BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
Assuming you're constantly working out, I wouldn't be concerned about losing too much weight unless you're feeling sluggish during workouts.

If you weren't working out and losing weight, then that could be a trigger for your body to start burning muscle, storing fat, and slowing down your metabolism.  All of which are not good.  It's the reson that diets involving cutting calories without exercise are really bad.

2011-01-24 3:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Current Weight: 137.5 lb (Total loss of 2.5 lbs.)

Weekly Goals:  First week of my training program.  Just do what I'm supposed to do--no more, no less.

2011-01-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3318856

User image

Champion
Everyone is looking good!

Got on a scale at the boathouse, weight is 147. feeling awesome.

Training goals: hit 60miles this week with two track workouts,
And get back on my bike for the first time in two months... That should be interesting.
2011-01-24 8:10 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Gosh I love me a recovery week!

unfortunately I'm getting the two shots of cortisone...one each foot tomorrow afternoon.  We'll see how that feels. 
2011-01-24 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3319348

User image

Regular
Weight: 201, for a weekly loss of 1.6 and a total loss of 42.8.  It's the last week I'll ever see a "2" at the beginning of my weight.

This week's goal: to log as much pool time as I can.  No focus on speed.  Just focusing on getting my technique right.
2011-01-24 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3319365

User image

_Deb_ - 2011-01-24 3:19 PM Weight: 201, for a weekly loss of 1.6 and a total loss of 42.8.  It's the last week I'll ever see a "2" at the beginning of my weight.

This week's goal: to log as much pool time as I can.  No focus on speed.  Just focusing on getting my technique right.

Awesome job on the weight loss thus far.

2011-01-24 9:29 PM

Lancaster
Goals last week were 5 workouts, which I hit even though most of them are short at this point.

Weight loss and keeping diet in check.  Down from 227 to 223 but really hosed myself this weekend.  The wife and I got out to dinner without the kids for the first time in ages and I opted for the ribs and duck instead of the turkey and lettuce.   Then yesterday the Steelers were playing in the AFC title game so the beer and snacks just added insult to injury.

Same goals this week for the most part.  Weight loss and focusing on counting my calories to maximize results.  Shooting for 5 workout days again this week as well.  Another goal that is less attainable would be to somehow brainwash myself into thinking I actually enjoy running.
2011-01-25 12:38 AM

User image

Had a good short run and masters class after work.

Got in a friendly debate on the treadmill about why Blake Griffen of the LA Clippers is over hyped with a co worker and 30 minutes was done before I knew it.

Masters class was also very productive.  I finally felt fast again without getting totally gassed.  We did a 100 yard freestyle where the first 50 was easy effort, then the last 50 was hard and still clocked a 1:27.  Which is faster than I was going recently all out.  And I was consistantly a few seconds faster in all my other sets than recently.

But here's the kicker.  So I think that my form is improving, so I ask the coach to quickly film me on his camera so I can see what I look like.  OMG, it was a rude awakening.  It was the first time I had myself filmed in almost a year and I look HORRIBLE!!!...or at least compared to what I thought I looked like.  He's going to download it to my flash drive and give it to me Wednesday, but I'm almost ashamed to let you folks see it. 

I thought I corrected most of my fish tailing, but it's still very noticeable.  And my kick is horrendous.  The caveat being that I have so much room for improvement just in simple form corrections.  It gives me hope that I'm actually strong enough to swim 1:30's over long distances...instead of the 1:50's that I'm stuck at now.
2011-01-25 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3319365

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
_Deb_ - 2011-01-24 9:19 PM Weight: 201, for a weekly loss of 1.6 and a total loss of 42.8.  It's the last week I'll ever see a "2" at the beginning of my weight.

Deb, I can't even tell you how awesome that is....you obviously know.  But seriously great job!
2011-01-25 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3319624

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-01-25 1:38 AM Had a good short run and masters class after work.

Got in a friendly debate on the treadmill about why Blake Griffen of the LA Clippers is over hyped with a co worker and 30 minutes was done before I knew it.

Masters class was also very productive.  I finally felt fast again without getting totally gassed.  We did a 100 yard freestyle where the first 50 was easy effort, then the last 50 was hard and still clocked a 1:27.  Which is faster than I was going recently all out.  And I was consistantly a few seconds faster in all my other sets than recently.

But here's the kicker.  So I think that my form is improving, so I ask the coach to quickly film me on his camera so I can see what I look like.  OMG, it was a rude awakening.  It was the first time I had myself filmed in almost a year and I look HORRIBLE!!!...or at least compared to what I thought I looked like.  He's going to download it to my flash drive and give it to me Wednesday, but I'm almost ashamed to let you folks see it.  

1:27 is fast for an easy/hard set for sure.  Can't wait to see the video!  Have you ever looked at that ad in the right had column for off-season plans?  Looks like the guy swimming is fishtailing and starting to cross over the middle with his left arm.  (I probably don't know what I'm looking at anyway)

Blake Griffen has been over-rated since his freshman year of college.
2011-01-25 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Had first masters swim this morning and love my class. Put in a good distance set and my coach seems to think I have a good stroke and show a lot of potential. Found some quick things that I need to work on such as my right arm is reaching over too far so I am not perfectly straight swimming, and secondly my stroke shortened up a bit throughout the set and she thinks that is mostly due to fatigue and something to focus on. Every Tuesday is a distance set as well as Thursdays alternate between distance and then sprints and drills. Apparently Friday's are almost non existant so I can get in some one on one coaching if I feel the motivation to go 3 days a week. We shall see about that

2011-01-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3319911

User image

Champion
all,

big congrats on the weightloss all around, everyone is making some nice progress,
And,
the same on the swimming, it looks like a lot of swim improvements across the board.

How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

2011-01-25 9:53 AM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Weekly goal: recover from surgery as quickly as possible. Having a deviated-septum corrected is pretty common, and this doctor has a great reputation, but I'm still nervous.

This morning: I'm freaking starving!! No food after midnight, and I don't expect to be awake from the sedatives until late this afternoon. I know I won't feel much like eating, so I figure I'll lose 2 lbs. This isn't the way to do it though. Maybe I can eat chocolate chip cookies and ice cream to recover?
2011-01-25 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3320209

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
newbz - 2011-01-25 10:49 AM  How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

I feel pretty good about marathon prep.  One more long long run. 

I'm more nervous about the Gator Half in March.  A lot of that worry is due to my in-laws being there.  Also, the swim times from last year are smokin' fast.  My swim has improved a lot in the last year but I'm still overcoming the fact that I'm an adult onset swimmer.  In other words, my swim creates passing opportunities on the bike.
2011-01-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3320221

User image

Champion
RBesecke - 2011-01-25 8:53 AM

Weekly goal: recover from surgery as quickly as possible. Having a deviated-septum corrected is pretty common, and this doctor has a great reputation, but I'm still nervous.

This morning: I'm freaking starving!! No food after midnight, and I don't expect to be awake from the sedatives until late this afternoon. I know I won't feel much like eating, so I figure I'll lose 2 lbs. This isn't the way to do it though. Maybe I can eat chocolate chip cookies and ice cream to recover?

haha that's the way to look at it. Last time i had anything surgery related done, all i could eat was ice cream for a day or two. it took a few months after that before i could look at it again!

You'll be fine and very happy you had it done.
2011-01-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3320221

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
RBesecke - 2011-01-25 10:53 AM Weekly goal: recover from surgery as quickly as possible. Having a deviated-septum corrected is pretty common, and this doctor has a great reputation, but I'm still nervous.

It'll be fine.  Funny story.  I had "reduction of turbinates" done as part of my septoplasty.  I was fine until they gave me eye protection because of the lasers for the turbinates.  Of all of the things to worry about, I was worried about the freakin' lasers!

Honestly, I think that you'll be really pleased with the results.

2011-01-25 10:28 AM

User image

Hugo, MN
I'm surviving day to day right now.  Work just has me swamped.  It's tough to motivate myself to do anything at this point.  Time to buck up and get it done though.

Oh, and the recent addiction to Lost with the Mrs is not helping... Tongue out
2011-01-25 11:20 AM

User image

Fall River, WI
Weighed 225 this morning.  Up 2 lbs from last week, but if that is all I gained after this last weekend, I'm happy with that.  I was expecting worse.

I'm pleased with my training right now.  I have started going into my workouts with a little less intensity.  I seem to have this feeling that if I am not giving 110% every time I workout that I was somehow slacking off.  I think it is this, along with being new to this much exercise that had me so whipped by the end of the week.  I am still getting quality workouts in, but leaving more in the tank for the rest of the week.  I can pretty much do all the distances for the Olys that I'm doing this summer so I think I'm sitting good considering my first tri is over 4 months away. 
2011-01-25 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
newbz - 2011-01-25 9:49 AM How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

Wish that my shedule would allow me to get some more workouts in, but all in all, I can't complain as I'm gettting ready to transition back home after a year over here.  Long overdue...then it's nose to the grindstone and get ready for race season.  Will be registering for the REV3 races in the next week or so...just that much more motivation!

2011-01-25 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
newbz - 2011-01-25 10:49 AM

How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

Training is going well..

swim is still sucking. The plan im on has me swimming 3 days a week.. and they are spaced out.. meaning if i swim mon, then i wont swim again until thurs (and its typically back to back workouts.. thurs and fri).. and its a big swim.. i need to be in the water at least 4 days a week..

almost seems that, i lose everything in those couple days off.. feel like im constantly rebuilding..

anyone else have this issue?
2011-01-25 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
newbz - 2011-01-25 9:49 AM all, big congrats on the weightloss all around, everyone is making some nice progress, And, the same on the swimming, it looks like a lot of swim improvements across the board. How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

Heck friggin yeah I feel good about my training! Last year at this point I was just running again and still 4 months away from swimming. My bike volume should be the same this month as last Jan, but it is a lot SMARTER this time around. My broken arm/dislocated shoulder really held me back in my swimming and forced me to build a late base last year from IMWI. This year opting out of IM and sticking to 70.3 's and training smarter and more consistantly I feel I am laying the baseowork for a very succesful 2011. I actually feel I could put together a much better IM this year then last, but that will have to wait until 2012.

My question to everyone else is do you feel your training smarter with your experiences last year? In other words have you learned from your mistakes and what you body told you in training last year to improve this year?

2011-01-25 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3321336

User image

chasingkona - 2011-01-25 12:03 PM
My question to everyone else is do you feel your training smarter with your experiences last year? In other words have you learned from your mistakes and what you body told you in training last year to improve this year?

I can definately tell the difference this year compared to last...which was my first year in tris.

Last year I was just learning the ropes...trying to build up to distances that I have never done before on the swim and bike. 

This year I feel like I'm focusing on much more quality in my workouts.  Each workout seems to have more of a purpose, whether it be recovery jogs or intervals on the bike.

I still have a lot to learn and am still experimenting.  I should be doing at least 4 races I've done last year, so I'm really anxious to see how I'll fair this year.
2011-01-25 6:17 PM

Lancaster
newbz - 2011-01-25 10:49 AM  How is everyone feeling about where they are in training right now? Are things coming along as you'd like, slower, faster?

All things considered, (I'm in central Ohio and I'm a wuss so no biking or running outside) I feel pretty good.  Got 5 workout days in last week and shooting for the same or six this week.  Workouts have been short for the most part (30-45 minutes) but I think I've benefited more from that than I would from 3 days of 1.5-2 hrs.

Running is coming along slowly.  In the 3rd week of a 10 week base builder.

Cycling has been tough but I can feel my legs regaining some conditioning.

Swimming has been non existent.  That's my best leg and I know it will be fine when I get around to it.  Now is just peak time for swimming in Ohio with sectionals, districts and states coming up for high school.  My Y has 3 high school teams as well as the Y team practicing every day so finding open time in the pool has been horrible.  I'm not too concerned though.  It should slow down in March and that's 2 months before my first scheduled race so that will be plenty of time to get the lungs up to par.  I was more concerned with improving my "running" over the winter anyway.
2011-01-25 6:19 PM

Lancaster
On a side note, has anyone used the free beginner 1/2 IM program on this site?  Is it decent or would I be better served to go get a book with plans in it?
2011-01-25 8:06 PM

User image

I had access to the details of the beginner HIM plan when I was a bronze member last year.  It looked pretty good.  As for the free plan...I suppose it's better than nothing.  I think it just gives general times that you train each sport.

I'm doing my own training plan for my HIM.  We'll see how it turns out.  Roughly, it's like this

Monday - easy 30-35 minute run and Masters class swim
Tuesday - easy 50-60 minute run and 50-70 minute ride (intervals)
Wednesday - easy 30-35 minute run and Masters class swim
Thursday - 50-60 minute run (with a few miles at tempo) and 50-70 minute ride (intervals)
Friday - 60-80 minute run.  Depending how I feel, it may be all easy, or incorporate some harder running.  45-60 minute swim either long OWS or intervals in the pool (50's and 100's)
Saturday - long ride 2.5-4 hours
Sunday - long run 1.5-2.5 hours

Mondays and Wednesdays are like semi rest/recovery days for me.  My masters swims are usually not that hard.  We usually only swim 1500-2500 in one hour.

I'm also heavy run focused because it's my weakness that I think I can make the most gains in.  And I also have a running race coming up in February.  I'll probably start mixing up one of the runs with a ride every now and then...or simply just cut out a run altogether once in a while to let my body rest.

Edited by tri808 2011-01-25 8:10 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57