2011-06-14 4:23 AM
in reply to: #3547623

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Stupid Question Time Again
jdiis - 2011-06-13 10:44 PM

Ok Mentor and gang,

I understand that I can't really build a lot of speed during the season.  But, how do I keep from going slower?  Today's run was awful again.  I didn't quite make 7 AM Ernesto, because I didn't go to bed until 2 AM.  I just was busy getting ready to move and didn't feel tired.  I did make it out around 8:30.  I'm thinking it must be mental, because I just seem to decide I don't want to continue running.  Suggestions anyone?

What is vDot?

How do you get spm cadence on your runs?

Why would my goggles suddenly start leaking?

Jackie, everyone - it is mental. There is a reason WHY we do all this. Everyone here has slightly different reason and I find it helpful to actually define it. It might not be so easy, you just have to be honest with yourself. Sometimes we think we know why we do it, but the real reason is different and when things get hard or not as planned, we might give up.

As an example, in my case I am still defining it... but basically, I wanted to be the guy who is fit enough to run a marathon every year, do an occasional triathlon and could take a kayak or a sailboat out in the ocean. Why? To live a life of adventure, look good and be healthy, have a decent phisical challenge and be fitter than people around me. Which is all pretty much a lifelong vision. Having a bad day, or week, or month is not going to change it.

This brings me to the to the excellent point made about money/speed and the focus on it... It was never a part of my plan and still isn't... Ernesto, I am being honest. While I may force myself to do some structred speedwork, it is not something that motivates me and I will have a hard time with it. On the other hand, I love doing longer distances. Just the fact I can run 30 something kms on the weekend, than take a shower and play with my kid or ride more than 100k anytime for fun - that's one of the results I love. I can't give it up or else the whole thing will die.

Sorry for a long post, but I got inspired by that excellent quote, thanks Chris.

2011-06-14 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Subject: I did the triahtlon
Hi Ernesto:

I did the triathlon anyways....I ranked 45 out of 46 females hahhaha. As you may recall I did not train properly. Swim was horrible especially the start, I could not see just sand and splashes... and that got me scared. Took me 31:46 the swim, bike was better 43:57...I was doing 45 so I am happy. The run....40:33...mostly a walk. I learned my lesson but I am not going to quit I am going to train properly!!!!! Finalr time 2:01:05.......
2011-06-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3547623

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Stupid Question Time Again
jdiis - 2011-06-13 10:44 PM

Ok Mentor and gang,

I understand that I can't really build a lot of speed during the season.  But, how do I keep from going slower?  Today's run was awful again.  I didn't quite make 7 AM Ernesto, because I didn't go to bed until 2 AM.  I just was busy getting ready to move and didn't feel tired.  I did make it out around 8:30.  I'm thinking it must be mental, because I just seem to decide I don't want to continue running.  Suggestions anyone?

What is vDot?

How do you get spm cadence on your runs?

Why would my goggles suddenly start leaking?

Nothing you can do to keep yourself from going slower in the heat Jackie, it has a profound effect on most people. Run early in the day (before 7AM) to keep your body from exhausting too fast. If it's too late in the day and it's already up in the 90s, you may want to call it off or go really easy to get a workout in. Bike is another option that is not affected by the heat as much.

About the vDot, it is a reference number that tells you at what level of running you currently are.

Here's a link to a vDot calculator (and finish time predictor): http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

About the cadence, there's a footpod that syncs with your garmin and it records your running cadence, but much better than that is to use a cheap clip on metronome that beeps your desired turnover so you can stay at that number. I paid $6 for mine.

Last, goggles leak because they are not the right fit. Everybody's faces are different so you need to try them on before purchasing (perhaps in a swimmers store) and make sure you get a good seal.

There's four things in triathlon that are EXTREMELY different between athletes: shoes, bike fit, saddles and goggles. All of them need to be customized to your body and style.

2011-06-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3547622

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
sirgab - 2011-06-13 10:43 PM
older2533 - 2011-06-12 2:07 PM

Gabe,

Great job!  2:45 in 96 degree heat is outstanding (although being Guatemala, I'm sure it was a dry heat. Cool).   A 9 minute improvement is also huge.  

Also, when looking for your race report (hint, hint) I noticed you are planning on both a HIM and a Marathon this season.  Are either or both of them new distances for you? 

Chris and friends, thanks for your messages and also congrats to everyone on the constant improvements!  For my race, it was actually both hot and humid since it is our rainy season and it really gets muggy outside.  As a funny story, I must have had "exhausted" written all over my face when finished the race, that one of the kid volunteers handing out water saw me sitting down and decided to help by pouring a bottle of water over my head, it actually felt so good Wink.

Chris, also thanks to your "hint, hint", enclosed is the link to my first race report on BT  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256469 

And yes, both my upcoming 1/2 IM scheduled for August and the Marathon in October are both new distances for me (similar to your races I believe).  From several years of inactivity, I started running less than a year ago and became hooked (did Guatemala City's 1/2 marathon in ok time for only a month of training).  I then added some biking and eventually got swimming lessons in order to attempt a triathlon (my 1st sprint Tri was in march of this year and Oly 5 weeks ago).  So like many of you, I became hooked on the sport and have been pushing myself to learn what I'm capable of.  I'm obviously nervous at times at the thought that I might be shooting for more than I can chew on at this stage, but I'm also working hard, learning along the way and committed to achieving those goals.

It's been great to have the groups support and insights along with Ernesto's expertise and constant guidance.  I now realize that I was erroneously pushing myself to go harder all the time, which is not the optimal way of training and building endurance for the long term.  So I'm very happy to be here at this important stage, learning from everyone's experiences and hopefully sharing back something useful as well along the way!

Cheers

Gabe,

I read your RR and I'm very pleased (and proud) of your acomplishments. I feel that in some way I succeeded too. Don't be afraid of taking on new challenges, a daring mind will go to great new places and situations. As long as you monitor your progress and keep on track with making INTELLIGENT EFFORTS in training, you can cover any distances.

Your execution on race day says that you're smart (and fit). Keep up the good work, you'll amaze yourself.Wink 

2011-06-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3547741

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: I did the triahtlon
yubi - 2011-06-14 6:05 AM Hi Ernesto: I did the triathlon anyways....I ranked 45 out of 46 females hahhaha. As you may recall I did not train properly. Swim was horrible especially the start, I could not see just sand and splashes... and that got me scared. Took me 31:46 the swim, bike was better 43:57...I was doing 45 so I am happy. The run....40:33...mostly a walk. I learned my lesson but I am not going to quit I am going to train properly!!!!! Finalr time 2:01:05.......
Great! At least you got a taste of a triathlon race, next time with proper training you will enjoy a lot more.
2011-06-14 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: More Questions

My questions are on effect on my performance.  I know I CAN do any of this, I just want to know what is beneficial and what may have a negative impact.

1) Can I swim as much as I want to, even if it's a second workout on the same day?  I'm actually really starting to enjoy the swimming.  It's getting easier, I'm getting smoother and stronger, and I'm not out of breath anymore when I get done.

2) I was due for a MAF test Friday before my race (30 days since last one).   Should I just go 5 weeks, which is today?  I'm assuming it's ok to do it even though I did an easy bike ride this morning.  I did the last one in the evening, so I was going to do the same time tonight. 

3) What should I be doing to get ready for the Oly other than increase time/mileage?  I need guidance on long vs short and rest days.  I've tried to look at several plans, but I just get overwhelmed.  You always manage to simplify it, so please do that for me.  Embarassed

4)  Please answer anything else I haven't thought to ask.

2011-06-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3548274

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

evillarroel - 2011-06-14 10:18 AM
yubi - 2011-06-14 6:05 AM Hi Ernesto: I did the triathlon anyways....I ranked 45 out of 46 females hahhaha. As you may recall I did not train properly. Swim was horrible especially the start, I could not see just sand and splashes... and that got me scared. Took me 31:46 the swim, bike was better 43:57...I was doing 45 so I am happy. The run....40:33...mostly a walk. I learned my lesson but I am not going to quit I am going to train properly!!!!! Finalr time 2:01:05.......
Great! At least you got a taste of a triathlon race, next time with proper training you will enjoy a lot more.

Congrats on finishing!  That's better than all those who didn't start.  Did you have fun?  Now at least you know what to work on.  It does get easier (since I finished my second one, now I'm an expert, ha ha Cool)

2011-06-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3548374

User image

Thanks!

and yes I had a lot of fun, and it felt wonderful crossing the finish line.
2011-06-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3548274

User image

Thanks my question now is ... Plan A Base training in all sports focused on getting fit for the rest of the summer and next race September.. so I will do 12 weeks of training or Plan B, set up a race date and train for 12 weeks for that race.

There is a bike ride in October 75 miles that I also want to do, but i wil be working out @ sea for a month (all August)

Thanks for the advice.
2011-06-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3548361

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: More Questions
jdiis - 2011-06-14 10:52 AM

^^^^THIS is really funny.

2011-06-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3547627

User image

Houston, Texas
jdiis - 2011-06-13 10:46 PM

To all of you who are "slowing" down to go faster:

It really works!  It worked for me on the bike and I guess it worked for me on the run.  But I remember complaining to Ernesto (just like all of you are feeling) that it was so dreadfully slow that I didn't even feel like I had worked out.  Be patient.  You will love the results!

Thanks, Jackie, please keep repeating this.  I feel very unfocused in my training right now.  Work pressure is high and seems I have no time at home either.  I did no training this weekend because most of my free time was spent trying to rack up training hours to maintain my CPA license.

Still, the reasons for me doing this still exist, so I read all of the posts here and get re-motivated.  Congratulations to all you who did races this weekend.  Sharing your progress really does matter to the rest of us!  As much as I want to do Bridgeland Tri on 8/7, I am enforcing the race abstinence suggested by Ernesto until my training improves.  Setting my sights on 9/25.

-Mike

2011-06-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3548361

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: More Questions
jdiis - 2011-06-14 10:52 AM

My questions are on effect on my performance.  I know I CAN do any of this, I just want to know what is beneficial and what may have a negative impact.

1) Can I swim as much as I want to, even if it's a second workout on the same day?  I'm actually really starting to enjoy the swimming.  It's getting easier, I'm getting smoother and stronger, and I'm not out of breath anymore when I get done.

2) I was due for a MAF test Friday before my race (30 days since last one).   Should I just go 5 weeks, which is today?  I'm assuming it's ok to do it even though I did an easy bike ride this morning.  I did the last one in the evening, so I was going to do the same time tonight. 

3) What should I be doing to get ready for the Oly other than increase time/mileage?  I need guidance on long vs short and rest days.  I've tried to look at several plans, but I just get overwhelmed.  You always manage to simplify it, so please do that for me.  Embarassed

1) Swimming has no negative effects on you, and it will hardly have an impact on the other two sports (at least negative). It might make you a bit more tired but that's fine.

2) MAF tests are to be completed under the same conditions of: weather, course, rest level and preferrably at the same time of the day. You don't meet at least two of those. It's not a strict schedule, do it some other time.

3) Volume increase and short speed workouts, just do ten percent increments every week and always follow the golden rule, don't train if tired. Short and simple.

4) As I told Chris on a previous post, Veronica (my youngest daughter) has been playing with my crystal ball and she threw it downstairs so the readings are inaccurate. I don't know what you don't know. Laughing

2011-06-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3548453

User image

Master
Dallas
yubi - 2011-06-14 11:26 AM Thanks my question now is ... Plan A Base training in all sports focused on getting fit for the rest of the summer and next race September.. so I will do 12 weeks of training or Plan B, set up a race date and train for 12 weeks for that race. There is a bike ride in October 75 miles that I also want to do, but i wil be working out @ sea for a month (all August) Thanks for the advice.
Plan A or B would work. The ride is a different story. You need to rack up a lot of mileage before October and that will not happen if you don't have access to a bike. I would say ditch it.
2011-06-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3548453

User image

Regular

yubi - 2011-06-14 12:26 PM Thanks my question now is ... Plan A Base training in all sports focused on getting fit for the rest of the summer and next race September.. so I will do 12 weeks of training or Plan B, set up a race date and train for 12 weeks for that race. There is a bike ride in October 75 miles that I also want to do, but i wil be working out @ sea for a month (all August) Thanks for the advice.

Will you have place to keep a trainer with tri/road bike? Its not the same as logging mileage but it will keep your legs going.

2011-06-14 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3549045

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-14 3:22 PM

yubi - 2011-06-14 12:26 PM Thanks my question now is ... Plan A Base training in all sports focused on getting fit for the rest of the summer and next race September.. so I will do 12 weeks of training or Plan B, set up a race date and train for 12 weeks for that race. There is a bike ride in October 75 miles that I also want to do, but i wil be working out @ sea for a month (all August) Thanks for the advice.

Will you have place to keep a trainer with tri/road bike? Its not the same as logging mileage but it will keep your legs going.

That's a good point, maybe there is a trainer or stationary bike that you could use.
2011-06-14 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3549045

User image

Trainer I am going to be on a research boat

2011-06-14 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3549289

User image

Master
Dallas
yubi - 2011-06-14 5:09 PM Trainer I am going to be on a research boat
If you have the patience to get on it then yes. I will get you a list of workouts to make it fun.
2011-06-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3549340

El Paso

evillarroel - 2011-06-14 5:53 PM
yubi - 2011-06-14 5:09 PM Trainer I am going to be on a research boat
If you have the patience to get on it then yes. I will get you a list of workouts to make it fun.

Ernesto,  I remember you mentioned on an early post that you have some training intervals for the treadmill and stationary bike, could you send them to as well..  My swiming is improving allot, I can actually swim for 800 ft with out stopping and my lungs have gain some experience and the panic is under some control,

2011-06-14 11:39 PM

User image

Regular

Few more questions for the coach (or other MAF adoptees):

1. MAF training feels great right now since its low effort. I am doing it with time focus (45mins) rather than distance and would like to increase it by 10% every week for next 6-8weeks. However at the end of workout, I still have plenty of energy. Should I increase my base to 60mins and take it from there? Or would that be overtraining?
  2. When I have to slow down, I still keep the run motion (swinging arms, small strides, slow pace). I could probably do more distance adopting fast walk at that point. So run or fast walk? 
  3. Its quite difficult to maintain the HR at 180-age perfectly. Today it averaged, 3beats under despite my best efforts. How do I fine tune this more?
  4. Breathing technique - I always through mouth when working out (also because its required for high O2 intake). But keeping at MAF, I am comfortable breathing through nose. Are there any downsides to not breathing through mouth all throughout during training?

It really feels like going back to the basics but atleast I am doing it correctly.  

2011-06-15 12:12 AM

User image

Corpus Christi

Hey Ernesto, long time no post!

CapTexTri went nicely!!! I finished in 2:41 well under my goal time of 2:45!  Plus, i beat all of my buddies that i train with, so thats a little bonus.

I have been keeping up with some training while working and going to school.  I signed up for the Oilman HIM in Nov. up in Conroe!  So I have been getting pretty excited. 

Cool to see the forum get so big!

ty

2011-06-15 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3546197

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Going Forward

evillarroel - 2011-06-13 11:06 AM

...  We are pretty much identical runners but my MAF yields an average 8 minute mile, you're two minutes slower.

That is good news for you though, it means that there's a LOT of room for improvement and it also means you've been training too hard, too long. Stay plugged with the system, be faithful and always keep in mind that it is going to feel counter intuitive at first. After a few weeks, you'll be thanking the running Gods you ever came to be in front of this book.

Ernesto,

By the way (and trying not to be TOO defensive), what heart rate are you running at when you do your MAF at 8 minute miles? I'm guessing around 148 beats per minute (180 - 37 + 5) given that I'm guessing you are about 37 years old and are adding 5 for working out so much in the past few years.  I'm doing my MAF at 132  bpm (180 - 48 with no adding 5 for having worked out a ton in the past).  

I guess my point is that while I'm willing to believe that 132 is the correct heart rate for me to be doing this kind of training, I'm not yet convinced that it makes sense to use speed at this heart rate to compare across individuals.  (Of course, you may have just been saying that my MAF pace being 2.5 minutes slower than MY half marathon pace is a sign of overtraining.  That is straight out of Maffetone's book.)  

Edited by older2533 2011-06-15 11:46 AM

2011-06-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3550512

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Going Forward
older2533 - 2011-06-15 11:44 AM

evillarroel - 2011-06-13 11:06 AM

...  We are pretty much identical runners but my MAF yields an average 8 minute mile, you're two minutes slower.

That is good news for you though, it means that there's a LOT of room for improvement and it also means you've been training too hard, too long. Stay plugged with the system, be faithful and always keep in mind that it is going to feel counter intuitive at first. After a few weeks, you'll be thanking the running Gods you ever came to be in front of this book.

Ernesto,

By the way (and trying not to be TOO defensive), what heart rate are you running at when you do your MAF at 8 minute miles? I'm guessing around 148 beats per minute (180 - 37 + 5) given that I'm guessing you are about 37 years old and are adding 5 for working out so much in the past few years.  I'm doing my MAF at 132  bpm (180 - 48 with no adding 5 for having worked out a ton in the past).  

I guess my point is that while I'm willing to believe that 132 is the correct heart rate for me to be doing this kind of training, I'm not yet convinced that it makes sense to use speed at this heart rate to compare across individuals.  (Of course, you may have just been saying that my MAF pace being 2.5 minutes slower than MY half marathon pace is a sign of overtraining.  That is straight out of Maffetone's book.)  

This one is at or below MAF:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88212547

The average is somewhere around 8:06. Never went above MAF. If rested, number can look even better, this was my first post IM run.

My whole point was that even though we run a half mary at the same speed (1:36 or 1:37 is the same) my aerobic numbers are waaaay different than yours. That said, you have a lot more growth potential than I do because your aerobic engine is underdeveloped and your anaerobic in great shape.

My MAF is 143(+5).

2011-06-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3549761

User image

Master
Dallas
tizon - 2011-06-15 12:12 AM

Hey Ernesto, long time no post!

CapTexTri went nicely!!! I finished in 2:41 well under my goal time of 2:45!  Plus, i beat all of my buddies that i train with, so thats a little bonus.

I have been keeping up with some training while working and going to school.  I signed up for the Oilman HIM in Nov. up in Conroe!  So I have been getting pretty excited. 

Cool to see the forum get so big!

ty

That is great news Ty! Captex is actually a pretty tough course (on the bike) and I heard that this year it was very windy too, so more power to you brother! Is the oilman the same as Ironstar? I may do it with you if that's the case, I'll make it my last race of the season.

Congrats on beating your buddies, that's actually sweet. I have this one dude in my office, I got him into triathlons (he was a trackstar in high school) and of course he's hooked on it. Now his sole purpose in life is to beat me (all this in a fun competitive environment).

Last week we toed off the line together (for the first time) and I beat him to the finish line by 56 seconds, but still got him!

2011-06-15 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3549740

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-14 11:39 PM

Few more questions for the coach (or other MAF adoptees):

1. MAF training feels great right now since its low effort. I am doing it with time focus (45mins) rather than distance and would like to increase it by 10% every week for next 6-8weeks. However at the end of workout, I still have plenty of energy. Should I increase my base to 60mins and take it from there? Or would that be overtraining?
  2. When I have to slow down, I still keep the run motion (swinging arms, small strides, slow pace). I could probably do more distance adopting fast walk at that point. So run or fast walk? 
  3. Its quite difficult to maintain the HR at 180-age perfectly. Today it averaged, 3beats under despite my best efforts. How do I fine tune this more?
  4. Breathing technique - I always through mouth when working out (also because its required for high O2 intake). But keeping at MAF, I am comfortable breathing through nose. Are there any downsides to not breathing through mouth all throughout during training?

It really feels like going back to the basics but atleast I am doing it correctly.  

1) You having energy at the end of the workout is a good sign. Everybody has the misconception that at the end of the session you MUST feel exhausted. WRONG! 10% increases are fine too.

2) Your running form and MAF are not related, as long as you keep your HR where it has to be it really doesn't matter what or how you do it. However good economic running form is paramount to endurance.

3) It doesn't have to be perfect.

4) It makes no difference.

2011-06-15 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Wow...  First Congratulations on finishing your tri yubi!!!!

Now, I went through and caught up on everyones posts.  Seems like we are all on the same training page.  I wanted to do the MAF test but I move in a month so everything will change so I figured I need to wait on that.  

I am ready to begin my aerobic base training.  Basically I need to start training to train.  Tomorrow willl be my first run since my race and I was wondering how long should I go for.  I figured I'll be running time not distance at this point..  

Thanks

Jen

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84