BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-24 4:05 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by collyd123

I am not a fan of the new BT! I miss a lot of what is going on in the thread. I know you all were talking nutrition a few days ago, and maybe I missed it, but does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast before doing a morning long run? I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Before a long run I will eat things like Larabars, bananas (also love Barnanas, which are dried bananas), or toast, etc.

Are there any alternatives to the applesauce meal for race day breakfast? I understand that this breakfast is ideal, but it won't work for me on several levels. I would really like a comparable substitute.

2013-05-24 6:44 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Originally posted by kidtri33

Originally posted by uhcoog

This recovery stuff is for the birds.

My baby girl Reagan turns six today. Wow so grown up. We narrowly averted a crisis by finding her American Girl dress to wear to school today so she can "Look extra pretty on her birthday."

Ear rings, worried about looking pretty for school, where'd my baby go????

To quote a country song "You're going to miss this..." each step along the way enjoy it because you will miss it. My girl is 12 now and it only gets worse. I am waiting for the fight of "I hate you dad!" I hope to be a rock start dad and that never happen though haha.

Second that - my older is now 11 and I miss the 6 year old. Heck, my younger is 8 and I miss the 6 year old.
2013-05-24 6:46 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Champion
Originally posted by kaburns1214

When should you eat breakfast?

You want to eat breakfast about 3:30 before an IM and 3 hours before a HIM (give or take a half hour). So with my 8:30 a.m. start I'll be looking to eat breakfast between 5:30 and 6 a.m.

Breakfast before a long course race should be low glycemic, hydrating , sodium rich, low in fat and high in BCAAs. Essentially you're looking for about 120-160g of CHO. The purpose of the pre-race breakfast is the improve race performance. I know many of you have heard this from me before but this is my pre-race breakfast of choice:

3 cups of unsweetened applesauce
1 banana
1 scoop of whey protein
1 24 oz bottle of sports drink

This breakfast is low glycemic, low in fiber, low in fat and low in protein and topps of glycogen, sodium and fluid stores. Obviously there are other ways to get in everything you need, but I think this is the easiest.

If its an IM I'll then eat a Power Bar 1 hour before the race starts, if its HIM I'll take a gel 15 minutes before my wave starts.

This is great info - so another question...how would you test this out to see if it works? What type of training workout should I be looking for on my calendar to run through a routine like this ahead of time??? (I'm thinking HIM specifically.)
2013-05-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Arguing why water is a bad option as your sole hydration source on the bike for a day like last Saturday with an exceedingly stubborn gentleman in the IMTX thread.

ETA: Kelly got a kick out of his tri club of choice when she was down here. Jockstrap Catapult.

So what should you use and why not water?

For IM branded races try and train/race with Perform. The issue with water, and the nutritionists/pros in Texas are hyper aware of it, is that it will thin out your blood sodium content. See you're trying to come close to matching the fluids in to the fluids out. When you're fluids out are filled with sodium and your fluids in are not you end up in a less than ideal environment for performance at best and a dangerous (see hyponatremia) at worst. The average IM cyclist loses 1200 mg of salt per hour. That's a lot to make up via sodium caps alone.

Then there is the fact sports drink has a better osmoality than water. Meaning that the absorption rate is better and it is quicker to metabolize than water. Plus it helps you meet your caloric goals and your carb goals on the bike.

If there was one thing I was REALLY happy about on the bike on Saturday it was my hydration. One bottle plus a little from the emergency bottle between each aid station and a bottle of water to hose myself off with.
2013-05-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by enders_shadow

When should you eat breakfast?

You want to eat breakfast about 3:30 before an IM and 3 hours before a HIM (give or take a half hour). So with my 8:30 a.m. start I'll be looking to eat breakfast between 5:30 and 6 a.m.

Breakfast before a long course race should be low glycemic, hydrating , sodium rich, low in fat and high in BCAAs. Essentially you're looking for about 120-160g of CHO. The purpose of the pre-race breakfast is the improve race performance. I know many of you have heard this from me before but this is my pre-race breakfast of choice:

3 cups of unsweetened applesauce
1 banana
1 scoop of whey protein
1 24 oz bottle of sports drink

This breakfast is low glycemic, low in fiber, low in fat and low in protein and topps of glycogen, sodium and fluid stores. Obviously there are other ways to get in everything you need, but I think this is the easiest.

If its an IM I'll then eat a Power Bar 1 hour before the race starts, if its HIM I'll take a gel 15 minutes before my wave starts.

This is great info - so another question...how would you test this out to see if it works? What type of training workout should I be looking for on my calendar to run through a routine like this ahead of time??? (I'm thinking HIM specifically.)

I know a lot of plans call for a race rehearsal. This could be a spot. Or just your longest training day. Turn it into a nutrition dry run. I know I like to schedule one or two over bikes with a short run to make sure the legs respond off the bike. These would be optimal days to test breakfast and bike nutrition.
2013-05-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA

1500m in the pool this morning.  Sticking with the snorkel during my non Master's workouts for now.  Not having to worry about breathing made it a lot easier to concentrate on my form improvements the coach suggested.  I could definitely feel the difference in the level of effort, and was able to roll my body better. 

Finally got my custom workouts loaded onto the 910 so I'll be able to hit my numbers during my run later today.

2013-05-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by jarvy01

I am not a fan of the new BT! I miss a lot of what is going on in the thread. I know you all were talking nutrition a few days ago, and maybe I missed it, but does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast before doing a morning long run? I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Before a long run I will eat things like Larabars, bananas (also love Barnanas, which are dried bananas), or toast, etc.

Are there any alternatives to the applesauce meal for race day breakfast? I understand that this breakfast is ideal, but it won't work for me on several levels. I would really like a comparable substitute.

You can use anything as long as its low glycemic, hydrating , sodium rich, low in fat and high in BCAAs. Essentially you're looking for about 120-160g of CHO. The purpose of the pre-race breakfast is the improve race performance.

Something like white toast with honey, a banana and 2 bottles of sports drink (or in Jen's case white rice with honey and banana and 2 bottles of perform).
2013-05-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Originally posted by kr140.6

This is a recovery week for me and the week I do all my assessments. I just finished my spinervals threshold test and I'm kinda bummed my numbers dropped.

Tomorrow is run assessment day. It should have been the other way round, I just didn't fancy running in the rain again.

speaking of Lake Placid, excited for you! I remember starting to feel rather overwhelmed this time 2 years ago, so hang in there if you are

How many weeks left until Lake Placid?

Anyone racing this weekend?

It's 9 weeks on Sunday. I'm scared silly and feel ridiculously undertrained.

The most important weeks are the 7 weeks before the IM. You still have time -- don't stress.
2013-05-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Arguing why water is a bad option as your sole hydration source on the bike for a day like last Saturday with an exceedingly stubborn gentleman in the IMTX thread.

ETA: Kelly got a kick out of his tri club of choice when she was down here. Jockstrap Catapult.

For IM branded races try and train/race with Perform. The issue with water, and the nutritionists/pros in Texas are hyper aware of it, is that it will thin out your blood sodium content. See you're trying to come close to matching the fluids in to the fluids out. When you're fluids out are filled with sodium and your fluids in are not you end up in a less than ideal environment for performance at best and a dangerous (see hyponatremia) at worst. The average IM cyclist loses 1200 mg of salt per hour. That's a lot to make up via sodium caps alone.

Then there is the fact sports drink has a better osmoality than water. Meaning that the absorption rate is better and it is quicker to metabolize than water. Plus it helps you meet your caloric goals and your carb goals on the bike.

If there was one thing I was REALLY happy about on the bike on Saturday it was my hydration. One bottle plus a little from the emergency bottle between each aid station and a bottle of water to hose myself off with.

The other pro for drinking sports drink is that's is easy -- you can fluids, CHO and sodium in one package. If you go with plain water you still need to get CHO and sodium so now youre dealing with additional moving parts. Race day is not the time to get creative. Its about doing what's going to get you from point A to B in the easiest possible fashion.

2013-05-24 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

The other pro for drinking sports drink is that's is easy -- you can fluids, CHO and sodium in one package. If you go with plain water you still need to get CHO and sodium so now youre dealing with additional moving parts. Race day is not the time to get creative. Its about doing what's going to get you from point A to B in the easiest possible fashion.

Bingo. It should be about what is the absolute simplest plan/combination I can come up with to hit my goals in cals/CHO/electrolytes. It's the selling point of Infinit that everything is in one package. To use Infinit on an IM though you have to super concentrate it and then remember the ration of Infinit to water you need to take in. Math isn't my strong suit when I'm not racing so........
2013-05-24 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winter is back in Cleveland. I did my run 3 hours ago, and I am still freezing to death. In the 30s with wind here. I need to move somewhere else because this is ridiculous. I'm leaving for the weekend in a couple hours. Rest day on Saturday / 3:30 ride + :35 run on Sunday / Rest day on Monday. Lots of good eating over the weekend with cookouts. Lots of good company as well. I get to spend the next few days with my 3 sisters

Edited by jarvy01 2013-05-24 10:47 AM

2013-05-24 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You can use anything as long as its low glycemic, hydrating , sodium rich, low in fat and high in BCAAs. Essentially you're looking for about 120-160g of CHO. The purpose of the pre-race breakfast is the improve race performance.

Something like white toast with honey, a banana and 2 bottles of sports drink (or in Jen's case white rice with honey and banana and 2 bottles of perform).

Thank you! I need it spelled out for me or I begin to stray......

I also tend to eat huge breakfasts because I'm so hungry, which is not necessarily the best thing to do before an IM. I'm not one of those people that can't eat on race morning because of nerves or something. I need food!!!
2013-05-24 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I also tend to eat huge breakfasts because I'm so hungry, which is not necessarily the best thing to do before an IM. I'm not one of those people that can't eat on race morning because of nerves or something. I need food!!!

Actually it's not the worst thing to do before an IM as long as it's food that clears your stomach fairly quickly.
2013-05-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Got my mile repeats in before the wind really started picking up here. Got hit by a little sprinkle but it felt good after the repeats. Tabata's tonight and softball games. Tomorrow is 3 hours on the bike w/30min run. Rest day and BBQ on Sunday afternoon. 4 weeks....

Edited by kidtri33 2013-05-24 11:09 AM
2013-05-24 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Just thought this was cool to share. It is a video of the bike course for the REV3 HIM I am doing.

http://rev3tri.com/news/williamsburg-bike-course-drive-thru-video/
2013-05-24 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Jen for you specifically I think 2 cups of white rice, honey, brown sugar and banana and maybe some berries and 1-2 bottles of sports drink would work perfectly eaten about 3 hours before the race.

2013-05-24 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jen for you specifically I think 2 cups of white rice, honey, brown sugar and banana and maybe some berries and 1-2 bottles of sports drink would work perfectly eaten about 3 hours before the race.

Kelly- would that work for me? And how much honey and brown sugar?
2013-05-24 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Fantastic! Thank you so much. I am going to try this next weekend before my race and report back.
2013-05-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by DDVMM

Kelly- would that work for me? And how much honey and brown sugar?

Yes it would. About 1 - 2 TB of each. Jsut make sure you get in the fluids pre-race as well. Applesauce has tons of water so when you swap rice for appesauce you need to make sure you're getting in enough fluids.
2013-05-24 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by kidtri33

Just thought this was cool to share. It is a video of the bike course for the REV3 HIM I am doing.

http://rev3tri.com/news/williamsburg-bike-course-drive-thru-video/

Nice!

We'll be there for the Oly - hubby is doing, I'm just chief cheering officer.
2013-05-24 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
So is this different on the run? I know our bodies can handle alot more on the bike, but I remember that when I did my marathons it seems like my taking in only sports drink seemed to upset my stomach and cause alot of GI stress. Is there a switch on the run to what you SHOULD be taking?

2013-05-24 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
So is this different on the run? I know our bodies can handle alot more on the bike, but I remember that when I did my marathons it seems like my taking in only sports drink seemed to upset my stomach and cause alot of GI stress. Is there a switch on the run to what you SHOULD be taking?
2013-05-24 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86