Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-05-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog .. I suppose this means I need a $5k smart treadmill

I mean...of course!!

Andrew:  "Honey, my watch was incrementally wrong on my distance today by about 0.1 miles and it's throwing off my vibe for my Ironman training that is over 140 miles, so I NEED a new treadmill.

You're not suggesting that success or failure in this sport is about the actual training you put your body through, not about what the numbers on our strava accounts say? That is sacrilegious, I will not have it!

The answer is always an expensive new toy!

2023-05-17 7:04 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi all! I’m trying to catch up and the first thing that caught my eye was Getchen’s post about the jog bra… yup!! As Nicole mentioned, any hint of moisture and it becomes it’s own training event. Anyway, I haven’t done much recently as we’ve had lots going on at home, both good and not so great. My oldest son committed to a university, yay! Deposit went in, we were all on board.. then he got called from a waitlist to a school he wanted much more, so, yay again… suck up the first deposit and start figuring out the other orange university and becoming a Slice… We’re a few weeks behind others so just trying to get his email up and running so he can get school emails about impending deadlines that are within the next couple of weeks… while I’m traveling.. On the other front, my father in law hasn’t been feeling great for a while and no one could figure out why. Then he had a mini stroke, caught in time; but within a week was back in because something still wasn’t right. Without getting into too much detail, he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My in-laws live about 2 hours from us so my husband is scooting down when he can. My father in law starts chemo today - but not the version they planned due to other things they’ve found. Blah, long story. He’s such a community pillar where he lives and stoic yet humble man. I’m so sad. Anyway, I don’t know what summer is going to look like for us and I’m out of town this week, home for a day and out again next week while everything is going on. Now is truly the time I should be working out every minute I can just to feel alive and be healthy and strong. Don’t put things off, folks, live life, travel, do what moves you.

Oh, F#%$!, Jenn.  I'm so sorry.  Cancer sucks.  I'm praying for a recovery but hoping for peace for your father-in-law.  As for you, what Andrew said triathlon and BDAS are here when it's right.  Hugs to your family.

And congrats on your son getting in to his dream school - hell a school deposit is a drop in the ocean compared to overall college costs so consider that a shot across the bow to your wallet!

2023-05-17 7:08 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by bulfrog .. I suppose this means I need a $5k smart treadmill

I mean...of course!!

Andrew:  "Honey, my watch was incrementally wrong on my distance today by about 0.1 miles and it's throwing off my vibe for my Ironman training that is over 140 miles, so I NEED a new treadmill.

You're not suggesting that success or failure in this sport is about the actual training you put your body through, not about what the numbers on our strava accounts say? That is sacrilegious, I will not have it! The answer is always an expensive new toy!

I'm glad we're aligned on this subject.  And Training Peaks is the ultimate arbiter of a successful workout with its evil colors on your "compliance".

2023-05-18 12:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I mean...of course!!

You're not suggesting that success or failure in this sport is about the actual training you put your body through, not about what the numbers on our strava accounts say? That is sacrilegious, I will not have it! The answer is always an expensive new toy!

I'm glad we're aligned on this subject.  And Training Peaks is the ultimate arbiter of a successful workout with its evil colors on your "compliance".

Mike! You're speaking my language!! I love a good all green week!
2023-05-18 12:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi all! I’m trying to catch up and the first thing that caught my eye was Getchen’s post about the jog bra… yup!! As Nicole mentioned, any hint of moisture and it becomes it’s own training event. Anyway, I haven’t done much recently as we’ve had lots going on at home, both good and not so great. My oldest son committed to a university, yay! Deposit went in, we were all on board.. then he got called from a waitlist to a school he wanted much more, so, yay again… suck up the first deposit and start figuring out the other orange university and becoming a Slice… We’re a few weeks behind others so just trying to get his email up and running so he can get school emails about impending deadlines that are within the next couple of weeks… while I’m traveling.. On the other front, my father in law hasn’t been feeling great for a while and no one could figure out why. Then he had a mini stroke, caught in time; but within a week was back in because something still wasn’t right. Without getting into too much detail, he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My in-laws live about 2 hours from us so my husband is scooting down when he can. My father in law starts chemo today - but not the version they planned due to other things they’ve found. Blah, long story. He’s such a community pillar where he lives and stoic yet humble man. I’m so sad. Anyway, I don’t know what summer is going to look like for us and I’m out of town this week, home for a day and out again next week while everything is going on. Now is truly the time I should be working out every minute I can just to feel alive and be healthy and strong. Don’t put things off, folks, live life, travel, do what moves you.

Oh, F#%$!, Jenn.  I'm so sorry.  Cancer sucks.  I'm praying for a recovery but hoping for peace for your father-in-law.  As for you, what Andrew said triathlon and BDAS are here when it's right.  Hugs to your family.

And congrats on your son getting in to his dream school - hell a school deposit is a drop in the ocean compared to overall college costs so consider that a shot across the bow to your wallet!

Aww...Jenn...sorry to hear this. Cancer sucks.
2023-05-18 12:38 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
48' interval run, followed by 60' Z2 ride on the dreaded recumbent. It is still awful. I'm counting down the days until I get my bike back!! Three hour ride on Saturday is gonna be a test--mental strength is part of triathlon, right?!?!?

I kinda just realized that this is the last weekend in my apartment. I leave for Somabay next Wednesday and then don't come back until Sunday. I have to move on Monday/Tuesday. So...I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. If you guessed packing, you're wrong. I'll be sitting on my balcony enjoying the Nile view as much as possible.

2023-05-18 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I mean...of course!!

Mike! You're speaking my language!! I love a good all green week!

So this morning I went 6 minutes over my planned time on strength training and it's freakin' yellow.  GRRRRRRR!!! 

2023-05-18 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This morning was my usual Thursday workout with a 45 minute spin bike ride, about 30 minutes of lower body and core work, then a short swim to cool down and stretch.  What was unusual about it today was that the normal group of older ladies who take over the pool right after I'm done for Aqua Aerobics were having their Preakness Party (for those of you who don't follow horse racing, and let's be honest other than three weekends in the spring no one does...,it's the second leg of the Triple Crown and it's here in Baltimore).  So the ladies went and did the sunrise tour at the racetrack and came to the gym in their fancy Black-Eyed Susan hats (some made of newspaper LOL) and had a party with horse-racing themed workouts and a full breakfast with mimosas on the agenda.

If you can't have a good day after seeing that this morning, you just aren't right. 

2023-05-18 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well the Garmin really lost it's mind on the treadmill this time.

Last night I did a 60 minute run, 30' easy Z2 followed by 4x2.5' Z4 with 5' rests. I know the treadmill speed had me bang inside my target pace zones for the hard intervals, but Mr Garmin thought I was running a little slower than my normal easy pace.

There is no other answer, I'm going to have to convince Mrs Bullfrog we need a smart treadmill...

Or I could just do the training and not worry about what shows up in the strava? But that sounds crazy just saying it.

Haha
2023-05-18 8:53 PM
in reply to: #5285451

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—I’ve had this issue with Garmin for years. It is like it sets your indoor pace or stride length or something when you start a workout and then doesn’t change it for the duration…no matter what you actually do. I used to run a lot at the gym track and if I started my Garmin at the beginning of the session, when I was walking a couple of warmup laps, it would be pretty close for those two laps, but all subsequent running laps would be recorded as slightly shorter than I knew they were based on track size, then the last two walking cold down laps would be pretty much bang on. Super annoying, because it meant I couldn’t just go run and have my watch do the distance tracking. 12 miles on a 7 lap per mile track sucks to track!!

I’m from Illinois, we have a proud tradition of vote early, vote often (?), so I’ll throw my second vote in for a big expensive new toy!
2023-05-19 3:33 AM
in reply to: #5285469

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ Z1 “run” followed by 3000yds in the pool at 6. Then a bit later (10:30ish) after a leisurely breakfast and coffee on the balcony, I did about 45’ of strength training.

During my swim, I realized I’ve never actually swum in the ocean. I’ve been in the ocean, but not done any actual swimming for distance. Tell me your secrets coastal dwellers!!! I’m from Illinois! You can’t get much farther from the ocean (at least in the US)!

2023-05-19 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 30’ Z1 “run” followed by 3000yds in the pool at 6. Then a bit later (10:30ish) after a leisurely breakfast and coffee on the balcony, I did about 45’ of strength training. During my swim, I realized I’ve never actually swum in the ocean. I’ve been in the ocean, but not done any actual swimming for distance. Tell me your secrets coastal dwellers!!! I’m from Illinois! You can’t get much farther from the ocean (at least in the US)!

Gretchen, I've never raced in the ocean but done a few OWS swims.  A couple of things:  1) the water is salty (and if you're swimming in the Med really salty) which can mess with your eyes and nose and if you can't stand the taste that will bother you, but the positive is it creates higher buoyancy so it's easier stay high in the water (important for a leg-dragger like me), and 2) you will get some wave action which you sometimes get anyway on lakes, and maybe a little current as well (and the beach entry can be crazy if you have bigger waves).

Also 3K in the pool for me this morning, so twinsies again. 

2023-05-19 7:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove 30’ Z1 “run” followed by 3000yds in the pool at 6. Then a bit later (10:30ish) after a leisurely breakfast and coffee on the balcony, I did about 45’ of strength training. During my swim, I realized I’ve never actually swum in the ocean. I’ve been in the ocean, but not done any actual swimming for distance. Tell me your secrets coastal dwellers!!! I’m from Illinois! You can’t get much farther from the ocean (at least in the US)!

Gretchen, I've never raced in the ocean but done a few OWS swims.  A couple of things:  1) the water is salty (and if you're swimming in the Med really salty) which can mess with your eyes and nose and if you can't stand the taste that will bother you, but the positive is it creates higher buoyancy so it's easier stay high in the water (important for a leg-dragger like me), and 2) you will get some wave action which you sometimes get anyway on lakes, and maybe a little current as well (and the beach entry can be crazy if you have bigger waves).

Also 3K in the pool for me this morning, so twinsies again. 

I'll be in the Red Sea, so plus side is not as salty, negative is...sharks. Not kidding...sharks.

Thanks for the tips! I already went and bought some sea sickness tablets. I've vomited before crossing the Nile on a massive ferry, so I'm taking no chances!

Twinsies!!
2023-05-20 4:35 AM
in reply to: #5285470

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Three hours on the recumbent. It might not be the absolute best thing for cycling training, but the mental toughness aspect cannot be overlooked.
2023-05-20 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Three hours on the recumbent. It might not be the absolute best thing for cycling training, but the mental toughness aspect cannot be overlooked.

That sounds like the worst indoor workout ever. 

2023-05-21 2:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Three hours on the recumbent. It might not be the absolute best thing for cycling training, but the mental toughness aspect cannot be overlooked.

That sounds like the worst indoor workout ever. 

I didn't even mention the sun was blazing in my eyes and my headphones died, forcing me to listen to muted Egyptian club music for two of those hours!

2023-05-21 2:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' Z2 run this morning, followed by 2000 yds in the pool immediately afterwards. Both felt surprisingly good, even though I was pretty sure my legs were going to fall off after yesterday's ride. I'm pretty sure I overclocked the intervals in that 3:00 ride. Who knows what each "level" equates to in watts?!?!

Race week is upon us! I leave on Wednesday, flying down to Somabay and then I have Wednesday and Thursday to do touristy things, before racing on Fri/Sat and then coming back on Sunday. So far, I booked myself a submarine tour of the coral reefs, a snorkeling trip (both Wednesday), and a parasailing trip (Thursday). I'm excited about this trip. It should be fun...the races and the adventure of vacation to the Red Sea. Hoping for no sharks!
2023-05-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

30’ Z1 “run” followed by 3000yds in the pool at 6. Then a bit later (10:30ish) after a leisurely breakfast and coffee on the balcony, I did about 45’ of strength training.

During my swim, I realized I’ve never actually swum in the ocean. I’ve been in the ocean, but not done any actual swimming for distance. Tell me your secrets coastal dwellers!!! I’m from Illinois! You can’t get much farther from the ocean (at least in the US)!

Well of my 20ish triathlons, 3 have been in fresh water, with the rest ocean. So I suppose I'm pretty experienced. IMHO, the differences between a freshwater and ocean swim:

No. 1, as mike said, it's salt water. You're going to float a little easier, so all things being equal will be faster than a fresh water swim. The negatives of salt are if you drink any water during the swim it's going to be worse for your gut than fresh water. So more of a concern than usual. And post swim potential chafing. The salt water on your tri kit is going to dry, leaving the salt behind. If you're going to chafe that's going to aggravate things and make it worse. So be generous with the bodyglide.

No. 2. Again as mike said, tides/currents. I'm not sure what it's like at your location, but the tide will be doing something, coming in or going out. Depending on the beach you're at and the course you could be swimming into or with the current. Or across it, which will pull you sideways and if you're not used to it that will mess with your sightings/navigation. Of course if your course is a square or triangle you'll get a combination of all the different current directions. If there is a pre race swim or orientation etc. it'd be worth going to to find out about currents. If not try and go for a swim the day before (tides get an hour later every day, so a swim at 7am will be the same current you get for an 8am race start the following day)

And of course with 2 races in the same day, the 2nd race the current will be different. So your sighting land marks likely wont work anymore.

Sharks? All the ocean has sharks. Just don't be the lead swimmer, or the slowest and you'll be fine. Hide in the pack. Haha.

Any specific questions, let me know

Edited by bulfrog 2023-05-21 4:29 PM
2023-05-21 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A good week for me. 8 hours of training time. The most since January 2022. And getting into the range (8-9 hours/week) I want to be comfortably doing before my training plan propper kicks off in a few months.

Swim: 0 First no week swim for 5 weeks. Unfortunately we had a sick little girl this week so swimming time (and the night before) was spent doing daddy duties.

Bike: x4, 4 hours total. 1 VO2max interval ride, 2 Z2 Endurance rides and 1 short easy one done as penalty for missing my swim.

Run: x4, 4 hours total. 1 interval, 2 easy treadmill runs. 1 90 minute 'long run' outside (only 2nd outdoors workout in a month)

Strength & Mobility, 0

This week, back to the pool. Plan is for 1,500m Friday morning. Run and bike, should be pretty similar to last week. But with different interval sessions to keep ticking all the boxes.

@Gretchen, Great job getting all the work done. Enjoy the touristy things. A submarine ride sounds awesome.
2023-05-22 12:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So be generous with the bodyglide.

Any specific questions, let me know

This is literally the most important piece of information anyone has ever told me about ows in the ocean. I mean, thanks for the other tips as well, but this is seriously important!!
2023-05-22 12:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It is a rest day for me!! Looks like from here on out, I have a rest day every week, which is so good for me--mentally and physically. It has been a rough several months with only one rest day per month(ish). I took the opportunity to sleep in a bit and then spend the early morning watching the sun rise on my balcony. I have to move next week, so it is probably the last time I'll have to just enjoy the Nile view without feeling like I'm time pressed. The sweating season has begun in Cairo though, so even at 6am, I was sweating just sitting on the balcony in the shade. I probably am not missing much in terms of balcony time, to be honest. Soon to be too hot to contemplate going outside unnecessarily.

2023-05-22 1:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPE
Swimming with sharks Gretchen? Why not? Normally I try to position myself at the back or on the side during the swim but here, I’d suggest staying right in the middle….
I guess that’s one way of speeding you up…I feel a new Swim PR or two coming.

Yes Andrew, I agree with the rest, you need a new toy. Simple as that

Mike, good to hear the back is slowly getting better

Sorry to hear about your father in law Jenn.

Nicole, These games can be addictive.

Had a good week, managed one swim 3 runs and 2 rides.
The band had our first proper gig, one hour in front of a (small) audience.
It was fun!

Big week at work, sales conference during the day, parties in the evening. I will reluctantly have a “rest” week. Rest from training only, it won’t be resting.
Planning on driving home every night, I will be shattered enough as it is, no need to add an hangover into the mix.

Have a great week BDAS!

2023-05-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPE

Hi, all.  Just finished up a huge week with over 13 hours of training including 6K yards swimming, 13 miles run/walking, and about 100 miles on the bike plus the usual strength work.  Much needed breakthrough week and now a much needed day off with 12 days to go to Rock Hall Olympic.  I did my last strength session on Saturday with my daughter and I'm feeling the results of that part of my training (not that it really matters racing but I feel good if that makes sense).

I have a few key workouts this week, then going to try to get in an OWS this weekend weather-depending before tapering next week.

@Nathalie - good call on commuting for the conference...I've spent too many of those trips exhausted staying up late (even if not really drinking much).  We had my team off-site two weeks ago and I barely had anything and was wiped all weekend when I got back. 

@Andrew - nice work on your base training...I think you will thank yourself when you start building

@Gretchen - I think you now have more than enough to think about for ocean OWS - now just go swim! 

Hope everyone has a great week!

2023-05-22 9:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I want to echo what the others said. I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Sending him and your family healing thoughts <3

And congrats to your son! Being at the right college is really important.
2023-05-22 9:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

This morning was my usual Thursday workout with a 45 minute spin bike ride, about 30 minutes of lower body and core work, then a short swim to cool down and stretch.  What was unusual about it today was that the normal group of older ladies who take over the pool right after I'm done for Aqua Aerobics were having their Preakness Party (for those of you who don't follow horse racing, and let's be honest other than three weekends in the spring no one does...,it's the second leg of the Triple Crown and it's here in Baltimore).  So the ladies went and did the sunrise tour at the racetrack and came to the gym in their fancy Black-Eyed Susan hats (some made of newspaper LOL) and had a party with horse-racing themed workouts and a full breakfast with mimosas on the agenda.

If you can't have a good day after seeing that this morning, you just aren't right. 

That sounds just amazing!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland