BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-27 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Question:

SO i have a HIM on saturday and this morning i woke up with a sore throat. I thought it was just a dry throat. As the day is going on..it feels more and more like i am getting sick (congested ears/tired/sore throat). I have been taking Cold-ez since sun night just incase something like this would happen. Im not shocked that i would be a little sick due to my large training volume the past 3 weeks (large for me).

I did a short swim this morning (500 Y) and felt really great!

I was supposed to do a 30 min bike this evening but im thinking i should go go into bed and relax.

Any suggestions on what to do until Saturday?

2010-04-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2820998

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm not sure if you're asking me but if I didn't have a race, I would train through that, in fact I did 2 weeks ago when I felt kind of sick. But with a race in a few days, you aren't building any additional fitness so just taper down.
2010-04-27 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
dharris13 - 2010-04-27 4:44 PM Question:

SO i have a HIM on saturday and this morning i woke up with a sore throat. I thought it was just a dry throat. As the day is going on..it feels more and more like i am getting sick (congested ears/tired/sore throat). I have been taking Cold-ez since sun night just incase something like this would happen. Im not shocked that i would be a little sick due to my large training volume the past 3 weeks (large for me).

I was supposed to do a 30 min bike this evening but im thinking i should go go into bed and relax.

Get plenty of rest, keep yourself well hydrated and obviously take it easy on any exercise you do, might even consider taking 2 complete completely off.  You're not going to get any "training" in for the race, so you might as well make sure you give your body as much time to fight the cold as you can.
2010-04-27 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2820996

Expert
bryancd - 2010-04-27 6:43 PM Hello Fred's mentor Group! Your awesome mentor has asked me to stop by to discuss and answer any question you might have regarding the specifics of the Ironman run training and racing. It is likely the single most important part of your race day you need to get "right" and as such can be difficult to prepare for a first timer. If your run doesn't go well, the race can get real long and real ugly. So much of the run during the race is impacted by the bike and we can also discuss that although I think Fred has already brought that subject up and he is well qualified to discuss the training and pacing aspects of the Ironman bike which are designed to put you into T2 in a position to complete your run. I'd also be happy to add whatever insights I can on that subject. So to begin with, when thinking about your Ironman run, the best place to start is with your prior running race history. Have you ever done a marathon? How did you do and what was your experience and training like for that? Because training for the Ironman run has many similarities except one unavoidable reality: It Will Be Slower. How much slower will depend on an individual athletes run fitness. It's often said a common rule of thumb is 30min slower but I find for most folks, it's a bit more, and that's ok. That doesn't mean you are going to train to run slower. You train to run a faster marathon from a pace and effort standpoint and then go into the race knowing that the same effort will result in less pace. So before I go on too far from these basics, does anyone have any specific questions? As a group, we will likely learn and discover more from sharing our experiences.

Thanks for coming here! It is a real pleasure to have you! and congrats on your race
2010-04-27 5:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-27 5:56 PM

Edited by PennState 2010-04-27 5:56 PM

2010-04-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2821016

Expert
PennState - 2010-04-27 6:50 PM
dharris13 - 2010-04-27 6:44 PM Question:

You are probably not getting sick. If you are tapering a bit it is normal to feel this way. Also, it's allergy season, stay calm and take vitamin C.

Awesome. Thanks. Thats a really good point...going from 2-3 hours a day to nothing must throw the body off
2010-04-27 5:59 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
Those of you who have been "putting up with" or "just riding through" male-numbness on the bike are insane.  I used to have similar problems and have not spent better money than on a cobb saddle.  It addressed my numbness issues completely (as did the adamo, but again the nose was too wide for my fit with them) and is just as comfortable. 

Don't be a numbnuts -- literally-- keep saddle shopping until it's fixed.  With the unconditional 180-day guarantee I don't think you can go wrong with cobb.  In fact, I've known of several people who ordred the V-flow plus and the V-flow max to try them both out, and then simply returned the one they didn't want months later.  But usually, again from what I've heard, you'll know pretty much right away.

Quick cobb story.  I bought mine and then crashed my bike about 2 weeks alter and didn't ride again for well past 6 months.  When I got back on the bike I was having some fit issues and contacted them to see if they could help.  I ended up speaking with John Cobb himself (people pay BIG MONEY to get fit by him) and he made a few suggestions to tweak my position and saddle a bit.  Said if I wasn't happy to send it back and they would honor the warranty (almost a year later).  Better than that - his suggestions were like heaven to my junk and I couldn't be happier with the saddle now.
2010-04-27 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2821033

Expert
PennState - 2010-04-27 6:56 PM
bryancd - 2010-04-27 6:43 PM Hello Fred's mentor Group! Your awesome mentor has asked me to stop by to discuss and answer any question you might have regarding the specifics of the Ironman run training and racing. It is likely the single most important part of your race day you need to get "right" and as such can be difficult to prepare for a first timer. If your run doesn't go well, the race can get real long and real ugly. So much of the run during the race is impacted by the bike and we can also discuss that although I think Fred has already brought that subject up and he is well qualified to discuss the training and pacing aspects of the Ironman bike which are designed to put you into T2 in a position to complete your run. I'd also be happy to add whatever insights I can on that subject. So to begin with, when thinking about your Ironman run, the best place to start is with your prior running race history. Have you ever done a marathon? How did you do and what was your experience and training like for that? Because training for the Ironman run has many similarities except one unavoidable reality: It Will Be Slower. How much slower will depend on an individual athletes run fitness. It's often said a common rule of thumb is 30min slower but I find for most folks, it's a bit more, and that's ok. That doesn't mean you are going to train to run slower. You train to run a faster marathon from a pace and effort standpoint and then go into the race knowing that the same effort will result in less pace. So before I go on too far from these basics, does anyone have any specific questions? As a group, we will likely learn and discover more from sharing our experiences.
Thanks for stopping by Bryan! I will start the ball rolling. Here are my experiences: In both of my ironman races I ran 'OK', but probably not as well as I'd like. I believe my stand alone marathon pace would be close to 3:10, so I was targeting a 3:40-3:45 run at LP this year. I am doing long runs in the 7:30-7:50 pace range. 1. What would you suggest as a longest run for someone doing their first ironman? 2. What sort of effort would you suggest? 3. What are the biggest mistakes that you see people make getting to T2 that affect their run? Thanks!

Also, i would love an opinion about a run-walk strategy. that is not something that i was planning on, but as a first time Ironman hopeful, is that something i/others should look more in to?
2010-04-27 6:13 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Bryan, that's for stopping in here, congrats on your race this past weekend too.

Got a question for you in terms up pacing.  My stand alone marathon time is yet to be determined for the most part. But I ran a 1:36 half a few weeks ago, have the San Diego Mary on June 6th (planning on pacing for a 3:20-3:25 time) and all my training is aimed at two races, IMAZ in late November, and I figure since I'll be in that kind fitness shape I'm going to try to BQ at the Marine Corp Mary on October 31st right before I start thinking about my taper for IMAZ.  So I'm expecting to be in the 3:08-3:10 stand alone mary fitness level (~7:14/mile pace).

Now, considering ~30minutes added to that, puts me around 3:40, 8:23/mile pace. I typically negative split all my races, from 5ks to marathons, but I've gotten better at being more even paced overall with just a slight negative by a few seconds per mile.  IMAZ will be my first IM, but I'll have 3 HIMs under my belt and 4 solo marathons.  I obviously don't want to go out and blow myself up in the first 13.1miles of the run, but I don't want to go out too slow either.  I was thinking I would start the first 2 miles off around 9:00/mile pace, then drop down towards the 8:20-8:30 pace for the next 10-15.  Re-evaluate myself at that point and decide whether to maintain that, speed up, or slow it down.  What kind of pacing strategies have you employed before during your IMs, what kind of adjustments have you been forced to make in the past, and have you EVER felt like you should speed up half way through the run (or is that notion of thinking I might feel good enough to go faster for the second half just a delusion?)
2010-04-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2821066

2010-04-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2821033

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
PennState - 2010-04-27 4:56 PM
1. What would you suggest as a longest run for someone doing their first ironman?
2. What sort of effort would you suggest?
3. What are the biggest mistakes that you see people make getting to T2 that affect their run?

1. VERY athlete dependent and it depends on time vs. distance. IF you have some good run fitness built up over years and recover well, you can run a few 20-22 mile long runs (like 2 or 3 at that distance only) during the peak weeks before your race. But again, that's assuming you can recover within a day and get back to training AND that run can be done in less than say 2:30-2:40. If that's a 3 hour slog fest I would say run to time of 2:30 tops and do that once or twice. You don't want to loose frequency of running due to excess volume.

2. Long runs in general should be done at the same RPE, pace, or HR, you would consider "aerobic". That's NOT marathon pace as a open marathon should be run at a higher intensity. What can make you r long "aerobic" run race specific is to add some open marathon paced efforts at the end of a long run, like the last few miles, where you increase the effort a bit.

3. Bad bike pacing for current fitness and blowing your nutrition by either taking in too many calories and fluids or not enough. It's usually the former that's the worst, people eat and drink WAY too much on the bike out of fear of bonking and then end up with a shut down GI. You can recover from a "bonk" in an Ironman as the rcae last so long, you can not recover from a GI that says no mas.
2010-04-27 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2821072

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I think Pete said he was racing the San Diego marathon in June, Fred, which is fine and will be a good run fitness indicator. No way you can run the Marine Corp one though.
2010-04-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2821046

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
dharris13 - 2010-04-27 5:00 PM
Also, i would love an opinion about a run-walk strategy. that is not something that i was planning on, but as a first time Ironman hopeful, is that something i/others should look more in to?

Currently I am a skeptic on that. If it's the ONLY way you can get in your run training volume, then it's fine and you should race that way, but if you are already running your long stuff, don't stop now and change.
2010-04-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2821044

Pro
Canandaigua NY

JoshKaptur - 2010-04-27 6:59 PM Those of you who have been "putting up with" or "just riding through" male-numbness on the bike are insane.  I used to have similar problems and have not spent better money than on a cobb saddle.  It addressed my numbness issues completely (as did the adamo, but again the nose was too wide for my fit with them) and is just as comfortable. 

Don't be a numbnuts -- literally-- keep saddle shopping until it's fixed.  With the unconditional 180-day guarantee I don't think you can go wrong with cobb.  In fact, I've known of several people who ordred the V-flow plus and the V-flow max to try them both out, and then simply returned the one they didn't want months later.  But usually, again from what I've heard, you'll know pretty much right away.

Quick cobb story.  I bought mine and then crashed my bike about 2 weeks alter and didn't ride again for well past 6 months.  When I got back on the bike I was having some fit issues and contacted them to see if they could help.  I ended up speaking with John Cobb himself (people pay BIG MONEY to get fit by him) and he made a few suggestions to tweak my position and saddle a bit.  Said if I wasn't happy to send it back and they would honor the warranty (almost a year later).  Better than that - his suggestions were like heaven to my junk and I couldn't be happier with the saddle now.

Thanks for the feed back on Cobb Josh, that is one of the attractions to their product is the warranty.

2010-04-27 6:53 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Bryan, I appreciate your input in our group!  (And congrats on a great race this weekend!) I have my 2nd HIM and 2nd IM this year, so I still have a lot to learn.  Throw in a little work travel issues and it will be a fun filled year. 

A question I have is this; after doing the Pfitzinger plan for a marathon this past January, I feel that the plan I am currently on is seriously lacking in running, but the bike volume is pretty good (I think).  Should I adjust the plan for the lack of running or trust the plan. (It is a bt plan for silver level members).  FWIW, I feel I run better on higher mileage plans, but have a tendency to be a bit lazy if the plan only calls for lesser miles/time.

2010-04-27 7:57 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
While I am not doing an Ironman, I am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and advice. Bryan, thanks for popping in.
I am doing my first HIM and am very worried about the nutrition aspect. I sweat a lot and the race day is sure to be hot as it is in early August. Adding to that is that I am going to be on the course for a LONG time. I have also been having some issues with nausea after running. It isn't due to going to hard or anything like that. I wonder if it is nutrition related.  Anyway, if you have any thoughts or advice about hydration/nutrition I would love to hear it.  My strength is the bike and my run is by far my weakest event.  I am sure the run will be my longest event of the day.
2010-04-27 8:28 PM

Master
Dunedin
Hi Bryan! Thanks for stopping by our little group!

I'm wondering how you decide on your race day nutrition...did you come up with it by trial & error or have you worked with a dietitian.  

Thanks! 
2010-04-27 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2820923

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
PennState - 2010-04-27 5:07 PM got a short run in today, anyone else get anything done in the training department today?

Still doing the local A group ride on Tues nights.  Great intensity, I am feeling stronger after all the multiple high intensity efforts experienced in the group rides.  I can see why folks say if you want to improve on the bike, ride with roadies.  

The flip side is I can really only do one of these high intensity rides a week, at least with my current conditioning.  They really put a hurting on the legs.  This coupled with some lower intensity longer mileage efforts will work well for my overall biking goals.
2010-04-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2821138

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
kenj - 2010-04-27 5:53 PM

Bryan, I appreciate your input in our group!  (And congrats on a great race this weekend!) I have my 2nd HIM and 2nd IM this year, so I still have a lot to learn.  Throw in a little work travel issues and it will be a fun filled year. 

A question I have is this; after doing the Pfitzinger plan for a marathon this past January, I feel that the plan I am currently on is seriously lacking in running, but the bike volume is pretty good (I think).  Should I adjust the plan for the lack of running or trust the plan. (It is a bt plan for silver level members).  FWIW, I feel I run better on higher mileage plans, but have a tendency to be a bit lazy if the plan only calls for lesser miles/time.

I am a HUGE fan of Pftiz and used one of his plans for my Boston Marathon in 2008. However, an Ironman run is very different in so far as it's impossible for most of us AG'ers to get in the volume of running he requires while still doing swim/bike. If your plan has a run week that's light, do a little more frequency, but go short. In general, though, if you trust the plan, stick to the plan.
2010-04-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2821244

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Kath2163 - 2010-04-27 6:57 PM

While I am not doing an Ironman, I am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and advice. Bryan, thanks for popping in.
I am doing my first HIM and am very worried about the nutrition aspect. I sweat a lot and the race day is sure to be hot as it is in early August. Adding to that is that I am going to be on the course for a LONG time. I have also been having some issues with nausea after running. It isn't due to going to hard or anything like that. I wonder if it is nutrition related.  Anyway, if you have any thoughts or advice about hydration/nutrition I would love to hear it.  My strength is the bike and my run is by far my weakest event.  I am sure the run will be my longest event of the day.

Dollars to donuts you are not getting in enough hydration/electrolyte during the day before your runs. Hydration and electrolyte replacement need to happen all during the week, nit just 20min before a workout. try picking up your water intake and add some more sport drink as part of your pre-training and recovery and see how you feel as the temps increase.

2010-04-27 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2821296

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
WittyCityGirl - 2010-04-27 7:28 PM

Hi Bryan! Thanks for stopping by our little group!

I'm wondering how you decide on your race day nutrition...did you come up with it by trial & error or have you worked with a dietitian.  

Thanks! 

I immediatley defaulted to what was ont he course and found it to be sufficient. Basically I lucked out. Otherwise it's trial and error, but always try to K.I.S.S.
2010-04-27 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2821094

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
 3. Bad bike pacing for current fitness and blowing your nutrition by either taking in too many calories and fluids or not enough. It's usually the former that's the worst, people eat and drink WAY too much on the bike out of fear of bonking and then end up with a shut down GI. You can recover from a "bonk" in an Ironman as the rcae last so long, you can not recover from a GI that says no mas.

This one would apply to me, I think I would be so worried about not taking in enough nutrition that I would over eat and have a shut down.  

I realize everyones nutrition will vary greatly.  For myself I am a really heavy sweater (picture salt crystals on my body after hot long workout), on top of that I weigh in at just under 200#s.  To me this means I need a little more fuel to carry me along compared to a lighter athlete.  I routinely see recommended calorie counts per hour, normally from 250 to 300.  On my HIM last year I took in around 320 per hour on the bike and dialed it back a bit on the run.  It seemed to work well. 

My concern is electrolytes.  Do normal gels and energy drinks provide enough without needing additional? For my IM my plan was to supplement with some endurolytes during the bike and run to provide added coverage.  Is there such a thing as overloading electrolytes or are they simply flushed from the system if not needed?

Greg
2010-04-27 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2821491

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GRB1 - 2010-04-27 9:03 PM  3. Bad bike pacing for current fitness and blowing your nutrition by either taking in too many calories and fluids or not enough. It's usually the former that's the worst, people eat and drink WAY too much on the bike out of fear of bonking and then end up with a shut down GI. You can recover from a "bonk" in an Ironman as the rcae last so long, you can not recover from a GI that says no mas.

This one would apply to me, I think I would be so worried about not taking in enough nutrition that I would over eat and have a shut down.  

I realize everyones nutrition will vary greatly.  For myself I am a really heavy sweater (picture salt crystals on my body after hot long workout), on top of that I weigh in at just under 200#s.  To me this means I need a little more fuel to carry me along compared to a lighter athlete.  I routinely see recommended calorie counts per hour, normally from 250 to 300.  On my HIM last year I took in around 320 per hour on the bike and dialed it back a bit on the run.  It seemed to work well. 

My concern is electrolytes.  Do normal gels and energy drinks provide enough without needing additional? For my IM my plan was to supplement with some endurolytes during the bike and run to provide added coverage.  Is there such a thing as overloading electrolytes or are they simply flushed from the system if not needed?

Greg

I am the same way when it comes to sweating and salt. I have also wondered about electrolytes, and what to use to help prevent dehydration.

Edited by Kath2163 2010-04-27 10:54 PM
2010-04-27 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2821575

Expert
Thornton, CO
Kath2163 - 2010-04-27 9:51 PM
GRB1 - 2010-04-27 9:03 PM 

Greg

I am the same way when it comes to sweating and salt. I have also wondered about electrolytes, and what to use to help prevent dehydration.

I'm interested to hear Bryan on this too.  I sweat a ton (not as noticably here in CO because of the dry climate, but I'll have visual salt around my eyes, face, down my arms, etc.) For my long runs and ultras I started taking electrolyte pills after talking to a number of ultra runners around here and it's helped me maintain my pace well into the 4,5,...8+ hour marks.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121