General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-05-01 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4723260

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

April totals:
Bike:  368.47 Mi  - 24h 12m 12s 
Run:  83.92 Mi  - 11h 59m 25s

Lower than I had hoped but I was on spring break for a week and gave myself a few days off.

2013-05-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I have wanted to hit up Pints, I am in for a pre, or post, visit.  They don't have food from what I have heard.
2013-05-01 11:43 PM

User image

New user

Southern California

I'm also late to the thread but will be doing my first Ironman at CDA. Unfortunately I'm still coming back from a torn anterior tibialis tendon in my right leg so my running numbers are still down but knock on wood I've felt great this week so hopefully I can increase my runs this month.  Major kudos for everyone still dealing with the snow and cold while training for this race. I'm extremely grateful i don't have to worry about that any more.

April's Totals:

Bike: 28h 27m 6s - 397.18miles

Run: 13h 50m 4s - 41.55miles +  a ton of water jogging

Swim: 8h 43m 2s - 23,584yards

2013-05-01 11:59 PM
in reply to: #4723291

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
We'll run past the Beacon Pub about two blocks from the finish line.  I have no idea what kind of shape I will be in, but if I can crawl, I'm heading there for an IPA.
2013-05-02 1:21 PM

User image

Regular

any takers for a 5:15 ride or so on Saturday? I'm imagining we can get in one loop plus most possibly some of the initial hills on a second loop out.

Weather is actually supposed to be fairly decent. 

2013-05-02 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4724420

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
spie34 - 2013-05-02 11:21 AM

any takers for a 5:15 ride or so on Saturday? I'm imagining we can get in one loop plus most possibly some of the initial hills on a second loop out.

Weather is actually supposed to be fairly decent. 

I wish I didn't have to work.  I am leaving early tomorrow at 11 to get my 70 miles in before it gets too late in the day.  Have a great ride planned departing from Fairchild, weather should be perfect.

On a side note, CDA water temp was around 46 yesterday.

Have a great ride on Saturday!

2013-05-03 10:35 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

No go on a long workout for Saturday.  I hope to ride 5 hours on Sunday or Monday.   I am planning a 60min OWS Saturday.   Rose lake is about 53 degrees.    

Ran 14 miles on the Marathon course yesterday.  It was actually hot.  I better get my caps out as the old bald spot got pretty red.

2013-05-04 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

Got in my first major brick yesterday. 6:15 bike and 30min run after. Nutrition seems good so far, I will need to watch my pace off the bike though - started out way too fast.

Day off today then 2hr run tomorrow.

2013-05-04 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I had a good brick yesterday as well, 70 mile bike and a 4 mile run, also came off the bike way too fast. 
2013-05-04 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

I just finished a big training day, 100 mile bike followed by a 10 mile run. I feel pretty good. I think that was the biggest training day I've ever had.

Stay strong!

2013-05-04 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Been lurking here from time to time, following the progress you are all making.  Wish I was racing with you this year but maybe next.  Thought I'd throw this out there since race week is getting closer all the time...I usually organize a bike course tour for you folks from out of town on Friday before the race.  So, if there are any of you interested, let me know and we'll do it again this year.  I can fit 4 in my truck and if there are more than that (there usually are), you can follow along in another vehicle. 

For all you locals, I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the weather today and have a great training day.  Although I don't envy you that ride back into town from the turn-around on the bike course...that headwind had to have sucked! 

Train hard, be safe.

2013-05-05 12:25 AM
in reply to: #4727507

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Flyboy - 2013-05-04 4:49 PM

Been lurking here from time to time, following the progress you are all making.  Wish I was racing with you this year but maybe next.  Thought I'd throw this out there since race week is getting closer all the time...I usually organize a bike course tour for you folks from out of town on Friday before the race.  So, if there are any of you interested, let me know and we'll do it again this year.  I can fit 4 in my truck and if there are more than that (there usually are), you can follow along in another vehicle. 

For all you locals, I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the weather today and have a great training day.  Although I don't envy you that ride back into town from the turn-around on the bike course...that headwind had to have sucked! 

Train hard, be safe.

I'll also volunteer my truck for a bike course tour on Friday for any overflow, or Thursday if that works better for anyone.

I'm riding about 70 miles on the course tomorrow, conditions should be just like today - pretty windy out of the Northeast, which is the opposite of the norm.  Ran 13 miles today - the first half was straight into the wind and it took seven minutes longer than the return. 

In addition to the wind, this is the first weekend of the year that we are into the seventies for temps - my Nathan belt got it's first workout of the year today and I'm starting to get tan lines... it's finally feeling like race season is upon us.

2013-05-05 3:29 PM

User image

Regular

Yesterday did 1 full loop plus the big loop again for well according to google maps 97.98 miles LOL. Of course my bike computer said I am going to mess with you today since it is a big training day so that is why i had to go off of google maps. no gps for me.

umm what can I say about it... the small higgins loop, wind both ways, hills that I wasn't expecting but they are small compared to the big loops hills so keep this in mind when you are practicing in your local area.  

The big loop hills some seem to just never end and with the wind working against you it can break you down mentally.  I rode with a guy who did it last year for a bit and he warned me of the wind. I told him I am going to expect it race day so if it is windy today works for me. So try to keep that attitude about the crap wind .

As to the hills themselves and what gearing I am running since I've been asked here.

I'm running 50/34 up front with 11-28 cassette. My crank is 165mm so pretty short compared to most others but it works for me as my legs were tired but not beat to crap from yesterday. Wheels are 700s just in case you are wondering. 

1st big loop out to turnaround. I believe I got to second easiest gear for couple hundred yards here and there to get HR under control. coming back, on the last steep hill, I dropped to the 28 to get HR under control again.  Wind was at my back going up this hill and I could of powered through but wanted to save my legs.

2nd big loop out, dropped to 28 a couple of times to control HR again. Wind was at my back or at least not in my face.  Coming back, dropped down to 28 like on first loop. 

Hopefully this helps you folks who might be wondering what to do for gearing. I will also say that I hope they get the roads swept up better as I have to replace my rear tire now. Got a good cut in the sidewall. Luckily didn't lose a tube. But quite a few sharp rocks on sections of the road still. 

Road conditions overall are pretty gosh darn good compared to what I am used to riding on so that is nice. There aren't a whole lot big bumps and such nor is the road torn up so much that you get vibrated to death either... the rumble strips though --- watch out for them. I misjudged once and got on them... lets just say they are amplified by about 20 compared to being in a car. I had to feel if all my teeth were still in place after going over one of those .

there are some good downhill sections that of course you have to climb back out of on the way back but you can do an easy spin to save your legs. I feel no reason to push on the downhills all that much as the gains you will get will be lost for the energy expended.

Hoping to get out again next weekend for a 4 hour. 1 full loop plus the small loop.

2013-05-05 4:38 PM

User image

Spokane
what a weekend! Did 90 miles on Saturday and skipped swim due to time, then today i did 14 mile run and skipped the bike due to being completely heat exhausted and tired from yesterdays ride haha. With that I'm still happy how this weekend went. The 90 miles went smooth i had 3 25oz bottles of 360 calorie bottles, and 50oz of water for the ride. With 4 gu's and have a PR bar. Ended up being 1600 calories for 5:15hr. Took in about 6 salt pills or so, got off the bike feeling tired, but not cramped up to crazy to where i couldn't walk.
2013-05-05 8:21 PM

User image

Grant, MI
Thought I had a decent weekend until I read what the rest of you did.  Friday, fighting the feeling that I was just too tired after a tough week at work, did a 1/2 mile OWS (our small lake is heating up too fast, erasing the opportunity to acclimate to cold water) then a brick of 1:15 on bike and 30" run.  Saturday did 90 miles on the bike but did not have time for the run as had to babysit our 2, 3, and 5 year old grand kids.  (Kind of glad for the excuse to skip the run - besides doesn't taking 3 energetic kids to the park for several hours count as a workout?)  Today did 7 mile easy run with tired legs and warmer weather than I am used to.  I definitely need to keep reading your reports to help change my "I'm just too tired" attitude to "This is what needs to be done and if other tired people are doing it, so can I."  Thanks everyone.
2013-05-05 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4728379

User image

Regular

ckunst - 2013-05-05 6:21 PM Thought I had a decent weekend until I read what the rest of you did.  Friday, fighting the feeling that I was just too tired after a tough week at work, did a 1/2 mile OWS (our small lake is heating up too fast, erasing the opportunity to acclimate to cold water) then a brick of 1:15 on bike and 30" run.  Saturday did 90 miles on the bike but did not have time for the run as had to babysit our 2, 3, and 5 year old grand kids.  (Kind of glad for the excuse to skip the run - besides doesn't taking 3 energetic kids to the park for several hours count as a workout?)  Today did 7 mile easy run with tired legs and warmer weather than I am used to.  I definitely need to keep reading your reports to help change my "I'm just too tired" attitude to "This is what needs to be done and if other tired people are doing it, so can I."  Thanks everyone.

At least you can get in for OWS. Too cold here as of yet.  90 miles on the bike isn't a bad weekend at all. Nice good workout Friday evening. I can barely do an evening workout.  I always say I will do one but somehow it gets pushed off (too tired or gotta do this or that at home that night). So I really try to make sure to do in the morning or at lunch.

The one thing that the program I am following has been mentioning is that you are going to feel tired, sluggish and not wanting to do it. Though listen to your body for signs of overtraining (ie not sleeping is one good sign) sickness, irritable etc.  But beyond those things you should just accept the pain, the sluggishness and think about it this way:  do the work now so I can enjoy the day rather than be miserable the whole day.  That has really helped me although a few weeks ago I was struggling with swim motivation (work was stressful and busy but not necessarily enough to skip -- i was being lazy so I say). but now the motivation is back.

if reading reports on here is what it takes for you, than keep posting your own and hopefully others will report on their big days to keep all of us motivated.  

Have you considered joining a mentor group here?

2013-05-05 10:30 PM

User image

West Jordan, UT
Got 105 in on the bike Friday morning, a 30 min OWS in 59 degree water Saturday, and a 15 mile run today. I came away from the weekend feeling great and confident! Biggest training weekend yet! On a side note, anyone do St. George of Wildflower this weekend? I wish my schedule would have allowed it. It would have been a great opportunity to test nutrition.
2013-05-05 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4727689

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
PrivateIdaho - 2013-05-04 9:25 PM

I'll also volunteer my truck for a bike course tour on Friday for any overflow, or Thursday if that works better for anyone.

I'm riding about 70 miles on the course tomorrow, conditions should be just like today - pretty windy out of the Northeast, which is the opposite of the norm.  Ran 13 miles today - the first half was straight into the wind and it took seven minutes longer than the return. 

In addition to the wind, this is the first weekend of the year that we are into the seventies for temps - my Nathan belt got it's first workout of the year today and I'm starting to get tan lines... it's finally feeling like race season is upon us.

Thanks Ron, I thought you might be up for that.  Hope you had a good weekend in the sun.

2013-05-06 12:34 AM
in reply to: #4728444

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Did 70 miles on the bike course today - my first ride off the trainer since last October.  I was really concerned how all the hours of TrainerRoad workouts would translate to the real world...  the bike is my weakest link, but  I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm running a 12-28 cassette and used the 28 about six times on the first loop - probably wasn't always necessary, but I prefer to spin than grind.  The two biggest hills on the loop I was able to easily maintain 80+ cadence and 8-9 mph. 

Took it really easy and used the brakes a lot on the descents, trying to stay between the rumble strips and guard rails while battling the winds, and avoid debris and keep distance from vehicles going 70 mph.  I spent months worrying about training on the highway part of the course, but I think the scariest part was the streets downtown - almost got nailed by a car that ran a stop light.

2013-05-06 9:27 AM

User image

Chicago

Guys, the gearing stuff is incredibly helpful to hear. thanks for sharing! Being in the mountanous region known as Chicago I've been heading out to the far burbs for my long Sunday ride/truns and I'm hitting 28 fairly frequently; however the longest climbs are only around 70 yards (climbs where 28 is mandatory, for me anyhow).

I've been looking at the bike map but cant seem to get too much of a handle on how long the climbs are, and it's been years since I've lived in CDA. Can you let me know your thoughts on how long the heavier climbs are?

The bike is by far my weakest of the three so anything additional you can share on riding the course is very helpful for us out of towners/mid westerners.

2013-05-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4727507

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Flyboy - 2013-05-04 4:49 PM

Train hard, be safe.

I can seat 4 more for this if needed as well.

I think we will see a huge warm up of the lake over the next week, it peaked at 51.08 degrees yesterday and we are expecting a week of low 80's for highs and 50's for lows!

2013-05-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4728995

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
Skipjack_50 - 2013-05-06 7:27 AM

Guys, the gearing stuff is incredibly helpful to hear. thanks for sharing! Being in the mountanous region known as Chicago I've been heading out to the far burbs for my long Sunday ride/truns and I'm hitting 28 fairly frequently; however the longest climbs are only around 70 yards (climbs where 28 is mandatory, for me anyhow).

I've been looking at the bike map but cant seem to get too much of a handle on how long the climbs are, and it's been years since I've lived in CDA. Can you let me know your thoughts on how long the heavier climbs are?

The bike is by far my weakest of the three so anything additional you can share on riding the course is very helpful for us out of towners/mid westerners.

The 3 big hills to worry about are on the longer out and back portion of the course.  The first hill (Mica Grade) you encounter is about a 2 mile climb (followed by an awesome run down the backside of it).  The 2nd big hill you'll encounter climbing up towards elder road and the plateau is a little longer (maybe more like 3 miles). You will hit a few smaller hills before the turn around.  You again get to fly down the 3 mile hill before encoutering the climb up the backside of Mica grade (another 2 mile steep climb).  There are other shorter hills throughout the course but if you are prepared for the big ones, the small ones will be of no consequence.  Good luck.  I wish I was doing IM CDA this year.  Hopefully I will see you all in 2014.    

2013-05-06 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
I'm running a 2011 P2 with 50/34 front and 12-25 cassette. Should I be worried about this ratio? 
2013-05-06 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4728995

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Skipjack_50 - 2013-05-06 7:27 AM

Here's the elevation from my Garmin for yesterday's ride.  That first big climb begins at the 18 mile mark and climbs from 2133 ft. to 2620 ft. - it ends at the 20.2 mile mark.  After the descent, it's a few gradual climbs for about eight miles to the turn-around.

The last big climb begins at 44.5 miles and ends at 47.88 miles, going from 2135 ft to 2620 - this one will be tough when it comes at the 100 mile mark on the second loop.

(cda_elevation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cda_elevation.jpg (15KB - 27 downloads)
2013-05-06 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I also had my biggest weekend to date.  Saturday I did 82miles in the hilly, but not mountainous country of mid michigan then followed that with a 8mile run at marathon pace (9:30).  I have decided Prigles are a must in my bike special needs bag.  Man I love that salty chip at about mile 50.  Overall I was really happy with nutrition and pace.     

I dreaded my usual sunday trail run, but I hammered 12.5 miles of great trails in 1:54.  I think I slept 12 hours sunday night............Thank God It's a recovery week for me.

Going to try out one of my favorite OWS locals tonight and see if I can get an hour in with cap and booties.  I hear the water is high 50s low 60s right now. 

I am for sure interested in the car ride on the bike course.  If the family is busy somewhere I'll have a mini van to transport a group if we need it. 

Great effort this weekend everyone.  I'm getting excited. 

Chris

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57