General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Im in for just about anything. I would really like to personally meet you all!!

2013-10-16 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
2013-10-16 10:16 PM
in reply to: Jorgito22

User image

Regular
Yes its plantar fasciitis on the left foot, peroneal tendonitis on the other. Such a strange combination. Ive been using the iced water bottle roller trick, topical NSAID cream, the works. Right foot better, but now developing calf strain over there. Probably just gonna bag the run training and let it heal for the race.

Socks, your post about zero tolerance is spot on. I am a vascular surgeon and have had very low threshold for crap lately. Ill return to nice doctor mode after FL I hope.

As in another thread, Im taking the fam to Disney next week and am looking forward to not swimming or biking the entire week. Ive been hitting the masters swim here locally and feel that has whipped my swim in shape. My bike riding is solid but haven't done enough of the long ones. At least Ill be able to get some running in around the park - I hope.

Will be heading down Wed night from TN. Looking forward to getting to the start.
2013-10-16 10:20 PM
in reply to: Jorgito22

User image

Champion
MA

Thursday:

8am Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center on beach side
12:00 Lizas Kitchen, 7008 Thomas Drive, PCB

Friday:

8 am:  Group Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel beach side (host hotel) near center

Sunday:
If interest pontoon to Shell Island and see the dolphins in pm

Let me know of you have other suggestions or other get togethers folks are putting together

2013-10-17 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by KathyG

Thursday:

8am Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center on beach side

Friday:

8 am:  Group Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel beach side (host hotel) near center

Sunday:

Let me know of you have other suggestions or other get togethers folks are putting together

I should be back from trick or treating to meet up for the Friday morning swim. I plan on going to the finish line, assuming I finish with enough time to go back, to watch the finishers. 7 finishes and I've never gone back to watch the midnight show. Maybe a tentative plan to meet up so we can cheer together and begin deconstructing our day?

Who else is signing up for next year?
2013-10-17 11:18 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Im taking the fam to Disney next week

Where are you staying?

2013-10-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: LSUfan4444

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Definately up for the group swim.  Inlaws are coming into town for the weekend so until my wife tells me the plans for them being there, I can't really commit much beyond that. 

2013-10-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: LSUfan4444

User image

Regular
Art of animation at Disney. Wish it were the swan/dolphin as they have a nice lap pool over there.
2013-10-17 3:15 PM
in reply to: Socks

Boy; these feelings sound familiar and believe me I can empathize with what you are saying. I am a cardiologist and need to talk about my patients getting some exercise all the time. Imagine how hard I have to bite my tongue when the tell me they " do not have time to exercise, are too tired to exercise, or have body parts that ache" all the while I am trying to get time to go do my workout and take care of them. I just keep plugging along and figure that my mental attitude will improve as I start to taper. Good Luck
2013-10-17 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
I might be up for the pontoon - how long is it? if it is more than 2 hours, can a future IMer (i.e., my 2 month old son) come?

I'll be spectating on Saturday if any other spectators want to meet up.
2013-10-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

I'm not jealous of you all, honest
I was unlucky in registering last November but I'll be trying again.
Anyways, the hard works all done now its time to rest, recover grow stronger. Good luck all

2013-10-17 6:04 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by papson14

Thursday:

Friday:

Sunday:

I should be back from trick or treating to meet up for the Friday morning swim. I plan on going to the finish line, assuming I finish with enough time to go back, to watch the finishers. 7 finishes and I've never gone back to watch the midnight show. Maybe a tentative plan to meet up so we can cheer together and begin deconstructing our day?

Who else is signing up for next year?

I have done 6 IM's and have gone back every time for the last hour, never disappointed. Who knows one of these times it might be be crossing the line at 12! Having a beer even makes it better, if all goes as planned, I'll see you there at 11 pm
2013-10-17 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Time to organize some BT get togethers.

Thursday and Friday morning swim meet ups, does 8am work for folks?

Thursday we could meet up for lunch as well....show up if you want.

In past years after the race we have rented a pontoon and gone to Shell island and looked for dolphins. Anyone up to do that on Sunday after the race?

Any interest in getting a list together of BTers to share cell numbers and share only with those who participate?

Any other ideas of things we want to do as a group? Mellow Mushroom pizza is always a great choice and if we arrange it we can get a big table upstairs.

I'm willing to organize since I'm not racing.

Not sure when folks are arriving. We always invite everyone so if you have family or friends they can come as well.

Count me in!  I'll swim on Wednesday morning as well if any one wants to meet on the back deck of the Boardwalk Beach hotel.

Lunch - Yes.

Shell island.  We had such a great time in 2010.  I'll have to check with my sister.  She may not be up for an outing that extensive. 

Is any one staying that long and interested in a little swim on Monday morning after the race?

2013-10-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Glad to see I am not the only doctor PUT OUT with their pts.................If you want to make time you will.  Because cardiologists, vascular surgeons and Orthopedists have SO MUCH extra time on their hands its SO EASY right?  Yeah I get up at 4 and train and go to bed at frigging 8:30.  I am trying REALLY hard not to say Are you f-ing KIDDING ME? to someone................like the bruised toe demanding narcotics...........or the shoulder pain with no injury and not even any injury at all even on MRI demanding narcotics..........................or fill in the blank........................Most days its a struggle to not slap people and tellthem to grow a spine and stop being such a weenie

Shell island YES swims YES!!  and Lizas kitchen is the BOMB!!! YUMMY!!  so is mellow mushroom.  What I think would be fabulous is a big picnic on shell island!!!  Last year I did a brunch after the race on sunday and after the whole finishers gear max out your credit card thing but it would be WAY more fun to take a boat out to shell island and have a picnic...............thoughts  

2013-10-17 7:23 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by Daffodil I might be up for the pontoon - how long is it? if it is more than 2 hours, can a future IMer (i.e., my 2 month old son) come? I'll be spectating on Saturday if any other spectators want to meet up.

We rent the pontoon and drive it ourselves. Normally we do half a day.

So maybe 30-45' ride out to Shell Island, then hang out on Shell Island which is usually empty of other humans, then ride back. Future IMers, sisters, friends, everyone is welcome. We need an approximate count as we reserve them....depending on how many are coming we will need 1 or 2 or whatever pontoons.

We are our own pilots so we do what we want on our time frame but need to follow the rules as to rental times and return by xxx time.

2013-10-17 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Anyone that has my cell number from previous years, I have a new number so PM me and I will give you my new cell.

2013-10-17 8:49 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Lexington, SC
I will be arriving late Wednesday so I'm in for the Thursday and Friday group swims. I hope to ride some of the bike course as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
2013-10-17 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I get in Wednesday afternoon so I'm up for group swims. Also I have every intention of coming back to watch the midnight finishers. The videos give me goosebumps hopefully I'll be well enough after racing to show up and not passed out in bed

Is it true that the merch tent gets hit hard at 7am day after race? No sleeping in?

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-10-17 10:04 PM
2013-10-17 10:32 PM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by aintaround Kona in the books - now time for a few days recovery, a couple days of build, then the long awaited taper.... Whew.

I was rooting for you.  How did it go?

2013-10-17 10:41 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by rjrankin83 I get in Wednesday afternoon so I'm up for group swims. Also I have every intention of coming back to watch the midnight finishers. The videos give me goosebumps hopefully I'll be well enough after racing to show up and not passed out in bed Is it true that the merch tent gets hit hard at 7am day after race? No sleeping in?

Nope - no sleeping in!    But if you want a GREAT excuse to get out of bed, schedule a massage for Sunday.  You have to pay, but it's worth every penny. 

2013-10-17 11:06 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Originally posted by rjrankin83

I get in Wednesday afternoon so I'm up for group swims. Also I have every intention of coming back to watch the midnight finishers. The videos give me goosebumps hopefully I'll be well enough after racing to show up and not passed out in bed

Is it true that the merch tent gets hit hard at 7am day after race? No sleeping in?

I stayed around for the midnight finish last year and it was great! So much fun. I was still in my foil blanket (even though I had finished a couple of hours earlier, but that's a different story) and watched the final 30-45 minutes. You should definitely do it. It is a great way to cap off the day. BTW, there was a free massage service that night, and I enjoyed a great massage after I finished. It's free and they generally cap it at around 5 minutes per person given the volume, but my person kept working on me for a while longer...and it was so great. That was probably one of the best things I did post race. The pizza was nice too, but the massage...

And yes on the early opening of the merchandise tent, but to be honest, I was very underwhelmed by the merchandise. I know a lot of folks are excited about the shirts or jackets, but I think WTC needs to work on its merchandising...

2013-10-18 6:41 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
OK IMFL friends, I need some encouragement.

I have come down with the plague (nasty cold); a gift from all of my co-workers who were ridiculously ill last week and decided to come to work anyway.

I was able to train Monday through Wednesday this week, but yesterday's interval ride turned into an easy 30 miles and this morning's 14 miler didn't happen at all. My HR was already 111 bpm when I walked out the door, which is about 40 bpm more than where it's at when I normally begin a run. So I smartly (I think) turned around.

My training has been solid up to this illness and if you had asked me how I felt about IMFL 5 days ago, I would have told you that confidence was high. Of course, now that I've had to scrap two of my last key workouts, confidence is slowly beginning to tank. The practical side of me knows that I won't undo many months of training just because I missed two workouts this week, but it's definitely doing some psychological damage.

I will be taking today and tomorrow as unscheduled rest days. Sunday is a 3 hour ride and I hope I'm OK for that. Argh.

I'm sure that others have experienced this and so words of encouragement, are well... encouraged!

Thanks all!
2013-10-18 7:00 AM
in reply to: shellabree

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
It is perfectly ok to take these next few days off to get over illness. Your body needs the rest so don't push it, or it'll take you longer to get better.

Sleep, eat warm soup, sleep, kick your feet up and watch tv, and sleep some more!

I know it's hard to convince your mind that missing key long workouts will hurt you, but like its been said here before, the hay is in the barn. Skip it and forget about it.
2013-10-18 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
If I was ill and were taking a few days off, I would not make my first ride back a 3 hour ride. Reduce it to maybe an hour with 3x10 intervals at race power/pace/heart rate. Seriously, don't push it harder because you feel good.

Then, hop off the bike and run about 20 minutes with 4x2:00 race pace/heart rate intervals. Then wrap it up.

Get an extra massage, stretch, do some core work, an EASY 30 minute swim.

Beyond this weekend, I wouldn't try and cram anything in. Your success on race day will not be determined from one single long ride or run but rather the base you have built and the totality of your fitness engine.

You cannot cram for this test and doing so can only do more harm than good. Right now, focus on training sessions to build confidence, not questions your ability. The next couple weeks will play with you emotionally, just ride the wave as it is part of the experience. Try and find a way to love it.

2013-10-18 8:52 AM

User image

New user

Sugar Land, TX
Originally posted by shellabree

OK IMFL friends, I need some encouragement....

• ..My training has been solid up to this illness and if you had asked me how I felt about IMFL 5 days ago, I would have told you that confidence was high. Of course, now that I've had to scrap two of my last key workouts, confidence is slowly beginning to tank. The practical side of me knows that I won't undo many months of training just because I missed two workouts this week, but it's definitely doing some psychological damage.

• I will be taking today and tomorrow as unscheduled rest days. Sunday is a 3 hour ride and I hope I'm OK for that. Argh.

I'm sure that others have experienced this and so words of encouragement, are well... encouraged!

Thanks all!

You said it, the last week can't take away months of physical preparation, but you say you need a psychological boost...check out this IMEurope vid in case you haven't seen it. Really cool and gets the confidence flowing!

http://youtu.be/tiDb--kwnmw
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41