BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
You all are my happy hour.

2012-04-18 1:55 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

I train by myself.  I don't mind running alone, but I wouldn't mind biking with a group.  It's also a schedule issue.  There is a group called indy iron women that started on facebook not to long ago.  Sometimes they coordinate group rides.  It's a good support group to chat with and possibly get to together with.  I might give that a go. 

Of course my sister said I could ride with her and her crew.  They are very fast and a little intimidating.  She said that if I get dropped they're not waiting on me.  Gee thanks sis, I think I'll pass. Frown

Edited by cggale 2012-04-18 1:57 PM
2012-04-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4158685

User image

Seattle
cggale - 2012-04-18 1:55 PM

I train by myself.  I don't mind running alone, but I wouldn't mind biking with a group.  It's also a schedule issue.  There is a group called indy iron women that started on facebook not to long ago.  Sometimes they coordinate group rides.  It's a good support group to chat with and possibly get to together with.  I might give that a go. 

Of course my sister said I could ride with her and her crew.  They are very fast and a little intimidating.  She said that if I get dropped they're not waiting on me.  Gee thanks sis, I think I'll pass. Frown

Ahhh hahahaha that sounds very sisterly! Actually, when it comes to sisters, I lucked out. I am 9 years younger than my sister so we kinda skipped out on all of the sibling rivalry and she just treats me like I'm her baby (oh and yeah...at 9 years, clearly an accidental baby LOL.)

I actually really, really like to bike with a group. I bicycle commute, so that is on my own but a lot of the times I get together with some of my friends and we ride up to a local brewery (noticing a trend?) and back. It's about 40 miles round trip.  The more the better! 

2012-04-18 2:12 PM

User image

Master
I'm in a bike group (called the Mello Velo's) and we have a blast riding together.  Riding alone just doesn't cut it anymore, but before them, it was all I knew.  Running is different.  I'm so slow, I only have 1 friend that is about the same speed.  Since we trained for the marathon together, it's hard to run without her now.  Others are definately a big part of my motivation to get workouts done.
2012-04-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4158715

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-04-18 12:06 PM

Ahhh hahahaha that sounds very sisterly! Actually, when it comes to sisters, I lucked out. I am 9 years younger than my sister so we kinda skipped out on all of the sibling rivalry and she just treats me like I'm her baby (oh and yeah...at 9 years, clearly an accidental baby LOL.)

I actually really, really like to bike with a group. I bicycle commute, so that is on my own but a lot of the times I get together with some of my friends and we ride up to a local brewery (noticing a trend?) and back. It's about 40 miles round trip.  The more the better

Friends or beer??

Edited by bcraht 2012-04-18 2:21 PM
2012-04-18 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4158764

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-04-18 2:21 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-18 12:06 PM

I actually really, really like to bike with a group. I bicycle commute, so that is on my own but a lot of the times I get together with some of my friends and we ride up to a local brewery (noticing a trend?) and back. It's about 40 miles round trip.  The more the better

Friends or beer??

Hahaha I had actually put time in the saddle but forgot to put period between T.I.T.S and got censored. 

I like your answer better though, friends AND beer! 

2012-04-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4156138

User image

England
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-17 6:59 PM

Thanks for the input.  it sounds like you all have a pretty good system worked out.  Now that it's golf season for him again, that will give me all of sunday mornings for something, usually running or a brick.  Other than that, we have the same work sched (8:30-6:00) and I'm in charge of dinners (self-appointed - please refer to the pepsi/cheez-it comment) so squeezing stuff in is hard.  I have managed to do some bike, swim and stregnth in the AM before work, but the flip side is it makes me more tired so I go to bed before him.  I guess the moral of the story is BALANCE! I'll find mine - afterall, I have only been doing this tri stuff for 3 1/2 months! Tongue out

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has some words of wisdom!  Plus, it just helps me get to know everyone better Laughing

I have similar issues to you. So far I have not had too many problems with it because i dont train as much as i want to and i have only been building up to a sprint, but i see things getting a little more fraught as i bump up the training. I try to do short activity sessions in the evening when i can get out for a 30-40 min run without any hassle because my wife will be watching her tv programmes. I save the longer stuff for the weekend and try to get it out of the way early so we can do stuff. I also try to involve my daughter (aged 9) eg. if i go for a run, i give her the opportunity to come and ride her bike alongside me. If i swim, i will only do the minimum i need to before going into the fun pool with her. She is very good about being patient whilst i do the required lengths.

Hope you find a solution to your predicament. I will let you know if i find new novel solutions.

2012-04-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4155847

User image

England

Tripopo - 2012-04-17 5:49 PM Awesome Allen you and me this weekend!

We will rock it man! Is yours a half maraton?

2012-04-18 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4158733

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

crews - 2012-04-18 2:12 PM I'm in a bike group (called the Mello Velo's) and we have a blast riding together.  Riding alone just doesn't cut it anymore, but before them, it was all I knew.  Running is different.  I'm so slow, I only have 1 friend that is about the same speed.  Since we trained for the marathon together, it's hard to run without her now.  Others are definately a big part of my motivation to get workouts done.

I can sort of relate to this.  I need to do some LONG rides in the next 3-4 weeks but it's pretty boring going solo.  I rode 50 last Friday, it was a good ride, but it was just me hammering in the wind etc.  One of my buddies just sent me an email asking if I would be down with 70 or 80 miles this weekend.  That's a good motivator.  Tonight I'm doing a group ride, not too fast but it's the whole camaraderie thing with beer/socializing afterwards etc.  To make it a workout I'll stay in the big ring up the hills etc.

Not many runners I know are the same speed as I.  Seems like they are must faster or much slower.  My running buddy is my daughter on her bike

But I do have a competitive spirit and that's what drives me to do the solo rides and run alone, and swim alone for that matter.  I want to be faster than the old "me", then faster than him .....

Solo runs are good because you can think about stuff (just like Forrest Gump thought about Jenny).  When at all possible I try to run on the trails during higher "traffic" times so you don't feel so alone, not to mention the delicious little piglets out there prettying up the place.

"Nuff said I have to get back to work.

Oh and BTW I just bought a new set of wheels, nothing crazy like $1000 Zipps, just some good quality wheels made by Neuvation (M28X Aero).  Picked a pair up for $207 incl. shipping.  Got some good help in the Gear Review section here on BT.

2012-04-18 3:48 PM

Extreme Veteran

Catching up again.  Had a sick kiddo the last couple of days to take care of, so no training on Monday.  We got in a "family ride" on Tuesday night (see my log for details) that nearly wiped me out.  Went out for a run at lunch today. 5miler and I've been dreading it.  I haven't done any serious running in what seems like forever now that I knew I was going to be suffering at the end.  And this was supposed at an "easy" pace.  Whatever.  Running is never easy for this Clyde (or soon to be not Clyde per USAT).

In anycase, reading some of your posts.  1st things 1st. Go get'em Allen and Kirk.  Remember to just have fun during your race.  Savor it.

As for the spouse stuff.  Maybe I can give the perspective of the guy that was once "that spouse."  My wife is the one that started out doing endurance sports and I was more or less the couch potato for years. She started training for a 1/2 marathon 3 years ago as a post pregnancy, get back in shape regimen.  She got hooked.  Then in 2010 she got the crazy idea to go do a triathlon.  She also happened to be tasked and be deployed that year too. She figured she could use the 6months in the desert to train.  She came back and I'd never seen her so fit.  She rocked her first triathlon (an Oly!) and it was at that moment that I decided that I couldn't sit on the sidelines anymore. I was tired of being overweight and out of shape.  I had been an athlete in HS (track of all things) but somewhere long the way just lost it.  Knee problems ended my running in college. Then career. 

When my 1st child was born I resolved that it was time to get back in shape. I wanted to be around to play with my kids and not be that fat assed dad on the couch.  So I started working out.  Of course knee issues came back (hadn't researched running form at all), discouragement and wife's deployment meant that training pretty much stopped.  I was more a less a single parent for 6 months that she was gone and had no time for anything.

When I finally got started I found I couldn't stop.  I was seeing progress in all three sports and just made me feel better about myself day by day.  Pants started getting looser and I found I could keep up with my kids more.  I had more energy for my family.  As for the spouse/training balance issue.  I decided to get my wife pregnant so I would get more time to train. Haha.

Now it is more of a juggling act but we try to take turns watching the kids while the other trains.  Often we'll run or bike togther as a family (thank you Chariot!).

As for the spouse attitude.  Well, coming from being "that guy" I can tell you I wasn't happy with myself.  I was certainly supportive of my wife and really admired her for her abilities.  But in the end I was unhappy not because of her training but because I was not where I thought I should be.  Ultimately it just came down to deciding and doing.  No eureka moment.  No kick in the pants.  I just decided I was tired of it and started to do something about it.  My wife, friends and BT have been great in helping me along the way though.

^

Fortress of Text.  Read at your own peril.

2012-04-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4158994

User image

Master
wushunut - 2012-04-18 3:48 PM

Catching up again.  Had a sick kiddo the last couple of days to take care of, so no training on Monday.  We got in a "family ride" on Tuesday night (see my log for details) that nearly wiped me out.  Went out for a run at lunch today. 5miler and I've been dreading it.  I haven't done any serious running in what seems like forever now that I knew I was going to be suffering at the end.  And this was supposed at an "easy" pace.  Whatever.  Running is never easy for this Clyde (or soon to be not Clyde per USAT).

In anycase, reading some of your posts.  1st things 1st. Go get'em Allen and Kirk.  Remember to just have fun during your race.  Savor it.

As for the spouse stuff.  Maybe I can give the perspective of the guy that was once "that spouse."  My wife is the one that started out doing endurance sports and I was more or less the couch potato for years. She started training for a 1/2 marathon 3 years ago as a post pregnancy, get back in shape regimen.  She got hooked.  Then in 2010 she got the crazy idea to go do a triathlon.  She also happened to be tasked and be deployed that year too. She figured she could use the 6months in the desert to train.  She came back and I'd never seen her so fit.  She rocked her first triathlon (an Oly!) and it was at that moment that I decided that I couldn't sit on the sidelines anymore. I was tired of being overweight and out of shape.  I had been an athlete in HS (track of all things) but somewhere long the way just lost it.  Knee problems ended my running in college. Then career. 

When my 1st child was born I resolved that it was time to get back in shape. I wanted to be around to play with my kids and not be that fat assed dad on the couch.  So I started working out.  Of course knee issues came back (hadn't researched running form at all), discouragement and wife's deployment meant that training pretty much stopped.  I was more a less a single parent for 6 months that she was gone and had no time for anything.

When I finally got started I found I couldn't stop.  I was seeing progress in all three sports and just made me feel better about myself day by day.  Pants started getting looser and I found I could keep up with my kids more.  I had more energy for my family.  As for the spouse/training balance issue.  I decided to get my wife pregnant so I would get more time to train. Haha.

Now it is more of a juggling act but we try to take turns watching the kids while the other trains.  Often we'll run or bike togther as a family (thank you Chariot!).

As for the spouse attitude.  Well, coming from being "that guy" I can tell you I wasn't happy with myself.  I was certainly supportive of my wife and really admired her for her abilities.  But in the end I was unhappy not because of her training but because I was not where I thought I should be.  Ultimately it just came down to deciding and doing.  No eureka moment.  No kick in the pants.  I just decided I was tired of it and started to do something about it.  My wife, friends and BT have been great in helping me along the way though.

^

Awesome!!!  I was the one on the couch as well and finally got going about 4 years back.  There have been ups and downs in training and many milestones hit.  I too am about to fall out of the Athena bracket according to USAT.  It is crazy exciting and a little sad at the same time. 

Keep up the good work!!!

2012-04-18 5:17 PM

User image

Seattle
wushunut - 2012-04-18 3:48 PM

^

This was so fantastic to read. Thank you so much for posting this. That last part is EXACTLY it. You just do something about it.

I think it is so great that you guys work out together as a family when you can as well. Very, very cool. Again, thank you for posting this. 

2012-04-18 5:32 PM

User image

Master
wushunut - 2012-04-18 1:48 PM

^

Awesome that you overcame the unhappiness with yourself to just decide and do.  I get so sad when I see people unhappy but refuse to do anything about it.  I think so often it is easier to stay unhappy than do the work necessary to make the change.  This reminds me of one of my favorite lines: 'Feel the fear and do it anyway'.

2012-04-18 7:29 PM

User image

Elite

Ah I'm having one of those emotional days - don't know where they come from when you suddenly think you can't do any of it!  A bottle of Shiraz will fix me up I'm sure!

Anyway swim squad last night - rocked!  Here's the workout - new drill for us was tennis balls.  If you want to swallow a lot of water I suggest you try swimming freestyle with a tennis ball in each hand!

Warm up set with fins

200m Freestyle (50m breathe left, 50m breathe right)

200m Backstroke

200m - 6 kicks one arm in front, lying on side then full stroke and turn to other side.

200m - 100m front scull, 50m mid scull, 50m hip scull

200m freestyle - 100m tennis balls, 100m free

200m - otter scull without kicking!!!  WTF - took us forever to get to the other end!

Fins off for main set

4 x 250m free (50m tennis balls, 200m free)

Pull buoy set

200m - breathing every 6 (100m breathe left, 100m breathe right)

200m - breathing every 5

200m - 8strokes no breathing, 8 strokes breathe normally.

After this there was another 200m set of sculls with fins but it was late and I cramp if I put my fins back on so didn't bother!

Felt like I made a lot of progress this week (except emotionally where i've regressed)  - ah just need a new moon, I know a lot of people struggling with April!

2012-04-18 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4158415

User image

Master
Central Kansas

TriAya - 2012-04-18 12:14 PM You all are my happy hour.

2012-04-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4159316

User image

Master
Central Kansas
jobaxas - 2012-04-18 7:29 PM

Ah I'm having one of those emotional days - don't know where they come from when you suddenly think you can't do any of it!  A bottle of Shiraz will fix me up I'm sure!

Anyway swim squad last night - rocked!  Here's the workout - new drill for us was tennis balls.  If you want to swallow a lot of water I suggest you try swimming freestyle with a tennis ball in each hand!

Warm up set with fins

200m Backstroke

200m - 6 kicks one arm in front, lying on side then full stroke and turn to other side.

200m - otter scull without kicking!!!  WTF - took us forever to get to the other end!

Fins off for main set

Pull buoy set

200m - breathing every 5

After this there was another 200m set of sculls with fins but it was late and I cramp if I put my fins back on so didn't bother!

Felt like I made a lot of progress this week (except emotionally where i've regressed)  - ah just need a new moon, I know a lot of people struggling with April!

Jo -- this is amazing. It's incredible to me that you all do 1200m as a warm up. How long does the whole workout take?

I'm sorry you're going through an emotional time right now. Sometimes fighting ourselves is the hardest part of the journey.

ETA: Thank you for posting these workouts. It gives me a much better idea of how I should be using my time in my own workouts.

Edited by KansasMom 2012-04-18 8:10 PM

2012-04-18 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Well, I tried to go too far in my Zoots yesterday. I wanted to go about 4.8 miles. I made it just over 3 when I felt like I had a small pebble digging into my Achilles, right above the heal. I stopped to remove the pebble, and it wasn't a pebble. It was a blister starting to form -- actually, I guess it had formed and broken -- I have a small open wound above my heal.

So, I took off the shoes (I entertained the idea of just suffering through the next 1+ miles home, but I figured the other foot would start hurting and I didn't want to make the whole thing worse), and walked, very carefully (it took half an hour!) back home on the sandy/dirt road.

At one point, I thought it would be easier to walk on the grass. OUCH! Horrible mistake. I immediately had goat head thorns in the soles of each foot. I had to stop and pick those out, then pick my way through the road back home.

It was still fun. I just know that I need to give myself a little more time to build up before I try to run too far in them.

It's a beautiful day/evening here. I'm hoping to go out for a short run (in my Sauconys -- with socks) after I get the little guy to bed. He's in the tub right now. What did we do before laptops? I love multitasking. :-)

2012-04-18 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4159376

User image

Elite
KansasMom - 2012-04-18 8:09 PM
jobaxas - 2012-04-18 7:29 PM

Warm up set with fins

200m Backstroke

Fins off for main set

Pull buoy set

200m - breathing every 5

Jo -- this is amazing. It's incredible to me that you all do 1200m as a warm up. How long does the whole workout take?

I'm sorry you're going through an emotional time right now. Sometimes fighting ourselves is the hardest part of the journey.

ETA: Thank you for posting these workouts. It gives me a much better idea of how I should be using my time in my own workouts.

Emotions under control - just had a text from an old friend who I've not seen or heard from in two years, isn't that nice!

that workout took about 1 hour 15.  We don't go the whole time, we stop for tips from the coach etc - a drink, a chat!  The faster lanes would get 3.5km done in an hour no trouble.

I think back to a year ago when I decided I needed to join a squad - how scared I was that I would look stupid - fast forward to today and I feel great, I look forward to squad days and hate if I have to miss them for whatever reason!  Yeah the hot men in speedos do help!

2012-04-18 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Well, I had an fun new workout tonight! 

It was this:

10 minute warm up on bike raise heart rate to zone 3

transition to run for 1/4 mile at 10k pace

then transition back to the bike for 5 minutes--first 2 minutes easy spin, then sprint pace for other 3

Transition back to run--go 1/2 mile at 5k pace

Repeat last two transitions 3 more times;

Cool down w/easy 10 min spin on the bike.

It wasn't an easy workout, but I enjoyed it--I was also drenched in sweat midway through it! Good times!

2012-04-18 11:49 PM
in reply to: #4159599

User image

Elite
kgore - 2012-04-18 11:11 PM

It was this:

then transition back to the bike for 5 minutes--first 2 minutes easy spin, then sprint pace for other 3

It wasn't an easy workout, but I enjoyed it--I was also drenched in sweat midway through it! Good times!

That sounds like my kind of workout - I love mising up drills and intervals (hence my love of swim squad) - you don't get bored, you get an intense workout and you're smashed after - what's not to love!

2012-04-19 12:06 AM
in reply to: #4158415

User image

Master

TriAya - 2012-04-18 10:14 AM You all are my happy hour.

This made me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

2012-04-19 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4159381

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-04-18 6:15 PM

Well, I tried to go too far in my Zoots yesterday. I wanted to go about 4.8 miles. I made it just over 3 when I felt like I had a small pebble digging into my Achilles, right above the heal. I stopped to remove the pebble, and it wasn't a pebble. It was a blister starting to form -- actually, I guess it had formed and broken -- I have a small open wound above my heal.

So, I took off the shoes (I entertained the idea of just suffering through the next 1+ miles home, but I figured the other foot would start hurting and I didn't want to make the whole thing worse), and walked, very carefully (it took half an hour!) back home on the sandy/dirt road.

At one point, I thought it would be easier to walk on the grass. OUCH! Horrible mistake. I immediately had goat head thorns in the soles of each foot. I had to stop and pick those out, then pick my way through the road back home.

It was still fun. I just know that I need to give myself a little more time to build up before I try to run too far in them.

It's a beautiful day/evening here. I'm hoping to go out for a short run (in my Sauconys -- with socks) after I get the little guy to bed. He's in the tub right now. What did we do before laptops? I love multitasking. :-)

Ouch!  This sounds painful on so many levels!  Glad you made it home ok. 

2012-04-19 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4159599

User image

Master
kgore - 2012-04-18 9:11 PM

It was this:

Sounds like a great workout!  I love them ones where the sweat is just dripping off--you finish knowing you have kicked the workout's a$$!

I had a 2 hour easy ride on the trainer planned, but had to shorten to an hour.  My son's baseball game ran long.  He played great, 2 base hits with RBIs, 2 good catches.  Only started playing last year, so fun to watch his progression.  Anyway, my ride was good despite being shortened; my peddling felt really smooth and even.  Focused on keeping my knee in as well.

AND...Canucks won!  Phew, staved off elimination.  Daniel back in, powerplay looked awesome!

Allen and Kirk, have a great time on your races this weekend!  Allen, you will have a blast; be a sponge and learn as much as you can.  You will both ROCK IT!!!!  WOOT, GO MANATEES!

2012-04-19 6:20 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Drive-by Posting-

Been following as much as possible but I'm in a re-cert class this week  for a very important, read mind numbingly boring, certification with a class of 11 pre-academy rookies!  Wow they are way too spunky, I could not have been like that 7 years ago right?

Going for my OWS as soon as I get out at noon today then packet pickup tomorrow, haven't been able to get much/any workouts in since I was studying but might have been for the best as the whole cough/cold is gone.

My relay partner for the HIM is freaking out about the chance of bad weather this weekend and it becoming a 10k 56 mile bike 10k format.  If it does that I'm breaking out the running shoes it looks like! 

Good S/B/R-ing all, except for you Yanti hope you are feeling better/resting happily with surf piglets fanning you in your hamock with the frozen adult troical beverage, and I agree this group would be an awesome happy hour party.

2012-04-19 7:00 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
wushunut - 2012-04-18 4:48 PM

^

That story is just awesome.  You 'get' it, and congratulations to you!!  Truly a great tale.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81