General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Duluth, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
I think the realization of Nov 2nd has finally started to hit me and I'm starting to stress. Mainly because I will be in Orlando for a conference the week leading up to the race and won't have the opportunity to get back home before we leave for Panama City. I have to prepare everything I will need for IMFL a week ahead of time. My wife will have to pack up the truck by herself and pick me up at the airport when I get back to Atlanta on the 30th at 5pm. We will head straight to PCB from the airport. I'm sure there will be something that I miss and a trip to Walmart is in my future. For those of you who said that you will be at the BOP, count me in as one of the ones bringing up the rear. Training hasn't gone exactly as planned this year and this race won't be pretty, but I will be there on Friday morning to sign up for 2014. Take care and good luck.

Bill

2013-10-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: yourecrazy

Originally posted by yourecrazy

I think the realization of Nov 2nd has finally started to hit me and I'm starting to stress. Mainly because I will be in Orlando for a conference the week leading up to the race and won't have the opportunity to get back home before we leave for Panama City. I have to prepare everything I will need for IMFL a week ahead of time. My wife will have to pack up the truck by herself and pick me up at the airport when I get back to Atlanta on the 30th at 5pm. We will head straight to PCB from the airport. I'm sure there will be something that I miss and a trip to Walmart is in my future. For those of you who said that you will be at the BOP, count me in as one of the ones bringing up the rear. Training hasn't gone exactly as planned this year and this race won't be pretty, but I will be there on Friday morning to sign up for 2014. Take care and good luck.

Bill

Bill,

Your travel plans may not be ideal, but take a deep breath, trust your training and just have fun out there. If you're not going after a Kona slot (and very few folks are actually in that lofty group....I'm certainly not), then it's all about having fun. Enjoy the day, enjoy the experience, and soak it all in - IMFL is an awesome race. And if you're missing something, Wal-Mart and the expo should have everything you need just in case. And oh yeah, don't forget to thank you wife...sounds like she's doing 'double' duty.

Good luck!

Brian

2013-10-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Having grown up in Florida I know it's way too early to talk weather, but I'm going to anyway. Has anyone seen the forecast for race day? Looks like a front is going to be coming through sometime around the race. Yesterday high winds were forecast for the 2nd, today for the 3rd. Of course going to make the best of what we're given but I sure hope we're not given 25 mph wind gusts
2013-10-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4489246

New user

IMFL Racers,
I have an extra King room at the Boardwalk Hotel (host hotel) in Panama City Beach on Wed-Sat night that I no longer need. If I cancel I will lose my deposit so wondered if anyone on this forum needed a room (or an upgrade). Cost is $159/night and you would have to use it all 4 nights to get that rate. You can email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Thanks! --Becky
2013-10-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: BeckyMac

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jasha!!!!I can't open the google doccument because my computer at woerk is AFU....Socks =Sue Ott Bib #505 finish time I am probably in the 14-15 hour range. I will be wearing a tri top with a grey CAT on it as I am raising money for an animal shelter this race. During the bike I will have my Team RWB top on. For the swim if you have a BT shirt wear it so you can find us. I will try to wear one of mine. SO excited!!! 7.5 more days of work!!!!
2013-10-22 6:37 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
MA

Some good information on IMFL here

Dragon Sports will set up at tent at Alvin's Parking near Expo. They do mechanical work and sell all things for tris like CO2, googles, tubes, and much cheaper than the expo. They do work on your bike for tips only or atleast they did when I used them back a few years ago. Jen DiCarlo used them as her local bike store when she lived near PCB.

2013-10-22 7:57 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

I won't really put much thought into the forecast until 5-6 days out. However, I am beginning to wonder about the water temps vs my long sleeve wetsuit. I saw a NOAA forecast of 79 degrees water temps today and it has been at least 80 in the past couple days. Another "surf" forecast site says 82 today but that one hasn't changed in several days so I'm not sure if it is broken. Anyway, weather is trending cooler now so I wonder if we're going to be in the normal mid to low 70s range by then. Any thoughts?
2013-10-22 8:02 PM
in reply to: speedzilla

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Yeah I live on the east coast of FL and understand not really trusting a forcast until 12 hours out. Athough all weather outlets are forcasting a front hopefully it won't be on raceday. Judging by the upcoming drop in temps I'm guessing the water temp will be 74-75 on race day, but I have a sleeveless suit and am not going to podium so don't really care I'll be wearing mine
2013-10-22 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by rjrankin83

Yeah I live on the east coast of FL and understand not really trusting a forcast until 12 hours out. Athough all weather outlets are forcasting a front hopefully it won't be on raceday. Judging by the upcoming drop in temps I'm guessing the water temp will be 74-75 on race day, but I have a sleeveless suit and am not going to podium so don't really care I'll be wearing mine

What would be the coldest water temp it could be....I only want to bring 1 wetsuit.....I was going to bring my full but 74 degrees seems a bit warm....thoughts?
2013-10-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Jorgito22

Originally posted by rjrankin83

What would be the coldest water temp it could be....I only want to bring 1 wetsuit.....I was going to bring my full but 74 degrees seems a bit warm....thoughts?

I'd wear whatever you'd be most comfortable in. I couldn't see the water dropping below 72, but don't quote me on that. I honestly don't see too much difference, temp wise, between a full suit or sleeveless. I just prefer sleeveless. However I've only swam 1.2 in a wetsuit. Morning temps are forecast for 53 right now

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-10-22 9:37 PM
2013-10-23 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
10 DAYS!! I am so excited. AND I get to leave in a week WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO RE water temps this is my 8th year up there plus I have done gulf coast. I think the lowest I have seen the water temp is 71 and the temp on the beach that morning was a frosty 31. Personally I see no difference in how warm I am in a sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit so I go with sleeves. I did a race in a full wesuit with sleeves at 78.9 (before they changed the temp cutoff) and I was fine. That is a detail I am so not going to stress over. Nor am I going to stress over weather (Can't control it just need to be as preapred as possible) Ceratinly I can hope for no wind and perfect temps but in the end all you can do is roll with what mother nature throws at you. Also not stressing about the weight of bottles. I can't believe people who agonize over this. I don't think a 2 pound bottle of whatever is going to make or break ANYONES race. Not even a pro...and as to the aerodynamocs of it...are you kidding? What you might be a second slower over a 112 mile bike ride? Are you seriously loosing sleep over this? You will ceratinly loose more time stopping in SN to get a bottle and for many people not having nutriton they are used to is a huge problem that has a bigger potential to ruin your race.

Edited by Socks 2013-10-23 7:04 AM

2013-10-23 8:53 AM

User image

New user

Sugar Land, TX
Hi All,

Wetsuit Talk - just curious, are there some who don't even wear a wetsuit? I've never worn a wetsuit in the three 70.3s I've done, even though most did, but I do wear a DeSoto speed suit, though I can't confirm how speedy it makes me. It makes the body smooth like a dolphin, ha ha...so it probably helps me glide a bit!

Bike Aid Stations and Special Needs - So far I've scanned over the Athlete's Guide and maybe missed it, but 2 questions: 1. Are the bike stations for a full IM very different from a half IM, as far as the # of athletes who stop, get off their bikes, walk around, eat and drink, etc. And if so, how challenging is it to get back into the line of bikes on the road? 2. Does everyone dismount at the special needs station? I don't suspect we go thru the bags while riding eh?

Blue skies in Sugar Land, TX, so one more long bike ride to go!

Thanks.
2013-10-23 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Socks

10 DAYS!! I am so excited. AND I get to leave in a week WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO RE water temps this is my 8th year up there plus I have done gulf coast. I think the lowest I have seen the water temp is 71 and the temp on the beach that morning was a frosty 31. Personally I see no difference in how warm I am in a sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit so I go with sleeves. I did a race in a full wesuit with sleeves at 78.9 (before they changed the temp cutoff) and I was fine. That is a detail I am so not going to stress over. Nor am I going to stress over weather (Can't control it just need to be as preapred as possible) Ceratinly I can hope for no wind and perfect temps but in the end all you can do is roll with what mother nature throws at you. Also not stressing about the weight of bottles. I can't believe people who agonize over this. I don't think a 2 pound bottle of whatever is going to make or break ANYONES race. Not even a pro...and as to the aerodynamocs of it...are you kidding? What you might be a second slower over a 112 mile bike ride? Are you seriously loosing sleep over this? You will ceratinly loose more time stopping in SN to get a bottle and for many people not having nutriton they are used to is a huge problem that has a bigger potential to ruin your race.

I agree us MOP and BOP athletes really shouldn't stress over bottles (even though I've put thought into it). However it absolutely makes a difference for FOP and Pro athletes. If weight didn't matter why do we/they buy carbon bikes, wheels, bottle cages. Anything to save a watt here or there can make a difference. FWIW a poor placed bottle would cost a FOP/Pro more than a second
2013-10-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Veteran
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Originally posted by yourecrazy

Bill

Bill,

Your travel plans may not be ideal, but take a deep breath, trust your training and just have fun out there. If you're not going after a Kona slot (and very few folks are actually in that lofty group....I'm certainly not), then it's all about having fun. Enjoy the day, enjoy the experience, and soak it all in - IMFL is an awesome race. And if you're missing something, Wal-Mart and the expo should have everything you need just in case. And oh yeah, don't forget to thank you wife...sounds like she's doing 'double' duty.

Good luck!

Brian

I AM going after a Kona slot - hey, it could be the 147 other peope in my AG will all take water from a contaminated source at the start of the bike, and I get Kona. However, although I am going after a Kona slot, I'm still going to have fun.

2013-10-23 9:24 AM
in reply to: salasman

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by salasmanHi All,Wetsuit Talk - just curious, are there some who don't even wear a wetsuit? I've never worn a wetsuit in the three 70.3s I've done, even though most did, but I do wear a DeSoto speed suit, though I can't confirm how speedy it makes me. It makes the body smooth like a dolphin, ha ha...so it probably helps me glide a bit!Bike Aid Stations and Special Needs - So far I've scanned over the Athlete's Guide and maybe missed it, but 2 questions: 1. Are the bike stations for a full IM very different from a half IM, as far as the # of athletes who stop, get off their bikes, walk around, eat and drink, etc. And if so, how challenging is it to get back into the line of bikes on the road? 2. Does everyone dismount at the special needs station? I don't suspect we go thru the bags while riding eh?Blue skies in Sugar Land, TX, so one more long bike ride to go!Thanks.
The aide stations are about 12 miles apart and are MUCH better stocked than at a HIM. No one really gets off their bike unless thay have tpo pee and there will be porta potties at all aide stations so you can stop someplace other than SN to pee. The volunteers will shout what ever it is they have to offer you. Point to the volunteer u want to take an item from and they will hand it to you. For SN they will have someone with a bull horn calling out your race number as you approach and runners to get your bag. Grab it and ride thru. If you want to stop you can. It is not challnenging to get going again at all. If you dont need anything at an aide staion or at SN I would suggest staying wide of the hand off area and be very vigilant. People are a bit swervy thru this section.
2013-10-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by sheesleeva
Originally posted by LarchmontTri
Originally posted by yourecrazyI think the realization of Nov 2nd has finally started to hit me and I'm starting to stress. Mainly because I will be in Orlando for a conference the week leading up to the race and won't have the opportunity to get back home before we leave for Panama City. I have to prepare everything I will need for IMFL a week ahead of time. My wife will have to pack up the truck by herself and pick me up at the airport when I get back to Atlanta on the 30th at 5pm. We will head straight to PCB from the airport. I'm sure there will be something that I miss and a trip to Walmart is in my future. For those of you who said that you will be at the BOP, count me in as one of the ones bringing up the rear. Training hasn't gone exactly as planned this year and this race won't be pretty, but I will be there on Friday morning to sign up for 2014. Take care and good luck. Bill #2555
Bill,Your travel plans may not be ideal, but take a deep breath, trust your training and just have fun out there. If you're not going after a Kona slot (and very few folks are actually in that lofty group....I'm certainly not), then it's all about having fun. Enjoy the day, enjoy the experience, and soak it all in - IMFL is an awesome race. And if you're missing something, Wal-Mart and the expo should have everything you need just in case. And oh yeah, don't forget to thank you wife...sounds like she's doing 'double' duty.Good luck!Brian
I AM going after a Kona slot - hey, it could be the 147 other peope in my AG will all take water from a contaminated source at the start of the bike, and I get Kona. However, although I am going after a Kona slot, I'm still going to have fun.
SARC FONT LOL you better not carry ANY bottles with you then because then your bike will no longer be aero and 20oz heavier so that will do you in...snerk (I can say that to her because she is my buddy and will see the irony although I know most people will tell me what an idiot I am..............)

2013-10-23 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Aid stations on the bike and run they try to lay out in the same order of supplies for each aid station....so it may be water, perform, gels, water perform. After the first aid station or two you will see how the lay out. It may also be in the athletes guide what the aid station lay out is. If you go out on the course before race day they have sprayed the exact lay out on the road and what will be where.  It helps with safety.

On the bike you can roll through without stopping by pointing and yelling and making a grab. I try to get what I need in the beginning so if I mess up I have another shot at what I need at the back end of the aid station but to date I've always gotten what I wanted no srops.  Watch out for other cyclists in the aid station area.

Bike special needs, will have someone yell out your number with a megaphone as you turn around. One year it was HS students and the next it was some military guys ( much better) , the goal is to pull your sn need bag so you can just ride up to the the section your number is and bag is waiting to be handed to you. Listen and if they miss your number yell it out and they will help you.

I've stopped for my sn bag and it may have taken 30 seconds or less not 2-3 minutes like many think.

Bike SN is spread out over quite a long ways maybe 100 yards or more. If you want to stop for port a potty in SN you may really be making two stops one where your sn bag is and another for the port a potty.

2013-10-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Off to take the bike to the shop for its race day tune up. Stay healthy
2013-10-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Bike shipped out today. Swamped at work and with prep so I'm looking forward to flying out next Wed.
2013-10-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: leapdog

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Just returned from a business trip to Florida, now I can start to really think about the race.  Time to start packing, etc. although I don't have to be quite as careful as we are driving so I can throw in about anything I could possibly need.

As far as aid stations on the bike, please be alert and careful navigating through them. 

2013-10-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4489246

User image

Duluth, GA
I keep hearing about a 5 mile section of bumpy road at the mid point of the bike route that caused several flat tires. Has anyone heard if this part has been repaved or been addressed in any way?

2013-10-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Everything I keep hearing=it's still there around SN. Haven't heard of flat tires but lots of stories about bottle launches
2013-10-23 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
I dont leave until Wednesday but dropped off my bike today at the LBS and Bam!! It just got very real. Good luck to everybody. See ya'll in PCB!!!
2013-10-23 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Everything I keep hearing=it's still there around SN. Haven't heard of flat tires but lots of stories about bottle launches

...This^^^^ Plus folks ride all over the road trying to find the smoother part....there isn't any. Some like riding the paint on far right.

2013-10-24 5:54 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Everything I keep hearing=it's still there around SN. Haven't heard of flat tires but lots of stories about bottle launches

...This^^^^ Plus folks ride all over the road trying to find the smoother part....there isn't any. Some like riding the paint on far right.

Ditto.  the road does suck but its only for about 10 miles.  I dont' know I have ever seen anyone flat out there but there is a LOT of stuff that has been ejected off bikes.  Bottles, gels you name it.  If it can be attached to a bike its been ejected off on that road.  the road is also severely banked esp on the OUT portion.  You just need to suck it up and be very careful.  People do swerve a lot as Kathy said and race debris everywhere.  There is no smooth portion of road.  Its a SIUBC momment

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41