Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4706090

User image

Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
rkreuser - 2013-04-18 3:56 PM

DanielG - 2013-04-18 3:47 PM
rkreuser - 2013-04-18 3:32 PM I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.
Okay, now I'm completely confused. Look at the top of my post, where there's a link to a hostednews/ap from google. If you click the link that's in my post you go directly to the source of my quote. I'm not sure how I can make that one more obvious, sorry.
DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:44 PM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote. The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan. The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46. The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.

That's my bad. I read past it. Carry on.

*Whew* Thanks. Thought I was losing it more than normal. I was looking for purely objective quote to use for that vote and everything!

2013-04-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4706094

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
DanielG - 2013-04-18 2:57 PM
jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 3:51 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 12:18 PM

I will just say I was happy with the outcome and glad to see our system work. Our government was set up so that the white house couldn't do anything or get everything that it wants. The system worked yesterday and for that I am glad.

Since we're all pretty sure what side everyone is on here, I'll say this....this is exactly how the system is BROKEN.  This wasn't a vote for/against background checks; it was partisian politics and re-election money coming from the lobbyists.  Pro-gun AND Anti-gun money.  Democrats and Republicans alike are guilty. 

Those who choose to wrap themselves in the constitution while proclaiming the founding fathers insisted their 2A rights are god-given should bow their heads in shame at the MANNER in which this decision was reached.  This was a glaring example of just how broken our Democracy really is.  This is NOT what the founding fathers intended.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed in the outcome.  If the decision went YOUR way; then congratulations to you.  But if you think for a minute this vote was not based soley upon the money and politics of re-election, then I have some land I'd like to sell you.

This is an argument I don't get. "Politics of reelection" If the person does what the voters want, the person gets reelected. If the person does not do what the voters want, the person doesn't get reelected. Isn't doing what the voters of that person's district want exactly what the person is elected to do? I've heard that argument and it still makes me do: I vote for someone based on how I believe that person will vote on issues important to me. I will vote for that person again if they prove me right and I will vote for the other person if they do not. Saying someone voted based on getting reelected and meaning it as a negative, I just don't understand.

Using Sympathetic dog pictures should be a violation of the rules because how do you argue with that face?

I agree with your point about voting in a way that gets you reelected.  But I still think the system is broken when people are voting on a bill before the bill is even written.  

2013-04-18 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4706093

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 1:57 PM
jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 1:51 PM

I will just say I was happy with the outcome and glad to see our system work. Our government was set up so that the white house couldn't do anything or get everything that it wants. The system worked yesterday and for that I am glad.

Since we're all pretty sure what side everyone is on here, I'll say this....this is exactly how the system is BROKEN.  This wasn't a vote for/against background checks; it was partisian politics and re-election money coming from the lobbyists.  Pro-gun AND Anti-gun money.  Democrats and Republicans alike are guilty. 

Those who choose to wrap themselves in the constitution while proclaiming the founding fathers insisted their 2A rights are god-given should bow their heads in shame at the MANNER in which this decision was reached.  This was a glaring example of just how broken our Democracy really is.  This is NOT what the founding fathers intended.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed in the outcome.  If the decision went YOUR way; then congratulations to you.  But if you think for a minute this vote was not based soley upon the money and politics of re-election, then I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Thanks for your effort to get the thread pulled. Consider the bait not taken. 

ETA: bolded sections that are in clear violation of "the rules". 

Has the mere mentioning that the 'bait' has not been taken.  Mean, in fact, that the bait has indeed, been taken.

2013-04-18 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:57 PM
jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 3:51 PM

This is an argument I don't get. "Politics of reelection" If the person does what the voters want, the person gets reelected. If the person does not do what the voters want, the person doesn't get reelected. Isn't doing what the voters of that person's district want exactly what the person is elected to do? I've heard that argument and it still makes me do: I vote for someone based on how I believe that person will vote on issues important to me. I will vote for that person again if they prove me right and I will vote for the other person if they do not. Saying someone voted based on getting reelected and meaning it as a negative, I just don't understand.

PUPPY FACE......ILLEGAL USE OF PUPPY FACE!!!!!

2013-04-18 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4706097

User image

I keep hearing that 90% of Americans are in favor of stricter background checks.

Where does that number come from. I'm suspicious of it. Kind of like when the President said 40% of all gun purchases are completed without one.

2013-04-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4706135

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
crusevegas - 2013-04-18 4:14 PM

I keep hearing that 90% of Americans are in favor of stricter background checks.

Where does that number come from. I'm suspicious of it. Kind of like when the President said 40% of all gun purchases are completed without one.

It comes from asking a group of people if they are in favor of background checks, keeping track of how many said "yes," then dividing that number by the total number of people they asked, multiplying by 100, and adding a percent sign to it.

But that's probably not what you meant.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 11-14, 2013. N=1,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows or online?"
3/13 & earlier: "Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows?"

Support Oppose Unsure    
    % % %    

4/11-14/13

86 13 1    

3/7-10/13

91 8 1    

1/10-13/13

88 11 1

Morning Joe/Marist Poll. March 25-27, 2013. N=1,219 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.8.

"Do you support or oppose legislation that would require background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows?"

Support Oppose Unsure    
    % % %    

ALL

87 12 1    

Gun owners

83 17 1 

Quinnipiac University. March 26-April 1, 2013. N=1,711 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.4.

"Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?"

Support Oppose Unsure    
    % % %    

3/26 - 4/1/13

91 8 1    

2/27 - 3/4/13

88 10 2    

1/30 - 2/4/13

92 7 1 

2013-04-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4706153

User image

Champion
SoCal
tealeaf - 2013-04-18 1:19 PM

It comes from asking a group of people if they are in favor of background checks, keeping track of how many said "yes," then dividing that number by the total number of people they asked, multiplying by 100, and adding a percent sign to it.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 11-14, 2013. N=1,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows or online?"
3/13 & earlier: "Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows?"

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

4/11-14/13

3/7-10/13

1/10-13/13

Morning Joe/Marist Poll. March 25-27, 2013. N=1,219 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.8.

"Do you support or oppose legislation that would require background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows?"

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

ALL

Gun owners

Quinnipiac University. March 26-April 1, 2013. N=1,711 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.4.

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

3/26 - 4/1/13

2/27 - 3/4/13

1/30 - 2/4/13

I think what people think of as a back ground check and what they propose is also very different.

2013-04-18 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4706034

User image

Elite
rkreuser - 2013-04-18 1:32 PM

I didn't miss that one, even a little. 

If that quote is attributable to the president, then attribute it to him. Without that context, it was read perfectly properly. I didn't have that context. 

And if it's sarcasm that was intended, use the sarc font. If not, attribute the quote to whom it is ascribed. 

Either you communicate clearly on the hot topics, or you don't. If you don't, it goes sideways. I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.

And I don't have a dog in the fight. So any thoughts of viewing this as 'one sided modding' should be put to bed. Any more mention of that is a non-starter. 

You know the thread is being modded closely. Toe the line. This will be my last post on this, in-line. 

Sorry, but you did. "Shameful" was exactly what the President called it and exactly why I used it. Mark Gifford parroted the word and said it was shameful and we should all be ashamed of our selves. The Brady group, and the legislators that sponsored the legislation all said the same thing... and news outlets are running endless loops of it ever 30 minutes.

We can be done. I'll drop it. But that is what I meant, and it seems several others knew exactly what I was talking about... the exact reaction by our elected officials being reported in the news because it did not go how they wanted.

2013-04-18 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4706090

User image

rkreuser - 2013-04-18 2:56 PM

rkreuser - 2013-04-18 3:32 PM I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.
Okay, now I'm completely confused. Look at the top of my post, where there's a link to a hostednews/ap from google. If you click the link that's in my post you go directly to the source of my quote. I'm not sure how I can make that one more obvious, sorry.
DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:44 PM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote. The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan. The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46. The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.

I think Powerman missed this post.  Just bumping it...

2013-04-18 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:57 PM. This is an argument I don't get. "Politics of reelection" If the person does what the voters want, the person gets reelected. If the person does not do what the voters want, the person doesn't get reelected. Isn't doing what the voters of that person's district want exactly what the person is elected to do?

Here's an idea...let's create fair and just geographic boundries on a map, we'll call them Districts.  Then invite all eligible individuals in said District, granting them all equal and unfettered access to the polls, to cast a single vote for an individual they wish to be their "Representative".  This person will have the sole function of 'representing' (i.e. voting) the wishes of the majority of the people in their district without prejudice or outside influence.   When that person's term is up, they will return to their home district and again solicit the support of the eligible voters.  Monetary donations to offset the cost of re-election will be minimal and closely regulated. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-04-18 4:00 PM
2013-04-18 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4706080

User image

Elite

So then Jeff, what was intended by our founding father's?

And I agree with the spirit of your post. That politics are extremely partisan, and that "The People" have lost their voice over the money that flows to Washington and the parties. And that yes there are a lot of bills passed on party lines and it is all one long election cycle.

But I do not understand how this vote was "broken". It was debated, it did not pass committee. Those that voted (R) did not want it to. A couple of (D)s agreed. There was questionable things in the bill, and it did not pass muster. There was a vote, the vote was recorded... just like every other piece of legislation.

What the Founding Fathers did intend was that fleeting whims and fads not become law... that you actually had to work at changing things. The House could move quicker, but the Senate was designed with feet of clay to keep stability in the system. You need a really good reason to change things in the Senate... they did not have one. It is how it is supposed to work.

in reply to: #4706228

User image

jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 3:58 PM

DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:57 PM. This is an argument I don't get. "Politics of reelection" If the person does what the voters want, the person gets reelected. If the person does not do what the voters want, the person doesn't get reelected. Isn't doing what the voters of that person's district want exactly what the person is elected to do?

Here's an idea...let's create fair and just geographic boundries on a map, we'll call them Districts.  Then invite all eligible individuals in said District, granting them all equal and unfettered access to the polls, to cast a single vote for an individual they wish to be their "Representative".  This person will have the sole function of 'representing' (i.e. voting) the wishes of the majority of the people in their district without prejudice or outside influence.   When that person's term is up, they will return to their home district and again solicit the support of the eligible voters.  Monetary donations to offset the cost of re-election will be minimal and closely regulated. 

How about if they just return to their district and go back to their day job and someone else goes to DC.  Or a 2:1 model where they get elected, they can run for reelection once and then they have to take a term off.  

Prevents the cronyism. But it'll never happen because those folks would have to vote it into effect.

in reply to: #4706228

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Sounds simple enough.  How do these representatives learn the wishes of the majority of the people in their district.  Polling by outside entities which may contain biases or prejudice?  Town hall meetings?

If a politician is worried that they will be voted out of office because of voting a certain way, then aren't they inherently trying to gauge the will of the majority of the people in their district?  

2013-04-18 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4706222

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2013-04-18 2:56 PM
rkreuser - 2013-04-18 2:56 PM

I think Powerman missed this post.  Just bumping it...

My bad if I did. I read that as him addressing Daniel's story. And no, there is no need for the sarc font.

2013-04-18 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4706247

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
GomesBolt - 2013-04-18 3:06 PM

How about if they just return to their district and go back to their day job and someone else goes to DC.  Or a 2:1 model where they get elected, they can run for reelection once and then they have to take a term off.  

Prevents the cronyism. But it'll never happen because those folks would have to vote it into effect.

EXACTLY!   (blushing) I think I we may....maybe.....agree!?....on something....a little.....Surprised

2013-04-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

I polled 10 people at the range this morning and only 1 was for increased background checks. He was looking for lead in the berm behind the targets.

It's all about how you phrase the question.

2013-04-18 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4706156

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Big Appa - 2013-04-18 3:21 PM
tealeaf - 2013-04-18 1:19 PM

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

4/11-14/13

3/7-10/13

1/10-13/13

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

ALL

Gun owners

SupportOpposeUnsure  
  %%%  

3/26 - 4/1/13

2/27 - 3/4/13

1/30 - 2/4/13

I think what people think of as a back ground check and what they propose is also very different.

I agree.  I think if they just put in background checks only into the legislation it would have likely passed.  However, it had a lot more which I would venture to guess has nowhere near the level of support and hence not making it out of the senate.

It's easy to say that politicians buckled to special interests, but I'd counter that they're buckling to what they think their constituents want them to do.  If 90% of the people are "for" this legislation then why did four democrats vote against it with three of them citing a tough re-election campaign in their home state.  If 90% of people supported it, then they would happily vote for it to help their re-election chances.

2013-04-18 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4706245

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
powerman - 2013-04-18 3:06 PM

And I agree with the spirit of your post. That politics are extremely partisan, and that "The People" have lost their voice over the money that flows to Washington and the parties. And that yes there are a lot of bills passed on party lines and it is all one long election cycle.

But I do not understand how this vote was "broken". It was debated, it did not pass committee. Those that voted (R) did not want it to. A couple of (D)s agreed. There was questionable things in the bill, and it did not pass muster. There was a vote, the vote was recorded... just like every other piece of legislation.

What the Founding Fathers did intend was that fleeting whims and fads not become law... that you actually had to work at changing things. The House could move quicker, but the Senate was designed with feet of clay to keep stability in the system. You need a really good reason to change things in the Senate... they did not have one. It is how it is supposed to work.

Those that voted (Rep and Dem alike) are suppossed to Represent the wishes of their constituents, not their $$$ donors.   It's not about Those...it's about US

2013-04-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4706312

User image

Elite
jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 3:41 PM

Those that voted (Rep and Dem alike) are suppossed to Represent the wishes of their constituents, not their $$$ donors.   It's not about Those...it's about US

So then it is not possible that the bill had some very questionable language, and that the entire bill was not worth progressing further. Again, just like Tony said... if 90% of everyone everywhere wanted it... then it is is a serious slam dunk for reelection, and flat out suicide to go against 90% of the electorate.

Edited by powerman 2013-04-18 5:13 PM
2013-04-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4706325

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
powerman - 2013-04-18 3:48 PM

So then it is not possible that the bill had some very questionable language, and that the entire bill was not worth progressing further. Again, just like Tony said... if 90% of everyone everywhere wanted the l was... then it is is a serious slam dunk for reelection, and flat out suicide to go against 90% of the electorate.

"Very Questionable language?"  56 Senators (Rs and Ds)  didn't think it was too 'questionable'.  You've made my case for me.  This was Partisian Politics driven by $$$ and fueled by the knowledge that voters have short memories.  Your side 'won' and to the victors go the spoils.  But I'll say again; For or Against the outcome, this was more just another example of a badly broken system than Democracy the way the constitution intended. IMO

My Gun Thread days are (sadly) drawing to a close.

2013-04-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4706325

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
powerman - 2013-04-18 5:48 PM 

So then it is not possible that the bill had some very questionable language, and that the entire bill was not worth progressing further. Again, just like Tony said... if 90% of everyone everywhere wanted it... then it is is a serious slam dunk for reelection, and flat out suicide to go against 90% of the electorate.

Not necessarily... it's possible that for many people, their vote doesn't come down to the rep's stance on gun control. However, it is very possible, a virtual certainty in many cases, that big money-donations from groups such as the NRA do come down to the rep's vote on gun control.

2013-04-18 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4706312

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The majority of Idahoans are not for more gun controls, both Idaho Senators voted against it. I don't see a problem here. 

ETA: Obviously in my opinion and in my experience of people I talk to and people I know in Idaho. But obviously we don't get a lot of polling calls around here.

I think the bill would have had a better chance without some wanting the federal data base to record all the checks run which is effectively registration. That is why Coburn pushed away from the table and why I am betting the bill eventually died. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-04-18 5:30 PM
2013-04-18 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4706350

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tealeaf - 2013-04-18 4:18 PM

Not necessarily... it's possible that for many people, their vote doesn't come down to the rep's stance on gun control. However, it is very possible, a virtual certainty in many cases, that big money-donations from groups such as the NRA do come down to the rep's vote on gun control.

Could be true, but the NRA get's their voice based on membership numbers as well as money. Perhaps some senators looked at NRA membership numbers in their states and decided to vote against further gun control. There is a reason the membership numbers for the NRA spiked after the last presidential election and after Sandy Hook. 

2013-04-18 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4706343

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 5:10 PM
powerman - 2013-04-18 3:48 PM

So then it is not possible that the bill had some very questionable language, and that the entire bill was not worth progressing further. Again, just like Tony said... if 90% of everyone everywhere wanted the l was... then it is is a serious slam dunk for reelection, and flat out suicide to go against 90% of the electorate.

"Very Questionable language?"  56 Senators (Rs and Ds)  didn't think it was too 'questionable'.  You've made my case for me.  This was Partisian Politics driven by $$$ and fueled by the knowledge that voters have short memories.  Your side 'won' and to the victors go the spoils.  But I'll say again; For or Against the outcome, this was more just another example of a badly broken system than Democracy the way the constitution intended. IMO

My Gun Thread days are (sadly) drawing to a close.

I would respectfully disagree to your statement of fact.

2013-04-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4706355

User image

Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 6:22 PM

tealeaf - 2013-04-18 4:18 PM

Could be true, but the NRA get's their voice based on membership numbers as well as money. Perhaps some senators looked at NRA membership numbers in their states and decided to vote against further gun control. There is a reason the membership numbers for the NRA spiked after the last presidential election and after Sandy Hook. 

Personally I'm glad the dues I pay the NRA are going to what I give the money to them to do.

Well, me and at least 4.5 million other people that give dues to the NRA just as anyone would any union they belonged to.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48