BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-03-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL

I hope that everyone is having a great week so far!

I was reading through Scott's last post and I began to wonder about running intervals.  I have never done that before - I usually go out and run my scheduled distance at my own pace and that's that.  The idea of intervals is starting to spark an interest though - could you all give me some insight to your opinions on it and maybe a few interval workouts that I could try? 

Training consistency has brought me down from a sub-11 min mile to a sub-10 min mile (most of the time)... I would love to get down to the sub-9 min mile range though (dream goal!).  I have been sticking to my 10/2 run/walk combo but I am able to run 30-40 min nonstop at a slower pace.  What are your thoughts?

2009-03-11 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2011717

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Ambular - 2009-03-11 1:21 PM

I hope that everyone is having a great week so far!

I was reading through Scott's last post and I began to wonder about running intervals.  I have never done that before - I usually go out and run my scheduled distance at my own pace and that's that.  The idea of intervals is starting to spark an interest though - could you all give me some insight to your opinions on it and maybe a few interval workouts that I could try? 

Training consistency has brought me down from a sub-11 min mile to a sub-10 min mile (most of the time)... I would love to get down to the sub-9 min mile range though (dream goal!).  I have been sticking to my 10/2 run/walk combo but I am able to run 30-40 min nonstop at a slower pace.  What are your thoughts?

Amber -- A sub 9 is VERY doable. I think doing one session per week or one every other week of intervals has made me faster. The off week is when I'd do hill repeats. When I started running a little over a year ago, running at 10:30 was a good run. Now I run regularly between 9 and 9:30 on maintenance runs and I can keep a pace around 8:40 for a 5K. Just to show an example of how they help. I've discovered that if my feet/legs turnover quicker I'll be faster and then add in some core work so you can stay strong. In addition to what I've found below that I cut and pasted from a couple of the BT plans, getting on the treadmill and running intervals seemed to help, too. Even just bumping up the treadmill speed for 15 to 20 seconds at a hard but comfortable pace, then slowing down some to recover and doing it again for 15 minutes or so is a great speed building workout.

These are descriptions from one of the plans:

Strides/Pickups - Short repeats at a 5K pace with recovery in-between. Each 'repeat/stride' should be about 20-30 seconds long and allow for a full recovery in between. Make sure you are properly warmed up-at least 10 minutes before the first. You are looking to get in about 45 left OR right foot strikes per 30". Multiply by 'two' for your RPM. So 45 left foot strikes per 30 seconds will equal 90 RPM, a running cadence that is the most efficient. You will typically be doing 4-10 repeats of 20-30" strides with a full recovery between sets (depending on the particular workout) by walking back to the starting point.

Over time with these workouts, you will see your cadence quicken, you will be lighter on your feet, and your run times will improve.

15' run with 4x30" strides. These are best if done on a slight downhill on a dirt path. Warm up for at least 10' before the first stride. For your recovery, you can walk back to the starting point. Strides are quick bursts that are as fast as 5k pace. You are looking to get in about 45 left foot strikes per 26-28".

I did these 'striders' before my 1/2 marathons and I really do believe they help.

2009-03-11 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

This is my thought penny regarding the BT plans (Morgan). I used the beginner sprint program last year combined with another I found online or in a book (I don't remember), but it did help me know how to balance my workouts over the week. So, for that, I think they're great for the beginner. I had the same issue even when starting because my volume was way above what it called for. I just found the week where I was most compatible and started there then added on at the end in the same manner. Basically you want to increase your volume by 10% for each of 3 weeks, then back off for one week (recovery week) then resume the 10% increase for 3 weeks and repeat. You'll see that echoed on most tri training programs. I'm learning that the recovery week is just as important as the harder weeks.

Later on I used the BT sprint to oly plan as a template and then added in some running plans because I was training for 1/2's as well. I highly recommend the FIRST method by Runner's World for running specific (plus it includes some cross training days). If you want to know more about that I'll be happy to elaborate.

As far as what Todd says about time vs. mileage, I'm not sure. It seems everyone has an opinion. My coach now has me doing time and of course as I get faster on the bike and run I'll have more miles in that same time period. She'll be including intervals on both the bike and the run.

In a workshop I went to by a bike coach intervals are a very good way to get faster and have more power, which is what Scott's coach recommends.

Don't know if that helps at all..?? Since you're a swimmer anyway, a good master's program will probably be enough a coule of times per week in addition to your OWS.

BTW-I ended up using a coach this year to help me get ready for the HIM in August because I wanted some guidance and wanted to train smart. I think I may have actually overtrained last year. Plus, she happened to get her coaching cert. at the right time for me and she's someone I know and trust, oh and yeah, she's an IM! 

2009-03-11 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2010335

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
IceManScott - 2009-03-11 5:48 AM

The generic plans teach concepts but we have to apply them to our own situation and fitness levels.

You said that much more succinctly than I managed to...thanks.

Amber: My two cents (and I feel comfortable saying it's shared by a lot of runners) is that you will make more progress--ultimately--by doing what you suggest: Start doing run-only sessions at a slower pace for a shorter duration. You'll see people suggesting "slow down to get fast" and this is one of those cases where I'd say it's probably valid advice. I'm a very big believer in transitioning from walk to run/walk to run...with the knowledge that you may lose some volume as you make those transitions.

When I started running again after over ten years on the couch (after first walking, then walk-run-walk, workouts to drop weight), I did do some time trials at first (mostly half miles), but no intervals. Mostly I just gradually built up distance at a relatively constant pace. In other words: Base building. My pace did improve without any speed training and I think you'll hear that same story from other folks.

Once I got back into racing, I did start adding some tempo and interval sessions. Very few true interval workouts, though...at most one a month. (Usually 4 or 6 half miles or occasionally 3 or 4 miles.) I do, however, do pretty regular tempo workouts...typically one a week (except when I'm recovering from a race or an injury...or both...like right now). Those will be (for me) something like 3-4 miles at 10K race pace (~7:00-7:15 for me) or 5-10 miles at half mary pace (~7:25-7:45). I'd recommend introducing those sorts of workouts into the mix ahead of intervals. IMO, the risk of injury is greater with intervals because of the potential for tightening up between runs and the tendency to have sudden acceleration applied to those same tight muscles.

Lynn: I guess I still don't understand the training by time concept, honestly. As far as I can see, it sets up slower runners to be undertrained for longer events (or faster runners to be overtrained, depending on the specifics of the program). A three hour run for me, for instance, will work out to about 21 (or more) miles...more than I'd ever run in training; for my wife (who's training for her first marathon), that would be less than 16 miles, which is--in my experience--not adequate preparation to run a marathon.

For general aerobic base building, it works fine (and is kind of where I started...running for a half-hour straight...that sort of thing), but I can't imagine setting an arbitrary time for a peak run for a marathon or other long distance event (like, say, three hours). Having run a marathon undertrained, I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I always advocate setting a goal distance for training (whether it's 18 or 20 or 20+ miles, depending on the system) and building to that, rather than to a time. And I definitely am training for my IM with that in mind, fwiw. Whatever works, works, of course, and I know a lot of very good athletes who train solely by time, but when you see people talk about their longest run in prep for a marathon or IM, they very rarely talk in terms of time, almost always distance, and I think that's an indication of an underlying reality in training for those sorts of events. (And I do think it applies to shorter events, but is just much less relevant.)

Good posts, guys!
2009-03-11 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hey Todd -- I absolutely agree about distance needed in training for a 1/2, a full mary or IM, etc. It will be interesting to see what this coach does with my training (and, if I continue to follow it) Maybe  the time training is for base building?? If I get an answer from her I'll share.

I must say I'm really missing my long runs right now. I was up to an easy 10 miles. I may have to re-evaluate.

I am also doing many temp runs and wouldn't jump into intervals unless your body is ready, right on, Todd. (as usual) No wonder you're a jeopardy champ!! 

2009-03-12 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Question;

In running language, tempo runs=intervals.  Yes?  We are running tempo runs at the club and it seems like that's what they are...a mile easy, then hard, then easy, then hard, then easy.  Seems like intervals. 

Fartleks seem to be shorter intervals.  

2009-03-12 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
There are, unfortunately, competing definitions out there, but the most common usage of "tempo run" refers to a sustained run at a high pace. Exactly how sustained and at how high a HR is where you find variations in the definition. Some people define "tempo" and "threshold" runs as different types of workouts, whereas for others they are the same thing. A true "tempo run" in what is (apparently) the original definition would be just under anaerobic threshold for at least 20 minutes.

Looking around the Web, I can only find one site that defines a "tempo run" as multiple short fast intervals mixed with recovery. To me (at least from my track and cross country days), those sort of fast-then-recover workouts are either intervals or fartlek: Intervals if you go hard for repeats of a set distance (or distances) and then have a recovery (walking, jogging or resting), usually with a specified time for the run or run + recovery...fartlek if you are mixing very fast pickups and easy jogs (or even walks) into a long continuous workout ("fartlek" = "speed play" and the notion is mixing different intensities into one nonstop session).

So, for me, "tempo run" is something like 4 miles at 10K race pace, "intervals" is something like 4x880 in 3:15 with :45 rest, and "fartlek" is...well...fartlek. I do like--for my own purposes--to think of a "threshold" run as something more intense than a regular "tempo" run: I.e., a run right at AT, which means you really can't sustain it for more than 20-30 minutes.

Definitely no standard definitions out there, though.
2009-03-12 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Thanks for all of the information and advice Lynn and Todd!

Based on what you all said, it sounds like tempo runs might be the way for me to go right now instead of intervals, at least this early in the game.  What are your thoughts on doing tempo runs once a week?  My typical run on a Tuesday is anywhere from 3 to 5 miles... I was thinking that I could alternate between .25 miles at a faster 5K pace and .25 miles at my slower 'regular' pace to start off with.  I want to run faster but I know that it is a gradual thing and the last thing that I want to do is risk injury in the process.

2009-03-12 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

On another note, my first triathlon is on Saturday... yay!  I am so excited and nervooouuus!!!  The weather is supposed to be pretty crummy - rainy with a high of 52... I think that I am going to wear tri shorts and a tri top for the swim (the swim is in an indoor pool) and then I'll probably throw on a long sleeve dri fit or a jacket for the bike and run.  I am planning on leaving for Wilmington tomorrow morning so that I can hang out in the area for the day and then I'll leave right after the race on Saturday.

My training has been less than great this week though because I was feeling pretty sick on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I feel a bit better today though so I am going to run with my running club tonight and get a quick swim in tomorrow morning. 

2009-03-12 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Good luck!  Have fun! 

2009-03-12 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Am I the only one that giggles at "fartlek"?  Probably a very old joke, but since first hearing the word in high school, I've yet to hear or say it without finding it funny.  Maybe it's a "guy thing".

GO AMBER!!!!!!!!!

Want my beginner advice for a first-time triathlon?  Well, I'll give it to you anyway ... have fun.  Seriously, don't be so amped up to go out there to tear it up and, in the process, forget that you can (and IMHO, should) have fun.  My first triathlon last October was a miserable exercise in anxiety and lack of experience.  I was so pumped up and so nervous that I hyperventilated on the swim and had serious thoughts of "screw this" before finishing the very short 400m segment. Lots of other factors, too, but the beginning was pure misery because all I could think about was bolting into the water and winning the race (which I didn't do, by the way!).

Got on the bike, and about 1/4 of the way into it, I was having a blast!  I was relaxed a bit, and I was encouraging on the riders that I passed, as well as those that were passing me.  Same on the run ... I was very slow and it felt terrible, but I was having a really good time cheering on the other racers.

I know a lot of people will argue that there is no room for fun in an endurance race and that you shouldn't approach it like that if you want to win.  Personally (and your mileage may vary), I think that's nonsense ... we, as amateurs, do triathlon because we want to, not because we have to.  Compete, push it as far and as hard as you can, but have fun!!!

2009-03-12 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Amen.  Fun is the only reason I do it - that and the fact I can eat more. Laughing
2009-03-12 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2013874

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-03-12 11:55 AM

Am I the only one that giggles at "fartlek"?  Probably a very old joke, but since first hearing the word in high school, I've yet to hear or say it without finding it funny.  Maybe it's a "guy thing".

GO AMBER!!!!!!!!!

Want my beginner advice for a first-time triathlon?  Well, I'll give it to you anyway ... have fun.  Seriously, don't be so amped up to go out there to tear it up and, in the process, forget that you can (and IMHO, should) have fun.  My first triathlon last October was a miserable exercise in anxiety and lack of experience.  I was so pumped up and so nervous that I hyperventilated on the swim and had serious thoughts of "screw this" before finishing the very short 400m segment. Lots of other factors, too, but the beginning was pure misery because all I could think about was bolting into the water and winning the race (which I didn't do, by the way!).

Got on the bike, and about 1/4 of the way into it, I was having a blast!  I was relaxed a bit, and I was encouraging on the riders that I passed, as well as those that were passing me.  Same on the run ... I was very slow and it felt terrible, but I was having a really good time cheering on the other racers.

I know a lot of people will argue that there is no room for fun in an endurance race and that you shouldn't approach it like that if you want to win.  Personally (and your mileage may vary), I think that's nonsense ... we, as amateurs, do triathlon because we want to, not because we have to.  Compete, push it as far and as hard as you can, but have fun!!!

Amen! Fun is always first priority for me -- then go, go, go. Of course, triathlon is a lot about pacing ourselves, too. At least for me it is. 

Have a great time, Amber!! Looking forward to the RR. 

2009-03-12 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Good luck Amber on Saturday! Have fun is great advice. On the swim the only thing to think is "relax".  Have a great time!

Jake

2009-03-13 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

OWS this morning ... BRRRRRR!  Water temp listed at 58 degrees, and I say there's no way it was that warm!  Feet are still number

Good luck this weekend, Amber!!

2009-03-13 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2013326

User image

Veteran

good luck amber and have a blast!  i'll be thinking of you while i'm snowshoeing Laughing

i'm sooooo ready for spring in new england.

2009-03-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2012122

User image

Veteran
lynn - easy 10 miles; i bow to you.  i have lost so much momentum in the past month that i have daily talks with myself about wtf i am doing thinking i can compete in a tri.  then i take a moment and realize that of course i can compete in a tri - but i'm probably not going to winWink
2009-03-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2015771

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-03-13 8:29 AM

OWS this morning ... BRRRRRR!  Water temp listed at 58 degrees, and I say there's no way it was that warm!  Feet are still number

Good luck this weekend, Amber!!

Good job getting out there this morning!! Maybe your hands are numb too?? :-)

Have a good weekend all!

2009-03-13 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Just saw the typo
2009-03-14 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2016275

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Question for trainer rides? Do any of you have any specific workouts or would recommend any DVD's?

So far I've done some one-legged drills and spin-ups, but figured there's got to be some other stuff I could do on the trainer days. Thanks.

Amber, let us know how you did!

2009-03-14 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I am getting outside now as much as possible.  Now and when I was indoors I was working with a power tap power meter.  I'm not sure the work outs can translate to HR, but pretty close. 

Three basic kinds;

- Longer aerobic at about 65 percent of my threshold power, increasing 3 percent every half hour for about 3 hours.  Mixed one legged drills in every hour, 3X 1 minute or 6X 30 secs each leg.   

- More intense higher percentage FTP rides.  Coach's commands read this way:

Tempo ride consisting of 2x20 minute intervals at 82% and 85% of FTP with 4x1 min pops at 120,125,130, and 135% included in intervals - evenly spaced within the 20 min. Tempo interval. GOAL: work hard and recover at a higher baseline.
Use extra time with single leg drills.   These are dreamy :/ 

- Pedal Drills - High Cadence.  As he puts it;
Three efforts of 15-20 minutes. Begin at 85 rpm and gradually increase cadence until the point that you begin bouncing on the saddle, back off slightly and maintain this cadence for the duration of the interval. Concentrate on using the pedaling skills developed during single-legged pedaling. Goal: to increase the range of effective cadences and pedaling economy.  More dreamy stuff. 

Gives an idea of the time frame and the exertion. 

2009-03-15 7:13 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!!!  My first tri was awwweeesssooommmeee to say the least!    My swim was terrible - I psyched myself out and I couldn't 'relax' in the water but I was fine once I got out of the water.  I felt great on the bike and that was by far the best that I have felt on a run.  I didn't walk at all during the run (I have never done that before!) and I honestly felt like I could have kept on going.  My splits are thrown off because I decided to go 'naked' - no watch or Garmin -  because I wanted to just go out there and enjoy the race without looking at my wrist every two seconds.  I'm glad I did that though, because I did indeed have fun.  The only downside is that something happened with the timing mats and both of the transitions are included in the bike time - they weren't able to separate them out.  But overall I am happy with the race (I need to learn to relax in the water though!) and I can't wait until April when I get to do it again!!!  My race report is up if you are interested in reading it 

Thank you again!  I can definitely say that I am hooked 

2009-03-15 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

YOU DID IT ... GREAT JOB!!!

And what I've found with the shorter (sprint) localized races, get used to not having the best splits available.  Last one I did didn't even have timing chips and you had to call out your number when you finished a leg.  Don't sweat it.

And I'm sorry to laugh at you here for psyching yourself out on the swim ... seems to be somewhat of an unavoidable occurance amongst us beginners   Crappy feeling, huh?  Well, it took me another two races to get over it, and there's not telling what will happen next time.  But now you know what it feels like and you can work on it for next time, because there WILL be a next time

Congrats Amber, I'm thrilled for you!!  Enjoy your Sunday, triathlete!!!!

2009-03-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2018879

User image

Master
Vista, CA

THanks for the trainer rides Scott.

Amber --- YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!! Congrats on your first. You'll always remember it, fondly. And, like Morgan said, we all have issues (maybe there's .5% who don't) in the water  GREAT JOB!! They are very addictive. What's up next?

2009-03-15 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Yay, Amber! Congrats on a really strong first tri! Looks like you're hooked now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45