BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Thanks for all the support. I guess this is why this is a "support" group. I'm really not down on myself and actually am looking forward to what I have coming up. I'm a person that can be a quiter and an excuse maker and I don't want to do that with triathlons. I actually want to rid myself of that trait. All I can do is work hard and train for what I have coming up in the furture. It has been great to have a sounding board for what I am experiencing in my training. Thanks.

2010-04-29 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2827258

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
phxphotog - 2010-04-29 6:04 PM

Thanks for all the support. I guess this is why this is a "support" group. I'm really not down on myself and actually am looking forward to what I have coming up. I'm a person that can be a quiter and an excuse maker and I don't want to do that with triathlons. I actually want to rid myself of that trait. All I can do is work hard and train for what I have coming up in the furture. It has been great to have a sounding board for what I am experiencing in my training. Thanks.

You and I need to talk.
2010-04-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2826356

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
phxphotog - 2010-04-29 1:32 PM So I have been disappointed in my run times for the last two tri's that I have done and I have spent some time trying to figure out what is going on.

1st...I went back and looked at my logs and noticed that I took 6 rest days off in Feb (not bad), 15 days off in Mar (was sick but that's 1/2 the month) and Apr (10 days so far...too many).

2nd...I really spent a lot of time on the swim in the 1st 3 months of training. I was struggling with the swim at 1st and after I got better I spent a bit more time working on being comfortable and a little OWS.

3rd...When I did run I did mainly 3-4 miles max and only half of that was running.

So after looking at all my training logs I have come to the conclusion that I have just not trained enough. I have not put in the amount of time or effort to get better, especially on the run. I also have spent some time hiking and walking on the treadmill that I could have spent biking or running. Over the next 3 weeks I'm going to really try to get my 5k run down to about 30 minutes. I know that is slow for some of you but that is the goal that I have set for myself. After I finish my sprint on May 16th, I'm going to go into 1/2 IM training for October.

In the 1st two triathlons, my goal was just to finish but now I want to start to whittle my time down on both sprint and oly distance races. I would like to be able to do the 1/2 IM, not just finish. I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop making excuses and get the job done through training. It starts tonight!

One thing I did when I first started was took 3days/week off,  as my body adapted I then started making it 2-3 days off/week, then 1-2/week.  Now I'm working on making that 0.5-1 day/week off (I'm still not there though).  It's great that you've identified places in your training to improve on, without that we don't improve as much as we otherwise could.  But at the same time it takes time to be able to workout 6-7days/week with the quality of workouts you want.  If you tried to do that when you first started you'd probably have lacked a lot of energy most days, burned yourself out, and/or risked injury from doing too much too soon.  So definitely make a plan to cut down on those days off like you want to, but don't feel you have to jump into it and start off with a full training schedule as of today, work towards that goal in a safe way.
2010-04-30 1:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Just wanted to pop on and say hi before I head down to Wildflower for the weekend! I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning with another teammate so that we can get a good camping spot with the rest of our tri club before the mass influx of people starts. Plan is to camp, cheer on the long course racers and stay out of the sun on Saturday and then race on Sunday! I promise to return with pictures and a race report. Hope everyone had a great weekend of training and racing!
2010-04-30 1:16 AM
in reply to: #2827620

User image

Expert
calimavs - 2010-04-30 12:02 AM Just wanted to pop on and say hi before I head down to Wildflower for the weekend! I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning with another teammate so that we can get a good camping spot with the rest of our tri club before the mass influx of people starts. Plan is to camp, cheer on the long course racers and stay out of the sun on Saturday and then race on Sunday! I promise to return with pictures and a race report. Hope everyone had a great weekend of training and racing!

Good luck and have a great time. Is this one a Oly for you or 1/2 IM?
2010-04-30 1:19 AM
in reply to: #2827263

User image

Expert
bryancd - 2010-04-29 6:08 PM
phxphotog - 2010-04-29 6:04 PM Thanks for all the support. I guess this is why this is a "support" group. I'm really not down on myself and actually am looking forward to what I have coming up. I'm a person that can be a quiter and an excuse maker and I don't want to do that with triathlons. I actually want to rid myself of that trait. All I can do is work hard and train for what I have coming up in the furture. It has been great to have a sounding board for what I am experiencing in my training. Thanks.
You and I need to talk.

This kind of scares me. Am I in trouble?

2010-04-30 1:21 AM
in reply to: #2826894

User image

Expert
Kath2163 - 2010-04-29 2:48 PM
phxphotog - 2010-04-29 1:32 PM So I have been disappointed in my run times for the last two tri's that I have done and I have spent some time trying to figure out what is going on.

1st...I went back and looked at my logs and noticed that I took 6 rest days off in Feb (not bad), 15 days off in Mar (was sick but that's 1/2 the month) and Apr (10 days so far...too many).

2nd...I really spent a lot of time on the swim in the 1st 3 months of training. I was struggling with the swim at 1st and after I got better I spent a bit more time working on being comfortable and a little OWS.

3rd...When I did run I did mainly 3-4 miles max and only half of that was running.

So after looking at all my training logs I have come to the conclusion that I have just not trained enough. I have not put in the amount of time or effort to get better, especially on the run. I also have spent some time hiking and walking on the treadmill that I could have spent biking or running. Over the next 3 weeks I'm going to really try to get my 5k run down to about 30 minutes. I know that is slow for some of you but that is the goal that I have set for myself. After I finish my sprint on May 16th, I'm going to go into 1/2 IM training for October.

In the 1st two triathlons, my goal was just to finish but now I want to start to whittle my time down on both sprint and oly distance races. I would like to be able to do the 1/2 IM, not just finish. I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop making excuses and get the job done through training. It starts tonight!

What is your plan for getting your 5k down to 30 minutes?  I would love to get my 5k down to 30 minutes sometime before I die

I'm guessing that running faster and walking less might work. I haven't tried that yet Smile
2010-04-30 6:12 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-30 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2827620

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
calimavs - 2010-04-30 12:02 AM Just wanted to pop on and say hi before I head down to Wildflower for the weekend! I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning with another teammate so that we can get a good camping spot with the rest of our tri club before the mass influx of people starts. Plan is to camp, cheer on the long course racers and stay out of the sun on Saturday and then race on Sunday! I promise to return with pictures and a race report. Hope everyone had a great weekend of training and racing!

Have a great time!  We look forward to hearing how the race went. Good luck!
2010-04-30 7:16 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Well April didn't have quite the volume I was hoping for, but not bad considering probably 35 or 40% was spent travelling.  Going to end it with a run this morning!  I love running out here, not sure why, but I do! 

I did get by the bike shop yesterday and reserved a nice Specialized road bike for the weekend, so I am looking forward to that!  I might go over to Irvine Sunday morning and run a HM!   

2010-04-30 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2827696

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-04-30 7:22 AM

Have a great time!  We look forward to hearing how the race went. Good luck!

X2!!!!

2010-04-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2827687

Expert
PennState - 2010-04-30 7:12 AM Last day of April folks. My training months ended with a nice run. If you get a chance try to leave an inspire on one of your fellow mentees racing this weekend. It means something to me when someone does it for me. Have a great day

Thanks guys. I woke up with a couple and it definetely put a big smile on my face. Thank you to everone that has been so supportive in this short amount of time and that has helped me prepare for this HIM tomorrow!
2010-04-30 9:27 AM

2010-04-30 9:34 AM

2010-04-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2828133

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-04-30 8:34 AM Imsg is tomorrow as well. Let's be sure to cheer on Chris from the online tracking.

I will be watching and tracking!
2010-04-30 8:22 PM

Master
Millersville, MD

Can someone help a lazy man and put up a list of people racing this weekend?  Bonus points if the list is hyper-linked to their blog!

Photog - I hope you don't mind me also making some insights into your training and reflections on that training here on the forum.  You mentioned that you can be an excuse maker/quitter.  Then you said you are going to really focus on the next 3 weeks getting your 5K time down.  Then you mentioned upping the intensity of your workouts to get there.

I think it took ballz to admit you've go the tendencies you do, and for that I commend you. 

But after that (in my humble opinion there are red flags flying up everywhere.  T???????To me it looks like you are overreacting to your tendencies and setting yourself up for disappointment or injury or both.  3 weeks is very little time to make a measurable improvement in your performance.  Especially if your race is at the end of th?at 3 weeks then really almost none of the training you do in the next 3 weeks will show up on race day... whatever happens 3 weeks from now is basically a reflection of the work you've done as of today.

I’d suggest you make your goal not focus on a race performance, but rather focus on a training reality.  You have virtually no control at this point over how your 5K goes in 3 weeks.  But you do have control over what you do in the next 3 weeks.  Maybe your goal will be to run 5x week.  You have complete control over that.

Also, in my humble opinion the way to get your 5k time down with minimal risk of injury is to increase your frequency (and thereby your volume) of running, not the intensity of the workouts you are doing.  Yes, there is a place for speedwork, particularly at a distance like 5k.  But based on what you are admitting, you don’t really have the running base to be concerned with that.  Yes, there is a possibility you could make short term gains (and quickly plateau) but the risk of injury while doing so with an insufficient base is MUCH greater than if you simply upped your volume via more consistency.

At approximately 15 miles per week average over the past month, there is LOTS of room to increase your volume gradually with minimal injury risk.  Here’s a hypothetical May.

3, 3, 4, 6 = 16

3, 4, 2, 3, 6 

3, 4, 3, 4, 6

3, 4, 3, 4, 2, 6 = 22

All I did to increase your mileage by 35% in one month was add a 2 mile run one week, increase 2 runs by 1 mile the next week, increase one more run by 1 mile the next week, and add another 2 mile run the week after that.  I know 6 times a week might seem like a lot, but honestly you can squeeze that little 2 mile run anywhere without it really taking anything out of you.  But guess what, you will have increased your volume by 10%... and a 10% increase in volume will pay off in increased fitness.

Follow a plan like that consistently for 3 months and I can virtually guarantee you a significantly improved 5K time with minimal risk of injury.  Follow a plan like that for 6 months (you could easily be running 40+ miles a week with that progression), and then think about adding harder runs/speedwork.  You’ll have a base that can handle it and then the short term gains will be icing on the cake.  Not my phrase, but it works… speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don’t have a cake yet.

Food for thought.  Hope you don’t mind… I wanna help you set yourself up for success… that way no excuses will need to be made  Laughing?

2010-04-30 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2829632

Expert
JoshKaptur - 2010-04-30 7:22 PM

Can someone help a lazy man and put up a list of people racing this weekend?  Bonus points if the list is hyper-linked to their blog!

Photog - I hope you don't mind me also making some insights into your training and reflections on that training here on the forum.  You mentioned that you can be an excuse maker/quitter.  Then you said you are going to really focus on the next 3 weeks getting your 5K time down.  Then you mentioned upping the intensity of your workouts to get there.

I think it took ballz to admit you've go the tendencies you do, and for that I commend you. 

But after that (in my humble opinion there are red flags flying up everywhere.  T???????To me it looks like you are overreacting to your tendencies and setting yourself up for disappointment or injury or both.  3 weeks is very little time to make a measurable improvement in your performance.  Especially if your race is at the end of th?at 3 weeks then really almost none of the training you do in the next 3 weeks will show up on race day... whatever happens 3 weeks from now is basically a reflection of the work you've done as of today.

I’d suggest you make your goal not focus on a race performance, but rather focus on a training reality.  You have virtually no control at this point over how your 5K goes in 3 weeks.  But you do have control over what you do in the next 3 weeks.  Maybe your goal will be to run 5x week.  You have complete control over that.

Also, in my humble opinion the way to get your 5k time down with minimal risk of injury is to increase your frequency (and thereby your volume) of running, not the intensity of the workouts you are doing.  Yes, there is a place for speedwork, particularly at a distance like 5k.  But based on what you are admitting, you don’t really have the running base to be concerned with that.  Yes, there is a possibility you could make short term gains (and quickly plateau) but the risk of injury while doing so with an insufficient base is MUCH greater than if you simply upped your volume via more consistency.

At approximately 15 miles per week average over the past month, there is LOTS of room to increase your volume gradually with minimal injury risk.  Here’s a hypothetical May.

3, 3, 4, 6 = 16

3, 4, 2, 3, 6 

3, 4, 3, 4, 6

3, 4, 3, 4, 2, 6 = 22

All I did to increase your mileage by 35% in one month was add a 2 mile run one week, increase 2 runs by 1 mile the next week, increase one more run by 1 mile the next week, and add another 2 mile run the week after that.  I know 6 times a week might seem like a lot, but honestly you can squeeze that little 2 mile run anywhere without it really taking anything out of you.  But guess what, you will have increased your volume by 10%... and a 10% increase in volume will pay off in increased fitness.

Follow a plan like that consistently for 3 months and I can virtually guarantee you a significantly improved 5K time with minimal risk of injury.  Follow a plan like that for 6 months (you could easily be running 40+ miles a week with that progression), and then think about adding harder runs/speedwork.  You’ll have a base that can handle it and then the short term gains will be icing on the cake.  Not my phrase, but it works… speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don’t have a cake yet.

Food for thought.  Hope you don’t mind… I wanna help you set yourself up for success… that way no excuses will need to be made  Laughing?

Thanks for the input. I know in 3 weeks that my increases will be minimal and what I hope to achieve and the reality of the situation are probably not the same. My plan is just to increase my frequency of running.

This week I want to get in at least 10 miles and then add a 5th day for the next week and then probably 3 days race week. I had been running maybe 1-2 days a week for the past month and that just isn't enough to get noticeable results. I have done a good job of keeping injuries from happening over te past 3 months. I really haven't been overdoing it.

I am getting the idea that it is going to take me a long time to get my physical fitness better and to decrease my time. I really do understand this but being a person who is not that patient, those tend to collide in my head. It is just frustrating that everything is going very well for starting out except my run. I'm just going to go run focused for the next few months.

Once I get through my next sprint, everything will be geared toward my 1/2 IM. Still need to find a good program for that.

2010-04-30 9:42 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
There's no doubt that smart training involves patience.  It also involves PERSPECTIVE.  In a year, you will most likely be MUCH faster through the patient/consistent approach than you will be if you hammer for the short term.  IMHO if it feels like you aren't training hard enough, that's the perfect amount with respect to running.  As long as the yellow on your graph keeps getting just a little bit bigger (I'm glad your plan is to do it through frequency not crazy long runs that comprise too much of your weekly mileage), you're working hard enough.

Lack of perspective has been one of the biggest hurdles to my training over the years.  I just took a look at the bio I posted near the beginning of this thread, and you could basically summarize my athletic carrer with that phrase.  I was motivated, but lacked perspective.
2010-04-30 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2829736

Expert
Thornton, CO
phxphotog - 2010-04-30 8:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I know in 3 weeks that my increases will be minimal and what I hope to achieve and the reality of the situation are probably not the same. My plan is just to increase my frequency of running.

Just like Josh said the gains you make in 3 weeks will be from the work you did this past week and part of this upcoming week.  As you get closer to your 5k, the work you are doing as you continue to train starts actually making your performance worse for that specific race because of fatigue, BUT you have to look at the long term.  It's not too early to focus yourself on that HIM, so you need to know that no matter how this 5k goes, that 5k and the training over the next 3 weeks is actually training for the HIM.  Consider picking out a 5k race 3 weeks before your HIM as one last 'speed workout' before you begin to taper, you'll definitely do much better then than you will in 3 weeks.  I'd personally forget about dropping my training back the week of the 5k and just train right through it.  Use the 5k as a higher intensity run for the week.  I'm betting you'll be much happier with having that HIM go better than expected than having this 5k go well an sacrificing a week+ of training that could focus towards that HIM.

phxphotog - 2010-04-30 8:34 PM
I am getting the idea that it is going to take me a long time to get my physical fitness better and to decrease my time. I really do understand this but being a person who is not that patient, those tend to collide in my head. It is just frustrating that everything is going very well for starting out except my run. I'm just going to go run focused for the next few months.

Once I get through my next sprint, everything will be geared toward my 1/2 IM. Still need to find a good program for that.

Yes, it takes time and consistency.  In 2003 it had been 4 years since I had trained for running and since I had run a running race, but I had stayed active playing rugby those 4 years, so not all was lost obviously.  I did a half mary in 2:04, I was pretty happy with that since I had never run more than an 8k before that and didn't train for it at all.
I didn't do ANY endurance sports for the next 6 years, smoked a pack a day, and went towards sports like rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing, and surfing... definitely not endurance sports.  When I finally got back to running in July '09, I couldn't run a mile without having to walk near the end.  I built up over the next 2 1/2 months and did a HIM (I had been swimming for 10 months and biking for 7 months by the time the race came around).  My half mary time during that HIM was 2:16 (my goal was to do a 2:04 split and match my 2003 time, but obviously wasn't near it).
I decided to focus on my running after that HIM in mid-September and started building my mileage up... no speed work, just got out there and ran and got consistent with it.  In mid-November  I did a half mary again to see what I could do, I ran a 1:43!!!!  I was soooo excited!  I continued to build my mileage all through the winter, putting up with 0 degrees and snow in the face more than just a handful of times.  I just wanted to stay consistent.  Then, I did my first marathon in early February on a really hilly course... goal was to "take it easy" and get 4hours, I got 4:02.  Then, on April 11th I did a half marathon again (My first two were both in New Jersey at sea-level, but this one was in Denver at ~5280ft, no altitude advantage this time).  I crushed my 1:43 by 7 minutes! with a 1:36!  

The point is... you WILL see gains, but you have to look towards the future races that are farther out than 3 weeks.  Get consistent, build the mileage and in 3 months you'll have be absolutely amazed at how far you will have come.  You don't need speedwork yet, you need to build your mileage and get a good foundation so you can do speedwork later and not have it effect your consistency with needing two days off after a hard workout.  I'm in between the 30-40mile/week range now (remember, less than a year ago I couldn't run a mile), I did my first mary, crushed my half mary PR each time I ran one, did a 50mile ultra without getting injured... without a single day of speedwork.  I still don't plan on doing speedwork until at least next year, I'm still building my mileage and making sure my foundation is solid.

Speedwork is like someone telling you they own their own company and only work 10hours/week and make $250k/year.... sure that might be what they do NOW, but I bet they had to work 60-80hr weeks for a few years to make that company that successful.  You need to put that time in to start with so that foundation is there later... whether that's with company or your fitness.

We are all 100% behind you.  We just don't want to see you hurt yourself.
2010-05-01 11:19 AM

Expert
Live coverage of IMSG here:

http://www.universalsports.com/video/live/newsid=470834.html

Chris is out of the water in 1:55:22. A lot of time to be in that cold water. A 2:55/100 yd pace and he was 1786 out of the water.

GO Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by phxphotog 2010-05-01 11:23 AM
2010-05-01 11:40 AM

2010-05-01 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2829736

Edited by PennState 2010-05-01 11:50 AM
2010-05-01 2:28 PM

Expert
Thanks for the advice. I also am looking to make this a long term lifestyle and don't want to burn out or get injured. Being a journalist I come from a competitive environment and even played competitive xbox for a few years. Yes, there is competitive xbox (Call of Duty series to be exact). I just always need an outlet for my a type personality and exercise was always that for many years until I got my 1st job in tv news. Now that my career is on auto pilot, I need to get back to the exercise thing and I enjoy tri's because they are a challenge.

I have not been disappointed in my swim or bike times so far. Been a little disappointed in transition and run times though and I will work on those over the next couple of months. As soon as Tempe Int'l is over in 2 weeks then I'll seriously start to look at 1/2 IM training programs. So far I don't have any close friends that have committed to doing the SOMA 1/2 IM in Oct but I keep working on them.

Going for a 20 mile bike ride and then finish up with a 5k run. My goal this month is 6 rest days.

Hope everyone is having a great training weekend.
2010-05-01 2:34 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Just got back from my morning run and breakfast with my Saturday running group.  Didn't think I'd have much left in me after this past week since I was at 40miles for the week already, but turned out I felt great after a mile.  Started off with an 8:35 for the first mile, but then started dropping it by 20seconds/mile after that as I started to feel better and better.  Caught back up to the fast guys and we continued to push the pace faster and faster trying to drop each other.  Didn't go into today expecting a speed workout, but considering I won't be running the next two days I figured I might as well go with them and see what I had.  The last mile of the 5miles ended up being a 6:59 and I still felt like I could have continued that pace for another couple miles.  The other guys even commented about how they couldn't even hear me breathing while they were huffing and puffing.  I can't believe how solid I felt!  It's nice when you have those days in training where you realize that the last few months of solid training are really paying off, it reinforces why you get yourself out there everyday.

I checked on Chris and the race clock is at 6:48, I'm guessing the 66mile point on the bike should be coming up soon for an update on him.  It's too bad there's not a way to have athlete's carrying a tracking device that also allows for audio recordings that get wirelessly uploaded to a web site automatically during the event.  It would be fun to know what he's thinking at different points.

We're cheering for you Chris!  Keep it up!

2010-05-01 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2830249

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-05-01 10:40 AM Yeah, Chris is out. I actually think he was hoping for a faster swim than that. I suspect the wind makes the swim there pretty difficult.

Go Chris Go!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121