BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

No LBS ride today so i went out on my own.  Totally new route, 31 miles.

The good - mostly rural so more cows and horses than cars.  It was crisp to start but not really cold.  The sun tried its best to break through the clouds but no go.  Still a nice opening to the day.

The bad - more hills than i would have liked.

The ugly - the last six miles was a steady incline into a 7 mph headwind.  It wasn't bad enough that I was tired but my feet were turning into frozen stumps.

As for the Superbowl eats.  I know the menu as well.  Too many good things.  Hot artichoke dip, kosher pigs in a blanket, cayane onion strings, homemade chicken tenders, shrimp fried rice plus the usual assortment of cut up fruit and veggies.  As far as alcohol we are not big drinkers so maybe a few bottles of champagne.  I won't pretend I will try to be good.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-02-03 1:48 PM

2013-02-03 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Nice ride this morning ... 1 hour 45 minutes/33 miles same old route ... lots of hills!

Superbowl? What is the Superbowl? All I am going to watch are the commercials if I watch it at all. The 49ers deserve this one ... any other outcome and I will be disappointed. Maybe I am even going for a slow nice/steady run later. 

No Superbowl party ... no good/bad/ugly food ... maybe a beer later but that is a BIG maybe. 

2013-02-03 2:33 PM

User image

Master

What is Superbowl? Laughing

I kid. I don't watch that kind of football, so won't be having any Superbowl snacks.

I should be back on track this week. Sprint Tri this weekend.

I'm doing a squat challenge for the month elsewhere. 100 per day for the month of February.  Oh, my QUADs.

Packing the bike today for a lunch time ride.

ETA: I'm going to start tracking my food today. I totally fell of the good eating wagon since the couple's weekend.

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-03 2:47 PM
2013-02-03 2:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
We are hosting as well so I know the menu. Chicken and pulled pork barbecue, macaroni, baked beans and cole slaw. Summer food menu in the middle of winter. I am not sure how we ended up hosting but we are. Kids are welcome and everyone has school tomorrow so I suspect that it will be pretty tame and over early. We do have one set of friends that never leave any party, even if their kids are begging to go to bed, so they may be here until the bitter end.....

I logged 13.7 miles running this morning. It was longer than I was planning to go but I got in on a group run and one of the guys is in his Marathon plan so I just ran with him to keep him company. It is so pleasant on the rare occasions that I run with others.

Monthly challenge. One, I have a long-running challenge to myself to run at least 100 miles every month. I have a four plus year streak of this that I must keep alive. But, 100 miles has become routine enough that it isn't much of a challenge any more. My coach writes my training plan so I am at his direction for mileage and time. An area that I always neglect is flexibility and stretching. It would be a true challenge for me to do 15 minutes of flexibility work (with some core strengthening built in) every day, AND LOG IT! so it is real. So that is my challenge to myself. Keep me honest, please.
2013-02-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4606607

User image

Master

wannabefaster - 2013-02-03 6:38 PM We are hosting as well so I know the menu. Chicken and pulled pork barbecue, macaroni, baked beans and cole slaw. Summer food menu in the middle of winter. I am not sure how we ended up hosting but we are. Kids are welcome and everyone has school tomorrow so I suspect that it will be pretty tame and over early. We do have one set of friends that never leave any party, even if their kids are begging to go to bed, so they may be here until the bitter end..... I logged 13.7 miles running this morning. It was longer than I was planning to go but I got in on a group run and one of the guys is in his Marathon plan so I just ran with him to keep him company. It is so pleasant on the rare occasions that I run with others. Monthly challenge. One, I have a long-running challenge to myself to run at least 100 miles every month. I have a four plus year streak of this that I must keep alive. But, 100 miles has become routine enough that it isn't much of a challenge any more. My coach writes my training plan so I am at his direction for mileage and time. An area that I always neglect is flexibility and stretching. It would be a true challenge for me to do 15 minutes of flexibility work (with some core strengthening built in) every day, AND LOG IT! so it is real. So that is my challenge to myself. Keep me honest, please.

Yum, pulled pork. I want to go to your house for Superbowl.

2013-02-03 5:01 PM

User image

New user
Veggie chili going in the crockpot, zucchini, corn, beans, jalapeƱo, red bell pepper, onions, tomatoes, carrots.
I had a great workout today, 9 miles on the bike, 1 mile walk and 500 yards in the pool.

I am going to set a goal of finishing 300 yards without a rest by the end of the month. I am going that distance now but I rest a few seconds after each 50. I am starting swim lessons this Tuesday so I expect that to help my efficiency.

2013-02-03 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

We were invited to a coworker's house for Superbowl, but they have a toddler and I didn't want to risk exposing her to flu no matter how good I felt so we stayed home. Unfortunately, no cable. Fortunately, we don't care much for football so we're watching some episodes of Haven on Amazon Prime

I submit to you our "Superbowl (Haven) Feast!"

• Potato Gnocchi with Tofurkey Sausage & Mushroom Sauce.
  • Non Alcoholic Warsteiner & Grape Gatorade 2
  • Homemade Hummus from the Vitamix.
  • Cucumbers and Green Peppers
Superbowl Dinner 1 Superbowl 2
2013-02-03 7:21 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-non alcoholic Warstiener...thats just wrong! What's the book on the table?

Mary-nice training. You'll go way beyond your goal.

My Feb. goal is going to be better snacks through more fruits and veggies as snacks instead of cookies, candy etc. Went to the store tonight and bought apples and baby carrots for the week. I want it to be reasonable, and achievable, so as my bad snacking time is after dinner in the evening I am restricting myself to healthy snacks 5 of 7 nights a week.....starting tomorrow. 

2013-02-03 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4606632

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Blanda - 2013-02-03 3:52 PM

wannabefaster - 2013-02-03 6:38 PM We are hosting as well so I know the menu. Chicken and pulled pork barbecue, macaroni, baked beans and cole slaw. Summer food menu in the middle of winter. I am not sure how we ended up hosting but we are. Kids are welcome and everyone has school tomorrow so I suspect that it will be pretty tame and over early. We do have one set of friends that never leave any party, even if their kids are begging to go to bed, so they may be here until the bitter end..... I logged 13.7 miles running this morning. It was longer than I was planning to go but I got in on a group run and one of the guys is in his Marathon plan so I just ran with him to keep him company. It is so pleasant on the rare occasions that I run with others. Monthly challenge. One, I have a long-running challenge to myself to run at least 100 miles every month. I have a four plus year streak of this that I must keep alive. But, 100 miles has become routine enough that it isn't much of a challenge any more. My coach writes my training plan so I am at his direction for mileage and time. An area that I always neglect is flexibility and stretching. It would be a true challenge for me to do 15 minutes of flexibility work (with some core strengthening built in) every day, AND LOG IT! so it is real. So that is my challenge to myself. Keep me honest, please.

Yum, pulled pork. I want to go to your house for Superbowl.

x2!

2013-02-03 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

All right, I'll submit my food: 

Dinner-spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread, and a Magic Hat #9 to wash it down

I ate a few TGIF cheese sticks afterward, then had a few Chips Ahoy for dessert.  

I liked the Beyonce halftime show a lot more than the game, I stopped watching when the power went out. Football just isn't my thing. Tomorrow's my rest day, so not a lot on tap. Then it's back in the pool Tuesday morning!

2013-02-03 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4606881

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
slornow - 2013-02-03 8:21 PM

Nate-non alcoholic Warstiener...thats just wrong! What's the book on the table?

The only time I'm allowing myself to break my no alcohol rule before Ironman this year is my birthday, and I already did that In the meantime, the best tasting non-alcoholic brew is Warsteiner's. I'm actually pretty impressed by how good it is!

The book is Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life by Brendan Brazier. I've been trying to get some guidance on nutrition lately and he's been very successful at it with Ultra Marathons and Iron Distance Triathlons. I haven't implemented anything in the book yet. A lot of what he suggests is expensive as heck!

2013-02-03 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I went ahead and did my scheduled hour long run today just because I felt so good. I could definitely tell I was getting over the flu though. My pace wasn't horrible for my Z2 HR, but it wasn't as good as previous weeks'. My stomach also was angry at me about halfway through.

I'm going to skip my swim tomorrow since that's more intense, but I'll do my Z1 Spin in the evening.

Hope everyone who celebrates it had a good Superbowl, I'm off to bed.

Goodnight all!!

2013-02-04 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

I have a few pages to catch up on here but I just wanted to check in with the group. My Doctor's appointment went well last week and I'll have to follow up with some bloodwork but can't get it until Friday. I got a referral to a nutritionist (only choice with my insurance right now) but the first appointment they had wasn't until the end of March. In the mean time I have a plan to get back on track this week and try to get my energy back.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!!

2013-02-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4607352

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole--sorry it is going to take so long but at least you have a plan now. I hope it does the trick for you.

I stretched and foam rolled for 20 minutes last night which I am sure I would not have done if not for the "challenge" of this group. So, thank you all for the motivation.
2013-02-04 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Nicole take it easy when you start back up.  Do try to do too much too soon like I did last year and compound the problem.

I did my run today.  Had to slow down just before the 2 mile mark with a side stitch but walked that out and still did OK.  Trying really hard to keep on track (no pun intended) with my run regimne.

Normally I would have done the NuStep or alternate exercise for my warmup but with my goal of 400 miles on the bike this month I did 20 minutes on the bike instead.  Not a lot of miles but every little bit helps. Up over 80 miles already.

I also threw in 30 minutes of upper body work.  I don't know if its real or psychological but I think it is helping me on my hill climbs.

Everybody have a great week!

2013-02-04 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Thanks. Finally caught up on the thread.

As far as goals go for this month mine is pretty vague-get back on track. I'm going week by week right now. I love the idea of setting them each month though and if things go well this month I can have a more specific goal next month.

2013-02-04 4:38 PM

User image

Master

Nicole: Good luck getting it all figured out!

Awesome training, guys.

I'm slowly getting back on track after a dismal week. Got in an 11 mile bike ride yesterday. Horrible because my tires were low on air and I couldn't figure out how to use my tire pump. Hills were painful! Looked like a drunken sailor the way I was wobbling around trying to get thru some of them. I never want to do hills with low tire pressure again. EVER.

Got up this morning before 5am and got my 5 mile run done, bike's packed for a lunch ride. Husband showed me how to work the pump, so no problem there. I also finally figured out where the gear changers are on my road bike. Had no clue! Youtubed some videos on gear changing basics and will practice that today.

I have a sprint tri this Sunday. 750m swim, 12 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Should be fun.

Have a great evening!

Oh, my kids and I volunteered at a water station for this past weekend's Xterra Trail Run. They were so awesome and had a ton of fun. Great team work! Their favorite part was walking around the trails and exploring before and after the run. They got free shirts:

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-04 4:43 PM
2013-02-04 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
January's totals:
Bike:10h 09m 44s  - 187.95 Mi
Run:9h 53m 45s  - 64.7 Mi
Swim:5h 33m 16s  - 9450 Yd
Strength:4h 03m

Finally got back from Ouray, CO where a group of us went ice climbing last week. I had a blast and completed some of the best routes I've ever tried. Not sure how that will affect my endurance training but I am definitely sore. My swim today was a struggle since my deltoids were toasted from days of swinging an ice tool. My bike ride to work today felt great, however. I posted my January totals above. Thanks for the challenges laid down. I always seem to perform better when I have specific goals. I'll be adding core work to my training, too. Keep up the good work guys! I included a few pictures of the stuff we did.
2013-02-04 6:08 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-great picture of the kids. Sounds like a fun day. Don't be intimidated by the road bike...it will be second nature in no time.

Dave-Wow! I can't imagine doing those climbs much less the soreness that results from that type of activity. Quite an accomplishment.

My schedule this week is a bit of a mess. I will be on the road out of town Wed and Thurs before returning home Friday afternoon. Hoping to hit the treadmill those days but just depends on what the day brings.

Today was a swim and then an easy spin this evening. Tomorrow is swim only. Looks like an easy week until the weekend. Keep up the good work everyone!

2013-02-04 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Dave I am jealous.  My son and I used to do a lot of free climbing but that looks like a blast!

After the hard weekend and my run this morning I was feeling a bit beat up so I decided to hit the pool for an easy recovery swim that would make me feel better, and it did.  I did 2200 yards 200 x 11 in just under 35 minutes.  But I had something interesting happen.  I have heard about it several times but new to me.

I guy gets in the lane next to me.  I would guess 10 years younger than I am.  He has fins on.  I was doing my own thing and not paying a whole lot of attention to him but I did notice that when we were at the same spot he would speed up.  Now I couldn't care less because I was swimming to relax, not race. 

So I am almost done and I am staring my last 200 and he pushes off with me and is clearly trying very hard to beat me.  That lasted about 40 yards until he ran out of gas.  I just kept on doing my 200. 

Does this happen to anyone very often?  Do you do it?

2013-02-04 7:29 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Cuties Blanda!

That looks awesome Dave - I definitely don't have the nerve for ice climbing!!

I went to the pool today continuing my sprint try training plan.  I'm beginning week 5 and I can't believe how fast time is flying!

DH's is getting his new ACL tomorrow so my week is a little up in the air but no reason why I can't sneak out a bit for bike, swim or elliptical!

As Dori says in Finding Nemo.....Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

2013-02-04 7:42 PM

User image

New user
Blanda your kids look really sweet, great smiles!

Dave, those pictures are amazing and you are way braver than I.

Stuart, that seems so silly that someone would be so focused on another person and their workout. Didn't go so well for him did it?
2013-02-04 8:18 PM

User image

Expert

Blanda:  Looking at your kids makes me feel very verklempt!!Wink

Dave:  That is truly amazing!  Is is scary or does the excitement of the climb take over?

Stuart:  I have to admit, there are times where I may be "that guy" at the pool.  I don't purposefully push off at the same time and make it blatantly obvious, but I do sometimes race others in the pool.  Sad thing is that I doubt the faster swimmer even knows it's happening.  But when I swim near someone with a pace similar to mine, the race is on and I will pursue or fight to stay ahead.  Sometimes I think of the movie Top Gun with the "Iceman", who will wear his opponent down.......Jim

2013-02-04 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Dave,those pictures are amazing. I'm jealous.

People at the pool are really weird. I've had people try to race me at the pool several times. A few weeks ago, I was doing band sets of 25's. This guy in next lane miraculously had the same workout and rest intervals..lol.. It is kind of sad if you have to race me at the pool. lol... my swim times are nothing to brag about-yet.

My favorite person at the pool is the old man that we call the floater or the dead toad man. He looks like one of those dead bullfrogs on the side of the road with the extended bellies. He floats on his back up and down the lane. Then he switches lanes and next thing you know the dead toad man is in your lane. Last time he got in my lane I "accidentally" hit him. He hasn't been back in my lane since then.

Our local pool is closed for a month. The other pool has 1 lane devoted to lap swimming. The pool is also 4 feet deep. It always amazes me the couples who will try to make out in the other part of the pool as if no one can see them. Ugh...
The new pool also has a winding lazy river. I got a really weird look from the lifeguard this weekend when I asked him if I could swim upstream in the lazy river. Hey, it would be like swimming against a current- right? The lifeguard said it would be okay if no one else was using the lazy river..

I've always had a secret desire to swim laps in the same lane as the water aerobics class. It would be great practice for OWS.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-04 8:25 PM
2013-02-04 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Blanda - your kids are adorable.

Dave - nice pics!  I used to do a lot of rock climbing, but never climbed on ice.  That stuff is cold!

Stuart - yes, people have done this to me, and I'm not at all fast.  It doesn't really bother me.  I give them the benefit of the doubt and tell myself that they are using me as a rabbit to improve the quality of their workout.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66