BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-02-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Morning Beer Drinkers!

I've been off a full week and I'm going stir crazy!! What I thought was a simple cold has developed into a respiratory infection with pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs)--ugh. Since it feels like I'm being stabbed in the chest every time I take a breath, I'm out for a while longer. Probably at least another week before I can think about any training, maybe two. Worst part, yes, worse than the stabbiness of breathing, is that there is no beer allowed.

David--good news about the first 1.5miles--no pain is always a good thing. Good luck at your job fair this weekend!!

Alex--I feel your pain! I've never had to aquajog, but I've heard good things about it from some friends who use it to minimize wear and tear from running.

Everyone else--hope training is going well!!

2014-02-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

Originally posted by Qua17

Sorry for the triple post.

I videotaped myself today in my brooks Adreline GTS (a stability shoe) and then went for a barefoot run. It's amazing how my gait "changed" while barefoot. The idea being that my "natural" (with brooks) gait is not natural at all. I land dead center mid foot, don't have pain in my lower leg etc. while barefoot. It was a much more pleasant experience.

I've been told for years to try something more minimal but stubborn old me was convinced I loved my "cushion" meanwhile this extra shoe has been modifying my gait from the start. It was an interesting and eye opening experience for me.

I suppose I'm just rambling and maybe someone here will find it interesting. Cheers,

David? How is correcting your running form going? Were you a Heel striker or was Cadence your main problem?

I don't know about anyone else but I find it interesting! I'm all about talking about form and stride rate these days... I was a heel striker with a cadence problem. Right now - I've sped up from the high 140's to the low 160's. So that is getting better. Soon - I'm really going to need to find a way to strike midfoot. I need to make the move soon. Once I start ramping up the distance, it will be too late.

I'm with you about cushioning... Would you consider running barefoot?

I figure barefoot running isn't realistic due to rocks sharp things and the fact that I don't live in a cave haha. I was amazed how differently my legs feel on impact when I went for a short barefoot run in a park today though.

I spent a great deal of time at the NEWTON running lab tonight though. I really enjoy their premise and business plan. Take away the marketing gimmicks of the cushion and reduce drop from heel to toe. This high drop is generally what causes people to "subconsciously change their gait" and heel strike. Upon putting on my new gravity shoes I instantly felt different just standing because your heel is not up and angled.

NEWTON shoes promote forefoot strike but not because this shoe is designed different or has something others don't, in fact it is so much LESS shoe than we are used to. I noticed my NATURAL mid/forefoot strike returned without my huge clunkers. We naturally land and strike mid/forefoot when running barefoot, NEWTON seems to provide just enough shoe to be safe and comfortable without chaning our natural tendencies...even though "natural" for us has changed over the years of running in progressively more and more shoes (atleast for my 8 years of experience)

Not to be too salesman like but I'm really excited about these shoes. Mainly because I'm form obsessed and have noticed how I feel victim to my clunkers. HOKAS felt nice and cushiony but I noticed the extra cushion was treating the SYMPTOM of heel striking (muscle/shin pain-it's why thy feel like running on clouds...you ARE!) But your form still sucks and the clouds mask it. The newtons go straight to the cause by treating and promoting FORM instead of the byproduct of poor form.

David, that's great your Cadence is up. Generally the higher it gets the shorter your stride. The shorter the stride the more "under" your body you land. And when you are landing under your knee it becomes much much harder to heel strike. Hopefully you can keep the number rising. I know In all my years focusing on Cadence really helped me and a lot of the rest followed suit.

Ok off my shoe soapbox now

Brian - My journey towards finishing an IM has forced me to think in new ways. In order to make it happen - I will have to. Since high school - I addressed the problem (pain) and not the cause (horrific form and the slowest stride rate on the planet). Reflecting - it seems stupid that I just kept stretching more (there were times last year when I was stretching for more than 5 hours per week). Now I am forced to think and try new things. Right now - I'm focusing on stride rate and form. To really make that change happen - I very well may end up moving towards shoes more like the newton's than the "clouds" I'm using right now.
2014-02-12 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Hit the gym for PT and a swim this morning. I really worked on my exercises and managed to spend 15 minutes more than my usual 20 minutes. With my hip and knee feeling better - I am determined to do everything in my power to make painfree running happen. Alex - you and I should be competing for how much PT per week we right. Right now - I'm doing more PT than swimming and running combined.

The swim was decent. It was a speed workout and I managed to swim more quickly (1:50 per 100) than I have recently (2:10 per 100). It's good to see that the speed is still there.

Heading to the LBS and will probably end up buying new speed play pedels - they will give me more than an inch on each side and will hopefully help the pain caused by my tight ITB's (god, I hate mine with a passion). My in-laws gave me a gift certificate for aero bars so I'm hoping I can afford them. Please keep your fingers crossed!

Have a great hump day everyone!
2014-02-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Morning Beer Drinkers!

I've been off a full week and I'm going stir crazy!! What I thought was a simple cold has developed into a respiratory infection with pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs)--ugh. Since it feels like I'm being stabbed in the chest every time I take a breath, I'm out for a while longer. Probably at least another week before I can think about any training, maybe two. Worst part, yes, worse than the stabbiness of breathing, is that there is no beer allowed.

David--good news about the first 1.5miles--no pain is always a good thing. Good luck at your job fair this weekend!!

Alex--I feel your pain! I've never had to aquajog, but I've heard good things about it from some friends who use it to minimize wear and tear from running.

Everyone else--hope training is going well!!

No beer allowed... Wow - then I wish you a speedy recovery. Seriously, I'm sorry you are having to go through this but I hope you heal quickly so you can get back to your training. You were kicking a$$ and it will only be a matter of time before you are again!
2014-02-12 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey, BeerDrinkers

I'm on a new work schedule Fri-Sat-Sun, 7P-7A so I won't 'blog' as much as I used too.  I've worked this schedule years ago, and it's not too bad for training, but getting enough QUALITY sleep can be tough.

Swam 1200 Sunday, Did nothing on Monday, Rode rollers for 50 min at 75% FTP yesterday, swam 1100 this AM.

Ref: Minimalist running.  BEWARE! I was a big supporter, still am 'sorta'; I read Born to Run and EVERYTHING.  But it's not just foot striking that is effected my minimal shoes.  I discovered I had a slight over-pronation problem.  When I gave up the offset in my shoes, i also gave up the stability.  Long story short my calves were/are a mess and my hips developed an imbalance.   I'm sure some will say I could have 'broken' my running in slower...perhaps...but once I went back to a shoe with some slight stability built in, I got better.

QUESTION:  Is anyone using/have used TrainerRoad?  I signed up and did my first 'ride'-so far I like it alot. Customer Support has been First Rate.  I'm hoping it becomes an important part of my cycling training.  

2014-02-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Minimal / zero-drop running does take some getting used to. If you have been running in high drop shoes your tendons are shortened and need to stretch out compared to zero-drop.

Today I went for a swim, planned around 1500-1700m but only made it 500m. My arms just felt like jello, still do! Guess my body was telling me to take it easy today.

2014-02-12 5:14 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
6/28 with 55 min trainer workout. trying to stay consistent this week. pool scheduled for tomorrow and Friday.
2014-02-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Minimal / zero-drop running does take some getting used to. If you have been running in high drop shoes your tendons are shortened and need to stretch out compared to zero-drop.

Today I went for a swim, planned around 1500-1700m but only made it 500m. My arms just felt like jello, still do! Guess my body was telling me to take it easy today.

Good thing you listened! A rest day will do you good. You've earned it!
2014-02-12 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
My trip to the LBS was awesome. We spent the first 45 minutes trying on different speedplay pedels and the difference was amazing. The first set they tried felt better - but after 5 minutes the familiar ache was back. They tried on the next size up - I think it was an inch and a quarter. That felt better but my hip still hurt after 15 minutes. So he tried on the longest speedplay pedals and they just felt great. The hip was still sore but the motion felt so much better. It's my hope that after riding for a few weeks - the ache will just go away.

I also invested in some assos bike pants. Holy crap what a difference. I almost puked when he handed them to me (he actually handed me 3 different pairs with three price points) but the first didn't fit well. But when I put on the Assos - I could hardly feel my sit bones when I sat on the seat. So I ended up dropping 200 bucks for a pair of bike shorts. I almost balked at buying them and then remembered how I felt after being on the bike for 3 hours and figured it would be worth the money. We shall see.

Night all!
2014-02-13 5:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gretchen- hope you feel better. Rest long enough to get over it so it doesn’t hang on.

Jeff- I use one of those mask to block the light when I'm on nights. It took some time to get use to it, but I sleep WAY better. Just make sure it has something that blocks the light coming from space under the mask near the cheek bones.

I got in a good swim yesterday, then spent the day pushing cars in the snow. Will be doing the same today thanks to snowrmageddon part 2. Will try to get to the gym for a back workout if there is time. It looks like a scene from the walking dead with all the abandoned cars everywhere.

Hoping the pools are open tomorrow so I can get my last swim for the week in. I am going every other day till my leg heals. I also ordered an aqua jogging belt. Now I just have to find a pool that has deep enough water for me since I am 6'5'

Beer- when I got home last night I had a Knob Creek and ginger ale then passed out on my couch with the fire going.

Edited by b2b14 2014-02-13 6:00 AM
2014-02-13 6:47 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Sorry for so few updates. You can put me on the list of the sickness... been feeling terrible for the past week and a half. I've gotten in a couple swims and short trainer rides. I'll try to update my logs soon.

Been holding off on the beer since I've been sick. With the weather and the way I feel, I have been sipping some hot toddys every morning before bed. Been using E. H. Taylor single barrel bourbon. Tasty stuff.

Hoping to feel better soon so I can get back to training!

2014-02-13 6:55 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

My trip to the LBS was awesome. We spent the first 45 minutes trying on different speedplay pedels and the difference was amazing. The first set they tried felt better - but after 5 minutes the familiar ache was back. They tried on the next size up - I think it was an inch and a quarter. That felt better but my hip still hurt after 15 minutes. So he tried on the longest speedplay pedals and they just felt great. The hip was still sore but the motion felt so much better. It's my hope that after riding for a few weeks - the ache will just go away.

I also invested in some assos bike pants. Holy crap what a difference. I almost puked when he handed them to me (he actually handed me 3 different pairs with three price points) but the first didn't fit well. But when I put on the Assos - I could hardly feel my sit bones when I sat on the seat. So I ended up dropping 200 bucks for a pair of bike shorts. I almost balked at buying them and then remembered how I felt after being on the bike for 3 hours and figured it would be worth the money. We shall see.

Night all!

I've been looking at going the speedplay route as I don't have enough float with my shimano cleats. If I adjust my cleats at an angle to keep my toes from pushing on the side of my shoes, my heels hit the chain stays... it's pretty uncomfortable. I saw you mentioned "the longest speedplays," I haven't seen anything about different lengths in my research online, can you elaborate on that a little?

Also, have you ever ridden Desoto 400 mile bibs? I'm wondering how they compare comfort wise to the Assos. I understand it will be different for everyone, but quality of chamois and material structure/feel should be standard for everyone.
2014-02-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

this is an actual picture of the roads

(1653649_10202177063966287_1023088980_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1653649_10202177063966287_1023088980_n.jpg (103KB - 5 downloads)
2014-02-13 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Bradleykd

I've been looking at going the speedplay route as I don't have enough float with my shimano cleats. If I adjust my cleats at an angle to keep my toes from pushing on the side of my shoes, my heels hit the chain stays... it's pretty uncomfortable. I saw you mentioned "the longest speedplays," I haven't seen anything about different lengths in my research online, can you elaborate on that a little?

There are different length spindles available for Speedplay Stainless. Your LBS should have them around. A proper bike fit will probably also include a vertical laser line measurement to track knee movement through the stroke.

If you're angling your cleats, I would imagine that either your shoes are the wrong size or there are other issues in your fitment. Angling the cleats is going to kick out the ankles and knees, probably in a bad way.

Personally, I love my Desoto bibs and shorts. If your voice doesn't go up half an octave, they are probably too big, but they really are twice as good as my Pearl Izumi bibs. I haven't tried the Assos yet.

2014-02-13 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I've been told for years to try something more minimal but stubborn old me was convinced I loved my "cushion" meanwhile this extra shoe has been modifying my gait from the start. It was an interesting and eye opening experience for me.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it interesting! I'm all about talking about form and stride rate these days... I was a heel striker with a cadence problem. Right now - I've sped up from the high 140's to the low 160's. So that is getting better. Soon - I'm really going to need to find a way to strike midfoot.

I figure barefoot running isn't realistic due to rocks sharp things and the fact that I don't live in a cave haha. I was amazed how differently my legs feel on impact when I went for a short barefoot run in a park today though.

I spent a great deal of time at the NEWTON running lab tonight though. I really enjoy their premise and business plan. Take away the marketing gimmicks of the cushion and reduce drop from heel to toe. This high drop is generally what causes people to "subconsciously change their gait" and heel strike. Upon putting on my new gravity shoes I instantly felt different just standing because your heel is not up and angled.

NEWTON shoes promote forefoot strike but not because this shoe is designed different or has something others don't, in fact it is so much LESS shoe than we are used to. I noticed my NATURAL mid/forefoot strike returned without my huge clunkers. We naturally land and strike mid/forefoot when running barefoot, NEWTON seems to provide just enough shoe to be safe and comfortable without chaning our natural tendencies...even though "natural" for us has changed over the years of running in progressively more and more shoes (atleast for my 8 years of experience)

Not to be too salesman like but I'm really excited about these shoes. Mainly because I'm form obsessed and have noticed how I feel victim to my clunkers. HOKAS felt nice and cushiony but I noticed the extra cushion was treating the SYMPTOM of heel striking (muscle/shin pain-it's why thy feel like running on clouds...you ARE!) But your form still sucks and the clouds mask it. The newtons go straight to the cause by treating and promoting FORM instead of the byproduct of poor form.

David, that's great your Cadence is up. Generally the higher it gets the shorter your stride. The shorter the stride the more "under" your body you land. And when you are landing under your knee it becomes much much harder to heel strike. Hopefully you can keep the number rising. I know In all my years focusing on Cadence really helped me and a lot of the rest followed suit.

Brian - My journey towards finishing an IM has forced me to think in new ways. In order to make it happen - I will have to. Since high school - I addressed the problem (pain) and not the cause (horrific form and the slowest stride rate on the planet). Reflecting - it seems stupid that I just kept stretching more (there were times last year when I was stretching for more than 5 hours per week). Now I am forced to think and try new things. Right now - I'm focusing on stride rate and form. To really make that change happen - I very well may end up moving towards shoes more like the newton's than the "clouds" I'm using right now.

Shoe discussions are always fascinating to me. I run in just about everything.

I'm a huge fan of Hokas. They revolutionized my long runs. I like my minimalist Kinvaras too, and my day-to-day shoe is a Triumph.

There seems to be a disconnect, or a logical misstep, between equating Hokas with poor running form, and minimalist shoes with good running form. I think a truism that minimalist shoes are harsh mistresses, and don't let folks get away with poor form, and that they encourage proper running. I don't think Hokas or other cushion shoes encourage poor form, but rather they simply let you get away with it.

For the average age-grouper, non-runner triathlete [I'm equally mediocre at all three sports, and don't have a running background, or swimming, or cycling . . .], I think that if you haven't tried Hokas for your long runs, you at least should give them a shot. Comparing my 15 mile run in my normal midweight trainers and my 20 milers in Hokas, the 15 miler tore me up something fierce, and the 20 left me smiling and confident.

A bad analogy is probably a pull buoy - it's a tool, like anything else, that lets you work on specific things.

I'm not certain where I am going with it, but my point is that good form, regardless of shoe, is important. Pick the right tool for the situation.
2014-02-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I don't know about anyone else but I find it interesting! I'm all about talking about form and stride rate these days... I was a heel striker with a cadence problem. Right now - I've sped up from the high 140's to the low 160's. So that is getting better. Soon - I'm really going to need to find a way to strike midfoot.

I'm not certain where I am going with it, but my point is that good form, regardless of shoe, is important. Pick the right tool for the situation.

Charles- This made me chuckle. I'll never forget running the local 25/50K local trail run. I was doing the 25K and running decent. About mile 12 of a 16 mile run, I pass this gentleman in five finger minimalist shoes looking as though he were barefoot walking on sharp boulders. This particular run is along a riverbank with many sections travelling over long stretches of river rock. As I'm passing this gentleman, I couldn't help but feel bad. He looked as though he was pretty bad off, but also couldn't help but think how crazy that is to attempt this race in the five finger minimalist shoes. That is a good point. Pick the right tool for the occasion.

I've ran all my runs in Ascics and Brooks. I find they've been almost Identical in feel, but I haven't been able to run since last October with possible micro tears in my calves and I had switched to brooks last year, so.... maybe I'll switch back to Ascics when I get back at it.

2014-02-13 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by b2b14

WHOA! That looks bad.
2014-02-13 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Wow! It's on days like today when I'm glad my wife and I are both teachers. We don't even think about driving. Stay safe!
2014-02-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert

I'm a huge fan of Hokas. They revolutionized my long runs. I like my minimalist Kinvaras too, and my day-to-day shoe is a Triumph.

There seems to be a disconnect, or a logical misstep, between equating Hokas with poor running form, and minimalist shoes with good running form. I think a truism that minimalist shoes are harsh mistresses, and don't let folks get away with poor form, and that they encourage proper running. I don't think Hokas or other cushion shoes encourage poor form, but rather they simply let you get away with it.

For the average age-grouper, non-runner triathlete [I'm equally mediocre at all three sports, and don't have a running background, or swimming, or cycling . . .], I think that if you haven't tried Hokas for your long runs, you at least should give them a shot. Comparing my 15 mile run in my normal midweight trainers and my 20 milers in Hokas, the 15 miler tore me up something fierce, and the 20 left me smiling and confident.

A bad analogy is probably a pull buoy - it's a tool, like anything else, that lets you work on specific things.

Love this conversation about shoes... Based upon Charles last post - here's my thought followed by a question -

I wear Asiacs/and Brooks because they fit my feet (I have a wide foot) and because they provide a ton of cushioning, which has helped me to avoid injury - while at the same time inviting injury due to bad form. So my question is this - if I change my form and get better about not heel striking as much- but I stick with my comfy Asiacs - will I be at an advantage because of all the cushioning. I guess what I'm asking is this - is that a double bonus - better form and comfy shoes?
2014-02-13 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
I am *%#!ing stoked! Today, I went out for a run in the snow, which is something that I absolutely love to do. It was fantastic. On most road, there was maybe an inch of snow on the road so I had to take it nice and slow. Yet there were others that hadn't been plowed recently and I had an absolute blast running through 3 inches of fine powder. I had run about three and I decided to ignore the fact that it was a rest week and go for 6 miles, which has been my goal since October. By the time I ran down the path to our house - I had clocked 6.75. And my hip and leg feel decent. Maybe this is the corner I've been waiting to turn all these months. God, I hope so.

I'm celebrating with Westside Rye Ale by Boulevard Brewing Co. One of my favorite breweries but this beer isn't great.
2014-02-13 5:35 PM

User image

I am *%#!ing stoked! Today, I went out for a run in the snow, which is something that I absolutely love to do. It was fantastic. On most road, there was maybe an inch of snow on the road so I had to take it nice and slow. Yet there were others that hadn't been plowed recently and I had an absolute blast running through 3 inches of fine powder. I had run about three and I decided to ignore the fact that it was a rest week and go for 6 miles, which has been my goal since October. By the time I ran down the path to our house - I had clocked 6.75. And my hip and leg feel decent. Maybe this is the corner I've been waiting to turn all these months. God, I hope so.

I'm celebrating with Westside Rye Ale by Boulevard Brewing Co. One of my favorite breweries but this beer isn't great.

Congrats on the run.

2014-02-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado

There seems to be a disconnect, or a logical misstep, between equating Hokas with poor running form, and minimalist shoes with good running form. I think a truism that minimalist shoes are harsh mistresses, and don't let folks get away with poor form, and that they encourage proper running. ******************I don't think Hokas or other cushion shoes encourage poor form, but rather they simply let you get away with it.**************

I would agree these super cushy shoes allow us to get away with poor form but do not necessarily encourage it. I'n Danny Abshire's "Natural Running" he mentions that the thick heavy shoes tend to encourage heel striking as even if you attempt to mid foot strike.
1. The stability shoes elevate the heel giving your FOOT a forward lean when the SHOE is flat.
2. Now make your FOOT flat, your heel will be at a lower elevation than your mid foot and toes
So by attempting to heel mid foot in large stability shoes your heel hits the ground first "encouraging" a heel strike.

But...everyone and every form is different, some people, many people, can avoid a heel strike in a stability, others just can't. And for some it injures us, for others it doesn't. That's what makes the whole thing confusing. What is a "breakthrough" for one person could lead to a slight or serious injury in another.

David, my concern over my years of running is that stability shoes tend to weaken and "deactivate" all the small stabilizing muscles in my legs/feet when running, good form or bad, heel or mid foot strike. They tend to force the big muscles to work harder because the SHOE not MY BODY is doing the stabilizing. The recent years running stores mAinly look for PRONATION not FORM, and pronation is not always a bad thing or something that needs correction. Too much shoe can be a gad thing (for some people).

• ..then again I'm a free weight instead of machine guy when lifting for this same stabilizing muscle reason...and many people have great success doing presses with their cables.

• Not sure where I'm going or what my point is either haha. I just love running.

Edited by Brian W 2014-02-13 6:35 PM
    2014-02-13 6:37 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
    Making bike adjustments! I have a FAST FORWARD seatpost on order at the LBS where they cut me a deal. I switched my stem and adjusted my bar angles today.

I suppose I'll change it all over again on Monday with the new post. Now to play with cleat position.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    image.jpg (1526KB - 5 downloads)
    2014-02-13 8:56 PM
    in reply to: Brian W

User image

Regular
    Georgetown, KY
    you may want to work on bike position before cleat position... that thing is sitting on the ceiling with no hooks to hold it there... seems dangerous.
    2014-02-13 9:43 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
    Originally posted by Bradleykd

you may want to work on bike position before cleat position... that thing is sitting on the ceiling with no hooks to hold it there... seems dangerous.

Yeah that's solid advice. I just know that whatever I have now is not my "ideal setup" so I'm just tweaking it seeing how things feel etc. I have a lot of free time now that I'm done moving and I love tinkering. I read somewhere about loosening the cleats and spinning for 5-10 minutes and your feet will slide around in the pedals putting the cleats in your "natural" position. I suppose natural may not be best however; it's a fun little experience none the less.

Bike is all together again and awaiting the seat post switch Monday!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
    author : ahilden
    comments : 1
    Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
    date : April 2, 2006
    author : AMSSM
    The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
    I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
    date : April 17, 2005
    author : sekhmet
    We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
    author : Team BT
    The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
    date : February 13, 2005
    comments : 2
    So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
    New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.