BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-07-13 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Well I got a 2100 yd. swim in tonight.  I reverted back to my nose clips because the indoor pool's heater is still busted at the Y and I had a hard enough time with the cold water and going clipless was just too much tonight. Oh well.  I was pleased with my lap times.  After 42 laps I had a 2:23/100 yd pace which is just fine for me.

Trying to decide what to do tomorrow.  I'm thinking a 3:30am bike ride for 1:15 and then a 40 minute 1650yd swim.  That will leave me with just a 7.5 mile run to do on Friday morning(when did that become light?) before my long workouts over the weekend.

If all goes as planned, this should end up being a 12.5 hour training week.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-07-13 9:52 PM

2011-07-14 1:07 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Denis, your training is definately looking solid.  You have nearly 2 months to add a little bike vollume and run vollume before your HIM.  With a marathon coming you you are going to have to start beafing up that run soonish.  It will help you on the HIM, but they you are going to need to drop back on the bike and swim to nail your mary time.  So like run 5-6 days a week and bike 2 days swim 1-2 days after the HIM.  You could even go as deep as run 6, bike 1 swim 1, but I have a hard time being that run focused. 

You should be fine swiming near the shore, especialy if the river speed is slowish.  For my IM you can just stand up if you are freeking out, the river is that shallow.... in most places. 

Vineman may have an athlete tracking system in place at no cost like CDA had last year.  They haven't anounced it either way yet.  At mile 80 on the bike you turn into the wind for 25 miles with the bigger hills starting around 95 and the big one at mile 100.  Once you crest that hill it feels like you should be done.. but that last 12 miles are a killer.  Your back, neck and shoulders are just ready to be done.  I am hoping with 5 100+ mile rides in the past 7 weeks that I might be a little stronger in this part.  And my legs have actually been more healthy this go round than preious IMs so my run vollume is more than double coming into this last month of training.  I am hoping to go sub 12hours, but temps could be as high as 105 and winds could kick up early... it is a long day so goals get adjusted accordingly on the course. 

Kona paces are 1 hour ish for a 4400 yard swim, 20.5 mph aveage on the bike and a 3:30 ish marathon at my age.  That is a really high bar and it all depends on who shows up on race day.  I figure some time in the next 20 years the pack will thin some and I will be able to squeeze in.  The journey will be what it will be.... but I like to set those goals high. 

So to write a book... "Lazy, Fat, and 40 You are an Ironman in the Rough." Or, You Just Turned 40, Corvet or Ironman."  Maybe, I Was a 40 Year Old Couchpotato and Now I am an Ironman!."  Maybe "How to burn 1,000,000 calories in just 3 years."  I think I am close to that will have to go back and check the math. 

2011-07-14 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3595683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Baowolf - 2011-07-14 1:07 AM

Denis, your training is definately looking solid.  You have nearly 2 months to add a little bike vollume and run vollume before your HIM.  With a marathon coming you you are going to have to start beafing up that run soonish.  It will help you on the HIM, but they you are going to need to drop back on the bike and swim to nail your mary time.  So like run 5-6 days a week and bike 2 days swim 1-2 days after the HIM.  You could even go as deep as run 6, bike 1 swim 1, but I have a hard time being that run focused.

Yeah I've been thinking about the run.  My idea is for now to perhaps go to 4 days running (1 long, 2 medium, 1 short) with a 3:2:1 mileage ration, e.g. 15 long, 10 med, 5 short.  I also need to start running longer than needed for HIM.  Luckily I am already at about a 10 mile long run with 4.5 months to train so getting to a 22ish long by late November won't be too difficult and will prevent me from upping the mileage too fast.  My main issue is the HIM will take 2-3 weeks of training out of me for tapering/recovery.

I got on up this morning and got my short bike and short swim in.  The lake is not open to swimming for the next week so it looks like my long swim will be in the cement pond.  I'll move that to Monday and do my run on Sunday morning.  Overall training is on pace still.

2011-07-14 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Hey all! I have had a busy week. Epcot at Disney on Tuesday, I am sure I walked enough to put something down for the training I missed. Meet a teacher friend Wednesday at the beach and trash talked. Got to admit that was fun. (Don't stand near me as I am sure to be struck down!) Today just the hubby and I are going to Naples for 5 days. Kids are stayig with family. Even though it is a rest vacation, I told my hubby I will bring my goggles-swimsuit as I am excited about swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.  This time of year it is warm and flat. (Just hope there is not Red Tide going on -dodging dead fish isn't in my training plans.) I will also get in a few runs as the homes there are incredible to see. Don't think I'll bring the bike, I don't have a carrier and with the suit cases and such it won't fit in the inside. So I'll be M.I. A. for a tad.

Troy-love the pic and great times! Bet it felt great to pass your college buddies!

Samantha-great progress on your bike and swim.  You sound so confident! You really have come a long way just in your posting outlook! I don't know how to count laps while doing flip turns.  I don't do flip turns as I don't want the added push off the sides of the pool to aide me.  So as I  just turn I do the penny thing. I put a penny down for every lap I want to swim.  Line the pennies in rows each equals 500y-my OCD coming out- put them all on top of the zip lock baggie, then as I "turn" I scoot a penny off of the baggie. Takes a tad bit more time, but I feel it is best for me so I don't have to worry about what lap I am on. About your question on tubes CO2 etc. I freaked out the day before my first sprint this year.  Thought what if I bust a tire and can't finish..? So I went to my LBS and bought a holder for under the seat, tube, CO2 and tools.  The guy gave me a crash course in fixing the tire. Interesting note, he said to put the tube in an old sock.  2 reasons, one to help protect the tube from the tools, and other reason it will provide you with something to wipe off your hands. Hope your mock tri goes well. I enjoy doing mock tris. Although I am sure the people at the YMCA wonder what that crazy lady is dong jumping into the pool in... are those clothes...wierdo! lol

Carol-GOOD LUCK! Is this a sprint distance race this weekend? And I am now super impressed with your progress on the bike. 41 miles! wow-new goal for me!

Dennis-Great swim, you are really progressing well!

Hubby wants me off the computer to get on the road. Don't look forward to the 5 hour car ride to Naples, but do look forward to adult time with my husband who is a work a holic and needs some rest.

Also, thanks all for the encouragement about an OLY.  I haven't decided yet... it is the 1 mile OWS that is holding me from making a commitment.  I know how freaked out I get and the issues I have in a race that is just an 880yd swim, to double that I dunno...how do you guys deal?  -Karen

2011-07-14 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

You are already swimming 1600 to 2200 yards in practice, so with a little work or now 1760/1800 yards ows shouldn't be a problem.  It will probably take you 300 yards to settle in and then, well you just keep swimming.  Play more with OWS if you want to gain confidence. 

Next week I will have to go swim in my wetsuit in a lake that will give me sniffles (pine pollen) but need to get that swim in.  Water temps are probably upper 50s, so  a couple miles should be good.  And, I can bring my fishing pole and after scoping out the lake while I swim around it I can find where the fish are hanging out.... 8).  Hrm..

It is interesting how low my motivation to workout is.  It is all part of the mind body taper thing, but I went home to run at noon and was like hrm take an hour nap or run 8 miles.... tough choice. 

2011-07-14 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Karen - Line the pennies in rows each equals 500y-my OCD coming out- put them all on top of the zip lock baggie, then as I "turn" I scoot a penny off of the baggie. Takes a tad bit more time, but I feel it is best for me so I don't have to worry about what lap I am on.

This is a great idea and I see what you mean about the push off. I get pretty far down the lane before I need to start swimming and I had thought about how much I might be losing, and since it is so hard to keep track of my distance I am gonna try your method. I hope you have a really sweet time wiht your husband in Naples. It sounds amazing to get time alone because it is doesn't seem to happen much when you have children.

Carol - 41 miles! You are so gonna rock an Olympic!!!!

Steve-Next week I will have to go swim in my wetsuit in a lake that will give me sniffles (pine pollen) but need to get that swim in.  Water temps are probably upper 50s, so  a couple miles should be good.  And, I can bring my fishing pole and after scoping out the lake while I swim around it I can find where the fish are hanging out....

Bahahaha...this made me laugh though I am not really sure why. Enjoy swimming and fishing. I hope you don't have fish that bite like someone else we know.

Dennis - you are getting so strong. I have little doubt that you are gonna do very well in your HIM. If you follow your current plan and avoid injury, which you seem good at doing, you are gonna kick butt!

Be careful on that bike course.  It might be a less traveled road but it appears to be a major road off the interstate..

You are right about the course. Online it says there will be a lane just for us, so we will see how it goes.

Okay, now for the big pre-race tri report. . . It was awesome! So it was my first OWS and I decided to swim in the lake because it was recommended as a good spot to swim and the water wasn't too bad. Getting in was hard, but after that I was fine. Thanks to all our conversations and articles I have read there was only one thing that happened that I was not expecting -  going up and down with the waves made me think I might get sick to my stomach. Thankfully I adjusted and it was okay. There were a couple of times I wanted to panic because I couldn't see anything under the water and I struggled from time to time keeping enough oxygen in my lungs to feel safe. I have trained myself to breathe every 5th to 7th stroke, but today I had to adjust as I went. Sometimes I would breathe every stroke just to keep calm. I managed to continue my bilateral breathing and felt it was a benefit. When I started swimming the water was calm, but the waves started picking up while I was out there and I started struggling to stay on course. I have never practiced siting, so I am gonna work on that for sure. One thing I did not remember to do was set the timer, so I have no idea how long it took. I think aroudn 30-40 minutes. Transition was slow because I had to get the sand out of my toes and my arms didn't want to work as well. Plus I forgot a couple things in my car. Great lesson for next weekend.

The bike was great. I was quit surprised to feel so good when it was over. Again I did a terrible job on timing my ride, but I believe it was around 45 minutes. Transition was smooth because I didn't need to change anything. I do want to remember to use sunglasses. Thankfully it was not an overly sunny day.

The run started off slow as my legs went through the adjustment. That was my first solid bike to run transition and everything people have told me was true. After a while I got in the groove and kept on running. I was able to complete the run distance in approx. the same amount of time as when I did the same route without swimming or biking first. It felt great to finish strong and feel very prepared for the real deal.

The only part that was hard was having continuos cramping in my stomach, like a side-ache, that started halfway through the bike and continued until halfway through the run. I breathed my way thorugh it, but was uncomfortable. I also ate a GU on the bike just to see, but the pain started long before I ate it. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and encouragement. I am gonna get out in the OW again over the weekend to "get my feet wet" again for practice. What a blast!!

Happy Friday to everyone. Carol I can't wait to hear about your race!

2011-07-15 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Woohoo!  Way to go Samantha.  Wise move to do the mock tri; what a super confidence builder!  We all knew you could do it, and now you do too .  You have probably already thought of this, but something that might not have come up in your mock tri is to make sure you have something to put on in T1 that your race # is already attached to (shirt or race belt).

Karen, good call on packing the hubby and leaving the bike.  The other way would not have been good .  Hope you two have a great time in Naples!

Steve, I was wondering how you moved from your home pool trainer to the open water.  How many OWS's will you do in prep?  Will you do any "normal" pool swimming along the way?  Good luck w/ the pine pollen stuff.  Does the reaction hit you during or after the swim?  Oh, and happy fishing!

Dennis, you do seem to be right on track for your HIM.  I agree, you know when to push and when to rest, and that will serve you very well.

Thanks for the encouragement on my progress, and yes someday perhaps an HIM.  Would be fun to volunteer for Austin HIM, but this year I'm staying the course on sprints and 10K's, capping off w/ the US Open OLY in early Oct.  After that, plan to focus on 1/2 mary's...go into one or two of them prepared instead of just slogging through an/or getting injured like in the past.  Then next yr, focus on mostly OLY distance.  MAYBE a HIM in the 3rd yr. or may decide OLY is enuf and work on getting better at it.  Enjoying the journey and staying motivated to be fit are #1 for me, and the rest is gravy.  Speaking of gravy, the race this weekend's race is a sprint (500y OWS, 17.6 m bike, 3.1 m run).  Same venue as the last one.  Main goal is an improved bike time.  My head/throat are pretty congested, so really hoping that doesn't mess up the weekend.  Tried Zyrtec last night, and it helped some, but made me really groggy thru this morning.  Probably not a good option for race day.  Mainly worried about trying to swim w/out being able to breathe!    

2011-07-15 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I have maybe a half dozen pool swims and maybe 2-3 OWS planned.  The Vineman is in a river with trees on the side, so if you get off track you hit trees... less room to get off track (although hitting bridges is bad).  Also because it is in a river it won't have 3 foot wind rollers coming in (like CDA last year).  So because of that I am not going to stress about the OWS too much.  If I were doing CDA I would focus much more on OWS and practicing siting (big lake big course big waves).  The water will be relatively calm at vineman. 

The polen thing just stuffs me up for a couple of days and makes it hard to sleep, not a big deal, just a number of tissues.  Myabe I should tie a line to a racebelt and troll during my swim to be more efficient in my use of time.... 

The smart thing to do is focus on sprints and olys until you get faster and then increase the distance.  I just find the longer races more fun.  Also, if I am going to drive 350 miles to a race I want it to be longer than an hour or two or it doesn't feel worth the drive.  I only did 1 sprint and that was back in 2007.  It might be fun to do another one to see how things go.  I have done 2 5ks, the first one in 2008 was 22:30 ish and my second one this year was 18:30 ish.  So maybe I could rock a sprint.  We see how things go muscle wise after the IM and how much recover time I need. 

Glad your practice Tri went so well, you now know you can do the distance np and you have a few things to make sure you have for the race.  You will do great.  If it was wavy you may have drunk a bit too much lake water which made you sloshy on the bike and run.  I drank a lot of water at CDA last year, bad timing on waves and such.  The really cold water caused some leg cramps too, but you can just swim through them.  Let your leg go limp and just focus on your upper body and it usually works its way out in 1 minute or so. 

2011-07-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3598516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Baowolf - 2011-07-15 1:43 PM

So maybe I could rock a sprint.  We see how things go muscle wise after the IM and how much recover time I need. 

One of the guys from IM Talk says he quit doing IM's and just does sprints now.  He says sprints are fun because you can just go 100% from the start and have a really fun race where you are shoulder to shoulder with your competition.  I understand that.

2011-07-15 10:45 PM

User image

Colorado

Samantha--I am carrying a spare tube and all the other stuff necessary to change my tire on the tri.

Dennis--I'm so impressed by your training.  Also, ITA that exercise prep time should count.  The amount of time it takes to get my bike ready, hook up the trailer, get sunscreen on the kids and myself, get the kids in the trailer (or stroller), run back into the house for whatever we forgot and then get out there is mind boggling!

Karen--love the sock trick for the old tube.  Good luck on figuring out about an OLY.  If you have the time, I'd do it and then just do more and longer swims until then.

Carol--hope you're feeling better soon.  I really struggle to do a decent swim when I'm congested.

Speaking of bikes and tire changing:  on my long ride last week my tube completely blew out in the middle of it.  I'd rolled over some sort of small but nasty metal piece, apparently when I'd stopped to adjust my seat at the halfway point.  The tube ripped completely in half.  Four people stopped to ask if I needed help, but I changed it myself.  The funniest part was at the end when an older gentlemen stopped to chat while I finished up.  I got the wheel out and then fished out wet wipes because I hate having dirty hands.  He said something like "wow, a purse on a bike.  Leave it to a woman."  :D  Yep, and I'm really happy I have them along.

Training this week kind of stinks!  Early Wednesday morning my youngest woke up at 4 am, threw up all over me and continued to do so for another 4-1/2 hours.  So that was a rest day for obvious reasons.  Yesterday I pulled the girls along on some errands, swam 1000m and only managed a 3-mile run before coming home and collapsing into bed with whatever the baby had.  Today I felt like crap so my only exercise consisted of more solo errand rides for a total of about 5 miles.  Bleh.  I'm feeling slightly better now and trying to figure out how to fit the rest in this weekend.  I'm thinking if I can run 6 tomorrow and 8 the day after that, maybe I'll skip the swim and just fit in a longish bike ride, probably tomorrow.  I'd like to swim again this week but unless I can fit that in on Sunday afternoon with my long run, it isn't going to happen because I'm subbing for our organist at church that morning. 

2011-07-16 7:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Sprints would be more fun if they weren't 350 + miles away. 

Anyway 80 mile bike ride in 20 mph winds today... 18.1 mph average followed by a 3 mile brick run at a 7:07 mpm pace (smokin).  Very happy with that.  To bad I fried my shoulder swiming yesterday.  Hopefully a few days/weeks rest will get it back to good shape again for Vineman.  I need some muscular ductape for my body. 

BTW I got some 2XU Eundurance Cycle shorts and like them a lot.  Yes I got a discount but I wore them on my 80 mile bike ride today with no bodyglide or butter and they were fine, no issues with my seat whatsoever.  This is way better than my previous pairs.  Sometimes spending the bucks gets a little comfort that is well desired.  With my other shorts I had gotten a lot of skin soreness from longer rides.  Not trying to pressure anyone into buying something expensive, but after 4 years I splurged for the Endurance shorts and they are such an imporovement.  I imagine most manufacturers have an endurance short. 

2011-07-17 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
It gets quieter by the week. I was noticing how many people joined this group and we never heard from them again. Things are going well. Did another OWS today. I don't know if I have the distance right; if I do then I am a slow poke. But it was great to get out. I have a friend who signed up for the same tri and she went with me today and she was not able to swim even half the distance. I really want her to have a good experience but she just hasn't put in much training time. Should be interesting. I also did a 4 mile run today. It took a lot of mental battling/praying to keepmrunning. It was a fast run for me too. One other big thing: I signed up for an Olympic tri that is o. September 4th. Does that seem totally crazy? I feel like I can be ready by then. Steve- thanks for the laugh re: trolling as you swim. I bet you swimmfaster than most people can real in their spinner. You could atract some big ol' fish. Just don't get eaten :-). Thanks for the heads up on the shorts. I will buy some soon and have been wondering what kind of quality difference actually exists. So many people at IM where wearing 2xu. How is your tapering going? Carol- I/we are cheering for you this weekend. Go kick some butt! And i went ahead and bought a race belt and used it in my mock just for practice. Lisa- I hope you are feeling much better and are able to get your training in that you have planned. Sick kids seems like one of the most challening parts of parenting. In those moments life really is about someone else and their needs. I could probably write more but my posts always end up being so long and I need to get to sleep. Long bike tomorrow!
2011-07-17 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Had 2 good long workouts this weekend.  The 50 mile bike ride on Saturday went great.  I am realizing that when I get finished with the ride that I feel more energetic afterwards each week.  

I broke the rules this morning during my long run though.  I added more mileage than I should have.  Not because I wanted to overtrain, more because yesterday became a mental health day and running is my therapist.  The distance ended up being 13.57 miles.  Luckily it was cooler and overcast this morning so my 20oz. Gatorade was all the support I needed.  Over half of the run was on roads I have never ran on before which made it more interesting.

My weekly totals are a little skewed this week because last week's long run was ran on Monday and this week's today so I have 2 long runs in my totals for the week but no long swims.  Next week I'll have no long runs and 2 long swims.  Oh well.

S: 3450.00 Yd 1h 23m 45s
B: 105.26 Mi  6h 31m 56s
R:  35.22 Mi  6h 22m 14s

2011-07-17 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

This week's taper might not be what yall would think of a taper (run 32 miles, bike 140 miles, swim 9200 yards), but for me it has been nice.  I was under such a fatigue load it was hard to keep my paces anywhere decent.  Now that I am decreasing the distance my pace is coming back.  Today I did 12 miles at a 7:55 pace with the last 3 splits being the fastest.  It is kind of like when you get over being sick and notice that all of the sudden you have a bit of energy. 

It is hard to think that the race is only 2 weeks away.  The shoulder is coming along so I am hoping that I will be good to go for race day with the swim.  Not sure how much to swim between now and then. 

Summer is hard to keep folks posting.  Many have vacations and although it seems like you should have more time to train in the summer some folks ... get caught up in other things.  I am glad that the core has remained active on the board.  Those who are active are showing great progress. 

An Oly in September is not out of the question.  Your biking is nearly there, your swim is nearly there, your run... needs some work.  I would just jump into an oly plan however many weeks out from the race you are now and go from there.  If you can't do a run as long as intended, just walk the last mile or whatever to get a little more distance.  Your bike will need to look more like 15 25 30,  swim 800 1000 1200, run 3 5 3 7.  You can drop the shortest swim if you dont have time for 9 workouts 8).  And you will have to build to these numbers, but should peak somewhere around there.  Don't worry about pace so much in your training as getting up to those distances.  Pace will come... next season.  It is hard to go up in distance and in speed at the same time. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-07-17 3:29 PM
2011-07-18 1:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Went for a long bike today but didn't have a mileage goal except to go at least as far as my upcoming race distance. Ended upmdoing over 12 miles and that was a good push. I had a riding partner who I think I might have gone a little bit slower for her to keep up. But I am also tired. With the mock tri and another long swim run and bike I am ready for a rest day- tomorrow!! - Steve, thanks for the feedback on doing the Oly. I feel I can be ready with continued steady training. The course description says it is fast and flat. That will be good for me. I will check out Oly training plans tomorrow. I love your taper numbers, and I also enjoy being able to tell my friends about "this guy I know who bikes a million miles a week". That is what it seems like sometimes, but it's fun to see there faces. So glad the tapering is bringing much needed relief for your body. Your pace is incredible! Glad tomhear your shoulder is holding together well. I wish I had professional advice, but I would say use it only as much as you need to in order to maintain your current level of fitness. I am sure you already know that though;-). Dennis- super good job on getting in your longs! I k ow what you mean about feeling better as you go each week. I think the human body is an incredible creation in its ability to build strength, endurance, etc. as I look back over the last few Years of my life, let alone the last few months, I am doing more than I have done in my lifetime. It has been so great to watch improvement happen. Looking forward to carols race report!
2011-07-18 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Did Carol drown?

2011-07-18 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Great question Dennis!
2011-07-18 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey guys!  Nope, no drowning....just without internet whilst we were glamping.  Got back home around noon today, and had to clean up and chill a bit.  I thought of you many times over the course of the weekend.  Wish we could all do a race together. 

First off though....Samantha, I love it!  You have signed up for an OLY !!  Yes, you CAN do it, and NO, you are not crazy any crazier than the rest of us.  I love the confidence that this sport helps us build.

As for the race this weekend, in a word.....HOT!  When we arrived at the campground on Saturday, it was 106 degrees.  My friend and I did a little practice swim in the lake that evening, and it was like bath water, which was kind of relaxing and OK since our race swim was only 500 yards. 

Race day was fun, and I'm very pleased to see improvements in my swim and bike.  I even got kicked in the face before the first buoy, and surprisingly recovered and reset my goggles w/out even really thinking about it or having to float on my back at all.  Had a slightly bloody nose it turns out, but nothing major.  T1 was better than last time, but still slow. Part of that is taking the time to test my blood sugar, but better safe than sorry until I have more experience dialing that in during a race.  Bike was a significant improvement in my pace over last time on a longer course.  A little disappointed that I didn't hit 16 mph...more like 15.77 I think, so yeah, I have lots more room to improve.  Run was pretty hot, and a little slower than last time.  My friend was faster in transistions by a couple minutes, and beat me by less than a minute on the bike, but I caught her at the end of the run.  We raced each other to the finish line in the last 100 yards and crossed together.  We're still mid/back of pack, but at least getting closer to the middle 13/14 out of 20 in our AG. 

Enjoyed visiting with folks at the Knobbies & Slicks tent (my LBS), which was equipped with a huge fan and cold beverages.  We camped again Sunday night, but it was so hot again that we really could not enjoy the outdoors much.  Did get a nice walk in this morning, and then headed back home. 

Want to catch up more on your goings on and post a real race report later, but wanted to get it out there that there was no drowning this weekend

2011-07-18 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ

Carol - awesome!  Glad you didn't drown and seems you did well despite the heat!

Looks like it's gonna be brutally hot all week here - not just high 90's/100, but really humid as well.  You can feel the pressure when you walk out the door.  Air quality advisories all week - I can feel it as soon as I wake up, i need to use the inhaler.  Hoping that a storm or some rain will roll through for some relief, but not sure if it will.

Work and family stuff has gotten me tied up pretty nicely.  We're selling our camper (the kids are getting too big!) and I've had to juggle work, kids and people coming to look at the camper.  Still - looking forward to using it as our base of operations at the race and I'll be sad to see it go.

I've been trying to keep up with posts as much as I can, but haven't really had time to respond.  Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well - I've been such a slacker!

2011-07-18 9:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Lazy day for me today.  I slept in and then took the youngest 2 for a hike to a little mountain peak and were home before the older kids were up.  My wife had already biked and she started her run as we were coming back.  We picked her some rare flowers from the top of mount Olympas and had them in a vase for her when she returned with her trusted companion, our dog who begged to come back home with us. 

I putsed with some things, read up on Vineman regs, what they will have on the course (yucky cliff bars) and grudgingly went for a slow bike ride into a 15 mph wind.  Not a lot of energy today and a bit of a stomach thing that hopefully will pass quickly.  I probably caught it from reading an earlier post. 

I have a coulpe of meetings tomorrow, but can go in to work late, Yay!

Sounds like a lovely weekend, glamping at the lake, a dead even race to the finish with a friend and the confidence to go as far as you want to take it in triathlon.  Congrats, everyone will think you are crazy now.... you rode your bike 40 miles.. wow I don't even like to drive that far.... 

We will be tent camping (ya 7 people and a dog in the 1 tent) for my race on a lake, so the kids can swim and such, go fishing, nap, go on a hike and then catch me after my first lap of the bike loop 8).  The Vineman has an ironman distance relay so you can have 3 people and each person does one leg.  Something to think about if you have a couple crazy friends you can do a practice IM.  Do your first marathon as part of an IM wouildn't that be cool?   Or swim and be done by 8:30 go have a champain brunch go shopping watch a movie or two, go out to dinner then meet the rest of your team at the finish around sunset.    

2011-07-18 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3603009

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Baowolf - 2011-07-18 9:27 PM

yucky cliff bars   

I love Cliff bars.  Eat one every morning for breakfast.

I bought a swim watch (Oregon Scientific SW202) tonight.  Don't bother.  I'll be returning a swim watch tomorrow.  $119 for a auto lap counting watch that doesn't show you your current lap while swimming, doesn't work in o[en water, and does not stop individual lap times.  

Edited by dhwebb 2011-07-18 10:26 PM

2011-07-18 11:40 PM

User image

Colorado

Carol--awesome tri for you, and glad to hear glamping went well.

Dennis--I also love Clif Bars. 

Steve--no doubt about it, you definitely caught the stomach thing from my earlier post. 

It's been super-hot here.  Yesterday it was in the mid-90s and so I waited until 7 to head out on my 8-miler.  I did it pushing J in the stroller and it was still in the 80s so it was a s-l-o-w run.  Usually there's more of a chance to acclimate to it, but this year we went from decent weather to the week or two of rainy (and cooler) afternoons and then immediately typical July weather where it's mid- to upper-90s and sunny all day and not cooling off much at night.  It's 10:30 and 79 degrees outside.  We don't have a/c either, so that doesn't help matters.

At least tonight I got to swim.  It was the first time I've felt cool all day.

BTW, here's the link to my blog with the full report on last weekend's half marathon.

2011-07-19 12:50 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

It must be one of those computer viruses I caught.  Feeling better though was able to eat dinner witout issue. 

We haven't gotten hot yet here either.  We have had some low 90s but nothing much higher than that.  I was hoping to get some heat to acclimate for my race as it could be high 90s low 100's but it looks like all mid to high 80s again this week.  I try to wait until the heat of the day to workout, but oh well.  Hard to even work up a sweat in these cool conditions.  If it holds for race day that would be really neat but I'm not holding my breath. 

Really short workouts this week.  Tomorrow is a 4 mile run and a 13 mile bike.  I will probably do both z2, we see how things go. 

So paces for my race, swim aiming at just a 2:00 /100 pace, bike I want to push things and hit 18 mph pace if there is no wind although anything better than 17.5 will be great.  Run I am planning on the first  third at 8:30, second third 8:45 and last third 9:00, but it may drift into high 9:00s by the end, depending on the heat.  It looks really good on paper, I just wish my bike leg was stronger. 

BTW this is the stuff you do in long tapers, crunch numbers look at race results etc.  If I run a perfect race with no problems anywhere I could finish 15th in my age group.  So anywhere between 15th and 22nd would be really great.  Hopefuly the swim arm recovers.  It is hard to believe race day is less than 2 weeks out.  Almost time to start gathering gear washing it picking out which pair of shoes to wear, putting in the elastic laces and getting them adjusted just right...etc.  

Running with the stroller (  so hard to do.  I have done it and you have to alternate pushing arms and such.  Be careful of your back doing that. 

Gnight.

2011-07-19 11:51 PM

User image

Colorado

When you run with the stroller most of the time, it's not a big deal.  Builds a strong core.  I've been running with a stroller most of the time for the last six years.  The longest run I've ever done with one was 11 miles, but that's about the limit because then the kid(s) really want out, and who can blame them?  Laughing  I'll take runner with a stroller to running on a treadmill almost any day. 

Today's exercise included another run to the library for storytime.  Getting the girls out of the house was not easy, so the run to the library was a little faster than usual so we wouldn't be late.  I'd hoped to bike this afternoon, but my oldest is still recovering from the stomach bug and fell asleep on the couch this afternoon (she didn't sleep most of the night she was sick) and my youngest even took a brief nap.  By the time they both woke up it was thundering.  Then it was dinnertime, then I got groceries, and finally I headed to the gym after they were in bed for a workout on the stationary bike.  Not ideal, but better than nothing.

2011-07-20 4:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I'm having a moment of not feeling it.  I took yesterday off.  For 2 reasons.  One I was tired because of getting to bed late the night before.  But mainly because I'm dreading the massive brick in my plan every week.   So I think I'm going to shorten that up.  Instead of doing my med. bike/sh. run as a brick, I think I'll use my sh. bike/sh. run.  That will reduce my brick to 2 - 2.5 hours.  Then in the last 4 weeks of build training (mid-aug thru mid-sept), I will go back to the longer version.

Well I'm off for my med. run for the week (around 8 miles).  I have a nasty sun burn so hopefully that won't prevent me from getting it done.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61