General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-02-05 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4610240

User image

New user

Fort Riley
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
Dad the book you sent me says not to exercise at least 2 hours before bed, but I can not exercise at least 4 hours before I get to much of an energy boost.

2013-02-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4610240

New user

I'm on the 9th floor, so that would be a pretty good workout, but the stairs are for emergencies only. I currently live on the 3rd floor of a walkup, so I get a fair number of stairs in. I used to do workouts running up and down them, may try that over the next couple of weeks as substitutes for my missed runs.

If I didn't workout within 4 hours of sleeping I won't get to workout very often. I'm generally in bed by 11 (I aim for 10, but there is always things that need to get done) and I don't normally get off work until 6, so would be a very narrow window. The pool I go to also has lane swim from 8 to 930. Hard to get to sleep right away, but I tend to sleep better overall on days that I workout.

Got a decent swim in tonight. 1.25km. First 1km was at a pretty solid pace (around 30min, which is pretty good for a slow swimmer like me) and then it got super busy and I was tired so I just took it easy with a couple of hard lengths.

2013-02-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4306637

Yeah, I find juggling work, family, and training can be pretty tough. It is just easier for me to get up early and get my workouts done in the mornings ( there when the gym opens at 5am). I also take a long lunch to get my second workout done then. I'm lucky in that I have a pretty flexible schedule and a boss who is big into working out and actually encourages me to go workout.

The last four weeks I have been forced to do later workouts (6:30-8) twice per week and I am generally in bed by 9-9:30. I found that I slept better on the nights I worked out late if I took a couple of ibuprophen before bed. And I slept really well those nights. Don't have to worry about that now, I'm back on 5am workouts. You could try it on a night when you don't have any obligations in the morning, that way you could sleep in if you don't sleep well.
2013-02-06 11:04 AM

User image

New user

Fort Riley
Todays work out was a challenge, it started off fine and then I just lost all drive after my walk. I forced myself to do some core work and then forced myself to do some bike training. Forced being the key word. Any words of advice or encouragement would be nice.
2013-02-06 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4611137

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

SoccerShadoe - 2013-02-06 11:04 AM Todays work out was a challenge, it started off fine and then I just lost all drive after my walk. I forced myself to do some core work and then forced myself to do some bike training. Forced being the key word. Any words of advice or encouragement would be nice.

I motivate myself by using the training log. I see you are logging, which is great.  I aim for only 1 rest day a week on a normal week and I like to see the numbers add up.   So, as you train more and more, I hope you will find that motivating.  Don't be too hard on yourself, sometimes you have tougher days.  But the key is to do it anyway -

2013-02-06 12:58 PM

User image

New user

Fort Riley
Its nice having a gym right across the street from my sons school. Even on the days I am not motivated to workout I go because it gas. Instead of driving home I just go across the street while he is at school, then pick him up and go home.

2013-02-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4611137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

SoccerShadoe - 2013-02-06 12:04 PM Forced being the key word. Any words of advice or encouragement would be nice.

BikerGrrrl is  right, using the training log is a tremendous motivator.  I like to take it one small step further.  If you really want to see some motivation, switch the view from Blog to Calendar.  This will show you what you did on any given date.  And it's color-coded so each discipline is easily spotted.  Check it out.

2013-02-06 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I would really like to be able to get a complete week of workouts in.  I get one or two in and then this cold returns.  And I was careful this week!  When I left the gym I knew it was cold, down in the teens.  So I was wearing my zipped leather jacket, a "Mad Bomber" fur lined hat with the ear flaps strapped down over my ears, and a towel covering the gap between hat and jacket on the neck.  I still relapsed.  Had unstoppable chills and shivers last night.  Has progressed to a soar throat and the beginnings of an earache during school today.

I think after this I am going to have to try a couple of late evening workouts, just to see how I sleep.

2013-02-07 9:49 AM

Yeah, I caught something similar a back in November, it was miserable. Finally after about 5 weeks, i decided it had probably become a bacterial thing rather than just a cold, so I went to the doc and he put me on antibiotics. It cleared it up in a few days, and I've been good as new since. Good luck, I hope you get feeling better soon.

Yesterday was a long run (50min) that was supposed to be intervals of 5min run, 2 min walk. I took off running down the trail and didn't stop for almost 25 minutes, I walked for five minutes, then turned around and ran back. I ran for 45 of the 50 minutes, which is by far my longest run...in my life. On the way down I averaged just at 10min/mi, on my way back I was a little bit faster, and so in order to keep running for the length of time I was aiming for, i had to keep running past my office. In all, i ran almost 5 miles. The best part was that trail I ran on is the run course for my A race in August, and I ran the majority of it. It was good for my confidence because I've been getting worried that i wouldn't be able to do the run portion because I couldn't run more than 15 minutes at a time, but with 6 months yet before my A race, i have no doubts now that i will be ready. I am certainly paying for the run this morning, and my trainer ride this morning was a bit painful. I just have one good swim today, and another short run tomorrow before a rest day on Saturday.
2013-02-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4612678

New user

DB, great run, congratulations! Especially impressive that you backed it up with a trainer ride the next morning.

I got in another 30min on the drainer last night. Tonight I have a swim scheduled, hopefully the pool isn't too busy. Unfortunately it will be the last swim I get in for a little bit. We are visiting my gf's parents this weekend (so probably no workouts fri-sunday and probably bad eating) and then the pool is closed tuesday for a staff training. I may have to find another pool that's open in the area because a week without swimming is bad (no lane swims on monday or wednesday evening). So I'm determined to get in a good swim tonight!

2013-02-07 1:52 PM

I managed two MAJOR feats this week.

1.  Treadmill, 4 mile run with no walking at all.  Kept it at 5.7 MPH steady.  1.5% grade.

2.  Treadmill, 3 mile run with no walking, speed at 6.1 MPH.  That makes 3 miles, in a row, with sub-10 minute miles.  I must have reached for that (-) button twenty times, but kept telling myself I could manage another half-lap.  1.5% grade.

Now, I've got an indoor tri on Sunday.  Think my goal will be to do the 5 mile run in under 53 minutes.  I've decided that it's almost all mental.  My body may be down to 270 lbs, but the brain still thinks I'm 410 at times.

2013-02-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4613164

User image

Pennsylvania
merkin4 - 2013-02-07 2:52 PM

I managed two MAJOR feats this week.

1.  Treadmill, 4 mile run with no walking at all.  Kept it at 5.7 MPH steady.  1.5% grade.

2.  Treadmill, 3 mile run with no walking, speed at 6.1 MPH.  That makes 3 miles, in a row, with sub-10 minute miles.  I must have reached for that (-) button twenty times, but kept telling myself I could manage another half-lap.  1.5% grade.

Now, I've got an indoor tri on Sunday.  Think my goal will be to do the 5 mile run in under 53 minutes.  I've decided that it's almost all mental.  My body may be down to 270 lbs, but the brain still thinks I'm 410 at times.

Awesome accomplishments, be proud of keeping your finger off the (-) button!   Wishing you the best at your tri this weekend.

2013-02-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4611853

User image

Pennsylvania
leatherneckpa - 2013-02-06 6:51 PM

I would really like to be able to get a complete week of workouts in.  I get one or two in and then this cold returns.  And I was careful this week!  When I left the gym I knew it was cold, down in the teens.  So I was wearing my zipped leather jacket, a "Mad Bomber" fur lined hat with the ear flaps strapped down over my ears, and a towel covering the gap between hat and jacket on the neck.  I still relapsed.  Had unstoppable chills and shivers last night.  Has progressed to a soar throat and the beginnings of an earache during school today.

I think after this I am going to have to try a couple of late evening workouts, just to see how I sleep.

Geez, doesn't sound so good.  Wishing you good health soon!  Stoopid germs.

2013-02-07 5:33 PM

User image

New user

Fort Riley
So here is a great question, how much training can you safely do while you are pregnant? Second question when are you to far along to participate in a triathlon? And if you haven't guessed I found out today that I am 7 weeks 1 day pregnant, which I had no idea I was when I agreed to do the triathlon in June with my father.
2013-02-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4613486

New user

SoccerShadoe - 2013-02-07 6:33 PM So here is a great question, how much training can you safely do while you are pregnant? Second question when are you to far along to participate in a triathlon? And if you haven't guessed I found out today that I am 7 weeks 1 day pregnant, which I had no idea I was when I agreed to do the triathlon in June with my father.

congratulations! and I'm going to go with talk to your doctor...

Got my swim in tonight. Super pleased, I did  2k in just under an hour. Longest swim I've done since my lifeguarding days and first time I've timed a decent length swim. I was worried that I may be in trouble for the swim cut off time at Lake placid, but this makes me feel much better. I did a combination of freestyle and breatstroke, which is what I think I will do in the race.

170 days to go!

2013-02-08 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4613486

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

SoccerShadoe - 2013-02-07 5:33 PM So here is a great question, how much training can you safely do while you are pregnant? Second question when are you to far along to participate in a triathlon? And if you haven't guessed I found out today that I am 7 weeks 1 day pregnant, which I had no idea I was when I agreed to do the triathlon in June with my father.

Congrats! Agreed - ask the doc.   It's an individual case based on your health and current fitness.  It has to do with heart rate, overheating, etc. 

How far along is totally dependant on the woman too, just based on what I've seen.

• some women can't stand riding their bike after their tummy is big, depends on bike
  • some women find running impossible at different stages (some right away, some run the WHOLE time)
  • swimming not usually an issue, but finding a wet suit might be hard
  • I would also consider the safety of bicycle riding at a certain point.  If I fall not-pregnant, I might break a limb. If I am pregnant, what would get hurt?
  • I have seen very pregnant looking women do tris.  I am not a great judge, but I'd say I've seen up to if not past the 6 month mark.  

2013-02-09 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I think a doctor who trains if going to give you a significantly different answer than one that doesn't train for anything.  At the very least I would consult with a sports med doctor, but an athlete doctor would be even better.
2013-02-11 7:43 AM

New user

hmm, looks like things were quite here over the weekend... hopefully everyone stayed safe with the storm if you are in the NE.

I got a 1:15 trainer ride in on Friday, longest ride today. Sore from the saddle but other than that I think it went fairly well, definitely very tired at the end of it. Rest of the weekend for me was rest as I was away for the weekend. Tonight I will hopefully be back on the trainer.

2013-02-11 8:19 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Well, I'm back at it.  After being sick and letting the weather get the best of my workouts, Randi and I kicked it back into gear this weekend.  I got my exercise Saturday by shoveling snow (on what should have been a rest day), then a solid 50min trainer ride yesterday.  This morning we were up and out at 5am for the pool.  Swam 1200y in a combo of WU, drills, CD.  All in all, not bad after not swimming for a week.  This week we WILL workout everyday!

Happy Monday!

2013-02-11 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4617141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Yes,  like Mike said, we are back on track, besides I signed us up for another race over Memorial Day weekend.  It is a super sprint for Mike and an aquabike for me, actually looking forward to it.  Meanwhile, I am also signed up now as part of a relay team for the sprint distance at the NJ State Tri.  I will be swimming on Saturday for the sprint and then doing the aquabike on Sunday for the Olympic.    Should be a fun weekend.  Besides, it puts me in transition to cheer Mike on as he does the full sprint.

Today,  swan 1500 - 200 w/u, 1000TT, 100 easy and 200 c/d - felt really slow but what can you expect when I haven't swam more than 2 times in 3 weeks, right?  I also did 45 minutes on the training and yoga for about 15 minutes.  Felt great but have been STARVING all day. 

2013-02-13 8:02 PM

New user
30 minutes drainer monday, tuesday off, 30 minutes on the drainer tonight. Having major problems with my back though, I may need to take some time off...

2013-02-19 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

First time in the gym since that nasty bug got a hold of me.  Could only manage 20 minutes on the Dreadmill.  Kicked my BUTT!  Nearly coughed up a lung.  I think I will concentrate on the Dreadmill and Drainer for the next week or two, until my lungs can manage my full 45-60 minute workout.  I don't dare go into the pool gasping like this.

Oooh!  The good news.  Yesterday I ordered my new bicycle for this season.  It's a 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 with a full 105 groupo.  Should have it before the end of the month, which will give me a full month of saddle time to get acclimated to it.

The bad news?  I just read that White Lake has a 2:30 cutoff limit.  That means I have to cut over 38 minutes off my Blueman time.

47 days to White Lake

2013-02-20 10:06 AM

First of all, congrats Candi! I'm a little late to the party. I too got hit with a nasty cold. Still have some residual effects, but decided I have had enough rest.

Something happened last week in the pool, and all of the sudden something "clicked," my pull feels like I am actually pulling some water. My times reflect this as well. Even when I am doing a slow set, my 50 yd splits are as fast as my med-hard sets a couple of weeks ago, and I am continuing to improve. I had hit a plateau and was beginning to get frustrated with swimming, now I can't wait to get back in the pool and build on this improvement.

I did not get a single run in last week, which is unfortunate because the sun was out the entire time I was sick. Oh well, I'll do it in the cold today. My goal is to not do a treadmill run unless i absolutely have to!

Glad to hear everybody is on the mend. Keep up the hard work!
2013-02-25 8:08 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Happy Monday!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  The thermometer hit 40 yesterday, so it was a good morning to get a run outside.  I did 2.5 miles with no shin pain, so that was a win for me.  Burned lots of calories playing paintball yesterday.  Got in a good 1650 yd swim to start the day this morning.  Overall, I feel good and am glad the weather is getting better.

2013-03-01 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Well, I just got back from the ER and White Lake is now off the list.  Seems I have gallstones and will be having surgery within the next week or two to remove my gallbladder.  So unless I find a suitable sprint in May, it appears that my first race this year will be the Topeka Tinman in June, long course.

Bummer, 'cause my new bike is supposed to be ready for pick-up this weekend too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45