General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-26 5:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

Originally posted by hornjs Socks, do you have any more call before next saturday? I return from vacation Sunday to take call Monday, mop up all the leftovers just in time to leave Wednesday night. Whew. And my legs are destroyed from walking around Disney/Animal King/Epcot/Hollywood for 6 days with a 45lb weight on my shoulders (my son). I need to recover them quickly (lots of rolling this week).

I have call til Monday 7am. We take a week at a time. I have 2 cases this am and then have to schlep to another hospital to see some idiot I was unfortunate to get saddled with how has a 6 week hx of an infected thumb who I might need to I&D tomorrow, because you know I would not want to  be able to sleep in....ever.  Praying some stupid thing doesn't come in the next 49 hours that can't be fixed til later or something.  My partner did take 2 cases off my hands tho God bless him. call BA-LOWS.  I got TEN consults yesterday and 8 of them were BS

Disney will kill you.  I HATE animal kingdom...stupid rental strollers are HUGE and everyone is whacking into your ankles.  My your phone not ring on Monday!!  Call Ba-LOWS!!!

Edited by Socks 2013-10-26 5:25 AM

2013-10-26 6:00 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
LMAO!

The Disney posts are cracking me up! I was also up there earlier in the week; loving on my nephews who were visiting from NJ.

And I'm also suffering from Disney (and golf course) legs.
2013-10-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by jashac

Most beneficial wind direction? Tail wind.

Obviously, but with a loop can't have a tailwind the whole way. Having never ridden the course I didn't know how much was sheltered from the wind. It looks like the forecast N winds wouldn't be so bad on the bike.
2013-10-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by rjrankin83
Originally posted by jashac Most beneficial wind direction? Tail wind.
Obviously, but with a loop can't have a tailwind the whole way. Having never ridden the course I didn't know how much was sheltered from the wind. It looks like the forecast N winds wouldn't be so bad on the bike.
  Not much shelter and the wind tends to shift as the day goes on so its really impossible to be all "Oh GOODY the wind is ___ direction I will have tailwind on the way back"  Only thing for sure is there will be wind off the water the first and last 10 miles of the course and it tends to whip under the condos along the water and can make for slightly tricky riding.

2013-10-26 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4489246

User image

Duluth, GA
My Weather Channel app is driving me nuts! It's gone from predicting a 10% chance of rain on race day to 60%, then 80% and now it's back down to 10%. No more checking the weather report for me until Thursday. I lived in FL for 20 years and remember the unpredictability of the rain. I should have known better to check so early.
2013-10-26 12:30 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by yourecrazy

My Weather Channel app is driving me nuts! It's gone from predicting a 10% chance of rain on race day to 60%, then 80% and now it's back down to 10%. No more checking the weather report for me until Thursday. I lived in FL for 20 years and remember the unpredictability of the rain. I should have known better to check so early.

Right now they're calling for downpours Friday afternoon/night. Which brings me to a question: This is my second time racking my bike the night before a race. I'll cover my bars and seat but what about the chain? Does anybody carry a rag race morning to wipe down the chain? Just curious if it will rust at all sitting out all night

2013-10-26 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by yourecrazy My Weather Channel app is driving me nuts! It's gone from predicting a 10% chance of rain on race day to 60%, then 80% and now it's back down to 10%. No more checking the weather report for me until Thursday. I lived in FL for 20 years and remember the unpredictability of the rain. I should have known better to check so early.
Right now they're calling for downpours Friday afternoon/night. Which brings me to a question: This is my second time racking my bike the night before a race. I'll cover my bars and seat but what about the chain? Does anybody carry a rag race morning to wipe down the chain? Just curious if it will rust at all sitting out all night

Please explain why people cover their bike seat when they are doing a race in which they will be getting on a bike in shorts they just swam in and are therefore WET?  Yeah I get some people change their shorts for an IM but I have racked my bike for tons of shorter races and I never understood that.  I get covering the bike computer over even the whole bike but not the seat esp as a lot of people pee on their bike seats as well.  Never seen anyone wiping their chain off.......and I will not.  Might make more sense to spray it down with lube as if it rains might wash off the bike grease

2013-10-26 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I guess to keep there fuzzy seat cover dry?
2013-10-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by GAUG3 I guess to keep there fuzzy seat cover dry?
But you are going to sit on it in WET tri shorts and maybe even pee on it......I no get it. 

2013-10-26 2:39 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Regular

Here's the link to a spreadsheet on Google docs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFMmpX-8XL2dFZsYU14aWt6eFQ0bHM1cXE2TnJ2WVE&usp=sharing

Try it if you want to play.    Changes are saved as they are made.

Jasha

Thought I'd bump this up for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Lots of additions since I last looked.   Here's a list of those of us racing, race numbers, screen name and actual name, as well as your goal for the race.    You can add or revise your own entry. 

Just checking in, I threw my info into the worksheet. This will be my first full IM.

With very conservative pacing:
Swim: 2min/100m: 1:20
T1: 5min
Bike: 17mi/hr
T2: 4min
Run: 10min/mi
Total: 12:21

On a perfect A+ day:
Swim: 1:55/100m (Swam 1:51 pace at Nationals)
T1: 4min
Bike: 18mi/hr (1/2 iron bike pace is 19.5+)
T2: 2min
Run: 9min/mi (long training runs have been in the 8:20s)

Total: 11:29

This would be huge, as my two 1/2s have been in stupid hot weather. I wither in the heat, and have never broken 6. To go sub-12 would make my head explode.
2013-10-26 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by yourecrazy My Weather Channel app is driving me nuts! It's gone from predicting a 10% chance of rain on race day to 60%, then 80% and now it's back down to 10%. No more checking the weather report for me until Thursday. I lived in FL for 20 years and remember the unpredictability of the rain. I should have known better to check so early.

Please explain why people cover their bike seat when they are doing a race in which they will be getting on a bike in shorts they just swam in and are therefore WET?  Yeah I get some people change their shorts for an IM but I have racked my bike for tons of shorter races and I never understood that.  I get covering the bike computer over even the whole bike but not the seat esp as a lot of people pee on their bike seats as well.  Never seen anyone wiping their chain off.......and I will not.  Might make more sense to spray it down with lube as if it rains might wash off the bike grease

Apologies as I said this is only my second time pre racking my bike and have only seen people do it can't explain it. It really doesn't make any sense. I just don't want to let my bike sit out in the rain then it stop raining and things begin to rust before I get to ride it. I mean I wouldn't clean my bike and not dry it

2013-10-26 4:56 PM

User image

Rochester
Don't worry about the rain or weather. There is nothing you can do to change it so it is just wasting nervous energy. Don't worry about your bike getting wet either. It won't rust in twelve hours. Bikes get wet all the time and are just fine. It poured rain in Vegas this year for all of the bike and my bike turned out just fine. I cleaned it up after the race and there are no problems. If it's really bad take it to your shop when you get home and have them take it apart and clean it really thoroughly. I doubt you'll need to though.
2013-10-26 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

But you are going to sit on it in WET tri shorts and maybe even pee on it......I no get it. 

Any Age Group athlete not getting paid or actually try for a KQ, is an idiot for peeing on the bike. it takes very little time to stop, do your thing and go on. It sure makes after race clean-up must nicer!
2013-10-26 7:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by godekjames

Any Age Group athlete not getting paid or actually try for a KQ, is an idiot for peeing on the bike. it takes very little time to stop, do your thing and go on. It sure makes after race clean-up must nicer!
I agree.  I will never pee on my bike, or in my shoes.  EEEWWWWWW more power to you if you feel the need but not my thing

And I am not trying to offend anyone with the question it just never made any sense to me.   

Edited by Socks 2013-10-26 7:22 PM
2013-10-26 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Who is excited that next week 7 days from now you will be an Ironman (for first time or for repeat) or those BOP you will be out there finishing up the end of your Mary!!!

I'm excited for all of you!

Hay is in the barn!

2013-10-26 9:57 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Regular
Yes, 7 days from now my legs will probably feel better than they do after Disney. Im gonna do one more long ride tomorrow. Ill try to get a couple swims in and maybe a run or two in the 6 mile range.
I am dreading getting on the scale tomorrow am. I have been trending towards race weight for the last three months. AFter a short bought of dysentery I was below and feeling trim. After Disney, I feel bloated and may need a hoveround to get about. Best meal was Norway at Epcot though , totally indulged a bit early. Didn't have a bad meal the whole week, and honestly tried to have grapes/carrots as snacks, but less than ideal eating all week.

I took a few people out with my stroller at Disney. If I am walking at a constant pace, and some stupid wants to cut in front of me to get to the shuttle before me...you're getting your ankles clipped by my stroller. There are no apologies on my end. First day or so, I let it slide, but as the week grew on, I was hoping for those people.

Socks, call does suck. My last all nighter was an obese person who wrecked their ATV drunk at night and tore their popliteal artery. I know you can appreciate that. Who is riding an ATV intoxicated at 10pm?

Anyway, glad to be back, hope to get cobwebs ironed out tomorrow and start organizing the ever growing mound of crap I bring to these events.

2013-10-26 10:39 PM
in reply to: sbradley11

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by sbradley11 Don't worry about the rain or weather. There is nothing you can do to change it so it is just wasting nervous energy. Don't worry about your bike getting wet either. It won't rust in twelve hours. Bikes get wet all the time and are just fine. It poured rain in Vegas this year for all of the bike and my bike turned out just fine. I cleaned it up after the race and there are no problems. If it's really bad take it to your shop when you get home and have them take it apart and clean it really thoroughly. I doubt you'll need to though.

Right.  In three previous IMFL races I've found that the forecast for Saturday is pretty good on Friday.  Then you'll have a pretty good idea about what to wear, and what you want in you SN bags, also what options you want in T1 and T2 clothing wise.  As far a packing for the race, I'd bring everything. (well except for real winter riding gear)  You might mention to your spectators that it can be shorts and T-shirt weather, or they might need a jacket.  --Especially for the swim start. I've seen videos with people wearing t-shirts, but all three years I've done it the temperature on the beach was in the 30's.  That's right I said the 30's.  (for us it makes the water feel not so cold. 

Less than one week now!

2013-10-27 10:16 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by hornjs Yes, 7 days from now my legs will probably feel better than they do after Disney. Im gonna do one more long ride tomorrow. Ill try to get a couple swims in and maybe a run or two in the 6 mile range. I am dreading getting on the scale tomorrow am. I have been trending towards race weight for the last three months. AFter a short bought of dysentery I was below and feeling trim. After Disney, I feel bloated and may need a hoveround to get about. Best meal was Norway at Epcot though , totally indulged a bit early. Didn't have a bad meal the whole week, and honestly tried to have grapes/carrots as snacks, but less than ideal eating all week. I took a few people out with my stroller at Disney. If I am walking at a constant pace, and some stupid wants to cut in front of me to get to the shuttle before me...you're getting your ankles clipped by my stroller. There are no apologies on my end. First day or so, I let it slide, but as the week grew on, I was hoping for those people. Socks, call does suck. My last all nighter was an obese person who wrecked their ATV drunk at night and tore their popliteal artery. I know you can appreciate that. Who is riding an ATV intoxicated at 10pm? Anyway, glad to be back, hope to get cobwebs ironed out tomorrow and start organizing the ever growing mound of crap I bring to these events.

Do you live in PA? Seriously I used to work up there and the ATVs are ridiculous and for some reason if its nice out everyone feels the need to get drunk and stupid on them.  We had a death and or a long bone fx everyday of every weekend from those stupid things if it was nice out.  And don't get me started about people who let their kids ride those things.  There is a reason the driving license age is 16-17 and its because children do not have the motor skills to drive. 

ANYWAY.....my wt is up too.....although I was never at racing weight anyway but I was close. Stress of a new job and being on call plus trying a new nutrition strategy that backfired but I can't do anything about it at this point all I can do is enjoy the ride  

walking the parks will get you plus standing in endless lines etc etc.  Walking always gives me shin splints.....running not so much

May your phone not ring tomorrow!!! I canceled my afternoon hours Tuesday because if they send me some whining crybaby with nothing wrong with them demanding narcotics I would probably tell them to get the fcuk out of my office and that would probably be considered bad form

2013-10-27 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
can anyone recap any scheduled get togethers? if any
2013-10-27 6:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wed:

8 am Swim meet at patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center of hotel on beach side

Thursday:

8am Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center on beach side
12:00 Lizas Kitchen, 7008 Thomas Drive, PCB-very casual come when you can, lots of seating and often folks come and go

Friday:

8 am:  Group Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel beach side (host hotel) near center

Sunday:
If interest pontoon to Shell Island and see the dolphins in pm will be about 4 hours but we drive the pontoon

6pm: Mellow Mushroom Pizza 8746 Thomas Drive, PCB-hopefully we can get a big table upstairs

2013-10-27 6:13 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Master
1 week to go and I feel sick. Stuffy nose, sore throat.

Oh well, nothing to do now but hit the start line.

2013-10-27 6:28 PM

User image

Grand Rapids
It's almost here!! It's been a loooonnnggg, busy week. Slammed at work! (Why is it that I had almost nothing to do two weeks ago, but now I'm in over my head?!?!) Oh well, I think everything is under control.

I'm driving from Michigan, leaving Tuesday morning. Cross your fingers for good weather! Hope everyone is doing great!!
2013-10-27 6:55 PM
in reply to: jonathan22

Veteran
Originally posted by jonathan22

1 week to go and I feel sick. Stuffy nose, sore throat.

Oh well, nothing to do now but hit the start line.

I've been sick for just over a week now, fortunately it hasn't impacted any training. I think it's just the standard cold and I could still race with it. Today is the first day I have felt partially normal.
2013-10-27 7:02 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Finished my last real workouts today. In training for Ironman I have ridden my bike 3013 miles and 190 hours, ran 780 miles and 122 hours, and swam 66,000 yards and 85 hours. I'm pretty sure there is nothing else I can do to be ready, except of course obsessively check the weather.
2013-10-27 7:02 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Finished my last real workouts today. In training for Ironman I have ridden my bike 3013 miles and 190 hours, ran 780 miles and 122 hours, and swam 66,000 yards and 85 hours. I'm pretty sure there is nothing else I can do to be ready, except of course obsessively check the weather.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41