BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-28 3:26 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by kidtri33
Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.
What?!?! I am suppose to know my races for next year already?!

I know right?!?!  I barely have this year figured out, let alone next year.  

Haha. Coach just shot me over my plan for the rest of this year and we've discussed major races next year as well. Right now I'm looking at Sylvan Beach sprint next weekend, then being off through most of the summer and racing Clear Lake Olympic the end of August, then Oilman 70.3 in November. Then next year it's the Houston Marathon in Jan, NOLA 70.3 in April, and then hopefully IMFL next fall. I have to get Cindy to sign off on that one though.

2013-05-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Originally posted by uhcoog

Haha. Coach just shot me over my plan for the rest of this year and we've discussed major races next year as well. Right now I'm looking at Sylvan Beach sprint next weekend, then being off through most of the summer and racing Clear Lake Olympic the end of August, then Oilman 70.3 in November. Then next year it's the Houston Marathon in Jan, NOLA 70.3 in April, and then hopefully IMFL next fall. I have to get Cindy to sign off on that one though.

Once I've progressed a little further into this I'll get a coach and have them help with race decisions.  Honestly I'm really hoping that my wife's boss can take me on.  She works for two doctors, one who is a marathon coach, the other is a triathlon coach.  The Tri coach said he was too busy with his sons to take me on completely, but he's been giving me some insight and advice.  The marathon coach is my chiropractor, so we discuss races, training, and everything else already.

2013-05-28 5:15 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by kaburns1214

Originally posted by jarvy01

I want a comfortable, high quality wetsuit with a superior fit. I want one and I need one, but I won't be getting one this year. I would also love a power meter because sometimes I lack self discipline when it comes to monitoring HR, and I would love to see if the power meter would be an easier measure of effort for me on the roads.

I do not use power meters to govern training. Power is like pace. Its something you measure while trainng and something you can use to measure progress and to help pace on race day but it shouldn't be used to "pace" training. Biking by power is like running by pace -- it doesn't take into account all of the stressors in your life and can't help measure the total load you may be placing on your body.

I use it govern my recovery days and have found I'm much fresher after where as HR sometimes didn't leave my legs feeling recovered.

With recovery days, its almost impossible to have "too low" of a HR -- I don't see any issues with sitting below your recovery zone HR if your body needs it.

It's more a case of being in my recovery zone and my legs and HR feel fine but the next day I don't feel rested. By sticking to my power hard cap I've avoided that.
2013-05-28 7:17 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
If I don't have a water bottle RIGHT under my nose, I forget all about it. I have ridden for 1.5 hr and come home with almost a full water bottle in my holder. Since I had my aero drink bottle holder fixed I am MUCH better at hydrating. Even then I still set an alarm, just to give me a 'minimum' to drink.
2013-05-28 7:24 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Piece of equipment - I'd love a garmin I could use to swim in. 910? 910xt? I think it's one of those. I also love the disc wheels but I'm embarrassingly slow, so I'd feel like an idiot having one.
2013-05-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Regular

I'd love a triathlon bike, but that would be a difficult conversation with my wife, who would ask the very sensible question why I need a fifth bike.  Her buy-in is completely necessary for my participation in this sport at all, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.  

More realistically, I think I could use some sort of gadget (watch?) that I could wear in all three disciplines that could keep all my data in one place.  Probably even more helpful than that would be a coach. 

This triathlon thing is getting expensive...

2013-05-28 9:15 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Haymarket, VA
Too bad y'all missed out on the sale that several websites were having this past week.  The 910xt was $299.
2013-05-29 12:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Thought I'd start this week off with a question for the group:

What is the one equipment upgrade you want the most? We all know triathletes like their toys so shoot.

I have two, one that my head says I could use and one that my heart says.

1. Head: New Rotor crankset with shorter arms and Qrings

2. Heart: Race wheels (torn between Flos and HED 3 front with a disc)

I'll start with things I still need:
1. A wetsuit. But I don't want to buy before late summer because I'm still losing weight.

Ok, maybe that's all I really NEED before November. But an actual bike shirt would be nice. And a tri suit. And a new helmet. And an upgrade to my Forerunner 110 watch. And a bike computer that didn't crap out half the time (lately I've ended up using the Strava app for my numbers). This is getting expensive and depressing. Next post.

2013-05-29 5:29 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Veteran
Injury report: I did something to the arch area of my foot on Sunday during my long run. Nothing like this has happened before. It's definitely better but had to cut yesterday's run short because of lingering soreness. Going swimming today instead of my hill workout. I feel guilty that I am missing a core staple of my week. Not sure what else I can do for it but rest.

The OWS on Sat went much better. The water was really cold and it was windy, which made for decent chop. I think I have learned that it takes me a little while to get into a good flow and rhythm while swimming.

I wish I had known Pearl Izumi's stuff comes in smaller sizes. I had to return my Try Fly bike shoes and ISO Transition running shoes for a size up. I will be transitioning into a more neutral shoe. I put it on and tried it out. Oh my goodness does it feel strange compared to what I am used to.

Wish List : New Bike. I made a deal with myself. If I finish my HIM and meet certain goals....new bike for Christmas.

No clue on races next year. I want to see how I do in my HIM.
2013-05-29 5:40 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Originally posted by ccmpsydWas off the grid for the past week or so. Had to testify 2x, work got backed up as a result, training, then exhaustion and sleep; kid concussion E.D visit, CT scan yesterday (post 11 mile run).
Was the kid concussion a kid of yours? I certainly hope she/he is ok. That kind of stuff is really scary...

Yup...Sam and Elsa were biking on a trail in the woods. Sam apparently hit (glanced) a tree with her head. I was doing work inside and they continued playing. A while later Elsa came in and I asked what she and Sam were doing. She said Sam was taking a nap. Sam never takes naps. So I checked on her. She was loopy. I instantly knew something was not right. I asked what she was doing and she said that she had some soda. It is funny in hindsight because we do not have soda. I gave her a quick neuropsych screen and then off to the hospital. CT scan was okay. She is still having headaches, slept yesterday for 3 hours. Lacrosse done for the season for her.

I cannot believe the discharge instructions the ED gave us. Completely inaccurate and bad medical advice - they did not mention anything about remaining symptom free before resuming activities etc. Fortunately I have a good computer test that is used for assessing attention, concentration, impulse control. I gave it to Sam and will give it again in a couple of weeks to assess improvements.

Thank you very much for asking
2013-05-29 6:40 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Originally posted by ccmpsydWas off the grid for the past week or so. Had to testify 2x, work got backed up as a result, training, then exhaustion and sleep; kid concussion E.D visit, CT scan yesterday (post 11 mile run).
Was the kid concussion a kid of yours? I certainly hope she/he is ok. That kind of stuff is really scary...

Yup...Sam and Elsa were biking on a trail in the woods. Sam apparently hit (glanced) a tree with her head. I was doing work inside and they continued playing. A while later Elsa came in and I asked what she and Sam were doing. She said Sam was taking a nap. Sam never takes naps. So I checked on her. She was loopy. I instantly knew something was not right. I asked what she was doing and she said that she had some soda. It is funny in hindsight because we do not have soda. I gave her a quick neuropsych screen and then off to the hospital. CT scan was okay. She is still having headaches, slept yesterday for 3 hours. Lacrosse done for the season for her.

I cannot believe the discharge instructions the ED gave us. Completely inaccurate and bad medical advice - they did not mention anything about remaining symptom free before resuming activities etc. Fortunately I have a good computer test that is used for assessing attention, concentration, impulse control. I gave it to Sam and will give it again in a couple of weeks to assess improvements.

This is scary, Chris. It sounds like you know your stuff and are able to monitor her yourself. I'm glad to hear she's ok.

I'm also sorry to hear about your injury. I hope the rest helps and you're back to running soon.

2013-05-29 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.

Looks like a fun year, Scott!!!
2013-05-29 6:47 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Recovery ride and run done this a.m. I'm feeling sluggish lately, and I think it's the result of a combo of things. While Memorial Day weekend was fun, I spent the entire weekend outside in the woods. Allergens were all around me (I'm allergic to nature...LOL). I woke up on Sunday and my eyes were swollen and glued shut. My asthma flared up. Unfortunately my parents intend to hold all future family weekends at this new site, so I'm going to have to learn to cope with this environment. We go back for the 4th of July and I think I'm going to get a cortisone shot or something before I go.

Last training block was tough and I really gave it 100%. I think because I worked so hard, it's taking me longer to recover this week. Is this normal?
2013-05-29 6:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Chris- that is really scary. Glad you know what to do and watch for!!! Hope your foot is feeling better soon. Rest it!!
2013-05-29 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I hope Cindy gets on board!! Looks like a great year!
2013-05-29 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Jen. How long did it take yours to rebound from his concussion?

With the rest from running...leaves more time to focus on swim (yeah!!) and bike.

2013-05-29 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

With the rest from running...leaves more time to focus on swim (yeah!!) and bike.

Frederick was able to resume activities the following week (soccer). He did have to visit his physician twice, and he did exams. Cognitive and motor functions were normal. He's only 3. We really had to watch him carefully. He is my accident prone child. We made 3 trips to the ER with him this year alone. He drove his ride on Mater car down our basement stairs, yelling "whee!" See what I'm dealing with here???

I'm sure Kelly is going to have you aqua running in no time....ew! Haha! Spent the better part of last spring doing that because of a tibial fracture.
2013-05-29 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by jarvy01

Frederick was able to resume activities the following week (soccer). He did have to visit his physician twice, and he did exams. Cognitive and motor functions were normal. He's only 3. We really had to watch him carefully. He is my accident prone child. We made 3 trips to the ER with him this year alone. He drove his ride on Mater car down our basement stairs, yelling "whee!" See what I'm dealing with here???

I'm sure Kelly is going to have you aqua running in no time....ew! Haha! Spent the better part of last spring doing that because of a tibial fracture.

Chris that's crazy. Reagan has had a concussion once. Very minor and that was very scary.

Aqua running. Something I've managed to avoid to this point in my triathlon journey. Hope to keep it that way.
2013-05-29 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Started tracking calories again yesterday. Body feels good. Need to work off some of this fat and focus on bringing up my core strength.
2013-05-29 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Funny, aqua running was mentioned.

Jen, gotta say I am laughing at the thought/vision of your three year old going down the stairs....Wheee. Hope that's not a harbinger of things to come.
2013-05-29 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks too Scott and Michele. For a brief moment it was scary because my first thought was poison or something unknown because she had been playing for a while after it happened and neither she nor Elsa came to me with any concerns/complaints. But then after a brief check, I knew.

2013-05-29 8:34 AM

User image

New user

Montgomery County
I could go on forever about my gear wish list, but first things first, I need some tri shorts and a bike shirt so I don't look like a fool.

I had quite an interesting weekend. I was at the beach with a few friends and wanted to get in a swim workout. She had a pool in the neighborhood and it definitely had not been cleaned in months and the water was extremely acidic somehow. But I was determined, so I swam about 700m and then got out to prevent death or serious illness. It was also an outdoor pool and it was windy in the high 50s, so I was happy to get out.

The following two days I did 45min runs on the beach and I felt great! However, my calves have never been this sore. Running on the beach barefoot is taxing.
2013-05-29 10:30 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

I am sorry about trips to ER.... I'm glad all is ok. Jenn your boy sounds like a character!
2013-05-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Originally posted by collyd123

I could go on forever about my gear wish list, but first things first, I need some tri shorts and a bike shirt so I don't look like a fool.

I had quite an interesting weekend. I was at the beach with a few friends and wanted to get in a swim workout. She had a pool in the neighborhood and it definitely had not been cleaned in months and the water was extremely acidic somehow. But I was determined, so I swam about 700m and then got out to prevent death or serious illness. It was also an outdoor pool and it was windy in the high 50s, so I was happy to get out.

The following two days I did 45min runs on the beach and I felt great! However, my calves have never been this sore. Running on the beach barefoot is taxing.

Ha! I have been doing this awhile and still have not invested in a lot of bike gear... i look real scrappy and get funny looks from those real hard core biker dudes I see where I bike.
2013-05-29 10:37 AM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

didn't get a lot of sleep last night because I was at work. 8.6 mile run... felt such a strong urge to just lie down on park bench
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86