BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2125991

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
tahrens - 2009-05-02 7:44 PM I AM A HALF IRONWOMAN!   Take the half iron and mix it with all the sweat and water and I guess that makes me a Rusty Woman!  For Rob I am half iron half sugar.

Sorry guys I didn't meet the time goal, in fact I went WAY over.  I really am not a strong runner and it showed today.  After 7 miles and 6 hours my body had had enough.  Total time was 7:20 by my watch.   Everything but the second half of the run went very well.  Swim was 52 minutes and considering I have a slight black eye from getting nailed in the eye in the last 500 yds, I'm cool with that.  T1 went very smooth and I think it was in the 5 minute mark, depending on where the timing mat was. It was a very long way from the lake to transition.  I KILLED IT ON THE BIKE!!!  Averaged 16.7 mph baby and that with a head wind and swirling gusts for 40 miles. It is a completely flat course which means you NEVER stop pedaling. Basically it was a 3 hour trainer ride with a head wind.  T2 was very quick and I felt really strong for the first 4 miles of the run, okay for the next 3, and then really struggled bringing it in.  Did a lot of walking and there wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't hurt!  I tried to run a part of every mile after mile 7 and did manage to run in the last 1/2 mile.  I shed some tears at mile 11 when I saw my watch tick past the 7 hour mark.  It was/is very mixed emotions.  I am slightly embarrassed at my time, yet I couldn't be prouder of my effort.  I now know what it means to truly leave it all out on the course, both physically and emotionally!   My take home message from this is I still have a long way to go with my running, but I've come a long way too. When I started I couldn't run 1/2 a mile.  My husband was crying more than me as I RAN accross that finish line!   I am very proud of myself!   Besides, I really did kick butt on the bike!

I'll post my race report and pictures tomorrow.  Now I am going to get some diaper rash ointment (7 hours with a wet weggie is not cool) and ice my feet!

Neither could I.  You are AWESOME! F'in A Tracy

2009-05-02 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Need help guys.  I changed a tire tonight (first time).
I got the tire off ok.  And got the tube on.  Now here is my confusion.....I have heard to inflate the tube some to help hold shape and also help avoid pinching the tube.  I wanted to pretend I was out biking and not at home so I used a CO2cartridge rather than my pump.  I inflated the tube a little, got the tire on, and then was going to use the rest of the CO2 cartridge to get the tire pumped up fully .  Nope nothing left.  Does it take two CO2's when you change a tire?  How much pressure does one cartridge give you?   Any tips, advice, etc I appreciate.

2009-05-02 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
great job Tracy!  truly impressive, especially considering what you went through the last few weeks..  Most people probably wouldn't have raced yet alone finished in 7hrs!
2009-05-02 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-05-02 7:44 PM I AM A HALF IRONWOMAN!   Take the half iron and mix it with all the sweat and water and I guess that makes me a Rusty Woman!  For Rob I am half iron half sugar.

Sorry guys I didn't meet the time goal, in fact I went WAY over.  I really am not a strong runner and it showed today.  After 7 miles and 6 hours my body had had enough.  Total time was 7:20 by my watch.   Everything but the second half of the run went very well.  Swim was 52 minutes and considering I have a slight black eye from getting nailed in the eye in the last 500 yds, I'm cool with that.  T1 went very smooth and I think it was in the 5 minute mark, depending on where the timing mat was. It was a very long way from the lake to transition.  I KILLED IT ON THE BIKE!!!  Averaged 16.7 mph baby and that with a head wind and swirling gusts for 40 miles. It is a completely flat course which means you NEVER stop pedaling. Basically it was a 3 hour trainer ride with a head wind.  T2 was very quick and I felt really strong for the first 4 miles of the run, okay for the next 3, and then really struggled bringing it in.  Did a lot of walking and there wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't hurt!  I tried to run a part of every mile after mile 7 and did manage to run in the last 1/2 mile.  I shed some tears at mile 11 when I saw my watch tick past the 7 hour mark.  It was/is very mixed emotions.  I am slightly embarrassed at my time, yet I couldn't be prouder of my effort.  I now know what it means to truly leave it all out   on the course, both physically and emotionally!   My take home message from this is I still have a long way to go with my running, but I've come a long way too. When I started I couldn't run 1/2 a mile.  My husband was crying more than me as I RAN accross that finish line!   I am very proud of myself!   Besides, I really did kick butt on the bike!

I'll post my race report and pictures tomorrow.  Now I am going to get some diaper rash ointment (7 hours with a wet weggie is not cool) and ice my feet!

Cheeleader Jump Me cheering for you!

Embarrased? Are you kidding me?  You finished, you had a good swim and a great bike all after being sick and having a bike accident.  Don't you ever apologize.  You are my hero.  You have given me a renewed interest to get my own act together for my HIM in September.  Rest up.  Job well done.

Suzy

2009-05-02 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2125413

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-02 10:02 AM Jeremy is on the cover of "Men's Health".  I'm on the cover "Beer Drinkin' Slobs".  Only threw back a sixer last night and ran a 5k PR this morning!  Thanks for all the feedback gang.  I knew I could count on you!!!!

24m 24s3.10 miles07m 52s/Mi

I tossed the watch and just ran.  If felt great.  I'll get to 23!  Awesome to go w/ another BT'er too.

You crack me up.  This effort is more than solid!  We need to hold hands and not make fun of ourselves when we don't hit the exact goal we wanted.  I dont know any fat beer drinking slobs that could run a sub-8 minute 5K! Congrats! 

Suzy
2009-05-02 9:07 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-05-02 6:44 PM I AM A HALF IRONWOMAN!   Take the half iron and mix it with all the sweat and water and I guess that makes me a Rusty Woman!  For Rob I am half iron half sugar.

Sorry guys I didn't meet the time goal, in fact I went WAY over.  I really am not a strong runner and it showed today.  After 7 miles and 6 hours my body had had enough.  Total time was 7:20 by my watch.   Everything but the second half of the run went very well.  Swim was 52 minutes and considering I have a slight black eye from getting nailed in the eye in the last 500 yds, I'm cool with that.  T1 went very smooth and I think it was in the 5 minute mark, depending on where the timing mat was. It was a very long way from the lake to transition.  I KILLED IT ON THE BIKE!!!  Averaged 16.7 mph baby and that with a head wind and swirling gusts for 40 miles. It is a completely flat course which means you NEVER stop pedaling. Basically it was a 3 hour trainer ride with a head wind.  T2 was very quick and I felt really strong for the first 4 miles of the run, okay for the next 3, and then really struggled bringing it in.  Did a lot of walking and there wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't hurt!  I tried to run a part of every mile after mile 7 and did manage to run in the last 1/2 mile.  I shed some tears at mile 11 when I saw my watch tick past the 7 hour mark.  It was/is very mixed emotions.  I am slightly embarrassed at my time, yet I couldn't be prouder of my effort.  I now know what it means to truly leave it all out on the course, both physically and emotionally!   My take home message from this is I still have a long way to go with my running, but I've come a long way too. When I started I couldn't run 1/2 a mile.  My husband was crying more than me as I RAN accross that finish line!   I am very proud of myself!   Besides, I really did kick butt on the bike!

Awesome,awesome Tracy....7:20 and you are embarrassed? Shake that head!! That is unbelievable. There are alot of us on this forum that would love to have enough in us to ATTEMPT a 1/2. Like the point Steve tried to make earlier in the week, you completed something that less than 1% of the world has even done. That is friggin' amazing!! Can't wait to read the report, with some sweet pics. If you need some diaper rash cream, I have a bunch here.

2009-05-02 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2126058

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-05-02 7:52 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-02 10:02 AM Jeremy is on the cover of "Men's Health".  I'm on the cover "Beer Drinkin' Slobs".  Only threw back a sixer last night and ran a 5k PR this morning!  Thanks for all the feedback gang.  I knew I could count on you!!!!

I tossed the watch and just ran.  If felt great.  I'll get to 23!  Awesome to go w/ another BT'er too.

You crack me up.  This effort is more than solid!  We need to hold hands and not make fun of ourselves when we don't hit the exact goal we wanted.  I dont know any fat beer drinking slobs that could run a sub-8 minute 5K! Congrats! 

Suzy
Agreed!!! Its a PR and thats all that matters.  And Suzy, I'm in for the holding hands part.Tongue out
Have a good night all.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-05-02 9:12 PM
2009-05-02 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Absolutely fantastic Tracy! I can only hope to do as well in June, actually I'd be happy just to make it before the cut off.  You did an awesome job out there today! YOU ROCK!!!!!  Can't wait to read the race report!
2009-05-02 10:39 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congrats on the 5k PR John! Way to go!!!
2009-05-02 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Nice job on the 5k Jeremy! Sub 21 is still incredible!!!

2009-05-02 11:32 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Tracy, I am so super happy for you and proud of you!!! You did a great job and you should be proud of your accomplishments.  I think I would have been crying with your hubby at the finish line too!  You have nothing at all to be embarrassed about, you are a Half Iron Man and you are my hero  Rest your weary bones and bask in the glow of an incredible achievement!  Awesome swim time and bike, woo hoo!!!!  40 mile gusts with headwinds?  That takes a ton of mental toughness and I'll bet lots of people's runs were affected by the winds on the bike.  You did great!

2009-05-03 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2126018

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Havin'Fun - 2009-05-02 9:03 PM Need help guys.  I changed a tire tonight (first time).
I got the tire off ok.  And got the tube on.  Now here is my confusion.....I have heard to inflate the tube some to help hold shape and also help avoid pinching the tube.  I wanted to pretend I was out biking and not at home so I used a CO2cartridge rather than my pump.  I inflated the tube a little, got the tire on, and then was going to use the rest of the CO2 cartridge to get the tire pumped up fully .  Nope nothing left.  Does it take two CO2's when you change a tire?  How much pressure does one cartridge give you?   Any tips, advice, etc I appreciate.

There are new pumps out there that allow you to control the flow out of a CO2 cartridge.  Actually they aren't pumps, more like valves.  They look like the adapter that you use to connect the  cartidge to the tire, but they have a turn valve to control the air flow.  Also they come with a "cartidge condom" to insulate your hands from the freezing cartidge.  They have them at Cycling Spoken Here.  I think I bought their last one but I know they are ordering more. Just go to the Cary shop and ask Marcy (the store manager) about them.  You can reference my name b/c we were talking about them this week and she'll know exactly what you are talking about. If they don't have any in stock she'll order you one.  $20 bucks.  Good stuff.
2009-05-03 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-05-02 8:03 PM Need help guys.  I changed a tire tonight (first time).

Got this link in my email this morning and thought you would find it helpful.  Coach Troy basically blows a little air into the tire himself and saves the cartridge for the full fill.

I have yet to successfully change a tire.  Can never get the dang tire off the rim!  I guess I better getting practicing.

Suzy
2009-05-03 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-05-02 8:44 PM I AM A HALF IRONWOMAN!   Take the half iron and mix it with all the sweat and water and I guess that makes me a Rusty Woman!  For Rob I am half iron half sugar.

Tracy,you make me want to shed a tear. Weare all so incredibly proud of you. You are aboslutely awesome. There should be no embarassement at all with your time. You have done what so many other people either cannot or will not do. You are all Ironwoman to me Sugar

2009-05-03 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Havin'Fun - 2009-05-02 9:03 PM Need help guys.  I changed a tire tonight (first time).

Can't help you there Linda. I have a mini pump attached to my bike and fortunatley have not had to use it yet. Having said that I will probably get a flat the next time out.

2009-05-03 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
tahrens - 2009-05-02 8:44 PM I AM A HALF IRONWOMAN!   Take the half iron and mix it with all the sweat and water and I guess that makes me a Rusty Woman!  For Rob I am half iron half sugar.

Congratulations Tracy!  Certainly no need to be embarrassed!  You kicked butt!  As others have said, you completed something that:  #1 No one can take away from you.  #2  99% of the world would not even attempt.  The time may not have been what you had hoped for, but the sickness earlier in the week did not help.  I will say one thing and that is I am completely jealous of you.  Although I've only been competing since last year I can't say that I've "left it all on the course".  I've pushed hard, but can't say I have gone that far.  I complement you on your effort and determination.  I hope that I can say the same on Sept. 28, the day after I complete my first HIM.  Again, great job!  I look forward to reading your full RR.

2009-05-03 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Thanks for all the wonderful support and comments. You guys rock!  I thought of this group several time throughout the day.  I posted my photos from the race in my photo album.  Hopefully this link will work, otherwise it is my White Lake album on my log page.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12009

And great job to you runners this weekend.  I'm bringing you guys with me next time and we'll just put a sports bra on you.  No one will know the difference Wink
2009-05-03 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2126437

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-05-03 10:20 AM Thanks for all the wonderful support and comments. You guys rock!  I thought of this group several time throughout the day.  I posted my photos from the race in my photo album.  Hopefully this link will work, otherwise it is my White Lake album on my log page.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12009

And great job to you runners this weekend.  I'm bringing you guys with me next time and we'll just put a sports bra on you.  No one will know the difference Wink

WTF?  Why are you making fun of my man-boobs?  Wink
2009-05-03 11:27 AM

User image

Tracy - great pics.  Hope you are feeling good today....but still smiling knowing what you accomplished yesterday!

Suzy - great video.  Saw two things that I "thought" I did right....nope, now I know how to do them better.  Also helped answer my questions.  Thanks!

2009-05-03 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2126437

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-05-03 9:20 AM Thanks for all the wonderful support and comments. You guys rock!  I thought of this group several time throughout the day.  I posted my photos from the race in my photo album.  Hopefully this link will work, otherwise it is my White Lake album on my log page.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12009

Nice work #262!! You are a total studette. I like the "suck in the gut" picture. You look you were having a blast, smiling in every pic. Relax and enjoy today!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-05-03 11:56 AM
2009-05-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2126072

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-02 9:11 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-05-02 7:52 PM

Suzy
Agreed!!! Its a PR and thats all that matters.  And Suzy, I'm in for the holding hands part.Tongue out
Have a good night all.

Treveor--Really?  I might take you up on that!  My husband won't hold my hand in public! I'm deprived!!!!

Tracy--how is our favorite little miss HIm'er doing? 

So today is my last day as a solo flyer.  I start working with my new coach, Steve tomorrow. I am making the most of it and doing everything I can today-a little run, a little bike and later a little swim, knowing tomorrow that won't be the case.   In fact, I am actually going to enjoy my first day with Steve, resting. Go figure!

2009-05-03 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2125233

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
trying1 - 2009-05-02 5:09 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-05-01 2:25 PM

Good luck racers!  Would you promise to post at least a couple of words about your stellar performance over the weekend? Some of us are living vicariously through your experiences!

Steve, Tony, et al, can you stand another CT question?  What is calibration? and why am I doing it?  The little machine says it is at 2:00, but for an upcoming TT for my new coach, he said ideally it should be between 2.5-3.0.  What the heck?

I could use every last one of you thinking good thoughts about my swimming progress this weekend (hell, how about all year?).  I am taking a big step backwards to fix the ongoing flaws identified in my underwater video. Basically, my workouts are 80% drills and 20% translation into actual swimming.  First flaw I am working on is FQS, my extended arm tends to drop too soon which puts me off balance.  I can do the catch up using B2, but flail around using B3 and translating it into the actual stroke is awful.  What kind of things did you think about when taking a drill to actual swimming?or did it just come naturally?

Suzy

during my lessons when we work on new drills, I'm pretty bad at them and all I think about is "it will help me in the long run."  When I swim by myself I work on the drill and on endurance and still think "it will help me in the long run."  Since I've been taking lessons my times are slower compared to last month but I'm still thinking the same thing and also that the new technique will help with the OWS and my endurance.  BTW I thing a lot of people drop their arm to soon in their pull.  That's why my new coach and from i remember Tony's coach recommended similar strokes.  The one similar to the catch-up drill.

Suzy did you post your underwater video?  I remember our conversation earlier about the similar stroke to catch up and that is what I have been working on.  Check this video out and tell me if this is what you guys are trying to simulate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&feature=related

I have been working on this "type" of stroke, and feel like I have gotten pretty efficient at it.  I have been at the lake the last couple of weekends and this type of stroke seems to really work well.  Had a couple days of OWS and I finally feel like I am really GETTING IT.  I have heard people talk about having this perpetual motion thing going, and at the end of my swim yesterday, it just happened...it was like WOW.  I got in the water today and swam about 2000 yards, and was able to really keep it aerobic ...first time ever.  Starting to like this swimming thing!
2009-05-03 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I am inspired!  Proud of your efforts.  Alot of time and work went into pulling tose 70 miles off.  I know you may be dissappointed in your time a little, and that is because you have gotten COMPETITIVE.  That is a good thing.  When I made the commitment in Oct. to do a HIM, I couldn't run a mile either.  I just wanted to FINISH a HIM.  That in itself is a lofty goal for anyone.  Now, like you, I want to have a good time.  Running is going to be my limiter also, so better get on with it.  Congrats on finishing.
2009-05-03 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey Barry. It looks like we have a pretty tough act  to follow in our HIM's in the fall.  Firsta Savagewoman now she's an Ironwoman. That Tracy is something else

2009-05-03 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hey guys, I'm on UTube!  Someone I know from BT was at the race and videotaped my T2!   Watch the dork run the wrong way!!!!!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnuszQ1PBg
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383