BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2547741

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!

BEVO88 - 2009-12-08 10:10 AM gotta love the military, they told me there are only 2 chiropractors seeing the whole air force, my tri care wont even let me get an off base referrel to see a doc somewhere else, im just going to take it easy on the training plan and not push to hard, it doesnt hurt it just is bothersome, especially during the bike rides, its starting to frustrate me to the point to where i dont feel like its worth training till the end of Jan....not going to happen, going to train through, have been through worse, ahhh just needed to vent...sorry

You might try working on your core a bit if your lower back is the thing bothering you. I was having some issues last spring with getting a sore back and once I upped my core trainnig I didn't have any more problems. Just increase what ever you are doing very slowly.

2009-12-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2548041

User image

BEVO88 - 2009-12-08 11:54 AM Reuben, we can play what ifs all day but that fact remains....a win is a win no matter how you look at it...lol....you know Texas will bring their A game against Bama. Texas Fight

Not to pick on you, but I'm not a big Texas fan either.  You've had some lucky breaks over the years. ...some questionable, some lucky.
2009-12-08 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2548348

User image

New user

lol, am i the only Texas fan in here? Well what can you? Now if i can only get my bike painted burnt orange. Did you say you were a Kansas Jayhawker? if so they are looking for another coach, cause the old one poked his finger in a players chest and said bad words to them...are you kidding me
2009-12-08 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
marietta
texas sucks.   end of story.

edit.  busy day over here.  what is this work stuff?

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-08 12:51 PM
2009-12-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2548364

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

BEVO88 - 2009-12-08 12:35 PM lol, am i the only Texas fan in here? Well what can you? Now if i can only get my bike painted burnt orange. Did you say you were a Kansas Jayhawker? if so they are looking for another coach, cause the old one poked his finger in a players chest and said bad words to them...are you kidding me

Oklahoma State Cowboys for me...  I have learned not to let my emotional well-being ride on the performance of the teams - other wise I would be like Sybil....

2009-12-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2547873

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kickitinok - 2009-12-08 10:00 AM Hi - I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I came here in hopes of finding a mentor as I was told that December was the month to do so on this site. Is this group still open? I've notice most are "Closed" or "Full". I'm training for my first tri in June 2010 and could use a lot of help, support, info, and encouragement. kicitinok

Hey Trina, where are you from? 

2009-12-08 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey Kim.... I just read your race report. What a studette. congratulations on the race. Coming from the north country you would think i wouldn't mind the cold so much but i really really dislike it for the most part. ( kind of hard to toboggan on grass).

i guess the old adage is true.

You're not getting older your getting better

2009-12-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2548364

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
BEVO88 - 2009-12-08 1:35 PM lol, am i the only Texas fan in here? Well what can you? Now if i can only get my bike painted burnt orange. Did you say you were a Kansas Jayhawker? if so they are looking for another coach, cause the old one poked his finger in a players chest and said bad words to them...are you kidding me

Yhea there are allegations of abusive behavior surrounding him. Don't quite know what to think about him resigning, especially when his contract went until 2012. It is never a good sign when someone resigns under an investigation into player treatment and risk management.  It is a fine line between physical/verbal abuse and teaching toughness.  It was nice to see the team winning for a time.  There were some jealousy issues between the football and basketball players, with a few fights breaking out on campus – allegedly over a girl…….hum.

2009-12-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2548473

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-12-08 2:07 PM
BEVO88 - 2009-12-08 1:35 PM lol, am i the only Texas fan in here? Well what can you? Now if i can only get my bike painted burnt orange. Did you say you were a Kansas Jayhawker? if so they are looking for another coach, cause the old one poked his finger in a players chest and said bad words to them...are you kidding me

Yhea there are allegations of abusive behavior surrounding him. Don't quite know what to think about him resigning, especially when his contract went until 2012. It is never a good sign when someone resigns under an investigation into player treatment and risk management.  It is a fine line between physical/verbal abuse and teaching toughness.  It was nice to see the team winning for a time.  There were some jealousy issues between the football and basketball players, with a few fights breaking out on campus – allegedly over a girl…….hum.

Tracy have you been sneaking on campus again

2009-12-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2548141

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-12-08 12:16 PM Tony:

I sold one of those earlier this year. One thing to be acreful of is that not all pumps can fit over the valve stem in the opening that is provided. The shallower the pump head the better.

Good luck.

Doug

Yeah I have a crack pipe for my wheelcover so can use that.  Also looking for smaller pump they have been talked about lately over on ST as an alternative to the crack pipe. 
2009-12-08 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2548091

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-12-08 12:06 PM So I picked this up the other day. should be here by friday.  Will take a new bike pick when I get it installed.

oooooh dimpled carbon.   pretty Tongue out  Some one must have been a VERY GOOD BOY this year.  Sam?  Where is the pink Planet X?

2009-12-08 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2548477

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Redknight - 2009-12-08 2:08 PM

tahrens - 2009-12-08 2:07 PM

Tracy have you been sneaking on campus again

Once a cheerleader always a cheerleader
2009-12-08 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Andy

I calibrate every time, but only for 10 minutes. The directions I gave you actually came from their site. If you do not calibrate everytime you are not getting a true measure of your output.  How much it matters I have no idea....but I can tell you it is easier to ride at 2.0 (default) than 2.99 due to press on force. 

Suzy
2009-12-08 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2548662

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-12-08 1:57 PM Andy

I calibrate every time, but only for 10 minutes. The directions I gave you actually came from their site. If you do not calibrate everytime you are not getting a true measure of your output.  How much it matters I have no idea....but I can tell you it is easier to ride at 2.0 (default) than 2.99 due to press on force. 

Suzy

Gotcha - I did spin it up and punch the button, but did not give the tire a good chance to warm up first.  I will have to make sure that I do that after the first 10' of Jorge's warm-ups...  Going to try to get ta 20 min power test in tonight...  Not real sure where I am going to end up power wise - but I am willing to guess the power to weight ratio is going to be on the low side...

Suzy (and others) - what do you think about the pedalling efficiency question?   Could a more circular pedal stroke result in higher speed at the same power output?

2009-12-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2548895

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-12-08 3:34 PM

Suzy

Gotcha - I did spin it up and punch the button, but did not give the tire a good chance to warm up first.  I will have to make sure that I do that after the first 10' of Jorge's warm-ups...  Going to try to get ta 20 min power test in tonight...  Not real sure where I am going to end up power wise - but I am willing to guess the power to weight ratio is going to be on the low side...

Suzy (and others) - what do you think about the pedalling efficiency question?   Could a more circular pedal stroke result in higher speed at the same power output?

I ask coach Steve tons of questions about pedaling efficiency.  Do you use spinscan?  That is the best way to get a sense of your pedaling efficiency.  I use the circle data, not the bars.  SJ told me to aim for > 75 for the left and right leg and 90-95 ATA (or lower).  Also wants a 50% distribution between the right and left leg which rarely happens.  When I am working on pedaling efficiency, I dont spend a lot of time monitoring my watts so I am not sure I can answer your question.  I would not think a more efficient pedaling technique would cause your Watts to drop? Tony? Doug? Birdy?
2009-12-08 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
All of this CT talk.  I really need to get my software loaded then perhaps I can join in the conversation

Oh, wait, I am in the 2nd day of my 14 day off season...heading back to the couch. 

2009-12-08 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Go Texas!

I am a tru BAMA HATER...so anyone playing Bama gets my full support and undevided loyalty.  (any good Auburn fan would feel the same way)

Nice wheel Tony.  I am sure you will look fast  ( I mean BE fast)  sorry for the slip there

Went to All 3 sports in Atlanta today to take a look at those Newton shoes.  I am wondering if my ITB issues may be caused from some bad form.  Been reading up on the Newtons and the forefoot striking style of running.  Tried it a couple days ago for a couple miles with my regular shoes, and damm my calves are sore.  Thinking that landing more on the forefoot might reduce some of the motion of the ITB.  Anybody got any thoughts on the Newtons?
2009-12-08 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2548982

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-12-08 4:59 PM

Suzy

I ask coach Steve tons of questions about pedaling efficiency.  Do you use spinscan?  That is the best way to get a sense of your pedaling efficiency.  I use the circle data, not the bars.  SJ told me to aim for > 75 for the left and right leg and 90-95 ATA (or lower).  Also wants a 50% distribution between the right and left leg which rarely happens.  When I am working on pedaling efficiency, I dont spend a lot of time monitoring my watts so I am not sure I can answer your question.  I would not think a more efficient pedaling technique would cause your Watts to drop? Tony? Doug? Birdy?

Good question. Not a CT specific question but to explain what we are talking about, the CT has a program that shows you how much work each leg does, i.e. one leg could be doing 60% of the work and the other only 40%.  It will also show you "dead spots" in your pedal stroke where one leg at that point is doing little to no work.

So if your legs are doing equal work and there are no dead spots in your pedal stroke would you generate more power doing the same amount of work?  I'll read up on it tonight. one of those things I should know but the answer is escaping me at the moment.
2009-12-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2549091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-08 5:44 PMGo Texas!

I am a tru BAMA HATER...so anyone playing Bama gets my full support and undevided loyalty.  (any good Auburn fan would feel the same way)

Nice wheel Tony.  I am sure you will look fast  ( I mean BE fast)  sorry for the slip there

Went to All 3 sports in Atlanta today to take a look at those Newton shoes.  I am wondering if my ITB issues may be caused from some bad form.  Been reading up on the Newtons and the forefoot striking style of running.  Tried it a couple days ago for a couple miles with my regular shoes, and damm my calves are sore.  Thinking that landing more on the forefoot might reduce some of the motion of the ITB.  Anybody got any thoughts on the Newtons?
no thoughts on the newtons but have you checked out the book chi running? I just started reading it and many of my tri friends swear by this book. It talks about proper posture to lower the impact on your legs and techniques for forefoot running. My friend who also had tons of leg problems said after learning the proper technique from this book his leg problems and lower back problems have gone away. Plus he's increased his endurance 2 fold in less than 2 months.
2009-12-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2548982

User image

Champion

Suzy

Been doing a lot of reading on this over on ST.  Seems to be up in the air really if there is such a thing as pedaling efficiency.    Basically just pedal and focus on being able to put out more watts.  Your bike fit goes a long way to this.

I have heard different theories on pedal stroke.  A seminar I went to given by a local pro talked about pedaling in a triangle, down and out, back, and up and in as the way to go.  Others say pedal in a circle, some say you can't really pedal in a circle (I think they are talking about it is physically impossible to put force throughout the stroke, so think of it more in the triangle way)

One way to make your watts drop but ride at the same speed is to increase your cadence.  You need to find the right spot for you.  I have gotten in a bad habbit that I need to get rid of where when riding a TT I drop watts and my RPM goes into the 100's.  This doesn't seem to be good to me, seems like I should be pushing out a bit more watts and not as high RPM's but I have started using it as a crutch.

I know geeky stuff, but I read a lot and sometimes I just take the info I read as gospel, but when you get into really looking at it, most stuff is not univerally agreed on and everyone makes good points.  I suppose for many things work on fitness first and don't worry nearly about the technique as much.  

I had this when I started working with Lowell, who was Suzy's running coach.  One of the first things I asked him about was running technique, I was pretty sure mine sucked.  He said there really is no best running technique, everyone is different.  There are some things you shouldn't do i.e. cross over, under/over stride but that is about it.  Everyone does it differently for what works for them.  Which is similar to when I heard you must run on your forefoot.  Saw a lot of folks talking about that but did a lot of research on it and again when really looking into it, the majority of the "experts" out there said that trying to switch from one foot style to another will just end up causing you injuries.

2009-12-08 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2549329

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-12-08 7:51 PM

Suzy

Been doing a lot of reading on this over on ST.  Seems to be up in the air really if there is such a thing as pedaling efficiency.    Basically just pedal and focus on being able to put out more watts.  Your bike fit goes a long way to this.

I have heard different theories on pedal stroke.  A seminar I went to given by a local pro talked about pedaling in a triangle, down and out, back, and up and in as the way to go.  Others say pedal in a circle, some say you can't really pedal in a circle (I think they are talking about it is physically impossible to put force throughout the stroke, so think of it more in the triangle way)

One way to make your watts drop but ride at the same speed is to increase your cadence.  You need to find the right spot for you.  I have gotten in a bad habbit that I need to get rid of where when riding a TT I drop watts and my RPM goes into the 100's.  This doesn't seem to be good to me, seems like I should be pushing out a bit more watts and not as high RPM's but I have started using it as a crutch.

I know geeky stuff, but I read a lot and sometimes I just take the info I read as gospel, but when you get into really looking at it, most stuff is not univerally agreed on and everyone makes good points.  I suppose for many things work on fitness first and don't worry nearly about the technique as much.  

I had this when I started working with Lowell, who was Suzy's running coach.  One of the first things I asked him about was running technique, I was pretty sure mine sucked.  He said there really is no best running technique, everyone is different.  There are some things you shouldn't do i.e. cross over, under/over stride but that is about it.  Everyone does it differently for what works for them.  Which is similar to when I heard you must run on your forefoot.  Saw a lot of folks talking about that but did a lot of research on it and again when really looking into it, the majority of the "experts" out there said that trying to switch from one foot style to another will just end up causing you injuries.

I agree with Tony.  I think you can really get caught up in spinscan at the expense of the goal of the ride.  Steve's favorite phrase to me when I start going overboard on technique "You aren't going to DNF if you can get a perfect circle on your spinscan Suzy".....that snaps me back into the mindset that it is one piece of a very large pie.

My favorite CT rides are the MultiRider files I do a couple times a week which are LT and VO2 focused.   Can't even look at spinscan while doing them.  Here my whole goal is maintaining between 18-20mph and a steady cadence regardless of the Watts I am pushing.  For me that is around 93-97 and it feels pretty normal and close to what I do outside.

What are others favorite CT rides?

PS. Tony I would be interested in hearing how you feel about your running technique when you spend time with your new coach.  I think there is a benefit to have a local coach that can watch you run and provide feedback.  Lowell never saw me run until my first Boston so form never became a topic.  The only time it is ever an issue for me is when I am injured, like now.  Then I get a lot of feedback from a PT on tweaks, muscle imbalances et al.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-08 8:40 PM

2009-12-08 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2549415

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-12-08 8:38 PM

Suzy

I agree with Tony.  I think you can really get caught up in spinscan at the expense of the goal of the ride.  Steve's favorite phrase to me when I start going overboard on technique "You aren't going to DNF if you can get a perfect circle on your spinscan Suzy".....that snaps me back into the mindset that it is one piece of a very large pie.

My favorite CT rides are the MultiRider files I do a couple times a week which are LT and VO2 focused.   Can't even look at spinscan while doing them.  Here my whole goal is maintaining between 18-20mph and a steady cadence regardless of the Watts I am pushing.  For me that is around 93-97 and it feels pretty normal and close to what I do outside.

PS. Tony I would be interested in hearing how you feel about your running technique when you spend time with your new coach.  I think there is a benefit to have a local coach that can watch you run and provide feedback.  Lowell never saw me run until my first Boston so form never became a topic.  The only time it is ever an issue for me is when I am injured, like now.  Then I get a lot of feedback from a PT on tweaks, muscle imbalances et al.

I feel like I am a front side masher - pushing hard through the 1-5 o'clock positions alternately.  I can keep a decent cadence with this but get that side to side rocking motion a little.  With the same cadence and speed it felt like my pedal stroke changed (I had to mentally focus on it to get it and keep it that way) to feel more like 2-9 o'clock - wattage dropped.  It seemed like I had to put less physical effort into maintaining the speed and cadence - maybe it is a quirk of CT.  I am going to continue to play around to see if I can duplicate the results over a range of gearing and cadence...

2009-12-09 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
15.5 inches of snow so far....another 4 inches coming this morning. Blizzard conditions, below zero temperatures, highways closed, the plows are stuck....who wants to visit me now?
2009-12-09 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2549679

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-12-09 6:07 AM 15.5 inches of snow so far....another 4 inches coming this morning. Blizzard conditions, below zero temperatures, highways closed, the plows are stuck....who wants to visit me now?

I think you get "extra credit" if you go out for a ride right now...

2009-12-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2549480

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
ashort33 - 2009-12-08 9:17 PM

SSMinnow - 2009-12-08 8:38 PM

Suzy

I feel like I am a front side masher - pushing hard through the 1-5 o'clock positions alternately.  I can keep a decent cadence with this but get that side to side rocking motion a little.  With the same cadence and speed it felt like my pedal stroke changed (I had to mentally focus on it to get it and keep it that way) to feel more like 2-9 o'clock - wattage dropped.  It seemed like I had to put less physical effort into maintaining the speed and cadence - maybe it is a quirk of CT.  I am going to continue to play around to see if I can duplicate the results over a range of gearing and cadence...

I read something a year or so ago that really changed the way I thought about my pedal stroke, and I think about it now almost everytime I ride.  This article said to imagine your feet sliding back and forth...almost as if they are locked in a pair of skis on the snow and you are moving your feet just back and forth.  Almost like the rails connecting the wheels on a train.

When doing this, although the feet are going in circles, there is a feeling that they are not.  My thoughts on this is that by focusing on this lateral movement, you may be really filling in those dead spots on the top and bottom of the stroke, since we all probably have pretty good power on the up and down part. 

Can really feel it and the power when focusing on this goin up hills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383