BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Got crushed at work yesterday and never got to get a workout in. It'll have to count as a rest day. Ran a decent 8 miles today and completed an AbRipper X routine to start getting my core back in shape. I have a 1.5 hour ride scheduled for tomorrow if the weather holds up. I have another sprint Tri race a week from today so I'm getting psyched for that. Good luck with any racers tomorrow. For all those in the winter storm's path, be careful and plan ahead (water, blankets, batteries, ready to eat meals, etc).

2013-02-10 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Is there a doctor in the house? Stupid question one of which I think I know the answer to but here goes anyway.
Over the last few years I've noticed that I am extremely cold within 5-10 minutes of completing cycling and running workouts. I haven't noticed it as much with swimming. But I normally take a shower immediately after my swim workouts at the pool. The symptoms are year round regardless of the temperatures outside. I'm cold to the point that if I don't take a really hot bath/shower or change clothes immediately then I can't get warm again. Ideas? I have extremely low blood pressure and Raynauds. This is different than normal Raynauds symptoms. Ideas?

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-10 12:10 PM
2013-02-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4616364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Catwoman - 2013-02-10 10:07 AM Is there a doctor in the house? Stupid question one of which I think I know the answer to but here goes anyway. Over the last few years I've noticed that I am extremely cold within 5-10 minutes of completing cycling and running workouts. I haven't noticed it as much with swimming. But I normally take a shower immediately after my swim workouts at the pool. The symptoms are year round regardless of the temperatures outside. I'm cold to the point that if I don't take a really hot bath/shower or change clothes immediately then I can't get warm again. Ideas? I have extremely low blood pressure and Raynauds. This is different than normal Raynauds symptoms. Ideas?

Not sure if it is similar but after a rdie or run just my stomach is cold.  It's not like I can feel it internally but actually cold to the touch.  I just thought I was odd.

2013-02-10 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

After the last few days and yesterday in particular, I had to cut off the LBS ride short today.  We were close to the end and I jst didn't have any legs left.  I don't know if this contributed, but it was 25 degrees when I rolled out this morning!

Still, I managed to get in 25 miles at just over 18 mph si I will take it.  Everybody enjoy what's left of the weekend.

2013-02-10 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4616364

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Catwoman - 2013-02-10 1:07 PM

Is there a doctor in the house? Stupid question one of which I think I know the answer to but here goes anyway.
Over the last few years I've noticed that I am extremely cold within 5-10 minutes of completing cycling and running workouts. I haven't noticed it as much with swimming. But I normally take a shower immediately after my swim workouts at the pool. The symptoms are year round regardless of the temperatures outside. I'm cold to the point that if I don't take a really hot bath/shower or change clothes immediately then I can't get warm again. Ideas? I have extremely low blood pressure and Raynauds. This is different than normal Raynauds symptoms. Ideas?

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. My wife says next time she gets married it will be to an internist. She thinks that would be much more useful than an anesthesiologist. However, if you need your airway managed, I am your guy.
2013-02-10 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4616397

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuartap - 2013-02-10 2:04 PM

After the last few days and yesterday in particular, I had to cut off the LBS ride short today.  We were close to the end and I jst didn't have any legs left.  I don't know if this contributed, but it was 25 degrees when I rolled out this morning!

Still, I managed to get in 25 miles at just over 18 mph si I will take it.  Everybody enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Stuart, I can definitely empathize with you. My legs are pretty beat up. I am sure in a couple days they will be as recovered as they get and ready for the training load imposed on them, but right now, walking up the stairs feels like work.

2013-02-10 7:46 PM

User image

Master
This is the answer that seems to make the most sense:

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/fitness-coach/Why-Do-I-Get-Col...
2013-02-10 8:31 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, the end of another weekend. I'll have Tuesday off as Mardi Gras is still celebrated in Mobile and everything downtown and in most of the area is closed. 

Looks like swim and run on tap for me tomorrow.

2013-02-10 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Worked all weekend but managed to at least get 2 - 90 min bike sessions done.  Off to San Diego on Tuesday!  Will spend 5 days there, visiting my son and sight seeing!
2013-02-10 11:16 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
"Catwoman - 2013-02-10 1:07 PM Is there a doctor in the house? Stupid question one of which I think I know the answer to but here goes anyway. Over the last few years I've noticed that I am extremely cold within 5-10 minutes of completing cycling and running workouts. I haven't noticed it as much with swimming. But I normally take a shower immediately after my swim workouts at the pool. The symptoms are year round regardless of the temperatures outside. I'm cold to the point that if I don't take a really hot bath/shower or change clothes immediately then I can't get warm again. Ideas? I have extremely low blood pressure and Raynauds. This is different than normal Raynauds symptoms. Ideas?" - The link you provided is a pretty sound answer. Your body will continue to try to cool its core temp back to normal through perspiration and the rate in which one cools is dependent on the surface area, total mass, air temperature, humidity, body moisture, etc. You get the idea. Women will tend to cool quicker for the reasons described in he article. Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with you.

Edited by dacuna01 2013-02-10 11:22 PM
2013-02-10 11:20 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Got in a 90 min ride today. There were sustained winds between 25-30 mph. I felt like I was being blown off the rode. My ave pace dropped to just over 15mph. I wish I had a power meter because I'm sure I cranked out the watts on that ride. My legs are still sore tonight.

2013-02-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4616932

User image

Master
dacuna01 - 2013-02-. Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with you.

Lol.. That depends who you ask! Swim completed at local high school pool. Nice cold shower under the pressure washer jets and I'm ready to start the day. Hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-11 7:29 AM
2013-02-11 9:18 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

ok someone is seriously having a good laugh at my life right now.......I just got back from the vet.  My 11 year old Greyhound has torn her ACL.  This is while my husband is just 6 days out from his ACL surgery and recovering.  Not to mention, I'm supposed to be working 55 hours (minimum) a week because it's tax season and I'm home today because the blizzard we got on Saturday has left my office unplowed.  Also it's sleeting today and the highways are shut down.  

However, I still managed to get a good spin in this am - I mean what else am I going to do, right?

I'm just shell shocked....

2013-02-11 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Randee, 

So sorry to hear about your dog now that your husband is recovering! Keep up the good work though, you're doing great considering all the craziness going on around you!

I was able to pull myself from my bed this morning to get to the YMCA for Master's practice. I was a bad triathlete last week and skipped all of my swim workouts. (I told myself it was because I needed to sleep in since I was recovering from flu) No more excuses! I'm really glad I went today. I even got a compliment from one of the faster swimmers on how much I've improved!

1hr Z2 ride on the trainer tonight (rainy here) then I'm looking forward to my rest day tomorrow!

-Nate

2013-02-11 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4617243

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
mtnbikerchk - 2013-02-11 7:18 AM

ok someone is seriously having a good laugh at my life right now.......I just got back from the vet.  My 11 year old Greyhound has torn her ACL.  This is while my husband is just 6 days out from his ACL surgery and recovering.  Not to mention, I'm supposed to be working 55 hours (minimum) a week because it's tax season and I'm home today because the blizzard we got on Saturday has left my office unplowed.  Also it's sleeting today and the highways are shut down.  

However, I still managed to get a good spin in this am - I mean what else am I going to do, right?

I'm just shell shocked....

How about a tiny tiny tiny silver lining.  Your dog is an 11 y.o. greyhound.  We had a Queensland that had two ACL surgeries, one at age 3 and the other at age 5.  When she passed at 14 she still had more energy than our lab!  Her favorite thing to do was run for hours on end. Trying to keep her quiet while she was recovering was about as difficult a task as anything I ever went through with two kids...combined!  

There is a local Greyhound rescue that promotes the dogs as 45 MPH couch potatoes.  Don't know if that's true for your dog (hopefully yes) but Maggie was a nightmare patient after both surgeries.

2013-02-11 12:36 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-hope things smooth out on the homefront.

Tough swim workout done. The weather has been nasty here and the whole time I was doing my workout I was hoping the weather would close the pool. I liked the challenge/format of the workout but just didn't seem to have a very good feel/rhythm today. Easy run this evening...hopefully. Daughter has first HS soccer game of the season tonight so will be tough to get the run in. Given all of the rain we have had she might get cancelled.

Edit...just got text from wife that the game is cancelled....beats standing out in the rain

Edited by slornow 2013-02-11 12:38 PM

2013-02-11 2:46 PM

User image

Master

Hey, guys!

Randee: So sorry to hear about you husband and doggie's injuries.

My weekend ended on a great note even though I was, and am still stick. Had a very positive sprint race and went on a 1.5 hour MTB ride with some friends, a couple who are very strong MTBers. Got some great tips on bike handling, and they had my one friend, who is also doing XTERRA, and me going down a short, but super steep hill repeatedly. Really helped my confidence level. Only on crash this time and it wasn't down a huge hill, so I was happy.

They didn't break down the times for this race like that last one, but luckily I at least was able to time my bike and run. I really wanted to know how I did on the swim because it felt so much better than last year's.

Last year's time: 1:53:05 - (s) 0:24:59 (b) 0:52:46 (r) 0:35:20
This year's time: 1:38:55 - (s) ? (b) 43:44 (r) 31:43

Road bike instead of a mountain bike made a difference, for sure. I know I took my sweet time in T1 because a couple people came out of the water and took off on the bike after me. I was fiddling with my watch and my shoes were hard to put on while I was soggy.

I should do a race report, but I'm so lazy about that stuff, and I feel incomplete with a swim time. Oh, well! The thing I am definitely doing different on the 24th, the next sprints of this series, is DRINK FLUIDS! I usually slam some in transition, but I was so busy messing with the stupid watch I forgot. Totally felt it on the run. GRRR!

They announced that an Olympic distance is going to be offered before Xterra. That will be great since XTERRA is an Olympic distance. Good practice.

Anyhoo, bike at lunch and run tonight. Have a great evening!

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-11 2:48 PM
2013-02-11 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Randee, sorry to hear about your dog. How is your husband doing? 55 hour work week sounds horrible.

Randy- once again another nice swim.. jealous

Blanda, that is an amazing amount of time to take off from last year. You've really put in a lot of work over the last year. Congrats!

I'm tired today. Need to stop napping on the weekend.
2013-02-11 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Blanda great job! Keep up the good work.

I wasn't going to ride today after getting beat up over the past few days but my wife has been thinking about getting a bike.  So today she asked if I could adjust the seat on my mountain bike so she might ride it.  She picked up a gel foam saddle cover for comfort and I made the adjustments so she could at least be semi-comfortable riding it.

The I threw the bikes in the truck and we went over to a county park with a two mile kinda oval paved track.  Not too many people mid-day so she went around once, struggling on the back side hill a bit.  I went around twice and waited for her.  She had enough for the first outing but asked if I would mind bringing her out again later this week.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

As I was loading her bike in the truck she tells me she brought her license so why don't I ride home.  So I took off and took a nice moderate ride home.  All tolled it was 20.25 miles.

That brought my monthly total to 200.14 miles, half of my 400 mile goal for the month!  Now I have 17 days to log the other 200 and the weather is going to warm up all week with friday in the 70's.  What a great pickup from the way I felt yesterday.

2013-02-11 6:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-fantastic gains over last year. You have made huge progress over the last year. Keep it up!

Stuart-nice ride. Amazing how quickly the legs can bounce back and feel better with a nice ride. 400 is in the bag!  

2013-02-11 7:18 PM

User image

New user
Blanda, great job on your sprint! Those improvements are impressive! That has to feel good to see obvious improvements.

2013-02-11 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey all.  Drive-by posting from me.  Thanks to those who've checked in.  We've had a 'spot of bother', as the Brits say and unfortunately (with no offense intended to Randy!) it has come to involve lawyers.  Looks like things are going to go the right way (for the kids) though.  I've been training, but no time for logging and posting!
2013-02-11 7:40 PM

User image

Master

Thanks, guys! I knew it was going to be better during the swim. I was jostling with swimmers from beginning to end. Maybe not as many towards the end, but I wasn't alone by a mile this time.

The bike was a learning experience. I was messing with the gears  and kind of hanging back behind someone who looked like he had a plan. I was so eager to get off the bike I cranked it up the last mile. Big mistake. I couldn't feel my legs when I took off for the run!

Forgot to mention it was a 750m swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.

This gave me a boost in confidence. The Xterra failure is just hanging over my head right now. Every time I recall that day I end up in tears. I keep trying to visualize myself racing it strong and finishing strong, but then I remember the moment they took my number away, ugly crying in the car on the phone with my husband, then I'm in tears again! Oh, here I go... all "verklempt" again...

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-11 7:48 PM
2013-02-11 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Stuart- nice wife you have there! Make sure that she rides the mountain bike in cycling shorts/no undies..
Nothing worse than riding a bike in regular clothes.. I have a feeling you will pass that 400 mile goal for the month.

Blanda, Are you doing the same race that you had the problem with last time? Can you refresh my memory on what happened ? You've made so much progress over the last year. Unless something out of your control happens (mechanical, injury, hurricane) I seriously doubt you would be pulled from the race again. What would you tell your kids to do if they were in the same place?

Michael, glad to hear from you. Sorry the situation with the kids has come to this. Hopefully things will be taken care of soon so you can get on with your lives. I miss visiting Columbia. If Kathryn's back in the states we will be there in August for graduation.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-11 7:59 PM
2013-02-11 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Blanda-Congrats on the race time improvement, those are pretty huge gains!

Stuart-great job sticking with the biking goal, those are impressive numbers!

For me, today was my rest day. It's swim and run tomorrow for me. But, more importantly, it's a big day for me! I'll let this link explain it...Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66