BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by kr140.6

Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by uhcoog

Signed up for the Houston Marathon. 3:10 projected BQ cutoff. It's good to have goals right?

Being old has it's perk....I only need a 3:25.

1:45 bike and hour run for a brick today. I still really feel like that 9 days off in Disney has really affected me. I feel like if I had raced right as I was leaving for vacation I'd would have been 15-20 minutes faster for an HIM than I am now. Plus for the first time all year my ITBS has been acting up. Not bad but enough that I have to monitor it. I think it was from coming back and trying not to miss a beat volume wise. I'll never do this again. It'll either be family vacation or race not both. I'm debating if I should do REV3 Maine in August or instead do a Marathon or another HIM in October. That way I could completely recharge after Williamsburg. Anyway the goal for Williamsburg has been completely reset. I'll be happy just to PR at this point.

I am sure you will still kick it in your HIM!!!! I think we are all pretty addicted to all our activity and it would be really hard to take 9 days off so I really sympathize

Maybe part of it is psychological? There's no way you lost fitness that quickly. I think you were in a groove and now you feel that you lost it. You'll get it back. Just keep at it.

Maybe. I feel like my run is coming back and my swim is OK. It's more the bike. I just feel I don't have a zone three right now. I'm fine for any distance in Z1+2 but when I try to kick it up a notch for an interval be it one or twenty minutes I don't have that extra gear that was coming so naturally before. I only have 24 days so hopefully the taper brings it back. The weird thing is on the run I do have that extra gear.

2013-05-30 12:43 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Haymarket, VA

Went back to the shop that I purchased my bike from yesterday for a full blown fitting.  I figured it was time with a couple sprints done and picking up a new saddle.  He changed the front end quite a bit, moving my aero bars out and widening them, flipped my stem and dropped it a full spacer.  Rear end only needed a couple tweaks, raised the seat a little and moved it back.  The drop from seat to bars isn't quite as aggressive as he'd like, but with the amount of changes he made and me having a race this week he didn't want to change it too much more.

The changes definitely stretch me out more.  I now comfortably have my shoulders centered over my elbows, and a much flatter back.  It certainly felt a lot better on the trainer in the shop, and we'll see today when I get home how it feels on the road.

2013-05-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by mleech77

Went back to the shop that I purchased my bike from yesterday for a full blown fitting.  I figured it was time with a couple sprints done and picking up a new saddle.  He changed the front end quite a bit, moving my aero bars out and widening them, flipped my stem and dropped it a full spacer.  Rear end only needed a couple tweaks, raised the seat a little and moved it back.  The drop from seat to bars isn't quite as aggressive as he'd like, but with the amount of changes he made and me having a race this week he didn't want to change it too much more.

The changes definitely stretch me out more.  I now comfortably have my shoulders centered over my elbows, and a much flatter back.  It certainly felt a lot better on the trainer in the shop, and we'll see today when I get home how it feels on the road.

Good deal man. I'm a big fan of aggressive set ups, especially on races other than Iron distance ones.
2013-05-30 1:33 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by uhcoog

Good deal man. I'm a big fan of aggressive set ups, especially on races other than Iron distance ones.

I told him go as aggressive as he wanted, I'd adjust, but there's only so much he could do with it being a road bike.  He said if I felt comfortable during the race this weekend he could drop the front a little more to get me at the angle he'd really like to see me at.  Their fits are good for 90 days so I can take it back and get it tweaked as much as possible over the next three months.

2013-05-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I would only offer this as a comment from a friend that did the Rev3 full ... I like Rev3. The non-branding IM races do not tend to have as many people, and some races, such as Cedar Point (nothing against it) also are combined with a half distance. My friend said that because there are so few doing the full you spent a lot of time on your own and not seeing anyone else on the course. For Jen that might work and not matter, for others, it might. My first marathon was a local one run through on a trail. It was very small and I often found myself alone and in those painful moments wanting to give up. However, when I did Chicago with hundreds of thousands lining the course, I never dreamed of that because the people made such a huge difference and that there were runners with me the ENTIRE race. That being said, I would rather do a much bigger race and have company with the misery/pain of the accomplishment. There is just so much more energy and it feeds you. I assume the same is true of IM races as Scott mentioned.
2013-05-30 3:28 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by carrie639

I would only offer this as a comment from a friend that did the Rev3 full ... I like Rev3. The non-branding IM races do not tend to have as many people, and some races, such as Cedar Point (nothing against it) also are combined with a half distance. My friend said that because there are so few doing the full you spent a lot of time on your own and not seeing anyone else on the course. For Jen that might work and not matter, for others, it might. My first marathon was a local one run through on a trail. It was very small and I often found myself alone and in those painful moments wanting to give up. However, when I did Chicago with hundreds of thousands lining the course, I never dreamed of that because the people made such a huge difference and that there were runners with me the ENTIRE race. That being said, I would rather do a much bigger race and have company with the misery/pain of the accomplishment. There is just so much more energy and it feeds you. I assume the same is true of IM races as Scott mentioned.

There are people around you at CP. You're not going to ride 50 miles by yourself. Doesn't even come close to crowds at IM though.. If you need crowd support to motivate, then yes, it's probably a good idea to stick with WTC. I do 100% of my training alone so I'm used to being in my own head.

2013-05-30 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm often in my head too. For me, that is definitely not a good thing. I have spent a good deal of time, effort and $$ to get out of my head.
2013-05-30 3:59 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I'm often in my head too. For me, that is definitely not a good thing. I have spent a good deal of time, effort and $$ to get out of my head.

I'm there too and its not a good thing for me either. I'm much better when I'm not allowed to race alone.

2013-05-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
In other news, I popped my hamstring run hard downhill on Saturday. It bothered me for the entire run but I didn't think much of it.

When I went to run on Tuesday of the this week it popped again and I lasted all of 4 minutes. Come to find out I have a tear in my hamstring. You can put your hand in it, which is kind of cool ,but not good. It is literally and actually a massive pain in the butt.

At this point there's not much I can do but rest - ice - compression. I slept with a tight ace bandage around my thigh, which is not fun. I can't run without massive pain and there's pain on the bike when I go up hills or try to push in any way. Not a happy camper.
2013-05-30 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Maybe. I feel like my run is coming back and my swim is OK. It's more the bike. I just feel I don't have a zone three right now. I'm fine for any distance in Z1+2 but when I try to kick it up a notch for an interval be it one or twenty minutes I don't have that extra gear that was coming so naturally before. I only have 24 days so hopefully the taper brings it back. The weird thing is on the run I do have that extra gear.

You train at a fairly high load (load = volume x intensity). Sometimes its difficult to measure progress without a total unload (taper) and race situation. I would not stress. You did loose fitness and your body is likley just going through a compensation phase.

What is your plan for tapering?
2013-05-30 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I won't get to practice in the full before my race, and it's been too cold to practice before now. I'm good in the sleeveless.....if only I could get used to the stinking sleeves.

I have found that people who swam competatively in their youth have trouble adjusting to a full sleeve suit. That being said, once you are comfortable, it is faster. You may want to try soaking your suit in the bath tub a day or two before the race. It will help to soften up the neoprene, which will make the suit more flexible and comfortable.

2013-05-30 4:09 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

I guess I'm a simpleton lol - I wanted to hear Mike Reilly tell me I'm an Ironman. Well, that and the very first time I ever visited the US, my then whatever he was at the time (now husband) took me to LP. It was mid January, I had no clue about the Ironman, or even triathlon actually, but I fell in love with the place. When I first dabbled in tri, I knew that would be my first full. Would I be as excited about it if it were not an Ironman branded race? I think so. Everything all came together for that one. In future, I may well look into a HITS, but there's something reassuring about M.dot.

LP is a magical place. It is my favorite venue for an Ironman.
2013-05-30 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kaburns1214

You train at a fairly high load (load = volume x intensity). Sometimes its difficult to measure progress without a total unload (taper) and race situation. I would not stress. You did loose fitness and your body is likley just going through a compensation phase.

I do tend to train either very hard or very soft. I've killed some of my recovery runs to better rest the ITBS which has crept up.

Regular week next week and then 70% of the volume the week after and then half that the week before. I am very open to suggestion however.

In regards to non branded IM's I've heard the crowd support at Beach to Battleship is really strong and the cost is half that of M. races. I really leaning that way for my first. Hopefully I can get the wife's buy-in. If I do I'll probably go with Sonic to help me save me from me, if you know what I mean.

2013-05-30 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I won't get to practice in the full before my race, and it's been too cold to practice before now. I'm good in the sleeveless.....if only I could get used to the stinking sleeves.

I have found that people who swam competatively in their youth have trouble adjusting to a full sleeve suit. That being said, once you are comfortable, it is faster. You may want to try soaking your suit in the bath tub a day or two before the race. It will help to soften up the neoprene, which will make the suit more flexible and comfortable.
[/QUOTE

I will definitely soak it tomorrow. Thank you for this advice! I think it's somewhere in the bowels of my closet. Better find it. Dude, I need to get it together. I'm so scattered lately.
2013-05-30 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I'm there too and its not a good thing for me either. I'm much better when I'm not allowed to race alone.

Trust me, I have spent years and $ trying to get out of my head too. Only thing that helps is medicine so I just roll with it.
2013-05-30 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Tried foam rolling is? Did you have an MRI? Is that how you know its a tear? Aren't you racing next weekend? Does it put that in jeopardy?

2013-05-30 4:34 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
You guys are making me feel well adjusted....... which I'm not.
2013-05-30 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

In other news, I popped my hamstring run hard downhill on Saturday. It bothered me for the entire run but I didn't think much of it.

When I went to run on Tuesday of the this week it popped again and I lasted all of 4 minutes. Come to find out I have a tear in my hamstring. You can put your hand in it, which is kind of cool ,but not good. It is literally and actually a massive pain in the butt.

At this point there's not much I can do but rest - ice - compression. I slept with a tight ace bandage around my thigh, which is not fun. I can't run without massive pain and there's pain on the bike when I go up hills or try to push in any way. Not a happy camper.

I'm sorry to hear this, Kelly. I hope the extra rest does the trick and you are back at it soon.
2013-05-30 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Oh man. It slipped my radar to follow-up. Very sorry to hear it's still wonky. Heal quickly....BTW...are you a good patient?
2013-05-30 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I do tend to train either very hard or very soft. I've killed some of my recovery runs to better rest the ITBS which has crept up.

Regular week next week and then 70% of the volume the week after and then half that the week before. I am very open to suggestion however.

In regards to non branded IM's I've heard the crowd support at Beach to Battleship is really strong and the cost is half that of M. races. I really leaning that way for my first. Hopefully I can get the wife's buy-in. If I do I'll probably go with Sonic to help me save me from me, if you know what I mean.

So 35% the week after plus the race?

How is you RHR in the morning?
2013-05-30 5:02 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Tried foam rolling is? Did you have an MRI? Is that how you know its a tear? Aren't you racing next weekend? Does it put that in jeopardy?

No rolling, there's a tear, it needs to heal before you can try to brek up scar tissue. No MRI but you can physically feel the detachment.

I am supposed to race with Michele next weekend at Eagleman. At this point I am playing it day-by-day.

2013-05-30 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No rolling, there's a tear, it needs to heal before you can try to brek up scar tissue. No MRI but you can physically feel the detachment.

I am supposed to race with Michele next weekend at Eagleman. At this point I am playing it day-by-day.

I have been bothering Kelly via email about this. I am so disappointed and upset that you may not get to race. I was SO looking forward to racing with (behind) you!! Take it day by day and REST!! Do what you would tell all of us to do!!
2013-05-30 5:30 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by DDVMM

I have been bothering Kelly via email about this. I am so disappointed and upset that you may not get to race. I was SO looking forward to racing with (behind) you!! Take it day by day and REST!! Do what you would tell all of us to do!!

Right now I'm resting and babying it. Not much else I can do but wait and see.
2013-05-30 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I have never had a tear (other than ankle sprains) so I have no idea ... how do you know its a tear? That really sucks and may mean extended rest? What can you do? Bike & swim?
2013-05-30 6:06 PM

User image

Expert

So 35% the week after plus the race?

How is you RHR in the morning?

Yes 35% plus the race although technically the race is the next week since I do Sun-Sat.

Resting heart rate is normal. I was thinking part of it may be lack of time in the aero position this spring since the weather has sucked so bad I've been on the trainer more often than not. Just a theory with nothing scientific to back it up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86