BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-02-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by b2b14

Originally posted by Qua17

Today - I did my long swim and manged to finish 1500 despite the fact that I was incredibly tired by the end. If this fatigue when swimming keeps up - I might need to stay out of the pool until my shoulders and lats don't feel so tired. I also got in 20 minutes of PT.

The wife and I are headed out to PF Changs on a date tonight - NO KIDS! Can I get an amen! So, I wanted to burn as many calories as could so I could enjoy myself to the fullest (but not too full). Hope everyone is having a good humpday!

Enjoy date night.

Was on the way to the pool but schedule changed so only going to get my bike in today. I swam yesterday so its not that big a deal. going to try aqua jogging this weekend. I've learned a lot just reading though all of y'alls post. Sorry I don't contribute more but I don't know enough to add intelligent comments.

My rx told me today that running the marathon is out but that I can walk it if I want to (in my brace) since its mostly a gravel trail not pavement.
For me, that would be brutal. I actually heard somewhere, don't know where or how scientific this is, that walking a marathon was every bit as taxing on your body as running one since you'd be on your feet 2x+ what you would for a marathon. Think 3:30:00 at an 8mph pace, vs. 7:00:00 at 3.5mph pace. That's a lot more time on the feet and makes for a much longer afternoon.
That said, I'm considering signing up for a sprint in May and walking the run at the end, just to get back out there.

2014-02-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Got a 1500 swim in today. starting to get faster in the pool. Like anything else, it comes back with work. I also have been enjoying this devil apparatus at the gym called the stair mill. This thing is insane, and I can burn a bunch of calories while doing it. did 30 minutes today and burned 400 calories. Has anyone else ever used one of these?

Edited by kevinbe 2014-02-19 4:13 PM
2014-02-19 6:00 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

After a week of sickness and injuring my back on the weekend trying to impress my 2.5 year old sister by going over a jump on a toboggan, I got back on the bike today and did 90minutes. It felt really good. I watched some of the 1999 TDF to keep me company. I don't know that I'll be swimming or running for a few days so I'm really going to focus on the bike this week.
2014-02-20 12:54 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by kevinbe Got a 1500 swim in today. starting to get faster in the pool. Like anything else, it comes back with work. I also have been enjoying this devil apparatus at the gym called the stair mill. This thing is insane, and I can burn a bunch of calories while doing it. did 30 minutes today and burned 400 calories. Has anyone else ever used one of these?

STAIRS KILL.

I've been running stairs this winter and they are TOUGH!  But, man, it sure does wonders for the VO2 max.

2014-02-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by kevinbe

Got a 1500 swim in today. starting to get faster in the pool. Like anything else, it comes back with work. I also have been enjoying this devil apparatus at the gym called the stair mill. This thing is insane, and I can burn a bunch of calories while doing it. did 30 minutes today and burned 400 calories. Has anyone else ever used one of these?

The stair machine is INTENSE! I worked in Canada in a man camp where we saw grizzly bears every day outside our dorms...running was strictly forbidden! As a result I spent a lot of time running stairs. They will kick your butt! It's a great workout for spending time in the anaerobic range though.

I like to do 100 sets of our household stairs every now and then. (I shouldn't say "like" haha, I do it because it's a great workout and mixes things up).
2014-02-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

did a swim today, but was very lethargic not sure why. Then did some shoulder press and pull ups for strength training.

beer tonight will be sierra Nevada pale ale

2014-02-20 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Did my last run before my race this weekend: easy paced 3 miles just to keep my legs moving. Tonight will be cardio-kick to loosen up my shoulders and trick myself into some core exercise.

Ah, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Back in the mid 90's that was one of the few "micro" brews readily available on tap/bottle in my area and I drank a *lot* of it in my 20's. Was a nice alternative to the malty European imports, however it's hops are considered tame by today's standards.

2014-02-20 7:26 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Seattle
So I fully admit to having fallen off the triathlon training wagon that I had been riding, but I am back on the wagon as of tonight. I have a new gym to explore and start my workouts back up. Good thing, as I have an indoor triathlon on the 23rd of March I had registered for. My goal tonight is just one solid workout with cardio and weights and some stretching. My goal for the indoor triathlon is currently just to finish, but to feel good doing it. Thank goodness for this group though, as I know that there will be (and has been)some good support here.
2014-02-21 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Today - I did my long swim and manged to finish 1500 despite the fact that I was incredibly tired by the end. If this fatigue when swimming keeps up - I might need to stay out of the pool until my shoulders and lats don't feel so tired. I also got in 20 minutes of PT.

The wife and I are headed out to PF Changs on a date tonight - NO KIDS! Can I get an amen! So, I wanted to burn as many calories as could so I could enjoy myself to the fullest (but not too full). Hope everyone is having a good humpday!

Enjoy date night.

Was on the way to the pool but schedule changed so only going to get my bike in today. I swam yesterday so its not that big a deal. going to try aqua jogging this weekend. I've learned a lot just reading though all of y'alls post. Sorry I don't contribute more but I don't know enough to add intelligent comments.

My rx told me today that running the marathon is out but that I can walk it if I want to (in my brace) since its mostly a gravel trail not pavement.

Scott - Sorry to hear that you got such bad news from your doc. How are you feeling about it and what are you gonna do? Also - no worries about not posting more. But a couple of things to remember - we all have things to share no matter how new we are to the sport. Plus - you don't have to know anything to cheer everyone else on. I have found this forum to be crucial in my sticking to the sport. I was new to the sport once too but it has been the people in this group that have held me accountable and kept me going. The more you interact with the group - the greater the probability that you will stick with the sport. Prost!
2014-02-21 11:18 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

After a week of sickness and injuring my back on the weekend trying to impress my 2.5 year old sister by going over a jump on a toboggan, I got back on the bike today and did 90minutes. It felt really good. I watched some of the 1999 TDF to keep me company. I don't know that I'll be swimming or running for a few days so I'm really going to focus on the bike this week.
[/QUOTE

I'm wondering if beer might have had something to do with that toboggan run

Glad to hear you are back on the bike and enjoying it. I need to follow your lead and spend some quality time in the basement with the drainer.
2014-02-21 11:22 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jnmrunner

So I fully admit to having fallen off the triathlon training wagon that I had been riding, but I am back on the wagon as of tonight. I have a new gym to explore and start my workouts back up. Good thing, as I have an indoor triathlon on the 23rd of March I had registered for. My goal tonight is just one solid workout with cardio and weights and some stretching. My goal for the indoor triathlon is currently just to finish, but to feel good doing it. Thank goodness for this group though, as I know that there will be (and has been)some good support here.

Glad to have you back on the wagon Jeanne and I hope you got a good workout in! You are going to have a blast next month.

2014-02-21 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Hi all:

Yesterday was a bust in terms of working out. My hip was inflamed again from my long run on Tuesday. I'm starting to get the sense of the pattern my body follows when I push too hard/too fast and it seems like the soreness always reaches a peak 2 days after the hard workout. And it also seems like the running is harder on my hip than the biking.

That got me thinking about reexamining the way I respond after a hard workout in order to avoid injury. I'm trying to figure out the answer to these questions -
1) which is better - total rest or reduced effort on the next workout? Does swimming following a rest day actually help? Would I benefit from taking an entire week of from running/biking? 2weeks?
2) Will taking prescription doses of ibuprofen help if I take them right after a tough workout?
3) What can I do before those workouts to reduce the risk of injury? Heat? Dynamic stretching? A reverse voodoo doll?
4) How do I approach my training differently to avoid injury while still doing everything I can to be prepared for the IM in august? Would only running 2 times a week help? Would eliminating the long run for the next month help?
5) What foods can I eat to reduce inflammation?
6) What post workout stretches could I do?
7) Could the fact that I sleep on my right side have anything to do with the pain
8) Massage? Acupuncture? Moving to Canada and drinking Molsen all the time?

Sorry to keep complaining but I've got to figure this out!

On a positive note - My driver won his qualifying race for the Daytona 500 (as a Cleveland fan - I have to take what I can get). Plus - the home brew I enjoyed before, during and after the race was pretty tasty.

Onward!
2014-02-21 11:59 AM

User image

Hi all:

Yesterday was a bust in terms of working out. My hip was inflamed again from my long run on Tuesday. I'm starting to get the sense of the pattern my body follows when I push too hard/too fast and it seems like the soreness always reaches a peak 2 days after the hard workout. And it also seems like the running is harder on my hip than the biking.

That got me thinking about reexamining the way I respond after a hard workout in order to avoid injury. I'm trying to figure out the answer to these questions -
1) which is better - total rest or reduced effort on the next workout? Does swimming following a rest day actually help? Would I benefit from taking an entire week of from running/biking? 2weeks?
2) Will taking prescription doses of ibuprofen help if I take them right after a tough workout?
3) What can I do before those workouts to reduce the risk of injury? Heat? Dynamic stretching? A reverse voodoo doll?
4) How do I approach my training differently to avoid injury while still doing everything I can to be prepared for the IM in august? Would only running 2 times a week help? Would eliminating the long run for the next month help?
7) Could the fact that I sleep on my right side have anything to do with the pain

On a positive note - My driver won his qualifying race for the Daytona 500 (as a Cleveland fan - I have to take what I can get). Plus - the home brew I enjoyed before, during and after the race was pretty tasty.

Onward!

I think reduced effort might be better than abstaining completely, depending on the injury. What I've learned from physio is to monitor the level of pain immediately after the workout, immediately before bed and when I wake up in the morning. If there is pain when I get up, I won't doing any activity until the pain is gone. If there is no pain when I wake up, I'll do the full workout. If I'm having pain that persists after the workout for the rest of the day (but is gone the next morning), I'll do a minimal workout the following day. I am a firm believer in the recovery workout. I think it's really bad for the body to do a good hard workout and then take a 2 or 3 day break. The pool is a perfect recovery because it gives the whole body a good stretch and is low impact.

Additionally, I've learned that short stretches (holds of 3-5 seconds) often throughout the day are better for helping muscles heal. Longer holds (30 seconds or more, what we normally would do after a workout or to improve flexibility) can hinder healing. The injured muscle 'fights' back if you hold the stretch too long (this is how it was explained to me).

To let my knee heal and strengthen the tendons and joints, I had to start back doing 3 sets of 2 and 1s (2min run, 1 min walk). I then worked up gradually to 3 sets of 10 and 1s until I was able to run a full 30 minutes (no walking) without any knee pain.

These are things that I was advised to do by my physio guy to help get over a knee injury. They might work for you as well.

Whatever you do, don't drink Molson!
2014-02-21 12:08 PM

User image

I have a question for all you Tri-xperts out there. What cadence do you ride at? If you were a roadie before did you have to change your cadence when you went to Tris?

In my early days of riding I used to be a gear masher and rode 60-70rpm. The last few years I've bumped it up to 80rpm. This year I'm ramping up further to 90-95rpm.

What do you ride at?

Edited by adempsey10 2014-02-21 5:23 PM
2014-02-21 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I have a question for you all the Tri-xperts out there. What cadence do you ride at? If you were a roadie before did you have to change your cadence when you went to Tris?

In my early days of riding I used to be a gear masher and rode 60-70rpm. The last few years I've bumped it up to 80rpm. This year I'm ramping up further to 90-95rpm.

What do you ride at?

Personally, I spin pretty fast. An average trainer ride cadence is probably 95 to 100 - but every 2 or 3 second break drops the average a lot. My normal cadence is probably around 98 to 105.

I also have a lot of climbing and hills to deal with in my races, so I plan on running a compact 50/34 setup with an 11-28 cassette.
2014-02-21 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

> 2) Will taking prescription doses of ibuprofen help if I take them right after a tough workout? 

I've seen all sorts of chatter and threads about ibuprofen being detrimental to endurance athletes, thus I've mostly cut it out of my "diet".

From this article

Ibuprofen use may also blunt your recovery after racing or training. Research suggests that ibuprofen reduces protein synthesis, one of the ways the body repairs muscles.

Disclaimer: I have no medical background other than basic first aid and this information is based on internet articles, YMMV

2014-02-21 8:50 PM

User image

New user
I got my bike fitting today - it was great to hang out for 3.5 hrs and talk about everything triathlon! We also watched the men's olympic hockey game... I can't resist it our men played like women today and advanced to the gold metal game I will be drinking beer at 5am on sunday!!!

I ended up with a new seat, and shoes, everything feels more relaxed and Clayton had a few more tweaks to do.

Fast before far, strong before long.

I have heard this many times - what do you guys think about it? I am contemplating focusing on sprint rather than stretch to olympic this year with the focus being to actually win my age group - not just complete an olympic. It would give me more time to lift weights which for all of my complaining about the culture of bodybuilding I am really missing parts of it.

Edited by ripariangal 2014-02-21 8:55 PM
2014-02-21 8:55 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Originally posted by ripariangal
It would give me more time to lift weights which for all of my about the culture of bodybuilding I am really missing parts of it.

Don't do too much lifting. Bulk will cut into your speed. Light and fast. That's the ticket.
2014-02-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

Ibuprofen use may also blunt your recovery after racing or training. Research suggests that ibuprofen reduces protein synthesis, one of the ways the body repairs muscles.

Disclaimer: I have no medical background other than basic first aid and this information is based on internet articles, YMMV

I have also read heard/read this about ibuprofen.
2014-02-21 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by ripariangal I got my bike fitting today - it was great to hang out for 3.5 hrs and talk about everything triathlon! We also watched the men's olympic hockey game... I can't resist it our men played like women today and advanced to the gold metal game I will be drinking beer at 5am on sunday!!! I ended up with a new seat, and shoes, everything feels more relaxed and Clayton had a few more tweaks to do. Fast before far, strong before long. I have heard this many times - what do you guys think about it? I am contemplating focusing on sprint rather than stretch to olympic this year with the focus being to actually win my age group - not just complete an olympic. It would give me more time to lift weights which for all of my complaining about the culture of bodybuilding I am really missing parts of it.

I'm no expert, but I think "Fast before Far" is a receipe for injury.  You have to build a pretty significant BASE before you 'should' incorporate the high intensity efforts required to AG in a Sprint Distance. 

IMO, 'Strong before Long'  only pertains to COFFEE. lol

2014-02-21 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I got my bike fitting today - it was great to hang out for 3.5 hrs and talk about everything triathlon! We also watched the men's olympic hockey game... I can't resist it our men played like women today and advanced to the gold metal game I will be drinking beer at 5am on sunday!!!

I ended up with a new seat, and shoes, everything feels more relaxed and Clayton had a few more tweaks to do.

I have heard this many times - what do you guys think about it? I am contemplating focusing on sprint rather than stretch to olympic this year with the focus being to actually win my age group - not just complete an olympic. It would give me more time to lift weights which for all of my complaining about the culture of bodybuilding I am really missing parts of it.

Nice on the bike fitting. That's always fun.

As for the oly v. sprint, unless you're headed to a very small, local sprint, winning a sprint is hard. Looking at Trifesta, a small sprint in Southern Illinois (~100 competitors), the winner in my AG (30-34) ran a 1:06:06, with a 5:15 swim (400m swim, so a 1:30ish/100), 35:47 bike (23.5mph avg), and an 18:26.95 5k. To podium my AG, I'd need to run a 1:14. Keeping it at the red-line for an hour or 1:20 is a lot of suffering.

Besides, to be competitive at the sprint level, you're going to have more than enough chops to run an Oly. An hour training run is what, 5 or 7 miles for most of us? A good bike day is 2 or 3 hours, so 40 to 60 miles, and what, 1,000 to 2,000 yards in the pool?

The swim workouts are going to be pretty much the same, and faster bike = more time in the saddle, regardless of distance, and the only real difference might be in running, depending on speedwork.

Don't view it as an either/or proposition. Training is training, and what makes you faster at any given distance will also make you faster at every other distance.

2014-02-21 9:52 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Another FTP test - those three letters strike such fear in my quads. Today's results were 229 FTP, with a LTHR of 160 - a nice improvement from my 1-24-14 test (217 / 161) - 5.5% improvement over Sufferfest, and I'm still getting over some chest congestion.

Also, had a Bell's Winter Ale with some cauliflower-crust pizza (with turkey pepperoni and nonfat mozzarella); the beer was fantastic, and the pizza was 80% as good with 1/3 the calories. A fair bit of work, but oh well.
2014-02-21 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Hi all:

Onward!

I think reduced effort might be better than abstaining completely, depending on the injury. What I've learned from physio is to monitor the level of pain immediately after the workout, immediately before bed and when I wake up in the morning. If there is pain when I get up, I won't doing any activity until the pain is gone. If there is no pain when I wake up, I'll do the full workout. If I'm having pain that persists after the workout for the rest of the day (but is gone the next morning), I'll do a minimal workout the following day. I am a firm believer in the recovery workout. I think it's really bad for the body to do a good hard workout and then take a 2 or 3 day break. The pool is a perfect recovery because it gives the whole body a good stretch and is low impact.

Additionally, I've learned that short stretches (holds of 3-5 seconds) often throughout the day are better for helping muscles heal. Longer holds (30 seconds or more, what we normally would do after a workout or to improve flexibility) can hinder healing. The injured muscle 'fights' back if you hold the stretch too long (this is how it was explained to me).

To let my knee heal and strengthen the tendons and joints, I had to start back doing 3 sets of 2 and 1s (2min run, 1 min walk). I then worked up gradually to 3 sets of 10 and 1s until I was able to run a full 30 minutes (no walking) without any knee pain.

These are things that I was advised to do by my physio guy to help get over a knee injury. They might work for you as well.

Whatever you do, don't drink Molson!
Alan-
I've never heard this put in to words before as a way to monitor pain. I've been dealing with a calf injury since October. Long story short, financially, I can't access a physio right now. I go to bed with the calf pain, and wake up with it, but shortly after being on my feet, it goes away. I cut out all run, and am only doing elliptical, stair mill. About 7-8 o'clock, the pain still comes back. After quite a few months it has lessened in intensity, but is still there each day. Just looking forward to the day it is gone in the evenings and mornings, then I'll slowly incorporate run back into the mix. Thanks for sharing your experience with Physio, as this just affirms to me to continue to listen to my body.
2014-02-21 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Go with what you know. Listen to your heart, you'll be a lot happier for it.
Jelous you got to watch the game. It sounded like Canada owned us from start to finish, but a close affair again. Maybe we'll get you guys in '18.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-02-21 10:35 PM
2014-02-21 10:42 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Another FTP test - those three letters strike such fear in my quads. Today's results were 229 FTP, with a LTHR of 160 - a nice improvement from my 1-24-14 test (217 / 161) - 5.5% improvement over Sufferfest, and I'm still getting over some chest congestion.

Also, had a Bell's Winter Ale with some cauliflower-crust pizza (with turkey pepperoni and nonfat mozzarella); the beer was fantastic, and the pizza was 80% as good with 1/3 the calories. A fair bit of work, but oh well.
Nice work on the bike, especially nursing a chest cold. I've never had a bell's winter brew before, but must admit that my mouth waters at the mention of a good IPA, or a winter Brew. Two different styles, but two of my favorites. Keep up the solid work on the bike. We'll be out on the pavement soon!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.