General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-07-04 5:13 AM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
I carry 4 bottle for this reason: I do not want to stop on the bike. I have 2 bottles of nutrition for the whole race. I have an aerobottle of water to sip on. I have a spare bottle of water in case something goes wrong and a bottle is dropped. I keep a bottle of nutrition I special needs, again in case something goes wrong. You will see lots of dropped bottles on the course. What works for me is to be self sufficient. Some choose to live off the land. Just gotta figure out your plan, practice it and stick to it. As far as liquid v solid. It becomes difficult for me to process solids when going for x hours at race pace. It can be difficult to process the liquid. I do take GU when I feel I need a kick in the pants. If you eat solids in training and have practiced that...including running! Then go for it. Personally eating raisins and figs and anything with fiber or bulk would make me crap my pants . Back to keep it simple approach.

2010-07-04 5:49 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I have a podium quest aerobottle that holds about 50 oz and I have 2 bottle cages.  I also use solids.  I like accelerade and in an IM I usually go thru 4 servings and the rest is water or NUUN (electrolyte fluid no calories)   I can't stand lemon lime gatorade and that is what they used to have on the course and you didn't knw if they would have LL or orange on the run or the bike.  Solids I use gels and candy.  I live in FL so I need something that does not melt.  I usually use twizzlers, airheads or orange slice candies.  Really you need sugar it doesn't need to be labeled as sports food to work and I might as well enjoy it.  I need vareity and can't stand eating the same thing over and over.  I'm slow and I will never KQ so I might as well make my mouth and stomach happy with what I like and honestly carrying 20oz of fluid is not going to make any difference in my result, but if I dont' eat or drink anything that will crush me.

2010-07-04 5:56 AM

User image

Master

4 bottles- 2 Infinit concentrate and 2 water. Picked up my extra bottles of Infinit at special needs last year.

2010-07-04 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
This will be my first IM, so I'm still learning, but I do better with solid nutition.  If I only use liquid, I feel hungry.  On long training rides, and HIM, I will put Power Bars and/or Clif Bars, gels, or gel blocks in my bento box and pockets.  For hydration, I just use an aero bottle, and 2 frame bottles.  I will usually put a mixture of water and electrolyte/energy drink in one of the bottles.  For long training rides in the heat, I just make quick stops at convenience stores to refill the bottles.  I also seem to have an iron gut, so during races, I can live off the course.
2010-07-04 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2960376

User image

Elite
SE
I did IMAZ last year with an aero bottle of water and 2 rear bottles of 1. straight gatorade endurance 2. gatorade endurance with Carbopro 1200 and electrolytes (mixed to close to 4 hours worth of cals). I refilled water and gatorade straight with on course bottles.

This year I added a joule so I dropped the aerobottle for a speedfil and bendable straw for the water. It holds much more fluids than my aerobottle did.

I also carried a bentobox with a squeeze bottle of 500 cals of hammer gel, which came went with me on the run as I grabbed some packets of powergel on course. This is pretty much what I'll be doing this year.

My issue is to make sure I drink enough. I also followed the pre-race nutrition plan here even though it was strange getting up late at night to consume cals.

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/nutrition_body_composition/ironman_nutrition.html
2010-07-04 5:06 PM

User image

New user

United States

Hi All,
Thought I'd join in on the thread.  I followed the race talk during training for CDA and received a lot of good information.  I assume most are just startig a training program or about too begin.  Good luck with your training an look forward to following this race talk leading up to Florida.

2010-07-04 5:47 PM

User image

Regular
Ventura
I use the Carbo-Pro 1200 no solids. Faster absorption - Essentially fluids are (for lack of better terminology) "pre digested" In other words the stomach and intestines DO NOT  have to beak it down as it does solid food. When eating solids the stomach and intestines need more blood  to give those muscle more oxygen to aid in the brake down &  digestion... this is energy ( think how you're feeling after eating Thanksgiving dinner - an extreme example ) it also  takes oxygen and blood away from the lungs which may contribute (however slight) to   increased heart rate ... blah blah blah... and blood from your leg muscles -then ....lactic acid... and cramping.
 OR ... your body may not even be able to digest the solid because all the blood is going to lungs and legs... (bloated during race is no fun) ...
Fluid nutrition is  ez and simple ... just drink and if ya have a straw sittin in your face its a good reminder.  Calories and hydration  all in one (LOL kinda like one stop shopping)  The hard part is deciding... what brand  works for you and how much will you need to get you thru the run.
BTW... after careful consideration I purchased a speedfil

Edited by dkrrt 2010-07-04 6:05 PM
2010-07-04 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2960931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I stopped using my Profile Design Aero Drink because I drank too much.  My brain kept telling me I was always thirsty and the straw sticking in my face made it very easy.  I ditched it and switched to the Xlab Torpedo and set my Garmin 500 to alert me every 15 or 20 minutes to take some Infinit and water.

The Speedfil intrigued me but it's just too damn big and doesn't mount well on bikes that lack a down tube bottle mount like my Felt. 

Edited by GMAN 19030 2010-07-04 8:24 PM
2010-07-05 12:43 AM

User image

Expert
Austin
For my training right now I'm using three bottles, two water and one Gatorade. I'm also carrying Gu and Endurolytes. The Gu I take every 45 min to an hour and the Endurolytes I'm taking every half hour right now based on the heat and how much I'm sweating. I may give the salt stick a try within the next month or so because it's much more concentrated and may save some hassle with the Endurolytes. I would wager that I sweat more than the majority of people here as my jersey and tri shorts are usually covered in a white layer of salt on rides lasting more than 2.5 hours. I still think I'm a bit under hydrated on my longer rides and am really working on taking in enough fluids.

I think my nutrition is still a work in progress and I'm experimenting with what works and ideally I'd like to be down to just two bottles for the race with some Gu's taped to the frame so we'll see how that goes as training progresses and the temperatures get a bit lower (read below 90).
2010-07-05 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2961221

User image

Regular
Ventura
Sometimes I feel that we should actually call Ironman or ironman distance races  (70.3 or 140.6 )  a "quadathlon" since nutrition is such an integral part of it and its always part of the challenge!
I use thermolyte for my electrolyte replacement.

Edited by dkrrt 2010-07-05 7:12 AM
2010-07-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2961324

User image

Champion
MA
dkrrt - 2010-07-05 8:10 AM Sometimes I feel that we should actually call Ironman or ironman distance races  (70.3 or 140.6 )  a "quadathlon" since nutrition is such an integral part of it and its always part of the challenge!

So true...many have issues that are nutrition based.

My suggestion is keep meticulous records of what you did in training and racing of your hydration and nutrition as it can be useful to look back at what has worked and not worked.

I was vomiting on the bike for hours at IM Canada and looking back and talking with an old coach I looked back at my records and the big difference in hydration, nutrition was my sodium intake from IM #1 to IM #2..I took in 4000 mg less in first 5 hours. Plus I always trained with nuuns in water bottles which has 340 mg of sodium and race day drank straight water besides my nutrition.

I use Lava Salts as they have much more sodium (about 10x more) than Hammer electrolytes.

2010-07-05 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I use Lava salts too.  I have a ridiculously high sweat rate with a ridiculously high sodium content (I had it tested)  and I live in a stoopid hot place.  I've become good at adjusting my fluid needs accordingly as IMFL will be 20-25 degrees cooler than what I normally train in.  A lot of it is experience and experimenting.  Like Kathy said keep track of what you do so you can go back and say OK that worked or that didn't.  I'd suggest a plan A and B if nto C as well.  I have read a LOT of IM race reports and I can tell you the 2 places people fail where they could have controled things are nutrition and mental game.  I'm a BOPPER and I need to control the things I can control.  That may be the difference between finishing or not finishing for me.  There are so many many things that can happen on an IM race day that you can NOT control to me its racing stupid to let something you can control but didn't ruin your day.

Edited by Socks 2010-07-05 9:03 AM
2010-07-05 1:33 PM

User image

Master

Now is the time to start dialing in your nutrition. I had to make some last minute adjustments to my nutrition plan in early October. Which IMO is way too late to be changing things up.

When laying out my nutrition plan I didn't factor in the amount of caffeine that I drink during the day. My IMFL nutrition plan didn't come close to matching that amount. Yes, I know I shouldn't consume that much caffeine on a daily basis..... During a race simulation I learned what happens without caffeine. It wasn't pretty.

I tried supplementing with GU's that had caffeine. We ended up changing my Infinit bike formula and adding in caffeine. Which worked great at IMFL.

Most people don't train for 10+ hours. My nutrition worked for the individual swim, bike, run distances of the IM. It even worked with longer bricks. It didn't work over 9 hours before we changed my formulas and plan.

If you think you might eat anything on the course during race day try it out on a long training day. I tried flat coke, chicken broth (much to the amusement of my family), pretzels, oranges etc., during training. I can't drink Gatorade.

You don't want to try something new on race day. There are times in the race that you will think about trying something new. If they offered poison people would take it. When you see (and you will see them) people throwing up remind yourself that they deviated from their nutrition plan. This may or may not be the case but it will keep you on track. When you see people going to fast on the bike tell yourself that you will pass them on the run..When you see people walking tell yourself you will run past them even if it is a 15minute miles. Learn to lie to yourself during training. It will come in handy on race day.

Kathy G can attest to the "interesting" mental conversations that go on in my head during a race!

Edited by Catwoman 2010-07-05 1:38 PM
2010-07-05 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2961816

User image

Regular
Ventura
Catwomen I've had some of the weirdest food cravings and thought of the craziest food combos that sounded soooo darn good out there during those long lonely training days or during  long course and you're right! Give us poison and we'll gladly take it ingest it and thank you for it! As serious as your post is I just had to laugh.
And the mental game... me, myself and I have had some pretty interesting discourses out there... throw in a few of those mental demons and I've had quite a party going... 
2010-07-05 3:13 PM

User image

Master

My favorite long ride snack.

2010-07-05 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2961920

User image

Regular
Ventura
ROTFLMAO!

2010-07-05 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
This is great info guys!  I've always prided myself on my marathon nutrition.  I had executed it flawlessly a few times now.  But there is a big difference between Marathons and IM. (about 10 hours Im guessing)  I haven't really tried any of the fuels that people recommended.  I have tried HEED and know that I don't like it.  Too creamy.  Infinite nutrition seems like a pretty neat idea.  Im wondering if there is a way to get customized sample packs with out having to buy a case of individual packs.  

Also someone mentioned caffeine.  I've never used caffeine in races but all the time for work and life (night shift nurse)  How many people use caffeine?  

Thanks

2010-07-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2961932

User image

Regular
Ventura
Catwoman I hope i wasn't offensive  surly was not my intent. If i was i sincerely apologize.I wasn't laughing at your choice of nutrition but rather the visual.  Was just so astounded at seeing the photo- wasn't qiute prepared for that !
I tried cashews while riding but nearly aspirated one - slippery little buggers! Cashew butter worked out better.
My x training partner would bring a baked sweet potato on rides ...
I'm happy to see you found something that works well for you
A
2010-07-05 9:59 PM

User image

Master

No offense taken. 

2010-07-06 2:50 AM
in reply to: #2961816

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I will disagree on part of the above discussion.  Not a single thing I ate on the run at IMAZ was something I had tried in training.  None of it.  My planned nutrition wasn't working so I started experimenting on the course, and it worked great.  I had all sorts of stuff.  Unless you had a super sensitive stomach, you can probably eat almost anything and be fine.

I would also like to point out to the newbies that you don't necessarily need salt.  I don't supplement with salt at all and I'm fine.  Only use it if you end up needing it.  But try training without it first!  One less thing to complicate your day.  I don't even add any salt to anything I cook or buy.  I hate salt!  I think a lot of people end up taking salt because everyone says its great...well, here's one person saying that you don't necessarily need it!

And not everyone you see "throwing up" out there deviated from their nutrition plan.  I followed mine to the letter, it had worked in all my training...and halfway through the bike I got $hits that would follow me the rest of the day.  Once I ditched the nutrition plan and used COMMON SENSE I got progressively better.

The plan is good...but be VERY VERY ready to ditch the plan if it isn't working!
2010-07-06 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
You are so lucky, jidicarlo! You must have an iron stomach. I DNF'ed IMAZ because I ended up with hyponatremia. Now I'm terrified of not taking in enough salt. My training for future IM's will be much more focused my nutrition.

2010-07-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2962704

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
seitz1124 - 2010-07-06 4:48 PM You are so lucky, jidicarlo! You must have an iron stomach. I DNF'ed IMAZ because I ended up with hyponatremia. Now I'm terrified of not taking in enough salt. My training for future IM's will be much more focused my nutrition.

Well, not completely iron, since I DID have the $hits for over ten hours, but generally speaking as long as I don't eat too much or too heavy, my stomach is OK.

As for the salt...people ingest a ridiculous amount of salt in their typical diet...and don't even realize it.  If you've had issues due to lack of salt, that's one thing...go ahead and experiment with using it in training.  I'm just sick of people using it because everyone else says it's great, not because they actually NEED it.

Edited to add...also, from what I understand, hyponatremia isn't necessarily just from not taking in enough salt, but also from taking in too many fluids....it's an out of balance condition.  Too many fluids would be just as crucial as not enough salt.  We used to have water forced down our throats during basic training and survival training...once the dangers of hyponatremia became headline news, they backed off the forced water consumption for that reason....

Edited by jldicarlo 2010-07-06 7:55 AM
2010-07-06 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2962543

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

jldicarlo - 2010-07-06 3:50 AM I will disagree on part of the above discussion.  Not a single thing I ate on the run at IMAZ was something I had tried in training.  None of it.  My planned nutrition wasn't working so I started experimenting on the course, and it worked great.  I had all sorts of stuff.  Unless you had a super sensitive stomach, you can probably eat almost anything and be fine.

I would also like to point out to the newbies that you don't necessarily need salt.  I don't supplement with salt at all and I'm fine.  Only use it if you end up needing it.  But try training without it first!  One less thing to complicate your day.  I don't even add any salt to anything I cook or buy.  I hate salt!  I think a lot of people end up taking salt because everyone says its great...well, here's one person saying that you don't necessarily need it!

And not everyone you see "throwing up" out there deviated from their nutrition plan.  I followed mine to the letter, it had worked in all my training...and halfway through the bike I got $hits that would follow me the rest of the day.  Once I ditched the nutrition plan and used COMMON SENSE I got progressively better.

The plan is good...but be VERY VERY ready to ditch the plan if it isn't working!

I agree on most of this.  I don't add salt to ANYTHING I hate it.  I don't even have any in my house much to the chagrin of visitors   But alas my body chemistry is to be a heavy salt sweater.  Its individual know your needs

My first IM I threw my nutrition plan out the window the first 10 miles of the bike.  I had trained with fig newtons and that day I just could NOT imagine eating one more.  I ate bananas and gels and i was fine.  I do have an iron stomach.  Being able to change things up on the fly is improtant and if that doesn't appeal to you have a plan A B and C.  Know whats on the course and what you can tolerate.  I think if you have  decent idea of how much fluid, calories and salt you need it makes that stuff easier

You never know what is going to appeal to you on race day.  I pretty much chose from the sports food buffet on the run and bring some cliff shots which I like.  Its nearly impossible to replicate what you are going to feel like on an IM marathon, and for a BOPPER like me its a long day.  Just do thebest you can.

2010-07-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2962704

User image

Champion
MA
seitz1124 - 2010-07-06 8:48 AM You are so lucky, jidicarlo! You must have an iron stomach. I DNF'ed IMAZ because I ended up with hyponatremia. Now I'm terrified of not taking in enough salt. My training for future IM's will be much more focused my nutrition.

I hear you about the not enough salt issue. After what I went through at IM Canada I would never ever want to go through it again.

You sweat salt water so you need to consume salt and water to replace some/most of what you sweat off. I never drink plain water when training so why I drank plain water at IM puzzles me...stupid really. I know part was it was 95 and really hot and that was the only thing I could get that was cold was water and I don't do Gatorade.

Look at the nutrition of Gatorade Endurance which is made for endurance sports...200 mg of sodium per 8 oz of fluid. Drink a 24 oz water bottle an hour it is 600 mg of sodium and similar sodium levels in the new Powerbar drink. Regular Gatorade has half as much sodium but that is not served at long course tris in general..yes it was at St. George and CdA this year as the new Powerbar drink wasn't ready.

Here are a couple of articles that may be insightful...

Part 1
Part 2
Patriot HIM RR from exp. tri coach who got hyponatremia
2010-07-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2961324

User image

Expert
dkrrt - 2010-07-05 7:10 AM Sometimes I feel that we should actually call Ironman or ironman distance races  (70.3 or 140.6 )  a "quadathlon" since nutrition is such an integral part of it and its always part of the challenge!

I actually posted an update on my blog recently that, in my opinion, there are 6 parts to a triathlon.
1. swim
2. bike
3. run
4. transitions
5. nutrition
6. stretching/injury prevention

I'm not on the computer a lot over the weekend, so a lot of interesting reading this morning on nutrition.  I've been experimenting with Infinit all year as that is what I plan to use on the bike during IMFL.  It seems to be working well except when I don't drink enough.  Still have a hard time getting that much liquid in me at times.

As far as the salt - I don't salt my food and I've never taken salt tablets in a race, but have seriously thought about it lately because of the heat I train in and the amount I sweat.  I have finished some of my running races with salt all over me.  I need to do some more research on that for me.

It's definitely an experiment to figure out what works and hopefully I'll get it right.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104