Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-12-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1875771

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
Marvarnett - 2008-12-29 11:34 AM

My goal for 2009 is to be consistant and focus.

I want to be consistant in my training.  Even if I can't get the entire workout in, I at least make an attempt even if it's just 10 min of a 60 min workout.

I want to be in the moment during my workouts.  Check life problems and any issues at the door and just focus on the workout.  I can't do anything about it while I'm training, so why worry about it.

If I do these two things, I should reach my time goals for 2009.  But I'll be happy with giving it what I can each time.

Dan,

I like these goals and have many of the same!

Tony

2008-12-29 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1876151

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2008-12-29 2:36 PM

My goal is to make it to the start line of IMKY 100% healthy and then hit my times for the race. Alot of training to go to hit those times but I`m confident I will be there on Aug. 30 th.

Nate,

I believe that once you make it to the start line of your Ironman race, you've done over 90% of what's needed. Let's see if we can help you meet your goal.

Tony
2008-12-29 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1857242

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Quote of the Day:

"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them".

-Denis Watley

*How about we discuss nutrition as the topic of the week? (It was on my list and has come up recently a few times)

Let me know what you all think.

Tony
2008-12-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1876296

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Topic of the Week

Sounds good.

Quick question though: was there a discussion about base training or did it come out of a book somewhere?

Steve

2008-12-29 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1868222

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Books and Planning

Went to the doc today to get everything reviewed.  Basically I need to keep stretching and PT'ing and everything should clear up in the next couple of months.  I should NOT train through the pain, she said to go easy for a day or two if things start to hurt.  If I do the "PT" exercises 2-3 times a week I'm good.  I think it's doable.

One thing I've been seeing more and more is a comment about stretching.  Static stretching, where you hold a stretch without moving, should be done AFTER exercising and being warmed up. In fact, one study found a 20% strength DECREASE in the first 30 minutes after static stretching.  Warming up should be done before the workout (walking lunges, windmills, leg swings, etc.).  Anyone hear about this?

tribesman - 2008-12-22 2:41 PM
Steve Mark - 2008-12-21 2:01 PM

I just finished reading the first part and going through a number of plans for the second part of "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes."  My issue is that as of tomorrow (Monday, 12/22) I have the following timelines:

Oly 19 weeks
70.3 30 weeks (11 week delta - 1 week recovery = 10 weeks effective)
Oly 38 weeks (8 week delta - 2 weeks recovery = 6 weeks effective)
70.3 43 weeks (5 week delta - 1 week recovery = 4 weeks effective)

Goals for the first Oly and HIM are to complete them mid-pack (<4h, <7h).  Goals for the second Oly and HIM are to podium (or just be faster, like <3.5h and <6h).

I'm trying to put together a training plan for this and here's where I've gotten to, based on the book and responses from Mike and Amy:

Limiter/pre-season training for next 3 weeks (been doing this for past 6 weeks)
16-week oly plan for Oly
12/13 week oly->him bridge plan starting in week 3 for HIM
8 week HIM speed plan for Oly (starting week 3)
4 week maintenance/speed for HIM

So, the questions:

1. The 16-week plans in the Programs section don't have workout details, just workout times.  How do I figure out what to do within the workouts?

2. I need to have strength training as part of the programs as last season I developed runner's knee and ITBS.  Also, I need rest/recovery periods of a week every 3-4 and a day a week at least.  Which plans would work for me, because I'm not finding ones with the details I need.

Thanks!
Steve, I am going to take a look at my copy of "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" (TPFMA) and see how I can help. I thought it had workout descriptions based on codes but I could be mistaken. I will get back with you soon. Regarding strength training, I think Bernhardt has a section on it in that book too? I actually used it and had good results. I believe it is very similar to Joe Friel's strength training plan in "Triathlon Training Bible" (TTB), although he goes into much further detail. Regarding injuries...I hear ya sir!! I had over 9 months of physical therapy for patellar tendonitis. I did A LOT (A LOT!!) of exercises for my glutes, hip flexors, quads, hams, and calves. My PT had me do about the same amount of work on my core (abs, back) too. She said a strong core not only helps to heal injuries but assists with swimming, biking, and running. If you think about it, I think it makes sense as you need to be strong and stable with all three sports. TEAM: I encourage you to check out some of the articles here on BT. Here are a couple to get you started. I like the "planks" with your forearms on the ground and a lot of the pilates movements. Trust me, core is going to be a topic of the week! http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=140&authorid=... Specifically, check out the "Hard Core" article for demonstrations on some of the exercises too. I have mentioned this before and will continue to do so. We must stretch to ensure we can continue to training for this wonderful sport. Our bodies do not like ultra tight muscles. Also, I use my foam roller almost daily. Here is an example of why I do. After an intense session, think of how our muscles may develop a certain tightness in one area, much like they are "knotted up". Stretching helps loosen up most of the muscles, but it does not quite get them all. That is where the foam roller comes into play. Tie a knot in a rope...will pulling both ends loosen it up? No. The foam roller helps to smooth out the "knot" that we have in our muscles. You can find foam rollers in many places but here is where I found mine: http://www.performbetter.com/ (search Foam Roller) They even have a foam roller exercuse sheet on their site that you can print. Thanks and keep up the good work gang! Tony
2008-12-30 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1876991

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Books and Planning
Steve Mark - 2008-12-29 10:40 PM

Went to the doc today to get everything reviewed.  Basically I need to keep stretching and PT'ing and everything should clear up in the next couple of months.  I should NOT train through the pain, she said to go easy for a day or two if things start to hurt.  If I do the "PT" exercises 2-3 times a week I'm good.  I think it's doable.

One thing I've been seeing more and more is a comment about stretching.  Static stretching, where you hold a stretch without moving, should be done AFTER exercising and being warmed up. In fact, one study found a 20% strength DECREASE in the first 30 minutes after static stretching.  Warming up should be done before the workout (walking lunges, windmills, leg swings, etc.).  Anyone hear about this?

Steve,

You are VERY correct.  The most recent studies I have reviewed have all come to basically the same conclusion.  You want to stretch after you have warmed up a bit.  "Cold" stretching only helps minimally and you have a greater chance of injury.  I take about 5 min and do static drills (leg swings, run in place, lunges) and then do my workout.  I always stretch AFTER my workouts.  

And for those that use to bounce when stretching, do not do that.  It elicits a contraction response from your muscles that can injur you.  Think about when you fall asleep sitting down and your head jerks backwards when it falls forward.  This is the response you want to avoid.  It's a defense mechanism from your muscles to prevent being stretched too far.

I stretch immediately after my workouts because I know if I say I'm going to do it later, it rarely happens.  So before I get in my car or walk back in the house, I stretch.  Make it a habit.

2008-12-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1875549

User image

Veteran
Georgia
afrutoz - 2008-12-29 8:40 AM

My goals for 2009:

This is my 40th B-day year so its a big one!

Goal #1 Is to mentally stay strong and not freak out about my family's current economic situation which, to be totally honest, is REALLY baaaaddd.. (Hubby gets entire income from stock market...let me say it differently  He USED to get income from stock market

Goal #2 (Which will really help with Goal #1) Complete my first half ironman and not be dead last.

Goal #3 I have great drive to train, but I stink at will power on the nutrition side.  This is going to be the year I really get my diet cleaned up.  One of my pledges is to honestly log my nutrition every day..Even the days when the diet is 6 beers, three twinkies and the plato gordo at my local mexican restaurant...

All my friends are constantly like 'WOW you have lost so much weight'..then I go for a bike ride on the SCT will the local triathletes and realize that I am a beluga whale compared to these folks.  So less chimichangas and more chicken breasts in 2009!

Goal #4  I will try to stop feeling guilty about the time I take for training.  I will remind myself that my hubby and kids are actually better off when mommy is slim, fit and sane....If it means 15 hours a week I have to spend by myself then its still ok...

Thats it...Not completly sports related but its all interrelated: swim, bills, eating, bike, time to hug the kids, take out the garbage, run.....LIFE! Kiss

Alison,

I started tri's during my 40th B-day year with Indian Springs (Georgia).   Since then, I've done Oly's, Half's and just finished IMFL (Ironman Flordia). Funny how those local sprints get you addicted.  My mentor back then was tribesman/Tony, who has since become a great friend.  Guess you could say I was his guinea pig for mentoring.  He has a lot of knowledge about this sport and did a great job with helping me reach my goals. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say your goals are very similar to my first year goals, with the exception of doing a HIM (half ironman).   As for nutrition, it would be difficult to make a drastic change to your diet/food choices.  In my experience, that's where most diets fail.  As Tony will say, "Take baby steps."  Making a small change each week will get you there.  Instead of a candy bar, try some celery and carrots.  Or, instead of cereal (high sugar content) for breakfast, try oatmeal (with fruit instead of sugar). And, you don't have to get rid of everything you like.  For example, at the local Mexican restaruant get the chicken, beans and rice, but nothing fried like the chimichangas.  Pretty soon the small things add up and you will not only feel better but it will get easier to make the right food choices. Tony will have some more in depth information about nutrition,  so take notes because I never listened to what he said the first time around, or at all. (Isn't that right tribesman :-p )

Alison, you've already started crawling, soon you be walking, and I look forward to seeing you run across the finish line in Augusta!

Craig

Edited by craignmcd 2008-12-30 10:01 AM
2008-12-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1875980

tribesman - 2008-12-29 12:23 PM  Typically one should establish a base over a 12 week period to prepare the body for a good season. It sounds like although you have years of running under your belt, you never "really" established that base since you felt your lacked endurance. This big base is so important for your season. I believe in getting a great foundation before a lot speedwork, but you will do SOME intensity work during base. You might be fast or faster earlier, but you will also likely need that speed later in the year. It is hard to keep that speedwork up without that base. The human body can only hold peak fitness for about 7-10 days. If you want to relate it to tri, you might do a short speed session, an intermediate run of say 4-6 miles, and a longer run. Since you are targeting a marathon, your long run will be very important. The same can be said for cycling too, and even swimming. Regarding rest, many athlete's follow the 3/1 theory. This is a 3 week build with a week of recovery. Note you are still training during that recovery or "down" week, but you will need to either reduce the intensity or total training time. Also, there something said for peaking. I usually have only two "A" races a year, and they fall around May and September/October as that is how my season is set up. You build and recover and only truly peak about 2 times per season. It's just the way our body adapts to stress and is made. Your fitness gains are not during the workout, but during the recovery FROM the workout. Lastly, keep in mind that speed work is like icing on the cake...but you have to bake the cake FIRST. Does this help? Tony

yes this helps!! confirms all of my prior thoughts.

our weekly mileage once the season gets rolling was lucky to hit 20-25 miles and he left it to us to run extra after 2 hours of speed work. We were lucky if we got two distance days. Lame. Never knew about that 7-10 day peak fitness at all.

also, How long does a typical oly .9 mi swim take for the average athlete?  

2008-12-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1876309

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Topic of the Week
Steve Mark - 2008-12-29 4:10 PM

Sounds good.

Quick question though: was there a discussion about base training or did it come out of a book somewhere?

Steve

Steve,

We can still continue to discuss base training as group. I just tossed another topic out there so we can generate additional conversation, ideas, etc...

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-30 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1877659

Expert
Atlanta, GA
craignmcd - 2008-12-30 10:52 AM

afrutoz - 2008-12-29 8:40 AM

My goals for 2009:

This is my 40th B-day year so its a big one!

Goal #1 Is to mentally stay strong and not freak out about my family's current economic situation which, to be totally honest, is REALLY baaaaddd.. (Hubby gets entire income from stock market...let me say it differently  He USED to get income from stock market

Goal #2 (Which will really help with Goal #1) Complete my first half ironman and not be dead last.

Goal #3 I have great drive to train, but I stink at will power on the nutrition side.  This is going to be the year I really get my diet cleaned up.  One of my pledges is to honestly log my nutrition every day..Even the days when the diet is 6 beers, three twinkies and the plato gordo at my local mexican restaurant...

All my friends are constantly like 'WOW you have lost so much weight'..then I go for a bike ride on the SCT will the local triathletes and realize that I am a beluga whale compared to these folks.  So less chimichangas and more chicken breasts in 2009!

Goal #4  I will try to stop feeling guilty about the time I take for training.  I will remind myself that my hubby and kids are actually better off when mommy is slim, fit and sane....If it means 15 hours a week I have to spend by myself then its still ok...

Thats it...Not completly sports related but its all interrelated: swim, bills, eating, bike, time to hug the kids, take out the garbage, run.....LIFE! Kiss

Alison,

I started tri's during my 40th B-day year with Indian Springs (Georgia).   Since then, I've done Oly's, Half's and just finished IMFL (Ironman Flordia). Funny how those local sprints get you addicted.  My mentor back then was tribesman/Tony, who has since become a great friend.  Guess you could say I was his guinea pig for mentoring.  He has a lot of knowledge about this sport and did a great job with helping me reach my goals. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say your goals are very similar to my first year goals, with the exception of doing a HIM (half ironman).   As for nutrition, it would be difficult to make a drastic change to your diet/food choices.  In my experience, that's where most diets fail.  As Tony will say, "Take baby steps."  Making a small change each week will get you there.  Instead of a candy bar, try some celery and carrots.  Or, instead of cereal (high sugar content) for breakfast, try oatmeal (with fruit instead of sugar). And, you don't have to get rid of everything you like.  For example, at the local Mexican restaruant get the chicken, beans and rice, but nothing fried like the chimichangas.  Pretty soon the small things add up and you will not only feel better but it will get easier to make the right food choices. Tony will have some more in depth information about nutrition,  so take notes because I never listened to what he said the first time around, or at all. (Isn't that right tribesman :-p )

Alison, you've already started crawling, soon you be walking, and I look forward to seeing you run across the finish line in Augusta!

Craig

Craig is correct in that we must crawl before we can run (or finish a tri!) It is very difficult to go cold turkey and make drastic changes with nutrition. I started making small changes and gradually made my eating habits work for me. I do not eat correctly 100% of the time, but find I am on target maybe 98% of the time. I find that I feel better when I eat foods that help fuel me the correct way. You have to find foods that YOU like so YOU stick with it. Like triathlon, it is a lifestyle commitment and change.

Craig- Yes, listening is important

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-30 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1876246

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
tribesman - 2008-12-29 12:34 PM
Marvarnett - 2008-12-29 11:34 AM

My goal for 2009 is to be consistant and focus.

I want to be consistant in my training.  Even if I can't get the entire workout in, I at least make an attempt even if it's just 10 min of a 60 min workout.

I want to be in the moment during my workouts.  Check life problems and any issues at the door and just focus on the workout.  I can't do anything about it while I'm training, so why worry about it.

If I do these two things, I should reach my time goals for 2009.  But I'll be happy with giving it what I can each time.

Dan, I like these goals and have many of the same! Tony

I think along the same lines: even a bad/partial workout is much better than no workout (unless you're burned-out, of course).  At the very least it tells your body that you're still active.  Sometimes I'll go to the gym not really wanting to be there, and go through the motions half-heartedly, but I still feel better when I leave.

I also train sometimes to get away from life, that's one of the great things about tri's, other than just completing the next step/stroke, there's not much else you're able to think about.  :-)

2008-12-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1875549

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
afrutoz - 2008-12-29 6:40 AM

The motto of the LA Tri club is "Swim. Bike. Run. Play."  Says it all.

Regarding your "alone" comment: have you considered joining a local group (like Team-in-Training)?  It makes everything much easier as you have a group of friends to train with and work toward common goals.  I joined-up last season and it really made everything much easier.

2008-12-30 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1877972

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2008-12-30 1:38 PM

afrutoz - 2008-12-29 6:40 AM

The motto of the LA Tri club is "Swim. Bike. Run. Play."  Says it all.

Regarding your "alone" comment: have you considered joining a local group (like Team-in-Training)?  It makes everything much easier as you have a group of friends to train with and work toward common goals.  I joined-up last season and it really made everything much easier.

Good points Steve.

Alison,

Being in Douglasville, I know the local bike shop (LBS) Bicycle Outfitters has rides. There are some "no drop" rides that you might want to consider as a way to meet others and learn new routes. Maybe stop in there and ask or give them a call if you have not already. Also, the local running group (Douglas County Rogue Runners) welcomes runners of all abilities. I understand they are a great group of people.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-30 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Goals for 2009:
General goal: keep life in balance (family, church, work, triathlons, home)
Race goals: complete a 1/2 IM (hopefully 2) and improve on last years times in shorter distances
Daily goal: is to actually get out of bed at the planned/scheduled time. That seems to be a difficult task for me - and when I don't do that it jacks up my entire schedule.
This months goals: base train in running, swim consistently, start using trainer / riding (haven't ridden in two months - every time tried to go with group lately it has gotten cancelled)

Nutrition:
I can't say I eat horrible. I definitely don't deprive myself of what I want but I don't tend to want to much bad stuff. I have cut out Diet Coke/soft drinks since Sept 2007 with the exception of an occasional Red Bull. Something I learned from my dentist which has helped me even cut back on those things - Red Bulls are worse for your teeth than even soft drink. They significanly increase your chance of getting cavities if you don't drink water / brush teeth after drinking. Can't give up entirely though b/c really help when have occasional long day on my feet at work.

My nutrition question is more along the lines of fueling -
I often see people with water bottle at the pool that they drink during a swim workout. It may be just me - but I don't feel the need to hydrate while swimming. Should I be? I presume it isn't water they are drinking but rather something like one of the Hammer products. (which I have only tried a few products of and LOVE) Is this really necessary during a swim workout? At what point 2500+ swim workouts?

2008-12-31 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Happy New Year everyone!
2009-01-02 8:22 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I hope everyone had a great New Year's Day! I am looking forward to a great 2009.

Tony

2009-01-02 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1877798

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ryan90 - 2008-12-30 12:17 PM

tribesman - 2008-12-29 12:23 PM  Typically one should establish a base over a 12 week period to prepare the body for a good season. It sounds like although you have years of running under your belt, you never "really" established that base since you felt your lacked endurance. This big base is so important for your season. I believe in getting a great foundation before a lot speedwork, but you will do SOME intensity work during base. You might be fast or faster earlier, but you will also likely need that speed later in the year. It is hard to keep that speedwork up without that base. The human body can only hold peak fitness for about 7-10 days. If you want to relate it to tri, you might do a short speed session, an intermediate run of say 4-6 miles, and a longer run. Since you are targeting a marathon, your long run will be very important. The same can be said for cycling too, and even swimming. Regarding rest, many athlete's follow the 3/1 theory. This is a 3 week build with a week of recovery. Note you are still training during that recovery or "down" week, but you will need to either reduce the intensity or total training time. Also, there something said for peaking. I usually have only two "A" races a year, and they fall around May and September/October as that is how my season is set up. You build and recover and only truly peak about 2 times per season. It's just the way our body adapts to stress and is made. Your fitness gains are not during the workout, but during the recovery FROM the workout. Lastly, keep in mind that speed work is like icing on the cake...but you have to bake the cake FIRST. Does this help? Tony

yes this helps!! confirms all of my prior thoughts.

our weekly mileage once the season gets rolling was lucky to hit 20-25 miles and he left it to us to run extra after 2 hours of speed work. We were lucky if we got two distance days. Lame. Never knew about that 7-10 day peak fitness at all.

also, How long does a typical oly .9 mi swim take for the average athlete?  

Ryan,

An average swim time might be difficult to peg. I have seen a 17 minute open water swim (OWS) without a wetsuit to over an hour with one. What I might do is look at the results of a few Olys (Olympic distances races), specifically your age group, and take a look at those times. You might find it hoovers around the mid to upper 30s. A good resource for locating triathlons and results is www.trifind.com.

Thanks,
Tony
2009-01-02 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1878934

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2008-12-30 10:11 PM

Goals for 2009:
General goal: keep life in balance (family, church, work, triathlons, home)
Race goals: complete a 1/2 IM (hopefully 2) and improve on last years times in shorter distances
Daily goal: is to actually get out of bed at the planned/scheduled time. That seems to be a difficult task for me - and when I don't do that it jacks up my entire schedule.
This months goals: base train in running, swim consistently, start using trainer / riding (haven't ridden in two months - every time tried to go with group lately it has gotten cancelled)

Nutrition:
I can't say I eat horrible. I definitely don't deprive myself of what I want but I don't tend to want to much bad stuff. I have cut out Diet Coke/soft drinks since Sept 2007 with the exception of an occasional Red Bull. Something I learned from my dentist which has helped me even cut back on those things - Red Bulls are worse for your teeth than even soft drink. They significanly increase your chance of getting cavities if you don't drink water / brush teeth after drinking. Can't give up entirely though b/c really help when have occasional long day on my feet at work.

My nutrition question is more along the lines of fueling -
I often see people with water bottle at the pool that they drink during a swim workout. It may be just me - but I don't feel the need to hydrate while swimming. Should I be? I presume it isn't water they are drinking but rather something like one of the Hammer products. (which I have only tried a few products of and LOVE) Is this really necessary during a swim workout? At what point 2500+ swim workouts?

Sandy,

A good life balance is very important and a great goal to have. Getting up early can be difficult sometimes. I found that after I set my mind to doing it consistenly, it just became a habit and got easier. I also set two alarms, with the second being my phone across the room so I am forced to get up!

Regarding your pool side fuel, I do not believe it is absolutely necessary, as long as our nutrion and hydration went well prior to the swim session. I find I like to have a little water available if I am going longer than one hour or during the winter, since my aquatic center is very dry. It is a personal preference. In the past I even asked former national champions this question and most told me they never had water.

I always have water and recovery nutrition available AFTER the swim as we lose a ton of calories and sweat in the water more than most think.

Make sense?
Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-02 9:32 AM
2009-01-02 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Im not very good in the water and it took me 36min for my last oly with a wetsuit, I was one of the last ones in my age group (35-39) to get out of the water (lucky I`m beter on the bike). I always look up the last year and the year before of the specific race I will be doing to get an idea of where I should fit in. I do this for all my races.
2009-01-02 9:43 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: nutrition
I am curious to see WHAT we are eating and HOW OFTEN we are eating during the day. I will start.

I typically eat about 7 times a day. I have a very small snack with water prior to my morning session at say 4:45 or 5am. Right after my workout, I have my recovery breakfast of oatmeal with blueberries and green tea. My next snack is typically consumed at about 9-9:15am and that is usually a nutrional drink (Boost High Protein, etc...). Lunch is about 2-2.5 hours later and I try to eat chicken or turkey on whole wheat or alone. Fish is another option. I like to include a veggie and good carb, such as a sweet potato or wheat pasta. Maybe 3 hours later I eat yogart with granola or fruit and granola. As I am ending my workday and getting ready for my evening session, I usually eat a sports or Clif bar or take a gel 20 minutes prior to the workout. After my workout, I eat dinner that may look much like lunch.

I think two keys to nutrition are making an effort to make changes that you feel are needed, and planning. I will expand on all of this but would like to hear from you all. (Yes, we still have to discuss recovery nutrition too )

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-02 9:46 AM
2009-01-02 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1882559

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Subject: RE: nutrition
Wow Tony -- I thought I ate healthy but you put me to shame.

I generally start off with a nutritional bar of some kind (depending on what was on sale / flavor I'm in the mood for) in the morning before I workout, then coffee and another after I workout on my way to work. I am bad with the coffee and do go for hte sweetner and flavored creamer. I generally get hungry at some point in the late morning and have either a banana or South Beach cereal bar. Lunch is all over hte map. If I bring from home it is usually something like a turkey wrap or chicken salad - water to drink. If out to lunch there is no telling. Don't go out to lunch to often. My worst habit is forgetting ot bring lunch and then not having time to go anywhere and I end up eating yet another cereal bar. Mid afternoon - 2-3 days a week this "snack" will be a Red Bull. Dinner - your "typical" mom meals - spaghetti, chicken, roast beef... stuff like that. Don't eat desert very often. Pretty good about not snacking on crap - chips, candy...

All and all I drink a fair amount of water throughout hte day and at home that is about all I drink. My coffee (just one a day) and Red Bull (maybe 2-3/week) are my "splurges".

2009-01-02 8:29 PM

man... you guys are doing awesome on your diets....

i eat breakfeast as soon as i get out the shower.... nice big bowl of cereal.... i usually try and go with something whole grain like mini wheats but doesn't always happen. Probably 2 1/2 servings there. if not i eat oatmeal with a glass of milk.

I snack on granola bars bw meals. maybe one or two.  lunch is usually my big meal... usually pasta of some sort and bread sticks.  dinner is small usually a meat, a starch, and a veggie.  between it all I snack on fruits and after workouts i eat a banana and/or have a nestle breakfeast carnation powdered drink w/ milk.  I also tend to graze on left overs too. 

Every fri and sunday (really depends when i work) i allow myself a bag of candy (dad is diabetic so this is the only time i get candy). I eat popcorn and potato chips but I do my best to at least pick the tasty kind that's low in fats and what not.

I drink maybe zero sodas. If i do it's caffeine free sierra mist or orange or creme soda to get rid of the tickle in my throat i get from being tired and working the cold. I have had 4 sodas in the last 6 months.....

I am going to start a "Once a Day Maximum" regime when i get paid on the 15th as well. probably take a pill once every other day for now. or maybe half doses? I drink plenty of water during the day. If I don't i can feel it and take a drinksies.

Edited by ryan90 2009-01-02 8:29 PM
2009-01-03 6:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Ahhh the shame....

On friday I was too hung over to follow any diet plan so it was chips and dip, steak, berry pie with ice cream, bread etc.  NOT a good day.  Yesturday started well with my typical banana and oatmeal.  Half protein shake after workout then it all went downhill.  I still have a house full of relatives and they wanted maggianos (local awesome italian place)  Had cesar salad, no bread, fried calmari, then eggplant parm not pasta.  Dinner was 2 glasses of wine, more steak tips, more egg plant parm and brie cheese....If I was a 26 year old NFL linebacker this would be ok but for an overweight 40 year old clearly I have to keep working on it...I will start logging my food today so we will see how it goes..

2009-01-03 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran

My eating habits are different as I work 3 shifts; a different one each week. So for each of the weeks my eating pattern depends on which shift I`m on.

Day shift-(6-2) Eat brekfast at 4:35am -cereal with berries and toasts with jam, or 2 packages of oatmeal. At my first break (anywhere from 8 to 9 am) I have a bannana and homemade granola bars (which my wife makes for me are are the best). I eat lunch at 11:30 - left over diner or sandwich (tuna or lunch meat) apple, cookies (again homemade). I snack again at 1:30 another apple usually. I will snack on nut on my drive home (about 40min drive). Dinner is around 5:30 and it could be anything from chicken to pork to steak to pasta, with rice, potatoes and some sort of veggie. Then around 8:00 I will have another snack of yogert with barries.

Afternoon shift -(2-10) eat breakfast at 8:00 lunch at 12:00, snack at first break around 4:00, diner at 6:00, snack again at 9:00. Same items eaten as above.

Night shift- (10-6) eat breakfast at work at 4am, come home go to bed. eat diner with family around 5:30. snack before going to work around 9:00, eat lunch at 1200 midnight, snack again at 2:00.

then my weekends are totally different as well. So as you can see I eat all the time

2009-01-03 3:48 PM

mmm homemade granola bars sound good.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17