BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-11 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
It is always so interesting to hear what type of nutrition works well for everyone- just goes to show how important it is to play around during training. There will be lots of experimenting going on for me as I enter the tri world.

In prepping for my runs- I won't take anything with me for under 90 minutes unless the temps are up, in which case water/Nuun/Gu2O work well. I generally like to run first thing in the morning so I will rely on what's in the glycogen stores to keep me going. If it is race day, then I will have either oatmeal or PB/Banana on toast....I find oatmeal travels well as I can use the coffee maker for hot water. For longer runs over 2 hr, I will take the first Gu at 1:30 and then every 45 min. I have also tried Cliff Blocks and they have worked well for me too.

I used to have a lot more Gu before I did some reading by Greg McMillan whose theory is that we should train our bodies to not rely on carbs and glycogen stores and instead to burn fat more efficiently. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/marathonlongrun.htm for anyone who wishes to read more...it is under the heading 'Long Steady Distance' on that page. It's just one theory...

The thought of solid food while training doesn't excite me but I know that I will need to get used to something when I get into doing some longer bike rides. DH enjoys a chicken sandwich in his Special Needs bag at IM and said one year he even saw a guy pull out sushi!

What kinds of nutrition do you all use on your long bike rides?

2009-04-11 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
I'm off the trainer tomorrow whether I want to or not... the weather is suppose to be nice and I have to start hitting the roads with a 100K bike ride at the beginning of June.  It might be cold and I will probably put the bike back on but I got to start spending some time out there!
2009-04-11 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2078417

User image

Master
San Francisco
run_yc_run - 2009-04-11 3:52 PM
I used to have a lot more Gu before I did some reading by Greg McMillan whose theory is that we should train our bodies to not rely on carbs and glycogen stores and instead to burn fat more efficiently. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/marathonlongrun.htm for anyone who wishes to read more...it is under the heading 'Long Steady Distance' on that page. It's just one theory...

I have the same story...I used to be a carb fiend before and during my LSDs.  But in the last couple years, I've tried to teach myself to try to burn fat more, because for the long stuff, that'll need to be your main source of energy given that you can only absorb a few hundred calories an hour.

That being said, I crashed a bit on my 21 mile run today.  The first gu at mile 11 gave me a boost, but it lulled me into thinking I had more energy than I did and picked up the pace for awhile (in retrospect, this clearly was a mistake).  By mile 15, I needed another gu, but by mile 19 I was hurting.  Fortunately, I knew was near a shop that sold smoothies, so I popped in there and had them make me a strawberry banana smoothie and I ran with that the rest of the way.
2009-04-11 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hill bike workout today did 40 miles distance with 4000 ish total feet of climbing.  That takes it out of me.  There is still 4 feet of snow at the top of the mountain, but the roads are clear.  I am still learning about descending, something I am catious about after having found some sand on a tight corner a year ago.  Wasn't pretty, lots of blood and a totalled frame. 
2009-04-11 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2078482

User image

Master
San Francisco
Baowolf - 2009-04-11 4:42 PM Hill bike workout today did 40 miles distance with 4000 ish total feet of climbing.  That takes it out of me.  There is still 4 feet of snow at the top of the mountain, but the roads are clear.  I am still learning about descending, something I am catious about after having found some sand on a tight corner a year ago.  Wasn't pretty, lots of blood and a totalled frame. 

Wow, that's some serious hill work!  Great job Steve!
2009-04-11 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2078480

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-11 6:42 PM

I have the same story...I used to be a carb fiend before and during my LSDs.  But in the last couple years, I've tried to teach myself to try to burn fat more, because for the long stuff, that'll need to be your main source of energy given that you can only absorb a few hundred calories an hour.

That being said, I crashed a bit on my 21 mile run today.  The first gu at mile 11 gave me a boost, but it lulled me into thinking I had more energy than I did and picked up the pace for awhile (in retrospect, this clearly was a mistake).  By mile 15, I needed another gu, but by mile 19 I was hurting.  Fortunately, I knew was near a shop that sold smoothies, so I popped in there and had them make me a strawberry banana smoothie and I ran with that the rest of the way.

What you wrote, Donato, is why I don't like using Gu on runs anymore. I get huge spikes -- I go from feeling horrible and depressed and done to being super cheerful, waving at everyone, life is great, I can do this FOREVER!!!! ... and back down again once it wears off. The longer the run the harder it is to stay on top of that for me.

I've read that McMillan theory too, and I think I've started going longer w/o any nutrition... but I do always have that fear of crashing, so I have some sort of stash at the ready just in case. I can really tell when my nutrition isn't working because I go into negative thought spirals. It isn't my body that feels like it's crashing, it's my brain.

2009-04-11 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2078499

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

kkcbelle - 2009-04-11 7:02 PM
enginerd - 2009-04-11 6:42 PM

What you wrote, Donato, is why I don't like using Gu on runs anymore. I get huge spikes -- I go from feeling horrible and depressed and done to being super cheerful, waving at everyone, life is great, I can do this FOREVER!!!! ... and back down again once it wears off. The longer the run the harder it is to stay on top of that for me. I've read that McMillan theory too, and I think I've started going longer w/o any nutrition... but I do always have that fear of crashing, so I have some sort of stash at the ready just in case. I can really tell when my nutrition isn't working because I go into negative thought spirals. It isn't my body that feels like it's crashing, it's my brain.

Okay, so we know we burn fat when we are within a good LSD pace, but there is no way I can just do 13+ mile runs on what I have in my body.   If gels mess with us so bad, which makes me think gatorade would do the same, what are we suppose to be feeding ourself during long training and racing situations?  Or do I just have a foggy brain from the 12 mile run today and did not get the message from before?

2009-04-12 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2078738

User image

Master
San Francisco
crea0029 - 2009-04-11 8:04 PM

Okay, so we know we burn fat when we are within a good LSD pace, but there is no way I can just do 13+ mile runs on what I have in my body.   If gels mess with us so bad, which makes me think gatorade would do the same, what are we suppose to be feeding ourself during long training and racing situations?  Or do I just have a foggy brain from the 12 mile run today and did not get the message from before?

The problem with a gu is that it is basically simply sugars taken all in one shot.  Simple sugars get to the blood stream quickly  which can help (depending), but it doesn't last and the big spike can also cause an insulin response which can be bad.  Gatorade will be consumed over a period of time so you don't get as huge a spike.  Other nutrition with not just simple sugars (e.g. energy bar with more complex carbs, some protein and fats) might work too.

In the end, it's what Ronen said earlier, you'll need to experiment to see what works for you (e.g. just because I get a huge spike from gus, doesn't mean you will).

2009-04-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2079118

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
enginerd - 2009-04-12 7:09 AM
crea0029 - 2009-04-11 8:04 PM

The problem with a gu is that it is basically simply sugars taken all in one shot.  Simple sugars get to the blood stream quickly  which can help (depending), but it doesn't last and the big spike can also cause an insulin response which can be bad.  Gatorade will be consumed over a period of time so you don't get as huge a spike.  Other nutrition with not just simple sugars (e.g. energy bar with more complex carbs, some protein and fats) might work too.

In the end, it's what Ronen said earlier, you'll need to experiment to see what works for you (e.g. just because I get a huge spike from gus, doesn't mean you will).

I'd just add that for me, "Sport Beans" work the best. GU/other gel packs are my second choice. The disadvantage of Sport Beans is the time it takes to consume a pack - much longer than GU.

As for the bike, I met a pro triathlete once and he had energy bars broken into small chunks and "glued" them (not sure how) to the frame of his bike - such that he could eat them while riding... Personally, I have never ridden too long on the bike so, I have no experience here at all to share.

Edited by Ronen 2009-04-12 11:35 AM
2009-04-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2078738

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
crea0029 - 2009-04-11 9:04 PM

If it is something that you want to try, just like everything else, you will have to build up to this. On my long runs, I used to have a gel 15 min before going out the door and then every 45 min....when I started trying to adapt, I skipped the pre-run gel, and then waited about 1 hr until the first one. I then worked on increasing the time before taking the first gel. It did get easier but it is still important to listen to your body and what it needs.  
2009-04-12 6:19 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Hi I'm Bryan. I'm late (as always). I've known Donato many years, even when he was 25% heavier . Somehow over the years due to conservation of mass when he shrunk he gave it to me and I grew. But now due to tri's I too am shrinking, so I guess I'm giving the mass to my brother.

Donato's been a great mentor, and I'm fortunate to have direct feedback from him. I'm kinda slow sometimes and have to learn the hard way, but then the light goes on and I start "getting it." So now I use the foam roller, torture myself with The Stick almost daily, and work on my core, etc.

This is the year I do my first IM and I'm looking forward to it. No fear.

2009-04-12 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Okay so I need help everyone.  I am a fairly good swimmer.  Even with minimum time in the water and weeks off I can get in the pool and swim 1:45/ 100 yd.  I was really dedicated to my swim workouts at the beginning of my IM training program but in the past month, even more like 6 weeks, I have been slacking off and avoiding the pool.  Even with dedicated swim time, like 3-4 times in the pool, 2:30 plus time in the water a week, I never get faster and swimming thousands of yards has just gotten down right boring for me.  I use to get up at 4:30 to be at the pool by 5:00 so I could get in 45 minutes an hour in the water before I had to be at work for 7.

So I need help, inspiration, a logal reason why I need to be bored at the pool, a kick in the butt, something to get me back into the pool.  Tomorrow is 5 months till Ironman WI.  I know that I will get in the pool sometime in the summer, but I don't know what I am getting myself into and I really need to think the swim is the warm-up of the Ironman day not the thing that will ruin my energy level.  Please please help me.

2009-04-12 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2079862

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
crea0029 - 2009-04-12 7:08 PM

Okay so I need help everyone.  I am a fairly good swimmer.  Even with minimum time in the water and weeks off I can get in the pool and swim 1:45/ 100 yd.  I was really dedicated to my swim workouts at the beginning of my IM training program but in the past month, even more like 6 weeks, I have been slacking off and avoiding the pool.  Even with dedicated swim time, like 3-4 times in the pool, 2:30 plus time in the water a week, I never get faster and swimming thousands of yards has just gotten down right boring for me.  I use to get up at 4:30 to be at the pool by 5:00 so I could get in 45 minutes an hour in the water before I had to be at work for 7.

So I need help, inspiration, a logal reason why I need to be bored at the pool, a kick in the butt, something to get me back into the pool.  Tomorrow is 5 months till Ironman WI.  I know that I will get in the pool sometime in the summer, but I don't know what I am getting myself into and I really need to think the swim is the warm-up of the Ironman day not the thing that will ruin my energy level.  Please please help me.

First off, I am very envious of your swim time...it is my greatest weakness and I will be looking for insights on how to improve.

Any chance of joining a masters swim group? Either as a scheduled program or drop-in basis? Drills should help break up the monotony and might also help give the extra boost to let you see some improvement.

No doubt, the more experienced ones out there will have some words of wisdom!  
2009-04-12 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Sadly there is no master's swim team in Green Bay so that is not an option.  I use to love swimming and now it is just a chore.  It is really weird because I would give all the money in the world to avoid running and now I will go out for a 10 miler before I will think of going to the pool.
2009-04-12 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2079968

User image

Pam,
I can relate. I burned out on swimming my senior year in high school and it's taken me - as my mom generously pointed out - nearly 20 years to get back in the pool. I'd still rather go for a run, but the swimming gives my running aches a break and I'm seeing progress as I regain my feel for the water after so many years on dry land. But without progress it would just be a chore as you said. Would it help to set some swimming-specific goals, like improving a stroke you don't usually swim or signing up for a masters meet? You don't have to be on a team to compete at a masters meet, and just because you wouldn't use a stroke in a triathlon doesn't mean you can't swim it in workout to keep things interesting. Butterfly will kick your butt, and breaststroke is a surprisingly efficient way to burn calories. I've never cared much for backstroke, but some people like it Laughing
Jules
2009-04-12 10:59 PM

User image

Master
Sorry you're in a swim funk, Pam. Sometimes I really don't want to go to the pool -- but once I'm there I always feel good and enjoy it. When you swim, are you doing workouts to break things up? Drills? Challenging yourself with intervals? What about throwing on a pair of fins? I did that this last week for a kick set and had forgotten how much fun it is to ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM through the water with fins. They are great for ankle flexibility which is great for the run.

Is it your workouts that are boring you? Or everything about the water? Sometimes I google workouts just to get some ideas for different sets.

I hope we can help you turn your attitude around! I like Jules' good suggestions too!

2009-04-13 8:52 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hey Pam.  Sorry to hear about your swimming funk.  What was it about swimming that you loved?  It sounds like you currently think of it as something you "have" to do as opposed to "want" to do.  If you are somehow able to reconnect with what you loved about it so much before, that would help.  Is it something that's hard to get motivated to do, but fine once you start a workout?  Or do you also dread it while you are doing it?  Is it a time issue?
2009-04-13 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.  Let's see if I can answer some of those questions and better work out what is going on with this.  My swim plan only calls for three days a week.  I try to always do them before work which is either at 5 am or like 1 pm because I work at 7 or 3.  I use to be able to get up in the morning... now I don't want to.  I also don't like having to leave early  to go to the pool after lunch.  That is just a weak excuse.  My workouts are pre-planned according to the training plan.  They are lots of long sets (200's, 400's, 500's).  They also have the speed work, (25's, 50's, 100's at speed).  I have never felt fast swimming the speed days and that feels discouraging.  Except for some kick work and the occassional other swim set, it is mostly free swim.  I am normally okay once I get in the water and get going, but I haven't been able to get myself there.  Last year I did a master's state swim meet in Minnesota and that was great.  But we don't have anything like that in Green Bay.  I just dread the sets and yards in the water with what feels like no progress.  You would think with sticking with the workout for 2 months straight, something would get better, easier.  No such luck.  So now, instead of going to the pool I will go for a run or bike ride, where I am seeing progress as my distances are increasing and my speed to a point.  I just don't know.  I was suppose to go this morning, couldn't get myself up.  I keep hoping it is a funk and I will just get out of it soon which is why I am not pushing myself to go.

2009-04-13 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It could be worse... I have to drive 100 miles one way to get to a pool and can only make that 2 times a week.  I am a 2:00/100 swimmer and don't see that changing any time soon.  I do notice a significant difference in how I feel about swimming when I am just swimming versus doing 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 500's and just enjoy swimming.  This is best enjoyed in open water, but as it snowed last week and the daytime high is typically 50 at best, I am thinking the really close ponds/lakes (50 miles away) are still going to be too cold.  It is hard to get out of a funk, but you will need the swim endurance, even if not the speed for the long courses.  Maybe just take 1 day a week and just swim at whatever pace you feel good with and don't even count laps.  

As for going forever without any calories, I don't understand the point of that.  I can get that simple sugars are less good than complex sugars, but no sugars, I don't get.  Personally I don't spike much with gu's so taking one every 30 min for a marathon was fine.  For the bike I use Infinit with more complex sugars.  I could probably do an Oly or a half mary with no calories, but a HIM or longer um no.  On my first/only HIM so far I missed 100 cal here and there and ended up walking the last 1 mile due to not enough calories in (some races lie about what will be available on the course).  I think that your HR zone and fitness level may have more to do with whether you use more fat or less fat during the race.  I don't have any research to base going longer with no calories or more calories, but my body responds better to having calories than not.  And bonking is not so much fun, especially in a race.  If you can digest 200-300 calories per hour, that is 200-300 calories not taken out of your muscle tissue etc.  And if it is going to take me 16 hours to do an IM, that is um like 4000+/- calories that I can supplament my effort with.   

On a side note, I got a sunburn on Sunday at 8:30-10:30 am.  That does not seem fair this time of year.  Oh well, time to break out the sunscreen for all workouts again, even if it is 30/40 F during the workout (well my face isn't covered). 
2009-04-13 11:49 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Today's QOTD: how many hours of sleep do you get a night?  What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?  Does your sleep schedule differ on the weekends?
2009-04-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2080966

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
enginerd - 2009-04-13 9:49 AM Today's QOTD: how many hours of sleep do you get a night?  What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?  Does your sleep schedule differ on the weekends?

I sleep about 6 hours on weekdays, 8 hours on weekends.  I usually go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 5:20.  On weekends I usually go to bed at midnight and wake up at 8am.

2009-04-13 12:49 PM

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-13 11:49 AM

Today's QOTD: how many hours of sleep do you get a night?  What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?  Does your sleep schedule differ on the weekends?

I typically range from 6-8 hours. On mornings that I do my workout early I get less sleep. Usually I go to bed around 10 or 10:30 and fall asleep within about 15 minutes (while watching TV -- the weather forecast so I can plan outdoor rides!) whether I want to or not.

I am super seasonal -- our light changes are very dramatic from summer to winter. In the winter I can sleep until 8am! Summer I'm often up at 5:30 or 6am w/o an alarm. Generally I get up at 5:20 if I need to work out, or by 7:15 at the latest if I don't. Weekends are much the same, as I have kids and was not blessed with kids who sleep in (which is really fine, as I'm a morning person anyway).
2009-04-13 12:58 PM

User image

enginerd - 2009-04-13 12:49 PM Today's QOTD: how many hours of sleep do you get a night?  What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?  Does your sleep schedule differ on the weekends?

Usually ~ 7 hrs, going to bed at ~11 and up at 6ish. It all depends on when my 3 yr old decides to wake up, which was 5:11 this morning (brutal). Weekends, my husband and I take turns getting up with the early bird, so I'll easily sleep until 9 on Sundays.
2009-04-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2079862

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
crea0029 - 2009-04-12 6:08 PM

Pam, I think I know what you're talking about. My only advice to you is to find some company for the swim sessions. That's how I started. I got an email from a local (Tri) club member who said that she and a couple of friends are meeting twice a week for an early morning swim in a local pool. Ever since, I am swimming on regular basis. This is not to say that it is an easy thing to do, but rather helps get into the water. Prior to that, I was going to the pool once a week at most and never got much out of it. If you can join/form a large enough group of people with interest in swimming, I would imagine that a masters group could be established based on it.

Will finding some swimming company be an issue?

2009-04-13 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

enginerd - 2009-04-13 9:49 AM Today's QOTD: how many hours of sleep do you get a night?  What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up?  Does your sleep schedule differ on the weekends?

It varies from 5:30 to 8:00 hours a night. I usually go to bed at 11:00pm and wake up early 3 times a week for a masters swimming which starts at 5:30am. On other days I have early morning spin class and a run which start at 6:30am.

On weekends I can afford going later to bed as well as waking up a bit late. Also, on weekends I would usually have my longer runs and noticed that the more I sleep the night before, the better I feel during the run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27