General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-02-26 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3262258

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
21 weeks out!  Who is starting their 20 Week plan this Monday?

2011-02-26 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3373867

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
waupaca11 - 2011-02-26 7:33 PM 21 weeks out!  Who is starting their 20 Week plan this Monday?

I am doing a 22 week plan...so already started!  Which was good b/c I was getting antsy.

Is anyone doing Steelhead too???   Wondering how to work the bridge between the two.

TIA 
2011-02-26 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3373893

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2011-02-26 8:10 PM
waupaca11 - 2011-02-26 7:33 PM 21 weeks out!  Who is starting their 20 Week plan this Monday?

I am doing a 22 week plan...so already started!  Which was good b/c I was getting antsy.

Is anyone doing Steelhead too???   Wondering how to work the bridge between the two.

TIA 

Q-  I'm doing Racine & steelhead as well!  Plan is to get injured like usual.  But then race anyhow
2011-02-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3373899

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2011-02-26 8:14 PM

TIA 

Q-  I'm doing Racine & steelhead as well!  Plan is to get injured like usual.  But then race anyhow

OK, based on that, I guess my plan is to have a full mental meltdown both during training and on race day.  I can't decide if I am going to get combative and yell randomly to myself during the run or just get lost on the bike.  We'll see when it gets closer to race time.  haha. 
2011-02-27 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3373923

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2011-02-26 8:53 PM
oriolepwr - 2011-02-26 8:14 PM

TIA 

OK, based on that, I guess my plan is to have a full mental meltdown both during training and on race day.  I can't decide if I am going to get combative and yell randomly to myself during the run or just get lost on the bike.  We'll see when it gets closer to race time.  haha. 

I've already begun the full mental meltdown  for my training program!!  SO I'm rather ahead of the program.   So just to get it straight so I know how to do this.    Am I supposed to get combative with Myself??  during the run or others?  I do the opposite, I get lost on the run, and yell random things at myself while on the bike.   Weird huh!          Maybe follow that for Racine then reverse the plan for Steelhead!
2011-03-01 8:52 AM

I did this one last year too.

Several racers camped at Racine Co. Park named Cliffside a bit north of town. Clean and easy. $23 with hookup.

Neoprene booties were key. Two regular swim caps doubled were enough. I was very glad I got in the freezing water the day before so I knew what to expect..No porta potties out at the start so a lot of folks were out warming up the lake while waiting for their wave.

Bike was mostly flat with bumpy roads. It looked quite flat on google earth street view but that was quite misleading. I was pretty alarmed driving the course the day before as the back side has some notable "rollers" which we would refer to as mountainous in the flatlands where I live. They really are no big deal but it is definitely not flat as in Eagleman or BeachtoBattleship flat. I went back and got my bike and then drove back to the middle third of the course so I could ride the three or four rollers to calm the jitters. I'm a 15mph just-finisher and if I can do it anybody can.

Someone recommended I put my bike in the lowest gear before racking it as right out of T1 there is a short but steep driveway you have to get up. I was glad not to have an issue there.

There were no where near enough porta-potties on the bike and I rode for an hour or more having to like a race horse with no relief. They told us in the pre-race not to pee on the side of the road so I didn't and it sucked.

There were some pretty gusty winds the day or two before the race which could have been troubling but race day was pretty calm. A shower rolled through transition while I was out on the bike and I was glad I had left my run gear in my usual sorting trash bag.

The run was hot, the two "hills" were painful but not a big deal unlike the sun and heat. I carried a bike water bottle as I always do on the run and dumped it on my head and refilled it at the aid stations. They ran out of ice... The only part of going through the "zoo" that I can remember is a smelly dumpster.

All in all it was a great race and Racine is a fun town. I didn't make it to Frank Lloyd Wright's Johnson Wax building but I hear it is amazing.

2011-03-01 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3377059

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Slowbutnotlast - 2011-03-01 8:52 AM I did this one last year too.

Several racers camped at Racine Co. Park named Cliffside a bit north of town. Clean and easy. $23 with hookup.

Neoprene booties were key. Two regular swim caps doubled were enough. I was very glad I got in the freezing water the day before so I knew what to expect..No porta potties out at the start so a lot of folks were out warming up the lake while waiting for their wave.

Raced Racine last year as well.  I seriously thing all this super cold water talk is misleading. water was fine.  I wore sleeveless wet suit. one cap.  waded in water before my wave.  was perfect water temp as soon as I hit the first turn. 

Bike was mostly flat with bumpy roads. It looked quite flat on google earth street view but that was quite misleading. I was pretty alarmed driving the course the day before as the back side has some notable "rollers" which we would refer to as mountainous in the flatlands where I live. They really are no big deal but it is definitely not flat as in Eagleman or BeachtoBattleship flat. I went back and got my bike and then drove back to the middle third of the course so I could ride the three or four rollers to calm the jitters. I'm a 15mph just-finisher and if I can do it anybody can.

Agree  basically a flat course.  There are some rollers but this is a fast course. 

Someone recommended I put my bike in the lowest gear before racking it as right out of T1 there is a short but steep driveway you have to get up. I was glad not to have an issue there.

Good tip. you do not want to hope on bike at the mount line and then immediately have to shift to get up that crazy drive!  Saw some try and fall over

There were no where near enough porta-potties on the bike and I rode for an hour or more having to like a race horse with no relief. They told us in the pre-race not to pee on the side of the road so I didn't and it sucked.  

Pee on the bike maybe?  (ha not that I have)

There were some pretty gusty winds the day or two before the race which could have been troubling but race day was pretty calm. A shower rolled through transition while I was out on the bike and I was glad I had left my run gear in my usual sorting trash bag.

That was not just a shower.  It was a monsoon with high winds that ripped tents, signs out of the ground!   I was on the run at that point.   

The run was hot, the two "hills" were painful but not a big deal unlike the sun and heat. I carried a bike water bottle as I always do on the run and dumped it on my head and refilled it at the aid stations. They ran out of ice... The only part of going through the "zoo" that I can remember is a smelly dumpster.

Run was super hot  a broiler, I agree  the sun/humidity/heat wass the issue   The zoo is such a joke.  I saw one empty enclosure and the dumpster.  lol  but nice lake views!

All in all it was a great race and Racine is a fun town. I didn't make it to Frank Lloyd Wright's Johnson Wax building but I hear it is amazing.

Also agree   Racine was lots of fun plan on doing it every year they host it!

2011-03-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3363653

User image

Expert
Illinois
AshleighK - 2011-02-20 12:26 AM

Hi all! Been signed up for Racine for about a month now, but I'm new to BT. Looking forward to following everyone's training this year!

Hi there Anne! Let me know if you decide to go up on one of the group rides/runs for practice, maybe we can carpool. I'll do what I can considering I have to work every other weekend, and I'll also be trying to get down to Louisville for practice at least once this summer.

I'm in the full swing of training with a half mary on April 2, A full mary on April 30th (my 39th bday!), plus I'm starting to get into a regular schedule of swims and bikes to get ready for Tri season! So excited! Happy training everyone!

Ashleigh!  Right here on BT!!!  I will definitely let you know about group rides/runs!
2011-03-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3364155

User image

Expert
Illinois
AshleighK - 2011-02-20 3:32 PM Ouch, I just said the marathon was on my 39th bday. No no no, it'll be my 29th bday!

LOL, I didn't THINK you were pushing 40
2011-03-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3377171

User image

Los Angeles
That is cold water, but at least its clean!  I'll be doing my open water training in the cold and dirty Pacific.
2011-03-02 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
How is everybody's training going?  The huge piles of snow here in Michigan are starting to melt and I am watching the temp edge up a little every day.  With my 50 degree outside temp personal minimum, I still have probably 2 more months before riding outside is possible.  I am starting to get in to 75-90 min bike workouts on the trainer, so those warmer temps can't come soon enough!!  I did a spin class this morning and that was little change, although this was supposed to be a YOGA/rest day for me but I couldn't resist.  It feels SO GOOD to start the day off in a puddle of your own sweat!!

2011-03-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3380093

User image

New user

NE Illinois
guppie  With my 50 degree outside temp personal minimum,

Lightweight! If it's 35, sunny and the roads are clear, I'm out there.
2011-03-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3377171

User image

Master
Chicago
oriolepwr - 2011-03-01 9:48 AM
Slowbutnotlast - 2011-03-01 8:52 AM I did this one last year too.

Raced Racine last year as well.  I seriously thing all this super cold water talk is misleading. water was fine.  I wore sleeveless wet suit. one cap.  waded in water before my wave.  was perfect water temp as soon as I hit the first turn.  

I am a wuss...I thought it was cold, but it's definately been A LOT worse!

Agree  basically a flat course.  There are some rollers but this is a fast course. 

Good tip. you do not want to hope on bike at the mount line and then immediately have to shift to get up that crazy drive!  Saw some try and fall over

Pee on the bike maybe?  (ha not that I have)

I peed on the bike...I couldn't help it...I had to pee!

That was not just a shower.  It was a monsoon with high winds that ripped tents, signs out of the ground!   I was on the run at that point.   

OMG...I was on HWay 20 when that hit...I was avg. 19.3 mph before that hit, and I went down to around 8 and holding onto my bike for DEAR life and cars were racing by me...and the rain hurt!

Run was super hot  a broiler, I agree  the sun/humidity/heat wass the issue   The zoo is such a joke.  I saw one empty enclosure and the dumpster.  lol  but nice lake views!

Zoo...I agree...what a joke.  I REALLY struggled on the run with major stomach distress...feel free to read my race report.  Had that dumpster not smelled so bad, I may have crawled into it and hid...ha!

Also agree   Racine was lots of fun plan on doing it every year they host it!

I'm going back this year for REDEMPTION!! Yell

2011-03-05 5:42 PM

User image

New user
Chicago

Good to see that people are getting back to training.  Let's hope that we had THE LAST SNOW today in Chicago.

As the weather is turning around I plan on heading up to Racine to ride the course and have a few questions:  How is the [vehicular] traffic on the course?  Looking at google maps it looks like some of the ride course is going through the town, with some of the roads being just two-lane roads with very narrow shoulders.  Has the traffic been an issue for the training rides?  Any thoughts on best time to ride the course (early morning Saturday/Sunday?).

Also, where does everyone park up there? (at IM Wisconsin Fireman's Park is basically a camping ground for triathletes, is there something similar in Racine?)

Thanks, and happy training everyone!

2011-03-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3384291

User image

Master
Chicago
Anton84 - 2011-03-05 5:42 PM

Good to see that people are getting back to training.  Let's hope that we had THE LAST SNOW today in Chicago.

As the weather is turning around I plan on heading up to Racine to ride the course and have a few questions:  How is the [vehicular] traffic on the course?  Looking at google maps it looks like some of the ride course is going through the town, with some of the roads being just two-lane roads with very narrow shoulders.  Has the traffic been an issue for the training rides?  Any thoughts on best time to ride the course (early morning Saturday/Sunday?).

Also, where does everyone park up there? (at IM Wisconsin Fireman's Park is basically a camping ground for triathletes, is there something similar in Racine?)

Thanks, and happy training everyone!

Hey there Anton84 -

I rode the course 3 times last year and never had a problem with vehicular traffic...the cars are actually kind to you up in Racine as they have had the race up there for a number of years.  I usually rode around 8 or 9 on Saturday mornings I think.  When you get up there, you can park in the parking lot (which will be the transition area on race day) of North Beach which is at Barker and Michigan.

I plan on going up there to ride again this year...some of us were talking about getting a group together.

Welcome!
2011-03-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3384384

I'd be super interested in participating in this group ride!

2011-03-06 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

"IN"

I have unfinished business on the run course @ Racine.

Great advice all around everyone. You all sound commited and passionate.  Good luck getting back into training mode and your Spring events.  I look forward to hearing about the planned group rides.

2011-03-06 2:55 PM

Today I finished my first training week of the program and today I competed in my first Indoor Tri. It was a lot of fun and I did awesome on the swim but got beat up pretty badly in the run. I gotta get faster on the run :-( Hopefully these 20 weeks will help.

Edited by tovi 2011-03-06 2:56 PM
2011-03-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3377059

User image

Regular
Racine was my first 70.3. Water was so cold, I am use to the east side of Lake Michigan where the temps are usually in 70's by July. Bike was smooth, I agree, not enough port-a-potties! Heat was a major issue. The storm came through when I was on mile 51 of the bike, I didn't get wet but all of my gear in transition did. A sign blew right in front of me, thought a tornado was going through that's how bad it was.

Zoo? Really? The only animals I saw was those on the course! I am signed up for this year too, obvioulsy. Loved the fans on the run, I never felt alone and always someone to encourage you. I liked this run so much better then Steelhead.

Keep on training!!
2011-03-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3313430

User image

Regular
That would be terrific! I will be coming in from Michigan with 3 other racers!
2011-03-08 10:21 AM

Wow, I'm officially registered for my first HIM! I'm pumped and nervous at the same time. Due to scheduling issues I could not register for any training classes. If anyone has a good intermediate training schedule I could use please help. Thanks.

2011-03-08 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3388186

I'm doing the 20 week program from Beginner Triathlete. For Racine you should've started last week, but you still have time.

2011-03-09 12:19 PM

User image

hampshire il

i has been getting my base training in. starting a 16 week program soon.

keep me informed about the groups train rides

2011-03-09 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
I'm also doing one of the BT 20 week plans and this is week 2.  So far, so good.  I actually trained up some good base the last couple months and these first couple weeks are a bit of stepback for me, which is good recovery.  I just got my first fri of 2011 under my belt last weekend (sprint distance) while visiting my parents in California.  There is nothing quite like doing a race to really get you fired up for the season!  Now we just need to get rid of this damn snow in Wisconsin!
2011-03-13 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

Ok, trying to save some cash if possible.

Tell me NOT to book my hotel at the Knights Inn on Washington & Oaks Road.  It's $50.00 for a nights stay but I'm worried with the reviews.  And, well...how much can you trust a $50.00/nite hotel anyway.

If anyone has a good reason to not book there let me know. Or, maybe you stayed there before and it was "ok".

Thanks...

Edited by eddievolly 2011-03-13 2:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 21