General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-04-25 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3297555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread

Anyone thinking of trying a "dry run" at this during the summer (say June or July)?

I'm in CT, so it's a matter of camping out for a weekend up there and trying out the bike course and possibly a loop or two of the run.

2011-05-04 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Orlando Area
Hi everyone.  I'm signed up for the Timberman and jumping into the thread/questions.  This will also be my first HIM.  Here's my main question for those of you who have done the race and/or who know the course well:  Tri bike or Road bike?  I have both and am comfortable riding both.  I've scoped out the elevation profile and the course appears to be more than "rolling."  I live in Western PA, so I know and train on hills.  My sense is that I'm better off on a road bike, fitted with aero bars and set up as close to my tri bike as possible.  I'm thinking I want the easier climbing set up on my road bike (52/38, 25 or even a 28 large ring on the cassette) than the speed set up on the Tri bike.  I appreciate all feedback.  Thanks!   
2011-05-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3481279

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
sawpgh - 2011-05-04 9:21 AM

Hi everyone.  I'm signed up for the Timberman and jumping into the thread/questions.  This will also be my first HIM.  Here's my main question for those of you who have done the race and/or who know the course well:  Tri bike or Road bike?  I have both and am comfortable riding both.  I've scoped out the elevation profile and the course appears to be more than "rolling."  I live in Western PA, so I know and train on hills.  My sense is that I'm better off on a road bike, fitted with aero bars and set up as close to my tri bike as possible.  I'm thinking I want the easier climbing set up on my road bike (52/38, 25 or even a 28 large ring on the cassette) than the speed set up on the Tri bike.  I appreciate all feedback.  Thanks!   

I have done this race a few times and only own a road bike. My gut tells me that the tri bike would be a better fit for this race. I do not find this course to be all that rolling. There are long stretches when you can get down on your aerobars and cruise. However, if you are going to put aerobars on your road bike, you should be good to go there as well. You are likely only taking about angles in the end. If you train on hills and know the course elevation, I would just train and plan to spend lots of time resting on your aerobars. And, this is a great race!
2011-05-19 4:26 PM

New user

So this being my first HIM and first race with aid stations on the bike..can someone explain how that works exactly?  Do I bring bottles like I normally would and switch them out at stations as I go?  This probably sound so stupid, but do people actually stop or just slow down and grab?  Seems like it could get a little crazy.  Any tips for doing this as smoothly as possible?

Thanks!

Kaitlin

2011-05-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3508776

User image

Master
White Plains NY
kcrocker - 2011-05-19 5:26 PM

So this being my first HIM and first race with aid stations on the bike..can someone explain how that works exactly?  Do I bring bottles like I normally would and switch them out at stations as I go?  This probably sound so stupid, but do people actually stop or just slow down and grab?  Seems like it could get a little crazy.  Any tips for doing this as smoothly as possible?

Thanks!

Kaitlin

Yes bring bottles you don't mind tossing. As you approach an aid station, you pitch your empty bottle (they have targets over garbage cans or boxes to hit) then you grab a new bottle from a volunteer who is holding up either water or a sports drink. There are other volunteers holding up gels or bars or whatever they are offering.

2011-05-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3508776

User image

Master

Kaitlin,

Some people will stop at the bike aid stations and others will slow down and grab what they need on the fly. You will be given either water or sports drink (whatever you ask for) in a plastic bottle. When you arrive at the next aid station you discard the empty bottle and grab another. If you start out with a bottle(s) in your cage(s) make sure it is not a bottle that you want to keep. You will need to drop this bottle if you plan on grabbing and keeping a new bottle at the aid station.

I hope that helps.

2011-05-20 10:52 AM

New user

Great thank you that was very helpful.  Only about 12 weeks away now!
2011-05-23 3:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-29 12:30 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario
Just checking in again to see who else is signed up

I have been sidelined a bit due to an SI joint injury x 2 months and am starting to run again.  My swim and bike are right on target.  I injured the SI joint training for and running a 30km race so I should be OK by August.

Only a few more months left!  If anyone wants to be virtual training buddies for motivation...I'm game!

Jen     

2011-06-04 8:48 PM

PA
I wasn't sure I could get off work for this until yesterday. Fortunately, there are spots left and I was able to sign up. How's everyone's training going so far?

Bob
2011-06-04 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3532799

Champion
Northridge, California

50yearoldbaby - 2011-06-04 6:48 PM I wasn't sure I could get off work for this until yesterday. Fortunately, there are spots left and I was able to sign up. How's everyone's training going so far? Bob

I'm pretty much ready to go...not really on a specific training plan for this race (kind of always try to maintain a general half iron fitness level during the season).  Last week's totals were 100+ miles bike, 32 run and 4500 yds swim, with long sessions of 63 bike, 12 run and 2500 nonstop in the pool.  Doing a 70 mile ride with my wife tomorrow, which will give me 115 mi bike, ~30 run and 5000 yds swim for this week with longs of 70, 10.5, and 2100 (plus a half mile ocean swim on Memorial Day).  I'm not doing any races until mid-July, so just focusing on getting healthier and gradually building speed on the bike and swim over the next eight weeks or so.

Biggest challenges are deciding how to get two bikes to NH from CA (my wife and I are both racing) in a way that will work with a smallish rental car and nursing what I'm now pretty sure is a mild sports hernia through to the end of my season in late September.  Injury doesn't interfere with biking or running, but I feel it when I kick with my right leg on the swim...no sharp pain, just dull ache...kind of thing I can train and race with, but will have to take care of later in the year.

2011-06-08 3:05 PM

New user

For those who have done this race before...are there port-o-potties along the bike and run course?  Hoping my hydration strategy will be good enough that I will need one or two stops and not sure I'm hard core enough to do it "on the fly" yet!
2011-06-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3539506

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
kcrocker - 2011-06-08 4:05 PM

For those who have done this race before...are there port-o-potties along the bike and run course?  Hoping my hydration strategy will be good enough that I will need one or two stops and not sure I'm hard core enough to do it "on the fly" yet!

There are several along the course. You may have to wait a bit, but there are options. The longest delay might be standing in line before the start of the race.
2011-06-12 6:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
I can't decide between Timberman and Pumpkinman for my 2nd HIM.  I will pull the trigger this week.  When does Timberman sell out? Isn't it usually sold out by now?
2011-06-12 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3544438

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA

MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2011-06-12 6:35 AM I can't decide between Timberman and Pumpkinman for my 2nd HIM.  I will pull the trigger this week.  When does Timberman sell out? Isn't it usually sold out by now?

It's usually sold out by Jan/Feb...no idea why it's still open (if it is) but I'd make a decision pretty soon

I've been hurt for the past few months, only now just getting back into training but the injury is lingering so I might be a game-time decision.  It's been frustrating because I worked my butt off this winter and my cycling form was fantastic, now I'm kinda back to square one.  And the injury is something that's been recurring for two years now but a few different doctors ahven't been able to determine the cause/solution.  Oh well, gotta get back into training and see what kind of shape I can manage in the next two months...I've never not PR'd a race I've done for a second/third time and I don't want to start now!

2011-06-20 3:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY

Everyone's been quiet here!  9 weeks left.  How is training going for everyone?  

I am definitely getting in more training this year compared to last year.  Looking forward to it!  

And I can't believe it has not sold out yet?!  

Edited by elbi999 2011-06-20 4:00 PM

2011-06-21 11:56 AM

New user
Week 12 of a 20 week training plan, somewhat interrupted earlier this month when I took a Mediterrean cruise. (Took a run through southern France, otherwise treadmill and exercise bike in the gym onboard.)

So far, so good. I will be ready, except for the hills. We have no hills at all in Virginia Beach except for the bridges.

I'm signed up for Philly Olympic this weekend, but may avoid the traffic and hassle, and stay home to train and go to the beach. Though I feel like a total wuss backing out of a race when I'm not injured.
2011-06-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3558623

Extreme Veteran
elbi999 - 2011-06-20 4:59 PM

Everyone's been quiet here!  9 weeks left.  How is training going for everyone?  

I am definitely getting in more training this year compared to last year.  Looking forward to it!  

And I can't believe it has not sold out yet?!  

Not everyone wants to race around 2K people, plus there a tons of cheaper and great races around the same dates.

Hope training is going good for everybody!

2011-06-23 11:32 AM

Regular
Orlando Area

Elbi999 - thanks for asking!  Training is going OK here.  Timberman will be my first HIM.  I'm worried about the hills.  I lived in Pittsburgh until this week (just moved to Florida).  Lots of hills in Pitt and I got in some good rides, but I struggled on those rides.  I expect I'm looking at a 3 hour ride at the race.  The move to Florida was supposed to happen in the spring, so that it would all be out of the way when I got into the heavy HIM training.  Ooops.  I'm right in the middle of both the past two weeks.  Still managing to get in good sessions (except for this past weekend).  I'll be ready, but not as well trained as I wanted to be.  

How about you, Elbi999 - how's your training going?  Everyone else?  It would be nice to hear from some of the others who are racing.  

2011-06-27 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3558623

Pittsburgh
?

My training has been going well.  I have managed to not suffer from the injuries that plagued me last year during my HIM training and racing.  I had terrible issues with calf muscle tears. 

I currently live in Pittsburgh - which is pretty much all hills.  I have switched to a TT bike this year (Speed Concept 9.7) which I love!!!  However, it is a bit different than my road bike, so I have been spending most of my time getting used to the new bike.  Is a bit different on the hills so I am utilizing this time to really work on climbing. I will be ready by race day for sure.

I am really anxious to race, as I started training in April and will not hit my first race until July 31st.  Oh the pain of it!  Tongue out Then the Timberman and then Rev 3 in Cedar Point will round out my year until I head to Mallorca, Spain in October for a cycling tour.

Hope everyone is having a great racing season so far!  

2011-07-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3563799

sawpgh, You picked an awesome race for your first 70.3. Great for racers and spectators. Small races are fun, but getting out with 2,000 other athletes to see where you stack up is pretty cool.

I have done numerous 70.3s and a couple 140.6 and I would say this bike course is a 6.5 out of 10 for difficulty. (This will be 3rd time at T.man) I live on the seacoast in NH and don't have a lot of hills to train on, so I do a lot of low cadence/high force workouts to try and simulate hills.

Swim-
My favorite of any race I have done. Really clear and wide.

Bike -
The majority of the climbing is from miles 1-11 and then 50-56. (This is off memory)
There is 1 steep climb that I find difficult, but not killer. Its early in the ride.
5 or 6 longer climbs, but you can stay seated and spin up.
There is a long stretch of road where aerobars really pay off and you can hammer. There can be a slight headwind going out, so I would definitely go with the tri bike.

Run -
Rolling with 1 short steep climb you hit twice. Overall very fair.

As far as training goes, I am really pleased with this year so far. I haven't been putting a ton of hours in, but a lot of quality training. Tons of intervals. Enjoy the race!

2011-07-14 12:32 PM

New user

Any of you veterans to this race or HIM distance in general have any tips for the first-timers?  What do you wish you knew before your first HIM?

Thanks!

2011-07-16 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3596545

New user
I wish I had not taken so much fluid and so many ges on the bike. The first several miles of the run I had terrible intestinal cramping.
2011-07-21 8:14 AM

Expert
metro west, MA

It's July 21st. One month away! How is everyone doing?  I'm slowly feeling more and more confident with my training but still nervous as it's my first HIM.

Anyone staying at the TownPlaces Suites in Gilford?  Wondering if I could hitch a ride with someone race morning. 

2011-07-21 9:10 AM

Champion
Northridge, California
Kind of in a holding pattern with more volume than I normally would have done...did a ton of cycling in June-early July keeping my wife company while she trained for her first-ever iron distance ride, coming up at the Vineman Relay next weekend.  Wouldn't normally do three rides of 93-105 miles for an HIM, but it can't hurt.  Then I got drafted into replaced the (injured) swimmer on my wife's IM relay...so that meant quickly upping my long swim to over two miles...again, not something I'd do for HIM training.  With Boston Marathon in the mix, that means within about a 12 week period, I'd done a 26.2 mile run, 105 mile ride, and 2.05 mile swim.  Overkill much? 
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8