Other Resources Challenge Me! » February Training and Nutrition Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-02-02 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3331182

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: February Training and Nutrition Challenge
Doing good on day 2... I've had 2 bananas, a cup of apple juice and a cup of broccoli for my fruit and veggies... well over 64 ounces of water already. If I can maintain composure I can get some good points in the temptation category. I'm a BIG sweet junkie and it is king cake season so we get them often at work. And my partner's niece has been here so there's tons of donuts, cookies and cupcakes at the house. I'm staying strong so far, but I REALLY wanted one of those valentine sugar cookies.

2011-02-02 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

I just sat down to start writing down the half marathon training plan for May 22 and realized it is only 16 weeks away. It's a good thing I decided to do this now because the plan is 18 weeks long. I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment because I have yet to run more than 14(?) kilometers in one session, and it's a blizzard outside. I have been running throughout the end of fall and winter except the 3 weeks I lost to bronchitis, and I can honestly say I don't like it. I'm slow enough with dry pavement, it's so hard to move when 1/3 of each push gets lost to sliding back wards. There's also the ongoing issue of mid foot blistering that hasn't been solved, just reduced, and a small muscle in my lower leg that just won't stop complaining even with the 3 week break.

I'm not trying to woe is me on you all - I just wanted to share my currently overwhelmed state with other people who know what it's like. I don't have many athletes in my physical(?) life to talk about these things with. Maybe I should have just blogged it?
2011-02-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3335231

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mbasta - 2011-02-02 9:09 AM
QueenZipp - 2011-02-02 12:07 PM
mbasta - 2011-02-02 11:00 AM
QueenZipp - 2011-02-02 11:34 AM

I am sad....I planned on writing a 10000 post count in this forum......I have no clue where I actually wrote my milestone post......All my stars are crazy and I missed my opportunity to lament this.

Still <3 the challenge forum most of all.Kiss

Find your milestone post and send us the link!

Challenge forum is my favorite too. A mix of training/life/fun conversations. I don't feel like a fight so I stay out of tri talk, and sometimes I post in COJ but sometimes it seems like I am inturrupting because I'm not recognised there. My regional section doesn't have much going on... I love the challenge forum! I like the mentor forum too but I only have that chatting opportunity for a limited time.

I concur with COJ posts.  Feel like an intruder who is not welcome there at times!

So I'm not crazy... I thought I might be over analyzing the situation.

I agree with the COJ posting.  I don't even bother posting there.  As for the Tri Talk forum, I feel like I can hold my own over there amongst the bickering by being nice when I provide my opinion.

2011-02-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3335244

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Emmanem - 2011-02-02 9:17 AM Rock climbing class again today.  Sooo very tired now.  My hands and fingers are red and sore but it was so much fun.  Next week we are climbing blindfolded!!

Climbing blindfolded sounds like fun!!!!

2011-02-02 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3335833

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
mbasta - 2011-02-02 3:20 PM My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

I just sat down to start writing down the half marathon training plan for May 22 and realized it is only 16 weeks away. It's a good thing I decided to do this now because the plan is 18 weeks long. I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment because I have yet to run more than 14(?) kilometers in one session, and it's a blizzard outside. I have been running throughout the end of fall and winter except the 3 weeks I lost to bronchitis, and I can honestly say I don't like it. I'm slow enough with dry pavement, it's so hard to move when 1/3 of each push gets lost to sliding back wards. There's also the ongoing issue of mid foot blistering that hasn't been solved, just reduced, and a small muscle in my lower leg that just won't stop complaining even with the 3 week break.

I'm not trying to woe is me on you all - I just wanted to share my currently overwhelmed state with other people who know what it's like. I don't have many athletes in my physical(?) life to talk about these things with. Maybe I should have just blogged it?

Melissa, I have a couple of great half mary training plans that are about 13-15 weeks.  PM me your email and I will send them to you to look over.
2011-02-02 4:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
mbasta - 2011-02-02 3:20 PM My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

Melissa, I have a couple of great half mary training plans that are about 13-15 weeks.  PM me your email and I will send them to you to look over.

I did 90% OF MY TRAINING FOR MY LAST HALF MARY ON A TREADY LAST YEAR.

Edited by QueenZipp 2011-02-02 4:18 PM

2011-02-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3334925

User image

Master
Gold Coast
rnihill - 2011-02-03 12:06 AM
rh8463 - 2011-02-01 11:07 PM ....and now to the most important decision of my day. Which new shorts to order for my next fight. I think I am going to veer away from black and silver and go for green which is my favourite colour, so my 2 choices are below. Which is anyones favourite? I can't decide....

My daughter loves the one on top.  She asked if they made it in a size 6.  As in a kids size 6...

Hee hee, I think I am leaning towards the top pair too, just slightly now. Actually, they are in Thai sizes so I will be getting an XL or XXL even though I'm an 8 I guess in US sizes, so a small sould probably do for your daughter!
2011-02-02 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3335225

User image

Master
Gold Coast
QueenZipp - 2011-02-03 2:07 AM
mbasta - 2011-02-02 11:00 AM

I am sad....I planned on writing a 10000 post count in this forum......I have no clue where I actually wrote my milestone post......All my stars are crazy and I missed my opportunity to lament this.

Find your milestone post and send us the link!

Challenge forum is my favorite too. A mix of training/life/fun conversations. I don't feel like a fight so I stay out of tri talk, and sometimes I post in COJ but sometimes it seems like I am inturrupting because I'm not recognised there. My regional section doesn't have much going on... I love the challenge forum! I like the mentor forum too but I only have that chatting opportunity for a limited time.

I concur with COJ posts.  Feel like an intruder who is not welcome there at times!

x3 on this. I will persist with posting there occasionally though, until someone recognises me dammit!
I also enjoy reading the arguments in tri talk for entertainment value!

Congrats on the milestone Judi
2011-02-02 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast
mbasta - 2011-02-03 6:20 AM My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

Hey Melissa, you have 16 weeks and that is plenty of time. I know you feel overwhelmed right now but we all do sometimes. I figure if you can just keep your head down and keep going through the bad days its got to be good for you and it will make you stronger in the long run.
Just imagine how nice running is going to be when you aren't slipping about anymore. Also sorry to hear your blistering is still a problem! I know you don't have the cash to throw around on something that might not work, otherwise I would suggest you might want to try vibram sprints. They fit so closely that there is no slip to blister, also no hard parts on them to rub at all. That said, now is probably not a good time to try. Maybe after the race....
2011-02-02 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

I have a question regarding portions of fruit and veg.  I just had my main meal of the day.  As part of it I had half a cucumber, a tomato, a banana, a cup of watermelon and 18 raw peanuts.  Is that the equivalent of a serving of vegetables and a serving of fruit? (That's how I counted them yesterday)  Or is it more?  Do quantities matter?

Thanks!

2011-02-02 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast
Ok, thanks for the votes everyone. I thought there would be a clear cut winner but it did seem the guys liked the green and white and the girls liked the green/gold/black. I'm going with the slight majority and sticking with the girls. I'm embracing the flashiness of the top pair!

2011-02-02 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3335991

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
rh8463 - 2011-02-02 4:28 PM Ok, thanks for the votes everyone. I thought there would be a clear cut winner but it did seem the guys liked the green and white and the girls liked the green/gold/black. I'm going with the slight majority and sticking with the girls. I'm embracing the flashiness of the top pair!

Oops!  I was too late... I prefer the green and white ones. 

Have fun Rachel!  Smile
2011-02-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3335990

User image

Master
itziaol - 2011-02-02 5:28 PM

I have a question regarding portions of fruit and veg.  I just had my main meal of the day.  As part of it I had half a cucumber, a tomato, a banana, a cup of watermelon and 18 raw peanuts.  Is that the equivalent of a serving of vegetables and a serving of fruit? (That's how I counted them yesterday)  Or is it more?  Do quantities matter?

Thanks!

http://www.healthy-eating-made-easy.com/fruit-and-vegetable-servings.html 

Use the above website for reference as to what counts as a serving. 
2011-02-02 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Is it too late to jump into this?  Just found the forum...
2011-02-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3336075

User image

Master
astorm65 - 2011-02-02 6:24 PM Is it too late to jump into this?  Just found the forum...

Not at all!  Welcome!! 
2011-02-02 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3335990

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
itziaol - 2011-02-02 4:28 PM

Thanks!

I say the cucumber and tomato are 1 veg and the banana and watermelon are each 1 fruit.  THe reason I count the cucumber and tomato combined is that cucumber would be a "free" food with wt watchers or similar programs, it takes more cal to digest it than are in it.

2011-02-02 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3335988

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
rh8463 - 2011-02-02 5:27 PM
mbasta - 2011-02-03 6:20 AM My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

Hey Melissa, you have 16 weeks and that is plenty of time. I know you feel overwhelmed right now but we all do sometimes. I figure if you can just keep your head down and keep going through the bad days its got to be good for you and it will make you stronger in the long run.
Just imagine how nice running is going to be when you aren't slipping about anymore. Also sorry to hear your blistering is still a problem! I know you don't have the cash to throw around on something that might not work, otherwise I would suggest you might want to try vibram sprints. They fit so closely that there is no slip to blister, also no hard parts on them to rub at all. That said, now is probably not a good time to try. Maybe after the race....

I have been thinking about vibrams, but I'm not sure with the mixed reviews. My main concern is that I'm heavy, secondary concern is that I'm flat footed, both issues come up in discussion. I will look into this some more. It has to wait until spring anyway... no vibrams in winter for me!
2011-02-02 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3336113

User image

Master
Gold Coast
mbasta - 2011-02-03 8:45 AM

I have been thinking about vibrams, but I'm not sure with the mixed reviews. My main concern is that I'm heavy, secondary concern is that I'm flat footed, both issues come up in discussion. I will look into this some more. It has to wait until spring anyway... no vibrams in winter for me!

Yeah, winter would not be the best time to try them!
I'm not exactly the daintiest or lightest runner around but they have changed my running style since I started wearing them. It really is individual preference but if you can afford to try them then go for it. I would recommend the sprint model as being a better fit on the foot with the strap across. If you try them and don't like running in them then I guess worst case scenario you have a pair of shoes to walk in. hang out in the house in, whatever. I don't think anyone will deny that they are comfortable!
2011-02-02 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3336113

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
mbasta - 2011-02-02 5:45 PM

I don't think I would switch to vibrams right now.  The friends I know who are transitioning to these are taking a LONG time to transition to them.  You can't go into high volume with those shoes cause your run form will no doubt change some to more forefoot.
2011-02-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3334530

User image

Champion
Taser-World
rh8463 - 2011-02-01 11:07 PM

• ...and now to the most important decision of my day. Which new shorts to order for my next fight. I think I am going to veer away from black and silver and go for green which is my favourite colour, so my 2 choices are below. Which is anyones favourite? I can't decide....

• I like the top ones. Plus, that one gives you green AND black & silver. That way, you'll have your original black & silver included along with your favorite color. Er, I meant coloUr. LOL

2011-02-02 6:36 PM
    in reply to: #3334562

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    itziaol - 2011-02-01 11:54 PM

I’d love to join!  I’m a newbie, so I definitely belong to group one.

Thanks!

Welcome !

2011-02-02 6:37 PM
    in reply to: #3334928

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    rnihill - 2011-02-02 10:07 AM

Darn, bacon is not a vegetable...  is it?

Yep. It is. Really.

I just asked my dog. He replied that not only is bacon a vegetable, but it's one that should be served at EVERY meal.

2011-02-02 6:40 PM
    in reply to: #3336209

User image

Master
    Gold Coast
    D001 - 2011-02-03 9:37 AM
    rnihill - 2011-02-02 10:07 AM Darn, bacon is not a vegetable...  is it?
    Yep. It is. Really. I just asked my dog. He replied that not only is bacon a vegetable, but it's one that should be served at EVERY meal.

I like your dog
    2011-02-02 6:40 PM
    in reply to: #3335128

User image

Champion
    Taser-World

Your stats say this:
    Challenge Me! 5938

So you'll just have to do a 6000th Challenge Forum post.

(No, I haven't looked at my own stats. I already know what they'll tell me. LOL)

2011-02-02 6:46 PM

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    mbasta - 2011-02-02 4:20 PM

My training went well today, but I question how well I will perform in the dietary portion of this challenge.

No no, you're allowed to talk about stuff like 'training issues' here. It *is* BT, after all. LOL

I'd say that you're in good physical shape already, which is in your favor. You'll recover from the bronchitis soon. (I'm assuming you don't have something else, like asthma going on, right?) But what's up with the blistering and lower leg? Is it a shoe-related thing?

New Thread
    Other Resources Challenge Me! » February Training and Nutrition Challenge Rss Feed  

of 21