General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-05-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4210361

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread

MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-05-15 10:21 AM Thinking about joining you guys.  How does this race stack up difficulty wise compared to other IMs?

Go for it! It is hard to say in terms of difficulty and really depends on the weather. The course is dead flat, so the weather really is the unknown quantity. If there is no wind, cloud cover, low humidity, and a nice southernly swell, the course could be on the easier side. If the winds, temps, and humidity are up, you could be in for a longer day. The weather issue is true for any IM, but this is certainly one where the course itself, aside from being 140.6 total miles, is not where the greatest difficulty lies.

In my opinion, the main difficulty with this race is the late November date and the heavy training that is required in the fall in cooler weather, particularly in October and early November, then racing in a warmer climate than you have been training in over the past few months. 

2012-05-20 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

I'm out for this year. Baby on board due in December, so IM is kinda out of the question. I'm more sad about not being able to race than losing my $600, but that's life. We are excited about baby #2, though! It'll be our last. I'm thinking I'll be back in IM form for 2014.

If you're on the fence about this race, go for it!!!! This was far and away the most fun I've ever had racing at any level. I went in with multiple injuries and mono and still managed to have the time of my life. The swim was crystal clear and there was so much to look at the whole way. The bike was really challenging, in my opinion (weak cyclist) but the views were absolutely SPECTACULAR. You will never have more animated spectators and the run course is just packed with people.  I registered immediately when I got back and would have loved to race again this year.

2012-05-24 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Hey folks, debating with myself whether to pull the rigger on this one... Smile

Already doing Lake Placid but thinking about Cozumel more as a racecation - That's how I'm selling it to my wife Cool

How do you get there ? Flying to COZ or to Cancunn ? How do you go from Cancuun to Cozumel ?

Thanks and happy training all !

Edited by playmobil31 2012-05-24 9:36 AM
2012-05-25 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi again Wink

It did not take long to pull the trigger and register Cool

IMCOZ 2012, here I come Smile

See you all around there!

A little bit of background for me, started triathlon last year, did a 70.3 (Muskoka) in September 2011 and registered for IM Lake Placid for this year.

IM Cozumel will be my second IM (If everything is OK until LP).

Not targeting any time, I just want to enjoy the experience, the Cozumel crowd, the island, the vacation and have some fun for Thanksgiving Tongue out

See you soon all!

2012-05-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4226980

User image

Veteran
Georgia
playmobil31 - 2012-05-24 10:35 AM

How do you get there ? Flying to COZ or to Cancunn ? How do you go from Cancuun to Cozumel ?

Congratulations on pulling the trigger.

Flying to Cozumel is ideal, but the limited flight times and flight prices may be an issue, particuarly compared to Cancun. If you fly to Cancun, you can take a taxi or bus to Playa del Carmen - about 45 minutes - and then a ferry from PDC to Cozumel - about 45 minutes. The ferrys run about every hour on the hour. 

There is also the option to fly from Cancun to Cozumel. At one time, Mayair offered an athlete discount, but I do not see anything for this year on the website yet.

If you go the Cancun route, I would recommend reserving a taxi in advance both ways, particulalry if traveling with a bike and if  you have kids. I have used Cancun Transfers - www.cancuntransfers.com - and have been very pleased.

2012-05-25 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4228955

User image

Extreme Veteran
cwsiii - 2012-05-25 11:21 AM 

Flying to Cozumel is ideal, but the limited flight times and flight prices may be an issue, particuarly compared to Cancun. If you fly to Cancun, you can take a taxi or bus to Playa del Carmen - about 45 minutes - and then a ferry from PDC to Cozumel - about 45 minutes. The ferrys run about every hour on the hour. 

There is also the option to fly from Cancun to Cozumel. At one time, Mayair offered an athlete discount, but I do not see anything for this year on the website yet.

If you go the Cancun route, I would recommend reserving a taxi in advance both ways, particulalry if traveling with a bike and if  you have kids. I have used Cancun Transfers - www.cancuntransfers.com - and have been very pleased.

Thanks for the tip for the taxi. I'll take a look.

I check with Maya Air and they do offer 5$ off one way. It's 55$ from Cancun to Cozumel. And it is 56$ for the bike case.

Excited Laughing

Edited by playmobil31 2012-05-25 10:27 AM

2012-05-25 10:47 AM

User image

Passing along some info

A friend of mine that owns a dive op is offering 15% off diving the week before and after the IM (and 70.3) for all participants.  Name of the op is Blue XTSea.   http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

Notaffiliated with the op at all, merely a friend.  It's the op I use when I go down there, just got back Wednesday (sigh.....), they have one of the best divemasters on the island in Pedro Pablo.

2012-06-03 6:07 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I'm thinking of joining ya'll!!!

My rev3 training has been significantly derailed. As far as the swim and the bike, I'm right where I should be (for me!) However, I haven't been able to run since the end of March, am looking at another month off, and a slow return (tibial stress fracture.) Worst case scenario would be two months but the doc is thinking that in July I should be ok to work in more running.

I know rev3 (Sept 9) is still doable, but I'm not at all confident in that plan, and I'm afraid that the pressure of the race will make it really tempting to do too much too soon. So, I'm thinking of doing the rev3 70.3 (I've never done a half either - was going to do Muncie in a month but that's out!) and signing up for IMCoz. I'd have time to heal as well as work on the biomechanical crap that tends to get me injured.

It sounds like the race has gotten some really good feedback and would be a good first IM! Husband and I just have to sit down and talk finances, but we've got money hanging out in the bank and haven't taken a vacation in a year and a half, so I'm 99% sure I can sell him on it.

Any advice for training? Logistics? Places to stay? How much do condos run in the offseason? Nobody has it listed on their websites, or do they jack the prices up that week?

We'd have to fly into Cancun. There is NO good way to get to Coz from Cincy, unless one enjoys multiple loooooong layovers and expensive plane tickets. Is the van/bus/taxi transfer to the ferry a pretty seamless process? I know there's planes and charters and etc. but we're going the budget route.

My browser is full of about a million tabs' worth of Cozumel travel info!

2012-06-03 6:07 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Oh yeah, no kids to worry about either - that's part of the reason for my urgency to do an IM this year, actually; we were talking about starting a family in the near future.
2012-06-03 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4210269

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
shoot me an email at jamnkats at gmail dot com as I don't get on BT all that often.  I can't guarantee your bike's safety with anyone other than my family, however, but the person I'm thinking of I would trust highly.
2012-06-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4241481

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
runk8run - 2012-06-03 6:07 AM

I'm thinking of joining ya'll!!!

My rev3 training has been significantly derailed. As far as the swim and the bike, I'm right where I should be (for me!) However, I haven't been able to run since the end of March, am looking at another month off, and a slow return (tibial stress fracture.) Worst case scenario would be two months but the doc is thinking that in July I should be ok to work in more running.

I know rev3 (Sept 9) is still doable, but I'm not at all confident in that plan, and I'm afraid that the pressure of the race will make it really tempting to do too much too soon. So, I'm thinking of doing the rev3 70.3 (I've never done a half either - was going to do Muncie in a month but that's out!) and signing up for IMCoz. I'd have time to heal as well as work on the biomechanical crap that tends to get me injured.

It sounds like the race has gotten some really good feedback and would be a good first IM! Husband and I just have to sit down and talk finances, but we've got money hanging out in the bank and haven't taken a vacation in a year and a half, so I'm 99% sure I can sell him on it.

Any advice for training? Logistics? Places to stay? How much do condos run in the offseason? Nobody has it listed on their websites, or do they jack the prices up that week?

We'd have to fly into Cancun. There is NO good way to get to Coz from Cincy, unless one enjoys multiple loooooong layovers and expensive plane tickets. Is the van/bus/taxi transfer to the ferry a pretty seamless process? I know there's planes and charters and etc. but we're going the budget route.

My browser is full of about a million tabs' worth of Cozumel travel info!

personally, I'd stay in a house/condo rather than a hotel, but that is just me.  check the cozumel board (http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/index.php) for ideas.  The locals on that board will be on the streets cheering us on.  The crowd support is jaw-drop amazing.

the bus/taxi/ferry is pretty seamless.  Tonnes of people do it all year.

2012-06-04 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I did Cozumel in 2010 and I'm thinking of signing up again for next year.  We stayed in an all inclusive resort but when I go back I will look at a house/condo.  It is nice having everything right there in the resort but we were there for 12 days and it got boring after a few days.  My wife and I are the type of people that don't mind exploring so we went into town off the tourist path a lot and found that more of an experience than sitting at the resort the whole time. 

If you fly into Cancun I would suggest taking a taxi to Playa del Carmen.  There's nothing wrong with the bus but I preferred a taxi.  If you do take the bus the bus at the very end of the airport is the cheapest one.  If you've never been to Cancun people will try to help you with your bags but know that they expect a tip.  They will also try to get you to take a more expensive bus but keep walking to the end. 

On the swim look for the statues that are underwater.  The crowd support is amazing.  Enjoy the race everyone

2012-06-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4228971

User image

, Utah
If you decide to fly into Cancun and then take Mayair from Cancun to Cozumel reserve and pay for flying your bike in advance.  These are extremely small planes (as in your carry on bag will be in your lap) and they can only fit a few bikes.  I had no issues (I also had my receipt to make sure there were no issues) but there were people who had tickets but had not paid the bike fee in advance and they had to wait until a later flight that day that did have space for thier bike.  It worked out okay to fly into Cancun and then take Mayair from Cancun to Cozumel but I'm going direct into Cozumel this time to make the total travel time much shorter.  I'm not sure you save a lot going the Cancun/Mayair route since you have to pay for another ticket and bike fee on top of what you already paid to get into Cancun and it adds a couple hours travel time.
2012-06-24 1:06 PM

User image

Key West
About 10 of us from Key West heading down for this one. None of my buddies use BT and I just jumped back on to monitor the training (which starts for me tomorrow). Hopefully all of you will start hitting this thread since the work is now at hand. Cheers everyone, and looking forward to seeing success reports in the next 21 weeks!Mike in Key West
2012-06-24 3:32 PM

User image

Master

still in my pre-training for the race but 20 weeeks out starts soon. I am probably going to use the BT 20 week plan.

Looking at hotels I think I am going to pull the trigger on Hotel Coz.  there is an all inclusive option...is it worth it or should i just get it sans the AI package?

2012-06-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4277713

User image

sax - 2012-06-24 3:32 PM

still in my pre-training for the race but 20 weeeks out starts soon. I am probably going to use the BT 20 week plan.

Looking at hotels I think I am going to pull the trigger on Hotel Coz.  there is an all inclusive option...is it worth it or should i just get it sans the AI package?

Go without the all-inclusive package because it is best to support the local economy. People on the island love that the races are there and look forward to having us there and love to shout "Aye Ironman" to all racers.

2012-06-30 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

Started training this week after a two month vacation( knee surgery-torn meniscus). After a month I felt so good about the knee that I made plans to go out for a bike ride and run. The day before the plan ride, I hyper extended the knee. Needless to say- knee is still swollen and I have my days that it hurts. Hopefully nothing major happened with the hyperextension.

I am still planning on going to Cozumel for the race. The worst case scenario for me is going and hammering the swim and bike and walking the rest. I hope to start running come mid July if not, Aug. 1st. We'll see!

time to get busy!

Thomas

2012-07-02 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
Looking at doing the race in 2014. Thanks for all the great comments on where to stay. Sounds like a great race.
2012-07-04 2:44 PM

User image

New user

Just registered, 80% full as of today......all the way from southern Alberta Canada, so pumped can not wait.

2012-07-04 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran

welcome aboard runergirl; heal fast and be careful Thomas.

I just finished my 24 hour road bike race, went awesome for me...lasted 21 hours then it started to rain so I called it quits...I was a fraid of falling and ruining the rest of my season. Next for me is my first ultra 50miler in Sept. so Ive switched to running mode now....I`II keep my biking up and everything should fall into place for Coz.

cheers

2012-07-04 10:58 PM

User image

I just registered for Cozumel as well and am extremely excited. I just did Coeur d'Alene as my first Ironman 2 weeks ago had an absolute blast and just had to do another one this year. Looking forward to any insight that people have. Happy training everyone!!

2012-07-06 3:12 PM

New user

I´m already registred, it will be my first Ironman distance race. I´m bringing my wife for a whole week in the Meliá, so the first says she´ll be more on her own, since I´ll be focused on the race until sunday.

Anybody has any tips so she won´t get bored and hate these kind of trip (3 lonely days + 4 days with me having a blast in food, drinks and resting)? 

2012-07-15 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4297857

User image

New user

She can hang out with the rest of us "support teams"!!! Lol! I will be with runrgrl as her official mascot/cheerleader.
2012-07-16 3:03 PM

Hi all, from Dallas Texas here, bringing frau and 4 kids for this one in November.   Just wrapped up Buffalo Springs HIM......

Looking forward to it!

2012-07-18 1:43 PM

User image

New user

How is everyone doing with there training?  19 weeks out......
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16