BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-02-01 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4604690

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:31 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:09 AM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:06 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:01 AM
melbo55 - 2013-02-01 12:58 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 1:35 PM

Damn. I have been going a million miles an hour and keep telling myself that it's going to settle down soon but then I keep piling on stuff. I think I may have too many hobbies, ha.

Anyway I blame the return on the NHL for this one. I'm playing hockey next weekend. I have been dying to play and the opportunity came up. No idea how I am going to fit everything it but ... you only live once right? RIGHT?

Precisely!!  Congrats on getting to lace up the skates!

And the answer to "what do you do once you get to the top" (of the ski jumps) is not jump!!  I think it is so people can get a true feeling of exactly how high and long those suckers are and to induce butterflies in the stomach.  Just my hunch!  But seriously, (well, the first part of the statement was serious) I'd say the view from up there has to be spectacular as well.

You are right. I 100% agree with that. I'm actually a touch scared of heights yet did a lot of cliff jumping. There is a very distinct feeling when you are at the top looking over the edge.  

Cliff jumping ... like into water? or ahem BASE jumping?

I have a recurring dream where I go off a ski jump ... and it's a good dream.

Odd because I'm phobic of gggg----those things, and considerably frightened of heights attached to the ground (although those are an adrenaline rush, too).

However, my worst nightmare imaginable would be to be on a narrow, nearly imperceptibly sloping downward ledge on a very high cliff that is populated with g-g-g-those things.

I think I'd have to jump just to get rid of the feeling. I pretty much want to jump just thinking about it!

Into the water, haha good question.

that's my brother, far right

Yummy! is he the laid-back hippie-ish one?

Love me some cliff jumping. Into water not anything else ... great, a new nightmare for me ...

Speaking of nightmares and if anyone's still reading, I did indeed give Jim the boot today. I was talking to my closest guy friend on the island (who knows Jim) and he was making fun of me ... I replied, "Well, look, I did do it nicely!"

To which he said, "Indeed, if I were to be murdered in a friendly way, I am sure it would be by you." (brings back the typology characterization of ENTJs as saying, "I'm sorry you have to die.")

Hm. Now I gotta think about that. Like, Boondock Saints friendly? Leave a tip for the boatman? Must mull.

Hmmm if anyone is a laid back hippie I would say it is me. But I suppose he is second. And he is my only brother so .. yes.

Ha! Boondock saints friendly. I like that. We once attempted to make a drinking game out of that movie, simply drinking every time they said the f-word. Out of control.

Well, I am glad you kicked him out. Shoot I doubt it's that big of a deal. I'd sleep in the bushes if I were in Bali, really.

2013-02-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Seattle
ugh.now I have to get in the pool and actually start riding my bike for realz.
2013-02-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4604700

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:36 AM

Hmmm if anyone is a laid back hippie I would say it is me. But I suppose he is second. And he is my only brother so .. yes.

Ha! Boondock saints friendly. I like that. We once attempted to make a drinking game out of that movie, simply drinking every time they said the f-word. Out of control.

Well, I am glad you kicked him out. Shoot I doubt it's that big of a deal. I'd sleep in the bushes if I were in Bali, really.

I assigned that movie more than once for a Persuasive Writing class. We'd watch it in class and I'd bring pizza.

The sequel is just about the worst movie ever made, rivaling any B movie with "Killer" or "Space" or even both in the title.

ETA: bushes, been there done that! My bestest adopted brother Diamond used to crawl around and pass out under bushes ... I still have a strong tendency to pass out under shrubbery when I'm tired.

A shrubbery!

Edited by TriAya 2013-02-01 1:43 PM
2013-02-01 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4604709

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:41 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:36 AM

I assigned that movie more than once for a Persuasive Writing class. We'd watch it in class and I'd bring pizza.

The sequel is just about the worst movie ever made, rivaling any B movie with "Killer" or "Space" or even both in the title.

Yeah, I didn't even bother watching it. I just knew it would be like that. So sad! I love love love love the deleted scenes. Especially the one where their mom calls.

2013-02-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4604708

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:41 AM

YAAAAY!

You'll be surprised how much they benefit your running. Yes!

I was planning the rest of your life out for you as usual (obediently obeys) today while I was swimming ... you're going to get very, very far in marathoning for some time, then eventually (possibly around the same age) pull a legal Lance and wind up qualifying for Kona.

2013-02-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4604717

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:47 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:41 AM 

YAAAAY!

You'll be surprised how much they benefit your running. Yes!

I was planning the rest of your life out for you as usual (obediently obeys) today while I was swimming ... you're going to get very, very far in marathoning for some time, then eventually (possibly around the same age) pull a legal Lance and wind up qualifying for Kona.

Do you have to do a min of HIM to qualify for Kona? And I'm not even considering this right now I'm just curious.

2013-02-01 1:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Man there is some seriously bad advice jumping around Tri Talk today ... mostly the advice there is at least mediocre/neutral but often quite good and there are always some standout posters whenever and however they respond. Just flat-out bad responses that are more than the usual noise are actually fairly rare, which is why I supposed I noticed them today. Hm. Too tired to respond. Maybe later. Uh ... it's 4am; how did this happen again?!
2013-02-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4604724

User image

Seattle

TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:50 PM Man there is some seriously bad advice jumping around Tri Talk today ... mostly the advice there is at least mediocre/neutral but often quite good and there are always some standout posters whenever and however they respond. Just flat-out bad responses that are more than the usual noise are actually fairly rare, which is why I supposed I noticed them today. Hm. Too tired to respond. Maybe later. Uh ... it's 4am; how did this happen again?!

Serious. And of course the voices of reason are totally ignored.

2013-02-01 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4604254

User image

Master
Central Kansas
cdban66 - 2013-02-01 10:13 AM
jmkizer - 2013-02-01 9:48 AM

This week we have two -- count them TWO -- Racing Manatees!

February 2-3
Salty - Tubbs Romp to Stomp Snowshoe Race in Steven's Pass, Washington on Saturday where it should be mostly sunny with a low of 39 and high of 50
Stacey - Supa Sprint Tri on Sunday.  Stacey did not list the location of the race, however, the weather in the Perth area will be hot and sunny with a high of 99 and a low of 63.

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Kirsten - Achilles, on the mend but still no running
Darren - low back
Jonathan TX - IT band issues

In other Manatee news, Kate's graduation countdown is at 15 weeks and Jonathan AK has enrolled in a masters program.

Felicia is on deck for next week and we have a whole lotta Manatees racing the rest of the month.  Stay healthy everyone!

Wow, racing, weather, dl's and a prep for next week. Janyne is too cool.

Go Salty and Stacey!!!!

Heal Manatees, heal!!!!

Educated Manatees are happy Manatees, you both rock!!!

Yep. This is all fantastic information!

Good luck racers!

Healing vibes sent to injured athletes.

2013-02-01 1:55 PM

User image

Master

I'm going to be swimming again tonight and I'm curious about people's opinions...

I'm a slooow swimmer (about 2:30/100). Everything about swimming, besides just basics, is new to me. I've read Swim Speed Secrets (refer to it quite often) and watched a Terry Laughlin TI video. Trying to work on getting a decent pull in the water (not easy or "natural" for anyone, right?). When my DH watches me swim, he points out issues I have like swimming too flat...and I really appreciate his input!

But my main question is this...how much do you think I should let my focus "wander" away from getting the pull right? Is thinking about body roll, head position, etc. just jumbling what I need to be doing?

2013-02-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4604708

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 1:41 PM

Awesome!!

2013-02-01 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4604731

User image

Melon Presser
4agoodlife - 2013-02-02 3:55 AM

I'm going to be swimming again tonight and I'm curious about people's opinions...

I'm a slooow swimmer (about 2:30/100). Everything about swimming, besides just basics, is new to me. I've read Swim Speed Secrets (refer to it quite often) and watched a Terry Laughlin TI video. Trying to work on getting a decent pull in the water (not easy or "natural" for anyone, right?). When my DH watches me swim, he points out issues I have like swimming too flat...and I really appreciate his input!

But my main question is this...how much do you think I should let my focus "wander" away from getting the pull right? Is thinking about body roll, head position, etc. just jumbling what I need to be doing?

That's a tough question to answer. I guess the way I look at it, everything is done in order to get the pull right. No pull, no propulsion.

How long/far can you hold 2:30/100 (meters or yards?) for?

2013-02-01 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Bought a DriSuit for my iphone.  The only one of the waterproof cases that is easy to use under water. 

Would anyone like me to film their swim?     Can't play with it in the pool until Sunday.    Home today and tomorrow is a school field trip to Vanderbilt and the Parthenon.   Side benefit of having an English degree.   I get to hang out with the liberal arts crowd at school....

Also just bought a wireless apple keyboard.    It's taking a bit to get used to it but it was time to cut the cord.

It's a beautiful sunny cold day in the South.   Temps at departure tomorrow morning should be right at 20F.      Ah the Balmy mild Southern winter.      Not that it matters because in a few days temps will be in the 50's and 60's again.     Hey January is over and that is usually the extent of winter at my geographical location.

I'll run a few errands around town and the plan is to do a couple hours on the trainer.    

Edited by MadMathemagician 2013-02-01 2:29 PM
2013-02-01 2:31 PM

User image

Melon Presser

NOTE TO EVERYONE ABOUT SWIMMING

I'll try to explain it more clearly and in more detail when it's not 4am.

I dislike the term "pull" because it makes it sound like you pull the water with your arm. IMO even though most triathletes just don't swim often, far, or hard enough for that to be cause of any shoulder problems, if there is arm or shoulder strain (particularly at the acromion process ... basically, the intersection of the end of your shoulder and the top of your arm) it comes from using the arm to pull, instead of using body rotation by way of lats (most notably felt where your back meets your armpit) and obliques (those side-wall abdominal muscles just above the hips).

You roll your hip to point at the bottom of the pool in order to get your arm outstretched in front of you as far as possible for the catch (where hand meets water after above-water recovery). It's like twisting your body to reach something on a high shelf. As you anchor the arm in the water vertically (as in my avatar), instead of pulling back with the arm, you want to use body rotation (make the other hip point at the bottom of the pool) to drive the arm back. Your arm doesn't actually have to move all that much; only the angles change a bit as goes through the pull phase

The lats (latissimus dorsi) especially but also the obliques are huge trunk muscles that can generate and tolerate a lot of tension. It's a lot better to learn to "pull" by using these muscles to drive body rotation (and the arm back during the pull and outstretched forward for the catch) than it is by stressing the relatively weaker and less stable arm anatomy, muscles and joints.

2013-02-01 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4604772

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-02-01 2:31 PM

I dislike the term "pull" because it makes it sound like you pull the water with your arm. IMO even though most triathletes just don't swim often, far, or hard enough for that to be cause of any shoulder problems, if there is arm or shoulder strain (particularly at the acromion process ... basically, the intersection of the end of your shoulder and the top of your arm) it comes from using the arm to pull, instead of using body rotation by way of lats (most notably felt where your back meets your armpit) and obliques (those side-wall abdominal muscles just above the hips).

You roll your hip to point at the bottom of the pool in order to get your arm outstretched in front of you as far as possible for the catch (where hand meets water after above-water recovery). It's like twisting your body to reach something on a high shelf. As you anchor the arm in the water vertically (as in my avatar), instead of pulling back with the arm, you want to use body rotation (make the other hip point at the bottom of the pool) to drive the arm back. Your arm doesn't actually have to move all that much; only the angles change a bit as goes through the pull phase

The lats (latissimus dorsi) especially but also the obliques are huge trunk muscles that can generate and tolerate a lot of tension. It's a lot better to learn to "pull" by using these muscles to drive body rotation (and the arm back during the pull and outstretched forward for the catch) than it is by stressing the relatively weaker and less stable arm anatomy, muscles and joints.

4m? I must be pancake time!!!!!

Thanks for this though. I am definitely going to think of it when I get in the pool next.

2013-02-01 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4604736

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
KansasMom - 2013-02-01 1:01 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 1:41 PM

Awesome!!

X2

2013-02-01 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4604743

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
TriAya - 2013-02-01 12:08 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-02-02 3:55 AM

That's a tough question to answer. I guess the way I look at it, everything is done in order to get the pull right. No pull, no propulsion.

How long/far can you hold 2:30/100 (meters or yards?) for?

I would suggest focusing on one thing at a time.

#1 is balance.  You have to get balanced in the water.  When you work on balance -work on front to back AND left to right.  Front to back means your hips are high in the water.  

#2 your roll - A follow up to the "balance" focus.  This is where you can work on left to right balance

#3 your pull.  If you are balanced front to back AND left to right - you can now begin to focus on your catch and pull.  

A good pull with bad balance will mean you are working way, way to hard to move forward in the water. This can lead to overuse muscle injuries - and bad habits.

You should get very, very balanced in the water before changing your focus.  You can swim a lap and see how moving your head, pushing down with your chest, changing your kick etc all affect where your hips are in relation to the rest of your body.  When you feel balanced you have mastered balance, grab a pull buoy and then focus on your stroke.  You can then forget about your hips (the pull buoy raises them for you) and your kick and just focus on the catch and pull for a few laps.  Alternate between the 2 so you don't get too bored.  

Here are a couple of video's I like on the web that demonstrate some drills you can work on. 

Balance drill (front to back)

Balance (left to right)

Also - if you can get a video of you swimming - it would be helpful.  

I sure wish fellow Manatee's lived closer...would love to go to the pool and help out in person.    

Chad

2013-02-01 3:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
TriAya - 2013-02-01 3:31 PM

One of these days I'm going to try to consolidate your (and 'Skrat's) swimming advice to a word doc.  Good stuff!

2013-02-01 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
TriAya - 2013-02-01 12:31 PM

I like your description.  This comes pretty naturally to me, so I have never thought of it that way.  

I just want to add - Yanti is not saying not to use your arm muscles at all (right Yanti?), just that it's not the focus or primary source of power in the "pull". The entire stroke begins with the lats / obliques / rotation.  

When you change your stroke and start getting a proper catch and pull, your triceps will probably be the muscle group you feel most and they will be pretty sore the first few days.  This is a result of the arms not being used properly to begin with, so those muscles are under worked on most new swimmers.  

When they say swimming is a "total body workout", they are not lying.  When you get it down, with the kick and breathing and pulling, almost every muscle will be used.  Hamstrings, calves, quads, your core obliques and abs, lats, and of course the triceps.  That's one reason swimmers are soooo lean.  

2013-02-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4603749

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
jbwills - 2013-01-31 10:19 PM

So, I bite the bullet and registered to start my Masters Degree. Right now it will be a Masters in Management and Leadership, it should take me about 5 semesters to finish taking 2 classes per semesters. I will start my first class on Feb 11, and second class March 18. They will both be done before I leave Alaska, so no homework on the drive.

I am still kicking in the Tour of Sufferlandria, thus January is a high bike month so far. I am finding with this much riding that some of my weaker muscles are showing and getting a workout. My legs are screaming most days when I wake up. I am still getting at least 2 workouts in a day. For February I am looking at a run focus month. I am going to start a 30 runs in 30 days on February 4. Who else is streaking?? My goal is no less than 2 miles or 20 minutes a day. most will still be on the treadmill as I will have to do more runs in the morning to fit everything in the day.

My January Totals: Bike - 15h 49m 33s all trainer time, Run - 6h 57m 35s - 36.81 miles, Strength 3h. Snowshoeing - 55m. I was not able to get any swim in due to either work or the pool being closed. I will be able to get back to my Masters Swim on Saturday.

Dude - I almost forgot to respond to this.  I can barely keep up with the thread.  I'm down for streaking. 

2013-02-01 6:15 PM

User image

Master
TriAya - 2013-02-01 2:31 PM

The Three Styles of FreeStyle Swimming  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSCA_J5fP0&list=FL8H5sjD-Xe4uXl... Yanti is a proponent of the hip driven style of freestyle. 

2013-02-01 6:27 PM

User image

Master

This is my preferred video for when I teach someone the finer points of swimming.  Remember I am a sprinter with a D1 background.   To swim like Mr Thorpe in the video requires not only technique but also a fitness level not usually found in the general population.  But we are not the general population or do we want to no longer be identified with that population demographic.     We are Triathletes, and we are Manatees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-vSqlWmgs&list=FL8H5sjD-Xe4uXlvLX55qWMA&index=62

Practice does not make perfect.   Perfect practice comes closer than anything else.   Except genetics...Cool

Edited by MadMathemagician 2013-02-01 6:28 PM
2013-02-01 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
I am so lucky I have an awesome swim coach in John Van Wisse sure he dabbled in ironman but he is a 'swimmer' purely. He also has a knack with people he picks each technique error and corrects it in the way that individual relates to. He's pretty special as such I don't read much on swimming on BT as the Channel swimmers at squad say " In John We Trust". Have I mentioned he's also a hawt piglet...?
2013-02-01 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
First SIL vent coming switch off if you're not a selfish biatch like me!!!So firstly we have no hot water getting fixed Monday so to the pool fir a swim and shower. Intention 2.5km but swim and subsequent shower cut short coz she needed to go somewhere.....now I'm on BT on my phone coz she's on the computer....She is looking for a house to rent the system here is you go to the open house in a fifteen minute window usually Saturday lunchtime so someone has to take SIL to do this....not me hey??! I wouldn't mind but when we lived in Athens Greece not one member of the family (outlaws) lifted a finger to help us find work house or anything at all and his mum had four apartments ...lucky friends did help us hugely. So whining and moaning over for today......
2013-02-01 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4605057

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
MadMathemagician - 2013-02-01 4:27 PM

This is my preferred video for when I teach someone the finer points of swimming.  Remember I am a sprinter with a D1 background.   To swim like Mr Thorpe in the video requires not only technique but also a fitness level not usually found in the general population.  But we are not the general population or do we want to no longer be identified with that population demographic.     We are Triathletes, and we are Manatees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-vSqlWmgs&list=FL8H5sjD-Xe4uXlvLX55qWMA&index=62

Practice does not make perfect.   Perfect practice comes closer than anything else.   Except genetics...Cool

This is a thing of beauty....thank you sooo much for sharing it.  I truly love this video and have added this to my favorite.  Also going to watch those 3 styles of swimming.  I favor the "shoulder" driven freestyle....but that could also be because of my sprinting / competing background.  I think I have made a good transition to longer swims, but at times I still want to speed up my cadence, pull a lot harder and hold my breath for almost as long as I can.    I never teach anyone to swim that way though.. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106