BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-05-05 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4727987

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - OPEN
bdenehy - 2013-05-05 2:03 PM
kenj - 2013-05-05 6:58 AMI did my long brick yesterday. Mentally a challenge and a long morning, but it was definitely a confidence builder. Just a short run today.I am looking forward to hearing how Bill and Adam's races go. Is anyone else racing today?

My race went, well, depends on your point of view.... 3:10:25. My best long run ever, but not my best day. today all I can see is that 25 seconds between me and Boston. I know I have a lot to be grateful for and lots to be proud of in terms of improvements, but that's for tomorrow. today I'm mad and whiney. Hope you all are having good weekends.

Sorry Bill about being that close, I imagine despite how smoking fast your race was, missing by that much stings!!  Still that is smoking fast!!

2013-05-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4728041

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2013-05-05 3:31 PM
skitri - 2013-05-05 6:17 AM

DJ - I think that's an individual choice...I see so many on the TT forum who swear that you don't need extra sodium if you're taking gels, etc... I'm a very heavy sweater so I always take a salt pill /per hour on the long bikes (if it's warm). But if you can tolerate eating on the bike - then I think you'd be better off finding a good hydration with lower calories.  

Had a good training day yesterday.  3:45 on the bike with 4500+ of climbing (not my speciality)!  Then a 3 miles run averaging 9:07/per mile with my HR around 140.  Very warm here yesterday and I started to feel it on the run.  I biggest issue seems to be keeping my core temp down, not so much hydration, but my body/head starts to feel like I've been in the sun too long.  

Rest day - hubby just left for the west coast to meet with the big-wigs and figure out once and for all if we're packing up.  

Hope everyone had a good weekend racing/training!

Thanks for the recommendation actually. I take endurolytes on REALLY hot rides because I've come close to passing out from the heat. I'm not a heavy sweater as well. Wow, that's a lot of climbing! :-D Have you tried using arm coolers? How about headsweats? They're thin enough to wear under the helmet, and it will "take away" the heat from your head. Does your helmet have enough vents? My old Giro Skyla have left my head extremely hot many times, until I splurged a little bit and got Giro Atmos with bigger vents helps. On the extreme hot days, I put on my bandana to get prevent the sun from scorching my head.

You might sweat more than you think you do DJ, the humidity level where you are would have it evaporating.  I know when I was out west in a dryer climate I learned that I was still sweating as much, just didn't finish workouts with soaking wet clothes like I do here.

2013-05-05 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-05-05 6:58 AMI did my long brick yesterday. Mentally a challenge and a long morning, but it was definitely a confidence builder. Just a short run today.I am looking forward to hearing how Bill and Adam's races go. Is anyone else racing today?

My race went, well, depends on your point of view.... 3:10:25. My best long run ever, but not my best day. today all I can see is that 25 seconds between me and Boston. I know I have a lot to be grateful for and lots to be proud of in terms of improvements, but that's for tomorrow. today I'm mad and whiney. Hope you all are having good weekends.

Oops, that wasn't the post I wanted to write. Someone hit send while malnourished, and cramping. So, here goes:

Had great race! A huge PR and beautiful weather. It was a good way to end "running" season. Also, while training for it, ran my first "ultra" trail run and PR'd some shorter distances (HM and 10k). Looking forward to getting back on the bike and starting tri season with a solid run base.

2013-05-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4728072

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
bdenehy - 2013-05-05 3:03 PM

Oops, that wasn't the post I wanted to write. Someone hit send while malnourished, and cramping. So, here goes:

Had great race! A huge PR and beautiful weather. It was a good way to end "running" season. Also, while training for it, ran my first "ultra" trail run and PR'd some shorter distances (HM and 10k). Looking forward to getting back on the bike and starting tri season with a solid run base.

Oh man... that is tough to be sooooo close.  Though CONGRATS on the PR, that is an amazing time! Glad you are in better spirits about it.

2013-05-05 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4728041

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CyborgQueen - 2013-05-05 2:31 PM
skitri - 2013-05-05 6:17 AM

DJ - I think that's an individual choice...I see so many on the TT forum who swear that you don't need extra sodium if you're taking gels, etc... I'm a very heavy sweater so I always take a salt pill /per hour on the long bikes (if it's warm). But if you can tolerate eating on the bike - then I think you'd be better off finding a good hydration with lower calories.  

Had a good training day yesterday.  3:45 on the bike with 4500+ of climbing (not my speciality)!  Then a 3 miles run averaging 9:07/per mile with my HR around 140.  Very warm here yesterday and I started to feel it on the run.  I biggest issue seems to be keeping my core temp down, not so much hydration, but my body/head starts to feel like I've been in the sun too long.  

Rest day - hubby just left for the west coast to meet with the big-wigs and figure out once and for all if we're packing up.  

Hope everyone had a good weekend racing/training!

Thanks for the recommendation actually. I take endurolytes on REALLY hot rides because I've come close to passing out from the heat. I'm not a heavy sweater as well. Wow, that's a lot of climbing! :-D Have you tried using arm coolers? How about headsweats? They're thin enough to wear under the helmet, and it will "take away" the heat from your head. Does your helmet have enough vents? My old Giro Skyla have left my head extremely hot many times, until I splurged a little bit and got Giro Atmos with bigger vents helps. On the extreme hot days, I put on my bandana to get prevent the sun from scorching my head.

I just bought the Giro Atmos - it is sooo light!  Found it at REI for $80 (over 50% off) - so I had to get it!

2013-05-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4727863

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CarlaLThompson - 2013-05-05 9:35 AM

CyborgQueen - 2013-05-02 6:08 PM I'm in for third round...or fourth...lol! NAME: DJ STORY: I'm 34 living in Vegas. I started cycling in 2009, and did my first triathlon in 2010, two more and one Olympic as well as my first Half-marathon. In 2011, I did one triathlon, and focused in school and cycling, and did my second 1/2 Mary. In 2012, I graduated with honors, and did a few triathlons, and mostly cycling. For 2013 season, I have no triathlons planned, but it is possible that I'll do Irongirl, maybe one more. It's really up in the air. I do triathlons for fun. FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for almost 8 months, but been together for over 8 years. :D No kids yet, but I have 5 cats, a dog, and two bearded dragons. I was born and raised in NJ and moved to Las Vegas 5 years ago. CURRENT TRAINING: Cycling focused. I recently finished my first Century of the year (3rd Century), and I have two more coming up in the next couple weeks. I recently started to add strength training (my fault for not starting in the winter), and will remain doing strength training through the Summer and maybe add one or two more Fall Centuries. Depends. :D 2013 RACES: No races, but my "A" Century ride is San Diego Century on June 1st. WEIGHTLOSS: Ptth. still struggling to lose some of the "jello" I've got. I'm hoping that with the extra strength training I will at least look a little more toned. I've been eating better though. Lots of fruits, and substituting junk food for healthy food. I'm not 100% there yet, but my diet is way better than it was last year. I actually enjoy making smoothies! WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Supportive/cheerleader and can give good advice with bike stuff and give some of my experiences. I have not done any HIMs or IMs, but I've read up a lot on various tips that I can relay.

DJ,

Congrats on your marriage!  Has it been 8 months already???  And I did not know about the "Bearded Dragons"!!!  Yikes!

Q.  What kind of strength training do you do? Um, none at the moment - but hope to get back at it once the HIM is over. There is a really cool strength class a the gym that will work you over!

I haven't been able to adopt anything that I actually like enough to do.

Q.  Bike stuff:  Do you ride a Standard or Compact Crank? Compact - I think it is similar to DJ's - too many hills/mountains around here for anything smaller.

Q.  How can I get faster!!!!  Let me know when u find out!

~Carla

2013-05-05 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Oh, wow, Bill, you are awesome.  Congratulations on the PR.

Several years ago I had a friend focusing on qualifying for Boston.  He'd already come close twice.   He came all the way down to New Mexico to do a marathon here, and as he came into the stadium for his last lap he realized he wasn't going to make it.  So he picked up his 11 month old and jogged around the track with her, high fiving the crowd, etc.

Then after he finished he found out about the 60 second grace period, which he WOULD have made.  Oops.

I raced a 10K today and had a PR, too, by several minutes!  So maybe some of our early season consistency is starting to pay off.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, whether racing or training...

Jaime

2013-05-05 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks for the suggestions about the cassette.

I found a great deal on Amazon.  My 11-28 is on its way!

2013-05-05 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Great job Bill!  I can't ever imagine running a marathon that fast!  Take some pride in your accomplishment.

2013-05-05 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4728140

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
RunningJoke - 2013-05-05 4:43 PM

Several years ago I had a friend focusing on qualifying for Boston.  He'd already come close twice.   He came all the way down to New Mexico to do a marathon here, and as he came into the stadium for his last lap he realized he wasn't going to make it.  So he picked up his 11 month old and jogged around the track with her, high fiving the crowd, etc.

Then after he finished he found out about the 60 second grace period, which he WOULD have made.  Oops.

I raced a 10K today and had a PR, too, by several minutes!  So maybe some of our early season consistency is starting to pay off.

Jaime

Woot!!!! Congrats on the PR, 3 minutes is huge!!!!   

Not sure whether to be happy for your friend to enjoy the moment w/ his family or sad that he didnt BQ - I guess both!

2013-05-05 7:30 PM

User image

OK - Here is my bio-ish:

Story: I am 47 years old.  I have taught some form of fitness since leg warmers and thong leotards were instyle.  For you young'in, that's the early 80"s.  I currently teach outdoor fitness classes, train people for foot races of all lengths (one mile to marathons).  I am a relatively new triathlete.  I have been training during the winter-spring season for 4 years for Tri's.  I haven't done a ton of Tri's though.  Last year, I trained for the Orangeman Tri in Dana Point, CA.  Got sick the week of the race and did not compete.  I did an intermediate level training last year for the HIM, and think I overtrainined and had achilles tendonitis at the end of the training.  My training has not been very focused so far this year. I will be doing The OC TRI Olympic length in 3 weeks and have a couple sprints scheduled before the HIM in September. Most of my run training is not geared for me, but for my clients.  I have one run a week that is all for me.   The swims trainings are OK.  My speed for the run and swims are average.  However, I know nothing about cycling and suck at it.  This is a major weakness for me.  In addition to the outdoor fitness classes and runner training, I volunteer my time for many fitness based things; teach choreography for kids musicals, train kids in accumilated marathon running programs, and do cardio conditioning and speed training for my kids soccer and basketball teams through out the year.  So bottom line,  I am ready to NOT be the leader/trainer and want to follow someone elses advice and guidance.  I am really looking forward to your mentoring!

Family Status : Married 15 years with three kids - 14, 11, and 10  My 10 year old has done a tri and loves it.  It is a shame it so darn expensive to do races, because she would do more.

Current Training : My tri training really started about two weeks ago, it was sporatic prior to that.  I will follow free BT HIM 20 week program starting end of May.  I will tweek it a bit, but will follow it for the most part.

This Past Year's Races: OC Tri Olympic, and several foot races of different lengths

2013 Races: OC TRI Oly, Semper Tri Sprint, Pacific Coast TRI Sprint, Orangeman HIM, and Esprit de She Triathlon sprint

Goal: I would like to be much faster on the Bike, and improve my hill climbing. I do have a cheap bottom of the barrel road bike, but I know the engine is the only thing I can fix in this situation.  Also, I would love to get my husband back into tris.

2013-05-05 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4724660

User image

Hi Jaime,

There is the Orangeman HIM in Dana Point CA in late September.  It is challenge.  It has a 28 mile hill climb and a few mile running in the sand.  It would be great to have a partner in crime...

Rita

2013-05-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4726975

User image

2013-05-05 9:02 PM

User image

Oh, wow, Rita, that looks like a fantastic HIM.  And my sister lives in South California, it would be a great trip.

I'm going to have to think seriously about it.  One thing is that although I'm a confident swimmer, I've never swam in the ocean, and I won't have a chance to try it much before the race.  How is it in that area?  I'd also have to figure out transporting my bike, which is a little daunting, but doable. 

Decisions, decisions...

Jaime

2013-05-06 12:43 AM

Hi there I have already raced Leadman 125k last month but my A race isn't until October with potentially HIM lake stevens in July
2013-05-06 3:46 AM
in reply to: #4728575

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

hoale1985 - 2013-05-06 1:43 AM Hi there I have already raced Leadman 125k last month but my A race isn't until October with potentially HIM lake stevens in July

I have heard that Leadman is a tough race. 

What is your training plan James?

2013-05-06 3:48 AM
in reply to: #4728329

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ritakandel - 2013-05-05 8:30 PM

OK - Here is my bio-ish:

Story: I am 47 years old.  I have taught some form of fitness since leg warmers and thong leotards were instyle.  For you young'in, that's the early 80"s.  I currently teach outdoor fitness classes, train people for foot races of all lengths (one mile to marathons).  I am a relatively new triathlete.  I have been training during the winter-spring season for 4 years for Tri's.  I haven't done a ton of Tri's though.  Last year, I trained for the Orangeman Tri in Dana Point, CA.  Got sick the week of the race and did not compete.  I did an intermediate level training last year for the HIM, and think I overtrainined and had achilles tendonitis at the end of the training.  My training has not been very focused so far this year. I will be doing The OC TRI Olympic length in 3 weeks and have a couple sprints scheduled before the HIM in September. Most of my run training is not geared for me, but for my clients.  I have one run a week that is all for me.   The swims trainings are OK.  My speed for the run and swims are average.  However, I know nothing about cycling and suck at it.  This is a major weakness for me.  In addition to the outdoor fitness classes and runner training, I volunteer my time for many fitness based things; teach choreography for kids musicals, train kids in accumilated marathon running programs, and do cardio conditioning and speed training for my kids soccer and basketball teams through out the year.  So bottom line,  I am ready to NOT be the leader/trainer and want to follow someone elses advice and guidance.  I am really looking forward to your mentoring!

Family Status : Married 15 years with three kids - 14, 11, and 10  My 10 year old has done a tri and loves it.  It is a shame it so darn expensive to do races, because she would do more.

Current Training : My tri training really started about two weeks ago, it was sporatic prior to that.  I will follow free BT HIM 20 week program starting end of May.  I will tweek it a bit, but will follow it for the most part.

This Past Year's Races: OC Tri Olympic, and several foot races of different lengths

2013 Races: OC TRI Oly, Semper Tri Sprint, Pacific Coast TRI Sprint, Orangeman HIM, and Esprit de She Triathlon sprint

Goal: I would like to be much faster on the Bike, and improve my hill climbing. I do have a cheap bottom of the barrel road bike, but I know the engine is the only thing I can fix in this situation.  Also, I would love to get my husband back into tris.

I sounds like you are somewhere in the Orange County area Rita, I spend some time out in Temecula and used to spend a lot of time out there.  Lots of good cycling going on with some great routes to build climbing skill.  I would start by seeking out a weekly group ride with one of the cycling stores. 

2013-05-06 3:48 AM
in reply to: #4728351

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ritakandel - 2013-05-05 8:52 PM

Hi Ken,

Here is the Orangeman link http://goforwardracing.com/orangeman-triathlon/

Rita

Beautiful area! 

2013-05-06 3:49 AM
in reply to: #4728140

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-05-05 5:43 PM

Jaime

Congrats on the PR Jaime!!

2013-05-06 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
To Bill.. I'm glad you are now happy with your time - because its blooming brilliant. But I do understand if its not quite what you wanted. Will you have another opportunity to qualify? Or there is always next year isn't it? I've never done a race you actually had to qualify for.. it must be quite a pressure.

Today I raced in the Tees Barrage 10k. I met a friend there and we did it together and I got a pb of 1hr 06 33. This is better than last year by about 21/2 mins. I learnt from my duathlon the other week and queued early to go to the loo again and we did a warm up before the start. Which helped when we did the first k way too fast, slowed down but then managed to pick up the pace again in the last two k. Weather was bright and sunny but had a breeze so we didn't get too hot. Warmest day in uk this year so far though I think.

I'd better go get a shower..I'll tell you about the HIM I'm doing in Sept later.

Jennifer
2013-05-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4728708

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer65 - 2013-05-06 8:08 AM To Bill.. I'm glad you are now happy with your time - because its blooming brilliant. But I do understand if its not quite what you wanted. Will you have another opportunity to qualify? Or there is always next year isn't it? I've never done a race you actually had to qualify for.. it must be quite a pressure. Today I raced in the Tees Barrage 10k. I met a friend there and we did it together and I got a pb of 1hr 06 33. This is better than last year by about 21/2 mins. I learnt from my duathlon the other week and queued early to go to the loo again and we did a warm up before the start. Which helped when we did the first k way too fast, slowed down but then managed to pick up the pace again in the last two k. Weather was bright and sunny but had a breeze so we didn't get too hot. Warmest day in uk this year so far though I think. I'd better go get a shower..I'll tell you about the HIM I'm doing in Sept later. Jennifer

Great job with your race Jennifer!! Woo Hoo!  Way to go!

2013-05-06 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It's Melanoma Monday!  My wife and mother in law are both survivors of this dangerous cancer.  Please use sun screen, have any suspicious spots checked early and stay out of tanning booths!!

2013-05-06 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hey everyone,

I did it!

I set out back in January to run my HM under 2:00 and I did it. I averaged around 9:00 for miles 1-10 then I picked it up and averaged 8:40 for miles 11-13. It was a struggle at the end but I kept it together and finished strong.

I had a few down moments this winter. I was sick a few times and I felt like my training was never really "on" any any point in time. I really thought I'd be running more like a 10 min/mile this weekend but everything just seemed to come together yesterday.

I'll have a race report up in a few days! Ken thanks for leading this group.

PS - There was a great outpouring of support for Boston. It was nice to see.

2013-05-06 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Bill that's an awesome race! I can only dream.......

2013-05-06 9:22 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Mind if I go another round with the group?

NAME: Meulen/Brian

STORY: I'm 38 years old. I had an athletic background in HS/College. I played baseball, basketball and golf in HS and played golf in College. I weightlifted through College and ended up pretty bulky. That bulk turned to fluff pretty quick after that. I was basically your typical party animal kid through my twenties. I got married at 24 and continue to pack on lbs. till I was in my 30's. I ended up being north of 215 (I quit weighing after that in denial! ). At 6' 1" with a small frame I was pretty pudgy. It was about 4-5 years ago I finally said enough. I got back into the gym and started trying to lose weight. I then bought a hybrid bike to ride around the block because I was too heavy for my knees to run much. It was about 5 years ago I did my first indoor tri. I could barely swim across the pool! I met some poeple mountain biking after that and they sucked me into mtb racing for a year. The following year I came back to tri's and have been here ever since. My first outdoor (real tri) was Xterra Ft. Custer 4 years ago. I've done several since then, including Racine 70.3 2x now.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL wife Anne Marie. She's in my cornor at every event and she even does some training and racing with me. Couldn't ask for anything more!

2013 Races: I started the year with a the Palos HM pacing my dad, then going back to Ft Custer to do the Xterra again.  From there it's off to Kansas for the HIM and then Muncie for another HIM.  I'll finish off with the Naperville Sprint tri again and the USAT Nationals in Milwaukee (already qualified).  I may add a couple in there here and there.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm definitely one that struggles with weight. I just lost 10lbs to get back to 170. I'd like to be more close to 160 and possibly under this year. I've been working with a coach and he has me on a diet for the next 3months.

Edited by Meulen 2013-05-06 9:46 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63