BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2013-12-23 11:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Story: Once upon a time... Just kidding! 41 years old. Going on my 4th year of tri-sporting. Started with a friend saying "Hey, let's do an Xterra race". I said "I can't swim, but... OKAY". I'm easing my way from competitive soccer. It's just getting too hard to keep up with those whippersnappers. I can only ever get and stay fit if I'm competing for something, so I've turned to this sport to maintain my sportiness.

Family: Married FOREVER to a very patient man. We have three kids. 22 year old girl, 12 year old boy, and our little 7 year old girl, aka Mini-Blanda.

Training: Last year I took on a coach to help me make the most of what little training time I had. Before him I was all over the place and just spreading myself thin without really improving a whole lot.

2012: Was my year of learning hard lessons.

2013: Saw much improvement from zero and am much more comfortable both in the water and on the bike. Now I'm working on getting faster.

Weight loss: Uuuhhh... the summer of lounging caught up with me, and the season for eating isn't helping. I've got work to do.

Next up on the race schedule: Xterra Guam in March 2014 and my 2nd full marathon in April.

I've got a lot of work to do.

Edited by Blanda 2013-12-23 11:41 PM

2013-12-24 12:17 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-OPEN

Originally posted by Stuartap Steve I too live in Morgan Hill. It seems you are quite a bit ahead of me but would love to meet up some time. 
Stuart, that would be great to meet up. Really sorry to hear about your crashes earlier this year. Hope you get back up to speed soon. Where were you riding when you got hit?

- Steve

2013-12-24 4:30 AM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
You can count me in the bike buying dilemma with Randee and Bryan. I trained last season on a borrowed mountain bike and raced on a friend's road bike (he was suppose to race too, but then couldn't, so he let me use his bike).

Now I'm looking for a bike for this season and am waiting til after Christmas to see how much $$ I get and how much extra I can convince my wife to use I'm thinking either a good used CAAD or similar... Or I could get a cheepo bike and save up more to get a Tri bike later in the season... Still not sure... It all depends on what's available and what the Mrs. Says lol... Especially with a little one on the way.

-Nathan
2013-12-24 5:33 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by PhoenixM

And now comes my first question.

When it comes to bike training, what kind of weekly mileage increases would be best to employ (e.g. 5%, 10%, 15%, etc.)? I initially thought a 5 mile increase every week with a taper week every 6th week would work, but the numbers are climbing past the point where I'm beginning to think such improvement under this framework may be unrealistic.

P.S.: Sorry for the segue from swimming.

Bryan

I second what all the others have said, but something I have found to be helpful is to measure my increase by EITHER time OR Intensity, not distance. This way, early in the season it is a 10ish% increase in time for my long rides each week, building endurance (both in the legs and the butt... As previously mentioned) and the closer I get to the racing part of the season I hold the time steady and increase the amount of intensity by 10ish% thus being more race specific training.

-Nathan
2013-12-24 6:24 AM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

New Brunswick
Does anyone else have five year olds that were up at 5:00am wondering if today is Christmas - or is just us????

At least maybe I can get a morning workout in!!

Jon
2013-12-24 7:39 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by PhoenixM Hi Suzy. I pulled this plan off the Digital Running website. It appears to have been designed with people like me in mind. https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/

So it sounds like running is your primary goal.  Is that right? at least for the out season and Spring?

One thing I can definitely say is when I started to think about doing triathlon, I had a hard time transitioning away from running.  I would try to squeeze in rides or swims around my running plan. For me, that didn't work.  My running wasn't as good and I was totally short changing biking and swimming.  I had to get comfortable with letting my running take a back seat.

I realize this may not be your issue, but something to consider down the line.  Managing three sports was really hard for me in the beginning.  Now I love the variety.

2013-12-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: Jondpond

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Jondpond

Does anyone else have five year olds that were up at 5:00am wondering if today is Christmas - or is just us????

Jon

Too funny! Enjoy it now, I'll be lucky if I can drag my two out of bed before 11 a.m. tomorrow.
2013-12-24 8:22 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Jondpond Does anyone else have five year olds that were up at 5:00am wondering if today is Christmas - or is just us???? At least maybe I can get a morning workout in!! Jon

Enjoy it! Christmas is so much more exciting when you have the enthusiasm of little ones around. Mine are 20 and 19 so its more about having everyone home. Nothing beats the excitement of little ones around Christmas....its contagious!

2013-12-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Easy bike done. Now I have airport duty then its off to the inlaws for a couple of days. So, I'll be on the road/running around till this afternoon. Have a great day everyone. Will check in later.

If you have not posted a bio please do so....although I think we are in good shape there. 

Mary-don't forget to post your bio.....love seeing how far you have come and I suspect others will as well!

2013-12-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I cannot believe that I just slept until 9:00 a.m.!

Yesterday was a busy day...4 mile run, 1200 yard swim, stopped by the art store to get some yarn because I learned to knit over Thanksgiving break (I know, knitting, right? I actually really enjoy it and have made some lovely scarves. Perhaps Frieda needs some armrest pads or a saddle cover knitted for Christmas. LOLOL) and then saw the bloodmobile and stopped in to give a pint. My grandmother gave over 40 gallons of blood in her lifetime; I figured my giving yesterday would make her very happy. Followed that by lots of errands for things and before I knew it, it was 11:00.

I'm VERY sore today. I lifted weights for the first time in a long time on Sunday, and I'm REALLY feeling it today. I dropped something on the bathroom floor and had to ask for help to pick it up!

Stuart...I would LOVE to have suggestions for drills that I could do to work on my pull and balance in the water. I remembered the tennis ball drill yesterday while I was swimming, and rather than using tennis balls (which I didn't have), I simply made my hands into fists (and also swam with a variety of one finger, two, etc.). That was eye opening. It really affected my balance in the water not having a full palm.

I've been reading the e-book (it was free through Amazon last month) "The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming." So far what I've read is exactly what my swim coach taught me at the beginning of this season with regards to drills for roll, balance, breathing, etc. I'd love to shave a TON off my 2-2:30/100 yard slow time!
2013-12-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by SSMinnow

>

Can I ask a favor?  would people  be willing to add their name to their signature lines so we can start getting to know people a little better?

Good eye deer.

btw, Stuart, I knew you couldn't stay away

And Gregg didn't mention it (maybe he's embarrassed) but he's my tri buddy. We are in it together for the 2 big ones on my list!

Welcome all!

I got the SWIM SECRETS and FEED ZONE COOKBOOK for hannukahmis this year. Both look awesome and I can't wait to read and cook!

And with that, I'm outta here to go skiing tomorrow Be back Thursday!

be prepared to report back with what tri/fitness items YOU received as gifts!

2013-12-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

And Gregg didn't mention it (maybe he's embarrassed) but he's my tri buddy. We are in it together for the 2 big ones on my list!

Embarrassed??? Ok, maybe a little... JK

I blame you for all this.
Remember if you didn't say "hey come Bike MS" (see bio) then I could just be fat and miserable sitting on the couch eating chips and ice cream, not having to getting up at the butt crack of dawn to run and swim, spend thousands of $ on equipment and races......That's right...You're responsible for this.

Have fun skiing, no injuries OK...... You need to have a healthy race season so we can do Mt. Tremblant IM in 2015

Happy Holidays everyone.
2013-12-24 9:43 AM

, Georgia
Originally posted by SSMinnow
be prepared to report back with what tri/fitness items YOU received as gifts! :)

Gift Cards/Cash count too because we ALL know where the bling is going. ;)

Edited by PhoenixM 2013-12-24 9:56 AM
2013-12-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: greggah

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Alrighty...bio time:

HISTORY:  44 YO long time runner (like, 30 years), plus a weekend warrior in a myriad of team sports, got pretty good at beach volleyball in my 20s until we tried to play Open and then just got crushed; started gaining weight once those team sports ended into my 30s, all the "weigh" up to 227 at one point.  I finally decided that I'm gonna go ahead and do a half marathon in fall 2007.  Mission accomplished, and then I got hooked on endurance training.  My wife had done a couple of the Danskin triathlons and I was always intrigued by the multisport idea, but it took a couple of years to get me to give it a whirl  First tri in 2010 where I smoked a 3:00/100y swim split, but managed 19 mph on my hybrid and threw down a 5K PR during the race.  I was hooked.  Started training seriously to move up to the Oly distance in 2011 when all hell broke loose.  Left knee pain...went in for meniscus surgery but it was fine.  Hmm.  Went through rehab, knee didn't get better.  Then the right knee started acting up.  Then I hurt my lower back.  So I jumped in the pool and swam a lot (for me), and started a focused core strength training program.  Started jogging and cycling again in 2012, tweaked my knee in the fall and had to start all over again.  AHHHHHH!!!!!!  Beginning of this year I started a couch-to-5K program with some success, plus some swimming and biking.  Had another knee flare up back in May.  FINALLY got healthy in July and rode my bike like crazy, plus threw in some swimming and running, and ran a sprint tri in August (podium!! - lousy field but I'll take it).  Did a longer sprint tri in September, then switched to focus of getting my running back.  That focus led to three straight PRs in the 5K, 5M, and 10K distance.  Three weeks off and here I am, 98% healthy finally.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Just started Prep phase of a 24-week plan, peaking for an Oly race on May 31st, where I hope to qualify for AGN.  I think it's going to take about a 2:23-2:25 to do it, which would involve PRs at all three disciplines.  Oh, and I've never raced an Oly, either.     My training plan is essentially Daniel's Running Formula 5-to15K running plan (in Phase 1 now), with reduced Q runs, Trainer Road's 40K TT plan (doesn't start until March, so just base cycling now), plus a couple swims a week thrown in (eventually heading back to Masters).  I also religiously do my strength and core work, including Bikram yoga at least once a week.  I'm a numbers nut, so I track my TSS, etc., and use Trainer Road's virtual power.  I usually train twice a day except for my long run on Saturday, and Sunday is a day off unless I miss a bunch of stuff during the week.

FAMILY/WORK:  I'm married and have an 11 YO daughter who swims year round and now crushes me at every stroke except for maybe 50 free.  She's also done a couple of mini kids tris and is going to kick it up a notch to a super sprint with me in June.  We live in Baltimore City and I have the bonus of working out of the house, which gives me great flexibility in training but gets a little claustrophobic sometimes.  Wife works out 6 days/week, sometimes alongside me down in The Pit, which we lovingly call our house of pain where the treadmill and trainer are. 

PHILOSOPHY:  Consistency, frequency, repeat.  Having been through the injury wringer a few times now, I've noted that just getting out there and doing a little, a lot, is a whole lot more productive that doing a lot, a little.  As noted above, I'm a data junkie and I have my workouts on BT, plus most on Strava, some on TP, and then there's Trainer Road.  I'm a big Daniels fan, having had so much success in the fall utilizing his principles.

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you folks.  Merry Christmas!!!

2013-12-24 10:03 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Wow Nancy, that is a busy day.

I am really curious how you feel the next couple days after donating blood. I am over two gallons lifetime but I have been not donating lately because of how much it knocks me on my butt for days (weeks?) when it comes to training. I can do light/maintenance stuff after a donation but intervals are eye-opening. I always refer to it as reverse blood doping. Maybe I should look in to just donating plasma or platelets.

I had a really nice swim this morning. Pool was crazy. Only open from 7 to noon so everyone was trying to get in their daily swim in. Circle swimming when the paces vary from 2:30 (or more) to 1:25/100 can be quite difficult. Swimming with 75 year old women always makes me feel like a rock star but I think I splash/create a wake too much for them. Alas......
2013-12-24 10:12 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jon

My 11 year old is still pretending to believe but I think the gig is finally up in our house.

I am sure that we will still be up early tomorrow.

2013-12-24 11:24 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
There are some pretty impressive resumes in this group. Out of curiosity what is the 2013 year to date training volume for those who care to share. I'm here to start paying more attention to training rather than just "sort of" and see what happens.
My mileage:
Run: 974 kms (600 miles)
Bike: 1590 kms (1000 miles)
Swim: Did not drown.

Question 1: know I'm light, but next year will be better, care to share yours?
Question 2: Jon, why to us Canadians say mileage but measure in ams?

Nelson

Edited by ndechant 2013-12-24 11:25 AM
2013-12-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I am really curious how you feel the next couple days after donating blood. I am over two gallons lifetime but I have been not donating lately because of how much it knocks me on my butt for days (weeks?) when it comes to training. I can do light/maintenance stuff after a donation but intervals are eye-opening. I always refer to it as reverse blood doping. Maybe I should look in to just donating plasma or platelets.

Jason...I really didn't think much of how I'd feel post donation, as the last times I've donated, I definitely wasn't doing any endurance sports.

This morning I walked the dogs for about 3 miles, then changed my rear tire so I could put the bike on the trainer. My plan was 45 minutes of spinning. Got 30 minutes into it and pulled the plug. It was a rough 30 minutes. Is it because of the missing pint, the lower hemoglobin, or my limited cycling of late, or a combination of all the above?

I'm off to fight everyone at the grocery store because my husband wants mashed potatoes for dinner (now that I think about it, though, mashed potatoes sound really good to me, too!). I drink almond or coconut milk, so off I go to fight the madness for milk that will be used for one little thing. Oh the sacrifices.

2013-12-24 12:20 PM
in reply to: ndechant

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
My 2013 totals are as follows:

96,440 yards of swimming
1757 miles of biking
390 miles of running

That's the first time I've looked at those totals all year. I had no clue. I've never really paid attention to them either, just kind of went out and trained as much as I could. I did 4 races during the summer so it felt like I was always taking a few days off here or there to rest up for the race. Guess I got the miles in somewhere, although I'd really like to be a lot higher on the running for next year. Maybe if Santa can fit a treadmill down our (non-existent) chimney. I'm always amazed at the miles a lot of people on here put up.
2013-12-24 12:40 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by sdswriter

Originally posted by Stuartap Steve I too live in Morgan Hill. It seems you are quite a bit ahead of me but would love to meet up some time. 
Stuart, that would be great to meet up. Really sorry to hear about your crashes earlier this year. Hope you get back up to speed soon. Where were you riding when you got hit?

- Steve

I will send you a PM on some times that I am available to meet up and hopefully one will match your schedule.

My first hit was on Edmonson. A driver decided he wanted to turn right and didn't bother to look in the bike lane. As I said, that was really minor.

The second was up on Uvas. I was approaching Watsonville and some @*1# decided he would race around me to the stop sign. He/she cut it too close and down I went on my hip.

In neither case did the drive stop.
2013-12-24 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jon

Jon my kids are in their 30's but does my wife count???

2013-12-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Here are my totals for 2013, but they didn't start until March (when I decided to do a triathlon), and I've been a complete and total slacker since September 29th:

Swim: 30h 14m 34s - 66556.17 Yd
Bike: 91h 31m 10s - 1412 Mi
Run: 57h 19m 35s - 331.85 Mi

On a positive note for the day, I was chatting with my husband about the possibility of Augusta (GA) hosting a 140.6 in 2015. The rumor mill is currently saying both things...it's a go and it's a no. Who really knows. Regardless, I asked my husband his thoughts on my training for a full iron distance in 2015 and received his blessing. This is a huge deal since earlier this summer he was really disliking my tri training, issues that we have since worked through and found some common, happy ground with which we both can agree.

So...looks as though 2015 may include either IM Augusta (IF it happens) or IM Chattanooga (IF I can get in) or maybe IM Louisville. A friend of mine wants me to train for IM Florida with her in 2015 (she raced it this year), but ocean swims are a "No way in hell" for me. I'd be too sick to get on the bike.
2013-12-24 1:00 PM

User image

not here- mine 2 were up about 7:30, and they were sure it wasn't Christmas yet. No presents under the tree!!
2013-12-24 1:03 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

I love knitting! It's the thing that takes up my time aside from running/swimming right now. Are you on Ravelry? I'm trying to find a cool pattern for a traithlon hat.
2013-12-24 2:01 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

First time I've looked at these this year too.  Swimming volume is way down versus prior year which  might explain a lot ,  bike around the same and running slightly heavier due to an added Spring marathon.  Doubled my TRX time.  I know it's not SBR, but I love the classes I take year round and really believe they help my overall strength.

Swim 144h, 55m

Bike 224h, 31m - 3830 Miles

Run 209h 14m - 1379 Miles

TRX 78h 25m

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.