BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-01-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by firebert

Are you a Pats fan at all?  Or have you been out of MA too long...  It'd be nice to get in a majority over the Ravens fans hahahahahahahaha.

:-l ...I don't like this one bit.

2019-01-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Somehow made it to boot camp this morning even though I was out a little later than planned last night. Woke up way before my alarm so made myself get out of bed rather than try to go back to sleep. It was brutal and now I am fading. Wednesdays are my longest days and this is probably going to feel like the longest.

Had a really yummy stout last night though! Had the Left Hand Milk Stout. Perfect for the cold weather.
2019-01-16 12:08 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Love the Left Hand Milk Stout!  Was it the nitro or the regular?  Both are tasty, the nitro is just crazy smooth.

Yesterday was a planned day off for me, this afternoon is a 30 min run/walk with the fam, tomorrow I hope to get the trainer set up (if I can find all the parts after the move that is...).  Friday or Saturday will be a solo longer run, and Saturday or Sunday will be my not-so-long 'long' bike ride on the bike path (last Sunday was 19 miles).  

2019-01-16 12:24 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96

and I support the Patriots/Red Sox (blame DK (en ex bt'er) for taking me to Fenway when i visited Boston) so am up for some NFL banter 

YAY!!!!  Finally!  Been berated in this group for years for my 'sports lifestyle' choices aka supporting the teams from where I grew up

Also if memory serves, the ownership group that owns the Boston Red Sox also owns Liverpool FC.  Liverpool are my 'second' EPL team.  I won't mention my first, due to unpopularity.  In my defense I started when they were up and coming... 

Yeh, Liverpool and Red Sox are the same owner. I am guessing Man City for you, but do not mind them. I lived right by Maine Road when I was at uni in Manchester and my only nice ex g/f was a Man City fan. Also their anthem is Blue Moon: 

Image result for blue moon beer

2019-01-16 12:26 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove CBS coverage is awful. Tony Romo is dumb as a sack of hammers.

Might as well add to everyone hating me and football - I really like Tony Romo.  Ok, he tends not to shut up.  But I've learned a ton listening to him announce games.  So YES I prefer CBS covereage

Which is the coverage that makes your eyes want to bleed? I am thinking it might be Fox? Do the graphics have to be that busy?!? in the UK when (proper!) football is on you get the score in the top corner and that's your lot! 

2019-01-16 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove CBS coverage is awful. Tony Romo is dumb as a sack of hammers.

Might as well add to everyone hating me and football - I really like Tony Romo.  Ok, he tends not to shut up.  But I've learned a ton listening to him announce games.  So YES I prefer CBS covereage

Which is the coverage that makes your eyes want to bleed? I am thinking it might be Fox? Do the graphics have to be that busy?!? in the UK when (proper!) football is on you get the score in the top corner and that's your lot! 

YES!  Hate Fox coverage.  Joe Buck is the worst ever, and they use him in NFL and MLB games...

Concerning the Premier League, yes it's City for me.  My friend that got me into the PL 8 or 9 years ago (same friend that talked me into the Dopey Challenge) is a United fan, and they were definitely the 'Yankees of the Premier League' so I needed to find a team that rivaled them, and only had to look across town.  Admittedly the money situation makes them less interesting the past couple years, definitely more of a 'team of champions' than a 'champion's team'.

Edited by firebert 2019-01-16 12:38 PM

2019-01-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

YES!  Hate Fox coverage.  Joe Buck is the worst ever, and they use him in NFL and MLB games...

Btw firebert I have a confession to make i don't do celtics/bruins I knew someone who was a nuggets fan and as the logo was a rainbow flag I picked them! and i LOVE penguins! 

Related image

Edited by sappho96 2019-01-16 12:41 PM
2019-01-16 1:50 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Love the Left Hand Milk Stout!  Was it the nitro or the regular?  Both are tasty, the nitro is just crazy smooth.  

It was the nitro! So good!
2019-01-16 2:02 PM

User image

Are you a Pats fan at all?  Or have you been out of MA too long...  It'd be nice to get in a majority over the Ravens fans hahahahahahahaha.

Sox & Bruins yes, though I haven't really been following them lately. I never got into football or basketball.

I'm 45-50 minutes from Orlando proper, longer from everyone who says they live in Orlando but actually live South or West of it.  Bit of a long commute to train together but if there's any race you have locally or a cycling or running event you're interested in, keep me in mind.  My race calendar is wide open.  I'm not tri-ready just yet (been out of the pool for like a year and a half) but hope to get a Y membership going again soon to rectify that.

My season is pretty open at the moment. The only races I'm committing to are the Cocoa Beach sprint 4/14, and I really want to do the September Ft. Desoto race as my first Olympic if the red tide cooperates this year. Other than that, I'll try to do about a sprint a month; maybe two of the Cool Summer Mornings series in Clermont, and another Ft. Desoto as a sprint. I'm sort of waiting to see if theres any that my tri club want to push for a good showing.

Some of the others I'm interested in are The Dunedin Rotary Tri 4/19, & Trybee Island Sprint 5/2 (Savannah, GA)
Let me know if theres any that catch your eye, I'll try to join you or cheer you on.
2019-01-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks Riles!  I'll keep my eye out.  I'm still not even sure where to look for multipsport events, though as I understand the calendar is almost two seasons split into spring races and fall races, to avoid the summer heat.  Which of course is the opposite of MA where the 'season opener' tri is just before Memorial Day and typically qualifies as a Polar Bear Swim hahahaha.  Anyway that'll most likely put me into the fall race category, unless I can find a race that has a Duathlon option in the meanwhile.

2019-01-16 2:56 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e

It was the nitro! So good!

Not really a stout, but do any of you like Guinness?

Image result for guinness

2019-01-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida

That is so a stout!  Here in the states it gets classified as a 'dry stout' or an 'Irish stout'.  Other than color its quite different from the Russian Imperial type of stout, or oatmeal stout, or any of the others.  I LOVE Guinness though.  Got started on it in the 90s before 'craft beer' was widely a thing.  Still love to drink it.  Loads of flavor, nitro smoothness (unless you get the carbonated export stout, which I also enjoy), and low calorie also!  

At one point not all that long ago I suggested a tap line running from Dublin straight to Boston along the sea floor.  

2019-01-16 4:08 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

At one point not all that long ago I suggested a tap line running from Dublin straight to Boston along the sea floor.  

Thought there already was one?!? lol! Always love a Guinness when watching rugby in the pub

2019-01-17 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

:-l ...I don't like this one bit.

No.  Just. No.

2019-01-17 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

That is so a stout!  Here in the states it gets classified as a 'dry stout' or an 'Irish stout'.  Other than color its quite different from the Russian Imperial type of stout, or oatmeal stout, or any of the others.  I LOVE Guinness though.  Got started on it in the 90s before 'craft beer' was widely a thing.  Still love to drink it.  Loads of flavor, nitro smoothness (unless you get the carbonated export stout, which I also enjoy), and low calorie also!  

I never developed a taste for Guinness.  I mean, it's OK and I don't spit it out, but I'm not a fan. 

Now I'm 1/2 Polish so I love me some Zwieck.

2019-01-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back from infecting the Sheraton Bradley Airport (Hartford) for three days.  LOL  Still haven't worked out in almost three weeks.  Definitely on the mend so that's good.  Was debating a short trainer ride to loosen my legs but I figured it would be:

10' lightheaded WU
5' X cough out right lung
2' trying to breathe, 4 x blow nose
5' X cough out left lung
5' cool down and get the chills

So, I'll wait until tomorrow. 

Good to see some new faces - welcome to those I haven't already.  Did have a couple of Long Trail IPAs up in CT with dinner (note:  my appetite has not diminished one bit so I'm rapidly gaining weight), so I can't be that sick.

2019-01-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike - glad you're finally on the mend!  Long Trail is a classic Vermont beer, been in the craft game a long time and they never disappoint.

2019-01-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Having a bit of a rough couple days.  A good friend/mentor/personal trainer/running coach/general badass passed away yesterday afternoon.  I've known her for a decade, and she was a cancer survivor already when we met, which was to coach me on my running form and do strength training with me, back when I was really trying to get a handle on the running/injury cycle.  You would never have known, even when she was going through treatment for relapses, or recovering from abdominal surgeries for the same, she was still teaching her small group training classes and full of energy ready to kick all of our . To people who didn't know her I would describe her as 'in her 50s, about 5'9", could stop a moving truck with her bare hands".  I stuck with her for my whole endurance sport journey - from just running through all of my tri career.  

Once I found out yesterday I went for a run, and at one point stopped and nearly broke down on the sidewalk.  She'd have yelled at me for that haha.  "Keep going, what are you stopping for?"  Today, I've taken off work.  Going to make some adjustments and tune my bike, and head out for a ride and celebrate life a bit in her honor.  

Cancer sucks, is what it does.  If it can take someone that fit and that strong, and just deteriorate so quickly from survivor to gone...  Just reminds me to tell people I love them, and to do my workouts not as a chore but as a privilege.  I always try to remind myself that when I'm in a workout and it's tough - try and smile because you get to do this.  Do it because you can.

Have a good day everyone, thanks for reading.

2019-01-17 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Having a bit of a rough couple days.  A good friend/mentor/personal trainer/running coach/general badass passed away yesterday afternoon.  I've known her for a decade, and she was a cancer survivor already when we met, which was to coach me on my running form and do strength training with me, back when I was really trying to get a handle on the running/injury cycle.  You would never have known, even when she was going through treatment for relapses, or recovering from abdominal surgeries for the same, she was still teaching her small group training classes and full of energy ready to kick all of our . To people who didn't know her I would describe her as 'in her 50s, about 5'9", could stop a moving truck with her bare hands".  I stuck with her for my whole endurance sport journey - from just running through all of my tri career.  

Once I found out yesterday I went for a run, and at one point stopped and nearly broke down on the sidewalk.  She'd have yelled at me for that haha.  "Keep going, what are you stopping for?"  Today, I've taken off work.  Going to make some adjustments and tune my bike, and head out for a ride and celebrate life a bit in her honor.  

Cancer sucks, is what it does.  If it can take someone that fit and that strong, and just deteriorate so quickly from survivor to gone...  Just reminds me to tell people I love them, and to do my workouts not as a chore but as a privilege.  I always try to remind myself that when I'm in a workout and it's tough - try and smile because you get to do this.  Do it because you can.

Have a good day everyone, thanks for reading.

Gosh - really sorry for your loss, John.  Sounds like an amazing woman.  And good words from you, too.

2019-01-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5253131

I'm sorry to hear about your friend John, keep your head up!
2019-01-17 5:08 PM

User image

Just reminds me to tell people I love them, and to do my workouts not as a chore but as a privilege. I always try to remind myself that when I'm in a workout and it's tough - try and smile because you get to do this. Do it because you can.

I'm sorry for your loss. Obviously I didn't know her but from how you describe her, I'd say the quote above is the way she'd want to be honored. Use her memory as a catalyst to make yourself & the world around you better.

2019-01-17 5:14 PM
in reply to: #5254133

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
John—so sorry to hear about your loss. Cancer sucks
2019-01-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: #5254147

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Stir crazy here...but my wife finally convinced (i.e., forced) me to go to the doctor. Two ear infections and a sinus infection diagnosis later, I finally know why I've felt like crap for two weeks. Meds on board now and feeling much better! Coach put an easy spin on the calendar for tomorrow. I'm anxiously awaiting that!
2019-01-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
First up, John I'm sorry to hear about your loss, kind of puts everything in perspective doesn't it. Kia Kaha (kiwi for stay strong)

Gretchen, sucks that you're sick. But at least it's diagnosed. so you will be on the mend again soon.

Guinness? Personally I'm not a fan, I have had a few pints in my time, but would not be something I choose from an open bar. That said I've never been to Ireland, and I have been told by some Irish mates that Guinness we get here is nothing like what they get at home. So if I ever make it, I'll be sure to have another try.

Me, Away again for work, so a couple of enforced days off. But I've still run 3 out of 5 days so far. And have a long run followed by coffee, bacon and eggs scheduled for Saturday morning. So should end up as a reasonably solid week.

My swimming bag has made it back into my car, but unfortunately has not yet been used. But moving it from the closet to the car is a big step

And very exciting... I've just ordered a single speed commuter bike, which should arrive middle of next week, so can't wait to do some bike commutes.

Have a good weekend every one.
2019-01-17 10:11 PM
in reply to: #5254148

User image

, Vermont
John, so sorry for your loss! She sounds amazing and clearly made an impact on your life and probably many others. Can’t wait to hug my family when I see them again.

Gretchen, I’m glad you finally went to the doctor. Hopefully the meds put a quick dent in it.
Mike, how are you doing? Any better at this point?

John, Pats fan here! Sox too and I worked for the Celtics back in the Bird, Parish, McHale days.

Welcome to the newcomers!!

Only a 3 mile run this week but good news, it looks like they’re giving a few of us a month off due to backups in training! So after class tomorrow I’m heading home (hopefully) to bask in the 24” of snow we’re due to get this weekend!! Woohoo!! I hope to use the month to get ahead on studies but also get more of a consistent base workout going before I come back.
I found a gym just a few buildings down that will work a 2 month membership for me and they have a tri group! They do monthly mini tri’s! I hope to be back in time for the March tri and I’m not in testing when it happens! So cool!
Oh! Bell’s Two Hearted Ale has been gracing my fridge this week! Yum!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8361 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa