Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-01-25 5:37 PM
in reply to: #667305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
I don't think I really have much of value to add to this discussion, but I have been wondering some of these things. Especially on the water. I hear a lot of discussions about how many calories per hour to consume, but not many about how much water to consume. I am just now getting to the point of having my workouts be long enough that I really need to worry about taking in calories or water during my workouts and have not even started to think about electrolytes yet. I am having a hard time figuring out the water - what is needed to prevent dehydration vs. what is too much and just sort of sloshes around in my stomach and makes me have to pee every 15 minutes.

2007-01-25 8:54 PM
in reply to: #668302

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Mandy, these are issues we all have to deal with and learn from experience.  One thing to remember (or realize as I did recently) is that you can't replace all of the calories and water your body uses during exercise.  The goal of a nutrition plan is to delay fatigue as long as possible.  Your body can efficiently process and absorb about 200 to 400 calories per hour and about 17 to 25 ounces of water per hour.  Of coarse, these are average numbers.  You have to experiment to find the right amounts for your body. 

Here are some more guidelines to get you started:

• Consume 2 calories per pound of body weight per hour
  • Consume 20 oz of water per 150 pounds of body weight
  • Consume 600 mg of sodium (electrolytes) per 150 pounds of body weight (add up the sodium from all sources i.e. gels, drinks, bars).

In triathlon, most of the nutrition is consumed on the bike.  Once on the run I usually consume less than I did on the bike because I don't want the stuff sloshing around in my stomach.

There are many things that effect how much you should drink - temperature, intensity of the workout, duration of the workout, etc.  You have to experiment with your hydration plan to find out what works best for you.  Try different drinks; different amounts, different time intervals for drinking. 

For workouts less than an hour, you may not need to drink at all or maybe just a little water.  For longer workouts and especially 2+ hours, you need water and electrolytes (sports drink like Gatorade). 

TJ

2007-01-25 9:07 PM
in reply to: #667949

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I've done the sweat test.  It's amazing how much weight you lose during a hard training day.  The test does give you a good baseline to start with.  But, as you say, you still have to experiment since this is athlete specific.  You have to determine how much you can drink and how much your body can process - drink too much and it sits in your stomach and/or you pee often; too little and you dehydrate. 

TJ 

2007-01-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #667320

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I haven't tried Clif Shots.  I use GU and Perpetuem.  That seems to work well for me. 

200 to 400 cal/hr is the range your body can digest during exercise.  You have to experiment to find your ideal amount.  Here is what I do for HIM and IM distance on the bike:

• ~300 calories/hour from GU, Perpetuem and Cliff Bar (not a whole bar, just a bite)
  • 20 oz water with Nuun disolved in it / hour
  • All of this gives me about 600 mg of Na / hour

On the run I cut it back to about 200 cal/hour - basically 1 Gu and a couple cups of Gatorade / hour.

TJ

2007-01-26 3:08 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Agree with Tommy as he brings some really good points on this topic. Definately practice with the amount of calories and the type of products as some may give you gi distress/stomach issues. I tried perp, but it seemed to give me "gas" after I was done exercising... never during it (used in training on my long days). Due to this, during my Half iron, i used water/nunn mix and powergel w/ extra sodium and it worked well. I also practiced with this alot and have used powergels for along time. Always train with the products you plan to use during your races, especially the longer distances such as HIM and IM (i dont have im experience yet). Early on the season is a good time to introduce new products and see how well they sit with you.
2007-01-29 8:31 AM

Hingham, MA
Hey Group: heading to my spinning tonight. Winter has finally arrived in Boston.

I am interested in getting some feedback on transitions and racewear...

articles talk about T1 and T2 bags sound straight forward. Other thoughts are what to wear on game day. I like to wear longer shorts to minimize chafing on the longer distances, but do not want to wear bike shorts on my run. Has anyone used a gelpad for the seat or other tricks?

Scott

2007-01-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Before we leave the nutrition/hydration subject for a while, I wanted to add two cents on Clif Bloks.

I have started using them almost exclusively instead of gels on the bike because they are easier to handle than gels, especially while staying aero. The trick is to "unpackage" them before the race. Put them in a Bento box or something like it.

During training or a sprint where I'll eat 2 to 4 Bloks, I just stick 'em right on the stem and aerobar ends. Yeah, they get a little sweaty and gritty at times, but not it's that bad, and it's very convenient.

As always, nutrition/hydration matters are very personal & specific to each. Must practice and plan ahead.
2007-01-29 8:43 PM
in reply to: #671046

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I wear tri shorts and a tri top for all races and in training.  I wear this during the swim under my wetsuit.  See my avatar.  That's how I'm dressed for the whole race, even IM and HIM.  Except at IM I change socks after the bike. 

I prefer tri shorts' minimal padding over the thick pad in bike shorts.  I find the thick pad in bike shorts bunches up and is uncomforable when I'm in the aero position.  I tried both on long rides and tri shorts work better for me.  I especially like the Desoto Power Shorts.  They have pockets on the sides of the legs.  The pockets are real handy for holding gels and other stuff.  I'be tried Sugoi and LG shorts, but the Desotos are my favorite.

TJ

2007-01-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: #671502

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I haven't tried Shot Bloks.  That's a good idea to stick them to your bars. 

I cut up Cliff bars into small pieces and put them into my bento box along with gels. 

You know another advatange of a Bento Box?  It makes your bike more aerodynamic.  Yep.  I heard it on a podcast.  MIT guys put a bike with a bento box on the top tube into a wind tunnel.  It smooths the air flowing over and around the stem and head tube.

TJ

2007-01-30 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Ditto on the Desoto tri shorts, they're my favorites for almost all riding. Especially in the winter under a pair of tights. Less bulk and feels good.

For sprints, I go without a jersey shirt and socks. For the HIM, I spent a few extra seconds putting on a shirt and socks. This season I'm looking at a top that can be worn throughout the entire race. Under Armor is bringing out a new line (Macca) that seems really functional. I'm generally not a UA fan, but this one looks good.

For my HIM, I had cut up Clif bars into bite size pieces to go along with the Clif Bloks and I just alternated between the two.
2007-01-30 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Desoto power tri shorts are really comfortable. I also wear zoot and they feel great as well even though it seems the pad is bigger, but could be my imagination as i can not feel it at all. For the top I wear oomph, the material is so comfortable, there just kind of hard to get. My distances range from sprint to HIM. I wear the same outfit from start to finish. Sprint and Olympic no socks (i have never blistered, and i train this way on shorter distances when it is warm enough), HIM i wear socks.
As tommy stated i don't like regular cycling shorts as the big pad just bothers me.

2007-02-05 1:54 PM
in reply to: #672569

Hingham, MA
another gear related question...

Wetsuits - has anyone had luck buying on line or is "try before you buy" a must? It sounds like having a great fit is key. I can usually buy stuff off the rack with no problems...I may give it a shot if there is a good website out there

Also - straw poll: Full or farmer john style?...sounds like full gives max flotation...

To all - thanks again for all the insight. this has been VERY helpful....

Scott

2007-02-05 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Ah, wetsuits; here's my 2 cents...

I wondered about full or sleeveless myself and ended up buying a full after talking with folks and reading the threads on BT.

Well, the company (TriSports) accidently sent a sleeveless. I called them immediately and they sent a full, next day air. Lucky me, so I got to test swim BOTH styles.

As expected, the sleeveless had lots of freedom and the full had lots of buoyancy. I stayed with the full (after getting, yet another size) and I'm glad I did. The third size I got fit just right and there is no problem with chafing or stroke mechanics. I don't even use Body Glide.

I got a 2XU Comp 2 which is entry level suit for ~$235 . The customer service was great at TriSports and we settled up all of the wetsuit exchanges quite fairly. They offer a "free swim test" as long as you don't use any lubricants and return it in perfect shape.

I say go with the full. The extra warmth is nice for cold water, but it's really the buoyancy factor that average swimmers like me get the benefit from. It DOES make a difference in swimming; you go faster with less effort.

The added buoyancy makes me confident enough to do OWS by myself because there's virtually no way you can drown. I know this might freak out some folks, but once you get used to swimming by yourself, it's not that big a deal. Really no more dangerous than biking on the roads with cars.

JK

Add on: IMHO, virtually any of the recognized brand name suits that are designed for tri swimming are going to be good. In the end, it comes down to finding one that fits your budget and your body.

Edited by jkron 2007-02-06 7:26 AM
2007-02-06 4:31 PM
in reply to: #679918

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I have 2 wetsuits - a Promotion full and an Xterra Sleeveless.  The Promotion is an OK beginner suit.  Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy Promotion.  I love the Xterra.  It's comfortable and flexible. 

Buying online isn't a problem.  Do some research.  Check the manufacturer's website.  They usually have a sizing chart.  I ordered my Xterra from Trisports.com (15% BT discount and free shipping).  The first Xterra they sent was too tight.  So I phoned them up and they shipped a second suit and told me to swim in both and then send back the one I didn't want (or both if I didn't like either).  Most online stores suggest you swim in the pool to try it out then send it back if you don't like it.

Full vs Sleeveless
Notice what the pros are wearing.  They all (most of them anyway) are wearing full wetsuits. The added bouancy is one factor.  Another is the additional stroke pulling area of the forearm when it's covered in neoprene (bigger paddle).  All of what I have read says buy a full.   Another argument goes "If it's too hot for a full then it's too hot for a sleeveless."  The sleeveless really isn't that much cooler.

If I could do it over ---- I would go with a full 2xU Comp 1.  I looked at their wetsuits while at IMFL.  They make some really nice suits.  And, knowing what I know now, I would pay the extra $$ for a nice full suit.  It makes a difference.

TJ

2007-02-06 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
I bought my from trisports as well with the "slowtwitch " discount of 15%. Great customer service. I ordered a promotion from .. promotion, ordered qr superfull, the suits were night and day. the qr superfull is very comfortable, when i swim in it i can hardly tell that it is on and does not restrict my movement. Promotion very nice, entry level but in my opinion does not come near the QR superfull.
2007-02-07 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

How is everyone's training going?  Have you started a race specific training plan or are you still in the winter maintenance mode?  Any questions or issues that need discussing?

I had a little set back.  I developed a pain in my hip, probably due to over use.  I think I started too hard and fast in January with my running.  I did an LT test and also ran a 10k road race (PR'd).  I didn't heed the warnings in all the reading I've done.  Should start out with easy base building and slowly build up to race specific training.  Hopefully, I'll be running again after next week.  I haven't run in about 10 days.  My hip is feeling much better.  Live and learn.

TJ

2007-02-08 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Training's going pretty well. I would have to say that I'm in kind of a semi-maintenance & recovery mode right now, still taking it a bit easy coming off the Marathon. Been doing shorter, somewhat intense sessions and concentrating on form and technique. I plan to start ramping up in March and April.

One of your comments brings up a potential topic subject: Over-use injury. More specifically, how do you tell the difference between that "little twinge of pain" that will pass or something that is leading into a major situation. Phrased another way; when do you stop and when do you "train through it".

My mentality is to tough it out and train through it. My body has done very well and I haven't suffered any debilitating situations. That doesn't mean I've been totally pain free, but I've never slacked off or taken any medications. At 48, I'm always wondering when might it be too much and it's time to take it a little easier.

When I was ramping up my long runs prior to the Marathon, I remember after the 16-mile run my knees were VERY sore for about 4 days. They weren't sore like that after the 15-miler the week before. I was concerned that "something" had finally happened and I wondered what I should do; stop or keep going? But by the Friday before the 17-miler, the pain went away as fast as it had appeared, I ran with no problem, and kept going with no further pains like those. What the heck?

I don't know the perfect answer other than pay close attention to what your body is telling you and be ready to adapt as necessary.

Comments?
2007-02-08 3:00 PM

Hingham, MA
My training is going really well. I have been building my base the last month and my "official" training kicks off on Sunday. I feel like a regular at the pool and can peel off 1000 yds with no issues. Much better when I first started off. Now its time to get fast.

Winter (snow and ice) has finally arrived in boston just as my new bike arrived which is a bummer. Luckily I has access to a spinning bike to log the time and get the cadence where it needs to be.

I should have mentioned that the online piece was taking too long to reconfigure for my 4days/week training so I am going "analog". I take a ferry boat to work update training plan and log while on board the 30 minute trip. I should have mentioned that earlier hence the radio silence on the plans. thanks for the inquiries. Any shortcuts/ideas are welcome since I miss out on some of the graphs.

Its good to get back in action.

Scott

Edited by scottymack 2007-02-08 3:02 PM
2007-02-08 9:22 PM
in reply to: #683733

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

That's a good point about pain.

You have to know the difference between "injury pain" and "performance pain".  This is part of mental training.

Injury pain is the type of sharp, acute pain due to injuring yourself, i.e. pulled hamstring.  Last year I left on a run early in the morning.  About a half mile down the road I had a sharp pain in my lower back.  I knew immediately this wasn't a good pain.  I stopped and walked back home.  I took a couple days off, went to the chiropractor and healed up.

Performance pain is the good, suffering kind of pain you get from pushing your body to its limits.  This is the pain you can 'train through it'.  In IMFL last year, my legs were aching and hurting during the last stages of the marathon.  But I knew it was all performance pain.  I just kept running.

It's a good idea to scan your body during long workouts.  Notice how each part of your body is feeling.  Try to detect the performance pain vs the injury pain.  I think knowing the distinction can only come from experience.

TJ

2007-02-08 9:28 PM
in reply to: #684359

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Oooo.  New bike.  What did you get?

You could log just your actual training and not worry about entering your planned training.  That will still give you some graphs of actuals.  You won't have the planned vs actual.  I know what you mean; changing your planned trianing everytime you miss a day or whatever can be a pain.  I usually don't worry about and just log my actual when I change the plan.

Good job building your base.

TJ

2007-02-09 6:10 AM

User image

Expert
20 week HIM plan started. We'll see how it goes with the new one in the house. may need to adjust volume so I can have adequate family time.

2007-02-09 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
A new bike! Pics are required!
2007-02-09 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
gotta show us the bike.
2007-02-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: #685112

Hingham, MA
noice to show off the bike...not quite TJ's Felt but a BIG upgrade from my 1987 Trek...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/images/mer_att_yel_1200...
:)

Edited by scottymack 2007-02-09 11:14 AM
2007-02-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: #684852

Hingham, MA
J: so - new one in the house. that is great...boy or girl? once you get over the shock and sleep deprivation you will be a man of steel. It may take a while to settle down but those mental breaks will be useful on the road or in the pool...

congrats!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10