BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-12-18 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1094296

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full like my belly at Thanksgiving
Hope everyone had a good day. I ended up with 2600 in the pool 40 min of strength training and a 5.2 mile run

2007-12-18 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
My goal for the rest of the year is just not to slack too much. I am hoping to use the next 10-13 days to set my calendar for the year. Started the process yesterday by signing up for Memphis in May.
2007-12-18 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1108922

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
Shermbelle - 2007-12-18 10:11 PM

Hope everyone had a good day. I ended up with 2600 in the pool 40 min of strength training and a 5.2 mile run

You da Man! I would like to have that much time in the pool cumulative for the month.
2007-12-18 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1108931

Champion
No excuses!

Elvis15 - 2007-12-18 11:15 PM My goal for the rest of the year is just not to slack too much. I am hoping to use the next 10-13 days to set my calendar for the year. Started the process yesterday by signing up for Memphis in May.

Way to go, nothing gets you going like plunking down a little cash and having a race on the horizon

2007-12-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1108946

User image

Expert
Shermbelle - 2007-12-18 8:25 PM

Elvis15 - 2007-12-18 11:15 PM My goal for the rest of the year is just not to slack too much. I am hoping to use the next 10-13 days to set my calendar for the year. Started the process yesterday by signing up for Memphis in May.

Way to go, nothing gets you going like plunking down a little cash and having a race on the horizon

• .. and telling everyone that you did it.

• I'm not going to be able to hold my head up if I don't do the IMAZ in the fall, or the Napa Marathon in March.
    2007-12-19 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
    I changed my profile security settings... let me know if that made a difference!
    Thanks for putting the list together!

So I had a life changing swim today! It know... maybe a little dramatic, but honestly, I felt like I finally figured it out! Like I said in my intro, I swam competitively up until about 10 years ago and then just swam for fun every once and a while. I started back into it again about two months ago and I feel like I've been progressing well, but this morning was different! I tried to concentrate on my form, and rotating my body a bit more in the water, and after I changed my amount of rotation (though I'm not sure that's the best word...) it felt like the water was working with me and not so tiring .. I was able to swim much much longer then in any of my other work outs and didn't feel exhausted at the end of a set. It was AWESOME. Great way to start the AM! (Did about 2000M total...)

Hope everyone else has a great workout today!

2007-12-19 9:04 PM

User image

Lexus- Congrats on the workout today. It's great when you have those moments where everything seems to be working. Keep that feeling in your mind as you continue through your training.

Brian- I agree about putting yourself out there with your goals. I think it's key to get others involved in what you are striving for.
    2007-12-19 10:44 PM
    in reply to: #1110038

Champion
    No excuses!
    bhoover10001 - 2007-12-19 2:04 PM
    Shermbelle - 2007-12-18 8:25 PM

... and telling everyone that you did it. I'm not going to be able to hold my head up if I don't do the IMAZ in the fall, or the Napa Marathon in March.

x 2 nothing like having everyone constantly checkin in on you to make sure you are training and then just the casual people you tell who are amazed you are even attempting those feats. Those are the people that sometimes get me out the door more than other athletes. Because the general public expects you to fail and thinks your just crazy talking saying you are doing an Im or mary.

2007-12-19 10:46 PM

Champion
    No excuses!
    Great job today Lexus, I have been having better swims lately too and wow does it make you want to go back and not the old dreading the water.
    2007-12-19 10:49 PM

Champion
    No excuses!

Hope everyone had a good day, I just finished up a 16 hour work day but the good part is now I won't have to "work" until next Thursday and that will probaly be my only day that week also.  I will have to keep tabs on my accounts and put out any fires but for the most part have some well needed time off.

Now I am debating wether to do my scheduled ride of 1:20 worth of intervals or do my short 25 min easy run from tomorrow. Maybe surf the forums for a bit and then decide Undecided

2007-12-19 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
    Hey, everyone! Sorry I've been a little quiet. I just did a 10-day detox (aka. Master Cleanse, aka. the Lemonade diet) and lost about 10 pounds, but I didn't do any exercise during that time and now I'm starting to pick things back up again. It was definitely tough and I don't know if I would recommend it, but I wanted to try it and I figured the off-season is the time. But I don't want to waste my effort by gaining the weight back, since one of my biggest goals is to lose weight, so I will continue by counting and restricting my calories while trying to eat "clean".

Another one of my goals is consistency, so I'd like to have a little something in my logs almost every day. Today was a 30 min run on the treadmill. I had about 7 or 8 minutes at 8min/mi. (That's really fast for me.) Pretty cool.

Another short-term goal I have is to complete my coach's startup questionnaire. Man, this guy is thorough. As soon as I can get the packet back to him, he can start working on my plan and then I'll know what to be doing!

I finished the list of group members (Alexis was missing, Lisa's link wasn't working). Here it is (in HTML code -- you can copy and paste into your goals):
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=98427">Shermbelle's mentor group</a>
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=43404">Shermbelle</a> - Michael
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=11061">lisazapato</a> - Lisa
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=71397">Nole40</a> - Chris
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=77580">bhoover10001</a> - Brian
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=80081">lexus1299</a> - Alexis
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=75194">timdude</a> - Tim
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=16889">Elvis15</a> - Andy
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=54052">VeganMan</a> - Ryan
    <a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index.asp?memberid=5514">ellismichael</a> - Mike

Cheers,
    Mike

2007-12-19 11:15 PM

Champion
    No excuses!

Hey Mike, last night while doing boring paperwork I had some Shmoe on the tube about the 7-day Almighty Cleanse or something like that. I did find myself curious escpecially the pics he was showing of what came out of people during the cleanse. Just curious on your experience with it. Like how did you feel and were you zapped for strenght and that being the reason for no exercise or is it recommended to not do anything strenous. I probably would never do one of those but was very curious from watching it.

Any info to purr my curiousity would be great. Laughing

2007-12-19 11:38 PM
    in reply to: #1111095

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Louisville KY
    Shermbelle - 2007-12-20 12:15 AM

Hey Mike, last night while doing boring paperwork I had some Shmoe on the tube about the 7-day Almighty Cleanse or something like that. I did find myself curious escpecially the pics he was showing of what came out of people during the cleanse. Just curious on your experience with it. Like how did you feel and were you zapped for strenght and that being the reason for no exercise or is it recommended to not do anything strenous. I probably would never do one of those but was very curious from watching it.

I was wondering also I had a colonoscopy done last year and the prep for it was awful but its a good time to start a diet.
    2007-12-19 11:47 PM
    in reply to: #1111095

User image

Expert
    Shermbelle - 2007-12-19 9:15 PM

Well, I'm sure everyone's experience would be different, but for me other than some weight loss, I didn't get any of the amazing results that I had heard a lot about. I didn't get any amazing energy or clarity of thought or spiritual experience or clear skin or "light" feeling or tons of gunk cleaned out of my system. Maybe the people that have those experiences had a really bad diet & lifestyle before doing the cleanse. I did drop almost 15 pounds and have gained back about 5, but for the last 2 days my weight has been the same, so I'm hoping my current weight will stick.

I read it recommend that if you feel up to doing exercise, go ahead and do it. I was pretty zapped and didn't feel up to anything too strenuous, but I probably could have knocked some training out. I guess I was just a little lazy and used it as an excuse... and I wanted to see what the cleanse alone would do for me.

This was true for me and I've read it from other people too, that you also need to get the approval and support of your family. The cleanse can make you pretty grumpy and withdrawn, emotionally. Everyone in the house needs to understand that and be OK with it.

For athletes, there may not be that much benefit in the bigger picture. Taking into account that you lose at least 2 weeks of quality training (breaking your consistency -- if you have any), and that if you have more to lose than what you would lose on the cleanse you're going to have to change your diet anyway, and there's risk of changing your metabolism for the worse and losing muscle, it might be better to focus your efforts on just eating better. It is gratifying to lose some weight, though (I was on a plateau for a long time), and it gives me an accomplishment of willpower that I can remember as I continue to make some tough food choices.

Mike
    2007-12-19 11:51 PM
    in reply to: #1111112

User image

Expert
    timdude - 2007-12-19 9:38 PM
    I was wondering also I had a colonoscopy done last year and the prep for it was awful but its a good time to start a diet.

Been there. This was similar, and if I had done the "salt water flush" as recommended (which I decided to skip altogether), it would have been exactly like my pre-colonoscopy experience.

And yes, coming off the cleanse is a good time to start a diet. You do feel kinda "reset", and you have to reintroduce your body to food in a slow and gentle way (no junk food right away). It creates some momentum for better food choices.
    2007-12-20 9:11 AM
    in reply to: #1111090

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Omaha, USA

ellismichael - 2007-12-19 11:05 PM Hey, everyone! Sorry I've been a little quiet. I just did a 10-day detox (aka. Master Cleanse, aka. the Lemonade diet) and lost about 10 pounds, but I didn't do any exercise during that time and now I'm starting to pick things back up again. It was definitely tough and I don't know if I would recommend it, but I wanted to try it and I figured the off-season is the time. But I don't want to waste my effort by gaining the weight back, since one of my biggest goals is to lose weight, so I will continue by counting and restricting my calories while trying to eat "clean".

I've been lurking for a while, just didn't feel I had anything worth while to add.  But now that we are discussing diet I might have something to add.  Well, as the name implies, I am a vegan.  People find it fascinating/crazy (mother included) that I can do triathlons and not eat meat or dairy.  I encourage everyone to eat clean - veggies are you friend.  I've been vegan since Nov 06 and have lost 30lbs.  My energy has increased and I feel better than I ever have...not that I was feeling bad, but I didn't know how good I could feel.

For the record, I've been having some ITB problems holding me back for a few months and I really need to address this in earnest - stretching, icing, strengthening.  I've limited my workouts to yoga, swimming, bike trainer (way too cold outside) and have recently added the elliptical; considering aquajogging, just not sure I have the patience.

I hope everyone's training is going as well as it can for this time of year.  I'm certainly looking forward to the chaos subsiding and normalcy returning for some focused training.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

2007-12-20 11:22 AM
    in reply to: #1111361

Champion
    No excuses!
    VeganMan - 2007-12-20 10:11 AM

For the record, I've been having some ITB problems holding me back for a few months and I really need to address this in earnest - stretching, icing, strengthening.  I've limited my workouts to yoga, swimming, bike trainer (way too cold outside) and have recently added the elliptical; considering aquajogging, just not sure I have the patience.

Yeh now that it has gotten cold again, I need to be on the stretching, icing and strengthenig also. I have been in PT 4 times all for the same thing. Tight hammys, calfs, and piraformis, with things all  pulling on each other and usually the pain ending up in my knees.

2007-12-20 11:36 AM
    in reply to: #1111361

User image

Expert
    Ryan (VeganMan),
    I'm sure you get this question a lot, but do you have to make an extra effort to get enough protein? What would you say your mix of carb/protein/fat is?

I've dealt with ITB issues in both legs. I found that it wasn't something that went away in an immediate way and that I could work with. I found that if I avoided, for example, any kind of speedwork, I could still do somewhat long runs and not have a lasting problem. I would feel my ITB "talking to me", but when I was done, there was no ongoing pain. Everyone's ITB issues are a little different, but for me, eliminating speedwork, lowering volume somewhat, and then stretching, foam roller, and icing helped. I did do some strengthening, but I wasn't consistent with it so I'm not sure if it helped or not.

For icing, my favorite was to fill a styrofoam cup about 2/3 full and putting it in the freezer, then when it is frozen, peeling it back like a popsicle and applying it directly to the ITB for ~10 minutes. My old coach taught me that and I think it's more effective than putting an ice pack on it.

Good job at being flexible and getting in some great workouts even while dealing with an injury and the weather.

Mike
    2007-12-20 12:40 PM
    in reply to: #1111701

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Omaha, USA

ellismichael - 2007-12-20 11:36 AM Ryan (VeganMan), I'm sure you get this question a lot, but do you have to make an extra effort to get enough protein? What would you say your mix of carb/protein/fat is?

To preface, this is a hottly debated topic not only in BT, but in many athletic communities.  I, personally, don't pay much attention to my intake right now or for the majority of the year.  Every three to four months though I do track my diet on fitday.com for a two week period just to see where I am....I couldn't do this year round if I tried.  During the season I was taking in about 60/20/20.  I make no concerted effort to "get" my protein - I think people put way too much emphasis on protein and probably get more than they need...again this is hottly debated.  I'm usually getting about 80grams (or 1g protein/lb of body weight) protein though.  I have a few comebacks when I get asked the "where do you get your protein" question; I am only sharing these with you because I find them humorus, I intend no malice. 

Q: Where do you get your protein?

A: Same place cows do, plants.

Q: Where do you get your Omega-3 (since I don't eat seafood either)?  Many people also have to ask if I eat seafood after I've told them I'm vegan.

A: How do you think fish get theirs?

For icing, my favorite was to fill a styrofoam cup about 2/3 full and putting it in the freezer, then when it is frozen, peeling it back like a popsicle and applying it directly to the ITB for ~10 minutes. My old coach taught me that and I think it's more effective than putting an ice pack on it. Good job at being flexible and getting in some great workouts even while dealing with an injury and the weather. Mike

I'm glad you re-freshed my memory, I was doing this last summer, but not for very long.  We used to use these all the time in high school.  Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by VeganMan 2007-12-20 2:37 PM
    2007-12-20 10:01 PM

User image

Interesting thoughts on the diet. I"ve heard many vegan's state that they have a lot more energy following the change.

45 Min tonight. Looks like I'm going to get 6 workouts in this week!
    2007-12-21 6:55 AM

Champion
    No excuses!
    Great job on getting in 6 workouts this week Chris. It is all about consistency this time of year.

2007-12-21 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
    Surrounded by 6 states
    I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday! I will be getting much of my "workouts" for the next few days fighting shopping crowds. I will also be going over the river and through the woods to (my kids') grandma's house so won't be around much for the next week.

Suppose to be 66 and sunny today. Little cold to run outside don't you think

Have a great week.
    2007-12-21 11:01 AM
    in reply to: #1113226

User image

Expert
    WA

Hi everyone!

I am now in sunny San Diego for the Christmas holiday with my parents.  Yesterday was my first full day home, and we just hung out and I watched my mom make all sorts of yummy food, and wrote down all the recipes.  YUMMMY.

Today I'm going to go for a run, maybe hit the gym for a swim?  Not sure yet.  But definitely a run - it might even be too hot to run!  Hahaha.

Hope everyone has a great holiday and doesn't eat too much junk - my mom's food is really healthy but yesterday I ate about 10 cookies that I shouldn't have from a holiday tin.  Ack!

Lex, your privacy setting change worked and now I can see your logs!  You can also make it so that only people on your buddy list can see your logs for medium security.  So, if you add the group to be your friend (just put in our screen names in that list), then only people on that list can see, if  you're concerned about that kind of thing.

Lisa 

2007-12-22 9:49 AM

Champion
    No excuses!

Well I can't complain about the weather here, it has warmed to mid 40's, the snow is melting and a great day for a long run this afternoon or evening. Tomorrow is a different story. Temps to drop to high 20's and bring back the white stuff.

Safe travels to those who will be and happy holidays to everyone.

2007-12-22 6:20 PM

User image

Mike- We saw the "heat wave" down here in Chicago as well. Definitely was a nice change, although it will be short lived.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off Rss Feed  

of 21