BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-12-16 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1103588

Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!

FentressJET - 2007-12-15 8:42 AM Welcome Dave sir! Glad to hear your surgery is finally over sir! It looks like several of us have started in the 230's and are moving our way down sir! Best of luck sir! Eric (4 years of JROTC in HS)

Eric - what do you do in San Antonio!  I love that city and Austin too.  Last time in the area was 2005 when we vacationed at Canyon Lake.  Looks like there's a tri there next year...and an adventure race!

2007-12-16 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1104667

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Dave,

I am an Assistant Controller (Accountant) for a hospital system in Texas. Canyon lake is nice and going tubing down the Guadalupe river there is great in the summer. If you are ever down this area again, let me know and the families can get together.

I actually live outside of San Antonio between Austin and SA. So I get the best of both cities. I am thinking of doing an IM in 2009 if I can survive the HIM I have planned for 08 and IM Wisconsin is looking really good. I saw the coverage for IMWI on Versus a few weeks ago and it looks like a great time. Maybe we can meet up and even race it together.
2007-12-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1104671

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
It would be so cool if you guys do IMWI in 2009!  You may want to consider making a trip to the race in 2008 so you can sign up on site the morning after the race.  It is one of the most popular IM's and this year the slots available after in person registration sold out in a record 23 minutes online.  It's only going to get crazier!  I won't be surprised if in the next year or two all available slots get sold on site and there are none left for online reg.  I'm going to volunteer and stick around to register in person for '09.
2007-12-16 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1104721

User image

Master
Colorado

ieee. 12 hours later things should stop spinning, right?

Speaking of spinning, I was too lazy (read: dumb) to get outside in the beautiful weather and ride for the 1 hour I had without the kiddos.  Instead, I'm going to spin on the trainer this evening while letting the TV destroy the brain cells the booze didn't get to last night.

Um, what do we use this thread for?  I mean, besides my personal TAN?

Where is Zilla?  I miss Zilla....

2007-12-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1102752

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: OPEN

Force!  I still need to shake you down.  I know how fickle you are and I'm so sorry I didn't respond to you immediately after you posted!

I've ridden with you, and if your bike is your weak link, you are going to great as you do more races.  You are spending lots of quality time in the pool.  Your sub 2 hr half mary is rock solid too.  Can't wait to see how Racine goes for you.  In spring I'd be happy to ride the Racine course with you, I've done it I don't know how many times...  The last two years it was a pretty regular Saturday morning ritual for me from May to June.

Sounds like nutrition is one area you can learn and improve on.  I'll throw some questions out to the group as a whole and see if I can post some of the info I got from my coach this summer.

2007-12-16 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1104846

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2007-12-16 4:00 PM

2007-12-16 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1094997

Elite
In The Peleton

NUTRITION:

We'll talk general face stuffing later, but for now, I want to get a bit of a baseline of your exercise specific habits.  What do you eat and drink while working out and racing?  What is your post workout/race recovery plan?  Water? Sports drink? Gels?  Real food?  Anybody used endurolyte supplements?  Share what brands you have tried and how you like them.

It's okay if you don't have solid habits, I just want to know what you've been doing so far.  We cover the spectrum of newbies to experienced uber-endurance athletes in this group so it's a great chance to learn from each other!  I'll share what I do after I learn about you guys.

2007-12-16 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1104854

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: OPEN
PeterAK - 2007-12-16 3:56 PM

Force!  I still need to shake you down.  I know how fickle you are and I'm so sorry I didn't respond to you immediately after you posted!

I was beginning to wonder if you really cared...

In spring I'd be happy to ride the Racine course with you, I've done it I don't know how many times...  The last two years it was a pretty regular Saturday morning ritual for me from May to June.

Thanks for the offer, I'm game.

Sounds like nutrition is one area you can learn and improve on.  I'll throw some questions out to the group as a whole and see if I can post some of the info I got from my coach this summer.

Amen to that...my diet stinks and I'm sure that's the primary reason my weightloss has stagnated. I'll be open to suggestions....thanks.

2007-12-16 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1104870

Master
Living in the past
PeterAK - 2007-12-16 4:04 PM

NUTRITION:

We'll talk general face stuffing later, but for now, I want to get a bit of a baseline of your exercise specific habits.  What do you eat and drink while working out and racing?  What is your post workout/race recovery plan?  Water? Sports drink? Gels?  Real food?  Anybody used endurolyte supplements?  Share what brands you have tried and how you like them.

It's okay if you don't have solid habits, I just want to know what you've been doing so far.  We cover the spectrum of newbies to experienced uber-endurance athletes in this group so it's a great chance to learn from each other!  I'll share what I do after I learn about you guys.

My racing nutrition experience is very limited...I've used gels sporadically (GU, Accel Gel), plus straight water and Gatorade Endurance. Like both brands of gel and the GE is good.

Training nutrition (during) has been gels (as above, nominally every 20 minutes or so), plus water, GE, and I've recently began eating Cliff bars (pretty tasty).

Training nutrion (post) depends on how I feel...usually water or left over GE, then onto regular food, as the mood strikes and/or clock dictates (i.e. lunch or dinner time). 

Pre-training is usually a 'PB samich'.

I have not used (I don't think) any endurolyte supplements...do you mean "salt tabs"?

Peter, do you keep track of your sweat rate and if so, how does this factor into your nutritional planning?

2007-12-16 5:05 PM

Veteran
San Antonio
What do you eat and drink while working out and racing?
Only drink on the bike and that is cytomax - sometimes watered down gatorade.

What is your post workout/race recovery plan?
Generally a bottle of water and a half cliff bar.

It is funny, but I actually know quite a bit about sports nutrition and what I need to do, but getting me to do it is the tricky part. Hard to break 15 years of bad habits.
2007-12-16 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1104721

Colorado
I want to volunteer for 2008, but heard it's hard to even get to volunteer...is this true? Sounds like you start the application process in April. I'm thinking I won't be ready for an IM by 2009, but would still love to see this one in person. Besides, I can just walk on over to the start from my dad's house.

2007-12-16 7:58 PM

Colorado
When I used to go on long runs, I'd take a 'fuel belt" that held 2 bottles. I'd have water in both, one bag of Clif Shot blocks (since I can't stand the electrolyte drinks) and a Clif Bar cut up into 1/4s. I'd eat every 30 minutes alternating Clif Bar then Shot Blocks (3 at a time). After a 2 1/2 hour run I'd have just the last 1/4 Clif Bar left. I'd drink with the Shot Blocks--you're supposed to--and as little as possible otherwise as I was afraid I'd have to pee.

When I did black belt tests I would pretty much live on Myoplex Lite and/or Lean Body for Her drinks as solid food did not sit well, especially on day 2. I could eat fruit day one also, and drink LOTS of water the entire time. I started eating Shot Blocks in 2006, thinking it would help with my Sunday "loopiness", but I was still messed up. (These were typically Friday afternoons until Sunday afternoons with no sleep). Then again, what's wrong with not being able to stop smiling during lineup????

I have the feeling this wasn't the best I could do, however.

2007-12-17 6:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

diet wise - pre workout - h20 but no food often nothing as I like to go early in the morning - else a slice or two of wheat bread and some h20 - dilute gatorade for anything over 30 minutes - usually about 20 oz - in the summer MUCH more - I sweat a LOT - have lost 4lbs in an hour so I am very happy to have gotten the amphipod belt at the end of the summer  - not much experience with gels or gu

post exercise - accelerade or gatorade and whatever is in the fridge. chocolate milk if I think of it when I am in the store

2007-12-17 7:39 AM

Champion
Michigan

YOU NEED ME ON THAT WALL!

well? 

2007-12-17 9:05 AM

Master
Colorado
PeterAK - 2007-12-16 3:04 PM

NUTRITION:

What I used to do, what I should do and what I actually do is sooooo not consistent.  I'm really curious about your feedback on this.  For endurance sports and training I've been told that to teach the body to burn fat for energy is the way to keep it going long distance.  So.... according to coach AJ in last night's chat, he said to train as much as possible in the lower zones, 1 and 2 to build base and burn fat as fuel.  As far as nutrition is concerned, I've been taught that the ratio of carb/protein/fat is essential for your body to burn the proper fuel.  I think I've learned this racing.. If I go into it properly fed with food including protein and during the race take a bottle of something with protein like Accelerade, it seems to work the best.  Once I eat a gel or something similar, I've noticed that I have to continue with the gels for the rest of the race/training or else I crash and burn, maybe because my body switched from burning fat to burning sugars?  Anyhooooo.  What was the question?

What do I use?

Short training - 2 hours or less - small snack before (1/2 bar of something), water during, recovery drink within 1/2 hour after (R4 or similar), then a balanced meal soon.

Long training/racing - over 2 hours - bar before, or pb & J, Accelerade during, take gels with me in case of bonking , same recovery after. 

What do you think?  I've never tried supplements or salt tabs... thoughts peter?

2007-12-17 9:06 AM

Regular
PeterAK - 2007-12-16 5:04 PM

NUTRITION:

What do you eat and drink while working out and racing? What is your post workout/race recovery plan? Water? Sports drink? Gels? Real food? Anybody used endurolyte supplements? Share what brands you have tried and how you like them.

I haven't had opportunity to be active for more than 50 minutes total so just plain water for me. I do have a fuel belt I intend to use for events, but I don't take it out yet. It's hard for me to imagine eating an energy bar while exercising.

I can't have any solid food an hour before I exercise, I just feel super sluggish and slow. Buuut, I exercise first thing in the morning, and if I don't eat anything I get light-headed. I usually have a SlimFast, though this morning I had yogurt for the first time and that seemed to be ok too. After I get done, I have a proper breakfast of oatmeal and fruit, or box cereal.

Edited by Tautery 2007-12-17 9:08 AM

2007-12-17 12:55 PM

Colorado
How do I make my replies attach to the original message that I am replying to? I thought the little reply button on the message was the way, but I can see all my posts look so random...sorry about that.

I'm excited--I got the okay to walk an hour in a regular shoe today! I'm sitting here with ice on my foot in hopes that the inflammation will go down enough to actually get that normal shoe to go on my foot...it's been a little swollen since the 5K on Saturday.
2007-12-17 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1103689

2007-12-17 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1106364

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
I occasionally have calf cramping in the pool especially after pushing off the wall. I find hydrating during swimming helps a lot! - I too sweat heavily - you just don't notice in the pool so much
2007-12-17 2:10 PM

Elite
In The Peleton
As for the cramping while swimming stuff, I battled that this season.  I found it was caused by A) pushing off the wall and B) having tense legs.  I'm also a relatively heavy sweater, we'll talk more about sweat rate in the coming months, but I do use electrolytes for longer workouts.  For now, try focusing on relaxing your lower legs and push off easy at the wall.  See if that helps and let us know!
2007-12-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1106245

Elite
In The Peleton

AndriaLL - 2007-12-17 12:55 PM How do I make my replies attach to the original message that I am replying to? I thought the little reply button on the message was the way, but I can see all my posts look so random...sorry about that. I'm excited--I got the okay to walk an hour in a regular shoe today! I'm sitting here with ice on my foot in hopes that the inflammation will go down enough to actually get that normal shoe to go on my foot...it's been a little swollen since the 5K on Saturday.

At the top right of each poste there is the "quote" button and the "reply" button.  If you click the quote button the text from the post you are replying to will appear for you.

Congrats on getting the clear to walk in regular shoes!  Hope it is relatively pain free for you.

2007-12-17 4:46 PM

If I work out early - early like when the rest of the family is sleeping - I usually don't eat anything.  I'll have some water and maybe a 1/2 to 1 cliff bar if I'm going to go for an hour or more, but generally my workouts aren't that long.

When I ride outside I'll just bring water or gatorade along on the bike - never used any gels before.

I guess I really don't to anything outstanding to prepare for training - I pretty much eat the same way and on the same time schedule as a normal day - 4 or 5 small meals with a healthy snack somewhere in there. 

Coffee and Diet Mt Dew are my constants - mmmmmm....yummy!

2007-12-17 11:17 PM
in reply to: #1106423

Colorado
PeterAK - 2007-12-17 1:12 PM

AndriaLL - 2007-12-17 12:55 PM How do I make my replies attach to the original message that I am replying to? I thought the little reply button on the message was the way, but I can see all my posts look so random...sorry about that. I'm excited--I got the okay to walk an hour in a regular shoe today! I'm sitting here with ice on my foot in hopes that the inflammation will go down enough to actually get that normal shoe to go on my foot...it's been a little swollen since the 5K on Saturday.

At the top right of each poste there is the "quote" button and the "reply" button.  If you click the quote button the text from the post you are replying to will appear for you.

Congrats on getting the clear to walk in regular shoes!  Hope it is relatively pain free for you.

Testing, testing....how does this look??? Thanks for your help Peter.

I wonder if cramps happen easier while swimming as the water is usually cold? The only times I've gotten foot cramps have been in a cold pool, and at night when I stretch real hard, and my foot is cold from having ice on it.

It took a little work, but I have 2 matching shoes on right now! And I'm going for a walk. Have a good night everyone.
2007-12-18 9:50 AM

2007-12-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1107653

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27