BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-04-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL

Hi everyone -- I think I mentioned I lead a few WW meetings each week. I'm putting my meeting together now and remembered the great stories on here about how people have lost weight and gotten active just a step at a time (literally). Since that's the topic this week, I thought I'd cull some of your stories and share them with my members. They're so inspirational and I think will really show how small steps lead to big results. Of course, you have to put in the time and persevere, but look at how far you all have come! Just wanted to give a big thanks for sharing your stories. I'll share any feedback I get, but I think it can really help my members to hear other people's successes, and a few of you even used WW! (As I've said, that's not the only way, but it has helped a lot of people reach their goals)

Hope all is well.

Lynn

2009-04-12 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

New time trial bike

I don't know if I did this right.  New bike.  Great ride today on it.  Lots to learn.

2009-04-13 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Hey Scott, we need pictures, PRONTO!

Wow, what a beautiful day today!  Got up way too early with the kids, fixed them pancakes and eggs, had an egg hunt in our front yard, then drank a bunch of coffee while MIL took the kids to church.  I opted to walk the dog along the beach   Prepped dinner, went for a fast 20 mile ride in the early evening, came back and finished a nice dinner for the family.  Good day!

Only problem is that my wife is having a bummer of a time with her pregnancy.  We've got her hooked up to an IV just about 24/7 at home because it's the only way she can stay hydrated with so much nausea.  She's okay, but completely sidelined.  Gonna be picking up a lot of slack here in the coming months ... good though, because it will put me on a pretty tight routine.

I've got a 70 mile ride this Saturday--a tour fundraiser for diabetes.  That'll be interesting, because I've never ridden that far before and I feel I'm only just getting back some good bike fitness after a sporadic winter mixture of rides and, primarily, stationary bike time.  I know I can eventually make the distance, the hard part is going to be just cruising along and enjoying the tour while getting it done.  I know I'm going to keep looking at the speed on my bike computer, and something in me will want to speed up ... damn triathlons!   But yes, I am taking the computer for the distance, just have to watch the speed so I don't burn out by mile 40. 

That's about it for this week.  I'll do some short lunchtime rides and some easy running at night if time allows, but mostly resting the legs for Saturday!

Todd, I love that you just did an 80 mile training ride and I'm bitc%ing about a 70 miles tour
2009-04-13 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I used the lowest resolution on my camera and it still is too big.  The photo guys are going to reduce it for me.

Lynn, do you need something more from us or just what you've learned about the saga from here? 

I used WW, lost 100 pounds but put it back on and more because 1) when I couldn't stop losing, I started eating out of fear rather than going back to meetings and getting advice, and 2) I never had an exercise routine.  When I think of the extra pain I caused myself having to go through all that again because of those two mistakes, well, I could just SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

It's OK, I'm much better now.  
2009-04-13 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
2009-04-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2081419

User image

Master
Vista, CA

IceManScott - 2009-04-13 12:28 PM I used the lowest resolution on my camera and it still is too big.  The photo guys are going to reduce it for me.

Lynn, do you need something more from us or just what you've learned about the saga from here? 

I used WW, lost 100 pounds but put it back on and more because 1) when I couldn't stop losing, I started eating out of fear rather than going back to meetings and getting advice, and 2) I never had an exercise routine.  When I think of the extra pain I caused myself having to go through all that again because of those two mistakes, well, I could just SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

It's OK, I'm much better now.  

I was just going to mention what you've shared with us so far, but I'll share this too. Thanks!

As for reducing the photo size. I had the same problem but was advised to download this program

WWW   : http://www.irfanview.com

Itwill reduce the dimensions/file size of your photos and then they'll fit into the BT programs. I just kind of muddled my way through the program and I'm not a techie so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Hope all is well...with everyone! :-)

Today's my rest day so I'm going to do a little form swim. I have to get my --- out the door NOW! Procrastinating....

2009-04-14 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran
hi all, hope everyone had a healthy easter.  lots of foodies in my family so i fell into the sweets bucket for a day or so but i'm done with that now. 

i need some help please; i am not getting to the pool and i can't do a tri wihout that minor detail so will someone please step in and give me a shove???  yeah, i know; i'm still stuck on this piece. 

it's fear that's stopping me, i'm clear on that but, how do i conquer it?
2009-04-14 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Cindy, are you getting coached in the pool?  Responsibility and accountability help.

Also, start from the beginning.  Even if you know how to swim, just get in the water. Do a deadman float.  Then push off the side and glide.  Then add kicks and a free style stroke. Relearn to love swimming like you did when you were a kid.   

And now;

New bike!  It's an Orbea Oru frame.  After that, I couldn't afford the Red and they say Force isn't worth the upgrade from Rival and after riding it, Rival works flawlessly.  Wheels were custom 32-spoke from a friend who manages a Trek Store in Chattanooga.  Getting used to the twitchy-ness and the position, but I love it.

(Scott's bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Scott's bike.jpg (45KB - 10 downloads)
2009-04-14 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Nice ride, Scott!

I found it didn't take long to get used to riding in the aerobars. Now I greatly prefer it, actually. Only thing I'm having an issue with is very high speed descents (i.e., over 40mph). My Kestrel feels very close to out of control with even the slightest crosswind at that speed and riding in aero, there's not only less stability, but also no brake levers to feather. I'm used to riding descents in the drops on my roadie (rather than in my clip-on aerobars), but that's not an option on the Kestrel.
2009-04-14 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Man, I admit it, I will be in the base bars for descents like that!  Can you hear me cluck?

I was down about half the time.  High wind at my left shoulder coming in had me up at times because of the twitching.  But I do think that I will get so comfortable in the aeros that I will be happier there than not.

2009-04-14 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Cindy, you may have said this already and I'm just not remembering, but what's your swimming history? (Just learning? Used to swim lots?)

First step is getting out the door...that's hard for me. For most of the last two years, I've only swum once a week, at 9am on Saturdays. To add a second workout has meant getting up at around 5am to be at the pool by 6. Not a lot of motivation to do it, but once I'm swimming, the time of day becomes an afterthought.

Second thing is just getting in the water. How far you swim and what stroke initially isn't as important as just getting in the pool. If you don't have a workable freestyle stroke, then breaststroke (or sidestroke) is A-OK as far as just getting acclimated (it's a lot easier to struggle at freestyle than at breaststroke...although, ultimately, freestyle is more efficient). If it were me, I wouldn't jump into a masters group right away, but some private (or group) instruction wouldn't be bad if you don't swim well (or at all?).

2009-04-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2082769

User image

Veteran

scott, thanks for the feedback.  no coach but i've put alot of thought into getting one.  not sure why i can't make the committment.  i like the idea of relearning to swim; i was never very good at it but i could swim.  baby steps.

beautiful ride.  you'll be faster than greased lightnin' on that baby Smile

2009-04-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2083282

User image

Veteran

todd, thanks for the feedback too.  I was never a strong swimmer as a kid but i managed.  so i probably never really enjoyed it like some and it's so bloody cold in the northeast that swimming more than a couple of times in the summer is about all i do.

getting out the door is not an issue, i'm up at 4:45 to go to the gym but swimming always gets pushed to the evening workout - probably because i don't enjoy it.  Both you and Scott mention just getting in the water so I think i'll focus on keeping it simple and just get to the pool for whatever time i can put in.

i've tortured myself with getting a coach but seem stuck on pulling the trigger.  I'm not usually one to set myself up for failure so this behavior is stumping me.  thanks for help.

2009-04-14 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2083413

User image

Master
Vista, CA

oshunluvah - 2009-04-14 9:15 AM

todd, thanks for the feedback too.  I was never a strong swimmer as a kid but i managed.  so i probably never really enjoyed it like some and it's so bloody cold in the northeast that swimming more than a couple of times in the summer is about all i do.

getting out the door is not an issue, i'm up at 4:45 to go to the gym but swimming always gets pushed to the evening workout - probably because i don't enjoy it.  Both you and Scott mention just getting in the water so I think i'll focus on keeping it simple and just get to the pool for whatever time i can put in.

i've tortured myself with getting a coach but seem stuck on pulling the trigger.  I'm not usually one to set myself up for failure so this behavior is stumping me.  thanks for help.

Cindy-- I started swimming by doing just 20 minutes and it wasn't continuous. I would do free for one length and then backstroke, where I would rest. I built up to doing more frees and less back. Then i would switch to breast. I figured as long as a I kept moving, that was key. Also, having a "workout plan" seemed to help me. I found, thanks to a BT post, www.swimplan.com where you can get swim workouts for EVERY level. Other than that, I think Scott and Todd's advice, just get thy arse to the pool -- and commit to at least 10 minutes to start, then 20, then 30 etc. Good luck with it. With your moniker, you gotta get in that water!

Okay, question regarding aerobars. I've been riding my road bike for a year and really don't think I want to invest in a tri bike right now. Would you suggest getting aerobars for my road bike? My upcoming races are an Int'l distance that's pretty hilly and then the HIM in August, which as you know Todd, will be very hilly as well. Advice?

2009-04-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2084569

User image

Veteran
lynn, once again you find a simple way to encourage me.  i will take the advice of you three and get my arse in the water first.  then once the arse is wet i will do what it takes to swim a lap however that happens, and then just keep building on the time.  sounds easy enough...  thank you all for your words of encouragement, i appreciate it.

aerobars - i don't have a road bike, i have a commuter (hybrid basically) and believe it or not i have aerobars on it.  some might think it's silly but they work quite nicely, thank you.  they take some getting used to but once that occurs you will wonder how you rode distance without them.  really the only time i get whigged out with my aeros is when i'm in a crowded situation.  give yourself plenty of time to train with them lynn and you'll love them.  on the off chance that you don't you can always take them off your road bike and put them on craigslist Wink
2009-04-14 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I don't think that I used the word "arse" though I admit the meaning was the same.   Cindy, I can so identify, but my problem was running.  So I started with 2 run, 3 walk, then 3 run, 2 walk, then 6 run, 4 walk, you get the idea.  Small steps.  I recently ran  a continuous 7.5 miles training with the run club for their big run May 2.   It's all about progress. 

Don't get down on yourself mentally.  I think lots of this is mental.  Telling yourself that you can do it even though it seems hard, insurmountable sometimes.  My brain used to lie to me all the time.  It told me I couldn't.  It told me I wouldn't.  I had to learn to ignore it.  Set goals and go out and meet them.   I tell my brain just to shut the hell up.   

I am swimming with the Masters.  I couldn't do more than 100 yards in November.  I was a sprinter free styler in high school and that's what I did.  Then I listened and learned.  A little at a time.  Every time I get comfortable, something new comes along.  A while ago I learned bilateral breathing.  Got that down, now the coach wants me swinging my lower body more even when I don't take a breath on that side...still swing.  Damn near killed me today but I cold feel the speed improvement already and I need to turn more so I'm reaching out better.  Otherwise, waves will be hard to get my arm over. That's progress. 

I go to the pool, I get in my suit, I go out to a lane I sit down with my legs in the water, then slowly slide in.  then I push off and start my warm up.  After that, I do what is there to do. 

You can do it.  A little at a time.  You will do it. 

Masters here by the way is $65 for the pool per semester and $35 to join for a year.  Not much of an investment for the coaching I get. Plus, lots of triathletes use it - in fact our group is mostly triathletes, experienced and newcomers, so there is lots of support.  

Go for it.  Get your arse in the pool!  Laughing 

2009-04-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2084790

User image

Veteran
you're right scott, it's the mental stuff.  it found a way into my head and now i have to exorcise the demons!

the arse is going into the pool, the arse is going into the pool, the arse is going into the pool.  thank you and goodnight.
2009-04-15 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You know, I use meditation to shut the noise off in my head.  If the negative voices come during a workout, I use prayer, positive affirmations, and think of the progress I've made over time.  The voices run in the face of real proof that I can and have done much.  Not as much as I want to do, or will do one day, but a damn sight more than I used to do. I've heard it said: "If you think you can't or you think you can, you are probably right."   

Terri Schneider, a professional triathlete, recently released a book called the Triathlon Revolution for beginners.  She spends several pages on the mental game, combating negativity, staying positive, using affirmations.  I highly recommend it.  Other books tend to focus more on the how-tos, the mechanics.  She does that too, but she also recognizes there is another factor, the why-tos, and how we keep ourselves focused on the goals. 

Remember, too, negativity can also be a sign that you need a rest day to go and do something else.   Take in a movie, enjoy a night out with friends, SLEEP.  They all help me.

You'll do it, I know you will.

One other thing about our Masters Swimmers: people are coming who can't swim a length and getting great coaching and support from those who can swim. They are training for the sprint tr here in June.  600 yards.  They will master it, I know they will.    

2009-04-15 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
"they take some getting used to but once that occurs you will wonder how you rode distance without them."

Agreed, completely!  I got a $99 set of Profile Design aerobars for XMas, put them on and have been in love with them ever since.  They put you in a position to get more power, but at the same time, I find it more comfortable.  Shifting or braking can be awkward, but when it comes to climbing it keeps me focused on getting to the top of the hill without down-shifting.  If you've got it to spare, pick up a cheap set of clip ons for around $100 or less at the Performance Bike shop off the 78 and see for yourself.  "Hilly course" coming up ... SD International?  Me too ... is it really that hilly?

"really the only time i get whigged out with my aeros is when i'm in a crowded situation."

And now when someone asks, "if aerobars are so great and make you so much faster, why don't cyclists use them more?", you know the answer   I had this come up the other day, and I said, "Ooh, ooh, I know this one!  Cycling is a team sport and you ride in close packs where control and safety are huge.  Triathlon is an individual sport and the rules are set up so that getting into a tight bike pack and/or drafting are not going to happen.  There *should* be plenty of room to ride in aero position with minimal risk of taking down a whole pack of riders."
2009-04-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2085330

User image

Veteran

i agree with the need to shut the noise out of my head but i forget to because i get all wound up with the gd anxiety.  thank you, i will practice the quiet hum more.

i'm ordering the book when i get home today but only after i go to the pool and get in the water.  i'm going to make myself move in the water for 20 mins, doing what?  doesn't matter, just do it.

i'll take a closer look at the masters program, thanks scott you've been a real help and i happy to have folks like you to look to.  have a great day!

2009-04-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2085949

User image

Veteran
you got it morgan.  that is one reason why i never did competitive cycling, the tight squeeze effect.  i always envisioned 20 bikes colliding ontop of one another with me stuck at the bottom, no thanks.  i'd much rather scare myself to death trying to manage the swim portion of a tri Laughing

2009-04-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2086260

User image

Master
Vista, CA

oshunluvah - 2009-04-15 10:20 AM you got it morgan.  that is one reason why i never did competitive cycling, the tight squeeze effect.  i always envisioned 20 bikes colliding ontop of one another with me stuck at the bottom, no thanks.  i'd much rather scare myself to death trying to manage the swim portion of a tri Laughing

Yeah for you, Cindy. Get thyself to the water. You'll soon become addicted to the chlorine smell, trust me.

And, I guess consensus is --- get some aerobars. I'll check them out at performance, Morgan. Oh, btw-- i'm riding the Cabrillo route this Sat. morning. There's a LunaChix ride from Spanish Landing, fyi.

2009-04-15 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Re aerobars: I started with the PD Jammers on my K2 roadie (stolen last fall, alas...the bike, not just the aerobars). You'll see them described as specifically intended for road bikes...my wife has a pair for that reason. I found them to be a good value, but not really the only...or even necessarily best...choice for clip-ons for a roadie. On my Scott, I added PD T2+ aerobars and really love them. My Kestrel happened to come with those bars in the spec build, so that was a reason I was happy with the bike...no adjusting to another style of aerobar.

The Jammers are short...that's meant to be a compensation for the shallower seatpost angle in a road bike geometry (i.e., to account for your saddle basically being set further back from your bars than in TT/tri bike geometry. So that...and the fact that they are very inexpensive is the appeal of those bars.

The other main consideration is between S-bend and J-bend shapes. There's evidence that J-bend bars are more ergonomically efficient...personally, I'm using S-bend bars (the PD T2+ bars) and I like my position better than I did with the Jammers, which are a form of J-bend bar. If you have a chance to try out both types, it's probably worth it.

Another consideration is number of position adjustments available in a given aerobar. Some have more than others. With the T2+ bars, you have full adjustment of tilt, roll, forward/back slide, elbow pad angle (both relative to the axis of the bars and relative to the horizon)...I've done a lot of tweaking to the bars on both my Scott and my Kestrel.
2009-04-15 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Lynn,

I'm doing the Tour de Cure this Saturday, the 70 mile segment.  Maybe I'll see you out there!
2009-04-16 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hey, I'm sorry, I missed it before, but thanks for the program to downsize photos. 

Swam today.  The coach has me turning on every stroke more and I admit it, it feels right.  I'm still a little labored with bilateral breathing but that is coming too.  Confidence that I can take two breaths in a row on the same side if I need and the world won't end. 

Ran last night.  6 miles of intervals with the club.  Still can't say I like running but don't mind it any more at all.  I love what it's done for my figure   Cross training rocks.  Still a 36, but still losing.  

Bike is going well.  I do intense drills Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday, a long aerobic ride of on Sunday and a short ride on Mondays and Wednesdays.  

There you have it.  Iceman in a nutshell.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45