Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-02-12 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
I checked the ingredients lists and recipe from tonight and my intake was: breakfast 8 g (oats, blueberries & walnuts) lunch probably 0 (leftover pasta w/meat sauce) supper 15g (lentil stew) snack 5g (1.5C sliced strawberries)=28 g for the day......BUT most days I do not eat lentil stew so it is probably less.  Good wake-up call for me too!

2009-02-12 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm at 26.7 grams of fiber for the day which is pretty typical for me. I eat a lot of fruit and a big salad. I use the program Calorie King and track all I eat when things are going well.

2009-02-12 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1958165

User image

Champion
MA

custer - 2009-02-11 11:36 PM You all are so good about checking in on my log...you will notice that today, I ran for 18 minutes and walked for 12 (not counting WU and CD.) I mentioned in my log too how hard it was for me...I have never been athletic at all, and I can't believe how bad of shape I'm in. Anyway, what I want to know from you all is - Does it get any easier? When I started all this, I decided that I want to ENJOY running and biking; and while I am enjoying the idea and process of getting healthier, right now the actual workouts are HARD AND UNCOMFORTABLE! Do you just learn to LIKE that, or will it eventually be more comfortable for me...I mean, is it possible for someone with no athletic background to come to feel like a "natural" at these sports? Do y'all think I'm CRAZY?!?!?

You are not crazy because if you are I am too.

When I first started tri training, I only ran in the dark as I didn't want my neighbors or anyone to see me because I was uncomfortable and felt like a phony. I was just stubborn and persistent and built my base, skill set and while hanging on, I really fell in love with doing it.

I was athletic as a kid but not for 20+ years when I started training. I was out of shape Mom to 5 that was clueless about tri training and racing.

It was a constant struggle, but keeping with it helped me change into a new person in both body and mind. 

I went from 2003 being a couch potato 250+pound lazy Mom, to an Ironman in 5 years. 

Dream big and you can achieve whatever your mind can dream given time and dedication.

We all started someplace, embrace where you are, do the best you can each workout and in time slowly at times you will make progress.

2009-02-12 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1958353

User image

Champion
MA
velcromom - 2009-02-12 8:43 AM

Well, I talked with my 12 year old about yoga...he's taking it in PE at school.  So, I did a downward dog, and it felt good!  Then he had me do a crow or something.....down into a catcher's position (he's also a baseball player) and then pull my thighs up onto my arms and support/balance myself on my hands.  Well, you can probably see this one coming.  30 seconds later...thunk.  I was being careful, however, so I tucked my head and went into a little somersault.  What I forgot was that my glasses were on TOP of my head, and I landed on them from a height of, oh, 4 inches.  Nice gash on the top of my head.......bleeding took forever to stop, and I still have a headache 12 hours later.

I'm hoping that the fiber challenge is easier.

lindaCool

Oops....that hurts..how is your head tonight? glasses okay?

I'm hoping no weird outcomes for anyone with the fiber challenge today.

2009-02-12 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1959868

User image

Champion
Calgary
aquagirl - 2009-02-12 7:23 PM

Hello all! OK I had me eyes opened big time today....after adding up my daily intake of fiber(not that I'm done eating yet...but there is no fiber in chips!!) I have come to the realization that I do not eat enough high fiber foods. I had :berries in my smoothie this morning, whole wheat bread at lunch, a home made oatmeal cookie packed with dates, an orange, tons of salad and a handful of raisins  ...you think that would be good right? Nope, only adds up to HALF the recommended amount! 

Now if I sat down right now and had some All Bran I would have reached the right amount.....but I am having chips instead!  

Anyway...this was a learning experience for me!

I think fibre intake is an entirely individual thing. I have read that endurance athletes already have a, um, high, um, rate of digestion.

For quite a long time I ate the proper amount of fibre. 1/3 cup of bran buds in the morning goes a long way to get you there. I found I was better off without it.

2009-02-13 7:15 AM

User image

Master
NJ

I didn't track the fiber but had a huge salad, broccoli and my bread has like 4 grams per slice. If I eat too much, i get crampy.  Have a good day everyone!

2009-02-13 7:37 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Hi Everyone...we have a new member to our group....drcherrybomb21

She will stop in and introduce herself when she has time. 

2009-02-13 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Hmmm... not sure if I'm calculating everything correctly, but I think I ended with ~18g of fiber yesterday.  Oatmeal in the AM, salad and a big plate of steamed veggies with dinner.

I think today might be a rest day... minus a little painting to start my day

2009-02-13 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1959971

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I'm not thinking that fiber is going to big here......too many other tummy issues.  I was, however, surprised by how little I do eat of it....dang.  My husband was not....he reminded me that cheese, chocolate, wine and pepsi are all fiber free.  Good thing for frosted mini wheats!

I think I'll do a little spin today.  My eldest is coming home from school for the weekend.  Must think I'll have a valentine for her or something!!

LindaCool

2009-02-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1960200

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
kristinc0916 - 2009-02-13 8:15 AM

I didn't track the fiber but had a huge salad, broccoli and my bread has like 4 grams per slice. If I eat too much, i get crampy.  Have a good day everyone!

I'm a big fan of the "Double Fiber" bread... I think Arnold's makes the one I get that is actually called that.  I think it just plain tastes better... and makes my love of grilled cheese a little less guilt inducing.

2009-02-13 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

What's on tap for the weekend, folks?  (It's a 3-dayer for some of us, so perhaps a little extra on Monday if you don't have to be in the office?)

Tomorrow for Love Day I'm cleared by my PT to do 2-3mile easy run!  Going out and getting sweaty with my honey will be a nice way to start our hot date.   We plan to cook later in the day and have tons of organic veggies (we get a bi-weekly package at our door) from our last delivery that we've been too busy to tackle, so perhaps I'll make up for some missed fiber!

Sunday's either a spin or yoga or both, and Monday is PT and time to strategize how I'll approach the 10k coming up (there are a bunch of us going to be in Hyannis then, no?) the following weekend based on my "test run".  Nervous about how my knees'll perform this weekend!

2009-02-13 1:40 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Weekend plan include swim, bike and run tomorrow and a run Sunday. I haven't looked at next weeks scheduled yet, but I hope it's good. 

2009-02-13 2:05 PM

User image

Master
NJ

OK - I just got a yummy recipe from Jessica ~ THANKS

How about we share a healthy, easy to make recipe next week? It's easy to complain about no time to cook but the reality is, by the time you order and pick up a pizza or somehting, you can have a healthy meal prepared and ready.  Tonight we're going to a family style italian restaurant then out to hear my old principal play in his band - not too healthy tonight. But fun

2009-02-13 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Tomorrow I have a 50 mile ride if outside or 2 hour trainer ride with some Z4 low cadence intervals. I will probably do Zumba class in the morning with Emily before bike. I may break up my ride and do part outside and come home and do intervals on the trainer w/tri bike that has my power tap.

Sunday I have a 7 mile run and I usually do an extra swim.

2009-02-13 4:39 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hi group. I am bored at work. Lots to do, don't feel like doing it. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I will be spending most of it resting my legs for Monday. I really cannot wait for the race. It is funny, even when I signed up for it, even though I did it before, it seemed so unachievable. Kind of weird. It still feels crazy. I think some things are crazy no matter how you look at it or what your experience is. I think I will feel the same way on Monday at 9:00 a.m. when they say "go".

It is werid, I don't think I felt the same way about my IM which I was strangely confident about. Maybe I was being a bit niave. The other thing, now that I think about it, is that man it hurt. My IM hurt, and this 50 k, boy did it hurt. So stiff and sore and chaffed. wow. And hungry and thirsty and weak. So maybe that has something to do about it, I have a little better idea about the pain I am planning to get myself into. Who would choose to do that more than once. I understand the first time, I mean you don't know, but the second time, what am I thinking. lol. Oh my.

I also remember those three beers and better part of a large pizza I had after that 50k, heavenly, omg was it good.

I ramble...
2009-02-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1961469

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

BigDH - 2009-02-13 5:39 PM Hi group. I am bored at work. Lots to do, don't feel like doing it. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I will be spending most of it resting my legs for Monday. I really cannot wait for the race. It is funny, even when I signed up for it, even though I did it before, it seemed so unachievable. Kind of weird. It still feels crazy. I think some things are crazy no matter how you look at it or what your experience is. I think I will feel the same way on Monday at 9:00 a.m. when they say "go". It is werid, I don't think I felt the same way about my IM which I was strangely confident about. Maybe I was being a bit niave. The other thing, now that I think about it, is that man it hurt. My IM hurt, and this 50 k, boy did it hurt. So stiff and sore and chaffed. wow. And hungry and thirsty and weak. So maybe that has something to do about it, I have a little better idea about the pain I am planning to get myself into. Who would choose to do that more than once. I understand the first time, I mean you don't know, but the second time, what am I thinking. lol. Oh my. I also remember those three beers and better part of a large pizza I had after that 50k, heavenly, omg was it good. I ramble...

Good luck, Darren!  Be good to your body this weekend and you'll do great!

Beer after a race tastes better than any beer in the world.  Some days that I don't want to train I think about that wonderful taste of success

2009-02-13 5:11 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

BigDH - 2009-02-13 5:39 PM Hi group. I am bored at work. Lots to do, don't feel like doing it. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I will be spending most of it resting my legs for Monday. I really cannot wait for the race. It is funny, even when I signed up for it, even though I did it before, it seemed so unachievable. Kind of weird. It still feels crazy. I think some things are crazy no matter how you look at it or what your experience is. I think I will feel the same way on Monday at 9:00 a.m. when they say "go". It is werid, I don't think I felt the same way about my IM which I was strangely confident about. Maybe I was being a bit niave. The other thing, now that I think about it, is that man it hurt. My IM hurt, and this 50 k, boy did it hurt. So stiff and sore and chaffed. wow. And hungry and thirsty and weak. So maybe that has something to do about it, I have a little better idea about the pain I am planning to get myself into. Who would choose to do that more than once. I understand the first time, I mean you don't know, but the second time, what am I thinking. lol. Oh my. I also remember those three beers and better part of a large pizza I had after that 50k, heavenly, omg was it good. I ramble...

Love the ramble Darren.....the musings of an endurance athlete! You are a wonderful example of dedication and fortitude. You have trained hard, know what you are getting into.....and will rock it!

Rest up this weekend. Are you going to carb load like crazy?  

2009-02-13 5:36 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Good evening to my peeps! I took a rest day today. Figured my body is trying to tell me something, so I shall listen. 

Of course how much of a rest day is it really? Now I must go and work a 12 hour night shift! 

Happy Friday the 13!!

2009-02-13 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1961528

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
aquagirl - 2009-02-13 5:36 PM

Good evening to my peeps! I took a rest day today. Figured my body is trying to tell me something, so I shall listen. 

Of course how much of a rest day is it really? Now I must go and work a 12 hour night shift! 

Happy Friday the 13!!

A 12 hr shift used to be my rest day too.  Go figure we use the rest day from training to work our bodies to a crisp taking care of PTS!!  At least yours are always little and don't require lift help of 6 cause you've got the ginormous lady that hasn't had a bath in months.
2009-02-14 7:21 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!!  Hugs to my BT friends.

Have a great race Darren & Jessica!!!

2009-02-14 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You ramble as you have a big event ahead of you that you know how challenging and rewarding it will be. Strange how doing something that hurts a lot we are driven to do it again.

I look forward to your post race ramblings too

2009-02-14 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1960220

User image

Veteran
Manhattan

Hi to all in the the Queen Zip and KathyG group.  I'm drcherrybomb21.  I have never been in a mentor group so I'm not quite sure how to make the intro.  I will just tell you about me and my training.

I'm a 35 year old mother of triplet girls.  Today is actually their birthdays.  Nice Valentines present huh?  I'm a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing full time in Greenwich, CT.  I am actually there 4 days a week and I teach at NYU on Tuesdays.  I live in New York City, so on the 4 days I am in CT, I commute an hour each way.  It's a lot of lost time.  I often do mike bike workouts on the trainer at 4:30 am or late at night after the kids go to sleep.

I got divorced this past year and am increadibly happy.  I have a boyfriend now for 6 months.   He doesn't do tri, but is incredibly supportive.  My ex actually does tri and we get along great and talk about our training.  We are both doing the NYC tri and it will make for some really healthy competition.  He was actually one of my inspirations to get into this.  My others were my friends Shane and Anita.  They are not on this site, but I am planning on doing 2 sprints with them this year.

I started this craziness in July.  When I started I was not a runner, swimmer, and didn't even know how to ride a bike.  I learned on a piece of crap from my sis ,and then bought a road bike on the classifieds here from another great BT member.  I learned to ride clipped in in my hallway, but did my share of falling.   I was pretty bruised. 

I did my first sprint in San diego in October.  It was an all women's tri.  I think it was a good first.  I finished in 1:42:20.  I was ok with that.  My swim was my first in open water.  I did all my training in the pool.  It was a challenge and made me realize I need to get in more open water time before my next race.

As part of my new life, I decided to get my tubes tied and a tummy tuck.  The tubal ligation only took me out of training for 2 days.  The tummy tuck was more challenging.  As per Murphy's Law since I'm a doc, I had some complications.  I came back strong but then my incision broke down and I developed a seroma.  I was attached to a crazy VAC machine for a few weeks.  I worked, but no working out.  I was out from training 3 months.  Coming back was difficult, but mostly from a mental standpoint.  While out of training I was spending all the free time when I didnt have my kids, with my BF.  He has been great though and very supportive.  He also had surgery a few months ago and had not returned to weightlifting, so he is using this opportunity to get back too.  We do some of our strength workouts together.

So my first Olympic tri is supposed to be St. Anthony's in Florida.  In preparation for that I picked the Olympic Basic 12 week program.  It is really tough. It requires a lot of time.  So far I have been able to keep up, but I'm sure I wil have to miss some workouts due to life. Life just gets in the way like that.  I have a another Olympic and 3 other sprints planned.  I may throw another Oly in there.  we will see.  I am also considering trying to train for the NYC marathon  on 2010, but I'm not sure I'm capable.  I will see how my running goes.  I'm not a big fan of running.

I see there is a lot of focus on nutririon on this site.  I'm realy bad with that.  I don't eat great.  I never have.  I don't count calories.  I would like to lose 10 lbs, but I think with the muscle I have built that isnt really possible.  I might be able to trim 5.

So that's me.  I will take any advice.

2009-02-14 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hi Michele! Welcome to the group!

Edited by aquagirl 2009-02-14 12:38 PM
2009-02-14 12:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Hi Michelle! Welcome aboard.  Looks like you have a good race season planned out.
2009-02-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1962125

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Welcome!  I started all of this in September, so I'm right behind you.....include the fresh bruises from clips - excpet mine were vs. a garbage truck.  The beeping still gives me flashbacks! 

How old are your triplets?  I have one in college, one in HS and one in middle school.  One school might make it all a bit easier!

LindaCool

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71