BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-20 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4164024

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
kgore - 2012-04-20 10:28 PM

Good luck Kirk and Allen!!! You guys will kick serious behind--I just know it.

I completed my 25 mile ride tonight--w/ a personal best time! 1:35:03---my last best was at a race last year: 1:50:49....I was a aiming for 1:30, but I'll take it...especially considering it was the first time that I had broken the average of 15mph. Lots of birds tonight--and bugs---my solid blue shirt was covered in little black dots at the halfway point! And of course a couple(?) of the little bugs got into my jersey and bit me--so I was quite itchy, I even had to stop to scratch it was so bad. ick...Once I got home I found a bunch of little tiny red dots on my back. Good to know I wasn't imagining it. 

No races for me this weekend, just more working out--6 mile run tomorrow and a swim workout in the pool on Sunday; hopefully it will be a rest day on Monday---7 days in a row is my limit (at least this season! )

Those little buggers.  Not too much you can do to solve that issue though...  at least you're outside!

2012-04-21 12:22 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great start to the weekend everyone!

Good luck racers!

I am sitting in a hotel in Las Vegas, In-N-Out in my belly.  Not exactly a pre-race dinner as I don't run until about 2:00 AM on Sunday morning but I wouldn't try In-N-Out right before a race.  I like it but don't want to taste it during the race.

My happy news is that my 23 year old son is going to a bike swap tomorrow.  I've been encouraging him to ride but my roadie is small for him.  I suggested he go to the bike swap tomorrow and told him I would "subsidize" his purchase.  He went today to do some recon of the bikes and saw a roadie and a tri bike he liked. Oddly enough I discouraged the tri-bike purchase as he is not interested (yet) in getting into tri.  (This sport is expensive enough paying for my gear and entrance fees).  It's gonna get really expensive if he gets into it too. But if he shows interest I'll probably help him do it to keep him active.

2012-04-21 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4164021

User image

England
KansasMom - 2012-04-21 4:20 AM
jobaxas - 2012-04-20 9:37 PM

90mins run done - awesome, weather is perfect, ran along the Ironman Melbourne beach path - bay looks great, trying to get a hold of my neighbour see if he fancies an OWS later before it gets dark, just looks perfect down there.

Now off to the LBS for my tubes and get me a coffee!  LOVE TRAINING!

Beautiful! I've been missing my long runs. I am seriously considering going out tonight to run, but I am so tired. My allergies are really kicking my butt. My system is exhausted.

[/QUOTE

Hope you wake re-charged and ready to take on the worldLaughing.

2012-04-21 1:21 AM
in reply to: #4164042

User image

England
TriRx - 2012-04-21 5:12 AM
kgore - 2012-04-20 10:28 PM

Good luck Kirk and Allen!!! You guys will kick serious behind--I just know it.

I completed my 25 mile ride tonight--w/ a personal best time! 1:35:03---my last best was at a race last year: 1:50:49....I was a aiming for 1:30, but I'll take it...especially considering it was the first time that I had broken the average of 15mph. Lots of birds tonight--and bugs---my solid blue shirt was covered in little black dots at the halfway point! And of course a couple(?) of the little bugs got into my jersey and bit me--so I was quite itchy, I even had to stop to scratch it was so bad. ick...Once I got home I found a bunch of little tiny red dots on my back. Good to know I wasn't imagining it. 

No races for me this weekend, just more working out--6 mile run tomorrow and a swim workout in the pool on Sunday; hopefully it will be a rest day on Monday---7 days in a row is my limit (at least this season! )

Those little buggers.  Not too much you can do to solve that issue though...  at least you're outside!

Nice job on the bike time. I'd be happy with that sort of time over 25m for sure.

2012-04-21 1:26 AM
in reply to: #4164075

User image

England
rrrunner - 2012-04-21 6:22 AM

Good luck racers!

I am sitting in a hotel in Las Vegas, In-N-Out in my belly.  Not exactly a pre-race dinner as I don't run until about 2:00 AM on Sunday morning but I wouldn't try In-N-Out right before a race.  I like it but don't want to taste it during the race.

My happy news is that my 23 year old son is going to a bike swap tomorrow.  I've been encouraging him to ride but my roadie is small for him.  I suggested he go to the bike swap tomorrow and told him I would "subsidize" his purchase.  He went today to do some recon of the bikes and saw a roadie and a tri bike he liked. Oddly enough I discouraged the tri-bike purchase as he is not interested (yet) in getting into tri.  (This sport is expensive enough paying for my gear and entrance fees).  It's gonna get really expensive if he gets into it too. But if he shows interest I'll probably help him do it to keep him active.

Didn't realise you were also racing this weekend TJ. What sort of start time is 2.00AM???? Also what is 'In and Out?' Good luck with your race and let us all know how it went.

2012-04-21 1:54 AM

User image

England

Ok guys and girls. Need your advice/comments cause i have no experience in this area.

I have checked the forcast for my race tommorrow. I race at 8.00 am. At this time the weather will only be 44 degrees with a 50% chance of rain (possibly including thunderstorms and hail) and a 10mph wind Cry. I guess that if anything is going to 'Harden The Frog Up', it will be my first race!

Now, i don't want to 'do a Yanti' and end up with hypothermia by the time i cross the finish line but i am totally perplexed as to what to wear as i haven't really done much training in these sort of conditions and the little i have done, has been for a much shorter time period than my race.

My swim is not a problem as it is pool based.

I was planning to wear my tri shorts for the whole race and add a light weight t-shirt and lightweight hi-viz jacket at T1 for my bike. The jacket is not remotely waterproof and is there mainly to keep a little wind off me plus warn traffic as we are open roads. I wore it on my run in the rain a few days ago and was soaked within two minutes.

At T2 i was going to ditch the jacket.

If it rains, i am concerned that the cold will really affect my performance as i don't tend to feel warm when riding the bike anyway due to the wind chill, but this weather will take it down a whole new level. Should i cough up for a new riding jacket that is waterproof though i can't really afford one? Should i wear an extra layer under my existing jacket?

Finally, being 'follically challenged', my head can also get cold. I am thinking of wearing a woolly hat under my biking helmet. I have not done this before. Good idea or stupid?

Will keep checking the posts throughout the day in case you guys persuade me to get to the shops to pick up something useful.

Finally, thanks for all the great 'inspires' i have been sent. I have not replied to them cos i couldn't figure out how to do it but i think i might have solved that now. (its only taken three months)

2012-04-21 2:58 AM
in reply to: #4164095

User image

Elite
Connecticut
ukweeble - 2012-04-21 2:54 AM

Ok guys and girls. Need your advice/comments cause i have no experience in this area.

I have checked the forcast for my race tommorrow. I race at 8.00 am. At this time the weather will only be 44 degrees with a 50% chance of rain (possibly including thunderstorms and hail) and a 10mph wind Cry. I guess that if anything is going to 'Harden The Frog Up', it will be my first race!

You my friend are a better person than I.  If that were the forecast for my first race I would take it as a sign from above that it is not meant to be and I should get some extra sleep.

2012-04-21 3:00 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

My legs are a tad sore from yesterday's activities.  It feels good!  Taking today off as I have Cub Scouts/LAX/baseball with the kids but back at it tomorrow.  Consistency is key!

Good luck to everyone racing today!

2012-04-21 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
ukweeble - 2012-04-21 1:54 AM

Now, i don't want to 'do a Yanti' and end up with hypothermia by the time i cross the finish line but i am totally perplexed as to what to wear as i haven't really done much training in these sort of conditions and the little i have done, has been for a much shorter time period than my race.

I was planning to wear my tri shorts for the whole race and add a light weight t-shirt and lightweight hi-viz jacket at T1 for my bike. The jacket is not remotely waterproof and is there mainly to keep a little wind off me plus warn traffic as we are open roads. I wore it on my run in the rain a few days ago and was soaked within two minutes.

If it rains, i am concerned that the cold will really affect my performance as i don't tend to feel warm when riding the bike anyway due to the wind chill, but this weather will take it down a whole new level. Should i cough up for a new riding jacket that is waterproof though i can't really afford one? Should i wear an extra layer under my existing jacket?

Finally, being 'follically challenged', my head can also get cold. I am thinking of wearing a woolly hat under my biking helmet. I have not done this before. Good idea or stupid?

Will keep checking the posts throughout the day in case you guys persuade me to get to the shops to pick up something useful.

Finally, thanks for all the great 'inspires' i have been sent. I have not replied to them cos i couldn't figure out how to do it but i think i might have solved that now. (its only taken three months)

Being a warm weather resident, I don't know that I can offer too much help, but I think a long-sleeved shirt with a jacket sounds good.  I would also wear gloves because my hands get cold very easily and 44* on the bike would make them feel like ice.

I agree with ditching the jacket for the run.

You certainly will have a great story to tell about your first tri.  In fact, over time you can embellish it so that you end up with snow and hurricane force winds!

Have fun (?)!

2012-04-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4164041

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriRx - 2012-04-20 11:10 PM

Beautiful! I've been missing my long runs. I am seriously considering going out tonight to run, but I am so tired. My allergies are really kicking my butt. My system is exhausted.

Drugs are your friend...have you considered OTC antihistamines?  (the long acting ones, loratadine, cetirizine, fexofenadine.  not benadryl)  Allergies blow (hehehe pun kinda intended...).  Hope you get enough rest to feel recharged and get those allergies kicked the heII outa town!

Yes. I take cetirizine every morning, Benadryl at night, and I use Flonaise. It's just a really bad time of year right now. :-(

2012-04-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4164089

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ukweeble - 2012-04-21 1:26 AM

Didn't realise you were also racing this weekend TJ. What sort of start time is 2.00AM???? Also what is 'In and Out?' Good luck with your race and let us all know how it went.

Did you actually ask that???

Only the best hamburgers in the world. I also crave their chocolate shakes. Fortunately, the closest one to us is about 1000 miles away. lol So I have an In and Out about once every three years.

2012-04-21 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4164075

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rrrunner - 2012-04-21 12:22 AM

Good luck racers!

Have a great time. Running at 2:00 a.m. sounds kind of exciting!

2012-04-21 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ukweeble - 2012-04-21 1:54 AM

Oh, boy. I hope the weather turns out better than they are expecting.

Wear something warm under the jacket -- you may want to spring for something water proof, but I don't necessarily think it needs to be super fancy or expensive. I second wearing gloves -- full finger gloves.

Remember, you lose heat primarily through your head, feet, and hands. Your legs will actually probably be okay.

I wear something over my ears (and yes, it does look dorky); in your case, I would probably opt for smart wool socks, even on the bike (I don't usually wear socks on the bike at all, and am actually transitioning from wearing them at all on the run, as well).

If it ends up not raining, just something warm on your core, gloves on the bike, something over your ears, and socks will probably be okay.

In the race I did last week, the wind was stronger but the temperature was higher (about 60) and there was no rain. On the bike, I ended up not wearing gloves or socks (although I brought them), but wore an underarmour fleece jacket and something over my ears. I didn't wear the jacket or the ear covers during the run.

It will be okay. Just remember that it won't be longer than 90-120 minutes (a sprint, right?), so you can put up with almost anything.

Oh, and remember to bring something dry to change into. That will make a huge difference in how comfortable/uncomfortable you will be.

2012-04-21 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
^^^^^^ Listen to KansasMom, she races in tornadoes!

Edited by cdban66 2012-04-21 9:18 AM
2012-04-21 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
OK, here is my day, offered as the antithesis to Kirk and Allen.

Wake at 6:30, coffee. 7:00 am, get the smoker started, wood soaked overnight in beer & water. Rub the pork with a dry rub that includes brown sugar, salt, and a variety of spices. 7:15 am, place the pork in the smoker and then go run 48 minutes through the neighborhood. Get home, add more beer soaked wood to the smoker. Continue this for the next 6 hours. Eventually, I'll pull the pork and have friends over for a party.

I may not be racing, but I still need to pace myself.

Enjoy the racing Kirk and Allen. I am actually jealous that you're out there doing it. Smile all the while and you'll have memories to last you a good long time!
2012-04-21 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nothing to add for Allen, Felicia covered it quite well.  A warm jacket and something over the ears will help bunches.

I also second Felicia's assessment of In-N-Out, it IS the best burger on the planet.  We don't have one at home either so I only get it one or two times a year.

As for my race it is a relay called Baker to Vegas.  It starts in Baker, California and ends in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is 120 miles and each team has 20 runners.  I am leg 17.  This is my 3rd year on this team with this leg and I enjoy it.  I run from 7.5 miles out of Vegas to the very edge of Vegas so I get to run toward the Vegas city lights for most of my run.  I enjoy the 2 AM temps as compared to the folks running today (our team starts in about 2 hours) who will be facing 90 - 100 temps. Each runner is followed by a support car and those of us running at night wear a blinking vest. 

It's not a tri but I enjoy doing it. The teams consist of local, state and federal law enforcement from all over the US and around the world (last year I got passed by a guy from the Canadian Mounted Police).

2012-04-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4164264

User image

Master
Orlando

cdban66 - 2012-04-21 9:18 AM OK, here is my day, offered as the antithesis to Kirk and Allen. Wake at 6:30, coffee. 7:00 am, get the smoker started, wood soaked overnight in beer & water. Rub the pork with a dry rub that includes brown sugar, salt, and a variety of spices. 7:15 am, place the pork in the smoker and then go run 48 minutes through the neighborhood. Get home, add more beer soaked wood to the smoker. Continue this for the next 6 hours. Eventually, I'll pull the pork and have friends over for a party. I may not be racing, but I still need to pace myself. Enjoy the racing Kirk and Allen. I am actually jealous that you're out there doing it. Smile all the while and you'll have memories to last you a good long time!

NIce!  I hope the rain projected for us misses you or you're done smoking before it gets there.

2012-04-21 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4164299

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
rrrunner - 2012-04-21 11:10 AM

Nothing to add for Allen, Felicia covered it quite well.  A warm jacket and something over the ears will help bunches.

I also second Felicia's assessment of In-N-Out, it IS the best burger on the planet.  We don't have one at home either so I only get it one or two times a year.

As for my race it is a relay called Baker to Vegas.  It starts in Baker, California and ends in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is 120 miles and each team has 20 runners.  I am leg 17.  This is my 3rd year on this team with this leg and I enjoy it.  I run from 7.5 miles out of Vegas to the very edge of Vegas so I get to run toward the Vegas city lights for most of my run.  I enjoy the 2 AM temps as compared to the folks running today (our team starts in about 2 hours) who will be facing 90 - 100 temps. Each runner is followed by a support car and those of us running at night wear a blinking vest. 

It's not a tri but I enjoy doing it. The teams consist of local, state and federal law enforcement from all over the US and around the world (last year I got passed by a guy from the Canadian Mounted Police).

That sounds very cool, enjoy the run. I would think that your leg would be a great view and much more manageable temps.

Have a great time!
2012-04-21 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I guess I am pretty lucky, and don't realize it--we have In n Outs like crazy around here--but I never eat there...I know, I obviously have issues for not wanting to eat there( I swear, its just cause I don't eat fast food--not for lack of taste!!!)--you all may flog me later.
2012-04-21 11:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Well, our Captain Kirk (Tripopo) should be out there right now ...

GO KIRK GO!!!

Can't wait for him to get back and the war stories, whatever they are.

2012-04-21 12:04 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I am now in a deep depression because In-N-Out really is the finest fast food forever and of course we haven't any here.

We do, however, have piglet delivery of most other fast foods 24/7, so there's that.

Plus I was surrounded and cuddled by a ton of real piglets today at the marathon expo, so there's that. Famous ones and Olympians, too! I felt so loved.

***I should clarify that I am definitely NOT running any kind of race tomorrow. Nor walking, nor even viewing. But I had to make a large cash delivery in person nearby race headquarters, so I thought I may as well stop in and get my goodie bag and T-shirt. Nice cap, too.

***Unfortunately every time I leave my house for any reason all sorts of crazy stuff happens, so I'm hiding out at my sister's house after running from the cops. In my car, don't worry, no running necessary. And no, I'm not in any kind of trouble. It's a long story. I should be able to leave in an hour or two.

Edited by TriAya 2012-04-21 12:09 PM

2012-04-21 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4164234

User image

England
KansasMom - 2012-04-21 2:43 PM

Only the best hamburgers in the world. I also crave their chocolate shakes. Fortunately, the closest one to us is about 1000 miles away. lol So I have an In and Out about once every three years.

i guess the closest one to me must be 5000miles away, guessi'll just have to wait.

2012-04-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4164435

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-22 2:01 AM
KansasMom - 2012-04-21 2:43 PM

i guess the closest one to me must be 5000miles away, guessi'll just have to wait.

ALLEN! It must be terribly early where you are. I was just coming by to WISH YOU LUCK!!!

Oh, and that's the second time I've heard "do a Yanti" today TO BE CLEAR in reference to getting hypothermic during a race. How very odd. Must think about your attire ...

2012-04-21 1:08 PM

User image

Seattle
One of my bday presents finally came yesterday!!!! Ummm obviously any speed gains I make from here on out and be attributed to these shoes! 
2012-04-21 1:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Hmmmm, yes I am thinking about your question Allen. I just so happen to live in that 44 and raining climate. 

I always feel like the more non-waterproof layers the worse off you are. I have found that it just soaks through and makes you colder. I tend to wear the very minimum. Especially because even the things that are deemed "waterproof" only are to a certain extent. 

It's a sprint, correct?

Maybe you could just wear some sort of a jacket to shield the wind for the bike portion and then ditch it for the run? You will heat up for the run, I think.

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-04-21 1:11 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81