BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4621337

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Blanda - 2013-02-13 6:05 PMYesterday I got home from work and got ready to run. Running clothes, shoes, and sunscreen. Laid on my bed to take a breather and passed out. Slept hard for about an hour and a 1/2.

I'll have to make that up today, haha!
Did you log it? You should have, if not!

2013-02-14 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Happy Valentines Day!
2013-02-14 7:04 AM

User image

Master

Michael: I do love it when I improve and do well. It's a great reward for all the hard work. Ha! Love to watch the Spurs when I get a chance.

Jim: Yay, 50m pool! Sounds like an awesome day of training.

Rene: Hope it was just a bad day for you and you'll have better swim days soon.

Dacuna01 (Is it Dave?): Nice double day! Sorry about the wrist. Hope it's nothing a couple days of taking it easy with it won't help.

Jamie:I should have, no? Haha! I was soooo ready too!

Well, I got the swim and 10 mile make-up run in.

The swim was crazy. The water was super rough. Lots of waves that seemed like I could body surf on if I wanted to. If I didn't time my breathing just right, I put my face right up into one. I did learn quite a bit. Relaxing helped me stay on top of the water, even on top of the waves. I had to roll almost onto my back a few times to get my mouth out of the water, but I was impressed with how calm I was the whole time. Yes, sometimes I impress myself, lol! I was doing laps on the outside of a ocean "pool". I'll take a pic next time I'm there. Had the safety of two sides of something I could reach quickly, and the oceanic activity of the open waters. Got in 1000m of wrestling with the waves and current.

The 10 mile run was a make-up of yesterday's that I missed. Late at night after a hamburger. Slow, but steady and very relaxing. Quite enjoyable, really.

Tomorrow I hope to get a bike/run brick in at lunch. Must not dilly-dally in the morning if it's to happen.

Have a great day!

2013-02-14 7:20 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My head cold that I talked about the other day has definitely worsened. I have cut back on the training quite a bit. Usually I train right through but this is really affecting me.

I did get in a swim yesterday and did a 500 TT (for those of you reading triathlon talk, I didn't curse at or assault the person I was sharing my lane with -I did feel like a rock star because I was literally swimming twice as fast as my lane-mate) I managed to average 1:30/100 and at the end I was a little disappointed because I think I could have given more. This is a recurring problem with swimming for me. I don't know how to pace right/push hard. Being in the water is not my natural element and so it seems like I always hold back too much. I don't know if it is the breathing thing or what. I have no problems going to the edge runnning, I am not as good a testing the limit on the bike, and I suck at pushing to the limit on the swim.... although I think I am getting better. It is hard to make up for all those hundreds of thousands of yards that I DIDN'T swim as a kid.
2013-02-14 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Planning a real 'off' day today.  Busy work schedule then taking my bride of 38 years out to dinner for Valentines Day.

Everybody have a great day.

2013-02-14 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
10 mile run along Carlsbad Beach this morning!  Weather was perfect, sunny and 60 degrees this morning. 

2013-02-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4622480

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It is not 60 and sunny here in Michigan, just so you know.

I am seriously jealous.
2013-02-14 2:41 PM

User image

Master
60 here. If it makes you feel better I'm still on house arrest from running.
2013-02-14 5:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Finally a little sunshine in Mobile. Looks like the Carnival ship is being towed to Mobile. The cruise ship dock is right downtown...about a mile from my office. I should get a good look at it on my way into work tomorrow....hopefully I won't smell it

Really good bike workout for me this afternoon. Tomorrow will be swim at lunch and then a run in the afternoon. Daughter has a HS soccer tournament tomorrow evening and Saturday so I'll be moving workouts around to get everything in. 

2013-02-14 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Maybe I need to have bad days at the pool more often. I saw numbers on my swim tonight that I've NEVER seen before. And actually never expected to see in my lifetime. Almost had a a heart attack at the pool when I saw the numbers. Details in my training log.

There is hope after all.

Stopped off on the way home and picked up a 6 pack of Shiner Cheer to celebrate!

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-14 6:49 PM
2013-02-14 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4618573

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Been super busy the last two days - looks like all I missed was a bunch of good training!

Nice job Rene  See?  We all have good and bad days....personally I have good and bad weeks so I've got some work to do there LOL

Speaking of swims, I'm thinking about taking swim lessons.  I guess I'll see what the YMCA has to offer or some of the local tri clubs.  Not that I'm a bad swimmer but I haven't had lessons since I was a kid and I figure I can use all the help I can get!

I did miss yesterday but things are looking up.  DH has been cleared to drive so I won't be the chauffeur all the time anymore - YAY!  They said the brace comes off 6 weeks after surgery so we're pretty much counting down to March 19th, which also happens to be my 40th birthday - double whammy!  Anyway I feel so much better when I get my swim or bike in so I'm planning on hitting the pool tomorrow am.

Oh Randy - I've been following the news on that Carnival ship - definitely let us know what you see!  I'm so curious and disgusted at the same time LOL

Happy Valentines day!

2013-02-14 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Got my swim workout in this morning, and just finished up my hour on the trainer. It was the first ride I've tried on the Adamo Road saddle I got. It felt good, no numbness or discomfort, which was great. Today, my left Achilles felt a little tweaked. It didn't hurt much, but I have definitely strained it a little. I'll be taking it easy on my next couple running sessions, just in case. Looking forward to not swimming and sleeping in tomorrow! 

Now, it's time to sit on the couch with my legs up and watch some basketball!

2013-02-14 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Got in a 26 mile ride today. Kind of windy and chilly but still better than the trainer. My wrist felt ok on the bike, which I suspected would be the case. I'm going to do a gentle swim and run tomorrow morning since a have a sprint race Saturday AM. Speaking of cruises, my wife just scheduled the family for one over spring break. Our first one as a family. I'm a little nervous given the history these things seem to have. I'm also worried how it's going to affect the training but my wife says the work out facilities and the running track is nice (she's been on one before).
2013-02-14 10:19 PM

User image

New user
Dacuna I have been on 5 or 6 cruises and never had any problems. I have found them to be well organized and a good way to see multiple locations. I did a Panama Canal one that was amazing.

Week 7 of my sprint training and it is going really well. I have had two swim lessons so far and picked up some great tips and critiques. I swam 100 yards without stopping. My form deteriorated but I did make it. Now just have to do that times three!
2013-02-15 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Forced myself to get out of bed this morning for swim practice, but as always, I'm glad I did! Probably my best swim practice yet. I kept up with some of the faster swimmers in the lane next to me. The coach even commented on it and said I was looking good. Laughing

1hr 15min run at lunch time. (Came into work early and am leaving late) Hard part of the week is over (Swimming) so I'm looking forward to my long sessions over these next 3 days.

Everyone have a great Friday!

2013-02-15 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Ok, discussion question for everyone, especially those of you logging a lot of hours: At what point are you "injured?" I ask because it's my #1 fear in training for my Ironman, that sometime in the next 5 months, something will happen that will keep me from training. I know all about listening to the body, but, take for instance, my achilles, which felt like I had tweaked it a little. It isn't serious (I'd say it's .05 on a scale of 1-10), but at what point is something serious enough that it interrupts your training? I ask because it seems like a tough judgement call: you don't want to ignore things and have them exacerbate over time, but you can't train 8-12 hours/week with no nagging aches and pains, right? So, when is it serious enough to take time off?

2013-02-15 1:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-good question. Not sure there is a hard and fast answer. A certain amount of soreness and stiffness is to be expected with increase in training volume and/or intensity. I would be most concerned with pain that does not go away with activity. Usually, an easy run, bike or swim will help with muscle soreness/stiffness but if it is a pain that gets worse during the course of a workout or makes you change your stride/stroke then I would back off and take a rest. It is very individualized though. Some people are very in tune with their bodies and through experience can identify the typical minor issues and distinguish them from a more serious issue.

Foam rolling, trigger point roller, stretching, massage and yoga are all good ways to help with soft tissue pain/soreness. I think they also help the body recover from all of the training. However, those things will do nothing to help get a stress fracture heal or feel better....those just take time. Some of the medical guys here may be able to give you a better idea with some additional information.  In general though....its a long season. Better to miss a few days of running now to allow it to heal than to miss 1-2 months later in the season. Big picture....a few missed days now really won't matter come Summer.

Its somthing that is a part of triathlon training I'm afraid. Just wait till you are 50! Something always hurts

Edited by slornow 2013-02-15 1:39 PM
2013-02-15 3:24 PM

User image

Master
For running pains I have the 1/2 mile test. If it still hurts after the first half mile then I make myself stop and walk home. Normally after the first half mile my endorphins kick in and nothing seems to hurt anymore.
If your training plan is planned well you should have active recovery days built in that should take care of normal muscle soreness. Which Itonman race are you doing?
2013-02-15 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jamie I am not sure I can speak to the broader question but an expert on Achilles tendonitis.  I had two bouts last year.  First and foremost, DO NOT try to run through or tough out Achilles pain.  Treating it before it is too bad can make all the difference between a week or two of no running and 4-5 months.  The good thing is you can generally still swim and bike while an Achilles is recovering.  Find a good PT and let them help.  A good one can greatly reduce the recovery time.

Randy really…”Just wait till you are 50! Something always hurts.”  My first tri was two months ago at age 57.  I was feeling great after my ride today but after reading this, I am ready for the rocking chair. Wink

Speaking of my ride.  After my first full day off with not even any active recovery (devoted that time to my wife for Valentine’s Day) today was 70 degrees and almost no wind.  Couldn’t resist a pre-lunch ride.  I was about 80% through and had just finished the three hill run towards home and decided to cut off, loop around and do the hills again.  27.75 miles in all.

When I got home my wife asked me where I went because I was longer than the ride I told her I was taking should be.  When I told her she ask “Who thought that was a good idea?” Since I am still smiling I guess I did!

2013-02-15 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Well, work crashed into my plans today so no workout. This will be my rest day for the week. Just as well since I have a sprint tomorrow am. Hope you guys all have a great weekend!

Edited by dacuna01 2013-02-15 8:49 PM
2013-02-15 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4624273

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Catwoman - 2013-02-15 4:24 PM Which Itonman race are you doing?

I'm doing Raleigh 70.3 and IM Louisville.

I got my 1:15 run in this evening and felt fine. The achilles didn't bother me at all. Again, I wasn't terribly concerned because it wasn't really painful, just enough to make me notice it. I did some stick rolling after my workout and feel fine now. I was really just asking out of curiosity, since it will be such a long training period until Louisville. I'm really looking forward to a good night's sleep! I'm a lot more conscious of getting rest now, but it's still hard to get 7 or 8 per night, and still get workouts in...without falling asleep every night at 8 or 9!

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-02-15 9:03 PM

2013-02-15 9:03 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Up North again for another family ski weekend. I managed to get the bike and trainer in to the car so I can get in a little extra training.

I have some thoughts on training and injury prevention/recognition but I don't think I can adequately address then via iPhone typing so they will have to wait until I'm back down state.

My cold is almost resolved so I should be ready to get back to it.
2013-02-15 9:19 PM

User image

Expert

I agree with Randy about being in tune with your body.  I've had a calf muscle tear twice in my career and it is a total show stopper.  Working back into running takes weeks if not months after this type of injury, and usually requires baby steps when recovering.  Yesterday I ran 10 miles with calf pain.  This pain however was different and I was able to run through it. By the time my run was halfway done the pain was gone.

I've also had a tibial stress fracture, and that was a show stopper as well.  Fortunately, most injuries for me are mere bothersome aches and pains.  Whenever I have pain I'm not familiar with, I slow down what I'm doing and constantly reassess.  The one exception to this rule is joint pain, eg. shoulder while swimming, or knee while running.  I have a very low threshold to call it a day if this develops, as ligaments and tendons can sustain injuries that no amount of rollers, cold compresses etc, can help.

Got in a 1.25 mile swim this afternoon.  15 minutes core work as well.  Spent the day on the San Diego and Coronado shore front.  Only one more day then I head back to Michigan.  I'm savoring every moment here.  Jim

2013-02-15 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Jason - where are you skiing?  I may be going to Boyne Highlands at the end of the month.  If somehow I can pull it off though, I will go to Utah instead with my son.  I took him there last year where I finally learned to snowboard after falling at least 100 times.  Now I'm hooked!
2013-02-16 6:47 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jimmy-enjoy yourself out there. Sounds like you are staying true to your signature line!

Dave-good luck in your race this morning.

I'm headed to swim. Then to watch soccer game. Then to run. Then to watch another soccer game. Hope everyone has a geat Saturday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66