Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-06-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

And she is the one who moved her desk into my workout area! That she did it because she thinks I'm annoying to share an office with is totally beside the point. :D

So she thinks that having you sweat and grunt on the bike while she's working is less annoying to have you work in the same room?!

LOL what do you do when you're working??!!

:D:D :D

Apparently she finds it annoying that I eat every two hours and when I go to get food, I always ask her if she wants/needs anything. I can't help it! I'm 1.) hungry and 2.) polite!

2023-06-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Gretchen:  don't sweat the ramp test...you probably didn't have enough recovery (what, maybe two days?) to get prepared for it and you also don't do max-out cycling workouts; I'd leave your FTP where it is for training; and I can't imagine working in the same room as my wife - she types too loud!! 

@Andrew:  glad you're feeling better and that the illness was short - at least you got a recovery week but work travel can be a mess (as you saw); nice work on hitting 56 days in a row...that's no joke

@Nathalie:  yes - shopping cures all woes - problem solved!! 

Back at it after a planned day off - only three workouts before 7:30 AM this morning with 25 minutes warming up on the bike, a 3-mile treadmill run with some 30" pick-ups, and upper body and planks.

2023-06-20 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog

@Gretchen. Although 3,800 is an Ironman swim distance, that would probably be acceptable.

Ahhh...3800m is an Ironman swim. I did 3800yds...:D

Stupid 'freedom units'
2023-06-20 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

but I continue to be stumped by TP's 80/20 intermediate Ironman plans and the zones it posts for workouts. I've decided I just go with what the watch says when it uploads the workouts, but it sucks not quite knowing if I'm doing the prescribed workout, or something a bit too hard.

What is your confusion with the 80:20 zones? I don't use training peaks, but I do have the 80:20 books and base my training off their generic plans and use their workouts.

Their zones are quite different to the generic 5 zone approach, with the X and Y zones being areas to avoid as its not hard enough to get the extra benefit, but is hard enough to stuff up your recovery. Hard is hard, easy is easy, ignore the grey bit in the middle. If you haven't already have a look at: https://www.8020endurance.com/8020-zone-calculator/

If you have any specific question fire away, I may have an answer for you.
2023-06-22 1:12 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

but I continue to be stumped by TP's 80/20 intermediate Ironman plans and the zones it posts for workouts. I've decided I just go with what the watch says when it uploads the workouts, but it sucks not quite knowing if I'm doing the prescribed workout, or something a bit too hard.

What is your confusion with the 80:20 zones? I don't use training peaks, but I do have the 80:20 books and base my training off their generic plans and use their workouts.

Their zones are quite different to the generic 5 zone approach, with the X and Y zones being areas to avoid as its not hard enough to get the extra benefit, but is hard enough to stuff up your recovery. Hard is hard, easy is easy, ignore the grey bit in the middle. If you haven't already have a look at: https://www.8020endurance.com/8020-zone-calculator/

If you have any specific question fire away, I may have an answer for you.

Thanks Andrew, but the issue isn't really with the plan itself, per se. The issue is, I think, with whomever posted them to TP. The workouts often have internal inconsistency. The written part of the plan will say to do one thing, like 6x2:30 in Z4 (running), but then the watch upload will call for 6x2:30 Z5, or Z3. It is just difficult to know which of those things is correct. I've only noticed it with running and only in the level 2 plan. I did the level 1 IM plan last year, and had no problems (that I remember).
2023-06-22 1:20 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The non-rest recovery week continues for me. It has been a physically tough couple of days. Tuesday night after work I went to my friend's apartment and moved furniture and patched wall holes for 4 hours (after carrying two 20L cans of pain from the hardware store half a mile from her apartment). Then yesterday, I got up at the normal time, swam 1800yds, and then went to her place and painted for 13:45--and we only took two short meal breaks, so really painting for that long. It is a tiny apartment, but man, 15' ceilings are tough to paint (along with the 15' walls!)...especially with Egyptian equipment (the ladder we were able to borrow only had one rung on it--should have had six, but only one was left in tact--getting up was a bit of a challenge!). Since I'm taller, I got ceiling and upper wall duty, so extension poles and ladders were the name of the game for me. My shoulders, biceps, and core are completely wrecked today. Quads are barking too from balancing on the ladder and stabilizing it while my friend was on it. Late in the evening we were both so tired we decided a much better (and probably safer) thing to do would be to slide the refrigerator around and stand on it...and that, my friends, is probably the best illustration of what life in Egypt is like.

Was supposed to have a 60' Z3 tempo ride today, but I ended up doing a 30' Z1 recovery ride. Also have ST on the schedule for today, but I'm thinking that will be reallocated to the weekend somewhere. I'm in no condition to do anything

2023-06-22 1:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

The non-rest recovery week continues for me. It has been a physically tough couple of days. Tuesday night after work I went to my friend's apartment and moved furniture and patched wall holes for 4 hours (after carrying two 20L cans of pain from the hardware store half a mile from her apartment). Then yesterday, I got up at the normal time, swam 1800yds, and then went to her place and painted for 13:45--and we only took two short meal breaks, so really painting for that long. It is a tiny apartment, but man, 15' ceilings are tough to paint (along with the 15' walls!)...especially with Egyptian equipment (the ladder we were able to borrow only had one rung on it--should have had six, but only one was left in tact--getting up was a bit of a challenge!). Since I'm taller, I got ceiling and upper wall duty, so extension poles and ladders were the name of the game for me. My shoulders, biceps, and core are completely wrecked today. Quads are barking too from balancing on the ladder and stabilizing it while my friend was on it. Late in the evening we were both so tired we decided a much better (and probably safer) thing to do would be to slide the refrigerator around and stand on it...and that, my friends, is probably the best illustration of what life in Egypt is like.

Was supposed to have a 60' Z3 tempo ride today, but I ended up doing a 30' Z1 recovery ride. Also have ST on the schedule for today, but I'm thinking that will be reallocated to the weekend somewhere. I'm in no condition to do anything requiring muscle strength today.
2023-06-22 2:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nat—sorry to hear you’re feeling down, only natural, though, I’d guess (kid free, so what do I know about it?). Signing up for races sounds like a solid plan to claw out of it though!

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie - we have the same empty nest thing going here to; it's so odd to have the quiet all the time and not having to run around non-stop to school, swim practice, whatever; we do see our daughter fairly often as she goes to college 30 minutes away but still; way to sign up for a bunch of races - nothing like that to motivate you!

Thanks, allowed myself to be sad for a couple of days, I'm feeling better already

Sometimes you just need to let yourself feel sad. Glad you were able to get out of the rut though! Way to use racing!
2023-06-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, you are a saint for helping your friend with all that painting. That sounds really rough! But also sounds like it was a great workout!
I also cannot imagine someone working out in the room I am working in.

Andrew, glad you were only sick for a short period and are on the mend now! Sucks you lost your streak, but it was smart to take a couple days to let your body rest.

Played in a vball tourny Saturday and was very sore from it, but it was nice to move my body that way. Sunday did a 6 mile trail run. It was a bit stressful b/c the guy that usually leads it wasn't there and the people leading it weren't paying attention to keeping people together. I could've kept up with them but also didn't want to lose our other person, so almost got lost myself!

Monday I was pretty lazy, but then played some beach vball that evening. Tuesday I was lazy, and had trivia and drank a little more than planned. Tried to run Wednesday morning but was still a little tipsy, so only got about 2 miles in before giving up. Today I got a solid 4.5 in though, and at 8:30 pace, so was feeling really strong. Going to try to run at least a little every day until we leave for Tahoe.
2023-06-22 10:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Thanks Andrew, but the issue isn't really with the plan itself, per se. The issue is, I think, with whomever posted them to TP. The workouts often have internal inconsistency. The written part of the plan will say to do one thing, like 6x2:30 in Z4 (running), but then the watch upload will call for 6x2:30 Z5, or Z3. It is just difficult to know which of those things is correct. I've only noticed it with running and only in the level 2 plan. I did the level 1 IM plan last year, and had no problems (that I remember).

Ahh I see. That makes more sense.

In that case my advice would be to ignore what the auto upload says and follow the written instructions. In my mind there's more likely to be a software glitch or something than someone setting up the right program, but ten stuffing up the instructions.
2023-06-22 10:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole, Nice job on the 6 mile trail run. Thats a big effort on trials. Hope that your run every day plan goes well. I find once you get into a streak, the fact you have a streak going makes it easier to find the motivation to keep it going. Hopefully that happens for you.

@Gretchen. You need to get back into a heavy training week to give yourself a break. Sounds like paining was a good strength workout. For your 'failed' ramp test, why don't you try a 20 minute FTP test for your retest? Your old FTP and ramp result gives you a guestimate for what to aim at. I'm wondering if the longer test might give you a better FTP result than the ramp. Longer power being more suited to the Ironman type training you've been doing than max efforts you need for a ramp.

@Me. Unfortunately I declared myself over the flu to quickly, and was knocked down again Wednesday/Thursday. I am feeling better again today, so no high intensity workouts, but I am planning on a solid weekend of workouts to get back on track.

Have a good weekend guys.

2023-06-23 3:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew--gahh!!! Sorry to hear you're ailing again! You've had a rough time of it lately (although not as rough as last year!)

@Nicole--run-a-day until Tahoe!! When, again?

As for me...back on the horse today pretty solidly. Ran 95', including a 20' Z3 segment with a 10lb pack on carrying my swim gear/change of clothes/water. Then, I did 1850 yds (gah!) in the pool, including a critical velocity test, which I don't think I've done since 2019...oops! I'm pleased to announce my CV decreased by 0:06 per 100 since then! A little excitement on my run...someone threw a half full beer bottle off the bridge ramp as I was running under it. It shattered right in front of me. Fortunately, I didn't get cut, but I did get a full on splash of Egyptian beer all over my front. That was about 20' into the run, so I got to finish out smelling like Stella beer (NOT Stella Artois...Stella...the motto around here is that if Stella doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger). That was bad enough, but then I had to walk through the Hilton (where I swim) smelling like Stella (and sweat!) at 6:30am. Fortunately, I've been there enough consistently for the last several months, so I think they all must have recognized it wasn't someone rolling in from a long night out...just the crazy agnabii (foreigner) who is always showing up in random states of sweaty and swimming for what they consider a stupid long time. :D

The rest of the day is a broken strength training session...wherein I do one set of something every time I get up. Either I convince myself to sit still for longer periods and get some work done, or I get my strength training in...win, win.
2023-06-24 2:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy Saturday! Yesterday we celebrated midsummer over here so there was a little more drinking than usual but I didn’t overdo it. Before the party, I managed a 50k/1k brick. Today I am cycling back there to get the car, about 35 to 40k I guess.

Played a little soccer with the kids yesterday. I was in goal and made some spectacular saves (in my head they were spectacular anyway ) it was fun and I didn’t hurt myself. That was before dinner so had not been drinking yet. Would not risk it with a couple of drinks in me.

One week until my first race of the season. Excited!

Sorry you are not over your flu yet Andrew, do take it easy.

Gretchen, raining beer sounds like fun but not if it’s in the bottle, glad you didn’t get hurt!

Nicole, one run a day sounds like a great idea!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-06-24 2:43 AM
2023-06-25 3:27 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday was a scheduled 3 hr trainer ride, which turned into a 2:37 trainer ride after I started feeling quite nauseous and light headed. I suspect I fouled up my nutrition somehow and just really couldn't be bothered to try to push through it, given it is rest week and the whole Z2 ride kinda felt like it was harder than it would have been. I think I was still carrying some residual fatigue from painting (and maybe last week and my HM). It is also starting to get hot here, and the AC isn't sufficient. Okay, it might be, but since it is in the bedroom and not the living room, it is hard to know...it isn't big/powerful enough to cool the whole apartment all at one time, that's for sure.

This morning was a 2000yd swim, which felt really good. Nothing special, but was a nice end to a rough rest week.

Tomorrow is rest day, which I plan to take very easy. Then starts the last full build to race week...7 weeks from today and counting!
2023-06-25 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, 7 weeks till show time? I forgot it was that close. Enjoy the peak weeks, always a tiring but satisfying time.

@Nahtalie, 1 week to go? Awesome. Are you tapering at all or just another week?

My flu has not yet 100% gone, so taking it relatively easy still. I rode 90 minutes on zwift at sports watching speed Friday and Saturday nights and did an hour run with a friend Sunday morning. 90 minutes wa penciled in but the weather was miserable, I'm on the recovery from flu and the coffee shop looked so warm and inviting as we ran past. So an hour it was.

Hoping for a good, non sick week this week. After a month of broken toe and on and off again flu it's time for some more consistency again.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2023-06-26 12:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day for me today. Enjoyed a bit of a sleep in, then coffee and puzzles on the balcony in the cool early morning. Last night I meal prepped for the week, so I won't enjoy another day of nothing but protein shakes (that was yesterday's diet). I'm either all in on the diet, or all out...I can't seem to get the balance right here. Three weeks until I move back home.

2023-06-26 2:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You're right in taking it easy Andrew, soon time for consistency again!

Enjoy the rest day Gretchen!

First longer swim of the season yesterday, 2000 m and some peeling off my wetsuit practice. Got a coach look at my technique last week and he made some tweaks to my catch which seems to be working, as the average pace over the 2000m including the rests was less slow than usual.

I guess you could call it taper week. Rest day today, just some transition practice. Tuesday swim run training and Wednesday intervals with my club as usual. Rest day on Thursday and a quick easy brwim on Friday is on the menu I just wrote.

Here are last week's numbers:

Swim 4110m 1h51 - Biggest swim week of the year
Bike 109km 4h18 - not bad either
Run: 12k -1h28 No long run this week, only the intervals and swim-run.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-06-26 6:59 AM
2023-06-26 7:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Rest day for me today. Enjoyed a bit of a sleep in, then coffee and puzzles on the balcony in the cool early morning. Last night I meal prepped for the week, so I won't enjoy another day of nothing but protein shakes (that was yesterday's diet). I'm either all in on the diet, or all out...I can't seem to get the balance right here. Three weeks until I move back home.

That is me at all times, all in or all out. I either prep and crush it or eat out every meal.
2023-06-26 8:09 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy Monday everyone!

Andrew I'm so sorry to hear your flu was worse than you thought. Good luck getting back to healthy and consistent this week!

Gretchen, 2:37 is still a really long ride, so great job pushing to that point!

Nat, way to not hurt yourself playing soccer! I'm sure the saves were pretty amazing!
2023-06-26 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Okay so the day after I said I was going to run every day until Tahoe I failed, but I had a pretty solid few days since. Friday I woke up stressed and just ended up working. Saturday I ran 5.2 miles at 8:40 pace. Pretty flat, I ran along the Harbor Promenade, but I really pushed it. I hiked 5.25 yesterday with a friend of mine, took about 2 hours. This morning I woke up and ran 3.2. My legs are definitely feeling pretty fatigued.

I leave for Tahoe next Wednesday, 7/5, and the race is Friday and Saturday. I'm going to keep pushing through next Sunday (7/2), then take Monday and maybe Tuesday either off or easy. I know we are planning some hikes Wednesday and Thursday to get acclimated. I'm so excited and nervous! I also need some yoga/stretching!
2023-06-26 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Had a bit of a rough week mentally as my company announced they're moving most of us into offices next year, so that's been a distraction for sure.  Still got in a good running, strength and yoga week and crushed spin class on Saturday (and paid for it yesterday).

This week I found the pool this morning for 1750 and then rode a little bit.  TdF challenge starts Saturday and I'm shooting for 500 miles total with about 9-10 of those rides racing, so it should be a nice way to grind myself into dust before I start tapering for my August (previously June) Oly.

@Gretchen:  that painting sounds awful (one rung on the ladder!!) and I'm sure that took a lot out of you

@Andrew:  ugh, man, get better already!!  At least you built up a nice base recently to pull you through when you're better

@Nathalie:  way to show those kids what's what!!  and not getting hurt is a bonus at our age LOL

@Nicole:  your Tahoe adventure sounds awesome and I"m sure you'll kill it

Happy Monday everyone.

2023-06-26 3:09 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear you are having work worries Mike. 500 miles is a lot of miles, even virtual ones, how long do you have to complete the tour?
2023-06-26 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sorry to hear you are having work worries Mike. 500 miles is a lot of miles, even virtual ones, how long do you have to complete the tour?

21 stages in 23 days - I ride the same days the Tour rides.  Zwift is also doing a TdF 8-stage racing thing during the Tour so I'm going to make that part of it, plus I'll ride outdoors here, too.  I'm trying to get a ride in on every world in Zwift if I can, but with 8 stages plus a few outdoor rides I'm running out of days.

2023-06-26 4:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Sorry your work is a bit tough at the moment. Hopefully it works out. And good luck for your TdF bike focus. It's a big month of riding for you.

@Gretchen, Hope you enjoyed the rest day. Anly 3 more weeks in the desert? I'm sure you're really looking forward to heading home. It's a long time away you do.

@Nathalie, Nice job on improving your swim. The benefit of having an onsite coach. I shudder to think of all the holes a coach would pick in my technique

@Nicole, Nice runs. Don't stress about not running every day. Your goal is Tahoe, and although it hurts to miss workouts, digging a hole in training wont help you on race day. We have to recover sometime.

I had a rest day myself on Monday. I'm feeling pretty good fluwise, but garmin is saying I still need to rest up, training status strained, HRV/body battery super low etc. Not sure how much to listen to it, but I am using it as a reminder to make sure I get some rest.

Tuesday morning was a zwift ride.Mostly Z2 with 3 105% FTP intervals thrown in. (Anaerobic interval ride according to 80:20 training book) Despite a lengthy negotiation with myself in bed, I did get up in time to start, but the legs weren't there today. I got the higher intensity part finished, but cut the rest of the ride short after an hour.

Tomorrow is a 45-60 min run planned, but I've just found out I have to head out of town for a site measure, that'll be leaving home about 6am. Not sure if my run will happen at this stage.
2023-06-27 4:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Had a bit of a rough week mentally as my company announced they're moving most of us into offices next year, so that's been a distraction for sure.  Still got in a good running, strength and yoga week and crushed spin class on Saturday (and paid for it yesterday).

This week I found the pool this morning for 1750 and then rode a little bit.  TdF challenge starts Saturday and I'm shooting for 500 miles total with about 9-10 of those rides racing, so it should be a nice way to grind myself into dust before I start tapering for my August (previously June) Oly.

@Gretchen:  that painting sounds awful (one rung on the ladder!!) and I'm sure that took a lot out of you

@Andrew:  ugh, man, get better already!!  At least you built up a nice base recently to pull you through when you're better

@Nathalie:  way to show those kids what's what!!  and not getting hurt is a bonus at our age LOL

@Nicole:  your Tahoe adventure sounds awesome and I"m sure you'll kill it

Happy Monday everyone.

The requirement to start working back at the office is what caused my wife to decide to quit her job in 2021. (worked out for us...she got a better job with a nice company and now makes more than double what she was making and uses her extensive skill set...). Good luck.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland