BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Jo - Good luck with 2xu! That is very cool

Stacey - I'm off to read you report!

Kate - that Cheshire Cat rocks!

Jen - Good luck on that interview. I'm sure you'll rock it!

Chris - Right back atcha! Have a great week!

TJ - meh - it's one donut. Run an extra mile today and I'd say you're even

Monday is on - well, I guess for the East coast USA it's half over now. GIT BACK TO WORK!

2013-10-07 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by rrrunner

Back to Monday and the insanity/uncertainty. Had a few diversions this weekend to get me out of my head.

One of them was Balloon Fiesta with the fam. We are on a necessities only budget right now but we decided to make an exception because DS2 hasn't been to Balloon Fiesta and we didn't know when he'd be here for it again. So we got up at o' dark thirty. It was fun. Although I did regret the KK Donut when it was food logging time.

I'm also going to include a pic from my drive in this morning. It's fuzzy but you get the idea of how many balloons take off every morning during Fiesta.

I think that was a great exception! Can't believe the idiots in the senate are continuing this mess, hope for all sakes , but especially those not getting paid, it ends soon.

Apparently some of the geniuses in DC don't realize essential employees aren't getting paid:

http://www.govexec.com/federal-news/fedblog/2013/10/yes-mr-chairman-feds-paychecks-could-get-delayed/71370/?oref=voices-module

2013-10-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Jo - Good luck with 2xu! That is very cool Stacey - I'm off to read you report! Kate - that Cheshire Cat rocks! Jen - Good luck on that interview. I'm sure you'll rock it! Chris - Right back atcha! Have a great week! TJ - meh - it's one donut. Run an extra mile today and I'd say you're even Monday is on - well, I guess for the East coast USA it's half over now. GIT BACK TO WORK!

That's the killer part. On Saturday when I did my 10 mile run I went to bed with 689 calories left in my "budget", Sunday the donut put me overdrawn 120 Yell

2013-10-07 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Jo - Good luck with 2xu! That is very cool :) Stacey - I'm off to read you report! Kate - that Cheshire Cat rocks! Jen - Good luck on that interview. I'm sure you'll rock it! Chris - Right back atcha! Have a great week! TJ - meh - it's one donut. Run an extra mile today and I'd say you're even ;) Monday is on - well, I guess for the East coast USA it's half over now. GIT BACK TO WORK!

Yeah, what MBC said;)

Lots of good stuff from the pod over the weekend.  I hope you're all having a fabulous Monday!

2013-10-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Back to Monday and the insanity/uncertainty. Had a few diversions this weekend to get me out of my head.

One of them was Balloon Fiesta with the fam. We are on a necessities only budget right now but we decided to make an exception because DS2 hasn't been to Balloon Fiesta and we didn't know when he'd be here for it again. So we got up at o' dark thirty. It was fun. Although I did regret the KK Donut when it was food logging time.

I'm also going to include a pic from my drive in this morning. It's fuzzy but you get the idea of how many balloons take off every morning during Fiesta.

I think that was a great exception! Can't believe the idiots in the senate are continuing this mess, hope for all sakes , but especially those not getting paid, it ends soon.

Apparently some of the geniuses in DC don't realize essential employees aren't getting paid:

http://www.govexec.com/federal-news/fedblog/2013/10/yes-mr-chairman-feds-paychecks-could-get-delayed/71370/?oref=voices-module

nice that they took the time to understand the effect of their actions!

2013-10-07 12:29 PM

User image

Seattle

I'M Just coming off of a peak in mileage last week. I'm going to pull back and be reeeaaaal nice to my body this week before a multi-week period of racing. Brooks is our club's sponsor and they are giving us a happy hour tonight and then tomorrow I'm actually going to their HQ to lab rat a little. 

I invested about 6 weeks into this training block and am really feeling like I am making some big gains (see training logs for details.) One of my teammates who has gone to the trials (marathon) a few times gave me some really positive feedback.

Anyway, that's what's up with me! Smile

2013-10-07 12:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Beautiful!!!!

2013-10-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'M Just coming off of a peak in mileage last week. I'm going to pull back and be reeeaaaal nice to my body this week before a multi-week period of racing. Brooks is our club's sponsor and they are giving us a happy hour tonight and then tomorrow I'm actually going to their HQ to lab rat a little. 

I invested about 6 weeks into this training block and am really feeling like I am making some big gains (see training logs for details.) One of my teammates who has gone to the trials (marathon) a few times gave me some really positive feedback.

Congrats on the training success AND the happy hourWink.  Can't wait to see how your races go these next weeks.

2013-10-07 2:37 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

anyone see SNL this week? That Cyrus parody was awesome!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/06/snl-miley-cyrus-michele-ba...
2013-10-07 2:39 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

anyone see SNL this week? That Cyrus parody was awesome! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/06/snl-miley-cyrus-michele-ba...

Um YES!! I LOVED it!!!!!!

And I have to confess, I love Miley Smile

2013-10-07 2:50 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

anyone see SNL this week? That Cyrus parody was awesome! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/06/snl-miley-cyrus-michele-ba...

OK, first of all, awesome about your training gains and feeling good going into your races.

Second of all, I like Miley too.  I love how she's punted her Disney image.  I think the VMA thing was dumb, but I kinda feel like those are historically dumb. 

I hope she's a little more in control of what's going on than it seems.  I'm glad I didn't have every move I made as a twenty something tracked for the world.  Dang.

2013-10-07 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Jo - Good luck with 2xu! That is very cool :) Stacey - I'm off to read you report! Kate - that Cheshire Cat rocks! Jen - Good luck on that interview. I'm sure you'll rock it! Chris - Right back atcha! Have a great week! TJ - meh - it's one donut. Run an extra mile today and I'd say you're even ;) Monday is on - well, I guess for the East coast USA it's half over now. GIT BACK TO WORK!

That's the killer part. On Saturday when I did my 10 mile run I went to bed with 689 calories left in my "budget", Sunday the donut put me overdrawn 120 Yell

Beautiful balloon pics :)

So, the way I read that is you are down 569 for two days--two weekend days.  Not bad :)

2013-10-07 2:55 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

OK, first of all, awesome about your training gains and feeling good going into your races.

Second of all, I like Miley too.  I love how she's punted her Disney image.  I think the VMA thing was dumb, but I kinda feel like those are historically dumb. 

I hope she's a little more in control of what's going on than it seems.  I'm glad I didn't have every move I made as a twenty something tracked for the world.  Dang.

Uh. No kidding. Shyte I am almost 30 and I am still glad I don't have people keeping that close of tabs on me. 

I forkin looooved when they brought the American Doll names "Molly" out for her, since she "was always taking about hanging out with that girl, Molly." HAHAHA I love SNL.

2013-10-07 2:55 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I was pleasantly surprised - I thought she did a great job
2013-10-07 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Jo - Good luck with 2xu! That is very cool Stacey - I'm off to read you report! Kate - that Cheshire Cat rocks! Jen - Good luck on that interview. I'm sure you'll rock it! Chris - Right back atcha! Have a great week! TJ - meh - it's one donut. Run an extra mile today and I'd say you're even Monday is on - well, I guess for the East coast USA it's half over now. GIT BACK TO WORK!

Beautiful balloon pics

So, the way I read that is you are down 569 for two days--two weekend days.  Not bad

That's what DH said. Of course he and DS2 wanted to go to ColdStone Saturday to use up the excess. Surprised

I try to let each day stand on its own so I don't get in to a habit of borrowing calories from other days. No rollover plan here Surprised

2013-10-07 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Awesome! Awesome!

2013-10-07 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Loved the parody! I like Miley with dark hair.

2013-10-07 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Dorks!

2013-10-07 3:55 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Well. Sniper poster here. I just came in to respond to a few posts, and now I'm off to a meeting.

My job is crazy right now. Hardly a moment to spare during the day. My training and posting are suffering.

But I had my hair flattened on Friday evening. (I thought of Jo -- I think you get it done routinely, don't you?)

Then I ruined part of it by running the 15k less than 12 hours later. Oh, well. It's only hair, right?

My right big toe is black. And painful. I'm going to try to see our campus nurse about it tomorrow and depending on what she advises, head to the doctor. I can see the blood blister creeping up above the toe nail. Gross.

Um . . . I think that's it -- oh, my son had a PR at his last xc meet: 7:44. He was 4th man for his team. I know he can run faster, but I am hanging back. I'm not going to be that mom.

I love everyone, and I know I'm behind not only on reading posts but on writing race reports.

Gotta run!

2013-10-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by KansasMom

Well. Sniper poster here. I just came in to respond to a few posts, and now I'm off to a meeting.

My job is crazy right now. Hardly a moment to spare during the day. My training and posting are suffering.

But I had my hair flattened on Friday evening. (I thought of Jo -- I think you get it done routinely, don't you?)

Then I ruined part of it by running the 15k less than 12 hours later. Oh, well. It's only hair, right?

My right big toe is black. And painful. I'm going to try to see our campus nurse about it tomorrow and depending on what she advises, head to the doctor. I can see the blood blister creeping up above the toe nail. Gross.

Um . . . I think that's it -- oh, my son had a PR at his last xc meet: 7:44. He was 4th man for his team. I know he can run faster, but I am hanging back. I'm not going to be that mom.

I love everyone, and I know I'm behind not only on reading posts but on writing race reports.

Gotta run!

Thanks for the drive by update. Glad you are well (except for the toe). Congrats to DS on the PR!!!!!!

2013-10-07 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Beautiful balloon pics :)

So, the way I read that is you are down 569 for two days--two weekend days.  Not bad :)

That's what DH said. Of course he and DS2 wanted to go to ColdStone Saturday to use up the excess. Surprised

I try to let each day stand on its own so I don't get in to a habit of borrowing calories from other days. No rollover plan here Surprised

I can understand that approach. 

There are some nutritionists who advocate having some flex in your days.  For example, purposefully eating "high" every fourth day or so to keep metabolism up (that's the way I understand it anyway).  I think the idea is if you're running a deficit day-in-day-out you're going to lower your BMR set-point. 

I need the shoulder shrug smilely :

This is all just to say, you're doing great and maybe that doughnut isn't as bad as you think :)

2013-10-07 4:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Beautiful balloon pics

So, the way I read that is you are down 569 for two days--two weekend days.  Not bad

There are some nutritionists who advocate having some flex in your days.  For example, purposefully eating "high" every fourth day or so to keep metabolism up (that's the way I understand it anyway).  I think the idea is if you're running a deficit day-in-day-out you're going to lower your BMR set-point. 

I need the shoulder shrug smilely  

This is all just to say, you're doing great and maybe that doughnut isn't as bad as you think

Speaking of rollover plans. I am one of those people who, unfortunately, isn't famished after a long run. I generally eat pretty normally (except maybe taking in a few hundred calories during the run, which I don't do on any shorter distances.) But the following day it totally hits me and I am STARVING. Of course that is usually a recovery day, which means I'm in a huge deficit on a long run day and then a bit of a overage on the recovery day.

I've observed it pretty closely and it doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of weight gain/loss but it is kind of strange I guess. Maybe it's not just me. 

Another thing that I've stopped trying to manage is my increased calorie intake while I am on my period. I used to fight it but I have found that it's not just cravings. I really do seem to need those calories. 

2013-10-07 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Beautiful balloon pics

This is all just to say, you're doing great and maybe that doughnut isn't as bad as you think

Speaking of rollover plans. I am one of those people who, unfortunately, isn't famished after a long run. I generally eat pretty normally (except maybe taking in a few hundred calories during the run, which I don't do on any shorter distances.) But the following day it totally hits me and I am STARVING. Of course that is usually a recovery day, which means I'm in a huge deficit on a long run day and then a bit of a overage on the recovery day.

I've observed it pretty closely and it doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of weight gain/loss but it is kind of strange I guess. Maybe it's not just me. 

Another thing that I've stopped trying to manage is my increased calorie intake while I am on my period. I used to fight it but I have found that it's not just cravings. I really do seem to need those calories. 

I've wondered about that too. I'm sitting here, stomach growling, knowing I have to wait till dinner. I'm usually a supporter of not getting that hungry so I don't over do it at dinner but my normal approach gained 7 pounds since O'side! Of course I don't think I could sustain the weight I reached for O'side.

This morning on my run I wondered if I was under funded energy-wise. just felt like my legs didn't have it. Maybe I should let it go until my HM then pick it back up. Of course then its Thanksgiving... Yell

2013-10-07 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Beautiful balloon pics

Another thing that I've stopped trying to manage is my increased calorie intake while I am on my period. I used to fight it but I have found that it's not just cravings. I really do seem to need those calories

Preach it! Those calories don't seem to count for me either.
2013-10-07 5:18 PM

User image

Elite

weighing in on the diet and weightloss issues (pun intended)

As some of you know i switched to a No sugar No grains approach - which means in essence i eat meat, fat, vegetables (so many it's crazy) some fruit (mainly berries), nuts etc.

I do not eat much in the way of processed food (no pop tarts!)  I do not any refined carbs - so no pasta, bread, rice etc.  Dairy i actually limit as i find with cheese i can eat until i'm sick it's an addiction.

Sugar - i get from fruit occasionally two squares of 80% chocolate.

Alcohol - 2 glasses of wine per week - no beer as it's a grain.

Now this is all an extreme lifestyle change for many including me but i have lost at least 20lbs.  And i am NEVER hungry.

There are other versions of this - there is a vegan way and Ben Greenfield has recently completed IM Canada on a low carb high fat lifestyle regime.

with all this fat consumption - all bloodwork is normal or better than.

A calorie is not simply just a calorie, i firmly believe my body and more importantly my brain react differently depending on the calorie source.

For example i could eat say 500 calories worth of chocolate and you can bet your shirt i will go back for another 500 calories worth at least.

Potato chips - i would not stop at 500 calories worth either i'd go til the house had none left.

If however i eat 500 calories worth of steak - i don't need more.

I think the hormones produced when eating sugar or carbs promote hunger.  At least in my body.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440