BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-08-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Wow, Steve! You make it sound so easy! It does show that all your hard work paid off.  I would have been one of the ones fixing a flat and mad because I broke a nail doing so! lol Wonder why they would run a IM over poor roads? They should have made a new category: Chute record! Sounds like you won it! So did your wife get to see some of the race? I think I'd be bummed and mad if my spouse didn't make it to the start (if he was supposed to be there). Hope so, as it sounds like you did amazingly well! Congrats! Now you need to rest, don't fix aything around the house at least for a few days!

So Dennis, you are next-it is this weekend, correct? And you are doing a HIM? Did you do one last year? Do you have any set goals? Details, we want details!

2011-08-02 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I'll play, my totals for the month (including taper).

July's totals:
Bike:38h 46m 10s  - 669.73 Mi
Run:20h 22m 34s  - 146.01 Mi
Swim:12h 52m 16s  - 33500 Yd

Ok so things I forgot on race day.  I should have put bodyglide under armpits, should have gotten my hair wet before putting on swimcap so it would come off easier, bodyglide under timing chip.  At mile 22 on the run, go to the portapotty before dumping a cup of icewater down the front of your shirt... may be more relevant for guys. 

I think I will plan on Gu for first 13 on IMs and then gator aid after that... or maybe just if stomach gets iffy again.  It worked well going from GU to gatoraid as the stomach got a little off though.  Brain doesn't always work well on those kind of decisions 10 hours into the race.

Everyone's training is going great guys, look back at your first month's numbers.  And everyone gets to beat me on numbers this month 8). 

2011-08-02 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Karen, I think Dennis's race is mid way between an OLY and a HIM distance and is this weekend, but I agree....he does need to fill us in on the goals and details.  So what's next for you?  Have you signed up for an OLY yet?

Steve, how is your recovery?  I'm really curious as to how do you feel after an effort like that?  What is next for you?  What do you do in the off season?

Guessing Samantha is in full swing of leading the backpacking expedition.  Hope it is COOLER where she is!

Question:  I'm finding that as I ramp up a bit on everything I am not getting in the (very minimal) core work and lifting that I was doing.  Yet from the look and feel of things, my body doesn't seem to be missing it.  Would you recommend trying to stay with a little strength/core work all the way through, or let it die a natural death?

2011-08-02 6:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I can only fit in core and some lifting during the offseason.  During triathlon building I just don't have the time or the muscles that are not toasted to work on.  If I run 45 miles, swim 5 miles  and bike 200 miles in a week and then go to do leg lefts... my legs rebel big time.  You can keep what you feel is important, but I just don't have the hours. 

Lets see, I played frisbee golf for 3 hours yesterday, went for a half mile walk in my bare feet with the dog today and did a 10 mile bike ride with my wife and then another 10 after I dropped her off at the house.  I have some sore muscles, mostly just stiff if you sit too long, especially neck and thighs from those downhills.  The feet have some small sensitive muscles, but nothing big.  I won't run on them for a while yet.  So like all z1, no watch, no distance expectations, just what you feel like doing.  If I want to walk on the beech thats cool, if I want to bike somewhere thats fine.  Just nothing intense.  Well, I did blow by my wife on my fancy road bike tho show off and my HR flew up to let me know that... don't do that after about a mile, but that is to be expected.  So basically my vollume was high enough to not kill me, but the race was long enough that intensity will be out of the picture for 3 to 4 weeks, but probably more like 6 as I will have to build back up to it. 

Note that if you come into an IM with half the training I put into this one, you will be able to complete it, but the recovery will be twice as long as well. 

2011-08-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3625190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
trigator01 - 2011-08-02 9:04 AM

So Dennis, you are next-it is this weekend, correct? And you are doing a HIM? Did you do one last year? Do you have any set goals? Details, we want details!

Carol's correct, my race is between an Oly and a HIM, 1/38/9.  My estimated finishing time is 4 hours 38 minutes.  Anything slower than that iwll be a disappointment.  That consists of a 45 minute swim, 3 min. T1, 2:15 bike, 2:00 T2, 1:33 run.

What I would like to do is a 40 minute swim, 3 min. T1, 2:10 bik, 2:00 T2, 1:22 run for a total of 4:17.  We'll just have to see.  Both times require a 17+ MPH bike which I've only done twice, the latest being a month ago at a July 4th ride, 47 miles @17.2.  Before that, MiM Oly 2 months ago was 25 miles @ 17.07.  So not only have I done it, it has been in big events which is what gives me the hope I can doi it again this weekend. 

I am worried about the 4 Cat5 hill climbs on the bike I have to face.

2011-08-03 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ

Steve - WOW! Congratulations!  I'm amazed and you've made me a true believer in having a good plan for training.  

Dennis - Good luck on the race!  You've been training so hard and it's been really amazing to see the constant progress and how you've been reaching new goals and milestones.  Thanks for keeping us posted. 

I've been kind of AWOL - but hubby has been dragging me on bike rides and swimming and long walk/jog's  so I haven't really been paying attention to distance or time and actually just enjoying it knowing that I don't really have a race for a while - and since I've been kind of plugging into his training schedule - I haven't been even thinking about it - I just say - "what are we doing this morning?" and he'll say 6 mile bike to friends house to do laps then home and I just throw everything in a backpack and go. 

2011-08-03 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, how did I know you would have a very specific plan? .  Sounds like good realistic goals and we are rooting for you to hit them!

Ceril, I like the "no plan" plan.  How nice that your hubby is getting into this!

Steve, glad you are also enjoying some relaxed time.  Well deserved, and I'm sure you mind and body need the rest.  Glad you are not too sore/exhausted...guess you got a good tolerance for that built up during training.

Cut my bike ride this morning short, but still on track w/ my training plan (overachieving a little on bike and run right now anyway).  I realized that I was right by the body shop where my husband's car was ready to be picked up.  So rather than ride the rest of the way home in a construction zone, decided to swing by and pick it up.  Thankfully Camry trunks are BIG with the seats folded down, so my bike fits nicely back there without even taking the front wheel off.  Thinking Lisa would be proud of that multitasking moment

2011-08-03 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I found a 50 yard pool in the big city where I am visiting my wife's folks and they are going to let me just do drop in masters swims.  So I did my first ever masters swim lastnight.  It was only 2500 yards so I wasn't beat at the end (short swim), but I didn't have any umphta to do faster sets.  All the 50s were around 1:04 giver or take 2 seconds.  I found it interesting that I am as fast with the pull bouy as without it.  I guess my kick does not add anything... at all. 

So my reach isn't far enough out front and I need to breethe later on my recovery.  So I breath on the right side and was breathing as my left arm went into the water, now I am supposed to breathe as my right arm comes out of the water and moves forward.  That is a bit awkward.  I will have to do some specific stretching to help my shoulder not get fried by the longer stretching.  Oh well I will probalby go back tonight and see how the shoulder hold up, recover them next week. 

Bike pacing during a race is sometimes hard, going farther often means slower and hills/wind can play into it, but no stoplights, stopsigns helps, congestion on the course can help or hurt.  I did a HIM at a 19 mph pace.  I went faster because from the very start to nearly the end I was too close to some bike so I had to constantly be passing someone because I was the last swim wave with 2500 people or so. 

I spoke with a guy who coaches triathletes and he said to get my bike faster I will have to be doing a 30 minute ride at 24 mph on the flat once per month.  As my legs get better this should be a ... fun activity. 

2011-08-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3627387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Baowolf - 2011-08-03 12:33 PM

Bike pacing during a race is sometimes hard, going farther often means slower and hills/wind can play into it, but no stoplights, stopsigns helps, congestion on the course can help or hurt.

Yeah sounds nice, unfortunately I get this email the other night from the race directory

[email protected] Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

åPlease remember that the park and surrounding roads are OPEN TO NORMAL TRAFFIC and park visitors / drivers may not be used to race disruptions.

Now my question is this. USAT rule 5.4 states that I must obey all traffic laws unless there is a traffic director.  I'm assuming more than likely there will be no lanes blocked off or traffic directors at the intersections after reading the above email.  If that is the case, I guess might lose some time stopping at red lights when I come up on them. 

USA Triathlon Handbook

5.4 Traffic Laws. All participants must obey all traffic laws while on the cycling course unless otherwise specifically directed by a USA Triathlon official, race monitor or designee with actual authority. Unless otherwise directed in accordance with the preceding sentence, all participants shall come to a complete stop when required by a traffic sign or traffic control device and shall not proceed through any intersection unless such intersection is clear of oncoming traffic. In no case shall a cyclist cross a solid yellow line indicating a no passing zone. Any violation of this Section shall result in disqualification or a variable time penalty as determined in the sole discretion of the Head Referee.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-08-03 1:28 PM
2011-08-03 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, the last two tri's I've done were at a state park and we rode mostly on the the surrounding public roads that were open to traffic.  There was traffic on the roads, and I think most of us stayed on the shoulder most of the time.  Not a lot of stoplights/signs, but they did have police at those intersections to let us go through, and I didn't see anyone stopping anywhere unless they had crashed or had a flat.  Betting it will be the same for you unless it's a super small race.

2011-08-03 10:31 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Every triathlon I have been in had intersections police controlled.  So I haven't ever unclipped during an triathlon unless to use a porta potty.  My inroman was open to traffic, but all intersections were a no stop for bikes.  They should go over this before the race. 

Long day today, took my 6 year old for a  .75 mile ride in the shiny pedal fire engine and then did a 2.5 mile jog.. (probably not ready to jog yet) then a 20 mile bike ride, 3 hours at the beach with the family and then masters swim class.  Phew glad I am on complete recovery... hrm.  Kickboard kick practice sucks, I got passed by a leaf I think and a glacier was gaining on me.  I actually swim faster with a pull bouy than without.. whatsup with that.  Oh well fun fun.  Reaching farther, we see how this helps. 

2011-08-04 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Steve- You give a new definition to recovering! Sounds like you are mixing it up and having fun.  Good for you.

Ceril-You most definitely are mixing it up! I say go with the no plan-plan for now as the hubby gets use to training with you.  Keep him happy and interested.

Carol-Did you get any reprieve from the heat with the Tropical Storm last week?  We have Hurricane Emily that will skirt the coast, I am hoping for a deluge!  I am so tired of the heat.  Only got in 2.5 of my scheduled 4 mile run yesterday.  Felt really badly.  Guess I need to try the ice in the bra trick! Also, I say for you, maybe do some ab/core work but nothing extra. Last night I was reading Joel Friel's Triathlete's Bible and he said corss training is OK, but won't help improve in the three sports.  To improve in the three sports you must poractice the three sports. I was doing a lot of "extra" stuff this summer, but with school looming I am now thinking I will not have the time to do everything.

That brings me to my question, I have bumped up my marathon training, and am not putting as much emphasis on the other sports.  I want to swim at least once a week and ride once a week.  Steve I think a few pages back you told Troy to do something like that.  I am just worried about over using my legs. Remember, this is my first mary and am in my first season of doing tri's.  So my question is when I do bike, should it be a long distance (30+ miles-for me that is still long) at a slower pace 16-18mph or should I go shorter distances at a higher speed?

Carol-I don't think I can train for an OLY now, with school starting and my extra time is spent running-sorta.  I do want to maintian as I have a friend who returns from Switzerland soon and wants to do her first sprint with me. Olys for me next year.  I am still to afraid of the longer swim.  With four sprints under my belt, I never did get into the groove of the swim in race conditions. But I'll cheer you on!

Dennis-Love the distance of the race! What a great "in between" before an HIM. I'll have to look for those the year I hope to do an HIM.  Good luck on your race!

2011-08-04 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Most marathon plans have a cross or short run day.  So if Monday is a short 4 mile recovery run (lower intensity) and it will take you roughly 40 minutes to do that run (with a little walk stretch run etc.) then you would drop that run and do a 40 min ish (an hour is fine) bike ride at lower intensity.  So more like 15 to 20 miles instead of 30.  If you feel that is not enough you can bump it up to 30, but you would be better off doing 15 to 20 on Monday and Friday then 30 once.  Typically Thursday or Friday are a recovery day where you chould throw in another cross day maybe swim 30 min bike 1 hour instead of a 4 mile run.  So that would leave you T W TH Sat Su for runs with typically a long on Sat or Sunday and a mid range run (8-10) on Wed.  You can mix it up a bit to match your scehdule.  So 1 bike or 2 shorter and 1 swim probably shorter and 5 days of running.  Alternatively you could do a 15 min bike am and a 4 mile run pm.  I think I was biking 100 miles a week and swimming 3000 yards a week during marathon training... but that was a bit taxing while running 55 miles a week.  You can completely give up the bike and swim and just go run focus... it is up to you.  I have to keep a little bike and swim in there just to not have to start completely from scratch.

Keeping the husband interested is never bad advise 8).  I'll have to tell my wife about that one....

2011-08-04 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hmmm....so Ceril is on the no-plan plan, and Steve is on the no-recovery recovery !

Steve, I'm going to school on your swim lessons.  Will have to figure out when I'm breathing in my stroke.  Did you learn to swim using TI?  My only swim "lessons" were a couple free online TI videos, so I don't have much of a kick either.  Glad you are enjoying some relaxed family time!

Karen, no reprieve here .  We appear to be on track for shattering the 1980 record for consecutive 100 degree days, and the lows at night are mid 80's.  The tropical storm went south of us, so not a drop of rain or decrease in temps.  Hope you get some in FLA.  I'm with you on stopping if I get nauseous, better safe than sorry on heat exhaustion. Thanks for the input on the ab/core work.  Thinking about adding back a bit of that + stretch/foam roller whilst watching TV with hubby in the evenings.  I mainly want to prevent injuries.  So do you like the Friel book?  Worth picking it up?  I forgot the marathon was your next goal.  Which one are you targeting?  Sounds very wise to focus on that and put the tri stuff in the background for a bit.

Flirting with the idea of doing an OLY earlier than planned.  Already doing one on 10/2 that is local, and there is one on 9/5 in Austin (just a few hours away).  Thinking it would be nice to do 2 OLY's this yr. so I'll have a better idea what I want to target next yr.  Thoughts?  Too soon? 

Good luck to Dennis this weekend!          

2011-08-04 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I did a weekend TI class back when I could not do any freestyle.  So it got me to be able to cover the distance, but slowly.  One of these summers I will probably have to find a coach somewhere.  But until I can improve my bike split by 1 hour swim doesn't matter too too much.  It will probably be the last to be focused on.

Carol your training is fine, you could do an Oly tomorrow if you wanted to.  Just fine tune what you want to before the first Oly.  Stretch the bike a tiny bit and you should be golden.  Run and swim are solid, bike is fine, but you can never have too much bike. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-08-04 6:47 PM
2011-08-04 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Headed out bright and early tomorrow morning.  Everything is packed and ready to go.  I turned tomorrow into a business trip in my Nashville office which is just 30 minutes from my tri.  Nothing like turning tri travel expenses into business expenses.  I probably won't post again until Saturday afternoon/night when I get home.

Thanks for all the encouragement and I don't recall if anybody else is racing, but if so, good luck.  Heck good luck to everybody on their weekend training of swimming, biking, running, sleeping, carbo-loading, relaxing, etc.

2011-08-04 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3627045

User image

Colorado

squirt - 2011-08-03 8:54 AM

I realized that I was right by the body shop where my husband's car was ready to be picked up.  So rather than ride the rest of the way home in a construction zone, decided to swing by and pick it up.  Thankfully Camry trunks are BIG with the seats folded down, so my bike fits nicely back there without even taking the front wheel off.  Thinking Lisa would be proud of that multitasking moment

I am!  Cool

Ironically, I did something similar yesterday.  Our car needed to go in to the shop, so I put the double jogger in the trunk, dropped it off and ran the girls home.  Then we ran all our errands that day with the bike and eventually biked back to pay for everything and pick up the keys.  The bike hitch wasn't on though, so we left the car there and biked home.  I'd had grand plans to run back after dinner and drive the car home, but my husband needed to run so he did that part instead.

Steve, this is cracking me up:

Kickboard kick practice sucks, I got passed by a leaf I think and a glacier was gaining on me.

Fit in 2000m in the pool this evening, and did it straight through with only occasionally pauses to adjust my goggles.  Apparently I've built up some endurance, at least.  I'm still super-slow, but such is life.

Good luck Dennis!

Edited by realrellim 2011-08-05 1:49 AM
2011-08-05 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
All my race photos are up at Vineman.com photos under bib 536.  They even have a video of me crossing the finish line... if anyone is really bored.  You can tell how far into the run I am by how many GU are left on my race belt on the run.  The finish clock is  6 min longer than my race because I was wave 3 on the swim.  I liked the race announcers, you can probably figure out why 8).
2011-08-05 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Good luck Dennis! Can't wait to hear how you rock this new distance. 

Steve, your pictures are great!  You look springy in all of them.  Either that or you paid the photo peeps off to trash the bad ones ;p.  You really did come in strong to the finish line!  LOL on the car sponsor comment from the announcers.  Thanks for the input on the OLY.  I'm chipping away at the bike piece.  40 mile bike tomorrow w/ group at a pace that will likely be a challenge for me over that distance. 

Lisa, will you be my multitasking mentor?  You are awesome at combining errands with activity.  Seems like us women think in circles (be nice guys), as in how can I make one big circle and get as much done as possible?  Most of the men in my life are of the "out and back" variety -- getting a hammer and nails takes not one but two trips to Home Depot.  Just back from taking my 92 YO FIL to run errands, which is quite a trip!

Got a Camelbak and tried it out doing yardwork this morning.  Love it! I do keep wondering when I'll run out of incidentals to buy (and money to buy them since I'm jobless at the moment).  I've also been on a run of people asking me what I've been doing to lose weight and look so fit.  Probably 6 or 7 in the last couple weeks....neighbors, friends, virtual strangers....all unsolicited.  LOL, so it's taken 8 months to get noticeable changes, but I'll take it. 

2011-08-05 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Drove the bike route today. Holy crap it's got a lot of hills. Larger than I've ever ridden. from swim exit to t1 is a very steep 300 walk (too steep to run).
2011-08-05 8:19 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You will do fine.  You haven't done all that training for nothing.  Your body will anwer the call, just don't sprint up every hill on the bike. 

2011-08-06 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hope Dennis is having a good race!  Not sure if it's Sat or Sun.

Samantha, are you back from the backcountry yet?

Group ride this morning was....ummm...interesting.  Big group, guessing 40 or so peeps, which was neat.  Options were 40 mi, 100K, 100 mi.  I obviously opted for the 40 mi, and understood that I needed to be able to maintain 16 mph for the first 20 mi, and then we would split off from there.  Okee dokey...sounds doable.  Kept up for a while, but seems the group pace was more like 17-18 mph, uhoh!  Anway, after dropping back + a wrong turn, options were to ride well over 40 to get back on track, or head back and wind up doing 30 miles. So me and one other guy decide to head back.  On the plus side, I wound up w/ my wheel in a groove between shoulder and road, and survived without going down or taking others out.  Also got a bit of coaching on my pedal stroke, which is always welcome.

2011-08-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3626474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

dhwebb - 2011-08-02 9:31 PM 

My estimated finishing time is 4 hours 38 minutes.  Anything slower than that iwll be a disappointment.  That consists of a 45 minute swim, 3 min. T1, 2:15 bike, 2:00 T2, 1:33 run.

So I was a little under 4 minutes slower than my estimate, but I'm not disappointed.  The hills were brutal.  It rained for the entire bike and run.  Can I ever race a tri without a downpour?  So here's the breakdown.

The 1 mile swim went fine.  I was the slowest out there for my wave.  I had a personal kayaker watch me the entire swim.  Every time I breathed to the left, I would see her staring at me.  Kinda disturbing.  People from the other waves also passed me.  I finished the swim in 42:14 which was faster than I estimated.

Now T1 wasn't so much fun.  I had at least a 300-500 ft walk from the shore to the transition area.  Did I mention that it was straight up.  Impossible to run, had to walk it.  After getting to my rack, everything went as normal.  With the walk it slowed my time down to 5:27.

Now the bike.  As I have mentioned it was all hills, not a flat spot to be had. It was a 2.5 lap bike course so I had to climb one hard hill 3 times.  This hill took about 7 minutes to climb @ 8MPH.  That was the fastest I could do.  Now the hill heading back to transition which I luckily only needed to climb once was so steep my speed dropped to 5 MPH for most of it.  Even with all those slow climbs, I was able to put up a decent bike time of 2:19.

T2 was normal and pretty boring.  The only issue was that everything was soaking wet from the rain.  I have at least learned my lesson from previous races and I put my shoes upside down with a towel over them.  But once your socks are soaked and it is still raining, what's the use.

If it wasn't knowing that I would get to run at the end, I would've quit midway through the bike.  I love running and that is what gets me though the other 2 sports.  15k, 9.3 miles, out and back.  Nothing but hills again.  I was able to keep a 9:52 pace and actually pass some folks.  For some reason the hills don't affect my run.  They had plenty of aid stations, 6 total but being an out and back you really had 11.  As always I ran without stopping at aid stations for the last 5k.  

So at the end I crossed the line in 4:41:52.  A little slower than I wanted, but that estimate was created before I surveyed the course.  I was actually stoked to finish in under 4:45 once I got started.

So thanks for all the support.  I had fun.  I'm tired.  Gotta work on that swim, but like Steve I feel the bike will yield better overall results.

2011-08-06 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Way to go Dennis!  Sounds like you had an awesome day conquering a new distance.  Gotta love the personal kayak....takes all the worry out of the swim.  Riding in the rain sounds scary, and honestly, I'm not even sure I'd be brave enough to race in those conditions.  Looks like you finished with a solid run as well.  Hope you are truly enjoying the accomplishment....you should be very proud of that effort! 
2011-08-06 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Great Job Dennis! Woohoo! I can see being a bit unnerved by a person following my every stroke in the swim.  Very impressive race!  Kudos for doing a tough race in the rain!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61