General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-07 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4444218

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

anfbaker - 2012-10-07 3:04 PM I've been lurking for a couple days reading all the previous pages. Nerves, nerves, nerves. First time IM. Old (51, lol). Runner, some swimming, but only triathlons since I started thinking about trying to get an IMFL bid. My HIM was 7:13 and it was a blast. I'm doing Fink, started out Competitive, but have faded with the demands and my cycling lack (only a commuter biker until August of last year) into intermediate. My knees could not take the pounding. Still, I can do the swim, probably BOP 1:30 ish. I can do the run - my two marathons were part of Goofy challenge, so used to running sore. The bike? hmmmm.... I have felt confident until lately. Unlike some of the "12 hour" estimators who say "I just want to finish" I REALLY just want to finish. I'm training in Florida, and it's been unseasonably hot and humid, also wearing on my runs and long bikes. Seeking encouragement! Ann

Take a deep breath.  It will be OK.  I am NOT a 12 hour finisher....not in my realm.  I am in south florida too.  One thing for sure is it will NEVER be as hot on race day as what you are training in, unless you are up in the pan handle.  Be prepared for cold weather. Lots of layers, wind breakers. I put a windbreaker on at SN on the run last year.  Most brilliant invention ever.  I was so cold.  I ammostly praying that the run is not a total death march for me

2012-10-07 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4444188

Veteran
Vicksburg
MJSlikas - 2012-10-07 2:13 PM
JM2 - 2012-10-06 3:12 PM
MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-10-06 12:40 PM

How is everyone approaching the training now that we are getting close? I am always afraid of injury.  I have one more big week planned.  But I am wondering if its worth it.  Maybe do 16 hrs instead of 22 hrs?

Interested as well to see what others are doing.  The plan that I have been using as a template has the last long ride/runs at 2 weeks out, isn't that a little close?  Aren't most peoples last big weekends 3 weeks out?

I've done IMs with 3 week tapers and with 2 week tapers.  I think it is a personal thing.  I usually do 2 weeks now, but I've also had a lot of trial and error.  I typically taper a first-time Ironman athlete for 3 weeks - experienced IMers, 2 weeks.  But that also depends on age/injury/time available, etc.  One of the things that standard plans don't account for is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.  Try not to do what "everyone else is doing" and do what works for YOU.  Let's face it, it's just you out there on race day.  Listen to your body - if you're tired and think you need more of a taper, by all means, take it.  You are better off going into an Ironman undertrained vs. overtrained.

I'll be out there cheering all the IMFL athletes on - giving you inspiration when you need it most! 

MJ

Great advice, if you aren't recovering well you may want to taper a little longer.  Last year was my first IM and my body just hurt and I never felt like I was recovering at all during the PEAK phase.  This year has been a different experience.  I am not feeling 100% for workouts but for the most part I am having good quality workouts and am not hurting nearly as bad. 

2012-10-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3589984

Veteran
Vicksburg

Halloween and the kids.  Alright it is official now.  My family is coming down so we will be trick or treating Wed. night somewhere.  I know there was some discussion about a BT group but I lost it in all the pages.  Has anyone made any set plans?

2012-10-07 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico

anfbaker - 2012-10-07 3:04 PM I've been lurking for a couple days reading all the previous pages. Nerves, nerves, nerves. First time IM. Old (51, lol). Runner, some swimming, but only triathlons since I started thinking about trying to get an IMFL bid. My HIM was 7:13 and it was a blast. I'm doing Fink, started out Competitive, but have faded with the demands and my cycling lack (only a commuter biker until August of last year) into intermediate. My knees could not take the pounding. Still, I can do the swim, probably BOP 1:30 ish. I can do the run - my two marathons were part of Goofy challenge, so used to running sore. The bike? hmmmm.... I have felt confident until lately. Unlike some of the "12 hour" estimators who say "I just want to finish" I REALLY just want to finish. I'm training in Florida, and it's been unseasonably hot and humid, also wearing on my runs and long bikes. Seeking encouragement! Ann

"They say" that you can estimate your IM time, by 2 times your HIM + 1/2 hour.  That would put you finishing at 15 hours more or less.  That's pretty respectable!   And it's TWO hours before the final cut off.  I'd say if you're following Fink in the intermediate - or even the beginner, and sticking with it, you should be good for a finish before cut off.  Trust your plan!

one tip.  Go easy on the bike and save yourself for your strength, the run.

2012-10-07 11:18 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

For those of you who have done this race or live/have lived in FL, can you tell me what the hills are like on the bike?  I lived in S. FL for ten years and while I can't remember hills, I am familiar with the bridges that go over the intercoastal waterway. Is that what the hills are like?  To be honest, coming from Colorado, the hills are the least of my worries (waves...read sea sickness and my horrible run and GI issues..that is where the worry lies) but it would help to have an idea of what the hills are like. Also, I keep reading about the rough (road) part of the bike ride. Just how bad is it?

Thanks!

2012-10-08 5:43 AM
in reply to: #4444580

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Kath2163 - 2012-10-07 11:18 PM

For those of you who have done this race or live/have lived in FL, can you tell me what the hills are like on the bike?  I lived in S. FL for ten years and while I can't remember hills, I am familiar with the bridges that go over the intercoastal waterway. Is that what the hills are like?  To be honest, coming from Colorado, the hills are the least of my worries (waves...read sea sickness and my horrible run and GI issues..that is where the worry lies) but it would help to have an idea of what the hills are like. Also, I keep reading about the rough (road) part of the bike ride. Just how bad is it?

Thanks!

bad part of the road is not bad, its on the out and back portion where SN is..its annoying and short lived.  IF you are training in CO don't worry about the rollers on the IMFL course.  THe bridge is the biggest hill and while also annoyingyouhave to go BACK over it at mile 100 that also means you only have 12 miles til you are DONE!!  I train in the flat lands and from my perspective they are not anything to worry about.  Esp for someone coming from COLORADO!!

2012-10-08 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Oh boy...the last thing I was worried about in this race was the hills on the bike. I thought it was "pancake" flat. One more thing to add to my already long list of things to freak out about.

Does anyone know if there is an actual changing tent? I'm thinking if wearing my bathing suit bottoms on the swim and changing into my favorite bike/running shorts.

Thanks....26 days and counting!
Theresa
2012-10-08 7:31 AM

User image

eeek! I'm getting nervous reading the posts from the past few days! I survived my biggest brick this past wknd, 90/16 and felt really good. It was a good confidence booster going into a cut back week and then taper.

I don't do well in cold temps, my body doesn't cooperate and I feel like my body starts to shut down. I have terrible raynauds, too. I bought thermal shoe booties and was wondering if they would be the right thing to wear. My toes go numb when I'm on the bike and it's in the upper 60s so cooler temps have me worried. I know they might take time to put on/take off, but I'm not planning on winning this...

bib #655!!

2012-10-08 8:06 AM

New user

I was worried about the "hills" too, as I have been training mostly in the flat on a bike trail. I am in Clearwater, so hope the switch to cooler weather will be a plus for me. I love running in cooler temps, and my HIM was Steelhead which was pretty cool this year - high 50's at start. I didn't wear anything extra on the bike and was fine.

I know I'm over-thinking now. I'm definitely meeting all the intermediate workouts of Fink, sometimes a little more. Since I'm slower than I think he expects for the time workouts, I do look at my miles. I will run 20 Wednesday no matter how long it takes!

2012-10-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4444701

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

seitz1124 - 2012-10-08 7:24 AM Oh boy...the last thing I was worried about in this race was the hills on the bike. I thought it was "pancake" flat. One more thing to add to my already long list of things to freak out about. Does anyone know if there is an actual changing tent? I'm thinking if wearing my bathing suit bottoms on the swim and changing into my favorite bike/running shorts. Thanks....26 days and counting! Theresa

they actually bring you INSIDE into the hotel.  Well lit and warm.  There are mens and womens changing areas.  Its chaotic but well lit and much better than a tent on a parking lot.  It is not pancake flat like where I live but the hills are just smaller rollers compared to somewhere like say colorado where they have mountains.  Lets just say I have no hills to train on and the bike course is not a problem for me so take a deep breath and don't worry

2012-10-08 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4444710

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
DCT76 - 2012-10-08 7:31 AM

eeek! I'm getting nervous reading the posts from the past few days! I survived my biggest brick this past wknd, 90/16 and felt really good. It was a good confidence booster going into a cut back week and then taper.

I don't do well in cold temps, my body doesn't cooperate and I feel like my body starts to shut down. I have terrible raynauds, too. I bought thermal shoe booties and was wondering if they would be the right thing to wear. My toes go numb when I'm on the bike and it's in the upper 60s so cooler temps have me worried. I know they might take time to put on/take off, but I'm not planning on winning this...

bib #655!!

Yes to the toe warmers if that is a problem for you.  Wear gloves too.  Lots of layers.  You can always take a layer off and throw it aside at an aide station.

2012-10-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4444738

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Socks - 2012-10-08 9:07 AM

seitz1124 - 2012-10-08 7:24 AM Oh boy...the last thing I was worried about in this race was the hills on the bike. I thought it was "pancake" flat. One more thing to add to my already long list of things to freak out about. Does anyone know if there is an actual changing tent? I'm thinking if wearing my bathing suit bottoms on the swim and changing into my favorite bike/running shorts. Thanks....26 days and counting! Theresa

they actually bring you INSIDE into the hotel.  Well lit and warm.  There are mens and womens changing areas.  Its chaotic but well lit and much better than a tent on a parking lot.  It is not pancake flat like where I live but the hills are just smaller rollers compared to somewhere like say colorado where they have mountains.  Lets just say I have no hills to train on and the bike course is not a problem for me so take a deep breath and don't worry

Thanks so much, Socks! I just did Augusta and felt good on the bike. My legs felt a little like lead and I was concerned until I remembered that I did a 100 mile bike ride the weekend before. I'm thinking I'll be okay for Florida. It's just putting it all together that makes me nervous.

BTW...I believe we have mutual friends....Missey and Steve. They are great!
Theresa
2012-10-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4444710

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
I bought thermal shoe booties and was wondering if they would be the right thing to wear. My toes go numb when I'm on the bike and it's in the upper 60s so cooler temps have me worried. I know they might take time to put on/take off, but I'm not planning on winning this...

I think the combination of wool socks (maybe another pair under those as well) with toe covers is a better option than the full booties.  You can do things for your feet to help keep them warm (double up on socks, wear plastic shopping bags over your feet (under your shoe to block the wind) for the first few miles then rip them off, tape the vents etc).  Toe covers can be put on before the race and are much easier to take off if you need to.  In 2010 I don't think it ever got out of the 50's on the bike and I was fine with wool socks and toe covers. 

2012-10-08 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

As far as the hills, most of them require maybe a one or two cog shift on the bike and they aren't long at all.  Definitely not anything to worry about.  Use them as an opportunity to stretch and get out of your aero bars.

2012-10-08 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
1 more week of long workouts for me. Saturday was run 18 and then swim 2000. Tonight is bike for a few hours and then swim. It is getting so close, it is hard to focus on anything else. I'm only slightly worried that I haven't been focusing enough on the bike. Running is my weakest by far so I focus more on that, especially with my long workouts. I generally have time for 1 long workout on the weekend and then get a few hours the rest of the week. I have completed a few 80-milers but haven't eclipsed the 100 mark. I think I should be fine
2012-10-08 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4445088

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
LSUfan4444 - 2012-10-08 12:22 PM
I bought thermal shoe booties and was wondering if they would be the right thing to wear. My toes go numb when I'm on the bike and it's in the upper 60s so cooler temps have me worried. I know they might take time to put on/take off, but I'm not planning on winning this...

I think the combination of wool socks (maybe another pair under those as well) with toe covers is a better option than the full booties.  You can do things for your feet to help keep them warm (double up on socks, wear plastic shopping bags over your feet (under your shoe to block the wind) for the first few miles then rip them off, tape the vents etc).  Toe covers can be put on before the race and are much easier to take off if you need to.  In 2010 I don't think it ever got out of the 50's on the bike and I was fine with wool socks and toe covers. 

For Toe Covers think about Duct Tape.  Blocks the wind easy to discard if you get to warm.  Used tape for years and I found that it is easier to adjust tape for warmth than toe covers

2012-10-08 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4444816

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
seitz1124 - 2012-10-08 8:49 AM
Socks - 2012-10-08 9:07 AM

Thanks so much, Socks! I just did Augusta and felt good on the bike. My legs felt a little like lead and I was concerned until I remembered that I did a 100 mile bike ride the weekend before. I'm thinking I'll be okay for Florida. It's just putting it all together that makes me nervous. BTW...I believe we have mutual friends....Missey and Steve. They are great! Theresa

Steve and Missy are the BEST!!!

2012-10-08 2:24 PM

User image

Expert

Last year was cold in my book and my feet were fine.  I wear bike shoes and not tri shoes if that makes a difference.  Now I had on long pants, a wind breaker and extra gloves but my feet were fine.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-10-08 2:30 PM

User image

Expert

Ann, sounds just like me last year.  Prior to IMFL last year my only marathons were part of Goofy, I could swim OK, my bike was lacking compared to others and I was 54.  I did fine and you'll do fine.  The best advice I can give is take your time, especially on the bike.  Save it for the run!

Duane 

2012-10-08 2:43 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
I am volunteering this year so I can hopefully get a spot for 2013 (it will be my first full).  I noticed that athletes have the option of signing up again for the next years event prior to registration opening.  Since it will be my first, it made me think.....would I sign up for 2014 or choose another venue for my second.  Wondering your thoughts on this and how many are IMFL repeaters and why.  Thanks
2012-10-08 4:45 PM

Okay, am I the only one feeling this way?  I am TIRED of training!!!   I have 2 long weeks left before taper.   Having to keep myself motivated to get out there and do my workouts.  I want to sleep in!  Ugh...just want to go get it done at this point!

2012-10-08 5:18 PM

Right now there is no way i would committ to another year of this training.....time to get this done and reclaim my life!
2012-10-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4445647

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Tri Fit - 2012-10-08 4:45 PM Okay, am I the only one feeling this way?  I am TIRED of training!!!   I have 2 long weeks left before taper.   Having to keep myself motivated to get out there and do my workouts.  I want to sleep in!  Ugh...just want to go get it done at this point!

Sounds like you need a day off, or two.  Too close to the race to flirt with overuse injury.

There's actually a name for it: UPRD.  Unplanned Rest Day.

I look on the calendar and stark terror has taken over as my motivator.

Edited by jashac 2012-10-08 5:33 PM
2012-10-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4445451

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

NeverEnough - 2012-10-08 2:43 PM I am volunteering this year so I can hopefully get a spot for 2013 (it will be my first full).  I noticed that athletes have the option of signing up again for the next years event prior to registration opening.  Since it will be my first, it made me think.....would I sign up for 2014 or choose another venue for my second.  Wondering your thoughts on this and how many are IMFL repeaters and why.  Thanks

This will be my 4th IMFL and 11th IM - IM Florida until I quit or hit 83 years old (whichever comes first) - The reason IMFL is a repeat is because I can drive my RV there, this is by far the cheapest I can get away at an IM. The only other repeats I will have is I am doing IM Cozumel again this year for the sole reason of hitting IM 12 to get in on the IM Legacy lottery for 2013. All my others are one and done. 

Besides all that IMFL is a good race, well organized, excellent volunteers, single loop bike, awesome and fun crowd for the run.

Ironman New Zealand '07
Ironman Louisville '08
Ironman Brazil '09
Ironman Florida '09
Ironman South Africa '10
Ironman Florida '10
Ironman Texas '11
Ironman Florida '11
Ironman Cozumel '11
Ironman New York '12
2012-10-08 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well....felt great after my 18 mile run yesterday(best pace every for me on a long run at an easy pace). However, as the day progessed my outer lower leg (halfway between ankle in knee) started to feel sore.  Its sore today as well.  I tried researching it and it looks like the peroneal longus/brevis tendon/muscle...not sure.  I feel it most when I plant my foot and roll my foot forward and just as my toe is about to leave I feel it.  Any ideas? I tried running 25 yards and it doesn't bother me....only walking.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64