BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-01-13 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4575089

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
brigby1 - 2013-01-12 7:59 AM

tri808 - 2013-01-12 9:15 AM Was able to get in about 2k in the pool last night until my left shoulder (rotator cuff) started to bother me.  Same shoulder I hurt about 3 years ago in a crash.  Seems to always happen when I try to swim over 10k a week.  Nothing major as I stopped right away and did more kicking and even some breast stroke.  I guess for me I have to watch how I ramp up my swimming.

Does it matter how you get to 10k? As in frequency of swims or intensity level?

Not really sure.  I've been fine where I do 3x a week at 2500-3000 each.  But it has seemed to flare up when I go 4-5x at 3000 each.  Intensity is usually about the same...which usually isn't super hard.

Recently my masters coach has been telling me to work on my left arm with more of a high elbow recovery as I tend to sweep my arm across from the outside and then cross over.  Not sure if that change in my stroke has anything to do with it.  Maybe my shoulder isn't quite accustomed to the new movement yet...but my coach says it looks a lot better now and I do feel a lot more balanced.

We'll just have to see how it goes.  My plan for this coming week is to limit my freestyle to 1000 yards per session, work on more kicking with fins, breast stroke and some other forms of swimming like maybe underwater sets.

2013-01-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4575988

User image

Payson, AZ
TriAya - 2013-01-13 9:36 AM
bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 10:20 AM

How many days of misery before you finally admit your sick?  I wasn't willing to give in until the ears got involved.  I'm calling sick now.

Well, for me, well into the hundreds but you know how thick-headed I am Poor pookie! Hope you feel better soon.

Whoa whoa whoa ... what's that about doing a long run today then?

um...  It's mostly a head cold.  I'll still workout if it's all above my head. 

2013-01-13 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4576026

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
tri808 - 2013-01-12 12:15 PM
brigby1 - 2013-01-12 7:59 AM

tri808 - 2013-01-12 9:15 AM Was able to get in about 2k in the pool last night until my left shoulder (rotator cuff) started to bother me.  Same shoulder I hurt about 3 years ago in a crash.  Seems to always happen when I try to swim over 10k a week.  Nothing major as I stopped right away and did more kicking and even some breast stroke.  I guess for me I have to watch how I ramp up my swimming.

Does it matter how you get to 10k? As in frequency of swims or intensity level?

Not really sure.  I've been fine where I do 3x a week at 2500-3000 each.  But it has seemed to flare up when I go 4-5x at 3000 each.  Intensity is usually about the same...which usually isn't super hard.

Recently my masters coach has been telling me to work on my left arm with more of a high elbow recovery as I tend to sweep my arm across from the outside and then cross over.  Not sure if that change in my stroke has anything to do with it.  Maybe my shoulder isn't quite accustomed to the new movement yet...but my coach says it looks a lot better now and I do feel a lot more balanced.

We'll just have to see how it goes.  My plan for this coming week is to limit my freestyle to 1000 yards per session, work on more kicking with fins, breast stroke and some other forms of swimming like maybe underwater sets.

Based on my (limited) experience, every time I make a modification to my stroke, there is some sort of rebound in my shoulders, neck or upper back. Takes a while to settle in, and then everything is happy again. I like the idea of slowing down the volume a touch and see if it gets better.

Salty - that is wickedly cool (sitting next to fasties like that). I always hope something rubs off on me by osmosis.

Kim - sorry to hear about the cold. Take it a tiny bit easy...

Got my first long(ish) run in today for this training cycle. Felt much better than I think I deserved to.

2013-01-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
My family ran a 5k today at a local running store....so proud of my boys. My oldest ran around 23 mins for the 5k and my youngest ran 2 miles without stopping! My hubby jogged along with the 10 year old because he had just got back from a 2 day mountain biking trip with his friend. I was able to run my fastest 5k in a while, the course was a bit long so I had it set for 5k on my Garmin and I took almost a minute off my time from October (but way slower than I used to run). I'd love to get back down to the low 20 min range eventually but I'm not getting any younger, LOL.  
2013-01-13 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4575352

User image

Danielson Ct
bzgl40 - 2013-01-12 5:22 PM

heykev - 2013-01-12 3:11 PM I looked at the galloway but since I decided to do this last minute, I'm just coaching myself on this. Just kind of stuck on how to finish it witout to much down time or over doing it at the end. When I looked at there homepage, there countdown clock said it was 93 days till race day. Think I've done ok so far.

How does one decide to do a marathon last minute?    You must have had a good base already I assume.  Your race is 3 months away and your doing 23 milers already?

Very simple. I told my daughter I would go with her so it's up to me to get my butt into shape. I did a half earlier this year and several 5ks. I really don't have anyone to help me with a marathon so I decided to learn on my own. I knew I could go 13 so that was my starting point.  My daughter will give some advice but, she is in a running club plus half my age. What works for someone in their 20's may not work for someone in their 50's. I got myself this far but, just not sure how to finish the last couple of weeks.  The other advice given was a help. My wife still isn't to sure about this.  Her thought is I should do one close to home instead of spending all the money on a long shot. She even offered to drop me off 26 miles from home and let me run home.  I think I have my log set so you can see my name if you wanted to track me that day.  Or wait till the paper comes out on Monday and read the headline "Old man marathoner washed up on the beach". The race is 26.2 run with Donna.
2013-01-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4575345

User image

Danielson Ct
Asalzwed - 2013-01-12 5:16 PM
heykev - 2013-01-11 7:11 PM
TankBoy - 2013-01-11 8:00 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-01-10 8:06 PM

In the context of marathon training, what are you guys thoughts on a long warm-up before a hard track workout (I'm talking 3-4 miles, the workout being similar in distance.)

Do you think it takes away from the purpose of workout itself or do you think it's alright because it's marathon training and because training on more "fatigued" legs is quite relevant?

Adrienne - what is your goal for the long warmup? Is it just to get more time on your feet or to run on "fatigued" legs? If either were the case I would probably just do it on the backend of the speed work as part of my warm down, not before.

I don't do true speed work without at least a 30 minute warmup that would include 15 minutes of walking and dynamic stretching (if it is really cold out I will spin for 15 minutes instead of a lot of walking). Then followed by 15 minutes of jogging easing into accelerations and strides. 5 minutes more of walking and mental focus - working clearly through the workout in my mind reminding myself what to focus on in each interval. So that can all be 30~40 minutes, but wouldn't be 4 miles.

Question on tapering before a marathon. I will be doing my first one Feb 17 in Jacksonville Florida.  How do you taper down for something like this?  Last weeks run was 23 miles and the week before 19.  Not sure what tomorrow will bring, probably around 20 again. I don't want to go over 23 miles in practice. I want to keep those for race day. I have short runs on Tuesday and Thursday, swims Mondays and Wednesdays (for the most part) and the cycling everyday so lots of cross training. Along with walking a couple miles everyday at work. Any advice on this would be a great help.

I'm going to quote Pfitz for this first part, "the optimal length of a taper is from 7 days to 3 weeks. For the marathon, the general consensus is to taper for a min of 2 weeks, 3 weeks being ideal." Try to reduce mileage but keep the intensity. A rule of thumb is 25 percent reduction in volume in the first week of taper, 40 percent reduction in week two and finally 60 percent reduction in your race week. Of course this is all general information and as you gain experience you learn how your body responds. I'm assuming this is your first marathon so it would be good to do a 3 week taper and see how it goes.
Yes it is my first marathon.  Thank you for the advice.

2013-01-13 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4576409

User image

Payson, AZ
heykev - 2013-01-13 3:23 PM

heykev - 2013-01-12 3:11 PM I looked at the galloway but since I decided to do this last minute, I'm just coaching myself on this. Just kind of stuck on how to finish it witout to much down time or over doing it at the end. When I looked at there homepage, there countdown clock said it was 93 days till race day. Think I've done ok so far.

How does one decide to do a marathon last minute?    You must have had a good base already I assume.  Your race is 3 months away and your doing 23 milers already?

Very simple. I told my daughter I would go with her so it's up to me to get my butt into shape. I did a half earlier this year and several 5ks. I really don't have anyone to help me with a marathon so I decided to learn on my own. I knew I could go 13 so that was my starting point.  My daughter will give some advice but, she is in a running club plus half my age. What works for someone in their 20's may not work for someone in their 50's. I got myself this far but, just not sure how to finish the last couple of weeks.  The other advice given was a help. My wife still isn't to sure about this.  Her thought is I should do one close to home instead of spending all the money on a long shot. She even offered to drop me off 26 miles from home and let me run home.  I think I have my log set so you can see my name if you wanted to track me that day.  Or wait till the paper comes out on Monday and read the headline "Old man marathoner washed up on the beach". The race is 26.2 run with Donna.

Ha, running with your daughter sounds as good a reason as any.   Not sounding like a long shot to me.  How you feeling on your long runs?

2013-01-13 4:45 PM

User image

5,000 miles from home
Hi everyone!
I found out about a sufferfest discount code "thetour" and got 3 of them with the 19% off discount. Took a while to download and then convert so.I could play on my iPod touch, but I think it will be worth it.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend and got their workouts in. I usually find base training so boring, but it is amazing to see how this type of training can be so effective. So I'm really pleased with the outcome of my recent efforts and doing OK on the Fink Plan. Just think, only 28 weeks to go!

Just a thought for those working through injuries, in the past I have found the old wooden Nordic track ski machines are just a little better at simulating the running motion. You can get a phenomenal workout with zero impact. I found one at a tag sale for five bucks. Probably can be found on Craigslist as well. Just a thought...
2013-01-13 5:33 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Hum, I accidentally stumbled upon a century ride in July in Flagstaff.  I have no right to even be looking at it...but it might be enough to get me back on my bike.  5700ft of climbing in about 10 miles.  Might be enough to motivate me back on to that bike
2013-01-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4576425

User image

Danielson Ct
bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 5:43 PM

Ha, running with your daughter sounds as good a reason as any.   Not sounding like a long shot to me.  How you feeling on your long runs?

Actually not bad, although on the 23 miler I had to do a walk jog for about a mile and a half. But, my turn around for that run was on the other side of a 384' elevation gain. Yup and since it was the turn around coming back was 384'. Took me 4 1/2 hours. My long practice route is small hills and rolling terrain. The race is 28' overall. I'll never keep up with my daughter and not even going to try so I told her when she finishes, go get me a beer.
2013-01-14 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4576484

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 6:33 PM Hum, I accidentally stumbled upon a century ride in July in Flagstaff.  I have no right to even be looking at it...but it might be enough to get me back on my bike.  5700ft of climbing in about 10 miles.  Might be enough to motivate me back on to that bike

There's nothing like a tough race coming up to focus the training...

2013-01-14 7:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'm trying to get a better handle on when to hold onto a challenging pace and when to descend for swimming. Last night (Sunday) at Master's the main set had 2x200p, 4 x 100 desc, repeat the series 3 times. I ended up hitting the first 100 yds at 1:20 (1:30 send-off) which is blazing fast for me, only hitting that once before. So decided to just hold onto that as best I could. Ended up with all 12 of the 100's at 1:20-1:21 save for one at 1:19. I've been close once before, but it was on a 1:40 send-off  and I was well rested going in (Fri & Sat were challenging swims this time).

So the question is, what would I have gotten out of starting at say 1:23 and descending from there? There is no reason to expect I could do better than the 1:20 for the fastest one. I didn't want to lose that speed, as has happened before, getting stuck at a slower pace later in a set.

2013-01-14 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4576997

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
brigby1 - 2013-01-14 9:22 AM

I'm trying to get a better handle on when to hold onto a challenging pace and when to descend for swimming. Last night (Sunday) at Master's the main set had 2x200p, 4 x 100 desc, repeat the series 3 times. I ended up hitting the first 100 yds at 1:20 (1:30 send-off) which is blazing fast for me, only hitting that once before. So decided to just hold onto that as best I could. Ended up with all 12 of the 100's at 1:20-1:21 save for one at 1:19. I've been close once before, but it was on a 1:40 send-off  and I was well rested going in (Fri & Sat were challenging swims this time).

First off, congrats on the great times!

How would you describe your RPE for the 100s?

I've been in that situation plenty of times where you have a descending set and the first one is way faster than expected and I think I'm screwed.  Usually what I do in a situation like that is just go with it and see what happens and adjust as needed.  For example, for the first time through I would probably do the first 3 100s holding the 1:20s and if it wasn't gassing me too badly I would push the 4th and see what kind of time I could do with a really strong swim.  Maybe things go really well and you can pull off a 1:17/18.  The next time through I would aim to do the first one just a little bit slower, maybe 1:21/22 and descend the times down to what your fast one was, so 1:21/22, 1:20/21, 1:19/18, 1:17.  

Another important part of the equation is what the 2x200s were like.  If they were setup with an easier pace time to provide some recovery then that allows you to focus even more on the 100s.  Was there any extra rest after the 100s or just straight back into the 200s?

So the question is, what would I have gotten out of starting at say 1:23 and descending from there? There is no reason to expect I could do better than the 1:20 for the fastest one. I didn't want to lose that speed, as has happened before, getting stuck at a slower pace later in a set.

This sounds like a mental hurdle to me .    I'm with you on not wanting to lose the speed and I wouldn't back off by 3 seconds either.  Given that you held the 1:20/21 range the whole way you wouldn't have gained anything by doing 1:23 down to 1:20 but something like I described above may have been better.  Sometimes you will pull it off, sometimes you blow up.  

It's a good exercise in fine tuning your effort level and feel for the water too.  IMO it is easier to hold a specific time than to make the tiny adjustments that increase your 100 speed by one second at a time.

2013-01-14 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4576702

User image

Expert
heykev - 2013-01-13 10:06 PM
bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 5:43 PM

Actually not bad, although on the 23 miler I had to do a walk jog for about a mile and a half. But, my turn around for that run was on the other side of a 384' elevation gain. Yup and since it was the turn around coming back was 384'. Took me 4 1/2 hours. My long practice route is small hills and rolling terrain. The race is 28' overall. I'll never keep up with my daughter and not even going to try so I told her when she finishes, go get me a beer.

That awesome. Marathon running just sounds... hard.

2013-01-14 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4577065

User image

Payson, AZ
KateTri1 - 2013-01-14 7:02 AM

That awesome. Marathon running just sounds... hard.

Ha.  It's more mentally hard then physically IMO.  Especially when you are slow like me and will be out there a while.  But like anything you train up to the long runs and as long as your week day volume supports your long run attempts it all works out.  Once you figure out how to pace for long runs that is. 

2013-01-14 8:11 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Strength training done for the day.  That one is going to leave a mark.  Start of a new rotation of workouts.  First week always hurts a bit more then the rest.   Run on tap for later today when the sun is out.  Not going to bother waiting for it to warm up...cause it's not happening.  I think tomorrow is the last day of our cold spell though

2013-01-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4576484

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 6:33 PMHum, I accidentally stumbled upon a century ride in July in Flagstaff.  I have no right to even be looking at it...but it might be enough to get me back on my bike.  5700ft of climbing in about 10 miles.  Might be enough to motivate me back on to that bike

Er, gulp, say wha????? That is an 11+ percent grade average for 10 miles!?!?!?! There are not enough gears in the world for me to be able to ride that... Hopefully it is at least all at the beginning of the ride and you have a 90 mile descent to the finish...

2013-01-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4577474

User image

Payson, AZ
TankBoy - 2013-01-14 10:11 AM
bzgl40 - 2013-01-13 6:33 PMHum, I accidentally stumbled upon a century ride in July in Flagstaff.  I have no right to even be looking at it...but it might be enough to get me back on my bike.  5700ft of climbing in about 10 miles.  Might be enough to motivate me back on to that bike

Er, gulp, say wha????? That is an 11+ percent grade average for 10 miles!?!?!?! There are not enough gears in the world for me to be able to ride that... Hopefully it is at least all at the beginning of the ride and you have a 90 mile descent to the finish...

Nope, that is the tail end and when temps are expected to be in the 100's.  lol  The decent is prior to that.  Basically climbing back into Flagstaff which is at 7,000ft or so.  I am a bit of a sucker for these type of rides.

2013-01-14 11:30 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey, here is a little something tagging on to the cadence discussion from last week. On Tuesday I did a climbing FTP20 test in the mountains following the normal protocol of warmup, 95% blowout for 5 minutes, 10 minutes spinning, then test on a steady climb averaging right around a 5% grade (couple of short false flats followed some steeper pitches). All of my prior FTP tests have been on th strainer, so I was definitely not used to pacing such an effort on a climb. It was going well and the 5 minute blowout looked good, but the wheels came off fairly quickly on the actual test and instead of building my power it fell pretty steadily instead of building throughout the test. It turned out about 15 watts lower than where I thought it would be. When I got home and checked the data, my cadence (which I did not pay any attention to) was really low, but I was just riding what felt natural/right.

Back up in the mountains I had a much better ride this weekend: on my second climb of the day I held 14 watts higher for 22 minutes than I did on my 20 minute climbing FTP test 4 days prior. And that was after my first climb in which I rode for 43 minutes in mid zone 4.... The difference was all cadence. On my FTP test my cadence was 70, but on the climbs this weekend I ignored everything but cadence (it was actually the only number displayed on my computer) and just held 80-85rpms no matter what. So I think somewhere along the way IM training has caused my "natural" cadence to become much lower that the cadence in which I "naturally produce the most power." Even though I have been riding for 30+ years, I think I somehow bought into the idea (or just didn't understand the nuance) of the common refrain that cadence doesn't really matter - you should just ride at whatever feels "natural." Maybe I am an outlier, but I am definitely doing some cadence work to see if I can get my "natural feeling" cadence to come up to meet my "most efficient power-producing" cadence - for me anyway those two things are clearly different at he moment..

On the upside the first climb was my second fastest time up in the last 3 years, and the second one I beat my PR by a handful of seconds and i still had some space in which to work. Hopefully that means I am in much better shape than I thought I was on Tuesday.

2013-01-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4577519

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
bzgl40 - 2013-01-14 12:29 PM

Nope, that is the tail end and when temps are expected to be in the 100's.  lol  The decent is prior to that.  Basically climbing back into Flagstaff which is at 7,000ft or so.  I am a bit of a sucker for these type of rides.

What ride is this? definitely putting it on my bucket list: I like hot, and I like climbing...

2013-01-14 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4575988

User image

Regular

only when I have a fever or I have thrown up...otherwise....its a training day. If I have a strange urge to stop a workout (very rare) I always find out later there was a good reason for it. Sprain, concussion etc.

oops this was sposed to be tagged to an earlier post. I am technically challenged. sorry.

Edited by dustytrails 2013-01-14 11:51 AM

2013-01-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4576350

User image

Regular
Ya I agree with jennifer even a positive change to swim stroke can throw you off for a few days. Pain should not be present however...just an increase in good kinda of soreness. 
2013-01-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4577531

User image

Payson, AZ
TankBoy - 2013-01-14 10:32 AM

What ride is this? definitely putting it on my bucket list: I like hot, and I like climbing...

http://www.absolutebikes.net/taylor/  The 95 mile route (still do not know how it is called a century but anywho).  Although all their routes do pretty good in the climbing area

2013-01-14 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4577597

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
bzgl40 - 2013-01-14 1:55 PM
TankBoy - 2013-01-14 10:32 AM

http://www.absolutebikes.net/taylor/  The 95 mile route (still do not know how it is called a century but anywho).  Although all their routes do pretty good in the climbing area

That's some crazy elevation!  I have never ridden anything like that and have no concept of what it would be like.

2013-01-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4577617

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190