BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by adempsey10

I live in Canada. Complaining about how cold it is is like complaining about having to eat. It's going to be cold. That's just how it is. It was -10 celsius today so I wore a spring jacket with a hoodie; in other words, it was a mild winter day.

In other news, I have not had a good week. On paper I had a great week. I did 3 runs, 3 bikes and 3 swims. I also had 3 mid-terms. I bombed one of them and probably bombed the third. Overall I feel defeated and worn out. It's been a rum and pepsi night for me. I have 90minutes to pump out tomorrow on the bike and then a rest day. Here's to hoping next week is a better week.

I'm sure next week will be better. At least the class is half over.

Taking today off, but I am going to bike before church, then swim after. My daughter has decided to swim with me and wants to do a kids tri in July. I can get in pool with her, and we are working on the bike. I am assuming my leg will be healed by then.

2014-03-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Burd

Not much going on training wise this week. Swam Monday then came home and got a piece of metal in my eye from putting together a kids toy for a friend. See how dangerous a Little Tykes car can be . Went to the ER and they couldn't get it out so I went to an eye surgeon Tuesday morning. She dug and dug and finally got it out but said no swimming for the week. I go back to her today and hope she clears me to get back in the water Monday. It still feels like there is something in my eye but I was told this is normal. I did manage to get back on the bike yesterday and it felt wonderful. I am keeping my rides short and building my base from scratch. I also see the PT this afternoon to see when she says to try and run again. I'm guessing the month of March is going to be a loss. My HIM plan starts on April 13th so if I don't run until then I'm OK with that. Better safe than sorry I guess. I ordered the Swim Speed workouts so I'll be starting them when they get here next week. Since I can't swim with my tri group until May due to coaching again this soccer season I needed something to keep me on track.

Ouch! Thats all I've got...ouch and eeewww!
2014-03-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I apparently was not specific when I said I wanted my last year in my 40's to be epic....this is redic! It comes in threes right, first the infection that almost hospitalized me, my dog died and now...I found a lump on my breast! No news yet, saw the doc..the good thing is she found two lumps so it may just be inflamed tissue. But she sent me directly to radiology, hoping they could see me that day. I have a mammogram and ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. From there we will learn more.

By epic I meant:
Travel
Dance
Swim with a dolphin
white water rafting
stand under a waterfall
fly
hike Tahoe Rim Trail
Be an Ironman!

My epicness did not include this other junk but it will make it all much more meaningful!

Edited by SportzVision 2014-03-01 2:52 PM
2014-03-01 4:33 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
February saw 24/28
2014-03-01 5:23 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Denver, Colorado
I MET RACHEL JOYCE TODAY! (2013 runner up at Kona, Duh!)

Anyway I went to a running form clinic (free) with the guys as Newton today and everyone was paired up with a partner...mine was the special guest, Rachel Joyce. She has to be one of the most humble and genuine people I've ever met. It was awesome to just talk about training, the joys if running, and go through the drills with a world class Triathelete. Then I went for a very snowy trail run. What a wonderful day so far.

Also February saw 0/8 in the beginning due to the move and sickness 18/20 in the homestretch and my running is going very well, I've even go tot spend a lot of time on the trails which is nice.

Hope all is well!
2014-03-01 7:11 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks God most lumps are benign: they do paralize your brain for a while, but the relief afterwards is immense, worth the best of wines (or beers) you can afford to share with your friends, and the best workout you can ever dream. Good luck, let´s us know how it goes.

Relaxed week, very lazy, a bit of travelling as excuse (today in Lisbon), so tomorrow, first watch the biggest soccer match in the season (Real Madrid vs Atlético, same city, big rivals....) with my son, then 15k run to relax, no matter what the result will be.

Originally posted by SportzVision

February saw 24/28

2014-03-01 9:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-03-01 9:07 PM
2014-03-01 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by SportzVision I apparently was not specific when I said I wanted my last year in my 40's to be epic....this is redic! It comes in threes right, first the infection that almost hospitalized me, my dog died and now...I found a lump on my breast! No news yet, saw the doc..the good thing is she found two lumps so it may just be inflamed tissue. But she sent me directly to radiology, hoping they could see me that day. I have a mammogram and ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. From there we will learn more. By epic I meant: Travel Dance Swim with a dolphin white water rafting stand under a waterfall fly hike Tahoe Rim Trail Be an Ironman! My epicness did not include this other junk but it will make it all much more meaningful!

Good thoughts and karma coming at you from Boise.

Have you ever done the Donner lake Tri? Best time I ever had with my clothes on. :0

2014-03-01 9:41 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by SportzVision I apparently was not specific when I said I wanted my last year in my 40's to be epic....this is redic! It comes in threes right, first the infection that almost hospitalized me, my dog died and now...I found a lump on my breast! No news yet, saw the doc..the good thing is she found two lumps so it may just be inflamed tissue. But she sent me directly to radiology, hoping they could see me that day. I have a mammogram and ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. From there we will learn more. By epic I meant: Travel Dance Swim with a dolphin white water rafting stand under a waterfall fly hike Tahoe Rim Trail Be an Ironman! My epicness did not include this other junk but it will make it all much more meaningful!

Have you ever done the Donner lake Tri? Best time I ever had with my clothes on. :0

I have done Donner! One of my first tri's. I went to a clinic held by the Big Blue women's cycling team and won an entry to the tri. I drive out there and ride to rainbow bridge every once and awhile and as I pedal as hard as I can I am amazed at how fast people ride past me as if I am standing still!
2014-03-01 9:45 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Brian W

I MET RACHEL JOYCE TODAY! (2013 runner up at Kona, Duh!)

Anyway I went to a running form clinic (free) with the guys as Newton today and everyone was paired up with a partner...mine was the special guest, Rachel Joyce. She has to be one of the most humble and genuine people I've ever met. It was awesome to just talk about training, the joys if running, and go through the drills with a world class Triathelete. Then I went for a very snowy trail run. What a wonderful day so far.

Also February saw 0/8 in the beginning due to the move and sickness 18/20 in the homestretch and my running is going very well, I've even go tot spend a lot of time on the trails which is nice.

Hope all is well!

Brian, don't you love how, in this sport, pros make themselves so available for all to meet, greet and learn? It just amazes me!
2014-03-01 9:58 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Juancho

Thanks God most lumps are benign: they do paralize your brain for a while, but the relief afterwards is immense, worth the best of wines (or beers) you can afford to share with your friends, and the best workout you can ever dream. Good luck, let´s us know how it goes.

February saw 24/28

Yes! And Thank God for training, I am usually too tired to do anything but sleep!

2014-03-02 6:15 PM

User image

Cynthia- prayers are with you.

Did a bike and swim today. I did 600 then my wife dropped of my daughter. She did 3/50s with a kick board, I did a 50 between her sets, but her fist tri will only be a 50 (if she decides to do it). she wanted to do more but I was starving.
2014-03-02 6:35 PM

User image

I apparently was not specific when I said I wanted my last year in my 40's to be epic....this is redic! It comes in threes right, first the infection that almost hospitalized me, my dog died and now...I found a lump on my breast! No news yet, saw the doc..the good thing is she found two lumps so it may just be inflamed tissue. But she sent me directly to radiology, hoping they could see me that day. I have a mammogram and ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. From there we will learn more.

By epic I meant:
Travel
Dance
Swim with a dolphin
white water rafting
stand under a waterfall
fly
hike Tahoe Rim Trail
Be an Ironman!

My epicness did not include this other junk but it will make it all much more meaningful!

Hope you get good news from the doc!
2014-03-02 7:43 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Hi All - You miss a little, you miss a lot. Congrats to you all for hitting 1000 posts.

I've had a crazy week with the job search but I plan on being back full force starting tomorrow.
2014-03-02 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Missed training yesterday but made up for it today, well ok trained some today; 5K run then on the bike for 30 mins.
2014-03-02 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey friends:

Lots going on for many of you - I'll keep you in mind, and I hope good news comes to you.

For me, a good training week. This weekend was supposed to be a bit of a splurge - my father's birthday, hanging out with the guys, that sort of thing. Somehow (grumbling at myself, avoiding beer . . .) I managed, between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, to stay generally on track in the food department, and at or near my goals. I wasn't really planning to, but when it came down to order dinner and whatnot - I simply made good choices and grumbled in disgust at the beer selection. Miller, Stella, and Corona? I'll have a diet coke, thanks.

I'm not sure how I feel about that - I guess it's good, since my controls are getting better, but at the same time, it's limiting my ability to splurge. Oh well - just looking forward to getting closer to goal weight. One step at a time.

2014-03-02 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by jeffnboise

I have done Donner! One of my first tri's. I went to a clinic held by the Big Blue women's cycling team and won an entry to the tri. I drive out there and ride to rainbow bridge every once and awhile and as I pedal as hard as I can I am amazed at how fast people ride past me as if I am standing still!

I raced the course, but not the Official 'Donner Lake " tri.  The Western States Police and Fireman Olympics were in Reno/Tahoe a few ago and the the tri course was the same as the Donner race.  That is a TOUGH climb right out of the water. 

Hope all goes well for you, maam.

2014-03-03 10:45 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

February totals (22/28):

• Swim: 3h 49m 10s - 10750 M
  • Bike: 2h 16m 30s - 29.5 Mi
  • Run: 9h 55m 21s - 60.75 Mi

Mostly running for me, since I had the half-marathon near the end of the month. We finally got some "weather" out west which limited my running and biking during the last week of the month.

Yesterday I managed a slightly soggy 4 mile run in misty conditions and enjoyed a really nice special release IPA from Bear Republic called "Apex" that was fresh and hoppy, just the way I like my beer.

March is going to be a mixed bag for me. I'm travelling for a conference next week which always messes with my training schedule, hopefully I'll get a short run in if I get the chance. My main goal will be to maintain my running, continue to work on my swim, and biking when I can.

2014-03-03 2:24 PM

User image

Expert

Missed training yesterday but made up for it today, well ok trained some today; 5K run then on the bike for 30 mins.

Still after the way things have been going for you lately - that's a quality workout!
2014-03-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

February totals (22/28):

• Swim: 3h 49m 10s - 10750 M
  • Bike: 2h 16m 30s - 29.5 Mi
  • Run: 9h 55m 21s - 60.75 Mi

Mostly running for me, since I had the half-marathon near the end of the month. We finally got some "weather" out west which limited my running and biking during the last week of the month.

Yesterday I managed a slightly soggy 4 mile run in misty conditions and enjoyed a really nice special release IPA from Bear Republic called "Apex" that was fresh and hoppy, just the way I like my beer.

March is going to be a mixed bag for me. I'm travelling for a conference next week which always messes with my training schedule, hopefully I'll get a short run in if I get the chance. My main goal will be to maintain my running, continue to work on my swim, and biking when I can.

Good on you for having such a good February. Maybe some rest will do you good.

I wish we got more of Bear REpublic's brews out East. The only thing that is reliably on the shelves is their racer five - which is one of my favorite IPA's.
2014-03-03 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
So, I took 10 days off and waited for my hip to stop hurting. It felt better so I hopped back on the bike today and made it 20 minutes before things started hurting. Grr. So I called my insurance company to ask them how much an MRI would run me and they told me that it would be free - so hopefully that will lead to a solution.

My goals for the month of March is to figure out a way to get in some milage. I was cruising in January and was pretty strong through the first half of february. So, I'm just hoping to get back in the groove.

Do you guys have beers from the Maine Beer Company on the shelves of your beer shop. I don't think they export to Canada but if you are every able to get your hands on a bottle - they put out a lot of tasty stuff. I tried their American Black Ale which was damn tasty! I love it when you get hops which is balanced out by roasty notes. Yum!

2014-03-03 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Last thought - Is there any interest in doing the weekly goals? I didn't hear anything the last time I asked but I just wanted to check. If you want - we can just post them to the forum itself if that works better for everyone. I like to see what everyone is up to so I can cheer you on - but if it's a pain - its not a big deal.

Let me know...
2014-03-03 3:57 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

Last thought - Is there any interest in doing the weekly goals? I didn't hear anything the last time I asked but I just wanted to check. If you want - we can just post them to the forum itself if that works better for everyone. I like to see what everyone is up to so I can cheer you on - but if it's a pain - its not a big deal.

Let me know...

New month starting, new goals: try to stick to my program. Was in Lisbon for the weekend fro work, so missed my training (but enjoyed beautiful, rainy Lisbon and great Alentejo wines for under 20 bucks....). This morning, 2000m swim, trying to do 4 blocks of 500 under 10 min each.

Dave, I would rather have weekly goals here rather than in a different web or link. Have a great week all of you!
2014-03-04 3:54 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

By epic I meant:
Travel
Dance
Swim with a dolphin
white water rafting
stand under a waterfall
fly
hike Tahoe Rim Trail
Be an Ironman!

Clearly someone's just fu'cked with the wrong person! You are an Epic person. Prayers to you.
2014-03-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

did 500 in pool then some drill sets, lifted weights after. A friend of mine said if I cant run and get ready for IM he would do a relay with me. I can swim and bike he will run. Guess its an option. I'm afraid I am not healing as fast as I could because I am trying not to take time off work, but may have to. I am wearing running shoes and a brace instead of boots, but I've had to run several times as well as various other jarring activities.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.