Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-06-27 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Had a bit of a rough week mentally as my company announced they're moving most of us into offices next year, so that's been a distraction for sure. 

The requirement to start working back at the office is what caused my wife to decide to quit her job in 2021. (worked out for us...she got a better job with a nice company and now makes more than double what she was making and uses her extensive skill set...). Good luck.

Why would anyone not want to work at the office ? I love it! I have great co-workers, we have a laugh.

2023-06-27 8:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Mike, will you be fully in office or hybrid? That is definitely frustrating since you have been successfully (I assume) working remotely for years. Half of my staff live out of state now, so we have committed to being remote for them, but other positions we require to be in the office. It has helped us with a few space issues, which is nice.
2023-06-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hey, all.  Had a bit of a rough week mentally as my company announced they're moving most of us into offices next year, so that's been a distraction for sure. 

The requirement to start working back at the office is what caused my wife to decide to quit her job in 2021. (worked out for us...she got a better job with a nice company and now makes more than double what she was making and uses her extensive skill set...). Good luck.

Why would anyone not want to work at the office ? I love it! I have great co-workers, we have a laugh.

I also personally really like coming to the office, though appreciate the days where I can work offsite. I was getting tired of being in my house and found I was way more sedentary than when I come into the office.
2023-06-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've worked from home (with some intermittent traveling to offices across the country, but mostly to our HQ in Connecticut) for almost 15 years.  It's going to be a hybrid 3 days a week thing but I'm more worried about the commute (30+ minutes) and cost (parking will cost me like $150/month).  It's not the end of the world and I agree with Nathalie I like going to an office once in a while, but usually that's with people I work with vs. just random people in my company (there are like 70,000 of us) that I don't know or work with in any way.  I'm on camera for most of my meetings, and I intentionally force contact with people just to have some "water cooler" talk like you would in an office.

I expect some attrition with this decision - I know of people who will face 90 minute commutes and that just isn't gonna fly.  I also know people who are caregivers that this is going to really impact family-wise so I'm not going to whine about poor ol' me. 

Anyway, back to triathlon.  This morning was 40 minutes on the treadmill with a little "speed" work (30 second R pace intervals) then legs day.  If the weather holds out (it's been raining for like a week straight here) I'm going to walk across the street to our neighborhood pool for a short swim.  It's not set up as a lap pool but it is 22 yards (really??) so I can get a little work in.

2023-06-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I've worked from home (with some intermittent traveling to offices across the country, but mostly to our HQ in Connecticut) for almost 15 years.  It's going to be a hybrid 3 days a week thing but I'm more worried about the commute (30+ minutes) and cost (parking will cost me like $150/month).  It's not the end of the world and I agree with Nathalie I like going to an office once in a while, but usually that's with people I work with vs. just random people in my company (there are like 70,000 of us) that I don't know or work with in any way.  I'm on camera for most of my meetings, and I intentionally force contact with people just to have some "water cooler" talk like you would in an office.

I expect some attrition with this decision - I know of people who will face 90 minute commutes and that just isn't gonna fly.  I also know people who are caregivers that this is going to really impact family-wise so I'm not going to whine about poor ol' me. 

oh! the commute! didn't think about it I am lucky to live 15 minutes drive from my office. If I had to commute 90 minutes (and pay for parking) I would certainly not think it's that fun!

Anyway, back to triathlon.  This morning was 40 minutes on the treadmill with a little "speed" work (30 second R pace intervals) then legs day.  If the weather holds out (it's been raining for like a week straight here) I'm going to walk across the street to our neighborhood pool for a short swim.  It's not set up as a lap pool but it is 22 yards (really??) so I can get a little work in.

You can't swim if it's raining? People here are talking about cancelling swim-run training tonight because of the rain. But we're going to get wet in the lake anyway so why can't we train in the rain?

2023-06-27 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

You can't swim if it's raining? People here are talking about cancelling swim-run training tonight because of the rain. But we're going to get wet in the lake anyway so why can't we train in the rain?

Rain, yes.  Thunderstorm, no.  Which is what we get all June here in Maryland and if they hear thunder you have to wait 30 minutes before it reopens (even the indoor pools). 

I love swimming in an outdoor pool in the rain.  Gets rid of all the people. 

Speaking of which - weather cooperated and I got a short swim done...550 yards.  I'm not sure what the appropriate multiple of 22 yards qualifies as OK with the group but I figured that's basically 500 meters so close enough.  It's a Gretchen pool, no lines and the one end is 2'6" so you not only can't flip turn, but I whack my hands and have to stand up to even open turn.  And I was wearing board shorts, so basically swimming with a parachute on. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-06-27 12:45 PM

2023-06-27 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Total disaster this morning.

No run, as we had to leave home at 6am to get north for my site visit in time for the break in production. Got 1/2 an hour up the road and hear on the radio the road is closed due to a rock slip. The detour will take to long to get there in time, so turn around and go back home. So no run, no site visit, but still got the early morning wake up.

And of course we get to try again next week.

I will aim to do a short treadmill run this evening as penance.
2023-06-27 4:26 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mrs Bullfrog works from home, this is her 2nd job doing it. Being home, and having the flexibility that comes with that was important for us while the kids are young. We want her to be there for school drop offs and pick ups etc. On the other hand I work 100% at the office. A lot of what I do I could do remotely, everything's on the cloud these days. But we're a small company and someone has to be here to send and receive parts, and I also feel I would be too tempted to head off for a long run at lunch break and be totally unproductive in the afternoon. I think the ritual of coming in to the office helps with the focus. I'm only here to do one thing, far less distractions.

So I can see both sides to the argument. One thing though, if you've been remote for 15 years, and now they want to change things on you that is rough. Office or remote are both fine if that's what you sign up for, but making you change, without your consent doesn't seem fair.
2023-06-28 12:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--does the company have a rational for calling everyone into the office? You've been working from home for 15 years, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. And...are they offering any sort of compensation for the added expenses of working out of the office (commute, wear and tear on vehicles, parking, etc.)? Working from home certainly isn't for everyone, but I don't think it is fair for them to change the rules at this stage in the game.

@Nathalie--I love swimming in the rain!! In the lightening, not so much. A friend of mine lost her dog trying to swim across a lake to beat a storm (she didn't) last summer. Best we can think is that the dog got freaked out by the storm and had a heart attack (she was old) and then drown. It was awful.

@Andrew--that sounds like a nightmare morning. I probably would have done my run after coming home from the aborted trip. Comp time. :D

@Nicole--you leave for Tahoe today? Have a great race!!

As for me, I got in an early ride (60' Z1) before heading to the pool for a 1900yd swim. Yes...1900 yds. Could have done another 100 to hit the round number, but I really liked my average pace for the swim and I didn't want to screw it up by doing a slow 100. Plus, this woman got in the pool at about my half way mark and she was super annoying. She had slathered on sunscreen while sitting on the deck and then immediately got in the pool--thus washing it all off and making the pool taste gross! Then, she was probably the worst swimmer I've seen in a while, which...who cares, she's out here doing it, but she had no ability to swim straight, nor was she particularly aware of that fact. There were several times when I narrowly avoided hitting her because she had drifted into the "lane" I was swimming in. I think it was a good day to practice sighting.

Today is the beginning of Eid-ul-Adha in Cairo, the annual festival celebrating Abraham's (or Prophet Ibriham's) willingness to sacrifice his son to Allah. Allah recognized Ibriham's devotion to him and sent the Archangel Gabriel with a sheep to be sacrificed instead, so everyone sacrifices a sheep or a goat and it is shared three ways. One part is eaten by the family. One part is given to friends/family. One part is given to the needy. People celebrate by gathering with friends and family to enjoy just being happy and together. The festival lasts three days and everything seems to be closed, so I guess I'm in for the weekend. Except for the whole slaughtering of animals bit, it sounds really nice. I was in the cab to the pool this morning and saw a sheep in the swanky neighborhood I used to live in, which was odd. I'm used to seeing sheep downtown and especially if you have to go to the outer areas of Cairo, but I've never seen one on Zamalek (and island in the middle of the Nile where many foreigners live).

2023-06-28 1:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Rain, yes.  Thunderstorm, no.  Which is what we get all June here in Maryland and if they hear thunder you have to wait 30 minutes before it reopens (even the indoor pools). 

I love swimming in an outdoor pool in the rain.  Gets rid of all the people. 

Speaking of which - weather cooperated and I got a short swim done...550 yards.  I'm not sure what the appropriate multiple of 22 yards qualifies as OK with the group but I figured that's basically 500 meters so close enough.  It's a Gretchen pool, no lines and the one end is 2'6" so you not only can't flip turn, but I whack my hands and have to stand up to even open turn.  And I was wearing board shorts, so basically swimming with a parachute on. 

Ah ok, you didn’t Mention the risk of thunderstorms, only that it rained, hence my question, just when I’d read that my swim run training maybe cancelled because of the rain (no danger of storm here yesterday).
As it turned out, it did rain and only 5 people turned up (vs 12 last week when it was hot and sunny). We got wet but the lake is pretty wet anyway.
Pleased to report that the change to my catch the coach made last week seems to work as I was about 45 to 60 seconds faster over 330m. Will be interesting to see how it translate over to swimming without paddles and shoes at my race on Saturday.

Swimming with a parachute on is great strength training
2023-06-28 1:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry you had to get up early for nothing Andrew. That’s my least favourite reason to get up early. (my favourite reason would be a race I suppose, all the other reasons are not my favourite)

Sounds like a great festival Gretchen (other than the sacrificing but as long as I eat meat (and I do), it would be hypocritical of me to condemn this)

Ooh, soon Nicole! Exciting!

2023-06-28 3:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Sounds like a great festival Gretchen (other than the sacrificing but as long as I eat meat (and I do), it would be hypocritical of me to condemn this)

I have no problem (in general) with the idea of sacrificing an animal that is going to be eaten...just killing something to kill it, ridiculous in my book. I just don't want to see it happen!
2023-06-28 6:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I have no problem (in general) with the idea of sacrificing an animal that is going to be eaten...just killing something to kill it, ridiculous in my book. I just don't want to see it happen!

I'm with you, I wouldn't want to see it either. They're eating it in this case so I guess it's OK.

2023-06-29 12:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 10 mile run this morning (and no...I never in my life thought I'd call a 10 mile run nice). I got a little curious about how my training this year is stacking up to last year's training, seeing as how there are so many more obstacles this year, so I went back and looked at the long run in the first week of the last big training block from last year. I ran this morning's run at a pace 38" faster per mile than last year's pace, but HR was the same and max speed was 3:xx faster. Feeling pretty good about training right now, despite all of the issues to overcome in Egyptian life.

Currently contemplating my brick scheduled for Saturday. 4:30 bike/40' run...the conundrum is whether I should start the bike at 2am and run when the streets are relatively quite, or act like a normal person and ride at a more reasonable time like 6 and risk the streets being insane when I head out for my run. The unknown is that the festival will still be going on, so I don't know if the streets will be typically, more, or less busy...I'm leaning toward up super early to run in the morning before it gets too crazy--and hot. We'll see, a lot will depend on how early I could go to bed on Friday night.
2023-06-29 1:06 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Wow! 38’’ per mile is a huge improvement. Not surprising as you beat your half marathon time by 20 minutes or so recently, didn’t you? Nice to see the hard work is paying off.

I am curious about how the moderate work I have put in this year is going to reflect on Saturday, my first tri of the season. It’s a sprint with a shorter swim (400m). I think I did this one in 2018 but I can’t find the result.
As I don’t have a time to beat and I can’t remember the course so I don’t know how fast I can be, I will just take it relatively easy, just enjoy the day. Will aim for 1h20 or under.

Gretchen you are crazy, 2am start? If it was me (but I am known for taking the easy way out at every opportunity) I would do a rbick instead, followed by a short run round the block .

Rest day for me today.
2023-06-29 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Wow! 38’’ per mile is a huge improvement. Not surprising as you beat your half marathon time by 20 minutes or so recently, didn’t you? Nice to see the hard work is paying off. I am curious about how the moderate work I have put in this year is going to reflect on Saturday, my first tri of the season. It’s a sprint with a shorter swim (400m). I think I did this one in 2018 but I can’t find the result. As I don’t have a time to beat and I can’t remember the course so I don’t know how fast I can be, I will just take it relatively easy, just enjoy the day. Will aim for 1h20 or under. Gretchen you are crazy, 2am start? If it was me (but I am known for taking the easy way out at every opportunity) I would do a rbick instead, followed by a short run round the block . Rest day for me today.

Ditto.  Reverse it, or maybe the treadmill (but I know the gym is a bit of a pain to get to).

2023-06-29 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Very solid week progressing along.  Yesterday got in a really good 75 minute Bikram session and then a noon Z2 into Z3 ride (hour).  This morning was some short steady state intervals on the bike and a 25+ minute run on the treadmill with some tempo intervals, then did 30 minutes of strength and #$@$#!! planks. 

2023-06-29 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen - nice work on the improvement - that's awesome!

@Nathalie - 400 meters is basically a warm up so I don't think you'll have any issues as long as you don't go crazy

@Nicole - good luck on the Tahoe thing this weekend

@Andrew - feeling back to normal yet?  Sorry about your detour day - we don't have that problem here on the east coast of the U.S. (but they occasionally do out west in the Rockies, and avalanches, too!)

Work week is almost done and I'm doing a four-day weekend coming up. 

2023-06-29 9:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!
Tahoe is next weekend! Starts on 7/7. This weekend is a wedding in VA Beach, which I leave for this evening. Busy couple of weeks!

Mike - working remote for 15 years and they're bringing you in?! I would be extremely upset about that as well. I wasn't sure if you were just remote since COVID, but that's a totally different story. Maybe they are needing to do layoffs, but figure this way people will probably leave on their own? I think it's fair to say they need to pay for your parking if you need to go into the office. Hope it all works out!

Nathalie, amazing the change of catch made that much of a difference!

Andrew, what a day!! Sorry to hear that you went through that. Feels like such a waste of a day I'm sure.

Gretchen...2am run? Wowsers, that would be a whole new level of beast!
2023-06-29 9:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've had an extremely crazy week but in a good way for the most part.

Work has been super productive and I'm finally crossing things off my list that have been on there for a long time.

Home - I finally pulled the trigger and got a house cleaner. So of course, I had to clean my house before they came...I've spent most of the week de-cluttering and cleaning so she could get in there easier to do the deep cleaning stuff. My house is GLORIOUS. I didn't know my kitchen sink could be that clean...This is going to be life-changing I think. I can focus so much better when my space is clean.

Training - I've not been running every day, but every other day, and with the cleaning I've still been moving quite a bit and my body has been pretty sore. I'm bringing stuff down to VA with me and have told the friend I'm staying with that I'm not drinking much (to prepare her expectations). She has young kids so other than the wedding I imagine it will be a pretty chill weekend.

Nutrition - I meal prepped breakfast (overnight oats) and one meal a day (homemade ground turkey burrito bowls), and bought pre-made salad, fruit, hummus and veggies. I've dropped a couple lbs and am feeling much better overall, so just need to try to maintain this. With all my travel over the next week and a half that will definitely be more difficult, but I took time off after Tahoe so will get back on track when I'm home.
2023-06-29 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Gretchen. No way, no how am I getting up at 2am for a workout. I'm a fan of early starts and getting the work done. But that is too much. My vote is you get up at a more sensible time, maybe like 4-5?, do the bike and hope for the best on the run. If your planned 40 minutes gets turned into a 15 minute brick run due to Egyptian madness on the roads that's fine. It's going to make little to no difference on race day. Add the difference to another run to make up the time if it bothers you

Nice job on seeing those gains compared to last year. That's awesome improvement.

@Nathalie, I think all the easy to moderate miles you've put in will make a big difference. There is a lot to be said for a big base. And half marathon training is a nice big base for a sprint tri season. Looking forward to seeing how you go

@Mike, Nice work with the bike and brick. Enjoy the 4 day weekend. Not at all jealous.

@Nicole, If your body is 'pretty sore' you might want to back the running off even more, focus more on your yoga/recovery type stuff in the last week before your run. You want to be showing up next weekend feeling fresh, not broken.

2023-06-29 10:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I have been in a bit of a funk this week.

Monday off,
Tuesday up early, 90 min zwift, shortened to 60 minutes
Wednesday up early for the canceled work trip, easy 30 min run in the evening
Thursday, Stayed in bed rather than getting up to ride. 30 min run in the evening again
Friday, Stayed in bed rather than get up and ride.

I'll do a zwift ride tonight, watching my warriors play (currently tied for 3rd on the table, maybe it is our year). a 90 min long run and 2 hour 'long' ride planned over the weekend.

Got to get back into early morning stuff again. I had done 3 weeks straight of it before getting a bit sick. But once the streak was broken I'm finding it very hard to restart that habit. Re starting that habit is definitely the main goal for July.

Have a good weekend guys.
2023-06-29 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I got a little curious about how my training this year is stacking up to last year's training,

Your comments about this year compared to last year got me thinking about my own progress.

1st Jan - 30 June 2022, approx. 90 hours SBR total, and 11lbs gained.
1st Jan - 30 June 2023, approx. 138 hours SBR total and 11lbs dropped.

I don't have a similar workout to compare to. But there's no question that's a better first half of the year than last.
2023-06-30 1:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I've had an extremely crazy week but in a good way for the most part.

Work has been super productive and I'm finally crossing things off my list that have been on there for a long time.

Home - I finally pulled the trigger and got a house cleaner. So of course, I had to clean my house before they came...I've spent most of the week de-cluttering and cleaning so she could get in there easier to do the deep cleaning stuff. My house is GLORIOUS. I didn't know my kitchen sink could be that clean...This is going to be life-changing I think. I can focus so much better when my space is clean.

Training - I've not been running every day, but every other day, and with the cleaning I've still been moving quite a bit and my body has been pretty sore. I'm bringing stuff down to VA with me and have told the friend I'm staying with that I'm not drinking much (to prepare her expectations). She has young kids so other than the wedding I imagine it will be a pretty chill weekend.

Nutrition - I meal prepped breakfast (overnight oats) and one meal a day (homemade ground turkey burrito bowls), and bought pre-made salad, fruit, hummus and veggies. I've dropped a couple lbs and am feeling much better overall, so just need to try to maintain this. With all my travel over the next week and a half that will definitely be more difficult, but I took time off after Tahoe so will get back on track when I'm home.

Way to go Nicole! nice work on the runs and the meal preps!

Enjoy the wedding! Hope you can keep the alcohol intake to a reasonable amount. If it's a good party, it won't be better with drinking and if it's boring, it will still be boring if you drink too much and you'll regret it in the morning.

Yes, if you can afford it and find the right people you can trust, a cleaner is a life saver. Frees up a lot of training time.

2023-06-30 1:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

I have been in a bit of a funk this week.

Monday off,
Tuesday up early, 90 min zwift, shortened to 60 minutes
Wednesday up early for the canceled work trip, easy 30 min run in the evening
Thursday, Stayed in bed rather than getting up to ride. 30 min run in the evening again
Friday, Stayed in bed rather than get up and ride.

I'll do a zwift ride tonight, watching my warriors play (currently tied for 3rd on the table, maybe it is our year). a 90 min long run and 2 hour 'long' ride planned over the weekend.

Got to get back into early morning stuff again. I had done 3 weeks straight of it before getting a bit sick. But once the streak was broken I'm finding it very hard to restart that habit. Re starting that habit is definitely the main goal for July.

Have a good weekend guys.

Yes, that's tough to get back into it after a break. You'll get there! I've been telling you, this IS the Warriors' year! Mark my words!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland