BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-19 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Hey gang-unusual day of workouts for me....2 runs in one day. Easy 25 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening. I think my coach is trying to build my run fatigue resistance up without too much stress in each run. I can definitely feel ny run fitness coming back even though most all of my runs have been very easy. Hope my calf cooperates!

Blanda-the jump from sprint to olympic distance is pretty big...usually about twice the distance across the board in s/b/r. I have no doubt that you can do the distances. The thing that gets tough in an olympic distance event is the increase in fatigue on the body. Doubling the distance in any one discipline isn't that bad but doing it in all three back to back can be tough......especially at the end on the run when the 5k has become 10k.  If you do it I would consider doing it as a long "training" type of day.  I'm not saying to just float through it but keep an eye on your paces and your nutrition. It would be a good chance to get experience at the distance and stretch your limits a bit. Just keep in mind what your goals for the season are and decide which race will better prepare you to meet them.  

2013-02-19 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Well, I woke up with a terrible sore throat and a stuffed up head. I shouldn't be surprised since everyone else in the house has had the crud but I thought it might miss me. Fortunately, I had the day off of work so I laid around the house and did paper work. I'll hit the bed early tonight and hope the rest day boosts my immune system enough to get through this in just a few days.
2013-02-19 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4629224

User image

Master
Randy: Thanks so much for the wise words. A friend and fellow triathlete with a lot more experience than I have said pretty much the same thing, and said that the course would make it miserable too with it being multiple loops and there and backs.

She convinced me to make it a "fun" training day by doing the sprint, right after take the bike out on a hill, then toss in a run in the end. I'm going to take that route. Looking forward to it!

Swim at lunch here real soon, then run when husband gets home from work.
2013-02-20 2:46 AM

User image

Expert

Its 0340 am and I'm working, fielding ER calls and endless admissions.  So much for my plans for a dreadmill run at the tiny gym in the hospital.  I did mange to get in a 2 hour training ride once I awoke after last night's shift.  Its particularly difficult for me to get in enough training on the night shift.  Only 4 more nights to go!!  Does anyone else work nights?  I work a week of nights once every 8-10 weeks or so.  Really puts a wrench in everything.  I have tried running or swimming after a night shift but I just can't.  Instead I go right to bed and try to do it once I get up. 

I have some catching up to do in the forum but it seems like everyone is working hard.  Jim

2013-02-20 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4629548

User image

Master
Jim: I'm amazed you get all the workouts in that you do with the kind of busy you deal with. Hope it settles for you a bit so you can get some training in, or rest, even!

Got in 1500 OWS today and a 6 mile run. Very happy with both. Waters were calm so the swim was faster. My run was faster than usual too. I think the low mileage last week gave the running muscles a little extra healing time, so the legs felt great yesterday and today. I guess there's a positive to unintended slow weeks, huh?

Have a great "hump day", guys! It's Thursday for me, and Friday the kids are off from school, so early weekend start. Yay! Luckily Friday is a scheduled rest day so if I don't get any training in with the kids home then I won't feel so bad.
2013-02-20 1:16 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jim-I don't know how you and others doing night shift duty handle it. So hard to adjust.

Its been quiet here the last few days. What's everyone up to?

Easy treadmill run at lunch followed by a really short swim. Haven't swam since Saturday and given limited chance for swim workouts this week I thought a few laps in the pool would be good. Tough bike interval workout tonight...UGH!

2013-02-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4630218

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Masters practice this morning involved a lot of sprinting. I kept up with the big dogs, so I'm pretty happy about that! Wore me the heck out though. I'm going to sleep well tonight!

Finished an hour run at lunchtime while listening to a podcast. Really helps pass the time. I normally listen to Rich Roll. Jamie has suggested Macca's podcast as well as a few others. Anyone else listen to any tri-specific podcasts or something along those lines?

2013-02-20 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Well I had a milestone of sorts today.  The distance and speed are nothing to shout about, but significant to me at least.  For the first time in 4 decades I did a run workout on back-to-back days.

After the hideous run last Friday of 31.5 minutes to do 2.50 miles I decided not to step up to the 2.75 miles on Monday in favor of a few more days at 2.50.  Yesterday I ran it in 28:25 and today at 27:53.  Today I could have run a little faster and/or a little longer.

On Friday I will move to 2.75 miles and then 3.00 on March 1st.  That will give me seven weeks right at or above my 5k race distance.  Hopefully that will be enough time to at least not embarass myself on race day during the run.

2013-02-20 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Great milestone, Stuart! It's always great to feel progress.
45min ride on the trainer followed by a 15min run this evening. Pretty much status quo. Nate, try IMTalk, also. The first half is a little worthless since they only talk about racing results in the Southern Hemisphere, but they do good interviews afterward.
2013-02-20 7:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been MIA for the last few days because of my Up North adventures. It sounds like everyone is doing great. I had a great time skiing and sledding and just generally goofing off. Running was tough but it is always fun to run outside up there.

Dave, nice work on the tri. I have done a couple races after working overnight and I always suffer for it.... although my PR HM was run on about 2 hours of sleep after an OB shift......

Jimmy, I don't ever work a week of nights but it seems like about every 8-10 days I end up working an overnight shift. Some of them are easy and I do great and sometimes I get totally wrecked and it takes days to get back to baseline.

Stuart, nice job on the back to back running days. This week I am going to ride the bike four days in a row. I like the bike but my rides have been so hard that I have been dreading them. In fact, I am dragging my feet about getting on the bike tonight. Posting on our forum is a lot easier.

Rene, I just crave copious calories. I have gained 4-5 pounds since IMAZ but I am amazed it isn't more with the way I have been eating.

Well, I could stay and chat but the bike beckons and the night is not getting any younger. Talk to you all tomorrow.
2013-02-20 7:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-congrats. You are being smart with your training and how you are ramping up the run. Good job.

Bike workout done. Struggled at times but made it through and hit my numbers. Looooooong swim tomorrow and another easy run.

2013-02-20 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jason four days on a bike is great for me IF it’s outside on the road.  Indoors 4 days in a row would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Dave good work on the tri.  Faster is better.  As for my one race experience, I didn’t drink on the bike or run.  I grabbed a little hydration in the transitions only.  For that short of a race that seemed to work for me.  I don’t know if that is unusual or not.

Jim while I have never worked nights I had a very sleep deprived high school.  I used to go to bed after Johnny Carson 1:00am (yes I am dating myself) and in the pool by 6:00am.  Getting 4 hours of sleep was the norm for me.  Then every five or six month I would crash.  I would go to bed when I got home from a Friday practice with an off Saturday, skipping dinner et al.  I would generally sleep for 20-24 hours getting up in time for Saturday’s dinner.  NOT a schedule I recommend.

2013-02-21 5:05 AM
in reply to: #4630930

User image

Expert

Stuart - thats a crazy schedule.  Reminds me of my internship/residency days.

I had a good run today.  I awoke in somewhat of a fog state after a busy night shift with a long run planned.  I felt up to it physically but mentally I just was not there.  I then decided this was going to be an excellent time to train myself "mentally" and kept visualizing this run as being the last segment of an IM race.  Everytime I wanted to stop (which was every ten minutes) I just kept visualizing this and kept pushing through.  It ended up being a 2 hour run and I'm glad I got it done despite constantly wanting to stop as my mind was just not into it.  I consider this a good mental training exercise. 

I truly believe the mental exercise of pushing though this was very good for me.  I believe in my long course tri experience that mental training is as important as physical.  What do others think?

Jim

2013-02-21 6:55 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I've been really crazy lately - Jim I've never worked the night shift but from Feb-April 15th I work 10.5 hour weekdays (plus my 50 minute commute each way) and at least 6 hours on Saturday so I know how tough it can be to squeeze those workouts in - hang in there!

So far I've been successful keeping up my workouts but thanks to garmin's finicky ANT+ stick I haven't been very good about logging - I think I'm caught up now. 

I'm very much looking forward to Sunday when I can relax (after I shovel out from the 8 inches of snow in the forecast LOL) and catch up with everyone again.

PS  Great job Dave on the Tri last weekend!

2013-02-21 7:00 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
For the first time in weeks I managed to hit all of my intervals on the bike. It made me very happy.
2013-02-21 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Brick workout planned for today at lunch. 45min on the bike and 15min run.

I've been thinking recently about adding weights to my training plan. I used to lift a lot when I was a big boy but since I've started Triathlon, I haven't done anything since July.

I know the benefits of strength training in general but would like to hear if anyone here has any advice on it with Triathlon. What's your experience with them + Tri and do you feel better/worse with weights? 

2013-02-21 9:16 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-I did primarily weight workouts before I started doing triathlons. Those workouts eventually faded away once I got serious about traithlon. I would love to incorporate light weights and more core work into my routine but just don't have the time. I suspect there are benefits to be had from consistent weight training...primarily in strength and fatigue resistance but for us mere mortals we will probably have better improvement by focusing on s/b/r. If the goal is overall health and fitness then a combination of tri and weights would be a great way to build both tone and aerobic capacity.

Early morning treadmill run. Going to try to get my swim in at some point today but daughter's car wouldn't start this morning so may be dealing with that instead   

2013-02-21 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jason – way to go on the intervals!

Nate – I am new to this sport so maybe not the best resource but I started adding weights in about two months ago. I have been primarily working on my upper body.  I am seeing some benefit, mostly on the bike and smaller benefit for my swim.  As for feeling better/worse, for me, better.

2013-02-21 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Thanks for the Strength training info, everyone.

Just finished my Brick workout. I felt great! Even after hitting a curb, performing a flying flip over the handlebars and rolling into a seated position on the sidewalk.

So yeah, that was my first crash. Before entering a turn circle, a car decided to share the lane with me and then pass.  He got in front of me and slowed down quite a bit while driving the circle. In turn I had to brake, but I just ended up fishtailing to the side of the road and hitting the curb.

I'm grateful I didn't end up with any serious injuries (just a blood blister under my left thumb) and the bike seems okay at first glance (going to take it to the LBS to get an inspection).

Anyone else have crash stories? It would make me feel better to know I'm not the only one! Yell

2013-02-21 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow Nate! Glad you are relatively OK. I have only wrecked once....so far. First time riding with clip in pedals. Stopped and before I unclipped I fell over to the side....DUH! Hope the bike is OK.

Very mediocre swim workout done....actually it wasn't that good Just one of those days.

2013-02-21 2:43 PM

User image

Master

Nate, so glad you didn't get hurt worse in that crash! I haven't crashed on the road yet. I'm afraid to! I have in MTBing. A lot. It hurts, but probably not as much as hitting pavement does.

Got in an 11 mile bike ride at lunch yesterday and a 5 mile run last night. My body is tired. I was pooped. The kind of tired where you get in bed, get comfy, and lights out.

So, I've decided to team up with a couple friends to do the Olympic distance triathlon this weekend. These are a couple friends who are new to the racing scenes. One cycles a bit more than she runs, and one only runs, so figured it'd be a healthy way to hang out, expose them to the tri scene, and I get to time my swim in a race environment.

Today is "rest" day, but I'm going to get a swim in. Kids are off from school, so I made a deal with them. If they let me swim 1500m, I'll take them to the beach after. Everyone wins!

Have a great evening.

2013-02-21 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Nate glad you are ok.  I have not had a crash yet but I am realistic enough to know my turn will come.

I didn't think I was going to get to workout today with a very full work schedule.  One appointment finsihed early and my last one cancelled so it was on.  A quick 30 minutes on the bike, then my 30 minute upper body weight training.  Then I decided if consistncy is what makes runners I would run again today, third day in a row.

I hit my 2.50 miles just a few seconds off yesterday's pace and decided I was feeling good enough to add the extra quarter mile today.  I did the 2.75 miles in 30:33.  Nobody laugh!

Now if I can shave off just 3 seconds a lap I am at 30 minutes even.  Then jump up to 3 miles and repeat.  My 5k in Dec was 35:59.  I want to go under 30 in April.  I will need those six minutes to offset some of the extra bike time since this tri is 4 miles farther on the bike route.

Finally, my wife reminded me that I missed an anniversary of sorts yesterday.  It was Feb 20th of last year when I decided it was time to get back in to shape (other than round).  I was at 250# back then, now 193.8# on my way to a target of 180#.

2013-02-21 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4632400

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nate - as others have said glad you are ok!

20 year old girl hit me while riding once.  She said "I didn't see you."  Awesome.  Anyway I walked away with scratches but the brand new carbon fiber bike I was riding snapped the rear triangle off.  Literally 1.96 miles from my house on that bike's maiden ride.  But I digress and I've probably mentioned it before - sore subject LOL

Stuartap - 2013-02-21 6:49 PM

I hit my 2.50 miles just a few seconds off yesterday's pace and decided I was feeling good enough to add the extra quarter mile today.  I did the 2.75 miles in 30:33.  Nobody laugh!

Nobody would dare laugh......because you would have already smoked us on the swim!!

Blanda kick in your Olympic debut!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-02-21 7:04 PM
2013-02-21 10:32 PM

User image

New user
Nate, so glad you made it through without a lasting injury.

Stuart, congratulations on a great anniversary! Awesome weight loss progress!

Blanda, I hope you have a wonderful swim.

Things are good with me on the workout front. I have had 3 sessions with my swim coach. She says my form and endurance have both improved. I am thinking the improvements must be microscopic but I will have to take her word for it!
2013-02-22 6:14 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-relay sounds like fun although swimming would have been my third choice Good luck.

Stuart-that is phenomenal progress in a year. Really impressive. Keep up the good work.

Randee-scary story about your wreck and trashing the bike. How's your husband recovering from his surgery?

Mary-keep at it with the swim. So important to learn the right way than to try to fix things later on.

I'm about to get on the bike for a workout I dread. Then its off to Birminghan for another HS soccer tournament with my daughter. 2 games this evening then 2 tomorrow and back home Saturday night. Hope to get a 60 minute run in tomorrow..probably on the hotel treadmill. Then long ride, hopefully outside, on Sunday and a long swim.

I'll be following the SEC Indoor Track Championships online as much as possible. Son, Gil, is running the 5k Sunday afternoon for Alabama....he is really excited to have the chance as a freshman. The meet is broadcast online on ESPN3 but of course not through our home internet provider. Going to have to find some place to watch his race Sunday!

I'll check in later. Have a great weekend everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66