BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Why Body Glide under the armpits? Did you get chafing from the wetsuit...on the bike or run?

Nice job Matt. Breathing and comfort will get there with practice in the water.

Question: I bought and aero helmet a while back and wear my sunglasses with it. I find though that with the helmet, I often look over the bridge of the glasses when I am in aero position...so in reality the glasses are more of a hassle. I have been looking but can't seem to find a visor that I could attach to the helmet. It is a Giro Air Advantage 2. Anyone know of any DIY visor ideas?

My tri shirt destroyed my armpits on the bike and the run. It may just be this particular style of shirt, because I've never had a problem in that area before.

2013-06-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Why Body Glide under the armpits? Did you get chafing from the wetsuit...on the bike or run?

Question: I bought and aero helmet a while back and wear my sunglasses with it. I find though that with the helmet, I often look over the bridge of the glasses when I am in aero position...so in reality the glasses are more of a hassle. I have been looking but can't seem to find a visor that I could attach to the helmet. It is a Giro Air Advantage 2. Anyone know of any DIY visor ideas?
There is a DIY visor option out there. I will need to find the link again. It does require you to cut into the helmet a little though. If done right it looks very good and is legal. I have the same helmet but I don't have the issue with the glasses. Perhaps it is just flexibility or your position that is different from mine. I will post here once I find the link.
With the link: http://mariusheier.no/trening_og_sykkel/2009/05/how-to-fit-a-louis-...

The forum link with other pics and info: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

Edited by kidtri33 2013-06-03 12:00 PM
2013-06-03 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Why Body Glide under the armpits? Did you get chafing from the wetsuit...on the bike or run? Nice job Matt. Breathing and comfort will get there with practice in the water. Question: I bought and aero helmet a while back and wear my sunglasses with it. I find though that with the helmet, I often look over the bridge of the glasses when I am in aero position...so in reality the glasses are more of a hassle. I have been looking but can't seem to find a visor that I could attach to the helmet. It is a Giro Air Advantage 2. Anyone know of any DIY visor ideas?

Certain styles of tri tops rub under the arm, as do certain swimskins.  My new tri top rubbed less than my old one did so score?  Or maybe I was so numb by the run at IMTX that I didn't feel it?  LOL.

2013-06-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 Wow, nice job to the racers. There's some speedsters in this group! I actually do wear gloves. If I don't I will have a numb/ tingling thumb and pinky finger for a few days after a ride. I'm guessing that isn't healthy, hence gloves. This Saturday I rode from Plattsburgh - Lake Placid for a total of 77 miles. I was SO glad to get a decent ride in until.... I looked at my garmin. I jut don't get it. My weekly TT's have me around 17.x, which I know is slow for some, but for me I'm happy with it. I stretch out to a long ride, and I become a lame donkey with a gimpy hip. I'm SO frustrated. On top of it, I think I had heatstroke as I just felt really nauseous and had a headache. Ggggrrr so frustrating. I also struggled again with nutrition. I want to try something other than bonk breakers. By the second hour I didn't want to eat anything. I know someone mentioned skratch labs, so I'm looking into that. Do you use just their products or supplement them with something else?

Lame as in you fall off to what?

How much did you drink?   Any salt tabs?  The issue with bonk breakers is that they ave 4g of fiber and 7g of protein.  Both promote satiety and slow digestion, so I have no doubt you didn't want to eat.  Over the course of a six hour ride I would eat a bar (preferrably one with less PRO and fiber) in the first hour and then switch to gels (even naturalish ones like Honey Stinger if need be) because they get you the cals and clear out of your stomach.  Maybe take in a second bar to kick off the last 3 hours.  This makes sure you have plenty of time to clear the solids by the time you hit the run.

Skratch is great for the hydration, but it won't give you enough cals without some help from somewhere else.

Or you can always go Infinit and get all your needs out of a liquid.  You just have to figure out the concentration ratio.

2013-06-03 1:21 PM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by cobratodd

That is one very difficult course! My swim was 34, the bike: 2:48, the run 1:41, with T1 and T2, my total was 5:10:37. 8 minutes faster than the coach estimated, but my body really feels the abuse and heat . I hurt.

I have pictures of you!

here's the big photo album of all of my Quassy pictures -- https://www.facebook.com/SonicEndurance?ref=hl#!/media/set/?set=a.20...
2013-06-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by kidtri33

Originally posted by jarvy01

It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?
I am sure T-Scott would be able to explain this better. The wife the other day said that I look 'different' I am not as 'muscular' as I was before. Luckily she added that is wasn't bad...just different haha. I would account this to the leaner muscle I am building and less bulk muscle from the bodybuilding/lifting days for me anyway. It could be similar that you are transitioning to leaner muscle????

Scott -- you want to explain Type I versus Type II muscles?

2013-06-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 Wow, nice job to the racers. There's some speedsters in this group! I actually do wear gloves. If I don't I will have a numb/ tingling thumb and pinky finger for a few days after a ride. I'm guessing that isn't healthy, hence gloves. This Saturday I rode from Plattsburgh - Lake Placid for a total of 77 miles. I was SO glad to get a decent ride in until.... I looked at my garmin. I jut don't get it. My weekly TT's have me around 17.x, which I know is slow for some, but for me I'm happy with it. I stretch out to a long ride, and I become a lame donkey with a gimpy hip. I'm SO frustrated. On top of it, I think I had heatstroke as I just felt really nauseous and had a headache. Ggggrrr so frustrating. I also struggled again with nutrition. I want to try something other than bonk breakers. By the second hour I didn't want to eat anything. I know someone mentioned skratch labs, so I'm looking into that. Do you use just their products or supplement them with something else?

Lame as in you fall off to what?

How much did you drink?   Any salt tabs?  The issue with bonk breakers is that they ave 4g of fiber and 7g of protein.  Both promote satiety and slow digestion, so I have no doubt you didn't want to eat.  Over the course of a six hour ride I would eat a bar (preferrably one with less PRO and fiber) in the first hour and then switch to gels (even naturalish ones like Honey Stinger if need be) because they get you the cals and clear out of your stomach.  Maybe take in a second bar to kick off the last 3 hours.  This makes sure you have plenty of time to clear the solids by the time you hit the run.

Skratch is great for the hydration, but it won't give you enough cals without some help from somewhere else.

Or you can always go Infinit and get all your needs out of a liquid.  You just have to figure out the concentration ratio.

A couple of questions and thoughts:

1. You need to drink (and you really should use a sports drink with Carbs and sodium -- you're looking at a bottle that has 240 calories and 600mg of sodium per 24 oz -- if you want to use Skratch that means three scoops per 24oz water bottle, if you're using Perform its three scoops as well). On AVERAGE you loose about 32 oz fluid / hour and 600-1200mg of sodium, if its hot, this goes up very quickly. Getting just 5% dehydrated starts to lead to massive performance decreases. While you may not "like" drinking, you can train your body to do so and it will have a big positive effect on your race on race day.

2. The tingling pinky finger may be Bell's palsy -- its actually fairly common for cyclists. It also may be that your hands are swelling due to electrolyte imbalance and that's cutting off circulation.

3. If you are going to use a Bonk Breaker bar (and Scott laready pointed out the portein-fat-fiber issues with them), so so early in the bike and then switch to something more easily digested (such as gels). I like Power Gels because they have 200 mg of sodium per gel.

4. When you train what do you use as your governor (e.g. HR, power, speed, RPE)? When you race, how do you pace?

5. When is the last time you had your bike fit?
2013-06-03 1:53 PM

User image

Expert

It's the Air Attack. Scott told me about it and I love it. I wear contacts and the shield keeps the dust out so much better and no frame covering your eyes. I got mine online from REI for $179 on a weekend sale.

http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&language...
2013-06-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kaburns1214

It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?
I am sure T-Scott would be able to explain this better. The wife the other day said that I look 'different' I am not as 'muscular' as I was before. Luckily she added that is wasn't bad...just different haha. I would account this to the leaner muscle I am building and less bulk muscle from the bodybuilding/lifting days for me anyway. It could be similar that you are transitioning to leaner muscle????

I'm talking about decrease in muscle and increase in fat on legs. They're actually softer and look like they have more fat on them than they did 2 years ago despite hours upon hours of training.
2013-06-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran

2:46 at my olympic tri yesterday. I had hoped for a faster time, but I'm ok with where I ended up. I am not a rabbit, and I need to be ok with that. My endurance is my strength, so I am going to focus on the fact that I have the ability to chug along all day long (and not the ability to do a 2 hour oly ).

Forecast predicted rain and coldish temps, but it ended up being sunny, windy, and 90 degrees.

Swim in the sleeved wetsuit went well. I was comfortable the entire time. In retrospect I think I could have pushed myself harder, which would have resulted in a faster swim split, but I really wanted to focus on my wetsuit, sighting, and maintaining proper body positioning while sighting. Arms got a little tired in the suit. I probably just need to swim in it more this summer.

Bike was ok. Lots of sharp turns. Really need to get better at those because I slow down a lot there. There was a flat, fast section with sweet tailwind, and it felts so good to fly. Hills at the end of the loop really got me. I need to work on shifting at the right time. The one hill was so steep I had to stand and grind because I didn't have any gears left. Positive was that I did better on the second loop. Smarter decisions were made there.

Run was great. Half of it was through tall grass, and I really suffered there. I honestly just tried to run steadily. 2 girls passed me (no girls passed me on bike), and I had to remind myself to run my own race.

A few silly little lessons I learned the hard way: (1) Sunscreen is important. I ended up with the sunburn from hell yesterday. Still hurts this morning. (2) Body glide around armpit area is important. I've never had to use it in that area before. I have never ever ever had a bad chaffing burn around my armpits like this. Layers of skin were removed. I've never seen anything like it. Sucks. It will never happen again!!!! (3) Take time to put on socks correctly. The reason I wear the socks is so I don't get blisters. I ended up yanking them on after the bike, and part of the sock was twisted around my pinky toe. Ummmm, yeah. My entire toe is a blister. It's HUGE!!!! During IM distance race, these things can't happen.

Sounds like a great race!! Awesome time! Great lessons for all of us.
2013-06-03 2:27 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?
I'm talking about decrease in muscle and increase in fat on legs. They're actually softer and look like they have more fat on them than they did 2 years ago despite hours upon hours of training.

My guess is you have the same if not less fat on your legs.  The issue is the type of muscle that is underneath the fat, or in your case lack thereof.  Type I muscles (slow twitch) are long and smooth for the most part.  They take up less room than their counterparts.  They also do a better job at using oxygen and produce little to no lactic acid.  It also takes fewer calories to hold onto this type of muscle than type IIa or IIx.  Type II muscle is what you think of when you think of bb'ers, football players, fitness models, etc.  This muscle better fills you out and is pretty vascular at low bf%s.  You also burn this type of muscle off pretty easily when in a caloric deficit and during prolonged moderate to high intensity cardio.

FWIW many of the elite AG female athletes in this area have the look you describe Jen.  It's why you'll hear endurance athletes called skinny fat.

2013-06-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by jarvy01 It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?

My guess is you have the same if not less fat on your legs.  The issue is the type of muscle that is underneath the fat, or in your case lack thereof.  Type I muscles (slow twitch) are long and smooth for the most part.  They take up less room than their counterparts.  They also do a better job at using oxygen and produce little to no lactic acid.  It also takes fewer calories to hold onto this type of muscle than type IIa or IIx.  Type II muscle is what you think of when you think of bb'ers, football players, fitness models, etc.  This muscle better fills you out and is pretty vascular at low bf%s.  You also burn this type of muscle off pretty easily when in a caloric deficit and during prolonged moderate to high intensity cardio.

FWIW many of the elite AG female athletes in this area have the look you describe Jen.  It's why you'll hear endurance athletes called skinny fat.

Thank you for this explanation, Scott. That makes sense.
2013-06-03 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I think I have caught all the chafe spots except for one ... I can't get the soft HR monitor to pair with my 310xt (had to buy a new one) and the old one is a long plastic/rubber monitor that chafes right underneath the boob!!! Doesn't matter how much body glide I put on ... argh

On a positive side I had my first really long brick Sunday (52 mile bike followed by 30 minute run). It was cold and windy as hell, but I feel really confident having done that workout now that my body is progressing. I am still freaked out adding a 13 mile run on the end of the bike, but I know I can at least do a few so I am very happy. Nutrition was good I think: I took in about 3.5 bottles on the bike and small 8 oz bottle on the run, with 1 cliff block every 20 minutes.
2013-06-03 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
That is a great race!!! Congrats!
2013-06-03 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Sounds like a great race Jen. Your husband sure did take some great pics.

Running through tall grass though? Trail run?
2013-06-03 6:00 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Congrats on a good race!

2013-06-03 6:10 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by carrie639

Sounds like a great race Jen. Your husband sure did take some great pics.

Running through tall grass though? Trail run?

Half of it was trails. Yikes! So not my thing but I was a fighter. It's almost like more muscles are used on trails or something. I have a history of ankle sprains so there is that fear too. Never again for me. Lol
2013-06-03 7:02 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

That is one very difficult course! My swim was 34, the bike: 2:48, the run 1:41, with T1 and T2, my total was 5:10:37. 8 minutes faster than the coach estimated, but my body really feels the abuse and heat . I hurt.

I have pictures of you!

here's the big photo album of all of my Quassy pictures -- https://www.facebook.com/SonicEndurance?ref=hl#!/media/set/?set=a.20...

Thanks Kelly - It was good seeing you there. There really are some amazing athletes out there - it must be pretty cool helping them reach their potential... I can see 3 options: A) should have started 25 years ago, or B) losing another 25 pounds and focusing more time on training and diet - if I didn't have to work and raise two boys, would help, or C) finding peace with what I can do and just try to keep from getting slower as long as possible. Looks like C it is.

I will say the HUGE number of volunteers that helped out and the cheering fans - WOW, what a big impact that has when you get beaten down by the sun, hills, and heat!!! Then when I saw by 7 and 9 year old cheering outside of T2, I almost lost it - so much power in that alone.
2013-06-04 5:43 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Veteran

There is a DIY visor option out there. I will need to find the link again. It does require you to cut into the helmet a little though. If done right it looks very good and is legal. I have the same helmet but I don't have the issue with the glasses. Perhaps it is just flexibility or your position that is different from mine. I will post here once I find the link.
With the link: http://mariusheier.no/trening_og_sykkel/2009/05/how-to-fit-a-louis-...

The forum link with other pics and info: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

Thank you Larkin. I will see if I can give this a shot next week or so. I appreciate it.
2013-06-04 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran

I have pictures of you!

Thanks Kelly - It was good seeing you there. There really are some amazing athletes out there - it must be pretty cool helping them reach their potential... I can see 3 options: A) should have started 25 years ago, or B) losing another 25 pounds and focusing more time on training and diet - if I didn't have to work and raise two boys, would help, or C) finding peace with what I can do and just try to keep from getting slower as long as possible. Looks like C it is.

I will say the HUGE number of volunteers that helped out and the cheering fans - WOW, what a big impact that has when you get beaten down by the sun, hills, and heat!!! Then when I saw by 7 and 9 year old cheering outside of T2, I almost lost it - so much power in that alone.

I can't figure out how to highlight...so pretend I am highlighting C. No offense, but aren't you running 1/2 marathons at like a 6 something pace and aren't you basically setting PRs and are posting awesome times for your races? So, I would say that you are doing more than slowing down.
2013-06-04 6:42 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Would be nice to go outside for a run in the morning, however, not when the Elgin Police are hanging around. Last time they spent this much time around I was walking the dog as they were running towards and surrounding a house with guns drawn! Need to get out of here!!!

2013-06-04 6:44 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mleech77

Todd, Jen, sounds like y'all both had good races, way to go!.  Mine went pretty well.  

The water temp was high enough it wasn't wetsuit legal.  The swim was a lot more challenging than I expected.  I took y'alls and a few other's advice, when the horn went off I waited a few seconds for the area to clear up a lil before setting off.  As I caught up with some of the swimmers that are just a little slower than me the jostling began.  The visibility was horrible, I couldn't even see my arms/hands in front of me while swimming.  Even with using the snorkel I was constantly pausing to catch my breath, switching to side stroke, or just treading water for a second.  The Sprint swim was parallel to the shore and we had the current with us so that helped, plus the fact that it was 5' of water so if all else failed, just stand up.  The chop was pushing us towards shore, and either I'm a lot stronger of a puller with my left than I know, or I was way overcompensating because I was constantly having to re-correct my direction.  Even with all that I still pulled a 10:22 which is just a little above my 100/m average.

The bike felt really good.  The adjustments the fitter did earlier in the week really opened my body up and I was able to stay on the aero bars for pretty much the whole race.  Putting the water bottle on the aero bars definitely reminded me to drink as well.  My chiropractor mentioned that the knee problem I was experiencing during my last two races probably was as a result of my pedaling style so I focused on that.  Keeping the legs straight, feet flat, and pulling as well as pushing.  A nice smooth circle with my feet parallel to the bike.  

I struggled a bit on the run.  Coming out of transition I took it easy this time.  The past two events I started out at my regular pace and quickly found myself out of breath and needing to walk for a bit to let myself adjust.  This time though there was no need for that.  Eased into my pace, no twinges in my knee as I stepped up the pace a bit, but then side/stomach cramping reared it's ugly head.  As a result the run was a constant mix of run/walk in order to let the cramps subside.  Not sure whether it is my breathing or maybe with the better access to water I drank too much on the bike.  During the first half of the run I had to deal with cramping more, but during the 2nd half it started to clear up.  

Still happy with the result despite the difficulties.  Like Jen, I'm rather sun burned today.  I applied prior to the swim, but opted not to spend time in transition re-applying.  The bike had a decent amount of shade, but the run had none at all.

My next race is a mini sprint this weekend.  Since it's local my wife will actually be able to come out and cheer me on so I'm looking forward to that.

It sounds like you had a great day! Running off the bike will get easier the more you do it, so just keep working on it. I believe I read somewhere that side stitches are the result of taking in too much air / breathing pattern. Not sure if I have it right or not. Those are such a pain. Anyway, congratulations!!!! I hope your wife is able to make it to your sprint this weekend.
2013-06-04 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Low cadence intervals and t run this morning. Glad to be done for the day. The boys have their last swim lesson today. My 3 year old allowed the instructor to dunk him under the water 2 weeks ago. We'll see if he allows it again. Swim team starts next week so lots of early mornings with my little ones.
2013-06-04 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

2100 in the pool this morning.  Felt good.  Need to slip a 30 minute run in later.

Long night last night.  You know it's going to be that way when the baby wakes up 3 hours before she normally does to eat.  Nap time?

2013-06-04 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Had to get up early to get to work early today so everything is pushed back right now but I have a ZR/Z1 ahead of me with a Z1/Z2 run. I am looking forward to the ride to get some soreness out of the legs.

Weather for this weekends race is looking like a high around 89 so low 80s hopefully by finishing time, Water temps in the high 70s to low 80s depending on how cool it gets at night. 30% chance of T-Storms. Sucky part is the next couple of days are cool and low humidity. I kinda wish it would be closer to race day weather so I can get more time to acclimate.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86